General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #1  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Stress-related Plateau?

So, I've been known to have pretty bad anxiety and stress issues. My mind likes to make my life a living ****, really. This week, I've been planning a trip to NYC at the end of July and it has been putting more pressure on me. I noticed the other day that I hadn't gained or lost any weight since Monday. I think it might be stress related because I have probably been burning more calories than normal this week and I haven't been bingeing or being naughty about eating, and that's the only thing that has been different about the last several weeks.

Does anyone else experience stress-plateaus? How do you deal? I just want to break this barrier down and get beyond this 10 lb marker.

I'm worried that my stress will double when I start school in like 6 weeks and I just won't lose any weight until I go on vacation again. (I'm even getting stressed about things that haven't even happened!!!!!)

Also, does anyone here take anti-anxiety meds?
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Cortisol is thought to mess with one's ability to lose weight. Do you exercise to help with stress relief?

I do take anti-anxiety meds. I have a regular anti-depressant that I take daily, and I have Xanax that I take as needed. Sometimes I need it more than other times--I can go months without taking one and then I'll find myself running at a higher level of anxiety or anticipating something really stressful (for me, public speaking) and I'll take them for a bit. For me it really, really helps. What would you like to know?
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #3  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I regularly exercise just to exercise. Someone on Tumblr suggested I exercise to relieve stress, but I don't know. I feel like everything has just slowed down and my body has become sluggish.

I only have one question. Does your medication interfere with your weight or eating habits? Do you feel it aids you in those areas or is it an added obstacle?
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #4  
Losing tiny horses

S/C/G: 173/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Sometimes when I'm stressed I forget to drink enough water. Make sure you're getting enough each day to avoid water retention! Also, for natural stress relief without meds, look into Inositol (available at Whole Foods or online). My psychiatrist actually recommended it to me. I'm on Lexapro, an antidepressant, which helps more with depression than stress.

Note: I've been working feverishly on a presentation this week so have been eating late in the day and not getting enough water so I've plateaued too! I'm going to carry around a water bottle today and get my breakfast in me early (like now!).

I'm on a combination of lexapro, abilify and lamictal and I put on 20 lbs in 6 months with the lamictal. Taking it off 2 years later now!

Last edited by carbstart; 07-07-2012 at 02:09 PM.
carbstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #5  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I'm on lexapro too (for depression). Neither the lexapro nor the xanax have any effect on my weight/eating.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote