30-Somethings - At what weight will/did you start feeling comfortable in photos again?

carbstart
07-03-2012, 02:49 AM
One of my impetuses for losing weight was seeing myself in photos. I didn't recognize myself nor did I realize that I'd gotten that big! I'm finally at a weight where I'm comfortable seeing myself in photos again. It happened earlier than I thought so it's somewhat stalled my weight loss even though I have 11 more lbs to go! If you're not at a photo happy point yet, what weight do you think it will happen for you? Please share!

1) Starting Weight: 173
2) Current Weight: 156
3) Photo Happy Weight: 156
4) Goal Weight: 145

Also, how do you keep up your motivation for losing weight when you're "close enough" to your goal?

CanadianMomma
07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
I find it depends on the picture. I was tagged in some pictures yesterday on facebook and was THRILLED to see that I didn't look like a elephant next to my tiny mother. I was expecting to and because I didn't I was happy with the picture lol. Not that I don't look fat, just that I don't look HUGE.

Aunrio
07-04-2012, 07:41 PM
I am two inches shorter but was happy at around the same weight.

caramelkitty
07-04-2012, 10:23 PM
1) Starting Weight: 220
2) Current Weight: 148
3) Photo Happy Weight: 160
4) Goal Weight: 135

Its crazy now I just wanna be in all the pictures! lol It's almost annoying to my fiance when I keep asking him to take my pic :p

RVAscreenwriter
07-13-2012, 03:36 PM
1) Starting Weight: 197
2) Current Weight: 181
3) Photo Happy Weight: 165
4) Goal Weight: 142

I am so annoyed with seeing photos of myself, right now! My fiance is overweight, too, and neither of us take photos, if we can help it. Photo awkwardness is what helps me to stay focused on my goal, as sad as that is!

COchick
07-13-2012, 06:18 PM
I haven't had my pic taken in so long, I'm not sure. I think I might need another 10lbs before I feel okay about it, though.

packgirl
07-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Certainly not yet! Who knows when (if) I'll ever be. Right now, I still see photos and get ughed out because I look a lot bigger in photos than I do in my head!

love2hike
07-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Finally now! I look at recent photos of mysef and finally recognize who I am looking at instead of thinking "that looks off" as I did when I was fat. Mostly it is my face that finally looks normal to me.

RVAscreenwriter
07-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Certainly not yet! Who knows when (if) I'll ever be. Right now, I still see photos and get ughed out because I look a lot bigger in photos than I do in my head!
I really hope that you become comfortable with seeing yourself at some point. Isn't that one of the things that you're working for, in losing weight? :^:

Wheresmychin
07-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Seeing myself in a family photograph is what finally motivated me to change my lifestyle.
I hated it when Friends tagged me on facebook, but look forward to seeing a picture and seeing the thin me again.

It is what is keeping me motivated!

packgirl
07-14-2012, 06:39 PM
RVA--yes, it is something I'm working for. I just think I look a lot better in my head and in the mirror than in a picture. lol We'll see!

shadows
09-07-2012, 02:29 AM
A couple months ago my niece who lives with me graduated from grade 8, lots of family came down and we did pictures at the lake,I never have my picture taken and after seeing how many chins i had i never want another one to be taken, I want change but i just don't have will power. :( Help me please

kelly315
09-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Anything below 175 and I loved being in pictures- there were still some of them that made me look a bit chubby, but most of them were cute.

kelly315
09-07-2012, 08:34 AM
A couple months ago my niece who lives with me graduated from grade 8, lots of family came down and we did pictures at the lake,I never have my picture taken and after seeing how many chins i had i never want another one to be taken, I want change but i just don't have will power. :( Help me please

My best advice is to stay around 3fc and absorb/engage with others as much as you can. There are a lot of people on here who know a LOT about weight loss, and we should be able to help you. Try the introduction section at first, if you want to explain your story and ask for support.

alaskanlaughter
09-08-2012, 11:34 PM
i was comfortable with photos when i got down to about 200, from a starting point of 230...apparently i carry my weight well and have heavy bones (a doctor told me that about my bones, very low risk of osteoporosis apparently)...anyhow 200 was the start of good photos that i'm happy with

i'm right about 190 now and i'm still good with photos...i especially like my face since it's gone from very round to an oval/leaner look...it's interesting, i've never seen my face like this before lol

faunaflora
09-12-2012, 09:34 PM
I think I won't feel 100% comfortable till I'm at 165, but even then it would depend on the angle LOL. I'd love to not have bulges on my stomach when I sit down.

jenjulia
09-27-2012, 07:16 PM
1) Starting Weight: 234
2) Current Weight: 183 (this afternoon)
3) Photo Happy Weight: 190
4) Goal Weight: 158-163

Fatness
09-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Even though I am fat; I have always love taking photos and since I been losing weight I take more photos!

heathermichigan
09-28-2012, 12:19 AM
I am guessing I will willingly take pictures when I am around 200. But I'd feel better if I'm even lower!

ChickieBoom
10-24-2012, 01:25 PM
It's weird that when I was on my way up, I would have hated taking pictures at my current weight. Now that I'm on the way down...I don't mind it as much as long as the angle is flattering. I think I'll probably start getting really comfortable at about 175-180?

OhThePlaces
10-24-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm hovering around 140 and at this point I'm "okay" with having photos taken. At 130 I feel much happier with most pictures I see of myself. When I was in the 170s I avoided cameras like the plague!

ControlW
10-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Starting Weight: 231 lb
Current Weight: 169 lb
Photo Happy Weight: 200 lb
Goal Weight: 169 lb

I always joked that I follow the airplane rule, but it's really pretty reasonable: I am comfortable having my picture taken when I am at a weight that people wouldn't mind sitting next to me on an airplane. And 200 pounds is coincidentally the point where the "looks" coming from fellow passengers start. Also, I do have to say that there was a huge difference in how I looked at around 180 pounds. It's like all the fat in my face disappeared in a week and a half. That was the point when I started clawing my way into photographs, including at times those of people I don't know ;-).

sevencallmemom
10-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Starting weight: 323 (wouldn't get in front of the camera at all till 302, the "before" side of my avi, and I only did it to get a before pic)
Current weight: 174
Photo happy weight: I'm still not completely ok with it, but the "current" side of my avi was at 186
Goal weight:150ish?

RaisingThemLeft
11-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Starting weight: 193
Photo happy weight: 155
Goal weight: 135

I don't carry my weight well when I'm heavy. I get a very chubby face and I hate the way that looks in photos.

Radiojane
11-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Starting weight: 435
Current Weight: 367
Photo Happy Weight: I'm thinking 325. I'm getting close to liking what I see now. (and by that I mean photos I can tell I've lost weight in. I'm a long way from ready for my closeup).

Any one else considered professional pics once you hit goal? I'm vain I guess, but I feel like I've never had a truly good picture taken

11-20-2012, 04:06 PM
I used to hate photos and seeing myself looking so huge in pics was definitely a motivation for me to lose weight.

I had some pics taken this weekend and I have never felt so good about the way I look in a photo before. I am so happy with them :D

I still have weight to lose, but I'm much happier with myself.

I take lots of pics of my own to document journey. I love looking back at them and drawing comparisons.

Edit: Ooops, I'm not in my 30's. Sorry!

Enilorac
11-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Current/start weight 198lb (thats a heck of a lot of weight)
I put weight round my tummy so as long as it doesn't poke out as much as it does now (I actually look pregnant lol) then I'm ok.
My ideal weight would be 154 or less so think I'll be ok with pic being taken then...

FitTambone
11-21-2012, 03:39 AM
My starting weight was around 210
My current weight is 161
My goal weight is 140

I had a weird experience tonight with photos. Was wearing a dress I thought I looked pretty in, but when my friend took some photos of me (for an online dating profile...gulp...) I didn't like my face. Was overwhelmed by my nose, my gummy smile, I looked older... I don't have my weight to blame it on now (to answer your earlier question, I think I starting feeling better about photos around 180) but I really don't like my looks. I think I equated being thin(ner) with being beautiful, and tonight that felt very, very far from what I'll ever be. As I'm writing now I'm realizing my self-hate has just shifted from weight to something else. This is a journey, isn't it? Oh brother.

Thousandsunny
11-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I'll be honest (because hey, venting helps, right?!) I have never and I don't think I will ever be comfortable in photos. I pick myself apart in photos; my chin, my cheeks, my neck, my thighs. I compare myself to the other people in the photo ("omg I'm so much bigger than everyone, I stick out..." etc etc) and I don't know if that will ever go away. It drives the guys I date nuts, I never let them take picture or I have to "okay" them after they're taken and then delete them if they're not (they rarely are...) Am I annoyed by this? Sure, I wish I would take a photo and be happy, but I constantly critique myself and pictures just give me a stationary target to go at.

Edit: Hope I didn't sound to negative, I just basically have always disliked photos. I do hope it changes!

SunnySide99
11-28-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm just getting to the point where I'm comfortable taking photos. At my heaviest I used to cringe at my double chins, chubby cheeks and no neck. Now I barely recognize myself. It's really strange, but it's been a long time sense I've felt this good. I still have a dress size or 2 to go, but I am very happy with my body.

I haven't weighted myself in over 1 month, but here are my stats:

Starting Weight/Size: 254 lbs/20 going on 22
Current Size: 12
Goal Size 10 or an 8

the shiv
12-13-2012, 04:20 PM
I'd say 150. I've got some good ones from the way up around 170, but they were hit or miss. 150 was the last time I remember looking consistently half decent in photos! I'm looking forward to being in pics again... I look forward to the day when someone shows me a photo I'm in and instead of thinking... "ugh. What have you DONE to yourself?!", I think... "nice dress!". I don't want to even notice my weight.

Fluffypuppy
12-13-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't know but Im not there. Obviously. I don't have any pictures in-between 130 (upper goal and former weight) and now (166) because when I gained it happened really fast. Christmas means lots of pictures. Ugh. I try not to be a bummer when people want to take pictures though. I tell myself if they want to take my picture they must like me so what I look like is not the most important factor.

pinkflakes
12-15-2012, 03:53 AM
I have not reached it yet...but 140.

Learning 2 Live
12-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Well I've never felt comfortable in pictures. In fact yesterday I nearly fell out of my chair and onto the floor trying to make a mad dash to the other room when I spotted someone attempting to take a candid photo of me and someone else while we were talking. Heck you would have thought that a bomb went off in the room from the way I jump/dive-rolled into the hallway.

But using the powers of imagination. I should be happy around ... 165?

Mozzy
01-03-2013, 04:05 PM
SW: 242
CW:216-217
GW: 145

I was happy with pics at about 175-180

Skinnygirldreams
01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Starting weight: 435
Current Weight: 367
Photo Happy Weight: I'm thinking 325. I'm getting close to liking what I see now. (and by that I mean photos I can tell I've lost weight in. I'm a long way from ready for my closeup).

Any one else considered professional pics once you hit goal? I'm vain I guess, but I feel like I've never had a truly good picture taken

i actually like the idea of getting professional pictures done. It'd be great to reward yourself with something like that I think... Hopefully mine will be engagement photo's by the time I get to my goal weight! haha

angiemama
01-29-2013, 08:04 PM
1) Starting Weight: 225
2) Current Weight: 186
3) Photo Happy Weight: 155
4) Goal Weight: 135

I'm sure I'll be even happier in my photos at 135, but when I was 155 I never wanted the same photo taken over and over again to make me look halfway decent. At 155 I never really thought about sucking it in, positioning my chin just right, etc.

elvislover324
01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Well I've never felt comfortable in pictures. In fact yesterday I nearly fell out of my chair and onto the floor trying to make a mad dash to the other room when I spotted someone attempting to take a candid photo of me and someone else while we were talking. Heck you would have thought that a bomb went off in the room from the way I jump/dive-rolled into the hallway.

^^^^^^ This is totally me.

