Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default July Chat

picking right up where we left off...Hope, I hope you hear back about the interviews. And I think it was crummy of the guy to 'interview' you while he was driving! how could he give you his full attention. Wiener.

Yes, this is a very slow thread I know I allow days and days to go by, not good. I truly don't think of being here when I'm feeling good..and I'm soooo fortunate that I have been feeling good for a long time now. I really should make an effort, because it does feel like a lifeline when I need it!! thanks to you all
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #2  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

Vermont, I knew eventually you would stop by. I've really enjoyed your posts and input over the past few months/years. I think we are the longest remaining people here. I miss the old timers so much. Buddly, still thinking of you often...I really enjoy the newbies too but it's so rare that they stick.

Today was a hungry day. I just couldn't get enough to eat for some reason. I ate lunch maybe 1/2 hr after breakfast. I've been snacking off and on all day and DF still isn't here. I keep fighting myself from calling him and asking how much longer, I need to eat dinner. I just had a spoonful of peanut butter hoping the protein will have some effect. Ahh, he just texted, I'm saved, lol.

My mood is up and down. I'm lucky that it hasn't been constantly down. I'm doing fairly well given the roller coaster of emotions caused by losing my job.
I feel kinda lucky for that.
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #3  
Biker Chick!

Hope, I'm very glad that you are not constantly down, that would be awful but totally understandable, given the job loss situation.

I hope you're having dinner by now!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 179/172/150

Height: 5'4"

Vermont and Hope ~ I'm interested in your thread since I too have problems with depression. It is somewhat under control now, but I've had some tough times! Emotional eating and being tired are some of the symptoms, so of course there is weight gain.
My 31 year old DD recently offered to become my "diet buddy." We email each other reports each night...also a good way to keep up with what's going on in our lives. BTY, she has problems with depression too, as does our DS. DD who lives in Australia is not clinically depressed, but she sure has 'mood swings.'

Nature or nuture? Probably both. (It's a running argument in medical circles, so who am I to say?) My DF had problems...

Blessings to you both today. I hope that your weather is cooler than ours--heat index of 99.

Rose Centered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #5  
Starting Again

Rose, so glad that you joined us. I think it's great that you and your daughter are working together on weight loss. Having a buddy can make it so much easier than going it alone. Depression runs in my family too. I know of several who suffer with it and some that won't admit it. The weather here isn't any better than yours. It was 99 degrees here today. It's supposed to be 100 tomorrow, 102 by Saturday. I was outside part of the day mowing the yard. I had to take a few breaks because of the heat just to cool down. If not I would begin to feel nauseous. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Mowing the yard, cooking dinner, and cleaning up afterward is about all that I got accomplished today. Of course when you are prone to immobilizing depression that can feel like quite a bit, lol, so I feel pretty good that I could have layed on the couch all day but I didn't. I have several things to do on my to-do list tomorrow. I'm working on getting my house clean while I have the time before I get a job. (Gosh I hope I get a call soon from my interviews.) I also need to set up a cable company appointment and a couple of dr visits. I hope I wake up with the energy and will to do it all.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #6  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Mind if I join in? I too suffer from depression and also anxiety. I seem to have trouble with weight loss and/or dieting as well. It never seems like I can find a buddy to do it with me. My sister always says she will but then she'll back out on me. I'm so glad I found this site and these forums. Hopefully I will get the support and buddies that I need.

brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #7  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Popping in - Vermont is right, I need to be more diligent in popping in here as well. I don't visit here as often when I'm feeling well (or when I'm doing bad dietarily) - which has been both as of late.

Hope, good luck, I hope you hear something from the interviews as well. And you did get quite a bit done. :-) Cheers to the small victories. Especially mowing a yard...yikes....

Rose, stay cool! It's amazing that it's hotter up north than it is down here in Dallas.

Welcome brvsfan!

Me - well I had been doing well, but I had a bad day yesterday. I felt really lonely and I really feel like I have no friends, probably because of the holiday (holidays tend to have me at one extreme or the other, really happy or really sad). Most of the friends I've made since I've been here have turned out to be duds, and because I don't really "feel" most of them, I start looking at myself and wondering if it's me that's the problem. I am feeling better today though.

