Exercise! - JULY RUNNING - Feeling HOT HOT HOT!

lm3898
07-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Hello all! Sorry about the delay with the new thread I was at a wedding all weekend in VA!

Due to the unbearable heat, I went back to treadmill running while I was there which I have come to HATE! So, to make it better, I broke up my runs on Friday and Saturday with sprints, weight lifting breaks etc. So Friday - total of 2.5 miles and Saturday total of 2.5 miles but not sure of my exact time or anything.

Glad to be back in NY where it's a bit more bearable! I'm sorry for everyone facing those 100+ temps all the time - it's quite an adjustment!

DrivenByAmbition
07-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I did two miles today... I know I need to build up, but haven't been able to push myself like I want to. So I figure I will stick with what I can do comfortably until I am ready to move on.

Spikester
07-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I haven't been as consistent as I want to be, but on Sunday I did 5 miles. The last mile was some run/walking intervals because I am trying to build up my speed.

I do only run on a treadmill. I go in the early AM, I just don't want to run in the dark.

devadiva
07-02-2012, 01:10 PM
As I mentioned in last thread been sick,drugs are working so feel a little better,still having achilles {I think }problems so have totally laid of the running to rest them for about 2 weeks...Bike riding,I have a Mt bike and we have a steep road I can ride up so I get a good work out.
Today I rode up 4 miles 1,300 ft, then down then rode the race route for my up coming run so it would not seem so long its part sandy, dirt and some road so it was tough ride on the bike. Rode 15 miles today. 1 hr 50 min.

I have a 10k on the 4th of July I will be the oldest women maybe the oldest person. We live in a small town. DANG i had planned on doing quite well before my foot problems.I saw last years times of everyone and would not have been last! So hoping I have rest them enough but kept my stamina up.

IM thanks for doing the thread, I have never done a treadmill but have an elliptical and I know what you mean..time drags compared to being outside. BUT man HEAT is a killer and back ther you guys have the hummity.....OUT HERE ours is like 8% where I run unless they are sprinling the alphlfa feilds
and then maybe its 20%. Its 9 am and its 80 so it will be another hot one. Thats why I try and go by 6 0r 6;30.

TurboMammoth
07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
lm3898, thanx for the thread! :)

So I finished my first ever half-marathon on saturday in a time of 2hour19min43sec, which was 10 minutes faster than I had planned in the first place. Considering the fact that I only started running about 10 months ago, I was pretty freacking happy about that!!

It was SO HOT on saturday. People on the streets were throwing water at us with their hoses... I had the best people cheering at me at some point, there was 4 littles girls standing next to their sprinklers and were cheering for the runners. When I got near them, I bent down and passed in the water faking I was plane and they just started jumping and screaming.. they were precious :)

CherryPie99
07-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Deva - Hope you heal up fast. You must be frustrated.

Turbo - Awesome job on the hm!

I ran my first double digit run yesterday! Ran 10 miles in 1:28:26. The last 3 miles were very hilly and I started dragging a$$. But it was hot so I was just excited to do it.

Signed up today for 3 10k's - one for the next 3 months. Never have raced a 10k, but that's my typical distance.

WildThings
07-03-2012, 12:22 AM
I did 4 miles tonight at 11.25 min/mile. I actually debated all day whether I should wait until the sun started to go down or just run on the treadmill but I seriously hate the treadmill so much that I just went later. It was still really warm out but I had a pretty good run.

lm3898
07-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Turbo - I am SO jealous your half is done! What a great time -that's pretty much what I am shooting for in Sept. Congrats!

Deva - I'm sorry you are side-lined with all of these ailments but it shows your strength that you keep moving and exercising in spite of everything - well done. I hope you're ok for your race tomorrow.

Cherry - 10k's are actually my favorite - not sure why haha but I think it's the perfect distance to get into your stride w/out having to sprint half the race or anything. I really enjoy 10k's so good luck with yours.

Everyone else - keep running & posting & Happy Fourth of July [a little early]!

I made it 5 miles last night - it was about 85 degrees and humid but I felt a breeze. Sadly after a boozy wedding weekend and not drinking NEARLY enough water before or during my run, I felt awful. I stopped a good 4 times near local water fountains. That was definitely a reminder to myself to stay HYDRATED this summer.

