Atkins - July Atkins Chat Thread

View Full Version : July Atkins Chat Thread

ghost
07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Happy July all! Hope everyone is doing good and had a great holiday. If ell off the wagon a. Bit but guess what, it made me feel like poo and I've jumped back on with gusto today. Went shopping and stocked up on all my staples. I'm ready for a whole week of on plan meals, which is important because I'm on vacation and not having a plan and a routine is where I fell off the wain over the weekend (that and the new guy I'm seeing is a freaking food and beer pusher...sheeeesh!).

So, let's hear how everyone did over the holiday with all those vats of potato salad calling their names???

gapeach
07-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Good job getting back to plan! I did fine, I worked most of the day so it wasn't an issue for me.

Serenity100
07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Hi Ghost!, (and everyone else) you are more than welcome to join the Labor Day Challenge thread. Lots of chatting in there. Since we are a relatively small group we use that as the daily chat also. Keeps things easy peasy, no need to look at a bunch of threads.

I'm going on vacation for two weeks, but when I return I will have plenty of time for chatting. talk to you then.:)

ghost
07-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Sorry, I didn't join the challenge, didn't realize a July chat thread would be such a problem.

mustlose72
07-09-2012, 09:25 AM
I didn't join it either and am more interested in a more generic chat thread. Let's keep this one going.

Kamiro
07-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi Ladies :) Today is day1 of me for Atkins.
I have 4 children, my oldest being 7 my youngest being 2 months. I did Atkins years ago and had great success, but had a 10 year slide and am now teetering around 300 pounds.
This is a lifestyle change for me, and after giving birth and all the other challenges in life I have faced- totally know I can do this.

Today for Breakfast I am having an omelette. Going to go make it before the babe cries. I plan on being a daily poster ;) Having a place to 'go' online helped me to quit smoking, so I figure same can be said for here!

Mango30
07-09-2012, 11:39 PM
I agree, keep the monthly chat going...I'm new and haven't joined a challenge so being able to jump on a chat thread is better...to me...JMHO.

So, other newbies! Yay! I'm not alone. I too have low carbed before, most recently Dukan style last summer around this time. Then I got knocked up. Now I'm back at it trying to lose the baby bump leftovers. I gained 22 lbs being pregnant and gave birth, weighed, and I had only lost...3 lbs. So, 19 lbs up from my last high weight...I've got alot of work ahead of me. *heavy sigh*

Making pot roast tonight, serving with broccoli and a small side salad with blue cheese dressing (Litehouse brand). Gotta go...someone is screaming (hint, its not me).

Kamiro
07-10-2012, 03:10 AM
Mango - I havent even weighed myself since having baby two months ago. I don't even know how much I gained. I am about the same size as before pregnancy, but that isn't even really anything to crow about as the last time I weighed during pregnancy I was 312.

Been on Atkins just over 24 hours and omg, I have been starving. I keep eating but nothing is filling me up.
I ate:
Eggs, mushrooms, cheese and spinach 'omelette'
2 double cheeseburgers sans bun and mayo and ketchup
2 cups lettuce with some parmesan cheese and 5 grape tomatoes
6" beef hot dog
2 snack pack sugar free jello
3 chicken thighs with skin
1 palm sized steak
2 mozzerella sticks
couple portions of gouda cheese

I have drank about 4 waters and 1 16 ounce diet pepsi.
Seriously, I feel like a pig and I am STILL hungry.

Is this because I am nursing?

Kamiro
07-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Good lord,
add 6 sugar snap peas and 1 more mozzarella stick on.

Drinking another 16 oz. of water...With all the cookies, cereals, and breads around (and blueberries and strawberries. sooo tempted to eat one today) I guess I should be happy with myself.

ghost
07-10-2012, 06:52 PM
It might be from breast feeding? I was ravenous for about the first two weeks I was breast feeding my son (10 years ago). Maybe adjust your macronutrient intake to include more fat? Hopefully after you go through Atkins flu (if you do) your appetite will self regulate better. Your brain is probably fighting you for carbs right now. When you become fat adapted its almost like a natural appitite suppressant. Good luck newbies! I'm 10 weeks in and still eating just above induction level carbs. I have stalls and whooshes so don't get discouraged if the scale stops moving in the next two weeks, your body is saving up for a whoosh.

Simona
07-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Kamiro...are you eating at set intervals or grazing throughout the day? I had to schedule my meals to every 2 hours. When I did that I found I was less hungry and I would get hungry at meal time. I used to be a grazer and found when I did that I would never be full. Even after my gastric bypass, if I graze all day I'll never have a full pouch.

And yes, nursing will make you hungrier because you are burning more calories while nursing [think it's 500 calories per day more - that's what I remember reading].

TiffNeedsChange
07-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Good lord,
add 6 sugar snap peas and 1 more mozzarella stick on.

Drinking another 16 oz. of water...With all the cookies, cereals, and breads around (and blueberries and strawberries. sooo tempted to eat one today) I guess I should be happy with myself.

I would check with your doctor to make sure that Atkins is ok while breastfeeding... Everything you eat is in your milk and you may need some different nutrients since your body is sucking yours into the breast milk. I breastfed my son and made sure I was eating a very well balanced meal and never really got that hungry so it is worth asking your doc about. :)

Kamiro
07-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks ladies. :)
I was grazing mostly - today I have been eating meals much closer together and more filling.
Breakfast I tried mock pancakes (eh - dont think I did them right) , 3 turkey sausage links and 2 eggs.
Lunch I ate a whole head of romaine lettuce hearts salad with turkey and eggs and about 4 sugar snap peas on top with 2 tblsp ranch. Was delicious.
For snack I have ate a string cheese, another jello sugar free cup.
For dinner I just ate almost a pound of beef stew meat while I was preparing the kids' dinner (I was famished and mac n cheese and blueberries was calling me!) and a chicken thigh, 5 devilled eggs, and about 2 cups worth of mock mashed potatoes.

I am in trace amount of ketones after 36 hours on diet.
Drank about 4 bottles of water so far.
Does this sound like an excessive amount of food for induction?

Tiff in re: breastfeeding, my 3rd baby has a dr check up tomorrow. I will be sure to ask.i think outside of no fruit and a bit excessive on the meat and devilled eggs ---this diet is healthier than how I have been eating ---but I am also not a nutritionist and I have the body to prove it. lol

I did google and it seems that bfing while on atkins there was no clear consensus...

How are you all doing today?
What did you live on while on induction? I won't eat shellfish or pork products so I was way disappointed to see quite a few yummy mock style recipes that required pork rinds. :(

islandchick1
07-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Hi ladies! :wave:
I appreciate the generic chat thread :) Thanks for starting it ghost.
I'm feeling a little frustrated with myself but hope that everyone else is doing good on Atkins! :)

Mango30
07-11-2012, 01:36 AM
Kamiro: Don't feel bad for feeling like you are overeating, you are feeding another human being with your body. I'm betting you are eating enough to sustain your milk supply. I'm wondering what the science is behind breast milk production, because I know there is a lot of glucose in that, but your body can make glucose from protein, so if you are low carb just make sure you get adequate levels of protein for that conversion. If I'm up all night with a screamer I'll definitely do some one armed googling to research it for us.

I did ask my doc about low carbing while breast feeding last week and she said to just keep my carbs around 50-75 grams and when I stop breastfeeding I can go to induction levels. She is a low carber for life though so you would probably get a different answer from a different provider. She had ovarian cancer and adopted a ketogenic lifestyle while in treatment to starve her cancer cells of the glucose that it thrives on and she is 5 years cancer free now (I had to hear her whole story when I brought it up, but it was very interesting to hear).

Soooo, today...baby girl has been grumpy and screaming all day, if I'm not holding her she is discontent. My son finally had it and went to his Dads house because I was asking him to do everything for me. Granted, I should not rely on him for stuff, but really, when he's standing next to the linen closet and I need a towel...I'm going to ask him to hand me one. Geeze.

Its almost 9:30pm here and she went to sleep about 30 minutes ago and its the only real sleep she's done today. Hopefully she'll be down for the night...or most of it anyways. I'm just checking in here and then I'm crashing! Today I ate leftover pot roast from yesterday, nibbling all day since I only had one hand to work with most of the day so I couldn't really cook anything. I have chicken thawed out so I'm going to have to cook that tomorrow or I might as well throw it away. Also, my sister brought me some bacon that she even pre-cooked for me, and a bag of shrimp, pre-cooked and peeled (and a loaf of fresh home baked bread for my son).

I'm definitely thankful for the supportive people in my life. My ex is great with taking our Son and Baby Girls Dad is out fishing making that money so I'm alone a lot of the time. Thank goodness I'm too busy to notice most of the time, lol!

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow, I'll check in again tomorrow night.

Simona
07-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi ladies! :wave:
I appreciate the generic chat thread :) Thanks for starting it ghost.
I'm feeling a little frustrated with myself but hope that everyone else is doing good on Atkins! :)

What's frustrating you??? Share..maybe we can help :)

islandchick1
07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks for asking Simona :)
I'm just feeling frustrated and irritated that I am staying on plan and I am just sliding up and down the scale in the 230's. I get close to breaking out then BAM I am back up. I have been using some superb will power thinking it will pay off and then BAM it doesn't. I know it's a process, and maybe I'm being a little impatient, but it is still frustrating to me to be good and not see good results. Sorry this was long and rantish :lol:

ghost
07-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Kamiro and Mango30: I'm pretty sure low carbing and breast feeding is safe, as long as your getting enough food to eat and the essential vitamins you should be fine. Mango is right, our bodies will use a process called gluconeogenesis to convert our extra protein to glucose, that is why Atkins and other ketogenic diets ae moderate protein or adequate protein diets, because if you eat too much protein you'll produce glucose and an insulin response will be triggered and what we are really trying to avoid with this way of eating is that insulin response that triggers fat storage.

Islandchick, sorry your yo-young, have you tried keeping a food journal to try and pinpoint where you are making mistakes? Maybe a bit of carb creep is the problem?

