Diabetes Support - its July

View Full Version : its July

fatmad
07-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Good morning friends and welcome to July!

fbs at an even 5 this am. Am up early, got to sleep ok about 11 or so, but by 510 I was awake and no getting back to sleep. Hope that means I can sleep tonight ok. Will not have any alcohol today, and see if that helps. Had a few beers at the neighbourhood Canada cottage potluck. a good time, and some young kids there made for some fun. Hope I get to bring a grandbaby next year!

Am lowering carbs and ramping up protein with today's breakfast, greek yogurt and raspberries with fibre 1. I did well with carbs yesterday (except for the beer) so will redouble the effort today.

Have a great day friends

Riemontana
07-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Hello all.

Welcome to July! Mad, thanks for the new thread. Fbs at 82 this morning and I did 50 minutes of walkitout. Today is a busy work day and then I need to get the camper outfitted over the next couple of days. I am having an endoscopy on thursday. :(

Mad, I am glad that you enjoyed the party. Was is Canada Day? Next year will be so much fun with a grandbaby. I can't drink beer because I think I am allergic to the hops or something? I get VERY intoxicated on just a beer or two when I have normal tolerance for other spirits. I am also sick for a couple of days if I indulge in beer. Good job on the carbs. (stick to wine - it makes my bs drop! :D )

Bonnie, I am sorry that you are under so much stress. :hug: Hopefully, it will ease up soon. We are here to support you whenever you can get here.

Trish, Rennie and others.... Have a great day!

Rie

pattygirl63
07-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Bonnie - Happy belated anniversary to you and your DH. Sorry to hear about your Aunt and hope she will be able to get better. Boy hasn't our heat been horrible this past few days? However, when I felt really bad, I just thanked God for our AC although it never got it down a lot, it made me remember to pray for those who are without electricity causing them to have no AC. I do hope they get their electricity back on very soon.

Mad - Although I'm not eating Atkins, I have cut back on the carbs and upped the protein as well.

Hope everyone is able to stay cool and have a good day.

fatmad
07-02-2012, 10:59 PM
did well all day, but this evening am getting the cravings. I am going to take my evening meds and try going to bed. BTW, does anyone find chromium picolinate is helpful with sweet/carb cravings? I took some today, in hopes it would help me stick to plan, but i am finding it difficult now.
hope to sleep ALL night, not just until 5 again.

Ruthxxx
07-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Yes, it certainly IS July! I'm back from a decadent four day weekend in NJ where it was as hot as it still is here. We coped though. PTL for air conditioning and electricity to run it.

I certainly did not watch what I ate over the weekend but was amazed to see 184 this morning. I am out of diuretics until I see my doc but certainly had a lot of potty trips yesterday so my body may have given up its camel act. :) FBGL has been 3.7 to 4.3 the whole time despite several decadent indulgences.

I closed the June thread and must go back and catch up on reading. Thanks for cranking up July for us, Mad.

Have a lovely day and stay cool.

Riemontana
07-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Good morning friends!

fbs at 84 and I did 35 minutes of walkitout this morning. It is a beautiful but HOT day here and I have a busy day ahead of me.

Ruth, I am so glad that you had good numbers and I am thrilled that you had decadent indulgences. ;):D Yay!

Bonnie, :hug: I hope things are good with you.

Trish, what are you doing tomorrow?

Mad, are you still at the cabin? I took cinnamon/chromium from walmart for a while. I didn't think it helped much but others swear by it. I stopped because I felt the cinnamon hurt my stomach.

Rie

pattygirl63
07-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Hello Chickies

Ruthie Good to see you back safely and your body dealing with the fluid better.

Rie I have no plans for tomorrow not even the Y because it closed tomorrow. I also didn't go today. I was invited to do something with a friend, but at the moment I plan to try to stay in and stay cool. Everyone is home tomorrow and DD is home the rest of the week. I sure hope they will try to keep things closed up like I've begged and begged them to do around here especially since I got the newest Electric/Water bill and it went from $323 last month to $418 this month. No matter how much you tell them they don't seem to care that our utility bills are running more than double what they were before they moved in.

I've tried talking to them with minimum to little helpful results so I wrote something on Facebook about the bill. MY DIL was concerned and asked me why. I explained without going into too much detail. DD didn't like the conversation between my DIL and me. But you know what? I don't care any more. Either way this goes for me, I will come out of it ok. Here we sit paying all these bills, her hubby works 1 or 2 days a week which I suspect that he gets suspended and may be trying to get fired. It is my understanding that he is supposed to shave and keep his hair cut and he looks like a wild man. I think it scares some of their customers or he smarts off at them and then he gets suspended. I know that is what happened before. They go out and buy junk and he is planning a flight trip to FL he said for a wedding and she said for his grandfathers ninty something birthday so not sure who is telling the truth. Supposedly his Mother is paying for that. I'm sure he is saving money for that. Then last night he put on FB bragging to some friends that he just bought a subscription for an internet sports station so he can watch the Mets.

I'm sorry if I'm being picky, but they can't or won't help pay any of the utilities; this is his 2nd or 3rd trip to fly to FL since they moved here a year ago and when he is home... other than taking care of the baby, he sits on his butt while Tony does the lawn and they all set on their butts while I do all the housework. I've heard them all make wise cracks about having to clean up their dishes like they shouldn't have to do it... and they still don't ever bother to bring dirty dishes downstairs.

I told DH last night that I AM NOT GOING TO BABYSIT when school starts. The state will help her with it because she is a student and he is in the system with his special problems. I'm just not going to sacrifice any more. I told him that she lied to move here and then he said "And she is still lieing". I told him how the money is and he said "What do you want me to do?" I told him that I didn't care what he does because we don't the money to pay the bills. If this bill is up almost $100 this month from last month then next by September it will be $600. I asked him how he is going to buy his medicine when he runs out of money?" Then he said, "What are you going to say when she says 'we don't have any money?'" I said, "I'll say 'Well, you have a problem because we don't have any money either'". He said, "What are they going to do?" I said, "What are we going to do? If you are willing to lose everything, then I guess we will lose it. It is your choice not mine. You decide." Then I got up, walked out of the room and went to bed leaving the ball is in his court. I am through with the whole thing.

Y'all have a great day and try to stay cool. That is what I'm doing.

fatmad
07-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Have been sticking to plan again today. I may have some "seconds" from supper, i was waiting for about 30 minutes to see if I was really still hungry.
I was, so am eating while I type. Meatloaf and yellow wax beans. There is some oatmeal in the meatloaf so thats my carbs. I pretty much empOh tied my deep freeze and brought all the meat to the camp, and it was a rainy day, so meatloaf seemed perfect, and went down really well. Hope I can get through the evening without snacking, after having a fairly late supper.
Ruth, glad to see you back after a good time, and with a little less weight and water retention to boot.
Rie: thanks for the feedback. I had to wonder if just taking a pill helped a bit. all in my head. But anyway to get through the evening without snacking. Trish: don't know what the solution is for you and DH. It is clear that this is continuing to create stress for all of you. So sorry. :hug:
Tomorrow going to Blind River to see an aging auntie, so maybe won`t be checking in. FBs was great today, at 4.8 so no complaints. Was 5 after supper last night. so won`t test for a bit now.
Happy 4th of July to our american friends. :D

fatmad
07-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Just enjoying my morning tea before I head out. fbs 4.7 today, yippee!
slept better, unfortunately that meant sleeping in a different room than DH, but we both slept better. Will have to visit lots if that keeps up.
Happy 4th to our friends to the south, and Ruth, keep cool!

Riemontana
07-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Good Morning!

fbs at 75 this morning and my weight is ticking down toward my ticker in little bits. I have a dinner with my parents tonight so I will eat sparingly and then enjoy in moderation. Tomorrow morning I have an endoscopy. :(

Trish I am so sad that things continue to be difficult for you. I salute you for refusing to be a built-in baby sitter. I think it sends a strong message. I am horrified at the bills that you are enduring. I hope it all works out.

Everyone else.... have a great day!

Rie

pattygirl63
07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
HAPPY 4TH AMERICAN CHICKIES HERE

DH is asleep. Oldest DGD is upstairs, the others ae gone and I'm meeting a friend to celebrate her birthday... doing a movie and maybe out to eat after.
DH told me last night he was going to talk to her and her hubby, but he hasn't had a chance to yet because he wants to do it without the children. Don't know what he plans to do or say and I don't really care to know. He is seeing a lot more things lately and he DOES NOT LIKE IT. Like my pastor told me, "Tony has to take care of it because it is his children". I hurt for DH, but I'm glad to be out of it.

Y'all have a great 4th.

Ruthxxx
07-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Stick to your guns, Patty. You are way overdue on quitting being a doormat.

Surviving the heat well by remembering to drink lots of water. Spent yesterday in my car tootling around the Township picking up schoolwork but took water and lunch with me. As of this morning I am now in sync with my S/C/G and will re-instate my ticker when I get back into the 170s. It kills me to have some Size 12 pants that are too snug to wear comfortably.

No shortage of veggies here as my garden is producing well. I do need to get protein planned better though. When it cools off a bit, I'll do that meatloaf with the oatmeal which freezes well and is so nice cold with salad. Right now I am drying the last few quarts of strawberries for winter cereal - it's been a terrific season. My raspberries and black caps are starting now. I love a taste of summer in my winter oatmeal!

fatmad
07-05-2012, 11:50 AM
mmm, ruth, never thought of drying my own strawberries for winter, what a great idea.
Hope Rie's endoscopy goes well today. THINKING about you Rie:hug:
Trish, no need for you to babysit and change your life, You and DH have been letting them live there rent free, they should be responsible for their own children.
Had a lovely time visiting with my mother's cousin and her daughter yesterday, they live in Blind River, which is a two + hour drive from the camp, but a 9 hour drive from my place, so I went for the visit. Auntie, (I call her that) is getting quite confused, and we had the same conversations about 5 times while there. She is being tested for dementia at the end of the month, and I can see my cousin has a lot to deal with with her mother. Not as miserable as my own mother was though. Cousin is glad to have have someone who understands, was able to give her some support and friendly advice, which she is already acting upon. Stayed relatively on plan in spite of not being in charge of food, although my cousin is a great cook so it was hard at times.
Supper with BIL and SIL a couple of cottages down the lakeshore from ours tonight, so will watch the points and carbs today until then too.
Stay cool everyone, and stay healthy!

geoblewis
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
I've been back home from my travels for over a week now. Re-entry sucks!!!! Really, it's been so difficult getting back on track with diet and exercise. I realized this morning I haven't checked in with any of my support team in quite some time and maybe that's the issue with the headgame. So here I am!

I haven't tested my blood sugar since in four weeks. I'm too scared to now! I just started tracking food again. I see that my carbs are way too high and I need to get that under control again. But it's been really nice to get a break from testing.

Potatoes! Having a love affair with potatoes now. I haven't eaten this many potatoes in a very long time. Not having tons and not every day, but still, way more than I have since becoming type 2. Maybe it's because I don't have sweets or bread in the house and I'm still craving carbs after my vacation. I did eat several servings of potatoes in Scotland. They make them so delicious! And I really miss Scotland. I'd move there tomorrow if I could!

I'm doing well with the exercise and back in the routine again. I actually lost 4 lbs on my trip, but I found them (and a couple more) again during my week of celebrating potatoes. So getting back on track now. I plan to track the carbs religiously again and then, in another week, I may start tracking blood sugar again. No sense doing that now! I'll just feel disheartened all over again.

Have a great day everyone!

pattygirl63
07-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Kind of a quick one here for now. Not sure I will make it to Y today as DH has docs appt.

DH never got to talk to DD but he found a check on his tray from her for $150. She and I had a talk quick talk this morning. I told her about me hitting the button on FB accidently and the message going out before I got to clarify what I was saying (which I've deleted). I was upset with the situation with them, but I was really mad about the games going on in our government and probably shouldn't been spouting off any way. However, it opened the door for me to thank her for the check and told her that I really need them to start paying something to help with these high utilities. I explained to her that I a have canceled all my doc appts until fall, but her daddy can't do that and he goes into his insurance gap in August and we have to pay full price on his medications. I love them but honestly it is almost like my ex-BIL used to say..."You have to retrain them everyday". :dizzy: I've told her so now we will have to see how it goes.

BBL for indies.

Butterfly50
07-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Hey how was everyones fourth. mine was good. Although I am trying to get my self and stuff togeather so I can make a change in my life I am so tired of people trying to tell me how to live my life.

Went shopping at walmart and I always check out the workout videos I made a great find I got two Jillian Michaels videos with Hand weight and a Jane fonda set with hand weight for three Bucks a set . You cant buy the weights for three bucks. I say it's a great find..

I will check in later and see how things go OHHHH Before I go I am a grandmother again. My hubby's oldest son from his first marriage they jest had a six pound baby boy Liam Phoenix Harbeson... Born on the 3rd of july

Riemontana
07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Hello friends.

I am home from the diagnostic center and the endoscopy is done. It wasn't too bad but I am very tired. Preliminary results are good with no ulcer or hiatial hernia and my esophagus is clear. ( I worried because I am an ex smoker). There is some problem with my stomach lining that will be determined by biopsy but probably nothing serious. I am glad that it is over.

Bonnie, sure glad to see you back and I think that is a great deal that you got on the videos. The only person that can take care of you is you. :hug: Congrats Grandma!

Georgia, small amounts of potatoes are fine. They are sure tempting, though. Nice to hear from you

Trish, it is good that she gave you a contribution. I hope things stabilize. please stick to your guns about babysitting. They need to be responsible for their own kids. If they have discretionary income, can they contribute on a regular basis? I am worried about you cancelling all your dr appointments.

Ruth, my garden is a little late but I should have cucumbers and tomatoes soon. I am also growing a spaghetti squash this year and the mint is lovely in my tea. Drying your own strawberries is a terrific idea!

Mad, you provide so much support and comfort to those around you. I hope you are enjoying the lake.

Laters.... Rie

pattygirl63
07-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Went to Wal-Mart and bought an electric skillet hoping the kids and I can cook in it instead of the oven. Made it a DD/DM moment with DD by having her come down and opened it with her and told her she could be the first one to use it.

Rie :hug: Praying for good test results for you. I'll be okay till I can see my doc. I think he must be on vacation may even be in Philipines where he is from because when I called for appt a while back, I couldn't see him until August any way and today when I called for refills on DH meds he wasn't there. Another doc had to okay his refills. I won't need any refills for another month or 2. So I'm good for now.

Actually this time is good for me because it is making me get serious about the way I eat and my exercise. I know lots of people have problems with the New Atkins program, but I'm reading the book and I have to tell you that it has more than sold me on low carb woe for life. Too me it is a real compliment to the Dr. Atkins' original plan. I trust it because one of the authors is a doc from Dukes and that seems to be "the" big trusted place in the Carolina's. After all the research that has been done through the years, they have pretty much proved not only that Dr. Atkins knew what he was talking about, but why and how things work. What sold me is the fact that they explain that the one thing that causes triglycerides to rise and the good cholesterol to go down is a high carboydrate diet. Also, those of us who door have done Atkins know that he stressed the fact that we need to use salt to prevent certain reaction to the low carb during Induction. Well, the new book explains that low carb especially the AI is a natural diuretic (from what I understand this is until you get your grams above 50 grams Net carbs) so if you have leg cramps like I have a lot of, it is possible that it is due to not eating enough salt and they say that normally adding salt to foods may not be enough. They recommend either drinking 2 cups of broth (1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon) and to be sure it is not low sodium or use 1/2 tsp salt, or 2 Tblsp of regular soy sauce from the 1st day on Induction. I found this interesting because when I diet I cut out the salt even when low carbing and when I do I still get leg cramps. Then eventually I start craving chips etc and now I'm wondering if maybe it isn't the chips I'm craving but the salt. I say that because the baked chips are sweet tasting and do nothing for me... I don't like anything but the regular. So maybe the Metformin wasn't the problem. So I'm going to follow their suggestions for about a week using the broth (funny I never liked the broth either but it was low sodium had a cup of regular today and loved it) and then try adding the Metformin back and see how it works. Of course, they say you need to get approval from your doctor especially if you are on diuretics or blood pressure meds and or on salt restriction diet. I've never been on salt restriction although I do take bp medicine and my doc gave me permission to do any diet that I choose to do. So I'm good to go.

I'm not really counting the carbs... just following their suggestion of eating up to 6 c salad veggies and 2 c cooked veggies which they say will automatically add up to about 15 carbs minimum for each day. I'll dd in the broth and I finally switched to Almond unsweetened milk. BTW does anyone here use unsweetened Almond milk? I wonder, can I add my sweetner to it?

So I'm using this along with my time at the Y between now and when I go back to the doc to get my act together and hopefully I'll get a really good blood work when I go back and hopefully a fairly good reading on the scale as well.

Mad You are such a precious compassionate person so caring and helpful to everyone around you as well as to us.

Ruthie, Bonnie and Georgia:wave: So glad to hear from you. Sorry I didn't comment on y'all, but I managed to make this into a mini-book so better close it off.:dizzy:

Y'all have a great evening.

PartTimeHippie
07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
BTW does anyone here use unsweetened Almond milk? I wonder, can I add my sweetner to it?

Yes, I love it. For a nice treat, mix chocolate-flavored unsweetened almond milk with diet root beer. Crushed ice makes the drink even better.

It's really good to be back here at 3FC. Thanks to yesterday's warm welcome and an endless supply of helpful threads, I felt completely satisfied eating a moderate amount of healthy food today. Yay for 24 hrs of progress!

fatmad
07-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Have I mentioned I dislike DH laptop, just lost a long post with lots of personals, but anyway, will resend later. argh

pattygirl63
07-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Good Morning Chickies

Headed out this morning to post office then the Y and on to beauty shop. Beautician planning to go to her Mom's this weekend for her birthday so doing hair today. Then will run by store to get things I couldn't get at Wal-Mart yesterday.

Things are going good between us and the kids, but I think DH is getting dissatisfied with them being here. I have a feeling that now that I've talked to her that if she doesn't do something it will make it easier for him to confront her. I also learned in the past few days that he isn't happy with us babysitting all the time. Hopefully he will be the one to handle that situation.
Any way for the moment all is going very nicely... I know I may have to "retrain" them later.:dizzy:

One day on eating lower carb and using the ideas of the New Atkins plan and the fluid is coming off. Go figure. You know I thought as I read the book that it is a shame that Dr. Atkins didn't live to see that his theory actually works. It seems there have been over 50 scientific research studies that have not only proven that it works but evidently shows why it works. I heard a doctor on Fox news say that low carb diets like Atkins is the best way to fight obesity, but the problem is that people on food stamps and ho have lost their jobs can't afford to buy the foods to go on the diets. That is really what got me to read the book.

PartTimeHippie :welcome3: We are glad to have you hear and thanks for the info on the unsweetened Almond milk. I didn't see any unsweetened chocolate at Wal-mart but I definitely look for it in the other store today. Love the idea of diet root beer too.

Mad I do the same thing on my laptop and need to use Rie's idea of using Word and then cut and paste. So frustrating to type a whole post and lose it.

Got to run. Will back later. Everybody have a good day.

fatmad
07-06-2012, 12:56 PM
so glad to see Georgia back, I bet you are missing all the walking, and thats affecting the weight too. Enjoy a few potatoes! I have been baking mini baby potatoes with olive oil, sea salt and rosemary, and they are very nice, I can have 2 or 3 a couple of times a week.
Bonnie, the weights are great, we should all be doing some weight bearing exercise to fight off osteoporosis, and I hope the videos make it fun for you. The planks I do in yoga are my thing.
Rie: glad you came throught the endoscopy so well, lots of fluids to get the meds out of the system, no wonder you are tired!
Glad that hippie girl is joining us, so fun to hear from others.
Ruth, stay in touch!
Had too much wine last night, bonding with SIL, so will be having a quiet day today.
well, back to the lake, just a few more days of heaven.

Butterfly50
07-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Hey ladies its being a hetic day here have tons of errands and 2 dr apts for the girls so I am having a busy busy day here. But good news is no baby sitting next week My cousin is off all next week so I am going to get up in the am and start being back on track I have done informed everyone all the stuff that has come into the house can no longer come in if they want it they must buy it them self.I will not be doing it. Plus my aunt got her test results back and they say her sugar is up so its a good time to start it for everyone..

Got plenty to do around her so I am ready to get active again . I will jest have to roll with the heat and make sure I drink plenty of water.. Well got to run have to see if we can find a area rug for the living room before we get to the dr..More later..

Riemontana
07-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Hello Everyone!

Wow, I slept until 930 this morning! That is unheard of for me. Of course, I was up very late because I dozed on and off and then I didn't go to sleep until very late. Typically, though, I still rise with the sun.

My weight is up today but I think I am still full of lots of fluids from yesterday. Today I plan to get my camper set up and stocked. Tonight we might go to the drive in movie. It is a good thing to do with a hot summer night.

Bonnie, how great that you are having a week next week without babysitting responsibilities to get a jump start. Remember that taking care of others begins with taking care of YOU :hug:

Mad, enjoy those few precious days at the lake. Extreme fire dangers here have curtailed most outdoor activities but I am trying to find compromises.

Trish, I love unsweetened almond milk. Sometimes we run out and I try a little 1percent milk. Yuck! It tastes like it has pure sugar! I use it as a base in cream dressings and in my protein shakes. I also use it on the fiber one that I eat for breakfast. I haven't seen the unsweetened chocolate here but I add SF chocolate syrup and blend with ice sometimes.

Hi Hippygirl! :)

Georgia, what are you doing this weekend? Still missing your holiday time?

Ruth, I suppose you are loaded with social activities this weekend. Enjoy.

I am off to accomplish something...... ;)

Rie

seakat
07-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Hello! I am new here but look forward to having some support. :) I have Type 1 Diabetes and have had it for a while (12 years), and am 29 now. I look forward to getting to know all of you (online at least :) ). I woke up and had great BG's and know that usually means an easier day for me rather than constantly chasing down the high BG's.

pattygirl63
07-06-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm having almost like diahrrea today. Is this from switching to the very low carb almost like Induction way of eating I'm doing or do you think it could just be a virus? I had the headache yesterday but figured that was because I didn't drink the coffee. Couldn't go tp the Y, the beauty shop or the grocery store. Ended up coming home after going to the post office. I'm eating the veggies allowed and I can hear the stuff going on in my tummy so I just wonder if it is the veggies.

Sorry, but so far I can't find anything about this in either of the Atkins books. All I see there is about constipation. Hoping some of you who are old hat at doing low carb might have some answers. I'm also looking into some of the vitamins I take as I think I'm going to have to back off some of them now that I'm doing Atkins type low carb.

seakat :welcome2: Look forward to getting to know you. This is a good support group. You will enjoy it.

seakat
07-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Pattygirl-- Whenever I have tried Atkins, it does make my stomach pretty upset but it will go away after a while. I think it is your stomach getting used to more fiber from vegetables.

pattygirl63
07-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks Seakat I appreciate the info. I wondered if that was it. I also realized that some of the suppliments that I take may be causing it as well so am taking some of them out of my plan and also adding some probiotics. I'm not following Induction to the letter as I still like eating only when hungry not because it is time to eat, but there are so many wonderful benefits from eating low carb that I just have to make it work for me. For one thing I don't get the cravings for sweets and chips eating this way.

Rie - I miss the old drive in movies. Didn't know there were any left. I used to make our food for supper/dinner when my kids were little and we would go to the drive in movies. Their Daddy was never an indoor movie person, but would go to drive in until home videos came along.

Hippie Girl - I actually drank the Almond milk with out adding sweetner. It wasn't all that bad and I decided that I might can get used to drinking it without it. Funny, I don't like eating almonds so hopefully I will get the benefits of Almonds by drinking it. Also I used to take magnesium suppliment, but I don't think I will need it now that I'm drinking it.

Bonnie - So sorry things are so hectic at your place. I sure hope you aunt will be interested in eating the way you eat as it will help her with her diabetes and she will feel better. You sure did get a good deal on those CDs and weights. You go girl.

Mad - It is wonderful that you are having a great vacation at the lake and bonding with SIL. There is nothing like relaxing by the lake.

Ruthie - Your garden sounds lovely and I love meatloaf or ground beef cooked with onion/pepper mix in my salad. Thanks for reminding me of that. Makes me wish I had some ground meat thawed out right now. I will definitely thaw some out for tomorrow.

Georgia - Glad to have you back and getting back on track with food and exercise. Don't wait too long on getting back to checking your blood sugar. Good luck on everything.

The kids have friends coming in tomorrow from FL. They are getting a suite for them and for the kids for the weekend so DH and I will have the house to ourselves for the weekend. It will be good for them and us. DD and I have been talking and right now things are going really good. I don't know if it is all on the up and up, but as long as it is the way it is, I can live with it. Hopefully we can keep things the way they are right now. I really hope that we can and will build some kind of a working relationship, however, I have learned the importance of sticking to my guns on the things that are important.

Have good evening.

Riemontana
07-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Good Morning!

fbs at 76 this morning. I rested really well. Last night we went to a home town baseball game. Our town has a minor league team. I took dgs and it was a lot of fun.

Today is lawn mowing and gardening and probably the drive in tonight.

Sorry, no time for personals this morning, hopefully I will get back later.

Rie

geoblewis
07-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Hey girls! I think I've almost fully arrived home since the holiday excursion. It helped that I started my new job and the laundry is done. Switching back to the very low carb plan is still difficult so I'm taking the weekend to have a break from food and just cleaning out with lemon water.

Patty, I think some people have more intestinal issues than others when it comes to increasing veggies and eating very low carb. It never bothered me at all...other than having the really intense craving for carbs that I don't even like for the first week or so. I'm craving those supermarket pastries again this morning, and I really don't like them. But all I can think about is fatty, sugary pastries right now. Grrr!

I really do miss all the walking and the sight-seeing, Rie and Mad. I met and chatted with so many of the locals in Edinburgh and Glasgow and I miss them all! And hanging out with writers at the Santa Barbara Writers' Conference was also very socially satisfying. In my small hometown, no one is that lovely to talk with. Everyone seems to scowl.

I've enjoyed being at work and talking fitness with my trainer everyday. It has helped get my head back in the game. And exercising everyday in between duties is wonderful. There's no off-plan food at the studio, and I have to bring lunch in so I'm making good choices with that.

It's when I get home that is the issue. I arrive about the time my appetite is most intense. I've left the boys at home all day and the house is a mess and I get angry. I don't feel like cooking, especially in a messy kitchen. I'm tired...I make poor, carby choices. I haven't worked outside my home in a very long time so planning meals ahead of time is not something to which I'm accustomed. I tend to have things on hand that are easily prepared, easy to throw together. But after being gone all day, the boys have been gobbling that up and they're not hungry when I get home to make dinner. So cooking a meal for one is uninteresting to me.

I think I need to make some effort at purposefully caring for myself when it comes to meals. I tend to fight it because I'm still rebelling from my upbringing. My mother tends to spend the entire day thinking of food, what to buy, preparing it, feeding people. It's really tiresome! I don't want to be like that! I don't have to be, but I need to find a balance and find what works for me.

(Really, what I love is to go out for salad and a small piece of grilled meat. I'd rather eat salad that someone else makes. I don't know why!)

pattygirl63
07-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Georgia - I buy the packaged salads and then if there are any other things I want in it I just add it. Then I cook whatever meet I want to go with it. I'm a night time eater so I plan low/lower carb things I can eat or even drink then. Maybe it would be good not to think meals as much as it would be to think snacks.

My eating is good. DH went to bed wanting to go out for pizza today, but woke up not wanting to go which worked out good for me since I wasn't sure how I was going low carb at Pizza Hut. I went to the store and got me some more foods for low carb that I couldn't get at Wal-Mart the other day. Came home and made me a salad while I cooked pork country style ribs and a mixture of asparagus and green beans. I love to eat crackers with my salad, so I bought some pork rinds to eat with my salads. Had a big glass of iced green tea with it and it was uumm good. So glad we didn't go for pizza. I've the been watching the scale and I'm going to have a weight loss tomorrow. Hopefully it will stay the same as it was this morning and I'll .have a really good loss for this week.

Rie, Bonnie, Ruth, Mad and all others reading:wave:

Y'all have a great day.

Ruthxxx
07-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Sorry Seacat but I missed :welcome:ing you. I'm glad you joined us. Nice to see Georgia back in the fold too.

Not much new here - just trying to stay cool and hydrated and have been eating on plan. the only problem - and not a big one - I that I ran out of glyburide and have been doing without. Luckily my FBGL has been decent - 5.3 and 4.6 the past two mornings. I'll fix the problem tomorrow. (Our wee pharmacy isn't open every day.)

Must confess my gym performance has not been stellar this week. I have gone but seem to be too tired to complete my sets. I think it may be the heat. We "northerners" are just not used to 96! This week is going to be a bit cooler so I'm hoping to get my groove back.

fatmad
07-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi everyone: tried posting yesterday but lost the post again, so gave up.
Georgia< whats the new job? sounds like you are working at a gym? I think if the boys are at home on their own all day, they need some responsibilities. Like call about 60-90 minutes before you get home. They have to clean up and start food prep. If not, no privileges, ( like nintendo?) etc.
Happy that you are doing well Rie: I have great memories of drive ins as a kid, we went in our pjs, and fell asleep after the first movie. It was a cheap date night for our parents, and fun for everyone, and we could bring our own snacks.
Hope everyone has a happy sunday, ttfn

PartTimeHippie
07-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Seakat, welcome! Mad and Georgia, your trips both sound wonderful. Bonnie, Im slightly late, but congratulations on the birth of little Liam!

Rie, I laughed at the mention of mint We have lots of it growing randomly in our yard, but the dogs seem to enjoy sitting on it. (A nutritionist once told me that nurturing a garden is one of the best ways to learn to appreciate healthier food.)

Trish, Ive taken various supplements for neuropathy and edema. Although theyve worked well, they often upset my stomach, too. Id love to know if the probiotics are helping.

Ruth, re-starting an exercise routine is the next thing on my agenda. My problem is consistency, so Im trying to find the right way to ease back in so that the change is a sustainable one.

Eating more consciously this week has gone well so far. Im realizing with amusement, though, how often I wrap the rest of my life around food cravings. My errands were strangely short and efficient yesterday, without the usual half dozen mid-trip stops for treats. (Didn't notice how much I think, "What do I want to eat now, and how am I going to get it?") In spite of these many odd empty spaces in my head, I feel calm.

Butterfly50
07-08-2012, 11:54 AM
PartTimeHippie Thanks And Welcome to you and all the newbies here I havnt not had a chance to meet. So Love the recipe with the root beer and the almond milk how much milk and how much root beer want to give it a try.

Woke up yesterday and had a migraine and a sore throat. Little Julianne had a play date the other day and come back with a cold one of the other children was sick so now it is going threw the house my daughter has it bad now I am getting it funny how her parents arent getting it. Trying to get on plan today I hope I can do it as bad as I felt yesturday but got some meds and ready to start..

Fbs was 82 this morning . I will check back later

Riemontana
07-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Happy Sunday morning!

The drive in was so much fun last night. My fbs is 89 this morning, probably due to the loads of popcorn I ate last night. Oh well, treats happen. It was lovely, 75 degrees after the sun went down, stars bright overhead as we watched a movie. It was a double feature but we usually leave after the first show.

Georgia, I like the packaged salad greens also. I buy the chopped romaine lettuce from sams and just add to it. It works. It also only costs me about $5 per week for salad greens. I buy bulk dressing powders and make my own with mayo and almond milk. Terrific.

Hippie, as I was weeding the garden this morning I was laughing at the way your dogs like to sit on the mint. :D

Mad, are you still at the lake or are you heading back to the real world tomorrow?

Georgia, yes, tell us about the new job. I totally agree with Mad, those boys should have chores and present you with a clean kitchen and supper started when you get home. Healthy eating is easier if they are involved. Besides..... their future wives with thank you! ;)

Trish, how is your tummy? I think it just might be the change in eating and it will settle out. It sounds like things are going better. congrats on avoiding pizza hut. You go girl :carrot:

Bonnie, how's it going? Are you getting in any activity? It will be nice to have you back here whenever you can join us.

Well, sorry if I missed anyone. Be back tomorrow

Rie

pattygirl63
07-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Bonnie My apology because I can't remember if I congratulated you on the new grandbaby. So Congratulations on the new baby. Hope the sickness will not last very long.

The probiotics seem to be helping and I'm not eating Induction low as I've added a few things like Greek yogurt. Still trying to keep the carbs low. Yesterday my weight showed a 3 lb loss, but this morning my weight is the same so no change on the ticker yet.

BBL

geoblewis
07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I have a lovely new job! (Thank you for asking!) I am the personal assistant to my Pilates instructor's studio. I've been going there for two years and finally convinced her she needed more help in order for her business to grow. She is a one-woman show. I explained to her that her expertise is in teaching people how to move correctly, help them build proper alignment and build muscles to support that, help them to get their heads on straight about taking care of themselves. But she was spending too much time doing paperwork, dealing with marketing her business, etc. That was making her unhappy. I get happy doing that for others so they can shine (I just added virtual assistant to my bag of tricks).

So in the two weeks since I've started working for her, we've got a website moving forward, her social media is managed, her paperwork is done and she is a very happy woman. She has more clients doing private sessions with her during the day. Her workouts have really stepped up (oh my lord I'm still sore since Friday!). I get paid to do the website work and I get all the Pilates training I want at no additional cost to me. I get to step into any class I want! It's great! Really helps a lot with my blood sugar levels when I can step away from the computer for an hour a couple times in the middle of the day.

As for the salads, I get most of my veggies from another client of mine, a CSA farm. (I write a newsletter for them weekly, manage their social media and do some marketing for them, I built their website and maintain in. And I get all my veggies and pasture-raised eggs in payment.) I have bags of salad greens that I wash and have ready to use in my fridge. And I go through them pretty quickly. Cucumbers and peppers now, then heirloom tomatoes are coming up next. I don't have a problem with putting together a salad everyday. I just really love it when someone else makes my salad for me! Maybe that's a chore for my sons...make Mom her salad so that when she gets home she's distracted by it, experiences gratefulness and doesn't notice all the popcorn kernals all over the sofa and carpet in the living room.

My sons do have chores. One son is 20 and he's in and out of the house, then girlfriend comes over, and he's very ADD (documented!)...so distracted from his work! Nothing ever gets completed. The other son is almost 15 and he's good with getting his work done, but when I give him the list, I get a don't-we-have-people-to-do-this? look from him. He seems to be working through his adolescence in a state of perpetual anger. So when I get home, I have to redirect their attentions to completing tasks and I get a lot of ugly attitude. At least the dog loves me! Maybe Daisy Mae can make Mommy a salad. And a cocktail.

