Ideal Protein Diet - Alcohol related posts

View Full Version : Alcohol related posts

des692781
07-10-2012, 10:37 AM
I've come across a few posts asking about alcohol.

I came across this on SparkPeople thought I would share.

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body.

NOVAScents
07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Interesting!

evepet
07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I've come across a few posts asking about alcohol.

I came across this on SparkPeople thought I would share.

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body.

I used to be quite a wine drinker, and I'm positive that's how/when I started my weight gain problems. :devil: This explains it well. Thankfully it hasn't been much of an issue during this diet, although I had to talk myself out of a detour to the LCBO yesterday when I was out and about. I kept strong. :D Stayed 100%.

Kaypix
07-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Huh, very interesting, thanks!

patns
07-11-2012, 12:14 AM
This is very good information.

locopollo
07-11-2012, 12:24 AM
I used to be quite a wine drinker, and I'm positive that's how/when I started my weight gain problems. :devil: This explains it well. Thankfully it hasn't been much of an issue during this diet, although I had to talk myself out of a detour to the LCBO yesterday when I was out and about. I kept strong. :D Stayed 100%.

Me too. Sigh. I'm carrying around 20 pounds of beer and wine. Some cookies too, but mostly beer and wine. And unfortunately abstaining on its own does not get rid of it.

Beck81
07-11-2012, 12:24 AM
My coach told me eating carbs can take you out of ketosis for a few days but alcohol can take you out for a week! Not worth it to me.

MaryL
07-11-2012, 01:08 AM
good bad or otherwise tonite I am having a beer lol

napalmtree
07-11-2012, 01:28 AM
This is why I don't eat 2 hours before drinking, and don't eat again until I feel sober. xD I still have decent self-control even while hammered. I've never done anything stupid while drunk, tried to drive drunk, etc. Guess I'm just lucky.

barri1970
07-11-2012, 08:46 AM
I am going on vacation next week and still in phase 1. I have been PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT thus far...I wanted to be able to have a drink or two while on vacation that will not totally derail what I have accomplished...any suggestions???

Ugh73
07-11-2012, 09:11 AM
My coach told me eating carbs can take you out of ketosis for a few days but alcohol can take you out for a week! Not worth it to me.

This is not true.
I have tested this myself, as soon as the alcohol is processed (aprox. an hour per drink) you are right back in ketosis. Unless you drunkenly hit the drive thru :)

Ugh73
07-11-2012, 09:13 AM
"Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

No and yes. The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption."

Source http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html

There ya go. I find my tolerance to alcohol waaaay lower, so watch out.

barri1970
07-11-2012, 09:15 AM
This is not true.
I have tested this myself, as soon as the alcohol is processed (aprox. an hour per drink) you are right back in ketosis. Unless you drunkenly hit the drive thru :)

What do you drink? Like I had said earlier in my post...I am going on vacation and looking for something to drink that will not hinder my weightloss that much...PLEASE I NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!!

Ugh73
07-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Here's another source
http://ketogenicdiet.hubpages.com/hub/Drinking-Alcohol-on-the-Ketogenic-Diet

Ugh73
07-11-2012, 09:27 AM
What do you drink? Like I had said earlier in my post...I am going on vacation and looking for something to drink that will not hinder my weightloss that much...PLEASE I NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!!

Read the link above this post, it has suggestions and calorie/carb breakdowns

Personally I drink a light beer from time to time and while on this diet (IP alternatives, reached my goal and going for 5 more although people say I'm too skinny)
My drink of choice is vodka/water with lemon. Stay away from sugary drinks/mixers/juices/shots. Flavored Vodka is good too with water or the occasional splash of soda water. Stoli blueberry is yummy, grey goose pear too, either would be really good extra chilled in a martini glass for sipping.
I have even had vodka/water/and a bit of Proti Diet concentrated protein mix. Peach mango or the kiwi one, yum!

CarCamMom
07-11-2012, 10:06 AM

I had a glass of wine on Saturday at a very good friend's wedding. I'm now still trying to get back on track. Yesterday was horrible and like starting over again. I hope today is better! Won't have that wine again for a while!

evepet
07-11-2012, 10:53 AM
I had a glass of wine on Saturday at a very good friend's wedding. I'm now still trying to get back on track. Yesterday was horrible and like starting over again. I hope today is better! Won't have that wine again for a while!