CherryPie99
07-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Just got back from a 6 mile lunch run. The people I work with think that I'm nuts, but I LOVE running in this weather. Give me 85 and sunny over 55 and cloudy ANY DAY.

devadiva
07-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Happy 4th everyone. I did it ran my race 10k not super fast for me but
1:06:29 and won 3rd place women division!!! Not bad for not running in two weeks being sick,and nursing my ankle,we will see how I feel in the morning.

lm3898
07-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Happy July fourth all!!

Deva: congrats that is awesome!!! Not bad w those ailments?? It's not bad period!

Cherry: I love your posts but I might have to side with your Coworkers on that last post re: weather lol.

Too hot and humid out by the time I was ready to run today so I went to the gym and made it 5 miles on the treadmill in about 42 minutes. As much as I hate treadmill running, it was actually pretty okay - I added sprints and hills to keep it interesting...

TurboMammoth
07-05-2012, 10:36 AM
lm3898 : when is your half is september? Because I got one in September too! Well be able to stress together at the same time LOL

Cherrypie : you are a lucky girl to be able to enjoy running in the heat ;)

Deva : it might not have been as fast as you know you could do it, but at least you DID IT, with all the bad stuff that was happenning to you in the previous weeks! GOOD JOB!

So I was slowly getting back to running this week, so slow easy and short run to spare the legs a bit. I did a 4k on Tuesday and a 5k this morning. The legs are still heavy a bit but we are getting there!

I'm starting my training plan for my next half next week, with 11 weeks to go until the race. I've got no long run planned this weekend, I'm going hiking instead :)

devadiva
07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Turbo: Congrads on 1/2 and glad your back at it
Cherry: 85 is about my tops above that and it just ZAPS!
Wildthing: I can't wait here by night its like 97 to 100 until like 8! It makes me get up early!
Spikster: keep it up speed does come.
Driven: Just keep it movin no matter what you do!
IM: Good job on keeping it interesting when you need to use treadmill and IMO 5 miles on one of those is alot!

As for me started a water areobics with tabbata last night {did not think it would be any thing} OMG our regular instuctor does it and she kicks your but in the water too. HOW can ya get out of breath jumping around in the pool!
This morning I went on a 16 mile bike ride. 3 miles up hill and then 3 down and the rest just hard riding. Great workout 1hr 40 min. My foot is doing well did not hurt after the run BUT don't want to push it so just a little bit more rest. And the cross training I think is making my legs stronger over all.

CherryPie99
07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Deva - congrats on your 10K!!!

Yes, I do feel lucky that I love the heat - the bad news is that living in Northern NY I get hardly any of it so it would be better if I loved the cold! Anything under 55 and I'm on the dreadmill!

Interesting run today. I ran 6 yesterday, and then spent 6 - yes, I said 6 - HOURS staining our huge deck. So my legs felt like lead today. So I decided to do only 4. The first mile really sucked. When mile 4 started, I really just wanted the run to be over with and I said to myself - "Ok, push it - let's see if you can do under 8 minutes" And you won't believe this. I did it in 7:46!! Of course, I could never keep up that pace, but it allowed me to end the run on a high note!!

drake3272004
07-07-2012, 02:15 AM
It has been almost 6 weeks since I have been on a run. I have had the desire but absolutely no energy and been to sore from work. Tonight I finally felt that I could try.

I didn't keep track of my time at all and I didn't think I would do very well, but I managed to jog most of the mile stretch that is part of my walking route. :carrot: And that was after work!!! My body seems to be adjusting finally. Now we will see how I am feeling in the morning :p

lm3898
07-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Welcome Back to running Drake!

Cherry congrats on running 4 miles after all that work!

Hello from vacation! Did a nice HILLY run after arriving at our Lakehouse yesterday I've forgotten how much harder it is with hills but it felt great! off to do some kayaking now!

devadiva
07-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Went for a quick hike to first lake,700ft climb 5k hike. It's 106 outside 82 inside and it's 5pm!happy summer?

drake3272004
07-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Felt really good after my run on Friday, had every intention on going out Saturday too but between work & helping a friend plan her wedding, there was no time. I got a swim & a run in on Sunday, did swim more than I ran but still got there. Today I was sore so taking it easy.