I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday. Will chat with you all soon.

(My hands and feet are puffy from the heat. Gained 9 lbs in two days from water retention once the temperatures got into the upper 90s. Anybody else suffering from this?)

fatmad
07-09-2012, 11:04 AM
well its monday again. short post, since I continually lose my posts on this darn laptop. just a few more days at the lake, we leave on wednesday. made some decisions about the place. don't have the capital or the ability to take on more debt to build something better, so considering timeshare with family members if they can supply the $. i hope this isn't a crazy idea that will erode my family, if we carefully make a contract. the experiences of folks in this group sharing with family are not encouraging!

Riemontana
07-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Happy Monday!

fbs at 81 this morning. I did 70 minutes of WalkItOut. I enjoyed it. Bonnie, I am about half way through completing my 3rd island. I am going to start doing more walking outside, though, as I get ready for a couple walking races later this summer....

Mad, I think the time share idea could work. Not knowing your family.... I know that many folks in Montana with family cabins earn money to support them by renting them when not in use. The internet makes this really easy. You can charge deposits and such to protect yourself from damage and stay completely in control. No long term obligation. Just an idea......

Georgia, how cool that you get to barter for all those goods and services! That is wonderful.

Bonnie, I hope your cold is short-lived. How are you feeling other than the cold?

Ruth, I hope you get your prescription today. I missed filling my januvia before a business trip last month. I was really nervous but strangely I didn't see much change in my bs:?: It may be a more long term med than I thought... Have a good day and stay cool.

Hippey, LOL, sometimes I drive by some fast food place and think, "hmm, I used to stop there for snacks!" Seriously. Snacks. And then I would still eat a meal later. Wow.

Trish, I hope you are having a calm week. Take care.

Rie

Butterfly50
07-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Hey their feeling pretty good today Rie. I had a very on plan day yesterday food was great and then I did 1 hour of walk it out and then I went out side and walked for 3 miles and it felt good I am a little sore today but that goes with not working out for a while so all is to be expected.

So far my day is good sitting here eating some greek yogurt and a banana with alittle bit of granola and flax seed sprinkled on top. My Fbs was 112 this morning so that ok.

I hope all is going good for everyone one have not had a chance to read all the post. I will be back later.

geoblewis
07-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Mad, I like Rie's idea of having a place you can sublet to others the rest of the year. I want to buy a couple houses in my hometown to do just that. I've done it myself through VRBO.com. I love that site and have always found a place that I can afford, especially when I share accomodation with friends and/or family. I think it's quite easy to list with them.

Holidays with family...now there's a cause for overeating and drinking! I just don't do it any more. It's not that my family is replete with terrible people (only just a couple!), it's that I don't find it a restful, fun experience because there seem to be no boundaries respected and huge assumptions are made about a lot of different things like equitable share of the costs (never happens!), differing views on tidyness and noise levels. And then there's always the one who provokes a "discussion" and goads us into an arguement. Ah...good times! I really do prefer only traveling with good girlfriends, sans husbands and kids. Women who play well with others as well as don't take it personally when I need to take a day off from them to explore on my own.

Rie, I've never heard of Walk It Out before. I have the Wii so I might need to consider it. I'm not sure my kids would join in with me. Perhaps if the game had an arcade-like shooting and blowing up feature...:D

I'm finally feeling fully back from my vacation today. I took the weekend to dial back the carbs and I think I'm doing better now. Really, the hardest part of vacations now is not indulging in carbs. As if it's okay to abuse my pancreas when I'm traveling! Silly me!

Off to work! Catch you later chicks!

Butterfly50
07-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Georgia walk it out is fun I do it and some days you have so much fun that I have walked for two hours before I realized what time has gone by. Look for it on amazon that is where I got mine.

well off to run errands for the day.

pattygirl63
07-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Good Morning Everyone

Didn't get back to post last night. I spent the weekend with DH and washing and cleaning things I can't really do when the kids are here. I was up until 3am each night hile they were gone. As far as I know they will return sometime later today. Got a call from DD school this morning, but I missed it and the answering machine didn't keep it and it appears that she skipped school. Don't know what that does to her school since according to what she told us in the beginning; if she misses one time without a doctor's slip, she will be expelled. These friends of theirs from FL just got some kind of a settlement and they all want to live together or very close to each other. I know at one time they were all talking about them moving up here. So I'm not sure if they are really here for just a visit. Just hope it turns out good and my DH doesn't get hurt in the process.

Ended up with no gain or loss so I assume that is good as the eating has been pretty good. Went to the store this moring to get some healthier things to eat. DH isn't in the mood for anything I fix so I'm going to take advantage of it and get on a good eating routine of healthy foods that I seem to suddenly have a taste for. I will be going to the gym on T-W&Th. It seems everyone goes on Mon & Fri and it is very difficult to get the machines. Not hardly anyone there those those 3 days.

Just got call from DD and she is bringing the baby and the dog home so I'll have to get ready for them.

Have a great day.

Riemontana
07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Hi Georgia

Here is a walkitout link. I love this game.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CZ7P04/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d17_g63_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DE R&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0FARPNKQBPDDEXFTAJ7M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Rie

geoblewis
07-10-2012, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the link! Looks like fun!

Ruthxxx
07-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Whizzing through! Working hard, not eating perfectly, weight is up but BGL is good so I'm coping with my way too busy July!

Riemontana
07-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Hello Everyone

fbs at 89 this morning. I fell asleep last night without my snack and didn't sleep well. I have a really busy week. Tomorrow is the 25th anniversary at my work. We are anticipating about 200 people at our barbque/open house. We are prepping most of the food today. I have a party tonight and pool league tomorrow night. I have to get the camper ready somewhere in there for a trip friday morning. Whew. It is a lot to do.

Sorry, no time for personals. I am off to meet the day. Later!

Rie

fatmad
07-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Just lost another post, but wasn't too long, so will try again. TOday is last full day at the lake, we go home tomorrow. Weather lovely, not humid at all, but when we return home it will be very hot and humid, so will be glad for the air conditioning at home if needed to sleep.
Ruth: I thought you gave up the glyburide a while ago, after starting the victoza? The victoza seemed to work well for you, has there been a change that I missed?
So, about time share, my proposal will be to ask family members only, to put up some capital so we can build a nicer place (we use a very old mobile home) made of cedar for our camp. We don't want to share ownership, but would make plans for those who put in capital to have long term rights to time here. (like 2 weeks a year). One part is that my Dad is going to sell his house, and I was gonna ask him to put in, but possibly have that amount deducted from any inheritance I would get. (like getting it early.) I don't want to do this secretly, my sister will be there when we discuss.
My only concern would be Dad running out of money later. This is unlikely as he is careful with money, but I don't want to be seen as grabby, or taking from him. Relations are relatively good with sister, though I do much more caregiving than her, but she is doing what she is willing to do. Dad has always been clear that the money leftover will always be evenly split, and while we have encouraged him to spend our inheritance and leave nothing behind, that isn't very likely. He has a good pension and not many expenses. So, I will make the proposal next week and see what he and sister think, and decide.
So off to sit by the lake, busy busy busy!;)

PartTimeHippie
07-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Bonnie, I probably use a 2:1 ratio of root beer to almond milk, but that’s just a rough estimate. And, Trish, I’m glad to hear that the probiotics are working. Rie, good luck on the open house! Ruth, enjoy the busy July. Mad and Georgia, my sister-in-law also uses VRBO and has been really pleased with the experience. The renters have been thoughtful and very easy to work with, and the vacation house is rarely unoccupied.

I made a couple of not-so-great choices today, but I kept portions moderate and carbs within reason ... nothing catastrophic. I’m observing what feelings tend to throw me off balance to see if a pattern emerges.

Take care, everyone.

Ruthxxx
07-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Mad, I kept on with the glyburide when I started the Victoza but we cut it in half when my HA1C showed "normal". Then it got cut completely after a month of super lows in FBGLs. However, the past two months of poor eating have meant a slight blip in the HA1C, so I'm back on a half tablet. Right now we are working on finding out what is causing the recurring water retention. Personally I think it's the hot weather!

Been trying to eat more mindfully these days but there are just too many food events in Village life. I never knew that Citizen of the Year meant being at every dog and pony show in the county! I'll be glad when the term is up at the end of the month. I weigh five pounds more than I did on this day last year - not good!

