40-Somethings - 40-Somethings July 2012 Chat

View Full Version : 40-Somethings July 2012 Chat

guacamole
07-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Figured I would start a new place for us to chat and continue our goals. I think some of us found a thread called a "challenge" to be too challenging. I know that I struggled with the last challenge. I still want to stay focused and on-track, but I don't only want to focus on a scale goal. I also want to just have a place to check in daily on my progress. What do you all say?

My goals for the rest of July are -

-Drink at least 8 cups of water per day
-Exercise at least 30 minutes 5-6 times per week
-Take my vitamins daily
-Keep my calories between 10,500-11,000 per week
-Don't give up!

guacamole
07-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Still staying on track with my exercise, even in the heat. TOM is really dragging me down, and the truth is, I just feel like laying down under a fan with a cold washcloth on my forehead! However, I am dressed to go for a bike ride and my husband is coming with me this morning, so off I go!

Good luck today!

NEMom
07-06-2012, 01:47 PM
I am so glad to see this thread Guac. I am really struggeling to stay on track with my food plan. The number I saw on the scale this morning brought tears to my eyes. I never thought I would see that number again. I need to get off this downward sprial of self descrution.

This week, I will keep my calories between 1,300-1,400.
I will exercise at least 5 times
I will drink more water
I will stay inside. It's suppose to be 108 here today.

guacamole
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
NEMom - ((hugs)) So glad you are here! We can do this! I have been feeling rather hopeless myself - but I am feeling better this week just by taking action and doing and trusting that eventually the scale will cooperate. It's tough, I know. The temperature in my car read 105 degrees! I did my biking in the morning - 4 miles. It was in the 90s. I felt really shaky afterwards. I am lying in bed under my fan at the moment - a well deserved rest after biking and running errands with husband! Good luck today!

cbigsis
07-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks for starting the thread guac! And great job on getting that bike ride in! Its so hot here too I have been exercising in my basement to not overheat.

I feel like I did not do well at all with my 4th of July challenge. I drank lots more water and did well with exercise but my food is all over the place. 2-3 days on plan 2-3 days off. Back and forth and its getting me nowhere fast. I keep working on the same 3 lbs all the time.

So I think my goals for this month have more to do with being able to deal with all the eating out and different celebrations that seem to come with every single weekend. I do feel like I want to let myself enjoy all these fun things but I need to not let myself have a free for all either. Its not happening all the time but way more than it should. So I feel like if I can be maintaining my weight eating all the crap that I have been it really should not be that hard to lose some if I got that under control.

my goals are:

-Cut out the alcohol. should be easy because I don't really care that much about it anyway.
-pack up at least half my food when eating out right away so I'm not tempted to eat more just because it tastes so good and is right in front of me.
-stick to the fresh fruit and veggie platters and only allow one small plate at all these bbq's. I did great at the family reunion so I want to repeat that feeling of accomplishment!
-Keep up the good work on drinking water and exercise

Let's all have a fun and healthy month! :carrot:

guacamole
07-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I keep working on the same 3 lbs all the time.

So I think my goals for this month have more to do with being able to deal with all the eating out and different celebrations that seem to come with every single weekend. I do feel like I want to let myself enjoy all these fun things but I need to not let myself have a free for all either.

This is my life in a nutshell right now! It's getting so that I dread the celebrations because of the dieting temptations - but I know that's not a healthy attitude. I just need to learn how to control my portions better and make better selections. Ahhh....it's all good. I'll be looking back at this time come January, when it's freezing and everyone stays indoors and no holidays to look forward to, and miss all the summer fun! I'm going to enjoy all this while I can and not let a few pounds get me down.

Sheila22
07-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Hello all!

I just joined, and posted my profile in the 40-something profile thread. Bottom line, I flipped my switch from "want" to "will" on April 2nd after hitting a high of 183 pounds - I was motivated by a family vacation that we just returned from to lose 30 of the 55 pounds I want to lose and I'm proud to say I did it!!! :carrot: - went from a size 14 to a 10/8

Now that our vacation is over, I'm finding it hard to feel as committed. I underestimated what a motivator it was! For the last three months I ate only fish, veggies, fruit and drank zero liquid calories (gave up my beloved wine). I feel SO much better already - more energy, I look forward to getting dressed in the morning! And I know my natural and ideal healthy weight is around 128 (plus or minus 5 pounds).

So I know I need to lose this weight - and that I CAN lose it! I just need to stay focused. Also, other than adding back some wine on weekends and some healthy whole grains, this is the lifestyle I am very comfortable living.

When I went on vacation I stayed completely disciplined with exercise and food intake, but enjoyed wine in the evenings with my Mom. ;) I planned for it, but now have this feeling now that I'm back and it's Friday night that I'm "deprived" of it. I have to keep reminding myself that I am CHOOSING not to drink, because I'm prioritizing my weight loss over the short-term pleasure of drinking my Friday night wine!

Doesn't make it much easier on my first night back though. :(

But I know that it will only take a few days of "discomfort" without that evening wine and I'll be fine...

I saw that some of you are also cutting the liquid doughnuts! I had to get really creative and find a variety of zero-calorie substitutes. By far, my favorite is fresh lemonade - I bought a lemon juicer (XOXO brand) that fits over the top of a large tumbler, and fill the tumbler 1/2 way with ice, juice one lemon in it, add a pack of Truvia and water and I'm all set! (it's great for this HOT weather too!!). I go through BAGS of lemons. Lol. I also occasionally add mint leaves, raspberries, etc... Gives me that citrus taste that I miss from the wine!

I also do flavored Keurig coffee (which have little to no calories), various herbal teas (I carry them in my purse), sparkling water with lime or lemon, and unsweetened iced tea (you could add a pack of Truvia if you prefer sweet tea).

I'm also completely addicted to fruit in the evenings after dinner - right now it's cherries, but I'm sure before I call it a day I'll have my cup of frozen blackberries - - feels like I'm having ice-cream! :-)

I'm looking forward to participating in this thread!

My July goals:

1. No liquid calories
2. No pasta, potatoes, bread or rice
3. Fish, veggie burgers (and other veggie substitutes) veggies and fruit will be my diet
4. Exercise 5 times a week for 30 minutes minimum each workout.

I'm glad I have this thread to help keep me motivated and on track and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Sheila

Sheila22
07-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Hello All,

Well, I weighed in this morning at 149.5 !!! WOO HOO!!! :carrot:

I have one of those Dr's Scales, and I've had the big weight on 150 for SOOO long! It felt good to move it to the 100 mark to start moving that top bar down from 150 pounds!

In celebration of moving into the "140s", I took my daughter to the mall - this time not to shop for HER (although she did get a couple of things ;) ), but to buy myself some new dress pants for work! SIZE 8 !! :) I am SOOO thrilled - it was definitely the motivation I needed to keep going - I know I will feel so good in my clothes next week. :-) Bought three pairs - black, tan and grey....so I'm all set (at least for another month ;) ). Having said that, I also got two $25 certificates with my purchase that become active August 1st - so I already have $50 off my size 6 pants! :) - - my goal is to be able to USE those certificates before they expire!!!

Today I had four veggie sausages with a slice of rice cheese for "brunch" around 11am (400 calories) - - dinner will be 7 oz of Herb Grilled Salmon over greens with a sesame tahini dressing (which I will put on the side and just dip my fork)...that will be about 600 calories, so I might split the salmon salad into two servings and have one later this afternoon and then the other half around 6:30 or 7pm.

I really want to workout, but it is SOOO HOT outside! Another 100 degree day - - I need to set up my treadmill again - had my spare bedroom carpeted and just haven't gotten around to putting it back into place and plugging it in! I envy all of my neighbors who have swimming pools today!

Anyway - off to make lemonade!

Sheila

KelStand
07-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I love this thread, Guacamole! I was definately one who didn't fair well on meeting all my goals in the challenges....especially the weight goal!
I am going to steal one of your goals, Guac....'cause I love it!

Goals:
1. Don't give up!!!
2. Excelrcise 5 days a week....Zumba, weights....maybe add yoga & swimming.
3. Drink lots of water.
4. Eat small portions.

princessbgirl
07-09-2012, 06:23 AM
As much as I love having DH home w me, and as much as I liked that we had a holiday day-off last week, I am so glad he is headed into work for the entire week.

Strange how life cycles work - last month, I got married for the first time to the most wonderful man on earth. Today, I am making brownies today for the wake of a friend's father - he had been very ill. Next weekend, I will head to my hometown to help my elderly, yet still ornery, parents.

My focus for this week is drinking water, exercising and writing down everything I eat! Have a great Monday.

Simi
07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Hey there! I new to the forums, but not new to dieting. DH & I have made a commitment to each other that this is the last one as we are undergoing life-style change and not a diet. :)

My goals for July:

* Drink ~100 oz of water a day
* Exercise at least 5x/week (walking, yoga, body pump, aerobics tapes)
* Prepare a wide variety of veggies for snacks & for taking to work
* Keep a food diary
* Take my supplements
* Not eat out the rest of the month.

guacamole
07-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Hello wonderful ladies! So glad to see old and new faces on here. I rode my bike for 4 miles and stayed within my calorie range today. Life has been really hectic and I haven't had much time for posting here or dwelling too much on food or cravings. So the first thing isn't great but the last things are! I guess I am just moving along. I weighed in at 152 this morning - so no major changes either way. At least I am maintaining. I had to visit my husband at work today, and one of the ladies he works with asked loudly "What did you do with the rest of you?!" She also asked if my husband was starving me. Honestly, I didn't know what to say to either remark, so I just smiled. When I left she told me to keep up the good work. Also, a well meaning friend sent my husband a letter today, saying that he and his wife saw me when they were in town and that I looked great, and they know that soon my husband will also look great when he loses the weight. He meant well, but I really don't know if letters like that are helpful. People don't need a "wake-up call" to the fact that they are overweight. We live with it every day. I also hope that my husband doesn't feel resentful of me.

Good luck, everyone!

NEMom
07-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Good job maintaining Guac. That alone is a major accomplishment.

Sheila22 - Glad your scale moved! Good job!!!

Simi - Welcome!!!

princessbgirl -You sound really busy! Good job staying on track with everything going on in your life.

I have to say that since I saw 165 on my scale last week, a number that I thought I would NEVER see again, I am finally, finally starting to get my food back on track. I have not been 100% perfect but it has been so much better these last 5 days. Today I was back down to 162.6 still over my original goal and too high but at least I am making a little progress.
The weather has been slightly cooler the last couple of days, down to the 90's but is suppose to be over 100 by the weekend again. Ugh, the heat kills me.

guacamole
07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
NEMom - Great job on getting on track and seeing the scale go down. I am so glad that you are posting here and updating all of us.

I went for a 4.5 mile bike ride with hubby this morning. Glad that I got that off my checklist this morning. I always feel so much better when exercise is a part of my day. I weighed in at 150lbs this morning - a new low for me and a number I have not seen since 2004! In 2004 I got down to 150, then got pregnant and ballooned up to my high weight within one year. Since there are no more pregnancies on my horizon, this time I will keep going until I finally hit my goal weight! I don't know how long it will take, but I will eventually get there. Now to maintain at 150 and not gain.

Good luck, everyone!

Sheila22
07-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm still on track - walked 30 minutes tonight on the trail, and ate very light - candidly, I'm still hungry - but I think it's emotional more than anything - going through that "post-vacation" reality re-entry...tons to do at work, garden is a disaster, house is a mess...and next weekend I have to leave Sunday for a work "offsite" - - so Saturday will be spent cleaning instead of relaxing (I'm a single Mom)...

Still trying to stay motivated and finding it a bit hard - asking myself "why" I am doing this....I know why, but I'm feeling down about not having a significant other at the moment to appreciate it...so Guac - you're lucky!! :) Although I understand your concerns about resentment. When I lost all of my weight 5 years ago my friends who weren't quite at the same point on the path as I was treated me a little differently.

At any rate - I picked out my 40 pound bracelet today and hung it on my bathroom door where my "weigh-in" calendar is. I have three bracelets on my left arm - each represents a 10 pound loss. They are those simple braided thread ones with beads woven in them, but different styles and colors....just a reminder to myself of how far I've come, and my "goal bracelet" will motivate me - - so when I weigh in at 143, I'll put it on. :). Then select my 50 pound bracelet to work for! :)

Sounds a bit childish, but honestly, it works! And when I tell people why I'm wearing the bracelets they think it's really cool and a great idea - - so I thought I'd share!

Going to go down and make some decaf coffee with sugar free almond syrup - woo hoo! Then will settle down and read for awhile before bed.

Hope everyone has a great evening!

guacamole
07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Sheila22 - The bracelets are a really nice idea! Sounds like you have a pretty good routine down between work, housework, kids, and keeping on plan with weight loss efforts. I guess the grass is always greener, because sometimes it's harder to stay on plan when accounting for a significant other. In some ways, it's easier to set your own schedule, plan your own meals, and not have to worry how it will affect a spouse - or if the spouse will disagree with what you want to do and sabotage your efforts. In general, I have been pretty lucky in that my husband is generally supportive. Every once in awhile he has a slight tantrum! Lately though, he has been starting to bike with me and eat most of the foods I eat at home - so maybe it's rubbing off? Also, he knows how sick I was at my higher weights, and likes seeing me active and healthy now.

NEMom
07-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Guac - Congrats on hitting your new lowest weight!! WOOT WOOT!! That is an amazing feeling!

My day yesterday was so so food wise. I was on track at lunch and dinner but then I ate too much trail mix. Darn trail mix, I should have left it alone!
As I was sitting on my butt last night watching reruns of Pawn Stars I think I need to add some exercise of some type inot my evening routine when I have nothing else going on. Not only was I bored, which caused some of the over eating of trail mix, but I felt unproductive. Gonna try a work out video tonight.
Hope you have a wonderful evening!

Sheila22
07-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi Guac and NEMom!

My day was good today - 1200 calories, no carbs, and I interval walked/jogged on the trail tonight after dinner. NE - I used to workout in the mornings and had the exact same issue you are talking about! Not only does the exercise help me decompress from work at the end of the day, it also keeps me from sitting in front of the tube and munching (or per my old habit, having that glass or two of wine, which triggered my munching!). So it's been a really good change for me! (and also feels more like I'm taking time out for ME moreso then when I have to get up early to get my workout in).

Guac - you are definitely right about the benefits of "flying solo" on shifting lifestyle and habits - for me, it's been REALLY nice not having someone in the house drinking wine in the evenings and choosing to abstain. I don't keep any in the house now, and if I DO decide to have a glass, it's only outside of the house with a friend. I have a girlfriend who is struggling with this one. She wants to cut it out, and her hubby brings home and opens a bottle every evening...:(...and worse, because she's been losing weight she thinks he's threatened and he cooks unhealthy meals for her and then is offended if she doesn't eat them, etc...it's tough. So it's great that your hubby is trying to support you!

For me, I wish my kids would at least TRY some of the food I'm eating! But I'm trying to sneak in the good stuff when I cook for them (e.g. ground turkey instead of ground beef, whole wheat pasta, etc.)...but sometimes when I do even that, they don't eat it and open a can of Spaghettios...:dizzy:

The kids go on vacation with their Dad this weekend. Weeks without them are always harder - I leave for my work offsite on Sunday - need to figure out what to do on Saturday - - unfortunately, I've been filling the "hole" of my eating/drinking on weekends with shopping - - even rationalized that if I don't spend as much on food/drink, I can spend it on other goodies! That worked for awhile, but now it's starting to hurt my pocket! Anyway - think I'll call my girlfriend and see if she wants to meet for lunch.

Alright - time to watch "spy kids"....have a great evening!

NEMom
07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Ugh, really tired today and woke up a little hung over (I admit sheepishly). My hubby usually works third shift but he took last night off because he left on a fishing trip this morning so I said lets go up to the bar and have a couple drinks (we live in a small town, small town bar). Well a couple turned into too many while sitting in the 'beer garden' drinking and chatting with friends. Not a good thing to do on a work night. The only positive thing is drinking can lead down to a binge for me but I did not do it last night.
My 16 year old had been in Portgual (Habitat for Humanity build with his grandma) for the last 2 weeks. The went to Barcolna Spain on Monday to travel a little when the build was done but he has really homesick and was sending me messages of FB begging to come home early. He has hung in there and I have to drive to KC to pick him up today. It is a 3 hr drive for me, gonna be a long afternoon/evening in the car but I have missed him and will be glad to have him home.
Happy Friday eve! Hope you have a good one.

guacamole
07-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Sounds like you ladies are doing well and conscious of the choices you are making. If we are aware of slip ups, we can get focused again.

Sheila22 - I am all too aware of replacing one addiction with another. I too fall into the "food turned shopping" addict! I have been doing well lately, not spending money I don't have. Also, when I truly feel the urge to shop for clothes on a whim, I go to to thrift stores so at least I'm not breaking the bank.

NEMom - Sorry about the hangover! Great job not binging on food afterward. I am sure, despite the homesickness, that your son will remember this trip for the rest of his life!

I stepped on the scale to 151 this morning, courtesy of a large restaurant lunch with hubby and friends yesterday and also some chinese food for dinner last night! As always, eating off plan comes with a price. I biked 6 miles today, so I am feeling pretty powerful right now!

Good luck today, everyone!

Simi
07-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Sheila22--sorry to hear about your friend with the unsupportive husband. That has to be rough!

NEMom-- glad you're son is home. Hope he had a great experience overseas and for a good cause, too. :)

Guac-- Congrats on biking 6 miles! Surely that burned off the 1 pound gain, I hope! I wasn't aware of people trading one addiction for another. Yes, I'm a food addict, but never was much of a shopper. No idea if that will change once I hit my goal weight. hmmmm...

I've lost a pound since Monday, so I feel pretty good about my eating habits thus far. Don't feel hungry or deprived. Exercise has been going well and I hope to buy some heavier dumbbells over the weekend. Yay for muscles! If only I could see you, muscles! :)

Happy Thursday!

cbigsis
07-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Hi ladies! Sounds like you all have been doing pretty well overall this week. I weigh tomorrow and kind of nervous about it. I have not been eating horrible but not marking it down like usual so I feel like I probably ate more off plan foods than I remember. I did better than usual last weekend and I hope to do as well this weekend. It seemed that every Monday I was weighing 144 and by Friday 142. This Monday I was 143.2 and I hate to think I didn't do myself any good by eating oreos occasionally this week.....

Sheila: I LOVE the bracelet idea! Also I have the same problem trying to introduce healthier versions of their favorite foods to my kids. Let me just say turkey and whole wheat pasta chili mac did not go over well at all. Even served over chips and cheese melted on top! LOL

NEmom: Too bad about the hangover, but great that you didn't binge after! A positive change

guac: I love biking too! So much faster than running. Haha!

Simi: great job on the pound down! You will see those muscles before you know it!

Tomorrow is Friday! Woo Hoo!! Another chance to make healthy choices :carrot:

NEMom
07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Happy Friday ladies!!!

