Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #1  
m3k
One LB at a time...

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/160

Height: 5' 6"

Default Going on vacation. Tips?

Next Wednesday I'm leaving for the beach for a long weekend. I've been doing extremely well with workouts and WW, and I admit I'm quite nervous about the excursion.

Right now, I'm still a bit heavy to do any serious running, but I think running on the boardwalk or beach is going to be my only option. Admittedly, running so publicly is a little nerve wracking for me. The best I do right now is a small Zumba class.

I have yet to run outside. Generally, I'm on my elliptical in my living room, which is quite different. I'm doing a couch to 5k program, along with the Zumba cross training.

I don't know that food will really be a problem for me. I love boardwalk fare, but I've been doing very well. I have little desire to eat anything over the top. My guilty pleasure is ice cream, not fried foods. My only concern then is not blowing it if we go out to a restaurant.

Anyone have any good tips on how to keep active and not destroy my diet? Should I make sure to do some outside running before I hit the boards?
m3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #2  
Fatty-atty-umpkin

Height: 5'4"

I wish I had some good advice. We're going to Vegas in September and I'm worried about the same thing. My suggestion would be just to keep yourself busy and active. If you do slip up a bit, just know that it happens and your weight loss is not ruined. Don't be too hard on yourself, and enjoy your long weekend!
kc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #3  
m3k
One LB at a time...

Thanks! We're heading out to Vegas for the second time next year. It's loads of fun, but yes, the city of sin is definitely an easy place to get of track. Haha.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

one thing that worked for me on vacation was to just eat half of everything whenever eating out. I maintained when I did that!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Gosh, I'm in a similar situation. I got back from a two week vacation a month ago and totally blew it. Got right back on track when I returned, but it took a good three weeks to get rid of the cravings.

Now m going on a short trip to CA and am worried. Some of the things I will TRY to do:

1. Keep on track for at least a couple of healthy days. If I do that, then I mitigate any unhealthy days I might have.

2. Exercise daily. Just because I'm not at home doesn't mean I can't keep an exercise routine. I can't do the exact same activities, but I can add some variety I don't normally get in super-hot Texas in the summer, like taking a long walk along the coast and hiking at a nature preserve.

3. I wrote a list of possible places to eat ahead of time that have healthy options, like salads, grilled fish, and healthier sandwich options. I have so many favorite unhealthy places That I used to patronize when I lived out there, but I will try to go to the places I loved...but just the ones with healthy options.

4. Thanks to forum posters, I have decided to fight the temptations. Instead of going to some of the tasty bakeries and getting bear claws, raisin snails, etc., I am going to do everything in my power to not visit those establishments. If I get desperate, I will go with a tempting alternative that's not quite as fat- and calorie-laden, like a turkey bagel sandwich.

Good luck. Hope you have a lot of success and enjoy your vacation.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182.1/ticker/130

Height: 5'6''

One tip that I learned from one of my coworkers, every time she ate out she will request to the waiter to bring her a to-go box with her meal. She would then put half the portion away and ate what was left in her plate. I think it is pretty clever, maybe during vacation you can split with someone? I know it's hard to save food for the next day when you are not at home, but just a thought!

Last edited by Colliea21; 07-04-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Colliea21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #7  
m3k
One LB at a time...

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like some good ideas. I will definitely have to try them.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and this little trip helped me when eating out. Actually, it helps me most of the time when I eat out. I drink lots of water before, during, and after my meal. I find it helps for two reasons: one, it helps me stay full and not overeat. Also, it helps to flush out the salt that most restaurant food is FILLED with. Even if you eat something healthy it still seems like (at least for me) everything is really salty. Plus, water is free! Haha Good luck on the vacation and just remember to enjoy yourself!
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #9  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

So you'll be gone 3-4 days (that's how I interepret "long weekend")? I think you'll be just fine. But I do get that it's easy to lose momentum.

I was just at a beach for a week and lost around a pound. We even ate out 2-3 times.

My advice is to not stress about it. For meals, I ate a lot of salad and fruit (we ate at friends' houses mostly). Or I had mostly plants and a smaller portion of whatever else was being served.

When we went out, I would eat beforehand (usually a large, all veggie salad) and have one slice of pizza or whatever, then eat more plants when I got back. Or, if you want a whole meal, eat lighter (but don't skip meals) for the other meals in your day and have a reasonable portion at the restaurant.

I kept active by walking a lot. I didn't make it official exercise. I would walk to explore, walk on the beach, walk back and forth from where I was staying and the water every time I needed the bathroom, etc. It adds up.

If you want to do official exercise like running outside, I would just do it. It's your vacation, it's your body and health, and you need to do what you need to do for yourself. The other people around you aren't involved. Go for it and have fun!

My trick was to never go hungry and KEEP HYDRATED (very important!), but to focus on fruits and veggies when I ate. Also, I kept very busy and often didn't eat as much as normal. I think that balanced out the small treats I had.

To summarize:

Relax, have fun, hydrate, explore, keep busy, go for it!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #10  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

In your situation I'd avoid the public exercise and instead work on altering my food choices and adding in a few workouts inside (better than being totally sedentary). Think about cutting portions in half if you're at restaurants, avoiding buffets if possible (or at least refusing to get foods you know would trigger you to overeat at them) and drinking lower-cal cocktails (if alcohol is part of your plan).

Best of luck! Don't let weight-loss ruin your fun; keep your plan in mind and use this vacation as a chance to recharge.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #11  
m3k
One LB at a time...

Thanks. That's some awesome advice!

Since we're staying in a house, I'm going to take along some frozen veggies, so that when I do really want to eat, I can cook some up and snack on those. I've had such good losses in the last two weeks, I don't want to spoil it!
Old 08-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/160/135

Height: 5'5

Default Weight loss while traveling tips

Anyone have them? I plan on really watching what I eat and the only exercise option I will have is at home/hotel.
BlackBarbieKiss125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #13  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

I'm no pro at this yet, but I've traveled several times since I started Medifast. My usual "plan" when going away is to get up early and exercise the day I leave, so I'm starting out on track. I usually stay on my eating plan, with a few strategic, planned "cheats". Traveling with Medifast is actually pretty easy - I eat my 5 bars/pretzels/cheese puffs and my 1 "real meal" is readily available at restaraunts (lean protein and low carb veggies). Each day I decide what my cheat will be - a drink with dinner, a kiddie ice cream, whatever it is I REALLY want that day. And I exercise every day I'm gone, even if it's just 20-30 minutes of yoga on my iphone app before bed.

My big challenge will be my upcoming trip to Ireland in November. We walk a lot, but it's usually a 10-day drunkfest, complete with 3am takeaway. The good news is I've lost my alcohol tolerance, so I'll be drinking a lot less than last year.

I think having a plan is crucial. Going in with a "I'm on vaca, screw the diet" attitude is a sure way to gain while you're gone.

Good luck - you can do it!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #14  

Height: 5'2"

what riddy said. shouldn't your hotel have a small gym or pool? most have one or the other, or both.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #15  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Try this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010...hotel-workout/

and make sure to walk a lot. Enjoy yourself but stay within reason. If you're going out to eat then make sure to eat half or less of your meal. It can save you a bit of money actually: go out to dinner, eat half the meal and then eat the other half for lunch instead of going out to eat.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote