UK Fat Chicks - Big fatty fitness!!!

View Full Version : Big fatty fitness!!!

JoseLo
07-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Hello!
I need some advice because i am dieting but I want to also improve my fitness, for weight loss and also because I am just embarrassingly unfit. Like if I have to walk even 1 flight of stairs I literally can't talk by the top, I am so breathless. Same for gradients, even gentle ones.

I have been doing swimming, trying to build up to twice a week but it isn't helping yet. I don't drive but I have to get a bus, can't do long ways. If it is more than 2 stops absolute maximum, I don't have a chance. It is just BAD, like I am only 20! I try and walk where I cna but it is not much.

How do I begin building up fitness in a managable and non humiliating/public way? I also am not sure I can afford a gym membership

Thank you xxxxx

EricAnn
07-04-2012, 06:50 PM
A couple exercises you could try:

You could try doing some step-ups on the stairs, just slow at first, maybe set a goal for yourself (25 step-ups in 2 minutes) and then the next time, up your steps and lower your time.

You could try couch-stand-up-sit-down-thingys - I don't know what they're actually called (I saw them on Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition). You just sit down on your couch or a chair and stand up, and then do it again, and again. Again, set a goal - 25 in 5 minutes or something.

But walking and swimming are definitely your best bet. Have you been taking swimming fitness classes or just swimming on your own?

Just keep at it, sometimes it can take months to see and feel a difference as your body adjusts to the changes, but eventually it will happen!

JoseLo
07-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I don't think I'm ready for the chair one yet, I can't imagine I could do it without using my arms. But the stepping one sounds good.

The only other worry i have is pains I get in my calves and sometimes knees, I wouldn;t be causing damage would I?

Thanks for the advice anyways :)
xxxx

Marchmallow
07-04-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm so pleased you want to start on your fitness! :D I would suggest walking more, as Ericann says, but strength training is also important as muscle improves exercise endurance as well as burning a lot more fat per pound of muscle!

So, things you can try to build muscle are squats (go as low down as you can, keep good form) for your lower body and use a resistance band, hand weights or even tins of beans for your arms. You can try doing arm presses with the weights even while you watch tv.

If you want to take it a bit further, invest in (or download!) a workout dvd if you need direction like I do. A good gentler pace one, I think, is Davina McCall.

And keep up that swimming! It's toning your entire body while it's burning calories, even if it's not boosting your fitness by that much. Plus, it's fun! :) x

free1
07-04-2012, 07:51 PM
WELCOME....When I started at close to 300 pounds, I wouldn't dare exercise in public. I started with Walk Away The Pounds by Leslie Sansone. It's an at home walking dvd that allows you to pace yourself and is not very strenuous. It was GREAT to start with and something that I could tailor to my fitness level (which was low when I started). You can break it into shorter segments. I really saw results and it really got me ready to move to the next fitness level. I jog now (did 3 and 1/2 miles this morning) and I credit Walk Away The Pounds with getting me started. Some of the DVDs are on YouTube..

All the best to you....YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Cheering you on to goal :)

sonickel77
07-04-2012, 08:22 PM
When I first started losing weight I had a nasty back injury, and dodgy knees, making it very hard to exercise.

I started with walking 10-15 minutes at a time, taping my knees up, with the back brace on, and built it from there.

I never did get very fit, but was eventually able to walk 2 hours a day.....

Most of it's up to diet, anyway.

VibrantThang
07-04-2012, 09:46 PM
First, congrats on taking the first step in changing your overall health for the best!

I to am supremely out of shape and started with 5 minutes at a time using Zumba for my Wii. I was only able to do 5 minutes for the first 2 weeks and am now up to 15 minutes. Not a lot..but it's a heck of a lot more than when I first began.

Someone else mentioned Walk Away the Pounds, that is a wonderful program and you can find videos on YouTube and also cheap dvd's on Ebay or Amazon. I saw some of her older dvd's for less than $10!

No matter what you do...just keep moving! We're gonna get there!

Vibrant :sunny:

JoseLo
07-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Thank you all! I have to stress i am totally not supple of flexible too, I think my body is totally against me! I can't do squats or wii. I can do trying to build some muscle though and definitely i can do waling! I think i will mainly concentrate on walking for now and build it up, see if I can gradually go further. It is actually embarrassing being this unfit!

I remember when I was a teenager I did curcuit training at my sisters gym, she helped me access that. I was like half the pace of everyone else and had to miss some stages but it was OK, I don't know if I could face it now though, like, embarrassing. It was good exercise though.My sister uses the gym quite a bit and is very much encourage me to go sometimes and she will help me with it, but I don't know if I can do it yet. I would like if some day I did, just to please her!

Marchmallow
07-05-2012, 05:35 AM
you're saying you don't know if you can do the gym yet, Jose - what's the only way to find out? Try it! :D You could use the treadmill to do your walking.

mountain walker
07-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Joselo,hooray for you for starting to get a little exercise going. It isn't easy I know,I started at over 25 stone myself. I had to grit my teeth and take painkillers to even get the short distance to take my little boy to school. I would arrive PUCE in the face and puffing and panting. I volunteered to walk with my son's class to swimming lessons little did I know how fast the teacher walked!!
If you have a sympathetic GP discuss your concerns with him/her. Usually the answer is the risks of exercise are far outweighed by the risks of being very overweight. Depends on your general health of course.
Think about Exercise on Prescription as you could access the gym for much less.
Good luck....I am now up to walking rapidly 2.5 mles daily and managed to get to the mountains so you CAN do it!

brvsfan99
07-05-2012, 08:37 AM
:wave: Check out Chris Powell's (EM: Weight Loss Edition) book, Choose to Lose: the 7 day Carb Cycle Solution. It has good starter exerises in it and a nutritional program in it. He starts with the basics of pushups, situps, and squats. Do a little each day and try to do one more the next day, then the next, etc. You will get to the point where you can do them with ease (maybe not complete ease but at least they will get easier.

Good luck and stick with it!

JoseLo
07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Unfortunately I think I am the stage even before basics... there is no way i can do anything that involves supporting or lifting my whole weight like sit ups or press ups, I would BREAK!!!

you're saying you don't know if you can do the gym yet, Jose - what's the only way to find out? Try it! :D You could use the treadmill to do your walking.

Maybeeees. I might ask me sister if she was come with me and reintroduce me... I dunno. She'd jump for joy if I did!!

Thanks for your comments MW and honesty xxx It is hard when you are very big isn't it, exercise wise. :( You have done so so well, very inspirational xxx

I have the doctor tomorrow, might ask about this also.
xxxx

Marchmallow
07-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Do it, Jose! Ask your sister, just get in that gym. Your sister can even help you get started with a regime that you can re evaluate and change every three weeks as your fitness increases and your body gets smaller! ;D!

Let us know how you get on at the doctor! Don't forget to ask her about an NHS programme and some CBT! :)

HappyStack
07-07-2012, 04:02 PM
I saw you've given Wii games a try, which ones, may I ask? I recently bought EA Sports Active 2 for myself, for days when it's pouring down and I can't go for a run outside (which happens to be a lot these days, despite being assured it's the summer!).

You can tailor it to your own needs, which is nice.

But I will agree on the walking. It'll be hard at first, but if weight loss were easy, none of us would be here, willing each other on.

JoseLo
07-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Sorry, I meant I can't do wii... I don't have one and I don't think I could do it. I know they are great for some people though!

I might ask my sister... as much as anything just because it will make her so happyyy!!
xxxx

HappyStack
07-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm hoping it'll kick my butt a little bit when the local footie field is completely waterlogged, haha.