Wow everyone is doing such a great job! I am so impressed by everyones committment.

Gauc - 6 miles on a bike - WOW!! - my butt would be killing me lol.

Simi - congrats on the lb down. All your hard work is paying off.

cbigsis -I hope that the scale brings great news tomorrow!!!

My son got home safely last night. He had a good time on the build although some of the tales I have heard to not necessarily make this mom happy but I am glad to have him home. He hugged me so long and hard and even had tears in his eyes when he stepped off the plane. Melted my heart.

I feel a bit off today as I have not exercised on my usual scheduled. I will have to get some exercise in one day this weekend to make up for it.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

guacamole
07-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Simi - Yay for the 1lb! I am still waiting to see my muscles too!

cbigsis - I also seem to go up every weekend and spend all week losing it, only to go back up again! It's a see-saw ride I would like to get down from!

NEMom - Glad your son is home safe and sound! At that age, we don't often get hugs anymore! Enjoy them!

I biked another 6 miles today - I biked about 28 miles Monday-Friday of this week! I weighed in again at 151 today. Ugh! Oh well, I worked hard this week, so eventually the scale has to cooperate - right? :dizzy:

Good luck for the weekend, everyone! I know I'll need some luck!

Sheila22
07-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Hello Ladies!

TGIF! What a rough work week - especially after my vacation! And I have to go to an offsite on Sunday...so the weekend will be a short one. :(

NEMom - I can relate! I had wine last night - kids were gone for the evening, I was feeling down, and just sat on the couch and drank my wine. Weighed in at 151 this morning. :( But overall, I was within my calorie count...and the truth is, I really want to define a lifestyle I can live with - and I enjoy wine - so I want to incorporate it in moderation. I guess if I'm cutting weight, I should cut the alcohol, and not re-incorporate it until I'm where I want to be. Guess I'm nervous that when I get to my goal weight I won't be able to reincorporate it without gaining. I know that's not true - maybe it's a rationalization or an excuse...?

At any rate, I'm feeling down tonight - no kids, all alone, no vacation to look forward to (or "goal" myself on), no significant other at the moment...and find myself thinking "why am I depriving myself?"

...I need to go back to that "choiceful" feeling - where it's not deprivation, but it's my choice to cut out the junk calories, lose this weight, and look great - - FOR ME.

Somehow it's hard today. Hopefully tomorrow is better. I'm going to go kickboxing in the morning - always makes me feel good when I'm done.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

guacamole
07-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Sheila22 - Hope your weekend is going well. I like the word "choiceful." It really is about what we choose to do and not what we HAVE to do, isn't it?

Well, horrible weekend of eating for me so far, and no exercise. I don't think I will get any exercise in today either - I am waiting for a delivery at home, and by the time I am free, the temps will be too hot to go out. Hopefully, I will get some cleaning and organizing done around the house. Not fun, but I will feel accomplished if it happens.

I decided to weigh myself this morning. I NEVER weigh myself on Sundays because my Saturday eating is always off the charts. The scale read 155lbs! Yikes!!! :o Can I really gain 4lbs in 1 day? It's actually laughable how quickly the scale goes up after 1 off day. It's sad how slowly it goes back down. Anyway, I know it's mostly water weight, but I hate that I will spend all this week working hard to get back down to 150-151, and then blow it all next Saturday again. Maybe this will motivate me to eat better on the weekends.

P.S. - Small NSV - Someone asked me what kind of exercises I do to get my stomach so flat! :)

Small non-NSV - My 6 year old asked me how come I was so skinny when I married his Dad (he saw some of our wedding photos) and now I am not skinny? Grrrrrrr!!!! I told him it was because I had a lot of babies, and looked pointedly at him! :)

Sheila22
07-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Hello Ladies!

Well, it's Sunday July 15th, and I've decided it's time for me to re-focus, get serious, and take this weight loss journey to the goal line.

Weighed in at 150 this morning - 20 more pounds until I hit it. (128 is my stated goal, but I will consider 130 hitting it).

After coming back from vacation, my weight has been plateaued for two weeks. I've been enjoying wine, "binged" on Friday night (not even going to get into the details)...all of that stops today.

I have a goal, and I'm going to reach it - period. And to do that, I need to make some "choiceful" changes. If I focus, I can hit my goal weight by September 15th. That's 20 pounds in 2 months. My strategies are:

1. Exercise a minimum of 5 times a week for 30 minutes (minimum)

2. Eat "clean" - no dairy, no meat other than fish, only one processed soy meal a day (maximum), no alcohol, no pasta, potatoes, rice, bread. So my diet will be mostly fruits, veggies, nuts, fish and legumes. And I'm even going to shift my salad dressing to just balsamic vinegar (no vinaigrette). When I hit maintenance (permanent lifestyle), I will re-introduce one whole grain meal a day, dipping my fork in a vinaigrette dressing, and wine on the weekends. That is a lifestyle I can live with, and this is a lifestyle I can live with for the next two months (60 days) to reach my goal.

3. Take a multi-vitamin daily

4. Journal daily (I bought a new journal for the first 10 pounds (from 150-139) and will buy a new one from 139 to 130).

5. Read an inspirational book on weight-loss - I have found one that is spiritual and about the psychology of losing weight - - it's very good - I'll post the name of the book later, but I think more than half the battle is keeping my "story straight" in my mind - - need to constantly feed it the right messages!!

6. Keep posting here! Having you all here is really helping me not feel so alone in my journey! THANK YOU!!!

Tonight I leave for a work offsite until Wednesday. Candidly, it's easier for me to eat clean when I know I have eyes watching, so that's good. I went to the health food store yesterday and bought healthy snacks to pack - kale chips, raw nuts, etc...just in case I'm really hungry - I want to have a healthy option. The wine will be flowing freely at every dinner....I'll drink club soda with lime, and I'm fine with that - - I don't want to drink on the weekdays long-term anyway. It's amazing though - the corporate america business culture has a heavy drinking element. For example, when I fly overseas in business class all of the people are drinking like fish (I used to be one of them) - - the wine is good, and it's free. Same is true with all of these business dinners. Anyway - I'll be fine, and in fact, it will help secure me on my track...they all know I'm cutting weight and not drinking.

Today I'm going to go power walk / jog the trail for 30 minutes. I'll leave here around 7 after I have my salmon salad for dinner. :-) Am definitely packing my journal, book and of course this PC so I can check in. :-)

I'm also packing my knitting. I don't knit well - can only knit and purl...but I started doing it in the evenings when I stopped drinking and "munching" - - keeps my hands busy, and it's actually relaxing. I think I've made 5 scarves already!!! LOL. They are "perfectly imperfect", but I don't care - - even if I throw them away, the yarn is serving it's purpose! Going to finish one and start another this week. :-)

Well, I'm going to put on my tennis shoes and go hit the trail. Keep your focus ladies! We can do this!!!!!

-S

NEMom
07-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Gauc - I do the same as you. Work so hard during the week only to gain it all back on the weekend.
Back up to 163 this morning when it had been down to 162 earlier this week. If I can find my focus, and lose 3 lbs a month, I could be at my new goal weight by the end of the year.
Today did not start out great but it does not mean I can not end it on a good note. Here is to hoping anyway.

Redredbird
07-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Sheila- That is SO motivating!!

My weeks goals are: Every DAY-

1. One hour moving- walk, bike, gym or any combo
2. Eat whole foods this week- include a fresh juice from my new (old) juicer
3. Get a hobby- get a life. I am going to sew, take pictures, play games with kids and enjoy at least one hour a day of fun
4. clean one thing a day- one closet, one room REALLY well.
5. Journal

Good luck this week peeps!

sept2012
07-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi Ladies,

I am new to this forum this week. I started my journey on 7/4/2012. So far 10 pds lost. Have a long road ahead of me.

Weekly goals

Swim or walk every day; 30 minutes
Drink 100OZ of water daily
Squash negative thoughts of putting food in my mouth that does not belong
Drop 3-5 lbs by Sat (my weigh in day)

Best of luck to everyone else

JO

guacamole
07-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Welcome sept2012 and Redredbird! Sounds like you both have some solid goals and are on track!

Sheila22 - Wow, you are almost there at your goal! You've got this! I know what you mean about the corporate drinking culture. I've been a SAHM for the past year, but when I was working, it was really blatant and accepted. One year, my company had a Christmas party at a bar with free car services/cabs home for the employees (they anticipated everyone getting smashed!). There was no meal, just some little appetizers, and an open bar. The liquor was the main event. Very bizarre to me. They would have paid much less for a lavish sit down dinner for everyone and a few bottles of wine on the table.

NEMom - We've got to get focused again. It's easy to lose sight of the goal when you are at this for a long time. My eating yesterday, while with calorie range, was not good. I did ride my bike, so at least I counteracted some of the carbs and cheese I consumed. I weighed in at 152 this morning.

Trying to get back on track today! Good luck, everyone!

NEMom
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Um, my eating SUCKED yesterday. I did my usual moring work out, got to work, I was here an hour and then my son called to let me know that he cut his hand at conditioning and they recommened having it looked at. Well, five hours later and five stiches later, I was starving and broke down and had a cheese runza and fries. Dinner was not any better sad to say.
I am back on track today. Exercise - check, heathy eating - made it half way through the day and tonight I have to work my pt job so I should be able to stay on track this evening.
I would love to see a 2lb loss by the end of the month. Trying to keep my eye on the prize.

sept2012
07-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I read a great quote today... thought I would share

"If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results".

Happy Tuesday

JO

PS I have seen so many more inspirational words of wisdom over the last few day its crazy. The one above is a a favorite but another is

"The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telliyng yourself as to why you can't achieve it". This one hits so close to home for me. I am done with the excuses. No matter what comes my way I am the only person in charge of how it affects me!

NEMom
07-18-2012, 01:40 PM
The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telliyng yourself as to why you can't achieve it".
WOW - So me too! No more BS!

Had a really good food day yesterday. Did not have the best dinner since I got home so late but I stayed well within my calorie range for the day.
Did not get home too late last night so I was able to get up and exercise this morning.

Totally off topic. One thing I have always wanted was a jet ski. We have owned several boats for the past 15 years but I have always wanted my own ski. My hubby loves to fish and the boat we have now is huge, ugly and set up for fishing. I don't even know how to start the dumb thing.
Anway, last weekend, I bought my first jet ski. It is old, ugly and did not start when we bought it. It was not much money and my husband is good at fixing things and he actually got it running last night. I can't wait to be able to take it to the lake and play a little. It won't be the best looking machine on the water but I am hoping it is going to be a lot of fun!

sept2012
07-18-2012, 01:47 PM
On your topic of jet skis... I want to wakeboard next summer and SKI in the mountains. I am sick of sitting on the sidelines!

guacamole
07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
sept2012 - Love your quotes!

NEMom - I love jet skiing! Use it in good health!

I was within calorie range yesterday, but ate too many carbs. I also succumbed to nighttime eating because I had to be near the kitchen to do homework with my son. Usually we do it earlier in the day and I go upstairs after dinner. Ugh.

I biked 8 miles today and so far am staying on track. I weighed in at 152 this morning. :( I am so tired of the 150s I could scream. Guess I have to get past the BS if I want the scale to cooperate!

Redredbird
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Did I mention I really love this thread?! Feels like home reading all your posts.
Good job on starting over right away NEMom!!!
Thanks Guac! Yea alcohol is a puzzler in this culture and for me certainly does not help with my weightless goals. Hmmm, something to ponder.

Yesterday I did not exercise and ate a fricken hot dog with my family... grrrrr. I get frustrated when I compromise my health thinking I just need to go with the flow with kids and hubby.

BUT- No BS for me today. Great quotes! I love quotes to start my day.

I had a fruit smoothie and am planning veggie dinner. so there!
Worked out my hour- walk, weights and cardio. yea for CO mama!

Be strong today!

Sheila22
07-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Hello Everyone!

Well, just back from my offsite, and with all of the meetings and dinners I didn't get a chance to check in!

Overall, I stayed on track - the scale will tell me tomorrow. ;)

I exercised in the gym every evening after the meetings and before the dinners, ate fresh fruit for breakfast (usually honeydew and red raspberries), had a salad for lunch (brought my own packs of tuna and sprouted sunflower seeds) - only had balsamic vinegar as a dressing, and dinner was a piece of broiled fish with steamed veggies (no oil please! :) )

So - I'm feeling pretty good....have a 4pm conference call then I'm done for the day and will put on my tennis shoes and go to the trail for a nice long power walk!

I used to go to a kickboxing class - really loved it - anyway, it's tonight at 5:30pm, and I know it's a much better workout, but it's a 20 minute drive, there is no air conditioning in the facility (and it's over 90 degrees here at the moment), and I just want to be able to relax at home tonight. The kids come back on Friday from their Dad's, and I have tonight and tomorrow of "me time" ---- I intend to embrace and enjoy it! The other really irrational reason I don't want to kickbox right now is that I'm stepping on the scale tomorrow morning and really want to see it go down. When I kickbox my muscles get a real workout and it takes a day or two for the lactic acid, water, whatever to get out of my system. Yep - crazy reason not to want to go - - I really should focus on inches instead of pounds. At any rate, I'm not going tonight for all of the other reasons as well. When I hit my goal I'll start back with the class - I know I'll be gaining muscle weight, but it's important to me to see that 130 on the scale!

So right now I'm sipping sugar-free lemonade....will unpack before my 4pm meeting. Breakfast today was melon and berries, I stopped at Max & Erma's no the way home for lunch - had a black bean veggie burger with about 2T of guacomole and fresh salsa on top coupled with a salad - - NO BUN!!! It was actually REALLY delicious! Stopped at the health food store deli, bought some herb grilled salmon and roasted veggies - I'll have that for dinner tonight.

NEMom - be careful on the jet-ski! Over Labor Day weekend I rode one with my then boyfriend - the water was choppy (lake was busy), he was driving and stupidly, I rode in front of him....we hit a wake, my hands slipped, the jet ski flew up and I broke my jaw and BOTH jaw joints!!!! I was lucky it wasn't worse - I didn't know it then, but people do die on jet-ski's every year - it's like a motorcycle on water but you aren't wearing any protective gear - so BE CAREFUL!!! I was blessed at the time - had a really great surgeon, and outside of having a small scar under my chin (with a lovely titanium plate underneath), you wouldn't know to look at me that I ever broke my jaw. Still, when people mention jet-ski's, I feel compelled to share my story! So if anyone rides with you, the driver needs to be in FRONT so if you hit a wake, they can fall backwards off the jet-ski instead of the jet-ski hitting them in the face! End of sermon. :D

Well, the house is starting to cool down - I turned the air off when I left - why pay to keep the house cool for the fish? LOL

Time to unpack and tidy up the house before my conference call - have a great day everyone!

Sheila

NEMom
07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Guac - Wow! 8 mile bike ride, I am so impressed. I have a bike that I do not ride. There is a huge hill to make it out of the neighboorhood we live in and my the time I huff and puff to the top I am done. Good Job!

Red - Don't beat yourself up over eating a hot dog. Sometimes we just make the best choices we can and that includes eating a hot dog. I eat hot dogs sometimes, usually I leave the bun off but its not the worst thing to eat.

Shelia - Sounds like you ate GREAT on your work trip. I am sure you will see the scale down in the morning.
Thanks for the waring to be safe. I am so sorry about your accident and broken jaw, that must have been soo painful. I will be careful when I ride, promise. I am taking a couple hours off Friday afternoon so we can go to the lake and test it out. My hubby got it running in the garage and I really hope it runs in the water!!!

I got on the scale this morning and it was down to 160.2. I know the scale fluxates daily so I am not holing my breath it will be the same tomorrow but I am crossing my fingers and hoping.

sept2012
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Ok I know people have their opinions and such about prayer and religion and so on but what I am about to say has nothing to do with any of that. My mother is a recovering alcoholic and the serinity prayer was always in our house when I was growing up.

Today I was driving to work and thinking about why the scale has not moved since saturday. I was feeling a little down about that but then the serinity prayer hit me like a ton of bricks... just the opening paragraph

"God grant me the serinity to accept the things I cannot change, courange to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference". I was thinking about what I can change and what I can control. I can control and change my thoughts, my weight, the way my body looks on the outside and the youth of it on the inside. Those few lines took away my moment of sadness about the scale and made me think logically about this weight loss journey. My body is adjusting to this new lifestyle. For more than two weeks I have not put a single bad thing in my mouth. I have worked out every single day and I know if I keep moving ahead, instead of being discouranged by the scale, the scale will move again and I will be inspried even more to keep going.

I am frusterated I have to wait for the weight ticker... I want to see that thing every single day...

guacamole
07-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Redredbird - I know what you mean about this thread feeling like home - I feel like the 40-Somethings area is my "home" here at 3FC. Don't sweat over a hot dog. It's not like hot dogs are a regular staple in your diet. We are allowed to have a treat now and again! :)

Sheila22 - I really admire how you are juggling work and your weight loss efforts! It's tough, but you can do it! The jet ski accident sounds awful! Something to keep in mind next time I go.

NEMom - Yeah for the low number on the scale! You are working hard and it's paying off!

sept2012 - I love the serenity prayer. You've written down some wonderful thoughts. I think that is a healthy attitude to adopt regarding being in control of our weight loss, even if we aren't in control of the scale. You are doing great!

Today I rode the farthest I have ever gone - 10 miles! I didn't intend to ride that far, but I discovered that the trail I usually go down extends a lot farther. I knew it did, but I wasn't sure where it connected. Today I followed another biker who was in front of me, and although you have to cross 2 roads to get to it, the trail goes on for miles after that. I could have gone further, but I didn't want to push myself too much because I was getting really tired! I weighed in at 151 this morning and so far my eating is on track, although I am SUPER hungry. My husband says that when he exercises he loses his appetite. I am the opposite. After I exercise I am starving! So, I have had a 600 calorie lunch of coffee, greek yogurt, blueberries, kashi cereal, scrambled eggs, and morningstar sausage patties. I am stuffed for now!

sept2012
07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Are you doing mountain biking then? When did you start and tell me about it. I have always been fascinated by riding a mountain bike but am afraid that I will end up on my face with missing teeth. PLUS everyone i know does it and want to participate.

guacamole
07-19-2012, 04:29 PM
sept2012 - Yes, I do have a mountain bike. I mainly ride paved or pebbled trails, but sometimes go off road to pick up the trail at another spot. I have been riding since around May 2012. I have been slowly building up my distance and speed. It gets a little easier every day, and I love being in the outdoors. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like exercise, except I am sweaty and huffing when I am finished!

Redredbird
07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Guac! I rode my road bike 20 miles today!!! Its no mountain bike, like you but I road Up hills and all!! I am so proud of myself! I used to run but my body feels wrecked. Now I HEART my bike.

NEMom- congrats on going down on the scale. WTG!!!

sept- I also love the serenity prayer. I am going to write it down and say it to myself in the mornings. It is encouraging, hopeful and action oriented. I admit to being an 12 step wannabe.

