Other Reduced Carb Diets - Dukan Diet Support Part 3

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Dukan Diet Support Part 3

amak30
07-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi Everyone,
Hopefully this works and this thread posts in the right spot

I started this diet at the end of January and spent quite a bit of time on the forum and got loads of support so hopefully it will pick up again for new people to keep going.

I've reached my target weight and will finish my consolidation by mid August.

This has been the most successful and easiest diet I've ever tried and I've tried a few so anyone thinking about it, I urge you to give it a go.

Hope to hear from other Dukaners

Anna

katylil
07-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Just started looking at the dukan diet properly. I'd heard about it several times (mainly associated with Kate Middleton's name...) and I remember one of my friends doing it over the summer holidays last year. She lost a significant amount of weight and, though she put some of it back on again, even she admits its because she moved and now lives above 3 different takeout restaurants!!!

So I started looking at it again and think I'm gonna give it a go. I looked up my True Weight on the website and though its slightly higher than my Goal Weight, I'm gonna aim for TW and see how I feel when I get there.

Attack Phase begins tomorrow! (its already 7pm now) I have salmon, chicken, turkey, beef, lean ham and eggs in my fridge and I'll pick up some oat bran in the morning. Quite excited!

I've tried SO many different plans, and on every one I lose about 8lbs and then get bored and put them back on again. Really going to try and make this work so I can FINALLY stop with the yo-yoing! :)

Filcha
07-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi Anna and welcome kayylil,

Anna, pleased to hear that you are still going well. I am really enjoying consolidation and have dropped a little more weight. I am now around 60.5k and so far findingit fairly easy to stay there. I am compressing my consolidation slightly as I leave for an 8 week holiday towards the end of August and I don;t want to be too restricted while away, although we will try and be sensible. So I am slowly putting myself onto part 2 consolidation and monitoring my weight. I also have a two day work trip in about 10 days. That will be tough on the food side. I'll take my oat bran muffins and some of my yoghurt but for the rest will probably be somewhat restricted. So there maybe some damage control required after that!

Katy, Anna and I have found this diet very successful and fairly easy to stick with, although it does take a bit of preparation. But it sounds like you are up to that, as you have lots of good food ready for your attack. We did spend ALOT of time in the kitches, especially early on.

Anyway, good luck with your attack and I hope the diet goes well for you.

Isles
07-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi, I am going to be starting Dukan Friday. I am pretty excited.

I have a long way to go but I won't get there if I don't start!!!!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and sharing my HUGE weight loss.

(Thinking positive);)

Filcha
07-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Welcome Isles!

Yes, you are doing the right thing and starting! It does seem daunting at first but hopefully the weight loss will keep you motivated. We are here to help if we can. Good luck to you.

Isles
07-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Thank you Filcha. I have to do more searching for recipe's, but I guess I don't need that many on Attach. :lol:

Due to my job I do eat out at least twice a week but I am not going to be using that as an excuse. Once I start down the excuse road, it is all down hill.

I am sad I have to wait 20 days for a ticker!!!!! That is my first goal...to have some weight loss to put on my ticker when I can finally post one!!!! :dust:

Isles
07-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Worked on my grocery list over my lunch hour...

Do any of you use cream in your coffee??? :coffee: I use Creamora but am not sure that will be okay on Dukan. Have to read the label, I guess.

:wave:

amak30
07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi Katy and Isles and welcome to the forum

Katy, how did you go with attack? I hope you got some good results

Isles, welcome and don't think about how long you have to go, you've made a start and take it one week at a time.
Eating out is a bit of a challenge but it's amazing what you can find when you look, for example eating at Asian restaurants is probably the easiest because stir fries and vegetables are probably the easiest, also you can always have steak or grilled fish at other restaurants, just be carefull with the sauces that go on top or salad dressings.
Regarding the cream in your coffee, it's something I never really liked but I find skimmed milk in my coffee or alternatively a "skinny" latte from the coffee shop does the trick for me.

One thing that should become a way of life for you is reading EVERY label because I was staggered by all the hidden ingredients especially salt and sugar that is added to prepared food.

Good luck to both of you and please keep posting regularly
Anna:)

lilywinsit
07-13-2012, 04:33 AM
Hello everyone, it is good to be home again! So glad to see this thread still going and see that there are new people joining us! Welcome, I look forward to getting to know you.

We left in a hurry the first of June to go see our daughter up north, 2 days drive away. She has MS (multiple sclerosis) and has been in a nursing home for 4 years already and is totally dependant, unable to do anything at all. We went because she lost the ability to speak and we needed to see her and reassure her of our unconditional love. It is very emotional because she chose to disappear from our lives for 17 years and we did not know if she was dead or alive. Until 2 years ago this July when she asked the nurses to find us, due to medications or the progress of the MS we do not know what changed her mind and attitudes. We are just so thankful to have our daughter back in our lives and know that God does answer our prayers.

So traveling, living in motels, cooking some meals and eating out quite regular was stressful. Trying to watch all the foods and make " wise choices"
turned into a exercise of keeping a journal of every bite and drink, so I could stay on track. This is the first time in my life that I traveled with a weight scale... lol :dizzy: I weighed myself each morning and did not obsess if it went up a little. Just stuck to the plan as best as possible. Most incredible " it is 4 months and I'm still off Insulin with good blood glucose levels", my doctor is excited also.

It's been 6 weeks and I lost each week we were away, a little .4 of a pound one week and up to 1.8 pounds another, I am so excited and will try to update the ticker later!

amak30
07-13-2012, 04:57 AM
Welcome back Lily, it's wonderful to hear from you again!:hug:
What an incredibly stressful time for you and I'm in awe of you managing to stay on the plan throughout!
It sounds like you have more difficult times ahead but you've proved you can stick with it through challenging times and I'm sure you'll achieve your goal.
Please keep posting when you can I'd love to see updates on your progress.
Anna

locastella
07-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone,
I started on the Ideal Protein plan and although I lost weight I discovered that one of the main ingredients in their food is whey. Since I can't tolerate milk I soon had some not nice GI issues. Took me awhile to figure it out tho!
I am going to switch to The Dukan Diet as soon as I finish off the IP food I have, I am taking lactaid with it so I can stand it ( the things we do!) And waiting for my book to arrive.

I feel a little nervous about switching as IP does work but not only is the whey an issue it is not real food and it is expensive. I like the idea that this is real food and I feel reassured by you all.

Cheers

amak30
07-14-2012, 04:29 AM
Hi locastella and welcome
I'm not familiar with the program you've been doing, is it mainly shakes? For me that would be hard to sustain

Dukan on the other hand has been the easiest and most successful diet I've ever tried and I've tried a few!
It's all normal food, with a few exclusions initially and very few rules. I found I was never hungry or bored.

I reached my goal weight about 6 weeks ago and have been maintaining it since. I'm now having more treats and am confident I can keep the weight off for good.
You mention you have an intolerance to milk and was wondering whether it was only milk or all dairy? This diet includes loads of yoghurt, cottage or low fat ricotta cheese as well as milk so that might make it more challenging for you. I know personally I couldn't have got through without my yoghurt and ricotta.

Do you use soy products? I haven't had much experience with them

Good luck with the diet and if you have any questions just ask

Anna

locastella
07-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Hi Anna
I have an intolerance to milk and whey. Lucky for me cheese and yogurt are fine. Ideal Protein is based on protein powder which is primarily made of whey. As for soy I try to avoid it because of the mixed reviews regarding estrogen. I make enough of that on my own. LOL
Thanks for the words of encouragement and I will certainly take you up on the asking questions !

amak30
07-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi locastella
That's great to hear that you can have yoghurt and cheese because they have been my staples thoughout the diet. I didn't know about soy and estrogen all I know is that I tried tofu a while back and i found it bland and tasteless. I guess I was never meant to be a vegetarian!
Cheers
Anna

Douger963
07-14-2012, 10:14 PM
I feel a little nervous about switching as IP does work but not only is the whey an issue it is not real food and it is expensive. I like the idea that this is real food and I feel reassured by you all.

Cheers

I was on IP for 107lbs. I did start gaining some weight back, but over the last year have been around my goal weight by 15 to 20lbs, then I'd lose it again. I would go back on IP Phase I to get back down in weight. I eventually just couldn't do Phase I again, so I started Dukan. I'm down about 13lbs. and continuing on with Dukan. So both diets I think are good, but right now I'm definitely preferring Dukan, because it seems pretty easy and I can eat real food. I don't have to worry about calories either.

I do have a couple of questions for the Forum. Sometimes I feel like I plateau a little on Dukan. Can your body get used to mainly protein diets and being on ketosis? Can your body build up an immunity to the diet's effect? Because I've been on a protein/ketosis diet a good amount of time over the last 1-1/2 years.

Secondly, the book indicates non-fat dairy is approved food and unlimited. Mainly because the sugars are from lactose. However, they do seem to have a lot of carbohydrates. Would these foods slow down a weight loss? I do eat a fair amount of non-fat greek plain yogurt. (9g carbs) per serving. I also eat a low-fat cottage cheese (Nancy's) every morning w/ Oat Bran, also sometime for a snack. Fat content is no greater than 2%.

Filcha
07-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi Doug,

I don't know about building up an immunity but certainly sometimes we seem to lose weight easier than others. When I was on Cruise, I'd have a week when the weight would just fall off me and then a week when NOTHING would happen - and it didn't always seem to be hormone related. I think you just have to keep on plugging away during the plateaux. I did used to try and up my exercise and that often seemed to help get things going again. Also, as you approach your TW, I think it often gets a little harder to drop those last few pounds.

I have heard some discussion about the dairy and different books. In my book (UK one) dairy is limited to 2 lbs per day (or equivalent liquid). I believe in the US one it is unlimited. I have heard that for some people too much dairy does slow them down so I think that 2lbs is a sensible compromise. Perhaps you could try that? I had quite a bit of yoghurt in Cruise (probably 1lb per day) but not a lot of other dairy most days.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Also, welcome to locastella! I am glad you can eat yoghurt - for me it was definitely a main-stay of the diet.

locastella
07-15-2012, 04:14 PM
It is lovely to see how friendly people on this thread are. I have posted questions on several others with no response whatsoever. I am looking forward to the support offered and being able to help someone else in return.:)

Isles
07-16-2012, 08:29 AM
:welcome2: locstella...I am just starting this too and Dukan People seem to be very nice and helpful!! :goodvibes

So, it's official...today is ATTACK Day 1...I cooked and cooked chicken and turkey this weekend and then froze them in small containers so I can just grab and go.

I am wondering about "crunch". I was thinking I could do celery but I that might get borning...maybe sprinkle with some Dash?????

I don't think I will be exercising today - 107 degrees F here today and I don't have air conditioning. Maybe I will just wiggle my toes alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

More later - gotta work now.

HAPPY MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

locastella
07-16-2012, 01:29 PM
I am starting attack on the 22 or 23. I have doubts about only protein, I am not much of a meat eater but I guess that is about to change! Thank god for eggs and yogurt. I am pretty sure they will save me :)

Good luck Isles, at 107 degrees I think I would eat the chicken still frozen lol

Isles
07-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Good luck Isles, at 107 degrees I think I would eat the chicken still frozen lol

locastella: I laughed at that one. I am at work now - I am cool.:dancer:

I don't (didn't) eat much protein either but am hoping it will "spark" my body into action.:moped:

I do like that I can eat without counting calories...just never been successful at that.

I did realize today I may need to pack snacks too... Didn't really think of it until today when I just had my ALL protein lunch.

Isles
07-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Day 2 and so far so good!! :carrot:

According to Dukan I am to be on Attack for 4 days. I may have to do a Cruise day in there as I have a working lunch meeting this week.

I will make it....I wish I could bottle my excitement that I am having now to use later when I could use encouragement. :)

Off to have :coffee:

Isles
07-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Day 2 is going well....I am really tired but that is probably from the heat.

Hope you are all having a great Tuesday!!!!

locastella
07-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Good to hear that you are forging ahead Isles. I have not ingested a carb, except for vegetables for over three weeks now. I am just waiting until next week after a wedding to get structured. I think I will have quite a time with the PP days, especially attack. Five days of no vegetables! :dizzy:

So I will enjoy every vegetable until July 23. Once I can alternate I think it should not be too hard. I guess I will see.

Keep up the good work!

amak30
07-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Hi everyone,

It's so wonderful to see new people joining and keeping this forum alive. I found it so inspirational and helpful, especially in the early days and it's a great place to exchange ideas and share experiences.

Doug, I'm not sure if you've reached your target weight and now maintaining or still trying to lose. I think throughout the diet you'll have perios of stagnating, we've all been through it. I found that cutting down the tolerated foods and increasing excercise and water helped. I know the diet is promoted as unlimited quantities of the allowed foods but I didn't follow that literaly, you need to still be mindful of quantities. As for dairy, I agree with Filcha's comments.

Welcome Isles and I hope you have much success with the diet. It really is easy to follow and once you're off Attack and can have vegetables it gets easier.

Locastella, the Attack phase wasn't my favourite and I craved vegetables by the 5th day but it's a distant memory now and once I was alternating PV & PP days it was a breeze.

Keep up the good work everyone it really is worth it

Anna

Isles
07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Which Cruise did each of you use? PP/PV - everyother day or so many days off so many days on? Dukan (in the book) said he thinks everyother day works best for most but just an curious what you found worked for you.

Well day three and all is well. I should be on Attack for four days but tomorrow I have a work lunch...What do you think...taco salad?? Just lettuce and meat. They don't put the salsa or anything on it just bring the stuff as a side so I can control that.

Since tomorrow will be a Cruise day I will do an extra Attack day after that...as I am typing this I am realizing how easy this can be. ;)

I am hoping for a quiet weekend at home so I can read somemore of the book. I really love the gallete....I wish we could have "unlimited" of those!!! :dance:

Off to have :coffee: I have been at work for two hours already and need a pick me up.