So not photogenic at all, no matter what my weight (just seem to catch the camera the wrong way every single time). And I have people in my family who thinks it's fun to mail out pictures after functions that they took there (posed or not...) so it's like getting depression delivered in the mail weeks after. I know they mean well but seeing my ugliness and knowing there are 2 copies and I only have one makes me sad.

chubbiegurl
01-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Elvislover I have cousins that have proffesional cameras they snap away at every moment and I get tagged on Facebook. I never post full body pictures on Facebook, I am too embarrassed of my weight but my cousins just think they r being nice posting and tagging away. I think I would feel okay with pictures now as long as I know they r being taken so I can suck my gut in

BeachBreeze2010
01-31-2013, 04:52 PM
Starting weight: 225
Current Weight: 161
Photo Weight: 150
Goal Weight: probably 135, not sure 145 for now

It depends on the picture, if it's just me and my upper half, I've been okay with it since about 175, but if it's with other (skinny) people or full body, then definitely not yet - probably in another 10lbs. If it's bathing suit, it might not be until goal weight or not even then! I HATE having my picture taken if I can't control it precisely!!

Learning 2 Live
02-01-2013, 12:23 PM
^^^^^^ This is totally me.

So not photogenic at all, no matter what my weight (just seem to catch the camera the wrong way every single time). And I have people in my family who thinks it's fun to mail out pictures after functions that they took there (posed or not...) so it's like getting depression delivered in the mail weeks after. I know they mean well but seeing my ugliness and knowing there are 2 copies and I only have one makes me sad.

LOL Depression in the mail? That's gotta be horrible. Do you enjoy yourself at these family functions?

BTW... That same night that I had the picture snafoo, there was a SLIDE SHOW PRESENTATION!!!! The pictures were taken of me months ago, when I was only down about 8 pounds from my highest weight. There I sat, fricken mortified!!! Cuz you know, every time someone wanted to stop paging through the pictures to talk that it was stuck on one with me and my fat arse. I swear to Gawd that one of the pictures had my buttcrack showing cuz the pants couldn't handle my fat when I sat down. I was so thoroughly embarrassed that I have no idea to this day what the presenter said. I was focused on those horrible pictures. Pictures that took up the entire projector screen!!!

Public embarrassment sucks!

elvislover324
02-01-2013, 12:38 PM
LOL Depression in the mail? That's gotta be horrible. Do you enjoy yourself at these family functions?

Of course I do! But I don't want any evidence...

I lost out on so much in my life being heavy and embarrassed. I'm never living like that again, no matter how many years I have left.

FickleHearts
02-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I went to Italy on a school trip about 10 years ago and had just lost 40 lbs. I weighed 170 and all my pics from that time look pretty dang good!!!!

ChickieBoom
02-01-2013, 03:18 PM
I only like headshots I take of myself. I was out with some friends a couple of weeks ago and when I saw the photos they'd taken, I still looked huge. I can definitely see the difference in my face but I'm not interested in seeing my body on camera anytime soon. Doesn't help that my weight loss has slowed down dramatically.

oppscdaizy
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
1) Starting Weight: 186
2) Current Weight: 175.5
3) Photo Happy Weight: 160
4) Goal Weight: 145

I think that at 160 most of my tummy would be gone and I would look ok in photos. My goal is to be there before we go to the beach at the end of June (I'd love to be at goal) so that I can have some beach pictures with my son without being ashamed.

seabiscuit
02-20-2013, 04:16 PM
photos never really lie even though there is some crazy saying that the camera adds a few pounds, who knows if that is true or not...

I grew up with my Dad always snapping photos of my brother and I so I don't tend to shy away from the camera but I do tend to get upset when I don't like what I see in the reflection in the mirror or in the photo. I was just in a photo with my boyfriend a few weeks ago and it came out great! I think I have gained a few pounds since then but I am working on that and I am starting to realize that weight is only a number, it's more about the relationship that I have with myself and loving, accepting myself for me, not for the number on the scale. :)

wish me luck getting on the scale in about an hour at the family doc, yikes!

:p

ChickieBoom
02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
I only like the pictures that I take myself. I can always find the most flattering angle.

I haven't taken any group photos in a couple of months but I won't pretend that I'm looking forward to not being the biggest person in the picture.

curlysue82
02-20-2013, 04:35 PM
180 i was happy with my pictures..
now at 188 not so much , i can always see the bulge or the double chin,

i also can't wait til i don't have to stand behind people.. aka if theres 4 of us and 2 are sitting ill stand behind so half my body is covered....
grrrr can't wait to lose this half stone... and more...