Simona
07-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Islandchick...I agree...keep a journal - sometimes we can eat too much or even too little and it's stalling our weight loss.

Ive been going between 260 and 258 FOREVER and it's driving me nuts. When I look back at my journal I realize I'm eating way too little.

islandchick1
07-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Simona> Ghost...
Yes, I keep a journal on fitday. What I am thinking about doing is just starting Induction completely over. I am having a very hard time drinking all this water. I feel like if I exploded, I would water everyone's yards for miles around :lol:

Thanks for the advice though! I guess the 230's will be over when they want to be :halfempty:

Kamiro
07-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Thanks for all the friendliness ladies :) I wish I had some advice to offer Island...maybe 3 days of induction would give you enough of a boost? maybe a little more exercise for the the next couple days? I don't know - i wish I could help!

I talked to the PA (It is becoming increasingly harder to see a Dr!) and she is a total sweetie...but said for breastfeeding that I should eat as much green veggies and fruits as I want and that my body needs carbs-higly discouraed cutting out fruit...
however, she said that there is nothing wrong with low carb and breastfeeding - she didn't believe it passed through the breastmilk enough to even worry about it.
so YAY!

I'm a bit confused cause I am doing Atkins off of memory, (the books didn't come in at the library yet for me to check out! grr) but basically for induction I am eating as much meat, cheese, eggs, butter and greens (lettuce today) as I want. Am I doing that correct enough?

I am pretty sure today I was probably around 30g carbs because I could NOT QUIT EATING lettuce/turkey/cheese roll ups and each of those has atleast 2 carbs and I ate about 10..yes..
and I had 3 pkts of Stevia, and mushrooms etc...
I know 20g is the goal, but I really feel that if I am eating green vegetables --its ok to go over?

I was peeing negative all day until about 7 and I came up small, and then around 11 when I peed it came back negative --- this was after I ate the lettuce/cheese/turkey roll ups.

I am thinking I should still lose weight eating this way, but I would just hate it if I gained weight this time cause I did it wrong!

I weighed at the doctors office and I am 314...How do you even get that big, you know? Just 2 years ago I was 270 and holding for the last 5 years...Definitely not giving up..
Advice? Ideas?

I definitely felt less hungry today than yesterday!
Oh and I made an awesome drink:

2 packs of Chai tea - pour boiling water and steep normal time
add 1 pkt sweetner
and 1 tblsp cream

Mmmm...this would be totally heavenly iced but was great hot as well!

Mango30
07-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Kamiro, may I suggest you visit the atkins site and register? Its free and there is all the induction information there on the site including food lists. I don't own a copy of the book, I use the website and I also registered at another forum called "Low Carb Friends" that I only lurk on but has been infinitely helpful (thanks Ghost for telling me about that site, she also told me about r/keto on Reddit, which is freaking awesome). I'm totally throwing all Ghosts secrets out there that she PM'd me but I'm sure she doesn't mind ;)

I've been doing pretty good the last day and a half. Baby Girl has been sleeping a lot, she had that bad day the other day and then yesterday she pretty much chilled out and has been eating and sleeping. Wore herself out being so discontent. So yesterday I had time to reboot my fridge so its ready for the weekend. Then this morning we got up early and went to the neighbors house and I walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes. It felt good but my legs were weirdly shaky when I got off. I'm so out of shape!

I'm about to make lunch and we are having bacon and shrimp fritata (sooooo not kosher, lol!). And I'm so excited, my boyfriends boat will be back from fishing either late tonight or super early tomorrow morning. He has been gone fishing for almost three weeks now, half of his daughters freakin life! It will be so nice to get him home and have some family time. So, if I'm not online for the next few days you know why...and if I'm online an excessive amount with free time with both my hands, you also know why, lol!

Hope everyone has an awesome day!

Simona
07-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Here's a link to the 2002 [and pre 2002] Atkins info:

http://www.controlcarb.com/ccn-lifestyle.htm

The 2002 and before versions do limit cheese to 4oz a day. If carbs are all coming from green veggies, you likely wont go over the 20g per day.

Eggs, cheese & processed meats all have carbs in them and they can add up quickly.

Mango30
07-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Ooooh, thanks Simona! I'm always looking for new links to low carb info. Today I've been reading up on the differences between Atkins 72' and the DANDR. Wow, after Dr. Atkins died the corporate people really screwed things up. Especially with all the Atkins products out there that are stalling people.

I just borrowed my neighbors iPod because she has Gary Taubes copy of Why We Get Fat on it and I've been listening it for over two hours now. The narrators voice has soothed baby girl into yet another nap and I'm so enmeshed in his message. I'd say "sing it sistah!" but he's not a "sistah."

LMAO! I'm so tired...I'm silly! My man's boat needs to get here NOW!

ghost
07-13-2012, 01:13 AM
Mango!!! You're givin away me lucky charms! Lol, j/k, the more the merrier anywhere we go. In fact, I have a line on a brand new LC forum for people following a keto diet. http://www.theketoforums.com/index.php

I've got the same user name over there, if your doing Atkins induction, come on over! I love 3FC but it's so diverse with all the different diets, it's nice to find something in my niche. I Will of course continue to post here too.

Kamiro
07-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks Mango for all the great ideas! Thank you, Ghost also ;)
I am checking out the sites now. Just got my baby girl down and filled the sink full of water to do the rest of the dishes but decided to take a break...drink some water and relax for a minute.
I definitely had a lot more energy today than I have had the last few days. steam cleaned and vacuumed and cleaned. Just felt better :)

Unfortunately (or maybe its ok) I broke into this bag of sugar free coconut chocolates I bought just in case I got weak...well, I got weak when the kids all got hot chocolate and kettle corn so I ate five pieces of sugar free candy. I deducted the sugar alcohols from the carb and every 3 pieces is only 2g of carb, but I know the goal is to retrain your taste buds...Its happening...but slowly.

I am "moderate" on my ketostix, but not sure how long I will be after that candy binge.
I guess I haven't started 'true' Atkins yet, (too ignorant of so many things still) but I knew 5 days ago I needed a change so all this to say - I guess I am in the Pre-Atkins stage....

I will weigh next wednesday and see how successful I have been..That will probably help me with my next step because today I felt really great!

Mango, I think thats great you were able to walk that long. I am way out of shape also. I ordered a bellydance dvd off of netflix to work out to the next couple days. :) I also have Leslie Sansone's 3 mile walk vcr tape but man - I love it. So helpful for when you are out of shape and trying to get back in, or need a gentle yet effective exercise.

Somona - thank you for that link! I will read through it! I knew I had to be remembering something wrong. 4oz of cheese is TOUGH. I love cheese..but I don't love being 314 pounds so...there you go. LOL
Thank you :)
How are you doing?

Kamiro
07-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Oh forgot to add, I read the label and even though "sugars" is listed as 0 in this processed turkey I was using in the roll ups - it is listed in the ingredients...(I live rural and haven't got to town to go get regular turkey)

I saw that this turkey only had 1g carb per slice and was sf so thought what they hey-fits Atkins style enough? Wrongo! Obviously not good for me!)
So, that could have been the reason my ketostix was all over the place yesterday after I ate the turkey cheese lettuce roll ups.

ghost
07-15-2012, 11:51 PM
How's everybody doing? I had an okay weekend but this morning I woke up with a headache, fever and sore throat, soooo....meh, I feel poopy. I was pho...I'm sure the noodles are carby **** though so I'll stick to my chicken broth. Hope everybody is having a better day then I.

Kamiro
07-16-2012, 01:57 AM
Sorry Ghost to hear about that. I had the worst head ache yesterday, and as for sore throat -- I had a heckuva one about 3 weeks ago. Couldn't hardly swallow and stuck around 4 days.
I gargled with tons of salt water, took garlic supplements, and ate cloves of garlic with honey...not sure about a lc sub for the honey....Feel better though!

I was small on my ketostick a few hours ago after being negative all day. Its kind of weird how it goes from neg to small at the most random times. I've burnt thru the entire bottle and I still haven't been able to notice a pattern for carb counts or anything like that.

As for those cream cheese muffins...I don't think I should make any more. No self control. They are SO GOOD.
I make mine with 1 cup of cream cheese, and some stevia (liquid 3 droppers and powder or just 1/2 c powder) and 2 eggs. They set up nice and firm and are just delicious.
I can't just eat 1, or 2.

Can't wait til Wednesday when I see if I have lost any weight. I still feel better either way. :)

ghost
07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Ketostix never work for me in the morning, I think because my body is using all the ketones for fuel. At nighttime though they are usually the darkest, but only if I havn't been chugging to much water.

Not feeling better today, I think I have tr. I'm going to take my son to the dentist and then go to work and swab my throat. I'm so hungry, chicken broth is not cutting it for me but my throat is killing me. I think I'm going to get some soup with substance and just deal with the carbs.

islandchick1
07-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi ladies.
Sorry you two (ghost and Kamiro) aren't feeling too good. How either of you made the cauliflower soup? It's soooo delcious and tastes just like potato soup (mmmmmmmmmm COMFORT food :) ) Kamiro, about those keto stix. I think in a way do work insomuch as it "reaffirms" you are in ketosis. But I think most of us know when we are burning ketones because of the keto breath. Sometimes I swear I think if I put a match in front of my mouth and opened it, I would blow out fire :hot: :)

Kamiro
07-16-2012, 09:17 PM
mmm that sounds good and I have a head of cauliflower to use!

TiffNeedsChange
07-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Kamiro and ghost what is it with the sore throat and headache?? I have had a super sore throat and a major headache for a few hours. I forgot to take my vitamins yesterday, maybe that is the culprit? I slipped up yesterday and ate a small handful of fresh blueberries, showed a 2 pound gain on the scale today LOL! I am going to go back to the basics, it seems to work better for me when I don't get all extravagant for most of my meals. Work was exhausting today, I don't even wanna look at another phone for at least 12 hours, luckily I have the night off except for trying to keep up with my maniac son ;) I feel a little "funny" in my head too, maybe ketosis kicking my butt. I think I am going to get a massage next week, I am going to need it!

TiffNeedsChange
07-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Hope everyone has a great day!

Simona
07-17-2012, 11:42 AM
So...after my chicken freak out yesterday Im feeling more calm and realized that I went through this before and managed just fine. I now just gotta amend my shopping list. I LOVE slow cooked pork and slow cooked beef so I can manage with those two right now. I can still eat eggs [yum!], cheese, and a myriad of other Atkins friendly foods.

Kamiro
07-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Tomorrow is weigh in day for me. Been on Atkins (but cheated/binged with sugar free candy and have NO PORTION/SELF control with those cream cheese muffins) for 8 days now. Tomorrow is day 9 and I will weigh when I take munchkin 3 back to the dr office (I dont keep scale in house for reason. I tend to be obsessive as is evidence of 50 ketostix being gone already) and I hope I am 308 or less - in other words - atleast dropped 6 pounds.
My jeans were definitely not *as* tight as they were 10 days ago, but still could be a little looser.

Tonight for dinner I am making cauliflower soup and some cheese crisps to go with it.

Mango30
07-18-2012, 03:26 AM
Good luck with weigh in. I won't be weighing in for a while. Not after the last few days. Having the man back in town has been...derailing! Late night pizza the night he got in, then mexican because he is an amazing cook and made home made authentic beans and rice and then whipped up enchiladas...oh lord...
totally derailed. But, having him home to take care of baby girl gave me time to go for walks with my Son, attend his baseball camp and tae kwando classes and spend quality time with him while Dad bonded with his girl. And of course, I've been there for her since birth struggling to get her to not cry non-stop and to sleep for maybe a few consecutive hours...and Dad is in a room and she's content, Dad holds her and she sleeps for 8 hours straight while he snoozes and watches tv. I'm so frustrated and I know she's an infant but I feel like she hates me. BOO! I want some wine.

I just got back from grocery shopping tonight after dinner (had to eat before I shopped so I didn't buy crap I didn't need). Loaded up on steaks and pork loin and whole chickens and cheese and veg, got home, unloaded the groceries and my boyfriend was like "Wow...did you learn how to cook while I was gone?" YES! I learned how to use the crock pot...lol :P And fry things until they are edible. And chop salads. Hahaha!

Just out of curiosity I stopped by the infant formulas to see how much they cost. Holy crappppola, I'll be breast feeding forever. I'll never buy that crap. The ingredients sound like frankenfood and the price is obscene. Who feeds their babies that stuff? Well...I guess people probably have their very valid reason, I'm just so glad I"m not one of them.

Anyhooooo...I'm whipped and I'm going to go to bed and ignore any crying things that call out in the night, SOMEONE else is here to get her!!!

ghost
07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Today is declutter the house day. Obviously a reason to procrastine is coming here to post ;) but, I've got Taubs' WWGF on audio to play in the background while I get er done. My vacation is almost over. I'm so sad. Three weeks really flew by. Only 4more days :(

Hope everybody has an awesome day today! FYI, I'm moderating a new LC forum, if you want the site address PM me. I'm excited for it to take off.

Kamiro
07-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Not good news...gained 2 pounds :( I felt so defeated and depressed ..you guessed it. I ended up eating a piece of bread..and then half an orange slice..and then a piece of candy..and then 3 pieces of pizza..and then fruit.

I am most certain it is the sugar free candy and cream cheese muffin binges. :(

Ok so because I want this to be a way of life, and not a diet -
I am thinking of adding oatmeal as an option for food (2 cups 2-3x a week - I love oatmeal. Will make sugar free), and a couple servings of fruit 2x a day. Unlimited greens, meat and oil.
Would this still be considered low carb if not Atkins?
I feel way better kicking the Pepsi habit and sugar habit, and I feel like crap (groggy and so on) after eating the pizza. Definitely bloated feeling. :(
But I feel like I am on a diet not being able to have oatmeal and fruit. And I definitely think (though I am not a nutritionist) that fruit is better than sugar free candy - right?

Any one have advice?

ghost
07-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Honestly, I think you misunderstand the science of low carb if you think you can eat all those carbs without completing a good induction and then slowely climbing the ladder. Maybe what you really need is a calorie controlled diet if you can't live without carbs. I'm not trying to be rude or put you off low carb but, not all diets work for all bodies and you have to find what works for your body and your satiety needs.

You also might have sabotaged all your efforts with too many calories, a poor fat/protein/calorie ratio or any other hundreds of reasons.

Did you weigh on the same scale as the one you weighed on last week? How's the ol poop situation? How much water have you been drinking? Do you log your food or just guess at macronutrients? *I'm a guesser* I could probably lose more if I logged and watched my macros more carefully.

Whatever you decide, we are here for you to support your decisions. Just don't give up! Experiment and find what works because there will be something out there that will click with your body and the way you can maintain eating as a lifestyle.