Guess we just have to do the best we can. Right now I'm working on cutting carbs and heading towards a modified Atkins. (Too bad I love summer fruits - and then there's corn!)

fatmad
07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Ruth: i am doing a lower carb ww, but am enjoying fruit for sure. Fruits and most veggies are "free" and that is how I eat.
Last day at the lake, packing up to go home tonight. younger dd wants to see us, is a little homesick herself, wants her DD and DM. how nice!
tomorrow I will weigh in and see what the damage is. Oh well, had a lovely holiday. ttfn

pattygirl63
07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Busy morning, but busy doing whatever I want to do. DSIL is off today so I'm going to the gym and then to do some shopping. Little Jaxx needs to learn to blow a whistle straw she gave him, but he isn't interested. In about 2 days everyone will hate me and I will too, but it is important for him to learn so I'm going to the Dollar Tree to see if I can get him a little flute. I think that a toy will be more appealing to him.

I want to thank all of y'all for being there for me through all this situation in my home. A few days away from them this past weekend was good for them and us... especially me. The break gave me a real breather and time to rethink things and clear my mind and decide how I want this to end for my part. I have a feeling some plans have made with their friends for their future because DGD isn't miserable since one of the boys in that family is her boyfriend. She normally would be walking around crying and acting like she did before they came because she missed him so and wanted to move back to FL. So I figure they have plans to be with them again and that is okay. I will be more surprised if they stay here in the area than I will be if they return to FL or move somewhere with their friends. However, I'm okay with that and it will give DH time to adjust to the idea.

I read the report on DGS progress since his therapy started last October andI realize that right now this baby needs me to help get him catch up to where he should be at this age so he will have a better chance of a decent life. I personally believe I was brought into this family by God to help the oldest DGS so he could reach the potential he is accomplishing now. Everyone was so centered on oldest DGS problems that no one was encouraging him. I am the one who talked to him and taught him that he could overcome those problems and that he could be what he wanted. I made a rule that he had to read at least 1 hr each day because he was playing games on the pc when was at our house. He is graduate with great honors and going to college on scholarships. Very smart young man.

I'm still not sure if some of the baby's problems were caused by lack of attention before they here and that isn't what is important now. I just believe that at this point it is my mission to work with him and give him the good attention that he needs, then he will at least have the chance to reach the same goals his big brother has if he so chooses. I've decided that it really doesn't matter how anyone else acts or responds in this situation. However, how I respond to everything is important to me. My Mama always said "Love is the key" and her Mother always said that "Right always wins". I have to believe this is true.

Love you chickies and hope we all have a Wonderful Wednesday.

Butterfly50
07-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi Guys , well things here are going ok not the best I have been a banded by everyone in the house for two days they have been doing what they want and i have been here by myself I love the peace and quiet but then I find myself thinking of all kinds of things I set here last night and was crying for no reason at all. This makes the third day now I have been by myslef and I think it is getting to me . I know the kids needs to grow up. But I dont know what to do with myself.

Well I guess I will go soak with my self :(

pattygirl63
07-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi Guys , well things here are going ok not the best I have been a banded by everyone in the house for two days they have been doing what they want and i have been here by myself I love the peace and quiet but then I find myself thinking of all kinds of things I set here last night and was crying for no reason at all. This makes the third day now I have been by myslef and I think it is getting to me . I know the kids needs to grow up. But I dont know what to do with myself.

Well I guess I will go soak with my self :(

I remember that empty nest syndrome feeling. Try to think of things "Bonnie enjoys doing for Bonnie" on days like that because they don't last forever and throughout life you will have moments when you can have them, but can't. Sounds easier than it is but you will learn to use days like that as "special" days as time goes by.

pattygirl63
07-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Well, I can't find a way to go to the Y as often as I really want to and sometimes when I go I can't get the recumbent bike which I have come to absolutely love doing. When the kids go back to school, it will be very difficult to get there on a regular basis at the time each day that I want to go with the baby's therapy and having to pick the youngest DGD up from school. So today I talked DH into letting me get a recumbent bike for my birthday coming up next month. I ordered it today from Walmart and it is supposed to be here by next Friday. I will finish my membership at the Y this month and stop. I figure this is a good deal because the monthly membership fee I would pay in the next 4 months will actually pay for the bike and then that money will be saved to go on something else. Having it at home, I can use it everyday and I read that the benefits from using one is fantastic. I'm hoping that DH will decide to use it too.

I have weights here at the house I will use and do some of the motions I did with the machines. I am really excited about having an exercise program that I can do here at home and enjoy at the same time.

Riemontana
07-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Hello Friends!

It is almost 11pm here and I have been at it since early this morning. I had a successful barbeque at my work. More than 200 people in attendance and it was terrific.

My camper is loaded, hitched and ready to go. I am leaving early in the morning for the Boulder River in the Gallatin national forest. If you ever saw the movie, "a River Runs Through it" with Robert Redford, it was filmed on the Boulder. I hear the fishing isn't very good right now but that isn't important. I will be standing in the water, flicking out my fly line and hoping that a trout will rise. In the evenings, I will enjoy the campfire with my friends and some good wine. I prepared marinated chicken and it will be one of our evening meals. I am looking forward to the scent of coffee brewing in the mountains and the chance to read a book in the cool mountain air.

sorry that I don't have time for personals but I need to get to bed and head out early. Hoping for a healthy weekend and a good time for all. Back on Sunday....

Rie

Ruthxxx
07-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Rie, enjoy "getting lost in Montana". I have never been there but it's on my bucket list.

Bonnie, good advice from Patty. Take "me" time - I am just learning to do that and should have worked on it years ago.

Patty, yes! Getting the bike is a great idea and should work out well for your busy life.

Hi to the rest of us as I crank up my very early morning.

Weight is up a tad but I know it's water retention because my Crocs are tight. I am trying to drink more water in this heat but was very busy judging Fair work yesterday and didn't do it as usual. BGL is great which is the main thing.

Have a good TGIF and stay hydrated if you are in this oven of weather!

fatmad
07-13-2012, 09:28 AM
for my part, the weight is on a bit, officially gained 2.5 pounds after the wedding, so now its time to get it off. packing food as I go to a delivery.

pattygirl63
07-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Hi Chickies,

I've had a great times with DD last few days. She did a semi practice delivery of a baby at school the other day and couldn't wait to share it with DH and me. She was so excited. I had a little incident with the youngest DGD yesterday that I think changed everything. She eats soup everyday and I had just reminded her day before yesterday that she could not take it upstairs to eat. Yesterday she made a huge bowl of it and went upstairs with it. Her Mom was home so I guess she thought she could get by with it. So I called her and made her bring it back down to eat it in the dining room. While she was eating she told me "Everybody else does it and they get by with it". So I proceeded to explain to her that it may look like they get by with doing things I ask them not to do but they really don't. I told her that there are many times I see them sneak around and do things that her Grandad and I have asked them not to do and they may think they got by with it because I just don't bother to make a big deal about it because they don't listen. However, what they don't know is that they have proved to me that I cannot trust them and what they don't realize is that they have ruined their relationship with me because they have lost my trust and I will never trust them again, so they didn't get by with anything. In fact, they lost more than they know. I'm sure she told her Mom what I said, because things have really changed. Last night night DD came in to tell her daddy and me that the children's daddy had called her to tell her his wife of 2 months has left him and is getting a divorce and wanted tell her because he is telling the children Sunday. Later I was sweeping some stuff up off the dining room floor and she got the dust pan and helped me by picking it up and putting it into the trash. This morning we had coffee and spent some time together just talking... a real mother/daughter time. I really enjoyed it. She has been doing little things around the house off and on ever since I had the talk with DGD.

I got a message from Walmart and my bike has been shipped. DD wants the old upright stationary bike so she will take that one. I've got to get in my room this weekend and get things arranged so I can put the new one in the there. Since we are wall to wall, my closet will get a good cleaning out hoping I can put DH grandmothers rocker in there and then put stuff in and around it. I have a rocker I brought in from the porch that I would love to keep in there but I will probably move it to the deck for oldest DGS to sit in when he goes out for quiet meditation time. So my weekend will be spent getting exercise doing some cleaning. That will probably be much better for me and DH too because we both like things organized and our room and my closet has been anything but organized since they moved in a year ago.

Rie I never did fly fishing. DH of 31 yrs brother loved fly fishing. Looked too hard to me and like a lot of work. I did better with a regular rod and real. This DH doesn't care for fishing and the fish you catch in the pond behind us has to be thrown back so haven't fished in years. Enjoy your trip and have a lot of fun.

Ruth You are some busy lady. Take care of yourself as much as you can.

Mad It won't take you long to get those few lbs back off.

Georgia, Bonnie, Hippie and everyone else:wave:

Y'all have a nice weekend!!!

fatmad
07-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I did eat one of my atkins bars while working yesterday, then went out for a late lunch with my colleague, realized I was quite dehydrated, hadn't had anything to drink the whole time at the hospital. Had 5 glasses of ice water with my lunch salad, and then had a lovely rich dessert that I should not have had, but was a chocoholic's delight. When I get too thirsty I definitely overeat and don't recognize what I really need. On track better today.
Trish, that was nice to connect with DD, and that she enjoyed working with women delivering, she may have a real calling there, and might go on to midwifery after nursing if she really enjoys that.
Very hot and humid here today, so will have to wait until evening to weed in the gardens.
Have a lovely July weekend friends, especially Rie out in the wilds of Montana!