~So grateful to be here.

Sheila22
07-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Sept - LOVE the Serenity prayer! And you are SO right! We can CHANGE our attitudes, our weight, and our habits!! I'm going to start using it as my daily mantra!

Guac and Red - awesome that you are riding your bikes! I live close to a trail - I think I'm inspired to buy one and start using it! I see all of these bikers when I'm powerwalking and I'm jealous how fast they can go down the trail!

NE - did the jet-ski work???? I'm so excited for you!! (eventhough I don't think I could ever mount one again...lol)

I've decided to "idiot proof" my diet this weekend. LOL I'm going to "cook" on Sunday for the week. I have one of those storage container spinners - different sizes (2C, 1C 1/2C containers - all with the same lid -- can buy them at Walmart), and I'm going to make lentil stew (crockpot - any canned beans, red lentils, can of crushed tomatoes, chopped garlic, box of frozen spinach and any veggies in the fridge - just throw 'em in! I love zucchini...maybe add a bit of chili powder), will also make bean salad (4 or 5 different cans of beans rinsed - black beans, kidney beans, butter beans, black-eyed peas, olives, and tons of chopped fresh veggies - celery, green pepper, tomato, green onion, carrots....the more the merrier!...then I throw in some fat-free italian dressing, mix it all up and WALLA! - food for a week!)...I'm also going to fill the 2 cup containers with just fresh cut veggies to munch on - celery, baby carrots, sliced green peppers, raw green beans and snow peas---- YUM! and I'm going to fill some 1C containers as fresh fruit cups - grapes, sliced strawberries, melon...I'm hoping the kids will reach in there and just "grab and go"....we will see!

I had the idea at work - we had a 7am meeting (conference call with China) and they had breakfast brought in - fruit cups...and I was thinking - sheesh - how many times have I let a container of strawberries go bad because they weren't "ready to eat" and I didn't want to bother cleaning and cutting them?...the rest is genius history...LOL.

So that's my strategy for next week!

Overall good day - I had Panera black bean soup for lunch (it's low fat and only 190 calories a cup!)...currently have a crustless veggie pizza in the oven (veggie crumbles, chopped olives, banana peppers, can of rinsed kidney beans, pizza sauce and some rice mozzarella cheese on top)...that will get me through the weekend.

Eventhough the scale is still at 150 (I think due to PMS) I am "choicefully" taking the day off from working out. My commitment is 5 times a week, and I've already done 4, and know I will also workout Friday and Saturday. So today is my "day off" :-) The kids come back from Dad's tomorrow...so I'm going to throw on a movie, kick back, eat my veggie pizza and relax!

I'm so glad to have you all here! Really helps me stay on track - - THANK YOU!!!

NEMom
07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I got on the scale this morning and it was 159.6. I was so glad to see the 150's (barely) again. I am hoping this will keep me motivated to stay on track this weekend as I tend to stray too far off track on the weekends.

Have a busy weekend. Have to work my pt job on Sat. and its my hubby's birthday. We are going to meet some friends at the bar for drinks. I need to clean house and on Sunday we are having some family out for lunch. I also need to find some time to get laundry done. I need to feel organized because I am working my pt job several days next week.

Have a great weekend ya all!!!!!!!

Redredbird
07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Sheila- I have to tell you- your post helped to change the course of my day. I was feeling down and could not find inspiration UNTIL I read your meal plan for the week and your movie plan.
Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I am going to make a bean salad and watch a funny movie while my family is out of the house. I can't express how for some reason it was reading your plan that shook me out of my funk- so

THANK YOU!!

and Congrats on the 150's NEMom

sept2012
07-20-2012, 01:17 PM
I am inspired about the biking too. I love endurance workouts and will strive for those 20 mile bike rides as well. I think once I get back from my trip I will start looking at bikes. I need to switch up my workouts. :)

guacamole
07-20-2012, 04:05 PM
20 miles! You're killing me, people! I thought I was rocking it at 10! Well, you guys are giving me something to strive for. I did 6 miles today with hubby. He doesn't ride as often as I do, and needs to stop just when I am kicking into gear! It's ok though, because he is also building up his endurance and we get to spend time together. Eventually, we will be more in synch with the distance we travel.

Still coasting along at 151lbs, and still cheating with off plan foods. Not sure when I will find the motivation to get stricter with my eating again. It seems to come in waves.

Sheila22
07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Hello Ladies!

TGIF!!!! WOO HOO!! I changed my mind about going completely alcohol free - am enjoying a glass of chardonnay tonight after a long but productive work week! Am on my 'puter, listening to Jack Johnson's album "On and On" - - - GREAT CHILL MUSIC!!!! Love it!!!

Today - 2 veggie sausage patties for breakfast, some crustless veggie pizza for lunch, and a piece of salmon with about 1/2 C of vegan coleslaw for dinner. Going grocery shopping tomorrow for my Sunday "meal making" fun....lol Red - I'm so glad I helped you!! That's what this forum is all about! :)

I'm "stuck" at 150. Just need to get solidly into the 140s...I'm not worried though - I know it's PMS...so I'm exercising my "patience" muscle...lol (wonder how many calories THAT will burn? ;) )

Guac - I know what you mean about waves - it's like we "cycle" (ha! - no pun intended)...go from bootcamp to Vegas and back....LOL. The point is, we are more aware and conscious of it...I know I was in "Vegas" all last year and didn't even notice it! LOL! You have come SOOO far!! You inspire me!

Sept - I'm with you on the bike! I'm going to buy one next weekend!!! I'm a bit nervous - okay you bikers - here's an awkward question - - how do you avoid having your butt and crotch hurt from the bike seat??? Sorry to be blunt, but that's the main reason I've avoided the bike...is there a special seat I should buy?

NE - WOO HOO!! 150s!!! I'm feeling exactly the same about the 140s...can't wait to see that 5 gone!! (at least until I'm at 145 ;) )

Okay girls - I'm off...still jammin' to Jack Johnson...going to write down my grocery list instead of type on the PC then rent a movie to watch with the kids.

Have a FABULOUS Friday night! :carrot:
Sheila

sept2012
07-20-2012, 10:37 PM
I am currently sitting on a plane in Houston and I must say today has been a challenge! Fraud on my bank account wiped me out there is actually zero dollars in my pocket and I am screwed! On my flight from atl to Houston I sat next to a man that had his earphones up way too loud and he farted the whole way! Needless to say I have been in a horrible mood and actually thought to myself I am eating and drinking whatever is on the menu in first class tonight:) ok so I probably won't know that I wrote it down and now that I am calmer. I hunk the poor man at the bank xxxx himself by the time I was done with him! I feel bad but I had car reservations and needed cash for the next few days and he said there was nothing they could do till Monday oi! Thank god I am going to a place where I have friends and family and I can figure this all out! Isaw myself very easily regressing and wanting to just say f it. Instead I ordered a diet coke and had some nutts! I am do thankful I have a place to log onto now and put all of these things down in writing otherwise I'd be stuffing my face! Thanks for listening and I hope you all have a great weekend!

nurturek
07-20-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm looking around for some online weight loss support. I've maintained a 15 lb loss for over five years--yaay!--but need to relose the 10-15 lbs I've gained over time.

Thought I'd check in here and say: I'm just back from vacation but had a pretty good eating day today, with a 26pt/1,300 calorie total. I use my own modified WW system to track my food, and I keep it simple by just going one meal at a time.

I'm currently at 169 with hopes of 158 by the end of 2012 or sooner.

Sheila22
07-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Sept - what a horrible experience! Sounds like you managed through it well food wise! Well done! I hope everything works out soon for you!

nurturek - WELCOME! The good news - you've done it before, you can do it again! I am finding this forum to be very helpful just keeping me on track!

Today I power walked the trail for 30 minutes, had two veggie sausage patties with a slice of rice cheese for breakfast, then the kids and I went to the mall - we ate at a nearby PF Changs - I had some edamame, and the seared ahi tuna appetizer (just ahi tuna and greens) - - afternoon snack - 3 tofu pups. Dinner will be salmon and vegan coleslaw AND, I'm going to power walk the trail for another 30 minutes this evening! It is an absolutely beautiful day!!

At the mall I bought new jeans - SIZE 6!!! Oh - and I saw the 140s this morning! 149.75! LOL Hey - I'll take it! I also bought some eye makeup at Sephora...and went to the Health Food store to get some green tea, more herb grilled salmon, veggie salads, etc...

Funny story at the health food store - I was standing at the deli and this older man came up and said "I was noticing your bag" (meaning my purse - I thought he was going to compliment me on it...I really like it)...when I smiled expecting him to ask me where I got it so he could get one for his wife or something he instead said "I'll bet it took a whole cow to make that"....yep - it's leather, and my guess - he was an ethical vegan.... LOL! I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh!! I've never been insulted for the purse I carry! Anyway - people crack me up.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday! After dinner and the trail I'm going to come back, enjoy some wine (I'm going to earn the calories with this second workout) and the kids and I are going to have a bonfire.

Zumbachica
07-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Hello everyone...I was looking to see if anyone started a new challenge and figured out y'all were here! Nice to catch up with everyone.

I haven't been eating well. I gained a good four or five lbs....now i'm busy trying to get it off.

Other than my Zumba classes I am just trying to stay active doing outdoor stuff...walking, swimming.....anything that gets me moving.....

Tomorrow I promised myself I will start taking my vitamins and supplements....more water.....I am not going to make any promises about my diet.....just trying to keep the carbs low and try and make good choices.

Sheila22
07-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Good morning all!