:dust:

amak30
07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Hi Isles
Good to hear that you're doing well

I did alternating PP/PV days and it worked very well for me so I did the same pattern for all of cruise

I know others had just as much success with different variations and I guess you have to take into account your commitments from time to time and tailor it to suit your needs.
Anna

Isles
07-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Good Morning....today is day 4.... I was hungry this morning. Usually I am not.

Maybe I just didn't eat enough for dinner last night? :?:

I have my Cruise grocery list ready....excited :cb:

Later..:bubbles:

Filcha
07-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I was away for a few days last week but back now. I did put on a little weight while I was away - lost some then sabotaged myself last night with a greasy, salty kebab. This one was particularly bad and I am seriously regretting it. So up again this morning to 60.8k. Still under my TW but it shows I do need a little buffer!

To those asking about Cruise pattern. I varied my pattern to fit in with my social life but it was basically 1/1 but there were also 2/1, 2/2 or 1/2. Occasionally there was a run of 3 PVs if it was required. Anna seemed to lose a bit faster than me by sticking to the 1/1 but I think if varying the pattern will help you stay on the diet then it is definitely worth it!

Isles
07-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi, all....weekend was a hard one...first it was 102 each day so I didn't move around much - mostly did computer work. Went out to eat Sunday - had an omelet but still................:cheese:

How are you doing this - to tell people or not???????????? Number one I don't want to tell I am doing Dukan just because of some people think it is too radical. Of course, they haven't read the book either !!!:dizzy:

Second, and probably my BIGGEST issue is I don't want anyone to know I am dieting - in case I fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oWHEW....got that out!!! Never wanted to admit that.

I am seeing a doctor for my thyroid. It basically had stopped working so we are trying to fix that. Wonder if anyone would believe I can't eat carbs because of my thyroid.... :lol:

Back on track today....egg whites and ham for breakfast and :chicken: for lunch.

Then to the fitness center after work.:tread:

As usual - time for :coffee:

amak30
07-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Filcha, Where did you go?
Don't feel guilty it's ok to have treats now and then and I find that when I do, I'm just a bit careful over the next couple of days and that works well for me. I do very well during the week at work and not so good on the weekend but I'm finding that it evens itself out week by week.
I am two weeks away from stabilazation and I know I'm not putting the weight back on because this is so easy now.

Isles, I know exactly what you mean about deciding whether to tell people or not. I didn't at first but I then found it easier once I told people because by then people were noticing and once I told them what I was doing, they were very interested. Also, once you put it out there and people are noticing, you'll start getting compliments and this will actually help you to stay on track.
Have you had a thyroid problem for a while? I hope you get it under control. does it affect what you can eat on this diet?

Stick with it, it will be worth it
Anna

locastella
07-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Well I was on the Ideal Protein program from June 25 til July 20 and lost 15.2 pounds. While the program was easy to follow I found out it contained too much whey for me to tolerate. The GI side effects became unbearable.
So now today is my first day of attack on the Dukan Diet. I sure hope this works as well I really like the idea better as it is actual food I am eating and not powdered anything ;)

How are you making out Isles? Managing to survive on protein only?

Isles
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Anna: I think I will keep it to myself for now.:o I found out about a year ago about the thyroid issue. I was put on medication that seemed to help for about 6 months but then my symptoms started coming back. I may need to have the dose increased. I have a doctors appointment next month so I will find out then.

locastella: I think you will find this easy...and yes, having real food helps. I am like Filcha, the week goes well but weekends seem to have temptations...maybe because I think I need to relax, and splurge on weekends. Weekends are my achilles heal.

My plan is to start on some projects I have to do so I am busy and not wondering what to eat!!!

Filcha
07-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Hi all!

Anna, I went to Sydney for two days for a work conference. I really enjoyed it and Sydney was a few degrees warmer than Perth has been so I didn't freeze when we went out to find dinner in the evenings. We stayed at the Hilton Sydney - never stayed at such a fancy hotel before! There was a TV in the shower!

Isles, although I didn't go around telling everyone I was dieting, it tends to come out - especially when you get invited to people's places, have friends over, etc. Generally people were supportive. I was also hesitant about telling people about it at first, but think of it this way - I think the more people you tell, the more reason you have to be successful!

locastella
07-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Well I survived the first day. I am not hungry but really think all this protein is going to be hard to accomplish! Its not the next three days that put the fear into me its all those PP days coming up! I am really going to have to plan what I am going to eat.

amak30
07-24-2012, 04:01 AM
Well I survived the first day. I am not hungry but really think all this protein is going to be hard to accomplish! Its not the next three days that put the fear into me its all those PP days coming up! I am really going to have to plan what I am going to eat.

Well done locastella, you're on your way! :carrot:
Dont worry about the PP days coming up, they were not my favourite either that's why I did alternating PP/PV days and it made the PP days much easier to cope with knowing I was only a few hours away from having vegetables. For me that made all the difference and I found this rhythm the easiest to cope with. Seriously, once I got going, the days just flew by.

All the best
Anna

Isles
07-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Seriously, Filcha, a TV in the shower....I am never in the shower long enough to need TV!!:soap:

Anna I agree, doing the PP/PV seems the easiest to deal with.

locastella:congrat:

Off for my "get the day started" :coffee:

:dust::dust::dust:

locastella
07-24-2012, 12:50 PM
I am really glad that I found this blog. Look at all those trail breakers that have successfully gone on ahead!

I will definitively be alternating one day at a time. I think this will also make it easier to have a quasi normal life!

As for telling people, it is hard to decide. I have one friend I have told and she keeps expressing her doubt. Sure that I will gain it all back. I don't think so if only because I am not the same person anymore that gained the weight and anyway isn't it better to try that admit defeat at the outset?

Have a lovely day all. And thanks for the encouragement. :hug:

Isles
07-24-2012, 03:50 PM
locastellaisn't it better to try that admit defeat at the outset?

Exactly.....:hug: back at ya.

Filcha
07-24-2012, 10:53 PM
locastella - you just show her! This is a great diet and the main reason I chose to try it was because it is not just about losing the weight but about a lifetime of keeping it off!

locastella
07-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Well Day 2 done, I think its funny I don't even want a carb, I want a cucumber!!

amak30
07-25-2012, 03:42 AM
Well Day 2 done, I think its funny I don't even want a carb, I want a cucumber!!

The sweetest thing I tasted after 5 days on attack was a tomato and I don't even like tomatoes so I can completely understand about the cucumber!

locastella
07-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Amak30 How long did it take you to reach your TW?

Isles Are you finished attacking?

Filcha
07-25-2012, 11:16 PM
In the early days I found I missed fruit more than carbs or even chocolate...

amak30
07-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Hi locastella
It took me around 20 weeks to get to my target weight and I averaged a loss of around 800 gms (1.5 pounds) per week.

Some weeks I lost more and some weeks I gained but I found that the weight loss was pretty steady.

I only stayed on Cruise for around 8 weeks because I was finding that I wasn't doing too well without fruit and not enough vegetables so I started a "modified" consolidation for the other 10-11 weeks and I still lost weight steadily so it worked very well for me.

By mid August, I'll be able to go on to Stabilization and I'm sure I won't be putting any of the weight back on because now it is seriously easy.

Hope that helps
Anna

locastella
07-26-2012, 02:12 AM
:) Day 3 all wrapped up and done.

In the scheme of things the amount of time required is nothing compared to how long it took to gain this weight. Looking forward to New Years. I am supposed to be at my TW by then. What a great way to start a new year :)

Isles
07-26-2012, 08:08 AM
locastella I have a work lunch Tuesday - had a lettuce salad with chicken. So I have been on PP Wed and today.

I too am missing fruit....funny cause I didn't think I was a fruit lover!!!

I used to have a smoothie for breakfast...spinach, fruit and water...I keep thinking that can't screw up my weight loss :?: but haven't had one yet.

I will see how the weight loss numbers are and then maybe do Anna's version...;)

Isles
07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Scared....I have tomorrow off to go to an eye specialist...NO STRUCTURE!!!!

AND I am taking my niece out to eat....

amak30
07-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Hi isles,
Yes I really missed fruit but stuck it out and it was worth it
Have you tried rhubarb? It's good as a fruit substitute and satisfies that craving
It's hard when you have to deal with out of the ordinary situations especially at the beginning because it really is hard to find thing to eat when your on the go. If you're going to be eating at a restaurant look for grilled fish or chicken or a stir fry. Also eggs are always a good option and I usually go for poached
If you've finished attack just add some vegetables

Don't worry you'll be fine
Anna

locastella
07-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi Isles, you have nothing to fear except fear itself !! Go forth and conquer

When I first did the calculations for this diet I it was prior to the wedding weekend and it said I had 5 days of attack. Well I was up a 4 pounds after that so I recalculated and second time around it said 4 days of attack. So I thought well I will see how it goes. Here I am on day 5 and I am down 4.8 lbs. The calculator predicted 3.8 lbs lost for attack phase. So I think I will start cruise today. I am off to have some veggies :) I didn't stray from PP for 4 days but don't know how much longer I could do that so I am glad that alernating between PP and PV is an option!!

Good luck to everyone today

locastella
07-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on Quinoa? Although it is a seed it is very high in protein and has all the amino acids we need.

locastella
07-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I made my oatbran galette into crab cakes today. They were delish! Added crab meat, dill, salt and pepper. Definitely did not taste like diet food!

amak30
07-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi locastella,
I haven't tried Quinoa but I didn't think it was one of the allowed foods.
Well done on your experimentint with oat bran, the crab cakes sound delicious.

The oat bran is not the most palatable food on the list and it's amazing how creative some people can be. I was missing bread when I started off and I searched the web and found the best bread recipe with oat & wheat bran and this has been my staple ever since. If you like I can dig up the recipe and post it.
I also make some pretty good pancakes with the oat bran and this way I've been eating it without really noticing it.

Keep up with the experimenting

Anna

locastella
07-30-2012, 03:03 AM
Hi Anna,
I would love the bread recipe! I have also added cinnamon and some Stevia to the galette, tastes like french toast. On my next vegetable day I am going to shred some zucchini and add that.

The quinoa was wishful thinking :( But you should try it. I have only had rice or potatoes rarely in the past year since I started eating quinoa. It's yummy and very good for you.

Locastella

amak30
07-30-2012, 04:25 AM
Hi locastella,
I'll definitely give quinoa a try it sounds very interesting.

Here is the bread recipe that I make up, it's not my recipe I found it online but it really works so I've adopted it.

Dukan Bread Loaf

Ingredients

* 8 tbspn oat bran
* 8 tbspn wheat bran
* 4 tbspn wheat germ
* 10 tbspn skim milk powder
* 1 tspn baking powder
* 1 tspn salt
* 2 pkts quick fast yeast (8g per packet)
* 1 tbspn no fat plain yoghurt
* 4 tbspn fromage frais or philidelphia extra light cheese
* 3 eggs
* 4 or 5 tbspn warm water

Method

Use 2 bowls. In the first bowl mix the yeast, water and philidelphia cream cheese and give a good whisk.

Mix all the other ingredients together in a larger bowl.

Add the yeast mixture to the other ingredients and whisk well.

Pour mixture into a loaf tin (I line mine with baking paper) and cook in a reasonably hot oven (175 degrees celcius - fan forced) for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 160 degrees and cook for a further 20-25 minutes.
Keep an eye on it as it does tend to burn depending on your oven. The original temperatures were higher but my overn is very hot so I've scaled them down a bit. You'll know after a couple of tries.

Also, here is my pancake recipe that I absolutely love

Whisk 2 eqq whites and add 1 tablespoon each of powdered skim milk, low fat ricotta cheese and oat bran. I also add some stevia (sweetener) and vanilla essence to taste.
Heat up a non-stick pan and wipe with oil. Don't overheat as they will burn very quickly.
Pour mixture into pan, I usually make 3/4 small ones, they're easier to turn and it feels like you have more. Give them about 3-4 minutes before trying to turn as the mixture takes a while to set but keep checking so that they don't burn.
Flip over and cook on the other side
Serve with youghurt and cinnamon or sugar free maple syrup. Yum

I'm posting a couple of photos just to give you an idea

Good luck and enjoy

Anna

Isles
07-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Just wanted to jump in and say Hi...I haven't been feeling good...not sure it's the diet or something else.

But do feel somewhat better today...more later.

Filcha
07-31-2012, 12:59 AM
Hi all,

I didn't find the oat bran that hard to eat. I have it a few ways - just add some to my morning yoghurt; cook my version of the galette (original was too eggy for me); make oat-bran and goji muffins - I now have three variations of these (vanilla, chocolate & cinnamon); also Anna's yummy pancakes; the moist vanilla cake.

locastella
07-31-2012, 01:36 AM
Hi Isles, I was wondering what became of you. Hope you are better quickly.
Anna that bread looks, well like bread!!! But is it cruise food?
Filcha what is the method for muffins? If I may ask :)

amak30
07-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Isles, I hope you're feeling better. In the early days I also felt unwell, I felt dizzy and lightheaded and didn't have much energy but that passed. Hang in there!

Locastella, I've been having this bread since day 1 of cruise and it's been my savior as I really missed bread. I understand that wheat germ and wheat bran are allowed to keep you regular although I didn't get this recipe from any official Dukan site. I use a fairly small loaf tin and usually get around 16 slices which I freeze. I figure that 2 slices give me approx 1 tablespoon of oat bran
I use it for sandwiches, toasted cheese, scrambled or poached eggs on toast, dried in the oven to make breadcrumbs and cinnamon toast. It's not as nice as regular bread but honestly when you can't have regular bread this one is pretty good
I hope you try it
Anna

Filcha
07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Thought I had posted the muffin recipe in the old thread but I can't find it. It's at home so will try and post tonight.

locastella
08-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Anna I will let you know how I make out with the bread. So far I am not having much if any trouble with not having bread but since I have 201 days of cruise left I can see how that may not always be the case. I will stash the recipe as part of my emergency coping kit! Thanks

Thanks Filcha they sound like they would help with the desire for a treat :)

Leaving tomorrow for a road trip to the US. Talking along galettes, cooked chicken, greek yogurt and boiled eggs. Sounds lovely doesn't it! I think it will be a bit of a challenge to find PP while on the road. Wish me luck :)

Filcha
08-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Sorry, I forgot the recipe last night (and it's very cold up in my computer room this time of year!). I'll try again tonight.