PartTimeHippie
07-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi, all. I've been fighting the tyranny of the ticker for the past day or so.

After steady losses for the first week, the scale crept up a pound yesterday. Now what's really important is that I adopted and stuck to some great healthy eating habits; but, instead of celebrating the positive lifestyle adjustments, I focused on one ridiculous number and felt as though I'd failed.

In response, I spent yesterday eating whatever I wanted. After a treat that turned out to be fairly "blah," followed by a surprisingly icky fast food meal, I discovered that I felt more alert and had a greater sense of well-being after eating healthy food.

The whole experience gave me the opportunity to reassess what my intentions really are and to put the numbers on the scale into perspective. (They're definitely not the sole measure of success when it comes to getting healthier, so I've adjusted my ticker to reflect a more modest weight target.) I'm now off to the farmers' market with many creative green recipes in my head, ready to get back on a positive track.

fatmad
07-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Hippie: remember too that numbers will fluctuate. While I am fortunate to have achieved menopause and no longer have hormone fluctuations that can cause 5 pound weight gain overnight (yes, really happened), people do get water weight gain about TOM, or if eating a lot of salty food, especially oriental foods. So there is no real reason to assume your gain was from the eating. Also, in this thread, there is another reason to eat well, and that is controlling our sugars, and this may be why you feel better with healthier foods. Glad you are viewing things through a new lens, and may you enjoy the good food on the way.

fatmad
07-16-2012, 08:39 AM
fasting bs of 4.7 today, first time testing in a week. weight the same, but not exercising much. weeding the garden is work, but doesn't get the heart rate up much! Today will be wicked hot, and have lots of visits to do, so will be in and out of air conditioning, should be survivable.
Having a healthy breakfast of cottage cheese and fresh local raspberries. with a little splenda, its splendid. Didn't add fibre 1 today, maybe tomorrow.
Have a good MOnday friends.

Ruthxxx
07-16-2012, 09:16 AM
"keepin' on keepin' on"! Weight is staying the same and FBGL is just fine. I have football feet and 'kankles' but my doc is on holidays so I am without diuretics. Lots of water is happening and I have very little appetite when it's so hot. We'll see what happens when the heat wave disappears, maybe in this lifetime. :(

Riemontana
07-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Hello Friends

fbs at 96 this morning. I made a mistake and took off for the mountains without my medications :( I had a couple doses of metformin in my purse but all the others were at home. My bs stayed in the high 90's but I need to be more careful. My weight is up several pounds but I am puffy and swollen. Oh well, I enjoyed the mountains very much. My new camper was a lovely help to camping and I am so glad that I bought it.

Ruth, I hope the ankles go down. I think mine is just due to too many salty foods in the mountains. Lots of water is a good thing.

Mad, keep cool in between air conditioning visits. ;)

Hippie, my weight fluctuates as much as 5 pounds in a day or two if I have too much salt, etc. The overall trend is important. Hang in there.

Trish it sounds like things are improving in your house. I am glad.

Bonnie, I hope things are good with you.

Work today and then pool league tonight so this will be a long day. Later!

Rie

fatmad
07-17-2012, 09:59 AM
wahoo, back down below 170 again, (just barely though) so the post wedding weight is coming off. Got to yoga last night. All in all, things are good.
Very hot, up to 41 today, yikes.

Butterfly50
07-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Here it is another week and not been able to do what I needed too. The hubby got sick he has a kidney stone and men are such babies when they dont feel good. Then all of his joint are hurting him . They are trying to find out why but as usual they have no answers for him. He was tested to see if he has what my children has Anklelosing Spondlitis . But they say no but they do think it is some form of arthritis . More waiting. Then I happen t get sick . On top of going back and forth with the aunt to her dr apt. Man this is enough I have to do something. I have gained some weight back and I REFUSE to take it all back that I lost I need to do something and very soon.......

Any one here take fish oil Wanting to know how it does for you. How much do you take.

PartTimeHippie
07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Mad and Rie, thanks so very much for your words of encouragement. Also, hello to Bonnie, Ruth, and everyone else here. Have a good week, all.

Wannabehealthy
07-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone! I haven't been here for a while. Lately my eating has not been what it should be and my BS has been creeping up. I know I have to watch my carbs, but they are sneaking back into my diet and causing havoc. I got really scared on Monday when I checked my BS after lunch and it was 388. I knew I didn't feel well, and that was why! I immediately went for a walk on my treadmill and then after a veggie dinner, went for another walk. By bedtime I was at 182. I don't want to go to the doctor and have him put me on more meds. I know I can't eat the carbs. I just have to be more diligent with it. Reading the posts here from all of you gives me incentive and tells me that I am not alone in this. I hate that I'm diabetic but it's not going to go away, so I have to handle it the best I can.

geoblewis
07-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Hey chickies, hope you're all doing well. I disappeared for a bit, fell into a vat of hormonal carb feasting, but am back on track, again. Oy! I hate it when my body acts like it's going to produce a period (intense carb cravings, intense crabbiness, edema...) but then the actual bleeding never happens. This is all part of the joy that is menopause!

But for the last three days, I've been able to dial back the carb intake again and get back to under 35 gm a day. I shed 4 of the 10 lbs I packed on since last week. It was all water, since I couldn't get some of my shoes on but I could easily get into my size 22 clothes. (Thank God for spandex!) Hoping to wear my strappy summer sandals again soon. I was able to get rid of most of my wide width shoes earlier in the year because I had lost weight and the edema in my lower legs had gone way down. But this week's water retention had me barefoot and staying at home.

No exercise for me this week. Pilates instructor is on vacation, plus my plantar fasciitis is still keeping me from needing to wear shoes and go out. Got a rolly nubby thing and am working out the kinks. I'm anxious to get back to my cardio Pilates class. It was helping me burn off my belly fat!

Take care and see you soon!

Ruthxxx
07-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Have not been to the gym for a week now - just too darned hot! We had a tornado touch down nearby and lost our power - that meant no AC or water and was pretty bad in the high 90's heat! Things are back to normal now except for the wind-damage cleanup.

FBGL is stable and weight is starting down again.

pattygirl63
07-19-2012, 11:50 AM
A quick flyby. DD is off the rest of the week and DSIL is in FL. DD and youngest DGD are out pulling weeds and trimming bushes. She does a beautiful job when she does it.

Got my recumbent stationary bike. DH and I put it together and I did 25 minutes on it... almost 3 miles. It is so nice to have it here. I will be able to take my light weights and do those while riding and as Sansone says burn more cals. I didn't use the weights last night.

Ruthie I couldn't get to the gym as often as I wanted and couldn't get the bike when I got there this way I have it to use whenever I want. As for incentive? I hadn't been to the Y in a week and my knees were really bothering me. Just 25 minutes on the recumbent bike and my knees didn't hurt any more. Knees are asking for it again this morning. Hope the weather is nicer to you today.

Have a good day everyone.

Wannabehealthy
07-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Trish - As I read through the posts yesterday, I noticed that you mentioned the New Atkins book. I looked it up and it seems to be just what I need to nudge me back to the low carb program that kept me thin for so many years. I ordered a used copy and it is on it's way! I am really a carboholic and a very bad person to be diabetic, but I know in my heart that this is the WOE that is best for me for my weight and blood sugar, and I really don't want all the bad things that come along with uncontrolled blood sugar. I'm looking forward to reading this book!

Riemontana
07-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Hello All,

Fbs at 86 this morning. I am sorry that I have been MIA. Just such a busy week! I have been working and I have been scheduled for some kind of activity every evening.

Carol, wowsers girl! I hope that bs stays down. Nice to see you here again. You have been through so much that I know that you can handle this.

Trish, glad that DD is getting some yard work done for you.

Bonnie, I hope that you are having an easier week.

Ruth, it is really hot here, also. Makes me tired.:(

Georgia, good job on dialing back the carbs.

Mad, how are you? Did you get anything worked out on the cabin?

Well, gotta go. Later everyone

Rie

pattygirl63
07-20-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm enjoying my recumbent bike. I did 30 minutes yesterday morning and 15 more last. night. I did the whole 45 minutes all at once today. I would like to do 45 minutest Mon - Saturday and take Sunday off, but will see. I get a lot of reading done while I'm on it. Plus I use light weights while riding just I did when doing Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds. I figure if using them increases the benefits while walking that it has to do the same when riding the recumbent stationary bike. Weight seems to be stable and hope to see another loss soon.