148 this morning! :carrot:

I was so excited I went directly to the trail and power walked 30 minutes! :)

Came back and ate a plate of cherries and a peach that I sliced (bought some at the farmer's market yesterday).

Today is cooking day - kids and I are going to go grocery shopping then I'm going to come home and make my meals for the week! Small success with my daughter this morning - she tried my breakfast and liked the fruit! Then she was helping me make the grocery list and added grapes, bananas....woo hoo!

So - need to wake my son so we can get this day going! Will go do another 30 minutes on the trail this evening. Beautiful day!

EN-JOY!
Sheila

syndehat
07-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Ladies

I have enjoyed reading your super supportive thread and hope it's OK to join in?

Just starting my journey and need accountability to keep me motivated and on track. I think I may have found it?

I like to weigh in on Fridays so I keep myself motivated over the weekend and then on Monday - Thursday I ramp up to the weigh in on Friday. I only weigh once a week otherwise I will obsess over the scale and I canít allow myself to do that. It is a stupid mental trick but I guess whatever works right...

I LOVE the bracelet idea and will be doing that for myself. A constant visual reminder of my goals and commitment to better health will help me greatly.

Looking forward to supporting you all and joining in on the fun!:)

envelope
07-22-2012, 03:53 PM
NEMom - congratulations on making it into the 150s!!!

Guac - all the talk about riding convinced me to hop on our stationary bike instead of the elliptical last night. As an adult I have not ridden more than a block outside (I can not figure out the gears!!!) and had never tried our stationary even though we have had it for 3 years. I am sure your hubby will build up endurance soon and the two of you will have some great times out riding around.

Welcome Nurturek - Happy early bday! I started posting here this summer even though I do not actually turn 40 until October. Congrats on maintaining the 15lb loss for so long!!!

Welcome Syndehat! Lots of people only weigh 1 time a week. I am very data driven, so I find weighing daily motivates me. The key thing with weight loss is finding what works for you...and doing it!

Sept- OH MY! Great job not stress eating, it is my biggest weakness.

Zumba - I did the same thing at the start of the month...I was pleasantly surprised how much of my gain was water weight, and I am back to losing.

NEMom
07-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Happy Monday to all my fabulous 40 friends!! Hope you all had a great weekend!

I am embaressed to admit that after all the kuddos, my scale was back up to 161 this morning but it is TOM and I know it is water weight. I had what I consider a good food weekend, for me anyway. No binging, skipped hubby's birthday cookie that I got him and skipped all the treats when we had family over yesterday. I did have 2 pieces of pizza last nigt but still within my calorie range. I expect that my gain is actually water and should be off by the weekend.
Took my jet ski (actually called a Sea Cruiser) to the lake Friday. We all had a GREAT time!!! I am taking part of this Friday off so we can go again.
Happy Monday All!!

guacamole
07-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Quick check-in...my exercise has been good, but my eating hasn't. I really overdid it again this weekend - I am starting to sound like a broken record! I rode pretty far down a new trail today, but I can't get my odometer to register anything - it's just stuck at 0 and doesn't register my speed or distance. I'll have to have hubby check it out tonight. Anyway, I was tired when I was finished riding, so I know I pushed myself.

One thing I did notice is that when I eat too much sugar my inner monster appears! It's like I am in PMS mode without the PMS! I get so irritable and anxious. I also crash big time about 30 minutes after the sugar rush and all I want to do is sleep. It's interesting, because I have sugar so rarely now, that I can really see the difference in how I feel when I do have it.

Good luck today, ladies!

Sheila22
07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Happy Monday Everyone!

Good day today - had two veggie sausage patties with a slice of rice cheese for breakfast (200), lunch was my veggie taco salad (which I made yesterday! :) ) (350) , dinner was a piece of herb grilled salmon and about 1/3 C of spicy asian coleslaw (450). Then I put on my tennis shoes, went and power walked the trail for 30 minutes...got my unsweet iced tea at Starbucks as my reward, came back home, made some fresh sugar free lemonade, and now I'm having a cup of fresh cut strawberries (100)!

Going to journal for awhile, then pick out a new good book to start reading. The kids and I are going down to Florida to see my Mom in September, so I'm really motivated to shed another 10 pounds by then! Breaking it down into "mini-goals" really helps me. For example, I have a big business meeting on August 1st. 9 days - my goal is to lose 2.5 pounds by then - 145.5. Even if I don't make it quite there, I know I'm going to be close - because I'm going to be LASER FOCUSED on those 2.5 pounds! That's an 8750 calorie deficit over that time period (3500 calories to lose 1 pound), that's 972 calories a day I have to burn over what I eat. If I eat 1200 calories a day that's about a 800 calorie deficit (or even a little more...I need to check), then if I power walk every day that will give me another 150 burned...so I'll be close! Today I'm sitting at about 1100 calories - and I'm done for the day - other than my decaf coffee with a little shot of sugar-free almond syrup. ;-)

Sounds almost obsessive doesn't it?? LOL But honestly, it just helps focus me...I promise I won't freak out if I eat a little more, or exercise a little less...but knowing specifically what I have to do to get the result in the time frame I want it helps me stay focused!!

I'm off to find that good book to read. Have a nice evening!

Sheila

envelope
07-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Sheila - I am a data geek too. I know that for some people it would be a compulsion, but I find a calmness in knowing exactly what I need to do. Although I would be starving at 1100 cals a day! My body demands somewhere between 1300 - 1800 cals a day.

Sheila22
07-24-2012, 08:29 PM
147.5! :carrot:

Today's menu was exactly the same as yesterday, only instead of spicy asian slaw with my salmon, I had a mixed bean and spinach salad, and instead of fresh strawberries I had a bowl of cherries. Oh - also had cherries for breakfast instead of the veggie sausage patties with rice cheese...so only about 1100 calories today.

I SOOO wanted (WANT) a glass of wine tonight! (uh - or two) - - stressful day with the kids...(sigh) - teenagers. So, I put on my tennis shoes to go to the trail to do my power walk and decompress....ended up going through Starbucks, then almost bagged the whole walk and went through the drive thru to get a bottle of wine. Instead I forced myself to "do the time"... :-)

Have you ever noticed that you have never once REGRETTED a work out???

I felt better afterwards, but still drama with my teen daughter...almost went through the drive thru AGAIN on the way home....but I told myself that line from a movie (can't remember the movie)...."never drink to feel better, only drink to feel EVEN better!" So....I drove home, had my bowl of cherries, and am going to make my sugar free lemonade. Also put a facial mask on....EXTREME SELF CARE!!!!! What I do know, is that most drama today goes into much better perspective tomorrow.

At any rate, the scale was down this morning which felt good. (sigh) - - definitely not one of my better parenting days though, but I'm muscling through it - and I'm sure I'm doing much better than if I would have drank the wine. Importantly, I'll feel proud of the way I "coached" myself through the evening when I get up tomorrow morning! Funny, I say that it's not one of my better parenting days, but the truth is, it's just not one of my more enjoyable ones...probably on the parenting "impact" scale, it's actually pretty good. I am not a disciplinarian...and definitely don't like conflict...so it's uncomfortable for me when my teens think I'm "horrible" when I don't give them what they want. Every parent goes through it...and I'm proud that I'm holding my ground. (see - already gaining perspective :) )

Hope everyone had a good Tuesday! I'm off to make "lemonade out of lemons"...LOL

sept2012
07-25-2012, 11:03 AM
I live in Atlanta and my family is in California and Arizona. Over the weekend I visitied them. 4 days... is all it took for me to get off track. I tried several times to go use the community pool to swim laps but each time either the pool was closed or open for some other type of activity (long story). Today I feel like crap.. old, fat and undisciplined. I can not believe it only took four days after weeks of working out and eating right to throw me off track. I don't know why but I am having a hard time jumping back on. I feel tired and sluggish and generally low. I miss my family a lot when I am not with them. I need to gain back that sense of purpose that I was feeling before I left. I need to feel like eating right and working out is my number one priority. I can't get my mind off other things today and feel like if I don't take the bull by the horns right this minute I am going to slip back into a place I don't want to be.

Any advice?

syndehat
07-25-2012, 01:13 PM
I feel your pain/confusion Sept2012. Maybe make a list of your priorities and keep them in a place in your home to be a visual reminder for you? Do you share your weight loss goals with your family? If so can you get them to support you in your efforts? I don't share with my family. Somehow it seems too personal. At the end of the day your best "defense" is your own determination on belief in yourself that you can do it.

Good luck!!

:)

guacamole
07-25-2012, 03:15 PM
sept2012 - Maybe if you look at the last few days as a normal wave in the ebb and flow of your dieting journey. Most of us can't be perfectly on plan all of the time. Vacations, holidays, PMS, stress - whatever your poison, it can serve to mess up your schedule of diet and exercise. If we see these times as a normal part of the larger picture, we don't have to see ourselves as failing. Eating off plan and not exercising yesterday, doesn't mean you have to eat off plan and not exercise today. You haven't blown it. You are in control! You can do this! :hug:

I went biking with my husband today - about 4 1/2 miles. I haven't weighed myself this week, which is a sign that I know I am not doing well. My eating hasn't been great and I have been drawn like a magnet to certain foods in my fridge. I normally don't make pasta, but my family wanted cheese lasagna last night (one of my favorites!). I made it and had a double portion - or what amounted to a double portion because I kept going back for just one more taste! This is why I don't make lasagna! I don't think I will ever be fully in control of my eating - the only control I can take is simply not to have it in the house.

Sheila22
07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Sept - the same thing happened to me after my summer vacation - it was like I completely lost my motivation! My recommendation - DO YOU!!! And never beat yourself up for slipping - after all, you're on YOUR team! :-) And we all slip...