Isles
08-02-2012, 08:21 AM
:)locastella, where are you going in the US???

Anna, I think between the diet and the extreme heat we are having it is just making me a zombie....don't feel like eating let alone cooking so I just keep my water handy. Actually I am terrible at cooking even when it isn't hot.

FOUR work lunches this week....jeez, I swear we never had this many BEFORE I decided to Dukan! :mad:

My weight loss has been painfully slow...but at least is going down. With all the eating out I have had to do I just thankful for that. :)

:dust::dust::dust::dust:

locastella
08-03-2012, 07:45 PM
I am in Montana!!

Filcha
08-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Hi all, sorry, keep forgetting that recipe when I am at home. The Olypics aren't helping me to get into my computer room! Will try again. Isles, don't worry too much about slow loss, as long as it is heading in the right direction!

Filcha
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Here it is at last:

Oat Bran & Goji Muffins:
Ingredients:
300 ml oatbran
2 eggs
1t baking powder
3 T goji berries
1t vanilla essence
5 T fat free yoghurt
Optional: 1 t natvia

Spray patty pans with a little cooking spray. Spoon in mixture.
Bake at 175 for 25 minutes

Variation:
Instead of vanilla essence, add 2 t low fat cocoa powder and 1t natvia

Variation 2:
Instead of vanilla essence, add 1 t cinnamon and 1 t natvia

Notes: t = teaspoon
T = tablespoon
C = cup
Natvia = a stevia-based sweetner

locastella
08-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Well I survived my 4500km road trip and managed to loose 2.2 pounds. Would have liked it to be more but it is a lose and I will take it!

Filcha
08-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Well done! It is very difficult to stay on plan whe you are away so you've done well to get any loss at all!

pattygirl63
08-25-2012, 02:14 AM
One of the beauticians where I get my haircut told me about this diet when I noticed how good she really looked and she said she was doing Dukan and showed me her book. I went right out and bought the book but took me a while to decide to do it as I don't like eating no carbs. However, I do like the benefits so I'm starting the Attack Phase in the morning (Sat). I was excited to find y'all here on 3fc and hope we can keep this thread going and would love to be part of this group. It is my hope that I will be able to at least do 5 days but hope I can do 7 days on this 1st phase before starting the next phase. I'm not sure I can do 10 although I know that would be really good for me.

amak30
08-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi Trisha and welcome
Glad you've decided to give the diet a go, as it really does work
The attack phase really gets you off to a flying start, but I'm not sure if 10 days is a good idea but see how you go
The one thing that I found about this diet is that you need to be very organised as you don't want to get caught out without having the right foods handy.
I started in late January this year and this forum was very active which I found very supportive. A couple of us have tried to keep it going but it's been very quiet lately.
Hopefully new people like you will join and keep it going
Good luck with you journey and if you have any questions please ask.
Anna

pattygirl63
08-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi Anna, thanks for the welcome. I've made the 1st day and am going to aim for the 5 days. I'm not sure about 7 day and I don't think I even want to do 10. I will be extremely ready for veggie by the 6th day. Thanks for the advice.

pattygirl63
08-26-2012, 04:37 PM
The first day was long, but I stayed OP. Today is a little easier. I didn't make the pancake today, but I did use the 11/2T oat bran. I took the plain Greek yogurt and added the oat bran, 2 boiled eggs and Mrs. Dash seasoning and mixed it for a good breakfast. I am not going to think about having to do this 7 or 10 days... just take it one day at a time.

Official weight start yesterday was 234 and today was 229. I have been dealing with quite a bit of swelling since I hurt my knee about 6 weeks ago so I know the loss is all fluid, but it is almost back where my weight was before the injury. Have to say even that is a real boost for me.

I do hope we can get this group going. We will see.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

locastella
08-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi All,
Been a very busy month for me. Have traveled approx 6500 kms since Aug 2 and still managed to loose weight. That really tells me that you can make this program work anywhere, anytime!! I didn't loose a lot of weight this month only 5.4 lbs. Compared to some that is not at lot but I am very happy with it as I am really trying not to compare to anyone else. They are not me and I am not them.
Having survived this month and been successful I feel as tho I can see this through anything.

Welcome Trish :)

pattygirl63
08-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Hi All,
Been a very busy month for me. Have traveled approx 6500 kms since Aug 2 and still managed to lose weight. That really tells me that you can make this program work anywhere, anytime!! I didn't loose a lot of weight this month only 5.4 lbs. Compared to some that is not at lot but I am very happy with it as I am really trying not to compare to anyone else. They are not me and I am not them.
Having survived this month and been successful I feel as tho I can see this through anything.

Welcome Trish :)

Thanks for the welcome. Congratulations on losing while on a trip and on not comparing yourself with others. I feel the same way. I never lose as quickly as others so I have to always remind myself of that. I'm in the Attack phase for 2 more days and my weight loss has been water weight so I know it is not weight, but water weight that I had gained recently. But I will gladly take it any way. Every person is different. I met someone on another site who said she didn't lose one lb the 1st month that she was on it but then when she started to lose she losed really fast and had to add foods into her plan per her doc because she needed to slow it down for her health. I haven't been able to do any real exercise yet because of having to wait until my knee is healed and then will start rather slow when I do.

I think you have done a good job dieting while traveling and losing too. You should be proud of yourself.

locastella
08-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi Trish,
A note on comparing ourselves to others-
I have a friend who has had amazing and I mean amazing results on Ideal Protein, she has lost 52 lbs in 90 days and has another 50 to lose. I actually tried it but have an intolerance to whey, which is the main component of most of their products. As it turns out while I am envious of her rapid weight loss I can't help but feel that when she returns to regular food things are going to be tough!! I am pretty sure they would be for me at any rate.So although this Dukan way is slower it is real food and something I feel I can sustain. I have to be on cruise phase until February and I am pretty sure I couldn't live on powdered food even half that long. So I keep telling myself anyway!!
I have to keep pinching myself because I exercised like crazy for a year and lost 25 lbs, I have lost 24 since June 25 and I am only walking and eating DD. So it's a great thing for me. Hopefully your knee heals quickly. You really can only think of it as one day at a time, and really what else matters? I keep telling myself that, deal with today and the future I tend to obsess about will find me at my TW!!
Have a great day.

Trenchie
09-09-2012, 09:02 PM
hey :) can I join you here? I will start dukan on october first. Not that I don't want to start right now, I could actually but I'm going on a backpacking trip in 10 days for another 10 days so... yeah, no way I could only eat protein and veggies when, most of the times, we get food given by others...

anyway, started some small changes to make it easier but I am glad to see a Dukan section on this forum. I like IP and I like their snacks, I love whey protein so it tastes good to me but it's way too expensive to eat three of their things each day and I prefer real food.

I did dukan in the past, lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks and lost about 60cm on my body, which was amazing but again, backpacking trip for three weeks and I didn't find the strenght to get on it again after that and gained it all back. That's why I want to wait before I start. Can I just come and get to know you all before I start?

thanks and keep it up! :)

michelle7
09-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Hello all

I thought I would say a quick "hello" as I am starting the Dukan diet tomorrow. I have lost about 40 pounds and maintained over 4 years but every now and again I gain a bit and need to gain control once again.

I have never tried the Dukan and though it looked like a good choice since it was so cut and dry.

I will be checking in to see everyone's posts and also post how I am doing day by day.

Best,

locastella
09-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi Michelle and Trenchie,
Glad to see someone on here! I have spent most of my adult life trying to loose weight and am finally having sucesss! It really does work and I am happy to have someone to share it with :)

locastella
09-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Today I hit the 30lbs lost mark , and in less than 3 months!!! Can hardly believe how good this way of eating works to take of the pounds :)

DanafromAustin
09-13-2012, 12:41 PM
I have a quick question for those of you following the Dukan diet. I've lost 95 pounds since last fall following the Ideal Protein diet which I love. However, now that I'm down to my last 20 pounds, which I know can be difficult, the scale has slowed down to a crawl. I was looking at the Attack portion of the Dukan diet and I'm wondering if that might help me get these last pounds off? Of course I wouldn't stay on the Attack plan long enough to lose 20 pounds, but even if I did it for say 5 days or less do you think I might lose on that phase? My reserves are pretty well used up, so not much water retention left. Just wondering if I would lose much at all on this phase given that I've been on a diet for almost a year already?

locastella
09-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Hi Dana,
Wow 95lbs, you are a trooper! You should go to dukandiet.com and answer the questions to calculate how long it would take to loose that 20 lbs. I am a complete convert to Dukan. Because it's actually real food I feel like I can do this for as long as it takes. I had issues with IP and the whey content. I have a friend who did what you are suggesting and had great success. It seemed to jump start the loss again.
Good Luck

DanafromAustin
09-13-2012, 05:36 PM
locastella, I'm happy to see you have found success on this diet. I did go to the website, and found my true weight which initially I thought was too high. However after a great talk with my doctor this week , she helped me see that is a realistic weight number for me given my history. The website said I should be on the Attack phase for two days, the second phase till the end of October, and then all finished by the end of December. I've been doing boot camp on IP which has helped the scale move, but after almost two weeks on it, it's time for a break. I feel like I will be clawing my way to the finish line.
Perhaps when I finish with boot camp I will give the attack phase a shot for two days and see how or if I lose. Thanks for your feedback and continued good luck with this diet.

kaahess
09-17-2012, 07:23 PM
hi all - just started the dukan diet 2 days ago and so far, so good. a couple questions that i can't find in the book:
1. can we do fat-free, sugar-free pudding?
2. sugar-free jello??
3. any brand recommendations for fat-free, sugar-free yogurt?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

locastella
09-17-2012, 09:54 PM
hi all - just started the dukan diet 2 days ago and so far, so good. a couple questions that i can't find in the book:
2. sugar-free jello??

Hi Kaahess,
I have had FF, SF pudding made with skim milk. I have read on the Facebook page that it is a no no tho. So I am not sure. Jello is a yes SF of course. As for yogurt I buy Kirkland brand Fat Free Plain Greek yogurt at Costco. It is very good and the price can't be beat.

Locastella

michelle7
09-17-2012, 10:38 PM
2. sugar-free jello??

Yes on SF jello. No on SF pudding.

For yogurt, 0% Greek would be my #1 choice (sweetened with artificial sweetener and vanilla extract. I use stevia or splenda). I am trying to find Dannon Light and Fit Low Carb/Low Sugar yogurt but have to go to a neighbor city to get it. I plan to try to find it tomorrow.

I planned to start when I did my original post but slipped. I am on Day Two today though. I made the oat bran pancake with 1.5 T oat bran, 1/2 c. egg whites and a couple tablespoons of Greek yogurt and it was really good!

SophieCormier
09-20-2012, 09:10 AM
I borrowed the Dukan Diet book from the library. I was reading on the phases, so the first phase you only eat lean meats & sugar-free yogurt???

Edit: I haven't started reading the book, I only read bits and pieces on website reviews.

Edit 2: Ok, so I did more research and it sounds good. Lean meats, eggs & fat-free dairy products. I think it's worth reading :)

michelle7
09-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi Sophie!

I like the lower-fast approach to this low carb diet. I don't do well on the high saturated fat (e.g. skin on meat, pork bacon) + low carb

I am on my 5th day of it but have added 100 cals of regular oatmeal today (for breakfast) and I have been eating almonds 1x day, avocado and light string cheese.

What I loved is that eliminating all of the processed carbs and sugar has really gotten my appetite/cravings under control. The plan is so cut and dry as well.

Have you read The South Beach Diet? I think it's a good one too. I always use these plans to get me back under control when I gain some weight (I am in maintenance but have blips from time to time ;-)

niki41975
10-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Started Dukan today. It hasnt been to bad today. I am sure that in a few dAys it will get tough, carbs are my down fall. Wish me luck.

locastella
10-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Started Dukan today. It hasnt been to bad today. I am sure that in a few dAys it will get tough, carbs are my down fall. Wish me luck.

Good Luck :)

kerrielou28
10-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi guys..

My names kerrie i'm new (ish) to the dukan diet. I did try it before a yr or more ago but i only did the attack phase for 5 days before a birthday :D and lost 6 pounds which was great but i regret not sticking on the plan. Anyhow i'm back on it now.. currently on day 3 of the attack phase ... its going well i find this diet very easy to follow anyway :) no headaches or tiredness in fact i feel more energetic than i would normally be. I love the natural yogurt an eat it with oatbran to fill me up. I'm not a fan of eggs but i did buy them as i dont mind the odd one but cant eat them every day :( having them scrambled seems to be the most edible for me lol. I haven't had the pancake galette yet i might try it tomorrow. I did try it once before and didnt really like it. I think because the taste of egg was still coming through strong but i will try it with the yogurt and some cinnemon :D

Best of luck to you all! I'm glad i've joined this forum i think its great to motivate each other :) Would love to know how you guys are getting on with the diet? any tips tricks recipes for me?

Kerrie ;) x

amak30
10-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Hi everyone,
A huge welcome to michelle, kaahess, sopie, niki and kerrie, it's wonderful to see new faces on the forum.

I haven't written for quite a while mainly because I've been extremely busy at work and also I probably don't have much to report any more but I do look in every now and then and am excited to see new people starting out.

I started at the end of Jan 12 and have lost 19kg's (42 pounds) and am now in the permanent stabilzation phase. I've been the same weight for the last 3 months and am finding it quite easy to maintain.

It is the easiest diet I've even been on (and like most people, I've tried a few) and can thoroughly recommend it.

Kerrie, I wasn't a fan of the oatbran galette either so I invented my own version of pancakes, and they are abosulutely scrumptious and best of all because you're only using egg whites, there's absolutely no egg aftertaste at all. If you're interested, here's how I make them

Before starting to make them, place a non-stick pan on very low heat to start heating up.