Hope everyone is doing well & beating the heat!!!! :)

lm3898
07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Enjoying the cooler weather by the lake and made it 5 miles with HILLs yesterday! Great run but today my right shin/lower leg feels very tight so I'll probably bike instead. Good work everyone!

TurboMammoth
07-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I did not run last weekend, I was away in camping and went for a hike with the boyfriend instead. We made it to the top of the mountain, climbing about 550 meters high on a 10.7 km hike. It was amazing :)

I kicked off my 11 weeks half marathon training program this morning with a 5k tempo run (average pace of 5:54min/km, time of 29;31, my personnal best for a 5k!) It was my first real workout since the half and my first run since last thurday : I broke a sweat but I felt so good after! :)

defenestrator
07-11-2012, 01:17 PM
I wanted to post a little picture of our running group. We do 2.7-3.1 miles twice a week and a longer run on Sunday. We also carpool to races.

lm3898
07-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Defense: thanks for the photo what a great picture of your group.

Turbo wow congrats on getting back into running so quickly after your half marathon that's really smart. I'm going for a hike myself today with my husband and dogs while on vacation I'm really looking forward to it.

Running has been getting a little bit hard to do here every day especially with the hills so yesterday I rented a bike And made it 18 miles - wow, that's a killer on the legs when you're going uphill. Today I ran just under nine minute miles. I did four of them & just couldn't make it any further but it was hot and very hilly once again so I'll take it.

devadiva
07-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Been riding lot uphill and hard on flat water aerobic still waiting on massage ??? Wish she would call!! anyways seem to be healing try to stay strongbwithncross training.... Hubby bd got to go!

TurboMammoth
07-13-2012, 10:35 AM
defenestrator : nice picture of your running group :)

lm3898 : nice workouts!!! Going away and running other routes is always a challenge, they always seem to be much more hilly than the one we are used to run, no? hehe

devadiva : is it still hurting a bit?

I ran a 6k last night at 6:49, it was like 30 C degrees and I pretty much wanted to die. Confort zone, OUT!

devadiva
07-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Turbo:actually just got back from my favorite 10k I felt it a tiny bit but did not push it. It has not been hurting this week but have been waiting for a massage appt yesterday she finally called and said end of the month.....then called at 9 lAst night and had a cancellation for this am...so decided to runDOWNSIDE it was 78 at 6am when I left and muggy yucky! But it was a GREAT RUN!

lm3898
07-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Good work getting back to 10k's deva - hope everything continues to feel ok - you are smart not to push it. How are water aerobics going?

Did a 4.5 mile run this am - it was hot! I stopped each mile to do some sit ups and pushups which was good.

Keep hydrated everyone it's a hot summer!

CherryPie99
07-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi all! Went camping this week and did a lot of hiking but little running. I did 10 miles today - it was cloudy, windy and really humid. Not a great run but I made it.

I am running my first 10k next weekend. Any advice?

lm3898
07-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Good luck Cherry! 10k's are my favorite - they give you a good chance to find a great pace - I generally shoot for 30 seconds slower per mile than my 5k pace for the first five miles then I match my 5k pace for the last mile and sprint the last .2! Hope it goes well!

devadiva
07-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Hiked both days over weekend, ran 6.4 today feels good but have lost time, guess I will make it back up,not to worried. It's so warm just happy to be running!
Cherry: 10k is my fave too you can just get in a groove and zone

lm3898
07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Welcome back to running deva! Hope you're feeling better & the hikes went well.

Just finished a local 5k race - despite it being about 96 degrees I had a new personal best!! 24:52 which is about 14 seconds faster than the last time I ran a timed 5k race [about 1.5 months ago I think]!! I'm SO happy w/ that 100/747 women overall & 405/1500 total. Woohoo!

Sometimes I still can't believe I'm a runner...anyone else ever feel that way??

devadiva
07-18-2012, 12:07 AM
IM congrats great time!!

lm3898
07-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Hello RUNNERS - where has everyone been the last few days? Hope everyone did ok during the recent [and ongoing] heat waves.

Ran outside last night - my chest was tight b/c of the humidity but I made it five miles w/out stopping in 41 minutes. Took a small water break and hit up 1.2 miles more for a total 10k. So many runners out last night enjoying the cooler weather!

lm3898
07-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Eight miles running this am no stopping which is a new record for me! Just finished a 22 mile bike ride on top of that so I made it a bit of a duathlon!