Thanks for posting this. It'll help me steer clear of any future urge to visit the LCBO. For some odd reason I had the urge to do that yesterday - but talked myself out of it. If it happens again I'll just remind myself of the difficulties you had in getting back on track after your glass of wine at your friend's wedding. Hope today is going better for you. :)

Ugh73
07-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Meh, I'll have several cockails (vodka /water) and am in ketosis when I test the afternoon after. I just drink extra water that day too.

rubyh
07-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I personally did drink on occasion while in phase 1, usually I would have a glass of red wine. But if having alcohol, I would have Chic-fil-a diet lemonade(made with splenda) and vodka. It's very tasty. The thing I have noticed about drinking while on this diet, is that when I weigh at home on my scale, which includes, wt, body fat %, BMI, visceral fat, etc after I've drank, my body fat % is always up. SO even if the weight is down, body fat % is increased. Just my personal experience.

mira55
10-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I am going on vacation next week and still in phase 1. I have been PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT thus far...I wanted to be able to have a drink or two while on vacation that will not totally derail what I have accomplished...any suggestions???

I suggest you stay away from cocktails made by blending alcohol with sugary mixers (margaritas, piña coladas, fruit daiquiris, cocktails with fruit juice etc.) These will raise your blood sugar and insulin levels and therefore add the stubborn fat.
However, I recommend you look through this book, it explains alcohol and weight loss perfectly - and you can find tons of low cal recipes, with calories for each. Very useful, I have it at home: www.dietingcocktails.com.

Good luck! ;)

mira55
10-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Meh, I'll have several cockails (vodka /water) and am in ketosis when I test the afternoon after. I just drink extra water that day too.
:carrot:
This book will be perfect for you, then. Lotsa recipes of vodka & water, club soda, diet cranberry juice or diet tonic & lemon. Please check the reviews, DietingCocktails . com

Momto2cs
10-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Alcohol does not stop ketosis for a week. When you drink alcohol the body uses it for energy, which can temporarily halt ketosis. Assuming you are drinking sugar free drinks this effect will only be tempoary.

Warning-if you have been on ip for a while and lost weight the alcohol can really hit you.

sweetsloan
10-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Vodka has 0 carbs...I have had it and stayed in ketosis and did not hinder my weightloss. I am also going on vacation and will be drinking vodka!!

WinterWarm
10-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Vodka has 0 carbs...I have had it and stayed in ketosis and did not hinder my weightloss. I am also going on vacation and will be drinking vodka!!
It's not exactly a diet drink, though... ;)

healthyangie
10-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Just my 2 cents. I did have vodka & club with lemon/lime 2 times during P1. What I noticed 1) I get drunk quick on P1, had 2 drinks and I was looped! 2) I stayed in Ketosis (but remember my body at that point was burning the alcohol first) 3) I got slightly dehydrated so REALLY pour down the water 4) my loss was slightly down but not much (again, I only had 2 drinks each time though). If you do go the vodka route - make sure to get good stuff like Rain Organics and not Potatoe vodka. The higher number of distills the better. I am NOT recommending you do it, in hind sight I knew what I was doing and don't necessarily regret it, but it really wasn't worth it in the long run. Not because of the weight loss, but because of the pancreas.

megscarles
10-17-2012, 07:06 PM
this thread really helps me!! I am planning a "cheat day" for my birthday, but didn't want to totally go crazy. I will def take this info into consideration, and hopefully stay in ketosis! Yippee!

maezy1
10-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Definitely helps Mardo GRas is a few short months away and friends are flying down to play!!

megscarles
10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Definitely helps Mardo GRas is a few short months away and friends are flying down to play!!

Exactly!!

megscarles
10-22-2012, 05:56 PM
wow- I had my first drink in a month yesterday for a football party. I had 3 drinks (firefly vodka & water) and had to go lie down because I felt like I had way too much! I woke up with the absolute WORST hangover. I am still feeling awful! My advice- take it easy when you drink on IP or even better - don't drink at all. The horrific hangover is not worth it!

deelee10
10-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all this information.

WhoDat730
10-24-2012, 08:24 PM
I had a few drinks recently, the first one at dinner, normally it takes a lot to get me drunk, and halfway threw that vodka, wow I was feeling, lol. I felt very dehydrated and hung over the next day. Lots of extra water that day!

My friend had bariatric sleeve surgery (she was a big drinker before) and after surgery she couldn't hold down alcohol until she figures out if she mixed vodka with her EAS vanilla shake she could keep it down. The things some people will do to drink, lol. I'm from New Orleans, so maybe that's just a local thing, hehe :)

guil28
10-27-2012, 04:08 PM
I was wondering about the effects of alcohol... I was told it was a big nono by my coach... I would love to be able to have an occasionnal drink but I am terrified that it will mess up my results for the week!

whitehpe
10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
I started Phase 1 on October 4 knowing that I will be skiing in Colorado for Thanksgiving. My coach will have me go on the "alternative" Phase 1 while on vacation. From what I have read, I am to have carbs 3 time a day in the form of grain, fruit, and dairy. I don't plan on splurging, but I will enjoy a beer apres ski. I just don't want to shock my metabolism or gain anything I have lost by trip time.