Lightly whisk 2 egg whites and then mix in
1 tablespoon reduced fat ricotta,
1 tablespoon oat bran
1 tablespoon powedered skimmed milk
sweetener to taste (I use Stevia)
few drops of vanilla essence

Whisk well and allow to stand for a couple of minutes

When pan is warm, add a couple of drops of oil and wipe off with kitchen paper.
Lightly whisk again to make sure oatbran hasn't settled on botton and then pour into pan, either three or four pancakes and cook for approx 3 minutes before turning but please keep on eye on them as they burn very easily. Cook a further 2 minutes.

Serve with some sugar free maple flavoured syrup, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a generous dollop of vanilla yoghurt (or any flavour you like)

I use the egg yolks for mixing into rissoles or muffins etc.

Keep up the good work everyone, it's really worth it and if you have any questions at all, please ask.

Cheers,
Anna :)

Trenchie
10-06-2012, 11:20 AM
I am finally back after my trip... good thing is... I lost a pound loll so yeah, starting weight: 203,2 and I took my measurement...

I don't have much problem with eggs, the problem is chicken, I get so tired of it after a while...

I have some Ideal protein packets at home too so that can diversify things from time to time

bigdeamer92
10-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Hi everyone!
Today is my first day on the Dukan Diet Attack Phase! I look forward to sharing my journey with all of you and hearing yours! Does anyone have tips on snacks to eat during the attack phase?
Thanks! :D

amak30
10-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Hi bigdeamer and welcome:carrot:
So glad you're giving the diet a go because it really works
How many days do you plan to stay on attack?

Some snacks that I had were cold rotisserie chicken breast with the skin removed, chicken drumsticks baked in the oven (again without the skin), low fat ham spread with low fat ricotta and rolled up, hard boiled eggs and tinned tuna in spring water.

Good luck and keep posting progress updates
Anna

xoxoadore
10-11-2012, 06:14 PM
hey everyone! I'd love to start the Dunkan diet but my problem is I'm lactose intolerant and I only eat fish (of all the meats) does someone have anytips? do you guys think it's still possilble to do the attack phase with out these foods? :/

Filcha
11-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi,

I think it's hard if you dont eat dairy or most meats. It doesn't leave a lot of variety for PP days! There is tofu... I guess it's possible but it would be difficult.

nearlythere
11-21-2012, 03:02 AM
Hi all,
I have just joined the post, first time I have ever blogged. I have 1 kilo to go to get to my goal weight. I am on the cruise phase and am scared when I do get down of going onto consolidation. Guess just need to take one step at a time, or one day at a time. I am not missing carbs but feel if I have one piece of bread whoosh the flood gates will open, what are people's experiences? Also how long did people take to lose 1 kilo on cruise?
Looking forward to reading people's blogs.

nearlythere
11-21-2012, 03:04 AM
I don't eat meat but do eat fish and tofu which has been my saviour. You can do so much with it. Also eggs, use the whites a lot so you can still do it.

Allimac1
01-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Hi guys,

This thread has really grown since I was last on in 2011! At that time I was doing really well with Dukans, it was really the best and easiest diet I had ever done .... carbs/sugar cravings were practically gone - unfortunately I went off it and planned that from then on I would eat more healthily but guess what? I didnt .... and the weight has piled on again.

I started the attack phase yesterday but only had the guts to weigh myself this morning ....

I found yesterday absolutely fine - I drank loads of water, had plenty of turkey, salmon, eggs, made the pancake with low fat greek yogurt and it was delicious ....

Going skiing in 3 weeks and really want to shed some pounds before I go - feeling positive!!!!

Allimac1
01-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Down 5 lbs this morning!!!

April Snow
01-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Hi Alliemac!

I'm in the same boat - did great on Dukan for several months, and the drifted off and gained back almost everything. I'm re-starting on Sunday, so I have tomorrow to get all my Attack food at the store and ready to go!

I'm glad to see there is still a Dukan thread, hopefully you and I can support each other and we'll see others join back in too.

LAF58
01-05-2013, 01:20 AM
I just started Dukan this week and have lost 3.5 pounds so far, i find it easier if i don't have to cook for others....the smells just make me crazy!
(I told my DH he would be on his own for meals if he wanted anything off plan :^: , but he's ok with that, he knows how much i want to stay on track this time around. (we are planning a tropical vacation in early March :beach:)

Anyway, if you are looking for a Dukan buddy, i'd love to keep in touch.

:dust:

April Snow
01-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Hi LAF!! So glad to see that there are other current Dukaners on here! You are having a great first week with 3.5 lbs down, wow!

Allimac1
01-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Hi April Snow and LAF58, great to see current Dukaners!!

Sorry to hear about your gain April Snow, when I did this first time around in May/June, 2011 you were really active on this forum and gave brilliant advice. It's great to know though that you can do it again, you've done it before and it is certainly achievable!!!

I'm on day 6, still down the same 5 lbs as day 3 but I think the initial big loss was water ... I'm definitely down inches and my energy levels have surged after the initial lull from day 1 to day 3 .... did loads of housework over the weekend, I am feeling less lethargic and very positive today :)

Well done on your 3.5 lbs loss LAF78 :)

Looking forward to catching up with you.

April Snow
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Ugh, a new social group I'm joining has the first activity since I joined at a pizza place this weekend! I just went through the menu and there is nothing, and I mean nothing, on there I can eat. I'm thinking I would try to just eat some veggies and a little cheese off the top of a slice of pizza and hopefully not look too noticeable doing so?

That is the one main drawback I have with Dukan, it's not all that flexible when you aren't in control of the menu or choosing where to eat. I can generally do ok at many restaurants and get some sort of protein and vegetable. But that's not always an option. I definitely don't want to go off plan before I've even made my first week back though!

Allimac1
01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Don't go off your plan April Snow .... it's a pizza place, if they don't have prepared salads then they will have loads of toppings. I'm sure if you had a quiet word with your waitress/waiter you could get them to put together a plate of bits and pieces for you such as chicken, ham, beef(?), tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, onion and other allowed veg and just incorporate it into you PV day :)

If you tell some of your social group what you are doing I bet they'll be more than impressed!

Also, perhaps have your oat bran and fill up with water and other protein before you go? :chicken:

Best of luck

Eloise123
01-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Hi Ladies! Can I join you? I too just begun Dukan and could really use a friend or two! I do fine for about 3 days, but after that I fall off the wagon!

Eloise123
01-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Maybe we could be on a buddy list together?

Allimac1
01-09-2013, 05:12 AM
Hi guys and welcome Eloise ... I know what you mean about the 3 days but if you can get past those 3 days it gets easier! The cravings for carbs/sugars definitely lessens - I was really hungry one of the evenings even though I had eaten loads and was so tempted to have someting but in the end had some fat free yoghurt with oat bran.

I have just finished 7 days of Attack and lost 8 lbs ... I am supposed to go on Cruise today but I'm a bit nervous about it ... I kind of feel I am doing so well (even psychologically) and afraid if I start adding to the food list I'll crack!!

Anyway, hope everyone else is doing well :)

Onwards and inwards!!!!!

April Snow
01-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Hi Eloise!!

The one thing that has helped me is making sure I'm taking good vitamins and esp. potassium. That helps me get through the "Induction Flu" symptoms and stick with it.

Also, since your weight is not too high, I'm guessing your Attack is likely short? So you've got your yummy PV veggies to look forward to!!

April Snow
01-09-2013, 01:55 PM
But time for my confession. I'm not 100% on plan yet. It's silly but I had food I didn't want to waste. So I'm doing portion/calorie control but still eating some non-Dukan food. I was going to just toss it but felt too bad about doing that and my son refused it (he's 8 and a little picky). I have lost a little bit of weight, and hoping that I'll still see a nice rush when I start full fledged Attack in another day or two.

I'm going to do my full 7 days, whenever I start, so I'll get some of those days in this week and then the rest next week, so hopefully, between the first two weeks, I'll still see a good total number on the scale! And timing wise, I think this will actually be good, because I usually do get a couple of rough Induction days, but they will hit over the weekend when it will be easier to cope.

I'm doing good getting in my 20 minutes of walking though!!

April Snow
01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Saw a reference to this on another thread and googled it and found a recipe.

Cauliflower crust pizza

http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2012/09/healthy-pizza-with-a-cauliflower-crust/

Looks yummy and definitely PV friendly! This weekend will be Attack days, but I'm definitely planning on trying this the following weekend.

April Snow
01-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Ok, Attack Day 1 today! The scale was looking better than expected this morning so that was a good motivation to get serious about this. I'm doing a 7 day Attack phase and hopefully will see some good results.

April Snow
01-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Hi Allimac1 and Eloise123 and any other Dukaners out there!!

Today is day 2 of Attack for me. Yesterday was a little rocky but not awful and today seems to be better/easier. Maybe easing into it like this with a few days of calorie counting and fewer carbs than normal (but nowhere as low as Dukan numbers) was a good way to do this.

I feel like I'm already starting to have a bit more energy, and the appetite suppression seems to be kicking in too. Here's hoping I'm over the worst of the adjustment alread!

The scale was looking good too, and I'm really hoping for a good number on Sunday, with 2 more full days of Attack between now and then.

PinkWaterfall
01-13-2013, 02:51 AM
Hello everyone!
I'm brand new to the forum!
I've been on the Dukan Diet for 7 days now... and lost 2.75kg/about 6 lbs so far.

I found the attack phase hard for the first few days, then after a few days it seemed to become a lot easier.
I'm now in the Cruise stage and everything is going well - I haven't cheated once :)

April Snow
01-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Welcome PinkWaterall! And Congrats on your success so far!

April Snow
01-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Chicken parm meatballs

http://www.dinneralovestory.com/chicken-parm-meatballs/

I made them more Dukan friendly by skipping the olive oil, cutting way back on the parm cheese and using 1/3 cup of oatbran instead of breadcrumbs. I did use some low fat mozz but I find I can use a bit more fat than is supposed to be allowed, as long as I keep my carbs in check.

I guess this is technically a PV recipe, but I'm not going to worry over a couple of tablespoons of no sugar added spaghetti sauce. :D

domesticbliss
01-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Starting tomorrow I will officially be a Dukaner!
I am hard boiling a pot of eggs right now, and I've got my freezer stocked with precooked lean beef and turkey...
I am actually looking forward to changing my eating habits, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm sick of sugar.
I toyed around with the idea of doing Ideal Protein and Atkins, but I like the low-fat options Dukan has you eat.

PinkWaterfall
01-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Those Chicken Parm Meatballs look so yummyyy!!! :D

Allimac1
01-14-2013, 04:52 AM
Hi fellow dukaners ...... I am now in cruise phase, I stayed a bit longer on Attack than perhaps I should have but I was afraid to start change my diet! I ate so well on Saturday ... OMG at one point I felt really full and that was only because I had a steak and added mushrooms, onions, peppers, and had some spinach, basil and tomato ... it was gorgeous! It's amazing how by simply cutting back and eating basic food for a week or so how much my taste buds reacted!

I have to hold my hand up and say I cheated slightly .... had a glass of wine on Saturday and Sunday nights ... I'm not going to be beat myself up over it though ... overall by allowing myself to do things lilke this I'll be more inclined to keep going :dizzy:

April Snow
01-14-2013, 09:52 AM
I have to hold my hand up and say I cheated slightly .... had a glass of wine on Saturday and Sunday nights ... I'm not going to be beat myself up over it though ... overall by allowing myself to do things lilke this I'll be more inclined to keep going :dizzy:

The last time I did this, I was OBSESSED with staying on plan. And I did a pretty good job of it and had great success. But I also crashed and crashed hard and ended up falling off the wagon completely and regaining almost everything.

This time, I am trying to be a little more relaxed about it. No, I'm not having routine cheats, and I'm going to try to stay on plan as much as possible, which is going to be almost all of the time.

But I'm also not going to turn my life upside down. For instance, my work colleagues and I all go out for lunch to celebrate each other's birthdays. That happens once a month or so. So I'm going to go out to lunch, make as good a choice as I can with whatever the menu happens to be and then move on. And if that means I eat a little bit of food that would not be on plan, so be it. This has to be a lifelong journey and I need to find ways to make it fit my life instead of the other way around, even during Cruise.

Allimac1
01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
This has to be a lifelong journey and I need to find ways to make it fit my life instead of the other way around, even during Cruise.

Well said April Snow ...... :carrot:

domesticbliss
01-15-2013, 12:48 AM
I have to say I'm very pleased with how full I'm staying by only eating protein... with other plans I would be ravenous within 2 hours of eating, I ate dinner like 6 hours ago and am going strong...

It did feel a bit weird eating a plate of meat for dinner though... but I didn't feel deprived, it was delicious!

LAF58
01-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Hi Everyone,
i just wanted to touch base to say Hi, i had a very hectic week last week (lots of travel for work) and fell right off the wagon, almost put back on everything i lost the week before!!! Boy does that tell me I'm a stress eater or what!!!!

Anyway, i buckled down on Friday, and am back to 145, after 3 days on ATTACK. i am just getting so tired of chicken (oh my, too soon for that)

Has anyone ever substituted IDEAL Protein products for the real thing while on the CRUISE Phase? I have an IPHONE App where i can easily track total carbs (along with other nutritional data)(set limit for 35/day) and thought if i monitored that closely, and stuck to DUKAN methodology, it might just work out?? just wanting easy options when travelling, or when needing a quick protein fix.

Anyway, interested in your thoughts on this.
Have a great week, I'm back on the road again but better prepared this time.

Welcome Eloise, Pink Waterfall and Domesticbliss. Great to have more DUKANERS!

Allimac1
01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Isn't it amazing how soon we do get into this diet once the initial cravings diminish around day 3???

I am finding it expensive .... the rest of the house is having chicken tonight and I'm having fillet steak :D :D

One thing I have noticed though, this time and the last time I did this, my cycle goes all funny .... I think my body is in such shock it has again decided to bring forward the time of the month by 8 - 9 days!!!! :?:

April Snow
01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Glad we've got a nice littel crew of Dukaners! Welcome Domesticbliss, and glad you are getting off to a great start!

And how are you doing PinkWaterfall?