I promise to be more diligent about popping in here.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 07-05-2012 at 03:07 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #8  

Hi July Chat Friends! It's nice to meet y'all. I am very optimistic about being part of this supportive network. Being overweight is bad enough, but it not as bad as suffering from depression. I don't think that it is easy to get through this stuff w/o friends who understand where you are.

Hope ~ I cannot believe you were out mowing yesterday! I can't think of anything that would have kept me outdoors more than 5 minutes. I'm a real baby about the heat; I would have a tough time living w/o A/C. At any rate, you not only mowed the lawn but also cooked and cleaned up after dinner...!

brvsfan ~ I hope that you find the support and friendship with 3FC that I have. I've had fun with the "games" forum. Not very stressful mentally, just fun!

grneyed ~ holidays can be hard, and it's not easy to find friends you can really connect with. You're not the problem! Folks all have such different personalities that it can be hard to find someone that 'gets you.' How long have you lived in Dallas?

Me ~ things are going average for me--not too bad, but not great. Paperwork is taking over the kitchen room table. I'm the one responsible for DH's and my bills, etc; my mother is no longer able to take care of her finances (which aren't complicated), and we are also in charge of our son's finances (long story). I'm actually months behind in my reconciling--total of 5 checking accounts + charge cards.

Have a good Friday and weekend. I hope to hear from y'all soon!

Rose

Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #9  
Starting Again

Wow, people are posting! I guess I had better too.

Rose, paper work on the kitchen table, it's the bane of my existence. There is a pile on mine that has been there since before I was laid off. One of my first thoughts when I lost my job was 'well, I guess I'll have time now to clear that off'. Yeah, not yet. It's now been a little over 2 months. Ridiculous.

Brvsfan, welcome. I have dieted sooo many times, sometimes with a buddy, sometimes not. This is a good place to get constant support if you don't have somebody to go through the struggle with. I'm here now but haven't been in the right place mentally to do anything about my weight in a while. You will find the full spectrum on here.

Mustang, good to see you again. I do the same, come and go, especially if I'm not doing well with weight loss. But as I just said, I haven't done well in a while but have had bouts with my depression and that keeps me coming back. I always say that making friends as an adult is really hard. It's hard to meet people and harder to make the time to really get to know someone because we all become so busy.

Vermont, I figure you are probably working this weekend. Did you get the fourth off?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #10  
Biker Chick!

Hey, hi everyone! welcome to Rose and brvsfan

Rose, wow, 5 checking accounts to handle?? yikes. You get points for that alone! Nice to have you here, it really does help to know that one's 3FC friends are always here. I hope you get some relief from the heat, or have you already? Wow, Australia is so far away, you must miss your DD, nice that you two are going to be diet buddies.

brvstfan, hi to you too you can count on all of us to be diet buddies!

GEM - Hi girl I'm sorry you were feeling friendless, that sucks that the friends you thought you had turned out to be duds. You just havent' found the right people yet, I'd want to hang with you!! So you're feeling okay besides that, I hope?

Hey Hope I know it was days ago, but yay to you for the productive day you wrote about. Heck yeah, we can count any task as a victory. I'm sorry you are suffering in the heat, up here we are so very fortunate to have not been part of that. Guess we make up for it with our winters. I'm remembering several epic snowfalls right now, lol.

yes I have to work every weekend, and on the Fourth, I worked from 7 am to 1 pm at one job, then went to the other from 2 to 6. Oh well

I am still loving my summer job but by now is when my co-worker is irritating the crap out of me. It's a matter of me not feeling confident enough to tell him PLEASE stop talking out loud and chattering about nothing, while I am concentrating and measuring. And he makes his daily work the whole kitchen's problems by being vocally anxious about it. Does this make sense to you all Basically I just need to turn around and say Please Shut It, lol. Is that acceptable??