Violet73
07-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Hey guys! Can I join in? I love seeing this thread here! Before, it was a pretty slow place except for the challenges. A chat thread is a great idea :)

I started back on induction last Friday. I had some major Atkins flu Sunday through Tuesday. Tuesday was the worst! My body just had to detox from all that junk I was eating. I'm feeling pretty good today! I'm already feeling less bloated and my clothes are a little looser because of it! I'm going to wait to weigh so I don't get discouraged.

I think after the two weeks induction I'm going to try some of the low carb recipes I've never tried before like the cauliflower pizza and soup. I have no cravings for sweets right now and that is the first time in years!

It's good to be back to Atkins :)

Violet73
07-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Not good news...gained 2 pounds :( I felt so defeated and depressed ..you guessed it. I ended up eating a piece of bread..and then half an orange slice..and then a piece of candy..and then 3 pieces of pizza..and then fruit.

I am most certain it is the sugar free candy and cream cheese muffin binges. :(

Ok so because I want this to be a way of life, and not a diet -
I am thinking of adding oatmeal as an option for food (2 cups 2-3x a week - I love oatmeal. Will make sugar free), and a couple servings of fruit 2x a day. Unlimited greens, meat and oil.
Would this still be considered low carb if not Atkins?
I feel way better kicking the Pepsi habit and sugar habit, and I feel like crap (groggy and so on) after eating the pizza. Definitely bloated feeling. :(
But I feel like I am on a diet not being able to have oatmeal and fruit. And I definitely think (though I am not a nutritionist) that fruit is better than sugar free candy - right?

Any one have advice?

Artificial sweeteners can cause sweet cravings in some people. Have you completed a full two week clean induction? You probably should start over at this point and clean your system of the carb junk :)

After the two weeks you can add in fruit like strawberries or something on the lower carb side. Oatmeal is carby and if you follow Atkins you need to stay away from it, at least in the beginning. Carbs cause insulin to rise in your body. Insulin helps your body store fat. Ever watched Fat Head? It's on Hulu. It explains it pretty well.

Being addicted to carbs makes this WOE hard at first, but you will never be healthy if you don't break the addiction. The Atkins diet is a great appetite suppressant. You just have to reach that point and move forward. It won't be fun at first, but most things worthwhile aren't fun. This is what I'm telling myself :)

Kamiro
07-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Thank you Ghost and Violet...I am going to gather more info and take a hard look at myself and what I want. thank you for support! Book came in at library so getting that today. easier to read book while nursing than be on pc. Will check back in :)

jamie26301
07-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi! My name's Jamie and I have thirty pounds to lose. Someone invited me to hang out here, when where I usually post is the Featherweights forum.

I haven't read through the thread, but I just want to say hi, and I'm opening a thread about the Induction phase. Thanks!

octonaut
07-20-2012, 02:00 AM
Hi, I am in my first week. I plan to do Atkins til I lose about 30-40 pounds and then see if I want to transition to either South Beach or possibly body for life. I have read the book in the past, but right now I am following the website's instructions. I am not doing a strict induction because I am including nuts in my first 2 weeks. They have never been a binge food for me, and having a handful of pistachios at night gives me something to look forward to. I am also using the bars occasionally. If I find they are screwing me up, I can always stop eating them.

I started at 285, then lost about 20 # last year in a few months due to a very stressful life situation and maintained that loss. Now I am ready to start losing again, this time on purpose and without my life falling apart. I am shooting for 160.

I have to say I love the massive first week weight loss that comes with Atkins. I have lost 7 pounds since Monday. I didn't think I would have as much water loss this go around because I take a water pill for blood pressure, but apparently I m a water retaining machine. :p

I don't want to discourage you Kamiro, but if you are breastfeeding I would consider a different approach if you don't want to commit to eating a lot of diverse types of low carb fruits and veggies. I am huge lactivist and card carrying LLL member and I think it is awesome that you are bfing, but if you aren't eating a balanced diet, your body and or milk will suffer. They way it works is that your milk gets first run at any nutrients that come into your body. So say, if you aren't getting enough calcium, any calcium you do eat will first go to your milk and then you. if you eat no calcium, your body will start raiding your calcium storages (if you have any) and using that for your milk production. If there is none in storage then both you and baby will be deficient. This is just an example and the same goes for any vit and nutrient that goes into bm.

If you want to keep with Atkins I recommend either meeting with a nutritionist to ensure you are getting everything you and your baby needs, or starting in the phase where you can eat nuts, berries, and yogurt. (And making sure you eat a varied and high nutrient diet.) I totally think you can do Atkins while bfing, but I think you will have to work hard to ensure you are meeting your baby's nutritional needs. Just my 2 cents. :)

TiffNeedsChange
07-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Welcome Violet and Octonaut! Glad to have more members! I agree with you Octonaut about Kamiro's situation and have mentioned some of what you said to her previously.
I had a major slip up this week and ate some pizza at lunch when I was feeling poopy at work. Got right back on induction, though. Still sick but trying to deal with not wanting meat/fat at all since my tummy is a bit upset.

ghost
07-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Ohhhh....I had a cheat too this weekend, twice, and now I'm going back to strict induction levels. Friday night it was my grandmas house...full thanksgiving style turkey dinner (I know...it's July gramma!). Then last night at a BBQ image the freakin bomb potato salad at the request of my friend, and...it was.so.dang.good.

