Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Onederland feels as though it's so far away

I'm going through a blah phase right now with my weight loss. I'm staying on plan with my eating and I'm working out, but I feel entirely discouraged about the outstanding amount of weight I have yet to lose to get to my mini-goal of 220lbs, followed by Onederland, and eventually the 50-60lbs I'll have remaining once I hit onederland. Right now I'm mostly just focused on getting to 220... I really, really want it to come like.. yesterday.

Ugh. For those of you who have lost a significant amount of weight, how did you keep trekking on day in and day out? It seems as though it's going to take forever to get to even 220lbs, and even though I realize it won't it's such a discouraging feeling.

I know it took time to put the extra weight on and it takes time to burn it off (I've been around the block several times with weight loss). I'm just having one of those periods and would appreciate any encouragement anyone can offer. Thanks so much.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #2  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

Looking at the big picture can be daunting. Focusing on the smaller goals give you a chance to be successful sooner, and being successful is really motivating.

I've been down this road several times myself so I know it's easy to get discouraged. Having some sort of venue to express that (friends, family , 3FC) is helpful, I think. The trick is to maintain an overall positive attitude.

You can do it. As people here often say, the time is going to go by anyway so you might as well keep working at your plan. Good luck!
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 304/207.2/150

Height: 5'5

Beautifulone (by the way I love the name) I have good amount to love and I'm taking it on 10lbs at the time last month I was working on the 260s and as of yesterday I'm working on the 250s. Yes, I had set a goal to be at 250 by the beginning of July but that didn't happen. But When I get there and I will get there it is going to be soo sweet. Then I will move on to the next 10lbs. All you can worry about is the right now.
Meka150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #4  
Started over 4/29/12

Just like Meka150 I'm taking it 10 lbs at at time. I keep working on the next set of numbers. I'm not looking at the big picture. Every time I did that I would get discouraged and if I slip up I'd give up. Now I just look at that next set of numbers and it's much easier.
time2loseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #5  
loving my beautiful self

Thanks ladies. I know I need to take it day by day if I want to stay sane, it's just so hard to do some days when the weight I'm at is still fairly uncomfortable. And I struggle at focusing on the "now".

I'm sorry for complaining! I've been feeling down about this for a while; I think I need to get it off my chest and out of my system. The time does pass, so I may as well use it productively. Thank you all for the reminder!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #6  

Hey Beautifulone! I know exactly what you mean. I've lost a lot of weight in the past, and it's this period that is consistently the hardest for me. No one is noticing (including me!), and this time, the scale even seems to be moving incredibly slowly. I'm doing the mini-goals, but it still seems so hard.

What I'm trying to focus on right now is the really positive things that are happening because of my efforts. I went to an amusement park with my kids on Friday, and had no problem keeping up with them--even when they were running. I have a huge problem eating beyond where I'm comfortable when I'm not on plan. If it was there, I found myself obsessively thinking about it until ALL of it was gone. When I'm on plan, I find myself craving fresh fruits and vegetables, and being able to enjoy tasty, fattening things in small doses. And if there's something in the fridge that's just "calling to me," I throw it away without a second thought. Plus, my pants felt a little bit loose this morning.

Nothing happening too fast, but I'm trying to embrace the lifelong aspect of this. Choosing every day to make my life just a little bit better, and to enjoy those days. Hopefully, soon enough, I'll hit some mini-goals, and be able to fit into some of my old clothes that I love. Until then, I'm trying to embrace the amazing things this journey brings.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #7  

I know exactly how you feel. I can't even imagine being under 220 much less in Onederland. My goal weight... that's just a fairytale to me.

HOWEVER I CAN imagine myself being 10 pounds lighter so that's what I am doing this time. Maybe one day I'll be that princess in a fairytale but for today I am keeping the 10 pound goal in front of me and that's all that matters.
CurvyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #8  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I know how you feel. I felt that way at 270, 250, 220......etc. The pound you are on always feels like it's lasting weeks and weeks at a time. You WILL get there, and you'll feel like WOW, that didn't take any time at all!

Even if it takes you a year or more to get down to where you want to be, imagine what it would be like if you gave up. You'd be the same size or bigger and yet the same amount of time has passed.

Little things help get through it - trying on new clothes, looking at before/after pictures (not just mine! everyones!) and taking measurements seemed to help me.

Last edited by Vex; 07-03-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/145

Height: 5'9"

I have also struggled with feeling like the goal is very far away. And 221 is my next goal, which would be a 50 lb. loss.

Sometimes it feels like I'm doing pretty well. But then I look and see that I've only lost 20 lbs in the past year and that feels like not a lot of progress. But even at that rate I'll be below 200 lbs by next summer.

One of the things that helps me is by seeing how much better things are at this midpoint in my journey -- I don't have to get all the way to goal for things to continue to improve.
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Once you get the concept of "forever" in your mind, I really think it gets easier. This is the way it is. This is the way we each have to live to stay healthy. It just IS. Once I got that in my head, it was a breeze to stay on plan and to maintain after losing. You'll get there.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

HI! I'm only 2 weeks, 10 pds into this and at 269 onderland, let alone 139 looks like well, at 61 I wonder if i'll see onderland or the pearly gates 1st.LOL!
What I decided to do yesterday is start a 100 day challenge and count backwards 100-99-98 days to go on this just staying on my calorie-exercise plan. Just to see what it feels like to count down from 100. Maybe you'd like to join me? It all started with a book another threader talks about every day called " 100 Days of weightloss" . Hang in here!

Last edited by healthyginger; 07-06-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: sorry wasn't paying attention to spelling
healthyginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #12  
loving my beautiful self

Thanks so much ladies! It helps to be reminded of all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyginger View Post
HI! I'm only 2 weeks, 10 pds into this and at 269 onderland, let alone 139 looks like well, at 61 I wonder if i'll see onderland or the pearly gates 1st.LOL!
What I decided to do yesterday is start a 100 day challenge and count backwards 100-99-98 days to go on this just staying on my calorie-exercise plan. Just to see what it feels like to count down from 100. Maybe you'd like to join me? It all started with a book another threader talks about every day called " 100 Days of weightloss" . Hang in here!
I will give this thought. It sounds neat! Thanks!

Last edited by beautifulone; 07-07-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #13  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

When I'm feeling really blah and discouraged I set smaller mini-goals like 5 lbs or even these days, 2 lbs. When the whole weight loss business seems daunting those can seem like smaller, more reachable achievements, especially if you can build in treats to go with these mini, mini goals like going to the movies or a manicure or a beauty item.

Also, nothing helps me feel like one of "those healthy people" like a work out. Whether a workout video or a run, I always feel like I'm making a real effort and it always encourages me to make better food decisions. (Especially if I'm tracking my workouts and calorie usage).

100+ lbs is a lot and it may feel daunting but if you keep plugging away, you'll make it. Just stick to it. If you're tired, stop and try to maintain for a while. If you're not losing, try not to gain. It will be practice for the rest of your life. Stay on 3FC, eventually you'll find motivation to continue and you'll be able to pick up from where you left off. This is not a race, it is not a competition with anyone or even yourself. The weight wasn't gained in one minute so it certainly won't be lost in that time. If you keep on, eventually the weight will come off. Don't be discouraged. You can do it!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #14  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedsmoke View Post
When I'm feeling really blah and discouraged I set smaller mini-goals like 5 lbs or even these days, 2 lbs. When the whole weight loss business seems daunting those can seem like smaller, more reachable achievements, especially if you can build in treats to go with these mini, mini goals like going to the movies or a manicure or a beauty item.

Also, nothing helps me feel like one of "those healthy people" like a work out. Whether a workout video or a run, I always feel like I'm making a real effort and it always encourages me to make better food decisions. (Especially if I'm tracking my workouts and calorie usage).

100+ lbs is a lot and it may feel daunting but if you keep plugging away, you'll make it. Just stick to it. If you're tired, stop and try to maintain for a while. If you're not losing, try not to gain. It will be practice for the rest of your life. Stay on 3FC, eventually you'll find motivation to continue and you'll be able to pick up from where you left off. This is not a race, it is not a competition with anyone or even yourself. The weight wasn't gained in one minute so it certainly won't be lost in that time. If you keep on, eventually the weight will come off. Don't be discouraged. You can do it!
Thank you! This is something I really needed to hear.