AMS65
07-21-2012, 04:50 PM
hello everyone!

I was a runner, back in day and loved it so much! I am now starting to lose weight and have lots more to go. I have been reading thru all the posts and feel so motivated to get back to it! I'm just wondering if I should try and lose another 30 lbs or so before I even try to start. I can honestly say that for those 7 years when I ran daily, I felt so good - best time in my life!
I so envy all of you able to run road races, etc... Soon that will be me again (I hope)

lm3898
07-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Welcome AMS!!! Have you looked into the couch to 5k program?

I personally don't think you should have to wait but I also don't think your body is going to be able to "run" right away either. A good program, like ct5k, will help your body adjust into running again! Welcome back.

AMS65
07-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I have never heard of CT5K but that is my mission today....research! i have been so excited since finding this thread yesterday. It's all coming back to me now!:carrot:

CherryPie99
07-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi all - I am back from my first 10K race.

My goal was to finish in less then 52 minutes and my time was 52:08 - so I didn't meet my goal. I did take 3rd place in my age group.

devadiva
07-22-2012, 03:30 PM
way to go Cherry!
I executed and ran a break station for a fund raising Bike ride, for my husbands organization, we had 60 + riders ,I did all the fruit, pastries and banana and zucchini bread,set up and tore down station had help while people arrived. We had a party night before and big event night of....I am home now and wiped out! Glad to be home! Can not wait to run tommarro!

drake3272004
07-25-2012, 12:39 AM
It's been too hot and humid here for me to run :( If I lived in town I would probably attempt to run at night but out in the country, forget it. I have also been busy helping out my friend with wedding plans, only a week to go! Then I will get back on track somehow.

Stay cool!

lm3898
07-25-2012, 10:00 AM
5.35 miles last night - waited for the weather to dip into the 80's and w/ the breeze it wasn't too bad! I added a tough hill into the mix as well & I did stop around mile 4 to do some situps at the end.

I've been using endomondo and I can't tell how off it is lately - I tried to do the route w/ map my run after and it's about .3 off last night but map my run doesn't go to all the places I run b/c it has them funny so who knows 100%.

I'm excited though - I have a big mud run obstacle race this Saturday!!

devadiva
07-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Ran drills or my idea of them was a good work out. Talked to a women marathoner this weekend and she gave me some suggestions on improving my speed. It was kinda fun put in 4 miles, lots of high knees,but kicks,skipping and side ways running only about 1 1/2 straight running. Kinda like my own gym class I was sweating like a champ!

philana
07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Ladies, I need your advice!

A year ago I started getting fit because I saw my bday looming and the scale at an overweight BMI. I dropped the lbs and I got into exercise, been loving it for the first time ever. I never would have believed a soul if they said I would now go cycling 40miles, just for fun. Or run 8 miles and still be able to walk the next day. LOL

So it's a very important thing that happened and I want to celebrate my upcoming birthday appropriately. I am gonna go on a 100k (62miles) bikeride and am pretty sure I can do that easily. I also want to run the half-marathon distance, of which I am less sure. The most Ive done is about 9miles. I get bored so I mostly just do 3mile and 6mile runs. I am not fast but I never get out of breath doing it and I don't get muscle aches. I can ride my bike at a high heartrate (165/170) for 2 to 4 hours just fine. Do you think I could safely run 13.1miles at this stage?

I know I could build up to it more properly like I am suppose to. But I didn't, and yet I came up with this idea to celebrate my 1yr fitness by doing cool stuff. Would love to give this a try.

Tips and adivice please?

lm3898
07-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Welcome Philana.

One question - are you going to try to bike and run the same day?? That might be a bit tough!

If you are doing these separately, then I think you've made it 9 miles & you should be able to make it for a full 1/2 marathon. I'm currently training for my 1st HM and the maximum practice mileage the plan I'm following says to do is 10 miles so if you're at 9, you should be ok, just IMO. Good luck & happy birthday.

lm3898
07-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Hello all!

I have a big Mud Run Obstacle race tomorrow. Last night, in preparation, I put on all my clothes for the race, including socks & sneakers - jumped into the shower for a few minutes to get soaked & then went for a 4.5 mile run. Happy to report, nothing chafed which is great news so I guess I'm ready for tomorrow!!

