Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

Wink Does anyone else sometimes see food as VOLUME and not CALORIES?

This is slowly becoming a ridiculous problem of mine. It starts because I hate waking up with a flat stomach and then by 5:00 PM I'm bloated. So I find myself drinking minimal amounts of water. Or I'll totally eat a Reese's but hesitate on a huge healthy salad.

I know, I'm weird. And it's making me not drink enough water. Has anyone else gotten over this phobia, and how????
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Because I eat huge salads every day and drink a ton of water and keep shrinking. I'll have two whole squashes/zucchini as an appetizer before dinner.

Think of the CALORIES not the VOLUME.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #3  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

im very much a volume eater too...i would MUCH prefer a huge healthy salad over something very small and more dense in calories
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 287/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I think of it the other way around. If I feel bloated, I drink a lot of water to flush it out. And I would much rather spend 20 minutes eating a huge salad then one minute eating something small with just as many calories. I try to bulk up my meals in terms of volume while keeping the calories low so that I feel satisfied after the meal. I hate the feeling of "OMG, THAT little bite was 200 calories!!"
Texas Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I tend to be a volume eater, too, which I have had to limit to not overstuff myself. Calories matter, so I try and spend them wisely, but I'm now realizing that satiety matters even more!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I'd rather eat a lot of volume in 200 calories, then something minimal and not satisfying
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Because I eat huge salads every day and drink a ton of water and keep shrinking. I'll have two whole squashes/zucchini as an appetizer before dinner.

Think of the CALORIES not the VOLUME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
im very much a volume eater too...i would MUCH prefer a huge healthy salad over something very small and more dense in calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Yankee View Post
I think of it the other way around. If I feel bloated, I drink a lot of water to flush it out. And I would much rather spend 20 minutes eating a huge salad then one minute eating something small with just as many calories. I try to bulk up my meals in terms of volume while keeping the calories low so that I feel satisfied after the meal. I hate the feeling of "OMG, THAT little bite was 200 calories!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I tend to be a volume eater, too, which I have had to limit to not overstuff myself. Calories matter, so I try and spend them wisely, but I'm now realizing that satiety matters even more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedollylala View Post
I'd rather eat a lot of volume in 200 calories, then something minimal and not satisfying
Ditto to all of the above!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I don't find that drinking a lot of water or eating a huge low calorie pile of veggies makes me bloated. Actually, the more regularly I drink water, the less bloated I end up feeling. A huge plate of salad might make me feel very full for an hour at most, but it doesn't make me feel gross and bloated.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotothegymOKAY View Post
It starts because I hate waking up with a flat stomach and then by 5:00 PM I'm bloated.
I understand what you're saying but unless you're running around in a mid drift or bikiini I have to question what difference it makes?

Also - for me anyways - the composition of the food I eat makes a difference. For example carbs tend to bloat my belly much more than protein or fat. So perhaps you can experiment and find out if there are foods or a food group that will bloat you more than others.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #10  
Empress/Queen

For me, calories are the main focus and I don't really mind a flat stomach, in fact I LIKE a flat stomach lol.

For me, it is the composition of the food that has to do with if I feel bloated, but I almost never do feel that way. Being hydrated and careful with carbs AND calories precludes this.

I am not really interested, though, in having a large volume of food so much as feeling happy and satisfied with my choices.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

Also - for me anyways - the composition of the food I eat makes a difference. For example carbs tend to bloat my belly much more than protein or fat. So perhaps you can experiment and find out if there are foods or a food group that will bloat you more than others.
I will completely second this. If the absolute only thing I ate during my day was one little mini reeses and I would have a huge bloated stomach all day. On the other hand, eggs for breakfast, a salad bigger than my head, a bowl of homemade chili and 80+ ounces of water during the day (before dinner) and there is no change in my stomach and my weight will be lower than it was in the morning...and I will be a much happy person because I'm not starving.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

When my health problems were just starting to get diagnosed, one of my doctors recommended a symptom log (which included a diet log) and I started seeing that diet affected my symptoms.

It really hit home (there in black and white on the pages in front of me) that high-volume foods that were also low in calorie provided so many health benefits, that I really needed to concentrate on eating the food that gave me the most volume for the calorie.

The low-volume/high-calorie foods also had the worst health impacts - so I started seeing "concentrated" food sources as being far inferior to "diluted" foods. Those with a lot of water and fiber for few calories.

The book "Volumetrics" really helped me see this connection. Eating more to lose more (eating more volume and fewer calories) has truly changed my life.

The only time I can get into the "small food" mindset, is on weigh-in day at my TOPS meeting. I find myself eating "lighter" food during the day (because I don't want the weight of the undigested food showing up on the scale).

I remind myself that this is silly though, because volume/mass doesn't matter in the long run.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

I understand what you are saying. The dreaded "food baby"!
In the past, I've gotten into the same head space--and avoided eating all day to keep my stomach flat, then pigged out when I got home.
I'm trying not to do that this time.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #14  
too big to fail

Try to avoid salty foods- one tablespoon of soy sauce and I feel like a parade balloon.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote