Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/157/110

Height: 5'0

Default Alcohol related posts

I've come across a few posts asking about alcohol.

I came across this on SparkPeople thought I would share.

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body.
des692781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/176/155

Height: 5'9"

Interesting!
NOVAScents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #3  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by des692781 View Post
I've come across a few posts asking about alcohol.

I came across this on SparkPeople thought I would share.

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body.
I used to be quite a wine drinker, and I'm positive that's how/when I started my weight gain problems. This explains it well. Thankfully it hasn't been much of an issue during this diet, although I had to talk myself out of a detour to the LCBO yesterday when I was out and about. I kept strong. Stayed 100%.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #4  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

Huh, very interesting, thanks!
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

This is very good information.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 145/124.8/120

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I used to be quite a wine drinker, and I'm positive that's how/when I started my weight gain problems. This explains it well. Thankfully it hasn't been much of an issue during this diet, although I had to talk myself out of a detour to the LCBO yesterday when I was out and about. I kept strong. Stayed 100%.
Me too. Sigh. I'm carrying around 20 pounds of beer and wine. Some cookies too, but mostly beer and wine. And unfortunately abstaining on its own does not get rid of it.
locopollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #7  
Started IP 4/23/12

S/C/G: 232/129/132

Height: 5'3"

My coach told me eating carbs can take you out of ketosis for a few days but alcohol can take you out for a week! Not worth it to me.
Beck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

good bad or otherwise tonite I am having a beer lol
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/125

Height: 5'1

This is why I don't eat 2 hours before drinking, and don't eat again until I feel sober. xD I still have decent self-control even while hammered. I've never done anything stupid while drunk, tried to drive drunk, etc. Guess I'm just lucky.
napalmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/175/145

I am going on vacation next week and still in phase 1. I have been PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT thus far...I wanted to be able to have a drink or two while on vacation that will not totally derail what I have accomplished...any suggestions???
barri1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck81 View Post
My coach told me eating carbs can take you out of ketosis for a few days but alcohol can take you out for a week! Not worth it to me.
This is not true.
I have tested this myself, as soon as the alcohol is processed (aprox. an hour per drink) you are right back in ketosis. Unless you drunkenly hit the drive thru
Ugh73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #12  

"Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

No and yes. The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption."

Source http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html

There ya go. I find my tolerance to alcohol waaaay lower, so watch out.

Last edited by Ugh73; 07-11-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 188/175/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugh73 View Post
This is not true.
I have tested this myself, as soon as the alcohol is processed (aprox. an hour per drink) you are right back in ketosis. Unless you drunkenly hit the drive thru
What do you drink? Like I had said earlier in my post...I am going on vacation and looking for something to drink that will not hinder my weightloss that much...PLEASE I NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!!
barri1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #14  

Here's another source
http://ketogenicdiet.hubpages.com/hu...Ketogenic-Diet
Old 07-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by barri1970 View Post
What do you drink? Like I had said earlier in my post...I am going on vacation and looking for something to drink that will not hinder my weightloss that much...PLEASE I NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!!
Read the link above this post, it has suggestions and calorie/carb breakdowns

Personally I drink a light beer from time to time and while on this diet (IP alternatives, reached my goal and going for 5 more although people say I'm too skinny)
My drink of choice is vodka/water with lemon. Stay away from sugary drinks/mixers/juices/shots. Flavored Vodka is good too with water or the occasional splash of soda water. Stoli blueberry is yummy, grey goose pear too, either would be really good extra chilled in a martini glass for sipping.
I have even had vodka/water/and a bit of Proti Diet concentrated protein mix. Peach mango or the kiwi one, yum!

Last edited by Ugh73; 07-11-2012 at 09:32 AM.