I did get caught in a the thunder/lightening/rain last night which was a little scary at times but I actually enjoyed running in the rain/wind way more than I thought I would!

devadiva
07-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Ran 3.6 and did a heavy weight workout,45 min, 20 min stretch with band, and did a bunch of shoveling dirt......I am sore today! Today we did our usual hike to take the dog swimming and now to shovel and rake gravel it's about 90.
IM hope you have FUN!

lm3898
07-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Good work Deva! It sounds sore hearing about it!

Cherry - any races lately?

Philana - are you going to go for it w/ the half marathon?

Defense- how have you been faring in the heat/post half marathon?

Had my mud run today! I finished 28th/500+ women and 128th overall, including men which I"m thrilled about - my biggest fear - the obstacles - I pretty much sailed through which I wasn't expecting even though I've been training so hard - I need to start believing in myself!

I'm slightly upset about the run - I was expecting a 6-8 mile course and honestly it was probably only about 5 so I really could have kicked it up a notch if I had known it would be a shorter course, well at least I tell myself that now! Who knows really, it was hot & hilly so I'm still happy.

defenestrator
07-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Haven't run my half marathon yet. That's October 21. But I have been running in the heat. I had my first complication of sorts last Thursday. I ran 5k and felt kind of woozy and nauseous -- it was about 85 out at 5:30 in the morning and super-humid. I then sat and drank a bit and then did a 50-minute spin class. This is my normal T-Th routine and I felt fine when I was doing it but afterwards I was talking to my mom and started to feel really sick and then felt like I was going to faint. I went down on my elbows and knees (right on the city street) and felt my hearing fade, so I think I fainted for just a few seconds.

Went to Canada for the weekend and ran in 65-degree bliss. I did about 4 miles. I then did a bunch of hiking and felt kind of sore, so I've been taking it easy this week. But this morning it was only 60 degrees out so I ran 6.5 miles and felt fantastic!

I'm running a 5-mile trail run next weekend but starting tomorrow I'm going on a backpacking trip. We'll be traveling 40k in three days, with the bulk of it being in the first day. So I might take a couple of days off of running between when I get back and the race.

Soon as I get home is when I start the half-marathon training in earnest. I'm pretty excited to see what I can do.

defenestrator
07-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Mud runs are fun!

philana
07-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Im, thanks for your adivce! It made me decide to go for it. ;) Due to the weather I skipped the cycling but I planned on doing that yesterday anyhow.

So, I just ran a half marathon in 2h30m. I am like superduper proud. Near de last 2 miles my left thigh got a bit crampy but nothing too bad. Other than that no real discomforts. Sure, I feel sore. But I was not all flustered when I got home or anything.

I am soooo happy.

defenestrator
07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Philana, that's awesome! That's my goal for my fall half-marathon. But I've still got 11 more weeks of training to get there.

CherryPie99
07-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi all!

lm - I am running another 10K race next Saturday. Hoping to better my time, but it is a much more challenging course, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

Ran 10 miles this morning in 1:26:08. Felt pretty good except the last 3 were into a pretty heavy wind.

On another note, in case you guys haven't read my other thread, I hit 119 pounds yesterday - puts me at 225 lost and I hit my goal!

drake3272004
07-30-2012, 12:09 AM
:carrot: WTG :carrot: cherry!!!

lm3898
07-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Nice work Cherry - your times are SO freaking impressive. Also - I can't imagine how losing that much made you feel but I am in awe of you - way to go.

Philana - that's my time too - I'm hoping to be at/under 2h,30min for my half in Sept. so we'll see. How did it feel?? Congrats- what an accomplishment.

Defense - I could have sworn you did one a month ago - sorry must be losing it haha. Good luck w/ training.

Everyone else - way to go this month.

Made it 5 1/2 miles last night - it felt good despite being super sore from the mudrun Saturday. I'm glad I got out there & did it. Nothing crazy - 8:25 pace. I'm supposed to do a long bike ride on Sat. so I think I might do my slow/long training run on Thursday night instead.

DrivenByAmbition
07-30-2012, 09:22 AM
I haven't been very motivated running lately. I mean I'm still running but not taking the joy in it I once was. To make matters worse, I stopped when I could have kept going.

What do you do when you get in a running funk?