Well, whatever you decide to do, it's a step in the right direction... and it's direction, not speed, that's important :)

tonibobXD
07-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey when i was at uni i lost 8 stone just by putting on the r and b channel n dancing like a fool i had funning laughing at the moves and then once i got healthier n into it i got my friends too join but i was ahead n looked really cool i got too use some of my moves when i went out clubbing and it really boosted my confidence.

JoseLo
08-31-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm back!!!

So, I am starting a class AT A GYM!!!!! It is part of a programme I am doing which involves various weightloss support and the class is only for people doing that, who have been referred there by drs. So, it will be OK in the class. I am nerous about going to a gym at all though. Just the idea of it freaks me out. Everyone will be so much fitter than me and I seems to live in constant worry of getting laughed it, I hope it doesn't happen!! I am sure I feel better after the first time.

Does anyone know what these classes might involves? I hope I don't find it too hard.
xxxx

sue owens
09-01-2012, 09:15 AM
I asked my GP to refer me to the obese clinic at the hospital it was the best thing I ever did. They arranged closed swimming sessions and fitness. I got a prescription to the local gym which I havnt used yet as Im still breathless and access to the dietician. all free

stef
09-01-2012, 09:54 AM
There may be fitter people than you even in the classes, those further along the programme than you. Look at them for inspiration...

I used to teach GP sessions and they were great fun. Hard work but with lots of exercises modified for you.

I was going to suggest starting with exercises across gravity rather than with it, like wall pushups, but go to the classes and see what they offer. You can always come back here and ask for ideas.

Good luck. I am sure you will enjoy the class.

JoseLo
09-01-2012, 10:27 AM
There may be fitter people than you even in the classes, those further along the programme than you. Look at them for inspiration...

I used to teach GP sessions and they were great fun. Hard work but with lots of exercises modified for you.

I was going to suggest starting with exercises across gravity rather than with it, like wall pushups, but go to the classes and see what they offer. You can always come back here and ask for ideas.

Good luck. I am sure you will enjoy the class.
Thanks so much! So you used to teach them? What sort of exercises does it involve? I have neverdone any exercise, except a little swimming, since school (and event then I'd skive more often than not!!) so I just can't imagine what it will involve.
xxxx

kelly315
09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Have you watched extreme makeover fitness edition? It might be worthwhile to see some of what they do on there any do it. One I thought was interesting was just getting down on the ground and getting back up over and over again. It's actually quite difficult to do more than once!

TiffNeedsChange
09-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Most importantly-LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! If something is causing pain in your joints it is possibly damaging them. When working out muscle soreness is normal but not pain. Please be careful! I injured myself when I started a boot camp stylr workout and the effects are permanent. Since you are heavier then high and medium impact exercises are probably not the best for you. No impact and low impact will be best. Swimming 2-3regularly times per week will give you results, combined with sitting and laying exercises. You could ride a recumbent bike. There is a book "Get fit while you sit" that has helped me since I have a foot problem that my weight contributes to. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

stef
09-01-2012, 12:50 PM
You might be surprised at how much and how little classes include.

I used an ever changing set of exercises both in the gym and the aerobics studio. So go expecting absolutely anything and see how it grabs you.

One thing I can promise you - there will be no high impact lepping around :)

All exercises will be aimed at just making you move more and using each joint in a wider range of movement. They may do squats, but you won't be expected to do them like GI Joe.... more like a stick... you know unbending, made of wood, likely to break! So they will be fully modified, maybe even disguised!

I had one client whose tummy prevented any forward bending at all. But if he could be sat on the rower and handed the pulley he could happily move his knees and elbows for about 15 minutes at a time - he used a sort of zimmer frame to get back up again and considered that bit to be part of his lifestyle exercise.

Another lady who feared group exercise went out to a local field with a bean bag and a stunt kite (OK she started witha kitchen stool). She flew that kite for hours, all that twisting at the waist and arm strength!

There are so very many activities you could do! Have fun!