LAF, I've re-done Attack a few times. Or I guess I really just throw in extra PP days, I've never been completely clear on the difference. :lol: I think you are supposed to start off with less oat bran, but you are also allowed to have extra if you need it, and I have had a second serving a couple of times. I've never tried an Ideal Protein stuff, so I have no idea what is in it. Generally speaking, I think it's better to try to stay away from processed foods and none of this "net carbs" stuff - if it's got low(ish) carbs and fat, and a lot of protein, it should be ok, but if it's got lots of carbs that they say don't really count for some reason, I'd probably steer clear personally. But if that's what it takes to stay on plan, it's still better than the alternative.

Allimac - yes, this is a lot more expensive than pasta, etc. But then again, bags of candy and chips, etc. aren't all that cheap either, esp. when you eat way too much at one time, like I tend to do. So I'm spending a little bit more on food, but not as much as I feared, once I subtract all that stuff off the bill. I do buy some treats for my kid but he's good about eating 2 cookies and stopping, so a bag of cookies for him lasts several weeks. With me eating them, a few days would be a stretch! lol!

PinkWaterfall
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm doing great, thank you April Snow!

I'm surprising myself as to how I've kept to this diet. I almost cheated with some chocolate on Monday night but I just remembered how much everything that is in chocolate is bad for Dukan - so I just had a cup of tea instead and the weakness soon passed. I'm rather proud I got passed that one :)

Allimac1, I find this diet expensive, too! But not so much with buying things like steak... I stick with the cheaper options like chicken and fish. But its that MOST meals consist of some type of meat/fish/seafood... instead of having a lunch of noodles or rice (which are very cheap).

I'm not going out drinking either so the money I'm saving from alcohol and nibbles I'm reinvesting in the good Dukan-friendly food.

domesticbliss
01-15-2013, 07:12 PM
I use the Fage 0% yogurt, fat free, no added sugars, but it has 8 grams of carbs per container...
can we really have unlimited yogurt (being reasonable, I wouldn't eat over 2 a day)?

April Snow
01-15-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm surprising myself as to how I've kept to this diet. I almost cheated with some chocolate on Monday night but I just remembered how much everything that is in chocolate is bad for Dukan - so I just had a cup of tea instead and the weakness soon passed. I'm rather proud I got passed that one

Tea is my go to when I want something sweet - milky tea with some sweetener in it really hits the spot! Plus it's been so cold here lately (like -7 degrees at night cold) so having something warm before bed helps me fall asleep.

I use the Fage 0% yogurt, fat free, no added sugars, but it has 8 grams of carbs per container...
can we really have unlimited yogurt (being reasonable, I wouldn't eat over 2 a day)?

Not unlimited - it's 2 lbs of dairy per day - which is a weird measurement, and I'm not sure exactly how that gets measured. But I think 2 servings of yogurt a day should be fine. If your weight loss stalls, you can try cutting back then and see what happens. But as long as you are losing comfortably, I wouldn't worry about it.

domesticbliss
01-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Thanks April!
And I totally agree with you, I found a dessert tea- Vanilla Caramel, that really is sinful and great for late night cravings

PinkWaterfall
01-16-2013, 03:37 AM
I'm obsessed with brown rice tea at the moment.
I bought it by mistake, but it's really good!

Does anyone have any tips of a good proteiny snack for the mid-afternoons? I've been nibbling on boiled eggs but it would be nice to have something different now and then. I don't have access to any type of cooker/microwave/etc at work.

Allimac1
01-16-2013, 07:15 AM
Does anyone have any tips of a good proteiny snack for the mid-afternoons? I've been nibbling on boiled eggs but it would be nice to have something different now and then. I don't have access to any type of cooker/microwave/etc at work.

I snack on sliced chicken or beef from the supermarket ...usually gets me over a hump or else some 0% greek style yoghurt to which I add a small bit of oat bran and a small bit of sweetener (it's actually quite nice!).

April Snow
01-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Same as Allimac for snacks - sliced deli meat, greek yogurt (I add a little sprinkle of Crystal Light for sweetness and flavor), hard boiled eggs -sometimes just the egg whites if I've already had enough eggs, or want to save one up to have an extra gallette at night.

But the last couple of days, even though I've had snacks with me at work, I haven't been hungry enough to eat them anyway.

domesticbliss
01-17-2013, 01:41 AM
PinkWaterfall- I eat hard boiled eggs, and recently have started rolling some smoked deli turkey up with Alouette Light Garlic & Herbs cheese, its not completely fat free but the numbers are good and there's only 1 carb

PinkWaterfall
01-17-2013, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!
I will try some of these out after I hit up the supermarket! :)

April Snow
01-17-2013, 06:47 PM
I should have started Cruise today, but my schedule got complicated and I haven't been able to get to the store for some fresh veggies, and I won't be able to go tonight either. So another day of PP for me but I will definitely have some veggies tomorrow and over the weekend.

Until Dukan, I never got this excited about getting to have veggies! lol!

domesticbliss
01-18-2013, 12:57 AM
Today I felt awful!
I don't know if it's my body adjusting to the diet or what, but I didn't expect this on day 4.
Weak/shaky/super tired/nauseous/stomach feels hungry then feels full... ick.
I took a supplement that has electrolytes in them because I was so lightheaded... hopefully tomorrow will be better.

domesticbliss
01-18-2013, 12:59 AM
question-
I track my food in an online program and noticed my calories have been really low, like I had one day where I broke 1,000 calories.
I know the book says not to count, but wasn't he talking about don't worry if you eat alot...
am I eating too little?

PinkWaterfall
01-18-2013, 03:39 AM
I think only you can be the judge if you are eating too little... were you hungry?

I haven't counted my calories - and I don't want to know. I've done calorie counting diets and found my progress was really really slow.

I haven't been hungry on this diet at all, and I haven't been eating lots.

I wonder if an alternating number of calories every day also helps keep the body on its toes? (Instead of eating to a set number of calories each day)

Allimac1
01-18-2013, 05:05 AM
It's amazing how we are all saying more or less the same thing .... we just haven't been hungry on this diet .... ok, there have been moments, mostly through my own fault when I've gone too long between meals, when I've found it really really difficult to resist having a slice of bread or something fast when I get in from work.

I wouldn't be able to do this diet without the oat bran though ... I soooo look forward to my pancake with my evening meal ..... the days I'm having veggies I cook them up first then add the pancake mix to it so it's like an omlette and it is really delicious ... last night I was on PP so had the pancake, topped it with smoked salmon, added some lime juice, black pepper and some basil and it was like a pizza .... mmmm .... I can taste it now!!

PinkWaterfall
01-18-2013, 05:19 AM
I love those meals where you can still taste them just by thinking about them :)

I'm not good at cooking at all... but I'm finding I'm getting better as I stay on this diet - just because I want to try a variety of foods and in a variety of way.

April Snow
01-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Today I felt awful!
I don't know if it's my body adjusting to the diet or what, but I didn't expect this on day 4.
Weak/shaky/super tired/nauseous/stomach feels hungry then feels full... ick.
I took a supplement that has electrolytes in them because I was so lightheaded... hopefully tomorrow will be better.

This is the carb detox. I found that taking a really good multi-vitamin and some extra potassium helps. It shouldn't last too much longer, and I hope you are already feeling better today!

April Snow
01-18-2013, 12:17 PM
re: calories.

I actually like to journal my food on Fitday, even when on Dukan. I find it's a good way to make sure I'm sticking to the on plan foods. But out of curiosity, I like to see the calories and carb grams - and I do find that when I go *too* low on carbs, I don't feel great, and seeing the numbers can be a good reminder to have some extra oat bran or yogurt.

And yeah, sometimes the calories are shockingly low. Well below 1000 at times. But I am truly not hungry.

(that's not to say I never get hungry at all any more - I was super hungry last night and cooked myself a big steak and feel way better now! lol!)

April Snow
01-18-2013, 12:21 PM
I do ok on the limited food variety - it helps me spend less time thinking about food overall.

I am trying to experiment a little bit though - mostly to try to come up with things that I can prepare ahead and portion out and reheat as needed. I really like the convenience of not having to cook every day. For me personally, that is what helps me stay on track whether it's Dukan or any other plan.

The chicken parm meatballs I posted about were good, and it's great because I now have a bag in the freezer and can take 2-3 out at a time. I'll definitely be making another batch of those.

April Snow
01-18-2013, 12:24 PM
It's amazing how we are all saying more or less the same thing .... we just haven't been hungry on this diet .... ok, there have been moments, mostly through my own fault when I've gone too long between meals, when I've found it really really difficult to resist having a slice of bread or something fast when I get in from work.

I wouldn't be able to do this diet without the oat bran though ... I soooo look forward to my pancake with my evening meal ..... the days I'm having veggies I cook them up first then add the pancake mix to it so it's like an omlette and it is really delicious ... last night I was on PP so had the pancake, topped it with smoked salmon, added some lime juice, black pepper and some basil and it was like a pizza .... mmmm .... I can taste it now!!

I really love the oatbran too, esp. galettes. I don't have one every day, because I don't have enough time in the mornings to make them. So they are a weekend treat with a nice big mug of tea, or a special treat at night when I need something extra.

Do you eat any other oatbran during the day? I found that when I was not having some in the mornings, I would feel horrible so I make a little portion of the porridge at work every morning. When I have a galette at night, it's as an extra. But since I am closing in on 10 lbs in less than 2 weeks, I am feeling pretty sure I am not having too much oatbran! lol!

Allimac1
01-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I really love the oatbran too, esp. galettes. I don't have one every day, because I don't have enough time in the mornings to make them. So they are a weekend treat with a nice big mug of tea, or a special treat at night when I need something extra.

Do you eat any other oatbran during the day? I found that when I was not having some in the mornings, I would feel horrible so I make a little portion of the porridge at work every morning. When I have a galette at night, it's as an extra. But since I am closing in on 10 lbs in less than 2 weeks, I am feeling pretty sure I am not having too much oatbran! lol!

I go over on my oat bran most days ..... Mid-morning I have a yoghurt and I sometimes put about half a spoon of oatbran into that, might do the same mid-afternoon and then make the pancake in the evening ... having the pancake in the evening makes me think that I have had a "real" dinner if you know what I mean and stops me from snacking after.

I just discovered that the yoghurt I thought was 0 fat, wasn't quite 0 fat :( I have now changed to a different brand.

April snow, you're doing great, you'll be on your 10lb loss badge in no time :hug:

domesticbliss
01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
re: calories

thanks for all your replies, and I'm glad I'm not the only one. Even though my calories are super low, I am NOT hungry, and unlike other foods, I can't force myself to eat protein when I'm full... maybe that's why this plan works.

what is everyone's average weekly loss?

PinkWaterfall
01-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I am only on Day 13... but I have already lost 9lbs. Which to me is crazy!

domesticbliss
01-18-2013, 07:09 PM
That's great PinkWaterfall, you're pretty close to goal too.

PinkWaterfall
01-18-2013, 07:22 PM
I see the weight loss levelling off this week though... 6lbs in the first week and now 3lbs this week... and I expect more levelling off next week too since I don't have much to lose. (The Dukan website told me I'd reach my true weight and finish the cruise phase in March)

April Snow
01-18-2013, 09:18 PM
That's exciting PinkWaterfall! I think this is a great plan when you don't have a whole lot to lose, and I know several people who finished up their Cruise phase exactly on schedule.

I've lost 9.2 as of this morning - hoping that I make it to 10 lbs on Sunday, which will be 2 weeks although the first few days were not Dukan. I never count on anything on the scale, of course. I'm really amazed that Dukan is working this well doing it for second time. I looked at my numbers from last time, and I'm actually losing even faster this time, at least for now.

PinkWaterfall
01-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Fingers crossed you can make it to 10! Sounds a nice round number :)

Well... I have 15lbs to lose, and my cruise phase should end on March 12th... about 7 and a half weeks away... so that's 2lbs a week to lose... which I hope I can do (sounds reasonable to me).

Do you know anyone who extended their cruise phase to lose a little bit more? I was 130 the summer before last and still thought I could of lost a little more at that time.
As I understand it, your "true weight" is what you are supposed to be realistically able to maintain for your life while not actively dieting based on your past history.

April Snow
01-19-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm on the fence about the True Weight. My number is 181, which seems achievable but high to me. I guess I will have to wait until I get there and see how I feel about it. Sometimes I wonder if they are artificially high in the sense that they aren't just the number that they calculate you can get to and maintain, but that they are purposefully a little high so you have the incentive of beating it? lol!

But for me, a lot depends on the clothing size when I get there. Even more than the scale, I want to get out of plus sized clothing, whatever number that takes.

I guess I've got a long time - 65ish lbs before I need to worry, and right now I need to focus on staying on plan long term enough to get there and have this "problem" to worry about! :)

April Snow
01-20-2013, 12:29 PM
down 5 for the week, 10.8 total for two weeks. The first few days when I started weren't Dukan, but overall, I'm amazed that the loss was this much. I was worried that doing this a second time, I would see diminishing results, but I've actually lost more in the first 2 weeks than I did the first time!

And interestingly, I'm not even being 100% strict. Not huge changes, but I didn't worry about having a bit of extra oat bran, and I didn't worry about having some 1% milk and part skim mozzarella rather than going with fat free dairy. My son drinks the milk too and I didn't want to go lower than 1% for him, esp. when I'm only having a splash here and there in tea or galettes or porridge.

I learned that none of those things was a big deal for me the last time, so I was able to be more relaxed this time. And maybe being relaxed helped too?

I do expect the scale to drift upwards a bit over the next few days, as I'm having my PV days. But then I'll have a few PP days prior to WI next Sunday and I should see if I have a net loss for the week.

Hope everyone else is having a great and on plan weekend!

PinkWaterfall
01-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Congratulations on hitting 10.8 loss!

It's great your modifications worked too... it means the diet won't be hard to stick to long term for you! You can diet and enjoy eating too :)

Allimac1
01-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Well done April Snow and PinkWaterfall ... you're both doing brilliantly!!!

I am down 9 lbs in just under 3 weeks, thought it would be more .... saying that I am definitely down inches .... going to the gym this evening for a weigh and measure :)

PinkWaterfall
01-21-2013, 08:50 AM
9lbs in 3 weeks is still a great number!!
It's good too that you can see the results in inches already!

April Snow
01-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks Pink and Allimac.

And personally, I think 9 lbs in 3 weeks is great! Don't forget that I started off much 60 lbs higher, so that is why I see bigger losses at the start. You are only 2 lbs away from what is supposed to be my True Weight! lol! (still reserving jugement on that though!) And that's also great that you are seeing inches. I think that some of my clothing is maybe a teeny bit less snug, but definitely no real visible change yet. I think I will need to get to about 25 lbs (10% loss) before that happens, at least going by last time.

Allimac1
01-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Went for my weigh and measure girls and I was down 12 lbs!! I was thrilled .... now under 13 stone (well just ...) and looking forward to going into the 170's .... I was down inches as well which is probably more important .... the boobs are coming down at last :)

Do any of you feel you have more energy on Dukan once you get over the initial flu like symptoms?? I am buzzing, I really am, there's never been so much housework done and that is on top of working full time ...

domesticbliss
01-21-2013, 06:36 PM
So, I didn't lose anything the last 3 days of my attack...
And now I'm supposed to start cruise, today is supposed to be my first P&V day, but everyone says you put weight on once you eat vegetables...
so if I'm not losing weight, and I'm going to put some more back on... I don't know what I'm asking, I'm just worried.

The weight will come off right? If I am 100% on plan, it will come off evenutally, right?

April Snow
01-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Allimac - yay for a great weigh in! 12 lbs is wonderful!!

And yes, I do start to have more energy. For me, I think part of that is that I sleep better. I'm just starting to feel that now, so I'm looking forward to feeling that even more soon.

domesticbliss - I do think it's a little unusual to not lose weight on Attack, but I'm sure your body will catch up. How do you plan to handle PP and PV days? I generally do all my PV days in a row - mostly so that I can cook fresh veggies and eat them while they are still good. But I also like that I have a few PP days in a row before I WI too, I think that pattern tends to highlight the losses. But you'll still lose if you alternate days, I think you just have to be careful to look at week over week rather than changes from day to day.

So the big thing that I've noticed after a long Attack/PP phase was that it makes vegetables taste sooooo good! :) I have been really enjoying them now that I can have them again - also part of why the 3-4 PV days in a row work for me too. I'm really looking forward to having them by the time my next PV stretch comes.

domesticbliss
01-21-2013, 11:10 PM
AprilSnow- I did lose weight on Attack, I was losing something every day, until the last three days, hope I wasn't confusing.

At first I just wanted to continue the attack and do the 5/5... because I didn't feel deprived with no vegetables, but I ate them tonight and will see how that goes before deciding between 5/5 and 2/2

I totally agree that going PP makes vegetables taste so good, I couldn't understand how people were saying they craved veggies until I bit into my cauliflower and was like, "omg that's what they were talking about!"

PinkWaterfall
01-22-2013, 04:25 AM
12 lbs is amazing!! Well done!!

I don't know if I have more "get up and go" energy... but I'm certainly more alert... if I didn't have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, I'd be yawning. But now I don't even drink coffee (turns out I like the taste of brown rice tea better so I've been drinking that instead) and I'm fully alert.

domesticbliss, your body needs the goodness inside the vegetables, so regardless of if you put a little bit of weight back on you are much better off eating them :)
I didn't gain weight after my first PV day, but I didn't lose either that day, but I did drop a lb after the following PP day.

Allimac1
01-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Domesticbliss, it could do with the time of the month .... I went up and down for a few days last week and it is only this week that I have normalised again and the weight has dropped off ... your body is probably still in shock and trying hard to hold onto the calories - maybe you're not eating enough? Sometimes eating a bit more can trigger the metabolism.

Stick with it and the weight will come off - I was using a yoghurt which wasn't non fat and I have now changed and seeing the difference.

I am doing alternate pp/pv days, loving my stir fried veg with my pancake and meat for evening meal :)

Hairballz
01-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Hey all, I'm new, found this forum by doing a search for Dukan. I'm NOT new to low carbing, but haven't really been doing low carb like I know to do for several years - and my body shows it!

Bought the Dukan book and actually found I prefer the rules/rigidity of it to Atkins, which I'd done in the past. I've got quite a bit to lose, but I'm on the morning of Day 3 and lost 4.5 pounds the first 3 days. I'm a huge carnivore, so like some others I've read here this isn't really an adjustment of any kind - I prefer meat.

I'm going to do Attack for the full 10 days before I start 1/1 alternating of proteins with proteins+vegs.

I know there's a TREMENDOUS range in what someone can expect to lose in attack phase, but can any of you who have done the full 10 days chime in on what you lost? Thanks!

Allimac1
01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi April Snow, hope you don't mind me copying your avatar?? I thought being able to change it for each 5 lb loss was a great motivation .....

Welcome Hairballz, being a carnivore should certainly help you on Dukan and congratulations on your loss so far, great :)

I can't remember how much I lost in attack, I think it was about 7 lbs but I suppose it really depends on what weight you are starting off ...

Best of luck

April Snow
01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
AprilSnow- I did lose weight on Attack, I was losing something every day, until the last three days, hope I wasn't confusing.

At first I just wanted to continue the attack and do the 5/5... because I didn't feel deprived with no vegetables, but I ate them tonight and will see how that goes before deciding between 5/5 and 2/2

I totally agree that going PP makes vegetables taste so good, I couldn't understand how people were saying they craved veggies until I bit into my cauliflower and was like, "omg that's what they were talking about!"

I mean that not losing for 3 of those Attack days is unusual, but it will all balance out in the end, I'm sure.

I had cauliflower last night too. Yummmm! I don't think there is a dancing cauliflower, so Mr. Broccoli will have to do :broc:

April Snow
01-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Hey all, I'm new, found this forum by doing a search for Dukan. I'm NOT new to low carbing, but haven't really been doing low carb like I know to do for several years - and my body shows it!

Bought the Dukan book and actually found I prefer the rules/rigidity of it to Atkins, which I'd done in the past. I've got quite a bit to lose, but I'm on the morning of Day 3 and lost 4.5 pounds the first 3 days. I'm a huge carnivore, so like some others I've read here this isn't really an adjustment of any kind - I prefer meat.

I'm going to do Attack for the full 10 days before I start 1/1 alternating of proteins with proteins+vegs.

I know there's a TREMENDOUS range in what someone can expect to lose in attack phase, but can any of you who have done the full 10 days chime in on what you lost? Thanks!

Welcome Hairballz! I ended up doing about 10 days of attack because of poor planning (didn't have time to go shopping to buy veggies). I had 3 days of low cal/non-Dukan while I was finishing up some off plan food that I had. During those two weeks, I lost a total of 10.8, and I think about 7-8 of that was during the Attack days. So while I am not sure you'll keep up the current pace of 1.5 per day, I would not be surprised if you break 10 lbs, if you are looking to lose 100 lbs or more.

April Snow
01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
and good morning PinkWaterfall and Allimac!!

Allimac, how fun to see your chickie avatar! They definitely work for me, and when I'm getting close to a new one, I will push myself a little bit extra to try to hit that next 5 lbs. I find it very motivating, I hope you will too!

Hairballz
01-22-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm looking to lose about 50 total, though reserving the option for a few more after that. 50 would get me to my PERSONAL ideal weight, though it's still about 15 more than "the charts" say the upper limit is for my height. Like they know! LOL!

Thanks for the reply/encouragement. I'm actually enjoying the meat-fest as I call it! Have a nice steak waiting at home for tonight, and have gotten hooked on the imitation crab meat as a snack. I was really interested to read in the book that Dukan endorses diet sodas! Given all that is being said about them these days that was different, though I'm happy to get "permission" to enjoy my Coke Zero!

PinkWaterfall
01-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Good Morning!
Gosh, look at all those chicks! (Makes me want to cook up some chicken! :D lol)

I was happy too that we can have Coke Zero! Love that stuff.

Although I didn't have a Coke Zero until about a week and a half into my diet and I found it soooo sweet. Maybe because we have cut sugar from our diets? Either way... it was a bit of a shock but yummy :D

Hairballz
01-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I have to set a daily limit on those coke zeros or I'll drink them all day long. One of the worlds great gifts to dieters!

April Snow
01-22-2013, 09:17 PM
I just had the most delicious supper - some roasted cauliflower, and three of those chicken parm meatballs I posted about a couple of pages back with an extra generous portion of tomato sauce and some melted mozzarella.

Diet? What diet? :D

PinkWaterfall
01-23-2013, 05:53 AM
We certainly get to eat well on this diet!

I had yummy salmon with some lemon juice on it :)
It's probably the best thing I can cook lol.

Allimac1
01-23-2013, 05:59 AM
All this talk of food!!! I had sirloin steak (8.99 euro for two in Aldi so not tooooo expensive as a treat) with stir fried mushrooms, red peppers, onion and spinach with the pancake mix thrown in on top so it was like an omlette ... delicious!!

Roasted cauliflower sounds good .... do you just put it in the oven raw or part boil first??

Hairballz
01-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Ya'll are making me hungry and it's not even 6am here! Aaggh!

Morning of Day4 of Attack, down 5.3 pounds so far. Yipee for me! I'm trying real hard to remind myself this rate of loss won't likely last but is a natural phenomena of just starting out. Steel myself for when it slows down - though I am enjoying the ride right now.

PinkWaterfall
01-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Congratulations on your loss so far, Hairballz! You are doing great!

The benefit of Dukan... if you're hungry, you can eat!!

A few more days (if that) and you won't feel hungry at all - I haven't felt hunger once on this diet since the initial attack phase.

Hairballz
01-23-2013, 08:49 AM
I have to say that other than the times I sit here and read what everyone's eating (:D !!!) I haven't really experienced any raving hunger, just what I'd call normal hunger. And when that arrives, I just eat something. Trying to remember the Dukan advice to just eat what I want as long as it's on the list of attack-approved items. If I feel hungry, I eat something, trying to learn to forget about what the clock says or how much time has passed since I last ate. I think after decades of dieting and fighting my weight I've lost touch with ACTUAL hunger cues, so I'm trying to listen to my body and learn.

The imitation crab meat is a godsend to me - a little bit of that and a bottle of water as a snack and I'm good to go. Having the strangest cravings for grilled burgers, though! Will have to get out and satisfy that today!

PinkWaterfall
01-23-2013, 09:10 AM
This diet really is great for people who don't like feeling hungry. I know from past experience too that you can get soooo hungry when you are counting calories.

Imitation crab meat is yummmm!!! But... be careful with it - check the carbs and sugar content on the packet. Some of them are quite high...

April Snow
01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
We don't usually spend all this time talking about food - but it does go to show that this is not a deprivation diet at all!

Allimac - re: cauliflower, I don't boil it first. I cut it up in to small pieces - a little bigger than bite size because it shrinks down a bit while cooking. I use a tiny spray of olive oil (I have one of those Misto spray bottles). I know that isn't 100% on plan but it works for me. Then I sprinkle with some salt, pepper and garlic powder but you can use any spices you like, a lot of people like to use curry powder.

I like to roast in a hot oven - about 450F in a glass baking dish and stir every few minutes until it's done. I like it when it gets a bit brown and crusty on the edges so I cook a bit longer than some people, about 25 minutes or so.

I make a big batch at once, and then re-heat a portion at a time in a toaster oven if possible - you can use a microwave but it's better in the toaster oven.

Allimac1
01-23-2013, 12:53 PM
re: cauliflower, I don't boil it first. I cut it up in to small pieces - a little bigger than bite size because it shrinks down a bit while cooking. I use a tiny spray of olive oil (I have one of those Misto spray bottles). I know that isn't 100% on plan but it works for me. Then I sprinkle with some salt, pepper and garlic powder but you can use any spices you like, a lot of people like to use curry powder.

Thank's April Snow, will give it a try ..... I use coconut oil in my stir fries, I know it's not 100% allowed either but it does have some other health benefits going for it and it does taste good!!! :)

PinkWaterfall
01-23-2013, 05:25 PM
I know its been mentioned before... but the time of the month really is a diet killer!!
I went up and down a little and compared to this time last week I lost 1 and a half pound :(
I know its a move in the right direction... but its only week 3 - I was hoping for a little better. Hopefully next week will improve!!

April Snow
01-23-2013, 08:45 PM
I know its been mentioned before... but the time of the month really is a diet killer!!
I went up and down a little and compared to this time last week I lost 1 and a half pound :(
I know its a move in the right direction... but its only week 3 - I was hoping for a little better. Hopefully next week will improve!!

honestly, at your body weight, I think that is great - that's 1% of your body weight!

PinkWaterfall
01-24-2013, 05:11 AM
Ooohhh!! I never thought of it that way before! Thank you, that actually really helps! :)

But I still resent that time of the month! lol

Hairballz
01-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Morning of Day 7, down 5.7 pounds. Entering into Week 2 (doing the full 11 day attack). Appetite has really been under control, just a non issue. Pleasant surprise. Had one day this week when work was just one insane stress after another and I didn't drink as much fluid as I knew I should and, not surprisingly, that was my tiniest loss day. Lesson learned....drink that water!

Yesterday at work someone brought in those little mini bunt cakes...chocolate with chocolate icing dripped on them, still warm! Oh why do you torture me so?!?! But I let my feet keep me strong, just left the room!

April Snow
01-25-2013, 11:50 AM
great job hairballz!

I feel the same way about not buying off plan food. I don't have to have willpower all the time - just while I am in the supermarket. After that, if it's not in my house, then I don't have to be strong not to eat it!

I do get off plan food for my son, but I try to get things that he likes but that I don't as much as I can. But so far so good, even with what is around the house. It's just not bothering me at all to not have it.

PinkWaterfall
01-25-2013, 07:06 PM
You're doing really well hairballz!

I think our will power is increasing on this diet! Because we *can't* eat those foods... we're being strong. Unlike other diets where they allow a little bit... but seriously, who eats 2 squares of chocolate at a time? They come in bars for a reason...