I'm way out of keto for sure today, won't even bother to check! Lol! But, I've got steaks thawing out for dinner, and enough for leftovers tomorrow. And a head of cabbage I'm going to fry up and sprinkle with gluten free tamari and sesame oil. Back on the wagon!

TiffNeedsChange
07-22-2012, 11:36 PM
That sounds yummy ghost (all of it-lol)... I am finally getting over this cold and have been on plan since my slip up. I want to start weight lifting soon, but I am soooo intimidated by it all!! Today I bought myself some Caramel cafe latte Atkins shakes for mornings that I have a major coffee craving, I miss frappes. The weather was crazy here Friday and I basically drove through a monsoon ;) I am hoping to do some swimming with my son tomorrow though. I hope everyone is well, talk to y'all later.

Violet73
07-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Tiff, I've never heard of those shakes! They sound really good! I'm holding off on shakes and bars for now,but I'm keeping those shakes in mind for later ;)

ghost
07-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Back to work today after three weeks off and I'm so dang tired and have so much to get done. Grrrrr. I needed the break from work but...now I'm regretting it because so much as backed up. And, I had a heck of a time getting to sleep last night because my schedule is all buggered up from three weeks of staying up late and then sleeping till noon, lol! 5am came waaaay too soon for me this morning and no amount of coffee is helping. I may have to break out the big guns and drink a sf rockstar or sf redbull.

Atkins shakes...GAG! Lol!

Mango30
07-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Okay, back from a long break with the boyfriend XD Oh, and my neighbor got her wireless fixed so I can steal it again...ahem.

Seems like the last two days was gogogogogo at our house. Boyfriend had a "land" job interview and we are anxiously awaiting word that he won't be going back to sea...its so nerve wracking! I just want him to stay.

Baby girl must be growing like a weed, she's constantly attached to the bewbs. I weighed in at 262 on Sunday which, *big freakin' smile* made me ecstatic! Of course, it was on a scale that was not my scale so...could be lowballing me. I'll take it though and just remind myself the next time I weigh on my scale and I'm heavier that I tricked myself out. At any rate, it was a motivating moment and has kept me true to plan. Made big fat salads for dinner tonight with grilled fresh salmon. Going to make salmon omlettes with smoked gouda for breakky tomorrow. Or lunch...we don't typically eat the breakfast meal unless we end up getting up too early with the kiddos.

Summer2010
07-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Hello everyone,
Has anyone tried to get pregnant while doing Atkins induction or OWL? If yes, how did you increse your carbs while maintaining your weight during pregnancy or gaining weight closer to the end of your pregnancy?

ghost
07-27-2012, 12:28 PM
I've never tried to get pregnant on Atkins, but I'm guessing you would probably want to move beyond induction if you were pregnant and start adding in good carbs. And take vitamins.

I drank so much water yesterday I was peeing all night. About every two hours I got up to go. I don't know why but I was inordinately thirsty yesterday. And lazy. I didn't do anything after work. I didn't even cook dinner, lol, we had leftover storebought chicken and I didn't even do it justice by warming it up, we ate it cold. Maybe I'm coming down with something or maybe the stress of being back to work this week after three weeks off is getting to me.

This weekend I have to clean my whole house. It's going to be...meh. Its not that dirty, but, there is an inspector coming over to evaluate it for grant money to weatherize it for winter and he will probaby look in all those nooks and crannies that I don't want people looking in. Like, the windowsill grooves and the dusty place behind the furnace that I can't reach with a mop or broom. So, if I'm online a lot, you know why...I'll be procrastinating. Lol! Hope you all have a nice weekend.

Emmy72389
07-27-2012, 12:41 PM
I would like to join, I've been doing Atkins for a bit now....it gets easier to stick to the longer you go...but i did cheat and have a pb&j sandwich the other day =X lol. Congrats to everybody for their weight losses!!!

ghost
07-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the July chat Emmy! Always nice to get new faces and perspectives in here. I know some people are struggling but I'm finding Atkins the easiest diet I've ever done, after induction flu its been pretty easy to say no to carbs. But...oh wow, a PB&J sounds delicious! Lol! Good thing I've gone 100% gluten/grain free or I'd be very tempted ;)

jamie26301
07-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Mmmmmm, PB&J....

TiffNeedsChange
07-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Good luck eith the cleaning and inspection ghost! Pb&j, ay yi yi... one of my old binge foods.

ghost
07-28-2012, 02:07 AM
Hahaha Tiff...totally procrastinating right now!! And I've got a house full of boy like kids eating pizza and uncleaning all my cleaning.