Remember that this is a marathon, not a race...and sometimes we get off course - there's really no avoiding it - that's life right? ;) You're going after a new you, a new and healthier, and happier way of living your life...irregardless of weight, you know you felt better when you were at your BEST and laser focused on "DOING YOU"! Remember that feeling?? Don't you want it back? And guess what - you have the complete power to give yourself that awesome gift of feeling great! No one can take it from you...it's all in your control. So TAKE IT BACK! :)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Don't settle for a life less than you can have! We're here for you girlfriend!

Sheila22
07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Okay - checking in for the day. 147! :) Overall, stressful at work - wanted to "wine" it away tonight, but stayed strong.

Had veggie sausage patties with a slice of rice cheese (200), veggie taco salad for lunch (@350), then when I got home was STARVING...and had a package of that fake crabmeat (200) and made my "fake wine" (aka sugar free lemonade) Then I cut up some veggies (yellow squash, portabella mushrooms and broccoli) - threw them on a baking sheet, sprinkled them with garlic powder and roasted them for about 45 minutes - YUM!!! Even my son had a piece of broccoli and thought it was good!!! WOO HOO!!! Then I went down to the trail, did my 30 minute power walk, ran through Starbucks for my iced-tea and now back home, getting ready to make myself a big bowl of fresh cherries for dessert.

Tomorrow is another busy day at work...need to get materials out by close of business and the stress levels are running high. I'm definitely going to enjoy wine on Friday, but not until I close out the work week!

I'm going to clean out my closet this weekend. I have clothes ranging from size 14 to size 4 (I made it to an 8 so far :carrot:) So I'm going through everything, and anything a size 10 and above I'm taking to Goodwill. Then I'll go through the rest, and anything I know I won't wear will go also. I'm going to organize by size so I can find the clothes that currently fit in the morning and also create my "goal" sections of size 6 and size 4....closet shopping!! WOO HOO!!!

Oh - and as predicted the teenage storm passed....glad I didn't react and numb the stress with empty calories.

Stay strong ladies!!

Redredbird
07-26-2012, 05:13 AM
I literally spit my beverage out reading some of the posts- they are so funny! farting on planes, PMS and cow purse.. LOL

I'm going on another long bike ride tomorrow/ I mean today... with my hubby.

Not much progress on the weight loss. Excuses, excuses. But-
Got to get back on that bike.

Note to self- drink more water!!! Keep exercising, and be kinder to yourself...

Have a lovely day ladies! (and gents? idk)

sept2012
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. I literally had to step back, read and listen to what was being said. I am typically on a pretty good high. That week did me in, but I will say I did very well yesterday and today. As soon as I went swimming at my lunch yesterday I felt so so much better. And yes I want to remember how that feels every day. The scale was also much kinder to me today than it was the day I got back. I know I know... I am one of those people who knows better but I got on the scale after traveling for 12 hours and was devestated at what I saw. Thank goodness its back to normal and I can move on from here. No more distractions for me for a while. I would like to get through the next three months... Look back at this time and think "what was I thinking"

Guac - I am still impressed with your biking. I am thinking of putting a bike in my budget for next month :) I am inspired as I said before. Started looking at them on line. Next step walk into a sports authority and have them size me up for one. :) right now swimming every day and walking every other day is enough but it would be cool to add a third activity to the mix - staves of boredom.

Shelia - so cool about your closet... isn't that funny I have a range too from 18-14... I can't wait to take those darn 18's to good will. Must be a terrific feeling.

Synd - I don't keep my family in the loop. They don't get it. I got fat genes from the milk man I guess. So visiting them is a food fest and I just should have been prepared for it. Like at XMAS it will be a free week for me. I have to say that up front and then just let the cards fall were they will. I don't want to go nutts over it but I also am not going to be a manaic like I tried to be this last time. I will take my own advise here and take it one minute, one hour and one day at a time - worry about the next trip when it comes.

Hope you all are having a great week!

JO

guacamole
07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Quick check in - weighed in at 153 this morning. :(

However, it wasn't as bad as I thought, especially considering my high carb eating and that PMS time is here! I biked 6 miles today and it was tough - weird, since I've gone farther and with more energy before. My eating is on track so far today. Plugging along.

sept2012 - glad to be an inspiration! I think mixing up your workouts to avoid boredom is a smart thing to do. I was alternating between walking and biking, but lately, I have enjoyed biking so much that I have just been doing that. If I get bored I will go back to walking or maybe starting to jog.

Sheila22
07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Hello Everyone!

Rainy day - no trail tonight :( But it's okay - I need a night off. This morning I had my veggie sausage patties and rice cheese (200), then only a few bites of my veggie taco salad for lunch (250) (tired of that - glad it's almost gone! lol), then a banana (100) for a snack. Got home, and had a turkey roast in the oven for the kids - I don't eat meat (other than fish), and didn't feel like cooking, so I pulled out a pack of "tofurky" (300) and ate that along with a few pieces of the roasted broccoli I made last night. I'm full - now having a cup of macadamia nut cookie keurig coffee! Good for a rainy evening.

I'm so glad tomorrow is FRIDAY!! Tonight I'm going to online shop for some luncheon plates - they are bigger than a bread plate, but smaller than a dinner plate - automatic portion control!

Hope everyone had a good Thursday - oh, up 1/2 a pound this morning (147.5), but I'm used to the flux when I weigh in daily - no worries... :)

NEMom
07-27-2012, 01:05 PM
It's finally Friday!! Yippee!!
I am so tried working all these extra hours at my PT job is kicking my butt.
The scale was back to 159 today, water weight from TOM leaving.
Have a very busy weekend working at my PT job but I am taking this afternoon off to go play at the lake for a little.
Hope you have a great weekend!

Sheila22
07-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Good-bye old clothes.....

Cleaned out my closet this afternoon - thought it would feel good...interesting, I felt nervous.

The only thing left in my closet now is size 4-8. I'm in an 8 now, so the pressure is on to definitely stay there, and I think that is the source of my discomfort....that and hundreds of dollars of clothes are now gone. :(

....but, I keep thinking to myself that if I left the larger clothes stay, it would be easier for me to be "okay" going back up to a size 10, 12, 14....so, it's a strategic decision, that candidly, I still need to get comfortable with.

All that said, after I finished "cleansing" my closet, I went to the trail and did 30 minutes. Then bought a bottle of Chardonnay...LOL.

So, now it's time to relax and celebrate (or grieve, which is more what it feels like - - can't explain that one).....anyway, I have a crustless veggie pizza in the oven, the kids went to their Dad's for the week, and I'm going to find a nice chick flick to throw in and cheer me up. :)

I can do this. I know I can. I think that getting rid of all of the larger clothes just feels like pressure to maintain. The truth is though, I want it to be painful to go out and buy a size 10 pant! A literal "kick in the butt"...LOL

So - - it's more real now. I'm changing for good!!!

syndehat
07-27-2012, 07:59 PM
So my first week weigh in shows I am down 5.6 punds. :) Good to know that all my hard work paid off this past week. :carrot: I realize that I can't expect such a large loss every week (I secretly hope it will). I decided to only take my measurements once a month and plan to begin exercising in a more regimented manner next week. So good news to pass along here.

I love to check in with the rest of you so please post!:^:

Sheila22
07-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Syndehat - AWESOME JOB!!! WOO HOO!!! :carrot: Wow - that's a great one week result!!!

My scale was up this morning to 148. :( No doubt the wine and the sodium from the crustless veggie pizza I ate. At any rate, I'm done grieving my closet. ;)

Going to go walk the trail in a few minutes - then coming home to clean. I have a hair appointment at 1:30, then going to pop into the mall to buy some size 6 pants from the Limited. I'm not sure they will fit yet, but I have these incredible coupons that will give me $50 off!! So definitely want to take advantage of them.

After that I'm going to run up to the health food store. I'll have dinner there tonight, then buy some good food for the week.

Feeling like I've "plateau'd" again. :( Just need to keep doing what I know is working...burn more than I feed myself.

Off to hit the trail. I'm hoping to get a second walk in this evening.

Sheila22
07-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Good day. Power walked (and jogged) the trail for 30 mins this morning, then came home, cleaned, then got my hair, nails and eyebrows done...then walked (jogged) the trail again for another 30 mins!

Enjoying my Saturday night with a glass of wine. Life is Good!! :running:

Sheila22
07-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Hello Everyone!

Didn't weigh in today. Overall, it's been a productive one. More house cleaning, but it's DONE! And before I started in on the house this morning I went to the trail and power walked / jogged for 30 minutes. I know the interval training is doing something because my leg muscles are sore! :D

Drove up to the health food store to get some grilled salmon and deli salads. Dinner is now taken care of. I also stopped at TJMaxx - took back a couple of things in my closet that are now too big and still had the price tags on them...got a smaller shirt, a pair of heels for my big meeting this week, and also a beautiful big canvas picture with a butterfly on it. I came home and hung it in my exercise room. :)

Will go back to the trail to do another 30 minutes here shortly. I also reloaded my iPod Nano - found a 155 bpm running mix. I've set a new goal. Our company is hosting a 5K for charity in September - - I actually think if I keep interval running I can work up to it! My first 5K!!!! :carrot:

My stomach is still really big - I'm convinced that almost all of the 18 pounds I have left to lose is sitting RIGHT THERE. UH! Think I'm going to do a 100 crunches with my new butterfly before going back to the trail.

Really feeling good. Strong and grounded. Eventhough the scale isn't moving much - I know I'm getting leaner...