I actually have chocolate from England stuffed in my fridge for emergencies... but I haven't really been tempted at all to reach for it. I open my fridge and it's all the way back there but the Dukan stuff is in front and is easily the choice to go for.

I live alone so I don't have to worry about buying for other people or coming into a situation where I can see all types of non-Dukan-friendly food. In the supermarket I just bypass all the not-allowed areas :)

Hairballz
01-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Me too, no worries about what junk food someone else wants, which is nice. My biggest hurdle is the old enemy, work-stress. I have a crazy stressful job and sometimes after a really bad day I'm vulnerable, but this past week I had the two most stressful days ever in the history of mankind and still didn't fall to carbs. So maybe ill make it!

Hairballz
01-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Hey anyone who is in cruise phase, I have a specific question ...is salsa permissible, provided it is low carb without added sugar? Seems to me it would be, but I haven't seen anything specifically mentioning it. I'm moving to cruise in another week, looking forward to salsa on eggs!

domesticbliss
01-26-2013, 08:58 PM
I use salsa on my P&V days, since it's a tomato technically

April Snow
01-26-2013, 09:04 PM
yes, salsa is fine. and you can even use a couple of spoonfuls on a PP day as a condiment - not in Attack, but once you get to Cruise.

(btw, when I answer these questions, it's because I've seen the answer on one of the official Dukan chat transcripts - they have people posting questions and some of the counselors, and occasionally Dr. Dukan, will answer).

I had a good lesson in the power of being prepared today. We were out and about a lot of the day - I had packed my lunch but it wasn't much, some chicken salad made with a little greek yogurt. I managed to resist any impulse purchases when we stopped at Target but when we got home, I was soooo hungry. But I keep hardboiled eggs in the fridge all the time, and I was able to eat the egg whites of a couple (already had a gallette today and didn't want to eat another whole egg). And a quick dinner- reheating some of those chicken parm meatballs I made a couple of weeks ago. this was the last of the batch, so I'm definitely making some more again this week. It really makes a huge difference to have some on plan food that I can just reheat and not have to cook from scratch all the time!

Has anyone found some other good cook-ahead meals to freeze? I have a recipe for a crockpot orange chicken that I'm trying tomorrow, and I think portions of that would freeze well if it turns out good, I'll keep you posted!

April Snow
01-26-2013, 09:54 PM
this is also a really helpful list of some additional foods that are allowed beyond the 100 standard items.

http://ddr.myfreeforum.org/archive/dukan-diet-100-safe-food-list__o_t__t_203.html

I would definitely keep both quantity and frequency limits - no more than 2 tolerated foods a day, and I personally have them only a couple of times a week. But it's nice to be able to break things up a bit. And if you stall/slow your loss too much then cut them out for a while and see what happen.

Just speaking from my own experience, a little extra fat beyond what is allowed doesn't seem to be a problem, but extra sugars/carbs do end up resulting in a smaller loss for that week. But everyone is different, of course, so you have to figure out what works for you.

PinkWaterfall
01-26-2013, 10:22 PM
I haven't noticed much about extra fat... but exta carbs defiantly seem to slow the loss down.

Thank you for that list! Although I've been using shirataki noodles on PP days and attack days and found I still lost.
I got excited when I read "30 ml of wine" then read "(for cooking only)" after it... booo!

April Snow
01-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Has anyone tried the microwave Mug Muffins? I just tried one for the first time, and oh my goodness, it's good!

I mixed and matched from a few different recipes I saw on line and ended up using

1 egg
3 T milk
generous splash vanilla extract
1/2 t cinnamon (maybe more - several generous shakes)
1/2 T greek yogurt
1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t sweetener (different amounts for different types)
2 T oat bran

Use a large mug - it really expands a lot. Beat up the egg and milk, add any extract and spices, beat in the yogurt and then add baking powder and oat bran. Consistency should be quite liquid (more liquid than the gallette mixture), add another splash of milk if needed. I cooked mine for 2.5 minutes on high.

It is quite bread-like in texture, more like a moist, solid sponge cake rather than a muffin to me. Very tasty and it makes quite a large portion so it's filling and you are eating a nice generous amount of tasty warm cake.

I can't wait to try it tomorrow with some cocoa powder! The one change is that I will let the mixture sit for a little bit before cooking - there were some flaky bits of oat bran that I think would go away if I let them absorb a little more moisture first.

Hairballz
01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the link to the list. I'm anticipating a struggle when I move to cruise because I'm just not a veggie eater, of the whole list of allowable Veggies there's only about 4 that I will eat! Lettuce/spinach, green beans, broccoli, tomatoes. That's my whole list! I literally will not touch the others. But I AM looking forward to those few!

April Snow
01-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Down 1.6 for the week for a total of 12.4 in 3 weeks. I am certainly not going to complaint about that, although I admit I would have liked to have been 1/2 lower, to get my first 5%. But I'm sure I'll hit it next week.

April Snow
01-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Hairballz, if you like broccoli, try the roasted cauliflower we discussed a couple of days ago. It doesn't taste exactly like broccoli but it's similar, with a milder taste, actually, so I think there is a good chance you might like it. And roasted veggies in general are so good.

Hairballz
01-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Ugh, even the sight of cauliflower makes me ill. I know, I have the attitude toward vegetables of a 6-year old and I'm past 50! Too late to change. :)

Hairballz
01-27-2013, 01:14 PM
12.4 in 3 weeks is AWESOME!! Congrats, April!

April Snow
01-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks Hairballz!

I also used to be a pretty extreme veggie hater, but I feel fortunate that starting in my 40s (I'm 50 now), I started to like many more of them.

PinkWaterfall
01-28-2013, 04:43 AM
12.4 is a great loss!!!

I LOVE veggies! I never had a problem with eating raw veggies... my mother would be cutting them up and I'd steal them when I was a kid - but I hated a lot of them cooked!! I eased myself in to some of them by only lightly cooking them - but still there are many I won't touch cooked. My tip: eat raw veggies!

domesticbliss
01-29-2013, 12:06 AM
well no loss for week 2, I am completely stumped.
100% on plan, did have my TOM at the end of the week, but still frustrated.
I'm sticking with the plan, assuming the weight will come off eventually.

PinkWaterfall
01-29-2013, 05:07 AM
Stick with it!! TOM and its effects are evil... it took me until I was a few days over it then I dropped a 1lb in two days... you are probably just retaining a bit of water.

April Snow
01-29-2013, 08:39 AM
I agree, you can't underestimate the effects of TOM. Just make sure to drink lots of water to help get rid of any bloat and see what happens next week.

April Snow
01-29-2013, 08:52 AM
As for me, I'm now officially addicted to those muffins in a mug that I posted about. I picked up some powdered ginger from the spice store (had some in the cabinet but in comparison to this new stuff, it might as well be dust! lol!) and made a gingerbread muffin.

I am also thinking I could make a savory one to have with chicken - almost like stuffing. The only problem is that I do need to have oatbran in the mornings, I find that I feel really blah and draggy otherwise. So I can't have an extra 2 tbs every day, sadly. :)

Hairballz
01-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Oh domestic, I am SOOOO happy you posted, I am having the same struggle Week Two! The only thing I can figure is some ham I had, I'd read that it was allowable but I think the salt content just doesn't agree with me. I have been DEDICATED, so it's very frustrating, but I do know others (and the book) have said to just soldier on and it will all come out in the wash, so to speak. I'm also menopausal, so I'm sure that's coming into play here, too, even the book said this is a particular challenge - though not an insurmountable one - for menopausal women.

HANG IN THERE WITH ME!

April Snow
01-29-2013, 10:27 AM
I love ham and I do eat some of it doing Dukan but I do see the effects on the scale. Again, just keep drinking plenty of water, and that will help flush out your system. I even get the low salt ham (Boarshead) and it's better but I still see the impact. But it's just short term, and underneath the salt, the weight does still come off.

SimoNewMe
01-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi!

I am new to the forum and on day 7 of the Dukan Attack phase. Tomorrom I'm going to start with the P+V phase!

Even though there are no quantities in this diet I wonder if I am eating too much... I mean: how much do you eat every day???

Two day ago I ate for dinner 500g of extra lean minced beef in meatballs!!!

April Snow
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Welcome SimoNewMe!!

While 500 g of meatballs is a lot, it's not really all that many calories (between 500-600) when that is all you are eating for dinner - no potatoes or pasta or additional fat really cut down the calories in comparison to if you were eating a large portion of meat plus the rest of it.

Also, I find that the longer I'm on Dukan, my appetite tends to go down. I input my food into Fitday - not because I'm counting calories, but I still like to journal it. I right around 1000 but there are days where I'm full on less than that. You may start to experience the same thing.

April Snow
01-29-2013, 05:20 PM
I saw this post http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/274309-seaweed-snacks-anyone.html

I checked and seaweed is allowed on PV days

PinkWaterfall
01-30-2013, 05:24 PM
ARGH! I put on 3lbs in 1 day!! This obviously is water weight... unless I munched on a few thousand calories while I was a sleep... where did you come from water weight!? Go away... shoooooo!

There is nothing specific I ate which I can even think of "oh, maybe it was that?". Has anyone else found they had random water weight creep in then magically vanish on this diet?

April Snow
01-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Pink - yes, I almost always see an increase on my PV days. That's partly why I have them all in a row, to get that water weight over with! lol! Then I get my end of the week whoosh just in time for my WI.

I also do the 3-4 PV days in a row because it's easier for me to cook that way - I can roast a big batch of veggies at once and then enjoy them over a few days. I find that easier to keep up with than cooking them fresh every other day.

You could try a couple of PP days in a row and you should be able to kiss that water weight bye-bye! :)

PinkWaterfall
01-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Yesterday was a PP day so I did notice some of the water weight went away this morning... I'm going to do as you suggest and stick in a few more PP days... thanks for the suggestion :)

PS... Happy February!! Is anyone making any February goals?

April Snow
01-31-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm going to do a WI tomorrow for Feb 1 and then figure out a goal from there. Definitely into the 230s, just how far will depend on where I start! :)

Tonight I am enjoying a yummy muffin in a mug. I let it sit for several minutes before cooking and the texture was great. Tonight was just cinnamon and vanilla, like a gallette. I have to still figure out the chocolate one - for some reason, that one keeps overflowing when I cook it!

Tonight was a "force myself to eat" time. I didn't actually feel hungry, but when I put all my food in Fitday, it was only 600 calories - that was AFTER eating supper! So definitely a good day to add in a treat. Between the egg and the extra oatbran, it's about 200 calories. Not that I am counting calories exactly, but I find that I can sometimes get too low, and not really be hungry but not feel great. So tracking in Fitday helps me spot that before I get to the not feeling great part.

PinkWaterfall
02-01-2013, 01:35 AM
I can sympothise with those "force myself to eat" times... I hate cooking so I'll usually just grab some yogurt. Your muffin in a mug sounds pretty good though!!!!

My February goal is not so much a weight goal as it is a to-do-goal... I want to use my trampoline (one of those mini indoor ones) for at least 30 minutes every day... increasing by 10 minutes each week until I'm doing it for an hour every day.

mottainai
02-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Hi to everyone!

I'm planning on starting the Dukan Diet. Just read the book, and it sounds very interesting, thought I'd give it a shot!
Going to be starting on the first phase tomorrow, shooting for 5 days.
Glad to see there're others doing it as well here!

PinkWaterfall
02-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Good Luck, Mottainai!

Glad to see the number of Dukaners increasing! The more the merrier!! \o/

domesticbliss
02-02-2013, 02:31 AM
I have decided to weigh myself once a week instead of everyday... does the exercise really speed up the results or is it just for health?

PinkWaterfall
02-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Dukan says that the walking is non-negotiable...

I easily get 30 minutes of walking in a day with getting and from work... am now doing extra with trampolining.

If you burn for example 150 calories for a 30 minute walk... then thats 1050 calories a week... it takes 3500 burnt calories to lose a lb... so thats 1 lb every 3 or so weeks.... so thats 15lbs a year...

BUT... you are also building muscle mass... which burns more calories throughout the day than not having it... so you will work off more calories by doing the things you normally do. (Which is why some people do weight training even if they are trying to lose weight - including me).

On the Dukan Diet we're eating a lot of protein - which is great for building muscle!

Exercise also increases your metabolic rate... so if you eat shortly after your work out - you'll burn more calories of that meal off (I dunno if thats true... I've read it online a few times...). But the protein you eat after a workout will help to repair your muscles...

I would say just go ahead with the walk and get it over with. 30 minutes isn't so bad... 15 minutes to one place and back again...
I'm sure you'll feel better for it in the long run.

April Snow
02-02-2013, 11:18 AM
welcome Mottainai! Good luck with the Attack phase!

domesticbliss, I find that exercise definitely speeds up weight loss. Last time, I did a month of committing to 30 days straight of working out and I can't remember the exact numbers but I know I lost several more lbs that month than usual. Plus aside from health benefits, it helps your body get more toned and look better.

April Snow
02-03-2013, 04:31 PM
hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Today is Superbowl Sunday, which is always a time for a big party and lots of snacks. I'm enjoying a PV day with some delicious things and staying completely on plan. It's good proof to myself that I do NOT need to feel deprived at all on this plan!

Electro
02-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Well, newby to the forum, I've been on Dukan since October and still going strong, with a way to go yet. I will try to add my ticker when I get a chance. It's been a great diet with only a couple of , shall we call them blips, on the way. I've also been working on my mindset regarding food as that seems to be what gets me into trouble to begin with, lol! While it's great to have a solution to my weight problem I think I would prefer to stop having the problems ocurr.

It's been good to meet you all through your posts, hopefully talk to you soon

PinkWaterfall
02-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Welcome to the forum, Electro!!!

Glad to hear you've kept on the Dukan Wagon (mostly)!!
A diet wouldn't be a diet without a few blips on the way ;)

Allimac1
02-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Hi everyone, back from my ski trip and trying to get back into Dukan ... I'm afraid I wasn't a good girl while I was away but to be honest I knew I wouldn't be! I was afraid to weigh myself this morning but I don't think I put on much weight, we skiied loads so there was loads of carlorie burning going on as well ....

