Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #1  
Joined IP 6/11/12

S/C/G: 260/170/175

Height: 5'8"

Default IP Week 4. Dropped out of Ketosis or just barely "in" Ketosis! What's up?

I got some ketostix over the weekend to check for my ketosis status and lo and behold, I didn't have any ketones. didn't have any glucose, either, but was puzzled. then had a not so stellar 3rd week weigh in. Now the stix are reading "small" ketones.

I am following the plan to the letter, so why am I not more in ketosis. I lost 12+ week 1, 4.5 week 2 and around 3 week 3. And this week the scale is struggling to move. Anyone got an idea what's going on?
Thanks!! Ken

Last edited by ChileheadKen; 07-05-2012 at 01:20 AM.
ChileheadKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Your body is more then likely playing catch up with all the weight you have lost so far, it needs to adjust. Also, if i were you, i would throw out the ketostix..they dont do you much good on this diet, especially if you are consuming a lot of water as suggested to do so on the diet...If you are testing any time after the morning when you first wake up, you will have innacurate results...You need to do it right when you first wake up and pee if you want the best result..but as i said..you really dont need them for this diet..If you work the diet, the diet will work..and sometimes the scale wont move for whatever reason..but dont worry...follow the diet and it will move again!!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #3  
Joined IP 6/11/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
Your body is more then likely playing catch up with all the weight you have lost so far, it needs to adjust. Also, if i were you, i would throw out the ketostix..they dont do you much good on this diet, especially if you are consuming a lot of water as suggested to do so on the diet...If you are testing any time after the morning when you first wake up, you will have innacurate results...You need to do it right when you first wake up and pee if you want the best result..but as i said..you really dont need them for this diet..If you work the diet, the diet will work..and sometimes the scale wont move for whatever reason..but dont worry...follow the diet and it will move again!!
Thanks, porthardygurlI I needed the pep talk! haha I am drinking a gallon or more water a day and barely making 800 calories and under 40 grams of carbs on average. I appreciate the insight and encouragement. At 54, this isn't coming easy, but it's coming. And I'm ready to rediscover the healthy, thin man that existed until 21 years ago.
Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #4  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileheadKen View Post
I got some ketostix over the weekend to check for my ketosis status and lo and behold, I didn't have any ketones. didn't have any glucose, either, but was puzzled. then had a not so stellar 3rd week weigh in. Now the stix are reading "small" ketones.

I am following the plan to the letter, so why am I not more in ketosis. I lost 12+ week 1, 4.5 week 2 and around 3 week 3. And this week the scale is struggling to move. Anyone got an idea what's going on?
Thanks!! Ken
Honestly that sounds very normal. My advice, throw the sticks in the garbage, super unreliable for many reasons. If you are following the plan you are in ketosis. I always give the same advice. If the sticks were 100% accurate and you were actually OUT of ketosis, what would you do? How would you fix it? Simple, you would follow the plan, which would put you back into ketosis. Follow the plan, and you have nothing to worry about. 2 weeks ago i lost only 1#, last weigh in i was up that pound for a 2 week total of zero. I WI tomorrow, but on my home scale im down 6#. It will be week 8 for me tomorrow so 35# in 7 weeks still puts me at 5# a week. You have to remember that you first 2 weeks will be your biggest losses, you wont do that every week. I am just past your stage but was convinced the diet quit working. Your body needs a chance to catch up. You may have a zero loss or low loss and that is normal.

Throw the sticks in the garbage, follow the plan and all will be fine.
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 205.6/145.2/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

Thanks!! Ken
You are in ketosis if you are showing key tones. The range of colors doesn't matter...just that you do register key tones. The way it was put to me is that you can't be a little bit in ketosis...you either are or you aren't. Just like you can't be a little bit pregnant...you either are or you aren't. Best advise ever...just follow the sheet and don't stress over the ketostix.
Meadow Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Quote:
Thanks, porthardygurlI I needed the pep talk! haha I am drinking a gallon or more water a day and barely making 800 calories and under 40 grams of carbs on average. I appreciate the insight and encouragement. At 54, this isn't coming easy, but it's coming. And I'm ready to rediscover the healthy, thin man that existed until 21 years ago.
Thanks again!
Are supposed to be under 30 carbs/day for phase 1? Anyone know for sure?
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #7  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Dont worry about Carb counts on the diet..If you follow the protocol sheet and do what it says you will be just fine!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #8  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

I have Ketostix too, I almost always test "trace', occassionally "small".

I am 100% OP and drink about 20 glasses or more of water.

I've taken the attitude not to sweat it. I've red info hee and elsewhere that over time the yix will register less and less.

I still test now and then for kicks, but trust he way I feel and the way my clothes are getting looser.
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #9  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
Are supposed to be under 30 carbs/day for phase 1? Anyone know for sure?
I recall those clinic videos that I found a few months ago showed the Dr. talking about the net carb range being 20-40.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #10  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

I've never used those sticks... If you follow protocol you'll have no issues.... There is always a catch up period between 4/6th week.
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyMae87 View Post
I've never used those sticks... If you follow protocol you'll have no issues.... There is always a catch up period between 4/6th week.
HOLY JELLY! You look awesome

Last edited by Bellamack; 07-05-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spell
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #12  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow Wheeler View Post
You are in ketosis if you are showing key tones. The range of colors doesn't matter...just that you do register key tones. The way it was put to me is that you can't be a little bit in ketosis...you either are or you aren't. Just like you can't be a little bit pregnant...you either are or you aren't. Best advise ever...just follow the sheet and don't stress over the ketostix.
WOW HOTTTTT MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you look GORGEOUS in your little black dress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #13  
Joined IP 6/11/12

Talking Many thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Thanks to all for the advice and words of wisdom! My new challenge is heading to Mexico tomorrow for a week long mission trip and staying on plan! But...food is packed, attitude is good, and I can always buy bottled water and canned veggies (another good 3FC suggestion for me)!!!
Committed and just a bit waterlogged,
Ken
Old 07-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #14  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Thanks to all for the advice and words of wisdom! My new challenge is heading to Mexico tomorrow for a week long mission trip and staying on plan! But...food is packed, attitude is good, and I can always buy bottled water and canned veggies (another good 3FC suggestion for me)!!!
Committed and just a bit waterlogged,
Ken
Have a great trip Ken!
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #15  
Joined IP 6/11/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy View Post
Have a great trip Ken!
Thanks, Longhorn!! I'm sure we will!!! Have a great weekend!!