Weekends go by way too fast though - I can't believe tomorrow is Monday!

Hope everyone has a good Sunday evening!

syndehat
07-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Sounds like a productive weekend for you Sheila. I love weekends like that! I stayed close to home and did a few things around here too.

Eating was good this weekend too so feeling good about that :)

This week I am planning on stepping up my exercise routine to add to my overall new life plan. Looking forward to that.

Have a SUPER week everyone! :carrot:

sept2012
07-30-2012, 10:39 AM
.... if you do not step forward, you'll always be in the same place:)

This weekend was good. So happy to watch the olympics makes me want to swim more :) stayed on plan and didn't have very many distractions which always makes for a happy weigh in on monday morning.

Hope you all are having a great day

JO

guacamole
07-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Quick check-in. Glad to see everyone is doing well. I've been incredibly busy - kids everywhere! My eating this weekend was better than it usually is - not perfect, but better. I haven't weighed myself since last week because TOM arrived, and I don't need the scale drama! Got in a walk today with my daughter, but didn't have time for anything more.

Glad to see people are motivated and hanging in there! Keeps me going, I tell you!

Sheila22
07-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Busy day at work today - breakfast was two veggie sausage patties with a slice of rice cheese (200), had an orange for a snack (50) - lunch was a piece of salmon (350) with about 1/3 C of an asian coleslaw (no mayo but some type of vinaigrette dressing - 100)...just got home from work, and ate 3 tofu pups (180) - so sitting at 880 calories for the day - going to put on my sneakers and go to the trail for 30 minutes - I know I'll be hungry after, so I'll figure out something healthy while I'm zoning on the trail!

Heading to NYC tomorrow for business. Hotels and treadmills for the next few days - oh, and fish, salads, fruit and veggies, but I'll be sure to pack "emergency supplies" in my purse in case I'm in a pinch (e.g. at the airport) - it's hilarious, but I always have a pack of tuna in my purse - so if I can only get a salad (like at a business buffet lunch), I can just pull out my tuna and have a filling meal. I also pack raw food bars made from dates and nuts - don't like to eat them too often, but in a pinch they are handy...oh, and those little 100 calorie packs of mixed nuts - filling and immediate portion control - uh, unless I eat more than one pack. :) I also pack herbal teas, sugar free gum...seriously, now that I think about it, I probably could eat a whole day of calories out of my purse! LOL

Anyway - glad everyone had a wonderful weekend!! I'm off to get my power walk / jog in!!!

Sheila22
07-31-2012, 06:17 AM
Well, my goal was to weigh in today at 145.5 - I got on the scale this morning - 146! :carrot: Not quite where I wanted to be, but close - I'll take it!!

Now only 3 pounds until I get to put on my 40 pound bracelet!!

Working from home this morning before the airport - will do a couple of conference calls, then hit the trail one last time before packing and leaving.

Uh - and my underwear is getting too big! LOL Might need to go shopping this weekend! LOL

Hope everyone has a great day!

Sheila22
07-31-2012, 06:46 AM
Just ordered a pedometer off of Amazon. I've been going to this trail, but have no idea how far I'm going when I get on it - - just "to the bridge and back" - - well how far is the bridge?? LOL It also records my steps - - so I think it will be good - I can wear it to work (really super thin) - and goal myself to 10000 steps a day - - gotta keep movin! :dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

sept2012
07-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Just ordered a pedometer off of Amazon. I've been going to this trail, but have no idea how far I'm going when I get on it - - just "to the bridge and back" - - well how far is the bridge?? LOL It also records my steps - - so I think it will be good - I can wear it to work (really super thin) - and goal myself to 10000 steps a day - - gotta keep movin! :dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

10,000 steps is a great goal! Good luck with the travel and the airport!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wSnjTrX/exercise.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wSnjTrX/)

sept2012
07-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Quick check-in. Glad to see everyone is doing well. I've been incredibly busy - kids everywhere! My eating this weekend was better than it usually is - not perfect, but better. I haven't weighed myself since last week because TOM arrived, and I don't need the scale drama! Got in a walk today with my daughter, but didn't have time for anything more.

Glad to see people are motivated and hanging in there! Keeps me going, I tell you!

Guac - funny I knew before I got out of my warm cozy bed today that I should not step on the scale. I am a water retainer... even though I drink plenty, excercise and sleep well. My body retains water around TOM. So my suspicions where correct when I was up 2.4lbs today. Dammit! hahaha I knew better and will avoid the darn scale the next few days. I wish there was a magic pill (not water pills cause those give me craps) that removed the excess water during TOM!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar057/luck02/lb/289/175/277.1/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

NEMom
07-31-2012, 02:32 PM
I have been MIA lately. Super busy in both my regular job and my pt job. I have way over committed myself in terms of the number of hours that I am working at my PT job and it is taking everything I have to make it. A couple more weeks and life will be back to 'normal'.
I have decided to give up my exercise in the moring temporarily. I usually get up at 5:30 to get my exercise in but since it is midnight or later when I am getting home from my PT job I just cannot do it. I am doing my best to keep my food on plan and keep the guilt at bay for not getting my exercise in. I am on my feet and walking when I work my PT job but its not the same.
I am really tired, emotional and witchy right now. It is from over work and lack of sleep. Keep telling myself only two more weeks, I can do it.
Happy Tuesday all!!!

guacamole
07-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Hello, everyone. I have been really busy too and the days just seem to fly by. Got in some bike riding and a walk. My odometer is still broken so I don't know exactly how far I rode, but I think it was about 5-6 miles. I also got in a short walk this morning with my husband - maybe 1 mile. I have a pedometer still in it's box - I just need to find some batteries!

My eating hasn't been great and I really need to get focused again.

NEMom - My exercise is going to go way down next week when my kids are done with camp. I'll probably be really inconsistent with exercising until they go back to school at the end of August. I will say that I lost the majority of my weight not exercising and simply being good with my calorie intake. So, it is possibly for both of us to lose weight even without the exercise. In fact, since I've been exercising this summer I haven't lost any weight - or I've lost and regained the same few pounds. I think it's because I eat my earned "exercise calories" more often then not - exercise makes me super hungry!

I've been thinking that the Ideal Protein people have the right idea about not exercising while you are actively trying to lose weight. When I am eating 1200 calories per day, I do lose and I feel ok if I don't exercise, but if I do exercise, 1200 calories makes me feel weak and shaky. I need to eat between 1600-1800 per day to feel strong when exercising - but then I don't lose anything. It seems to be a tradeoff between fitness and weight loss for me.

sept2012
08-02-2012, 01:18 PM
hahha where did everyone go? This week has flown by. Avoiding scale like the plague only for the next few days. Keeping up on swimming every day. Today I went 1200m. (24 - 50m laps) in 1/2 hourish... my goal is to get to a mile a day which is 35 laps weew... Its gonna take me at least an hour each day to do that so I guess I may have to start swimming in the morning before work and showing at the gym. Not much different from what I am doing now as I get to work and then at 11:30 I go. Oh well I will see how this all plays out. I don't really wanna shake up the routine just yet as I am just getting used to the every day ritual.

Hope you are all well!

Happy almost friday!

guacamole
08-02-2012, 01:31 PM
sept2012 - great job on the swimming! Come and join us in the August 2012 chat thread!

Sheila22
08-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Good Morning Ladies!

145 and 3/4.....I'll take this weight off a quarter pound at a time - I don't care! LOL

Had two veggie sausage patties with a slice of rice cheese for breakfast. Also power walked / ran the trail for 30 minutes...then went to the grocery store - bought lots of fruits and veggies. Kids and I are going to the mall today - school shopping. They are old enough and each are taking a friend that I can just give them money and they go. As for me, I'm going to get a pedicure and manicure in the mall while they shop! And maybe also buy a new piece of clothing - - my size 8 suit I wore this week was almost too big!! :)

Tonight I'm going to roast a big tray of veggies for the week. I've got brocolli, asparagus, yellow squash, baby portabella mushrooms...will just lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, chop them up, throw them on, sprinkle them with garlic powder (and I'm thinking I might spray them with Bragg's cooking spray - it's like a soy sauce)...then bake them at 400 for about an hour (stirring in between) - - it's heavenly!! Yesterday I went to Trader Joe's and bought some Ahi Tuna pieces - - so I'm going to marinate and grill that to go with my veggies.

Tomorrow - cooking day again. :) I'll make a fresh salsa, my veggie taco meat, and I'm going to try making this tuna salad I saw - - basically you use mashed canalleni beans (white kidney beans) instead of mayo and can put celery, onion, etc...in it...we'll see! :)

I'm definitely doing the towpath again tonight - this morning I jogged for two songs - about 6 minutes total. Tonight I'll try for 3 songs...up to 9 minutes....:) I can do it!!!

Have a great day!

Sheila22
08-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Hello everyone - well, I went to the trail this morning, and half way down the trail I saw lightening, then it started thundering and raining - - I sprinted all the way back to my car! LOL Will try again tonight.

Yucky day here - - just cloudy and rainy...and I'm in a "blah" kind of mood. Am going to run to the store to pick up a few things, then spend the rest of the morning in the kitchen cooking.

Tonight I will try the trail again....if not, I'll use my treadmill, but I really like getting outside. My spare bedroom is my exercise room - - I have a mirror on the wall (Just a full size mirror) in front of the treadmill, free weights, resistance bands, an ab roller - - I'm looking at ellipticals for small spaces...definitely want it to be all ready for winter when if it's too cold to go outside.

Definitely need to get in a better mood though! Maybe if I get moving it will snap me out of my funk!

145 and 3/4 again today.