I like the sound of those muffins .... will give those a try.

Looking forward to catching up with you all.

:)

April Snow
02-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Welcome Electro! And how great that you are several months in and doing so well! You have to have 20 posts to get a ticker - but it will be fun when you get it because you have so much progress to show alread!
had yummy yummy vegies yesterday along with protein. Never in my life have I wanted and enjoyed vegies so much!

Isn't it funny how much this plan makes you really appreciate veggies? I think that's a really positive life change, because it's so healthy. Esp. this second time, I've really been inspired to eat additional veggies and find new ways of cooking them. Yesterday for the Superbowl party I went to, I made kale chips and these zucchini bites (I used oat bran in place of the bread crumbs in the recipe)

http://thetwobiteclub.blogspot.com/2012/04/zucchini-tots.html

Having something like those as a side dish means I don't miss having a starch at all, and is definitely a way I can happily eat for life. I know that eventually we can add back some stuff, but I know that having a lot of PV days will be what keeps the weight off over time and when I can have veggie-rich meals I truly enjoy, it doesn't seem like a hardship to do that.

April Snow
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
oh, we cross posted - welcome back Allimac! I'm glad the trip was fun!! Depending on how you feel and what the scale says, you could try Attack for a few days to get back on track. But will all that skiiing, you may not even need to! Even before Dukan, I often found that I was ok on the scale after vacations because of so much extra activity!

Hairballz
02-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Hey All, crazy busy week at work, welcome to the other newbies here!

Just wanted to post regarding those irritating apparent weight "gains" that happen. I was lamenting one a week or so ago that made me want to just give up, but I didn't, and today the scale did that strange "whoosh" thing where it finally caught up with the weight loss I knew was happening but was being disguised temporarily.

Key word - TEMPORARY. So stay the course fellow Dukaners.

BTW, I belong to another site that has a really great post I refer to from time to time about "Why the Scale can Lie." It's great. I can't post the link yet (not enough posts by me, forum rules?) so just google "Active Low Carber Forum" + "Why the Scale Can Lie". Read the first page of the post - it's a keeper.

PinkWaterfall
02-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Thank you, Hairballz!

That was a really interesting read!! I do weigh every day so that article really makes sense.

April Snow
02-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Pink - congrats on your ticker. It shows off that you are halfway to goal, that's great!!!

PinkWaterfall
02-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Thank you!

Come tomorrow, I'll be half way through the "official" Cruise Phase, too!
I'll over shoot it I think (I can't hit over 2lb loss a week)... but can't complain with this diet at all!

April Snow
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
It's been a quiet week on here - how is everyone doing?

I wobbled a bit midweek, and yes, succumbed to a few Thin Mints. But I stopped and turned it around and back on track now. I'm not sure if it is those or TOM, but the scale isn't my friend at the moment. Hoping to show at least a little bit of a loss for my Sunday WI but I'm not positive that will happen. But I am sure that if I keep going, it will happen, so that's what I"m doing!

PinkWaterfall
02-08-2013, 07:04 PM
It's going to be a bad week for me too... my weight has been up and down all week... and today I'm meeting an old friend who's in town this weekend I haven't seen for two years... Dukan-unfriendly food and maybe even a glass or two of wine in store... :D

April Snow
02-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Have fun Pink!!

The last time, I was so worried about staying on plan, it kind of took over my life. It's funny because I didn't even really feel like I was burned out when I stopped, but I must have been, to stop and stay stopped for over a year,

This time, I'm trying find the right balance and while I am still aiming for staying on plan all the time, I'm not freaking out about it in the same way. when I have a reasonable option to stay on plan, I am, but when there are circumstances where it's not reasonable, then I'm going to just go with it. Like tomorrow - we're going out to a place that has a salad bar, so I can have that. But I've decided that even if there isn't something on plan, I'm going to keep living my life.

The whole point of losing this weight is to live a healthier and better life. So I'm not going to let my diet diminish my life while I'm losing.

domesticbliss
02-08-2013, 10:24 PM
so the scale hasn't been kind to me these past couple of weeks, I think I am averaging a 1lb loss a week, which is far below what the Dukan site estimated for me... I'm not sure I'm going to hit my goal in the time frame they specified.
The scale not showing losses is really frustrating because I can see the changes in my body, I have definitely lost inches, quite a few... and if I'm losing inches, why isn't that translating to the scale?

On the bright side, I found a pretty good replacement for a rootbeer float that *hopefully* will calm my raging sweet tooth.
Diet Mug Rootbeer (I tried Barq's and A&W and they don't taste as good)
Sugar Free Coffee Mate French Vanilla Creamer (it has no sugar and 1g fat, but it's worth it to me)
Pour your rootbeer in a glass with some ice if desired, add a Tbsp of the creamer and revel in delight!

domesticbliss
02-08-2013, 10:31 PM
I also found an amazing 0 fat ice cream... its made with whey protein, here's the nutritional breakdown
1/2 C = 37 calories, 0g Fat, 6g Carbs, 2g Fiber, 5g Sugar, 3.4g Protein

They have chocolate, vanilla, cookies & cream, coffee, mint chocolate cookie, and strawberry.

I didn't care for the spoonful of chocolate I had, but the coffee is good, the flavor isn't as full as regular ice cream, but if you really need a treat in a pinch, I don't think this would set you back diet wise.

April Snow
02-10-2013, 03:15 PM
No movement on the scale for the week. :( A little frustrating because aside from that one small midweek blip, I have been on plan. And yesterday, we went out to a pizza restaurant and I had salad!

Hoping that I see a whoosh after my next set of PP days, though.

Allimac1
02-12-2013, 05:03 AM
Hi everyone,

It's so frustrating not to see movement on the scale but sometimes your body just doesn't want to let go of those pounds!! Hope you seeing losses in the inches department April Snow.

I am only back on track since yesterday - I took an extra week off when I came back from skiing ... and while I did enjoy eating "normally" again I didn't feel great ... very lethargic .... so I now know that carbs and sugars bring me down physically and emotionally.

I am now on Attack phase again and will stay on this until the weekend.

Take care

Cat86
02-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Hi everyone, I hope you dont mind me jumping in on here but I was just wondering if there is anyone on here who is on the final phase? I reached my true weight back in October and am now at the stage of just having one protein day a week. Im just so stumped about what's happening... I am literally back to the way I ate before I started the diet, possibly with slightly less carbs, drinking beer, eating pretty much whatever I like, and I literally haven't put on ONE POUND. Absolutely nothing. My weight has literally stuck at 124.6 since November. I know this is what is supposed to happen, but I really can't get my head around it. With past diets, as soon as I go back to "normal" eating, my weight is right back up within a month or so.
Has anyone else reached this phase and found the lack of weight gain difficult to comprehend?!

April Snow
02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone,

It's so frustrating not to see movement on the scale but sometimes your body just doesn't want to let go of those pounds!! Hope you seeing losses in the inches department April Snow.

I am only back on track since yesterday - I took an extra week off when I came back from skiing ... and while I did enjoy eating "normally" again I didn't feel great ... very lethargic .... so I now know that carbs and sugars bring me down physically and emotionally.

I am now on Attack phase again and will stay on this until the weekend.

Take care

Hi Allimac -

I think paying attention to how good I feel on Dukan is as big a part of it as losing the weight. And it's sneaky - I don't think I realized how bad I felt until I restarted and realized how good I felt again. Good luck on your re-Attack!!

And yes, I'm seeing a change in size, even if not on the scale. I haven't measured with a tape measure (too depressing! lol!) but I am seeing a noticeable change in how my clothes fit, and getting back into things that were too small. I'm doing an extra WI on Thursday for a challenge, so hoping to see some movement on the scale by then!

April Snow
02-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone, I hope you dont mind me jumping in on here but I was just wondering if there is anyone on here who is on the final phase? I reached my true weight back in October and am now at the stage of just having one protein day a week. Im just so stumped about what's happening... I am literally back to the way I ate before I started the diet, possibly with slightly less carbs, drinking beer, eating pretty much whatever I like, and I literally haven't put on ONE POUND. Absolutely nothing. My weight has literally stuck at 124.6 since November. I know this is what is supposed to happen, but I really can't get my head around it. With past diets, as soon as I go back to "normal" eating, my weight is right back up within a month or so.
Has anyone else reached this phase and found the lack of weight gain difficult to comprehend?!

Hi Cat and welcome!!

Unfortunately, I've never made it to Conso, let alone Stabilization! So no personal experience on that. But that's very exciting to hear how well it's working for you!

Are you still having the oat bran every day and doing one PP day per week?

classykaren
02-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Now that is wonderful news I loved this diet when I was on it. I could not switch back to all protein days after being on protein and vegetables. But after reading your news I am tempted to go back. Thank You

Sxd1976
02-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Hello all. I have started my first day of attack today!
Done ok I think. Have drunk so much water have been rushing to the loo every 10 mins!
Eaten natural yogurt with oatbran, chicken for a snack and a heap of prawns for lunch. Just about to have chicken thighs for dinner.
Just one question, am finding it all a bit dry...when I was on Atkins I used mayo liberally but obviously can't do that on this! Any suggestions would be really helpful!
Just want to say I have read through all 3 of these threads and u are all so motivating! U made me decide this was the way forward xx

April Snow
02-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi Karen and Sxd1976!!

Just one question, am finding it all a bit dry...when I was on Atkins I used mayo liberally but obviously can't do that on this! Any suggestions would be really helpful!

I use Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise, with whatever added seasonings you like.

pomelo
02-13-2013, 03:51 AM
It's so good to see all these encouraging comments!! A note about "crunchy" foods: I just discovered a way to make basically a cheesy cracker in the microwave. Take a small sheet of parchment paper. Sprinkle 1/4 cup fat free shredded cheese (I prefer cheddar) on the parchment. Sprinkle with black pepper and a pinch of salt. You can also garnish with a tiny bit of parm or herbs, garlic etc. if you choose (optional). Microwave on high for one minute and fifteen seconds. It's seriously one of my favorite snacks. It's a nice way to incorporate texture.

I've stalled a bit in weight loss, but I've lost about 20 pounds in 5 weeks on Dukan, so I am happy. The weeks when there is little to no weight loss are the hardest! On the plus side, I find I'm not hungry very much. Dukan hhas definitely been the most do-able diet plan for me yet!

Sxd1976
02-13-2013, 04:04 AM
Will try Greek yogurt, that is a brill idea! Thanks very much. :)

weighed myself this morning and exactly the same as yesterday. Will say though that I think i lost a fair amount of my water weight when i was doing calorie counting.... will not let it discourage me, just had my yogurt and bran, so yummy! bit tired today but that is to be expected with this for the first couple of days.
hope everyone has a good day :)

Sxd1976
02-13-2013, 04:08 AM
It's so good to see all these encouraging comments!! A note about "crunchy" foods: I just discovered a way to make basically a cheesy cracker in the microwave. Take a small sheet of parchment paper. Sprinkle 1/4 cup fat free shredded cheese (I prefer cheddar) on the parchment. Sprinkle with black pepper and a pinch of salt. You can also garnish with a tiny bit of parm or herbs, garlic etc. if you choose (optional). Microwave on high for one minute and fifteen seconds. It's seriously one of my favorite snacks. It's a nice way to incorporate texture.

This sounds really good! Will have to try when i get to cruise!:)

Sxd1976
02-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Well day 2 went well. Had yogurt and oatbran for breakfast, chicken thighs for lunch and white Gish for dinner. Just woke up and still not lost anything!! What am I doing wrong? Drinking around 1.5 litres of water, plus tea and coffee. But stumped to be honest. Only thing I can think is I'm having too many sweeteners so I'm going to cut back today. Hopefully that will help!
Hope everyone else is ok xx

PinkWaterfall
02-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Yay new peeps!! Welcome!

Newbies, please ignore my rant ;)

My body is crazzzzyyyyy!!! So I broke the diet on Saturday because my friend was in town - had carbs and chocolate - I guess I had around 3000 (max) calories... and I continued to break the diet with chocolate and carbs on Sunday and Monday too (it was a 3-day holiday weekend here in Japan)... but I think Sunday was probably 2000 (max) calories and Monday was worse with about 4000 (max) calories... Tuesday I weighed in with a gain of 6lbs (half of what I've lost)!!! D: I imagine I would of gained a little bit... and especially water weight since I had carbs... but I've done PP for 3 days and still my weight hasn't changed!! (I've worked out every single day, too!)

Stooopid body!!!! I'm going back to the 1-1 PP and PV tomorrow and sticking to it religiously... but it's really annoying to think I caved for 3 days and gained 6lbs back! D: (when mathematically that just isn't supposed to be possible!!)

Sxd1976
02-14-2013, 09:00 AM
i'm just not hungry at all today, forcing myself to eat some chicken, maybe i'm not eating enough?
Any help appreciated!

April Snow
02-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Well day 2 went well. Had yogurt and oatbran for breakfast, chicken thighs for lunch and white Gish for dinner. Just woke up and still not lost anything!! What am I doing wrong? Drinking around 1.5 litres of water, plus tea and coffee. But stumped to be honest. Only thing I can think is I'm having too many sweeteners so I'm going to cut back today. Hopefully that will help!
Hope everyone else is ok xx

It's unusual to not show a loss in Attack but I will say that mine took a few days to start showing up. Sounds like you are doing everything right, so try to hang in there a little while longer and see what happens. Maybe a little but more water - 1.5 liters isn't that much for Dukan, I'd try to aim for 2 liters plus whatever extra from tea, etc. And yes, depending on the sweeteners, that could stall.

Good luck!

April Snow
02-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Pink -

It's not really the calories, it's that the off plan foods have let your body re-built up all the water/glycogen stores in your body. It should start to come off, but I have to say that even from my minor little blip last week (just 5 girl scout cookies), it's taken a really long time to start seeing the weight come back off. I thought for sure I'd have a big whoosh but nope, just finally down about 1/2 lb.

So it may just take a while for all the water to work its way back out and for you to start seeing the loss again.