Summer2010
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I struggled to stay on plan so much today....wow, this has probably been the hardest day since starting induction on Jul 3rd.
We had guest and all the yummy treats that were on the coffee table were calling my name.....I was washing red grapes to put on the table and gave in and ate about 8-10 grapes.....they tasted so good. I just miss fruit....a lot.
I run out of lettuce, no atkins shakes or bars as a back up and I almost went on a whole full on binge. I ran out of the house (after the guests left) and went to CVS-bought peanut butter chocolate atkins bars and chocolate shakes and ate one bar on the way back home and drank 1/2 shake. I am at about 40 net carbs for the day total.....but wow I never expected the cravings to hit me this hard this far in....I was actually feeling sorry for myself for not being able to enjoy all the summer fruit and other snacks like pretzels :(

And now deep breath in....tomorrow is a new day....I hope I will not be up in weight tomorrow because that will be just so disappointing....

Rant over....thank you for listening.

jamie26301
07-28-2012, 10:38 PM
I struggled to stay on plan so much today....wow, this has probably been the hardest day since starting induction on Jul 3rd.
We had guest and all the yummy treats that were on the coffee table were calling my name.....I was washing red grapes to put on the table and gave in and ate about 8-10 grapes.....they tasted so good. I just miss fruit....a lot.
I run out of lettuce, no atkins shakes or bars as a back up and I almost went on a whole full on binge. I ran out of the house (after the guests left) and went to CVS-bought peanut butter chocolate atkins bars and chocolate shakes and ate one bar on the way back home and drank 1/2 shake. I am at about 40 net carbs for the day total.....but wow I never expected the cravings to hit me this hard this far in....I was actually feeling sorry for myself for not being able to enjoy all the summer fruit and other snacks like pretzels :(

And now deep breath in....tomorrow is a new day....I hope I will not be up in weight tomorrow because that will be just so disappointing....

Rant over....thank you for listening.

Awwww. :hug: There, their, they're. (LOL, English humor)

I fell off the wagon too. Today I had sips of sausage gravy, PB&J, sugar-free candy, and a sugar-filled iced coffee. Ouch!

But you're right, tomorrow's another day. :)

sandyfanny
07-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Kamiro, if you can find a copy of THE WHEAT BELLY DIET, you may really like it. It's very carb restricted, has positive things to say about Atkins, but allows small amounts of berries and nuts from the beginning, no oatmeal though. There're also really good explanations of the "why" of the eating plan. I haven't had any success constructing my own eating plan; it always ends up where I abandon all good sense and just eat whatever I want. I have been most successful both losing and maintaining weight loss and healthy eating when I'm eating Atkins. I wish you lots of success whatever path you choose to health. (I hope you stick with us on the board, though)

Summer2010
07-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I managed to log in 45 minutes at the gym today....the first time in ahhh probably a year!!!

jamie26301
07-29-2012, 03:58 PM
I don't think I'm going to follow Atkins verbatim. I've been back and forth because I hear so many success stories. But I don't think I could keep up a veggie lifestyle. (Sorry Kim!)

Today, so far, I had roughly less than 27 carbs. I had less than 11 grams carbs from lite syrup I put in my coffee this morning (didn't finish it) with less than 2 grams sweetener (because I didn't finish it.) Then I had about 14 carbs in a salad, the salad being 10 carbs and the dressing being 4 carbs, but it was less than 14 carbs because I didn't finish the salad. So, so far today I had less than 27 carbs.

I've been looking at Linda's recipes (lots sound good to me!) and later today I'm going to pick up some things to try the recipes. And I plan to have no more carbs for the rest of the day - later I'll just have some hamburger or something.

So, how'd I do for today so far? :D

Good job on the exercise Summer2010! Just don't overdo it. :)

Summer2010
07-30-2012, 12:29 PM
So after my gym outing yesterday :) we had people over again and I gave in and had some red grapes and 10-15 cherries. I did this consciously and planned I would most likely have a gain this morning and yes, I registered +1.
So I am now at a point where I have to figure out how to continue on this weigh loss journey--I have been doing Induction since Jul 3rd.
First week 7 lbs
Second week no loss
Third week 2 lbs
Fourth week 1.5
With the gain this morning, I am at a total weight loss of about 9 lbs-which is fantastic.
I feel I should move to OWL by increasing my carbs by 5 a week (or longer) as long as I continue to lose weight. I feel that since I've lost up to 2 lbs in the last two weeks, I am not likely to see that big loss of 7 lbs from the first week again regadless of how long I stay in induction. OWL would be easier for me to follow as I would incorporate more veggies and make it more livable.
What do you think?

spanky
07-30-2012, 02:26 PM
So I decided to see what Atkins could do for me if I really gave it my all-out best. That said, I grocery shopped and grilled and chopped so I wouldn't have a reason to fail once I got to work and was surrounded by the massive stash of Carb snacks they keep in the kitchen here for all of us.

Yesterday was on track all day and I lifted weights and did 30 min on the exercise bike while watching a movie. Today I'm at work and holding steady. There's plenty to grab to eat when I get home as well.

I'm here for the company and the accountability. I've developed this 'healthy, intense curiosity' about just how much this could help my stalled weight loss and as to whether I can hang with the challenge of a strict 14 days' induction.

Let's find out!

spanky