Other than that things are good. DH is good to me, the house is still always a wreck and I am always the one to see that the kitchen garbage is full and is stinky, and I seem to be the only one who can turn on the vacuum cleaner. But he does all the food shopping and cooking so I am very lucky for that. And I'm in bliss about my yard and deck and our little veggie garden and the flowers and of course my motorcycle

well I need to get ready for work, strawberry/blueberry shortcake for 107 tonight is the biggie on my to do list. Have a good day everyone and thanks for your friendship
Old 07-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #11  
One Day at a Time

S/C/G: 227/156/149

Height: 5'7"

Default Saturday

Sometimes, people can be so clueless! Last night, DH and I were at a music show and the man right behind us, starting talking on the phone - well, more like shouting as he was trying to talk over the music. I finally turned around and said, as sweetly as I could, "I think you will need to take that call outside, please." Your coworker may not realize he is disturbing you so. If not and he is still yacking, you have every right to gently ask him to stop. You are there to work, not here his life story.

I have been struggling - have been in three times to see my doc to see if he can adjust my meds. I have had a lot of sadness and I think it has to do w all the changes in my life - I feel weird, because some of the changes have been totally awesome and I think I should be much happier than I am. So, I am putting myself in the mindset of one day at a time. This is a good thread - I am really glad to see others opening up as well.

Have a great weekend
princessbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #12  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Princess keep going at one day at a time. I also find that that is the easiest, and probably healthiest, way for me. I'm sorry that you are having so many problems with your meds. I went throgh points like that as well. Thankfully I am at a point where my meds seem to be at the right level. I still have my "episodes" but I notice those are when I am bored and/or not very active. Have you tried just taking a walking. Many times even a short one helps me for a little while. I've also done free association writings. I just take a notebook to a quiet place and start writing down words. Looks like chicken scratch by the time I am done. That's ok because no one will see it unless you want them too. Hang in there!
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #13  
Starting Again

For the last couple of evenings I've had some big mood swings. For a couple of hours it almost feels like it did before I was on meds years ago. Last night I felt like crying, tonight I felt really really frustrated and just wanted to scream. It felt like I could jump out of my skin. Both feelings went away after a couple of hours but it was annoying. I hate being out of control of my feelings or at least having no reason to have them.

Rose, I cleaned off half of the kitchen table today! Hopefully I will finish it, lol.

Vermont, in that situation I usually say something in front of everyone that is non-threatening, maybe kind of funny to bring it up but ease the situation. Something in a nice but sarcastic voice like 'Dude, you're making me stress so much about your job that I can't concentrate to even measure my ingredients. Hey, if you keep walking the rest of us through your job, do we get part of your paycheck?' That's stupid I know but you get what I'm saying.

Hope you all had a good Saturday. Tomorrow I have to work at my part-time job. Ick, not in the mood.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #14  

Princess ~ I know what a roller coaster ride it is trying to find meds that help. I hope that you find something or a combination of somethings soon.

Brvsfan ~ Good suggestion about the walking. I find that I feel better after a short walk too. We bought a treadmill a year ago, and are actually still using it. Friends told me that it becomes a "clothes hanger" before 6 months are up, but when I actually take time in the AM to use it, my day (usually) is a little better. Music is a must for me, inside; outside I like to hear the birds, etc, and I think it's safer w/o headphones.

Holly/Cupcake ~ Coworkers can be so frustrating! I wish they'd all go home and let me work in peace.
I find it hard to say something when I'm annoyed, and after frustration builds up it's impossible for me to be tactful. Your "friend" would be lucky if he didn't get a face full of flour from me.

Hope ~ I'm thinking positive thoughts for you to help get in the 'right mental spot' to get back on track. I've spent most of my adult life (if not all) flip flopping from being careful about what I eat to throwing in the towel and saying "who cares"?

GEM ~ How are things going for you?

Me ~ Same ol' same ol' here. Sometimes I feel like I have one leg in the 'pit' and the other in a flower bed, if that makes sense.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #15  
on a journey

Hello friends. I suffer from bi-polar but the depression end of it is what really gets to me. I also struggle with anxiety badly. The meds help me a great deal but I know there are things I must do on a daily basis to keep my butt moving in the right direction.

If you don't mind, I would like to join the thread and post regularly.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote