Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/Ticker/190

Height: 5'10"

Default Clever Tips to Make Food Packets Taste Better?

Does anyone have anything they do to improve their packets/make them edible?

I just tried to make the crispy cereal... first I had to drain the "milk" and then it was still disgusting so I added 1/2 a splenda.. still disgusting.

I also can't stomach the soups. Anyone have tips? I'm just starting out =)
LindseyTradeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Somewhere there is a whole thread called fun with ip packets. Also look at the recipe thread.

The crispy cereal is good if you add really cold water.

I like the chicken soup with 1 cup mashed cauliflower and 1 tbsp curry powder mixed in.

You won't be living on the packets forever. Try making the puddings into shakes and just drinking them down. They are ok and filling.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #3  
Carb Addict

S/C/G: 290/290/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyTradeChic View Post

I just tried to make the crispy cereal... first I had to drain the "milk" and then it was still disgusting so I added 1/2 a splenda.. still disgusting.

I have stuck with the chocolate shake the whole time pretty much for this reason. I could stand the chicken noodle soup that was not too bad.
Tigerlvr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #4  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:

Hi Lindsey! Welcome! Yes, check the thread "Fun with IP packets."

For soups: I always saute some fresh garlic, red and green peppers and sometimes mushrooms in olive oil with salt and pepper. Then I add it to the soup. I've done leek soup, broc/cheese, chicken soup this way and I really like them with these additions. My first day I had the tomato soup and did not like it . I also had a drink for breakfast (wildberry yogurt) and didn't like that either. I had the same lament as you - What did I get myself into??? But as the week progressed I found a few things I liked. Gradually I tried more and found more things. I haven't tried the cereal, eggs, or pancakes yet. I like a fruit drink in the morning.

Oh - and ALL of the drinks taste better really really cold. I blend them with cold water and then put ice in the glass.

But what I really want to say is stick with it. Your taste buds will adjust and the food will indeed get tastier. Also read the recipe threads on this forum and on the newbie sticky forum.

Good luck!
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #5  

My staple that I couldn't live without-- I turn the puddings into shakes (add 8 oz. cold water). I add the WF caramel sauce to the dark pudding shake-- yum! Another huge find for me -- the vanilla pudding and the wildberry yogurt-- add 11 oz. cold water--shake. I double up when I know I can't eat for a while, and this is so delicious an very filling.
explore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

I use the crispy cereal to make pancakes and rhubarb crisp. I take the soups and add mushrooms, celery, spinach ect. simmer....then they are much better. The "Meal In A Crockpot" is down right delicious, even my daughter loves it. The recipe is in the recipe section. I have the omelet, plain or herb every morning and sometimes for lunch, too. I make cookies with the pudding packets, recipe is here, too. There are lots of good tips here and several threads devoted to improving or doctoring up the packets.

Good luck!

Last edited by cyndie; 07-05-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: correct spelling
cyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #7  
Started IP: June 2012

S/C/G: 172/158/143

Height: 5'5"

I think the crispy cereal is an acquired taste, but since I can't have the oatmeal every morning, I make the crispy cereal with really really cold water and a lot of cinnamon. Its definitely better w/ cinnamon. And I agree w/ everyone on turning the puddings to shakes, I do that a lot. I add cinnamon to the vanilla and cinnamon and chili powder (a little) to the dark chocolate. Just gives it more flavor. Hope that helps.
DenverGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 258.4/163.6/168.4

Height: 5' 3"

I love the chocolate shake hot -
I also love making a mud cake out of the chocolate shake mix (search mud cake for the recipe)
I make the crispy cereal into pancakes and the blueberry, strawberry, and lemon pudding into small pancakes - just add 1/4 c of liquid egg and water until it's a good batter consistency then make small pancakes - I can't stand any of the soups - so I avoid them - I'm on my 19th week and have pretty much settled into my food routine of maybe 8 or 9 choices. Good luck!
drakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #9  
Started IP 6/9/12

S/C/G: 165/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I completely agree with making the puddings into shakes. I mix the vanilla pudding packet with 12 oz of water and a few shakes of cinnamon. It's delicious!
efwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #10  
Adult Member

S/C/G: 196/184/160

Height: 5'3

I tried to do a search for "fun with IP packets," but was not able to find anything. I am new to this forum, and have not mastered the art of navigation yet ... is there another way to search (I just typed in "fun with IP packets" in the search box).

Thanks!
Aussieluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...n-packets.html
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #12  
Started IP 09/05/12

S/C/G: 203/160/160

Height: 5'7"

You'll see that after a while you don't get as bothered with the taste of the packets. I actually like the crispy cereal now, don't ask me how that happened. Very cold water + cinnamon like someone else said, when I don't have time to make it into pancakes (I still prefer the pancakes). I tried to stick to the chocolate drinks, the raspberry jello and the chicken noodle soup at first, but since I tried the pancakes I grab a box of cereal every week, and make sure I always have WF maple syrup in the fridge. Just makes one meal per day absolutely enjoyable to eat. The recipe thread has a lot of good ideas, like pudding cakes, potato tortillas, I even read that someone made gnocchi with the potato packet!
Kikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #13  
start IP 5/9/12

S/C/G: 235/195/175

Height: 5'8"

I add broccoli,cauliflower and/or zucchini to all the soups along with red pepper flakes and sea salt and love them all except tomatoe. The puddings are not bad if you add cinnamon, nutmeg or even some other spice to them. The crispi cereal crushed and mixed with eggwhites and water and some spice is great as a pancake. Good luck
cupcakecathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 179/140/135

Height: 5'5

My Coach has said she has never met someone who didn't like so many packets, and I don't think I am that picky!! So, using the help of others on this site and searching the internet these are a few of my favorites

OMELET w/ WF SYRUP
Take an Omelet packet and scramble it with peppers and spinach (or fav. vegi's)
When Omelet is done drizzle some WF Pancake Syrup on the top and enjoy.

POTATO PUREE WRAP
Mix 75ml of Cold water with Potato packet
Spread mixutre in hot small pan
When one side is cooked I flip and add 1 TBS of WF Strawberry Jelly to the cooked side. It melts while the other side cooks.
I put in the wrap sauteed peppers and spinach. It's like having bread, lol.

CRISPY CEREAL PANCAKES
In a small bowl mix
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla
- 1/4 tsp of baking powder
- cinnamon to taste
-1 to 2 ounces of water
Crunch up a packet of crispy cereal, add to egg white mixture and mix well. Add water a teaspoon at a time until the batter has the consistency you like.
Cook just as you would a regular pancake. (or 3 small cakes) Add WF Pancake Syrup

Olive Oil & Lemon Juice Dressing: (for salads)
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
5 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Put all ingredients in a Mason or jam jar and shake. Dress your salad with 1 – 1 1/2 tbsp. This will keep its taste in the fridge for a couple of days.

Last edited by Barb4640; 07-06-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Barb4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #15  

I am entering my 3rd week, and doing okay.......I absolutely despise the taste of Splenda/Sucralose, so that as been a little difficult. I think since I have not had sugar in so long my taste buds are getting accustomed to it

My tip ....add Cinnamon to everything that you can that makes sense. I have never gone through cinnamon so fast, but Coach said that was ok, so that is what I do. I have friends who love the pudding, but I can't eat it unless loaded with cinnamon!
moving to 1derland is offline   Reply With Quote