Busy weekend coming up. Women's meeting at church Saturday and taking DD and DGDs out after church Sunday. DGS and DSIL won't be back from FL until Monday night. I'm not going to beauty shop any more. I decided to start doing it myself. I can do it, even cut it, perm and color it as well as wash and blow dry and do it a whole lot cheaper and use the money somewhere else. And I can get the color I want... I like blondish red and beauticians always want to make me blonde and tone down the red. This way I not only will have the color I want but the style I want as well.

slmn11 While I do use some of the basics ideas I learned from Atkins I have to admit that I do not do a strict lowcarb diet. I lean more toward Intuitive Eating and I am presently reading a book by Dr. Rita Hancock "The Eden Diet" book again and will be using the workbook by the same name. I'm just willing to give up all the carbs especially the fruits and some grains.

Rie Yes, it was nice for DD and DGD to help DH with the yard. Things are perfect, but nothing ever is. However the improvement is very pleasant and I can live with it. She has been spending more time with us since her DH is away and Tony talked to her last night about putting the baby in day care so he can learn some social skills and the therapists will be able to evaluate him better. I told her that I had heard she could get a lower rate because she is a student. She said she would check into it. DH wisely made it about what is good for the baby rather than about us not wanting to babysit all the time. In fact, we never mentioned that part and don't think we should. He does need to be around other people because he is starting to throw fits. I can calm him down but don't really want that job.

Bonnie, Carol, Georgia, Mad, Ruthie and others reading:wave:

Y'ALL HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

Ruthxxx
07-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Hi there. You know, I am really, really tired! It just hit me today. I worked at the Fair Office this morning, trouble shooting their computers, answering phones and dealing with the pre-Fair hassles including doing an interview for the local newspaper. Worked a bit here at home until four when I went out to garden. I just came in, admitting I feel old and weary so am going to goof off and watch TV after an early dinner. It may even be ww pasta with canned sauce - something really simple. It's "Ruthie Time"!

pattygirl63
07-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi there. You know, I am really, really tired! It just hit me today. I worked at the Fair Office this morning, trouble shooting their computers, answering phones and dealing with the pre-Fair hassles including doing an interview for the local newspaper. Worked a bit here at home until four when I went out to garden. I just came in, admitting I feel old and weary so am going to goof off and watch TV after an early dinner. It may even be ww pasta with canned sauce - something really simple. It's "Ruthie Time"!

Good for you Ruthie. Sounds like it your "Ruthie Time" is well deserved and "about time". Enjoy.

pattygirl63
07-20-2012, 08:14 PM
I did 45 minutes on the bike and then decided to ride some more while talking to my Daddy and ended up doing 1hr of exercise on it. Woohoo. I read the reviews on this bike before I bought it and some of the people said that it is addictive. They might be right. I am so pleased with me.:lol:

Ruthxxx
07-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Sorry for the whine but feeling much better this morning - early bed after dozing off watching TV. Yesterday was a day when things just kept coming at me and I felt out of control. Today will be better.

Weight is still stuck at 183.something - it varies daily - and we are headed into another very warm period. Lots of water on the menu for the next week as I deal with pre-Fair and Fair opening stuff. I will not have my annual chips and hot dog with sauerkraut lunch! BGL is nice and stable and I intend to keep it that way.

fatmad
07-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi all< not ignoring you this time, but Dh took the turbo hub for the internet to the cottage so he could go back there, but still do some work, so I am mostly without internet, which is actually just fine. Am at my Dad's for his garage sale, so we will see what works out about the cottage, I am not really in a hurry about it. He is still so ambivalent about what he wants, and there are a few signs of forgetfulness, so I am more worried about him.
ALSO, yesterday, went to Buffalo for groceries, and bought some nice diabetic friendly foods. You Americans have much more variety in some foods, and I have tried some and found them acceptable, so may do it again in August when here again. ice cream made with splenda, not maltilol in it, and a sugar free smuckers chocolate sauce, different varieties of diet sodas, some nice veggie things (veggie souffle) and had a nice day shopping with my aunt, so all in all a good weekend, even with DH away.
maybe back Monday.
ttfn

pattygirl63
07-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Guess I overdid this bike yesterday. My right knee didn't like it. Ran errands before my church ladies meeting and then went to Wal-mart. Got home and put away the groceries and my knee started feeling very uncomfortable. That knee has not given me any trouble although I did have problems with the leg as a teen. So will take 2 days off from riding and go back to it Monday and do 30 min 3 days a week and eventually work up to 30 min 4 days a week. Funny thing is the ladies at the meeting had told me that I was going too fast with it and that this is how they were told to do their treadmills. Strange thing is I did try using the bike and it actually felt good, but didn't keep going as I was afraid I might cause myself more problems. So will follow recommendations and go slower.

geoblewis
07-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey chickies, just touching base with you all this weekend. My life is full when the boys are home from school and the quiet moments when I can check in on 3FC seem to get sucked up by laundry and cleaning the kitchen.

Temps are bumping up to 100 again and so the summertime bloat continues. Wish that slashing the carb intake helped more with this issue. Trying to keep in mind that this is just a temporary problem and that all will be well on the other end of the summer. If I stick to the very low carb food plan, then when the last of the summer bloat leaves my body, I'll weigh even less!

I was looking over my records and figured out I've lost about 30 lbs in the last year. :D Projecting forward, I would be pleased with a similar loss in the next year. I'm not going back to any of my old eating patterns. They don't make me feel good. They only help me escape the difficult emotion of the moment. And the more authentic I feel in my skin, the less I feel The Call of the KFC!

I did have a couple days last week when The Call of the KFC was strong - dealing with hormonal issues and my mother at the same time. I didn't follow The Call, but I did eat a bit too much salty, fatty food at home. So glad there wasn't any bread in the house and it was too hot to cook pasta and potatoes!

Patty, exercise bikes of all sorts have messed with my knees. Never got any instruction on the right or wrong way of doing it, so I'm curious about what you're being told to do. I have problems using the treadmill too, but it's okay if I don't go for speed but do go for distance and wear the right shoes. I'm still struggling with foot issues after my vacation walking marathons. Wearing a brace at night and actually going in for some shiatsu massage for the plantar fasciitis this afternoon. I'm really looking forward to that!

My very best to all of you! Hope to chat again soon!

pattygirl63
07-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Georgia I don't usually go for speed either although I did play around with some fast and some slow peddling. Once my knee is well and I can go back to using it again, it will go at a steady pace and DH thinks I should start out at 15 minutes a day for a while and take my time building up to more time. I will follow his advice. DD had said something about me doing longer and I thought I could. Ladies at church said that they had been told when they started at the gym (one is a member of Curves) to start out at 30 minutes 3x a week and then build up to 30 min 4x a week. Wish I had known that before I did this.

Ruthxxx
07-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Poop! Weight is up again and I know it's water retention. Cut the carb time is here again!

May not be around much this week as the Fair opens Thursday and I have the usual huge task list that will take me right through to Friday morning. Keeping my cool until after opening ceremonies on Thursday night is my goal. After that I can relax and enjoy myself a bit before I get ready for my Rehoboth Beach holiday.

Butterfly50
07-23-2012, 09:54 AM
On friday we decided to pack the car and go to Buford GA , We got in about 1:30 am . Had a good relaxing weekend. I got a good look at myself Our Uncle where we stayed has a big mirror in his bathroom and I went to take a shower and it showed me a picture that I didnt want to see. But I went back into the bathroom later and made some adjustments to my cloths and took a pic on my ipod I thought it would be a good visual to kick start to doing something for myself.
While we were their my left foot start to swell and stayed like that for a few days now I am gonna go to the dr to make sure it is nothing bad I swear though it feel like I sprang my foot but I didnt I swear so I guess I will jest have to start off with the eating to day and not the exercise. I wouldnt want to make it worse.

I hope all is doing fine But I better be going have lots to do before I go to the DR. Check back later.

Riemontana
07-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Hello Friends.

Sorry that I have been MIA. Just really busy with summer time. Fishing, camping and family are keeping me busy. My bs is very stable in the low 80's and my weight is also stable.:( Oh well, I hope to get back here for personals later.

Rie

Ruthxxx
07-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Been MIA myself a lot. Weight is still up from the heat but BGL is staying in a good range. I may not be around much the rest of this week (Delta Fair) and then am off to Rehoboth Beach for a week - until Aug. 5th.

Be as good as possible and remember to start an August Chat.

Butterfly50
07-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Went to the Doctor yesterday and they told me first they thought I had tendinitis then after they took the xray they said I had a bone spur . I think it is more the tendinitis then the bone spur he gave me anti inflammatory witch seem to be helping alot.

Eating went well yestuday and as soon as I can I will start working out. My sugar this morning was 96 so that was good. Have so much to do today I will try and check back later.

Riemontana
07-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Hello all

fbs at 71 this morning. I still have very little time. I breakfasted on an egg with 2 egg whites and a small apple. Workouts are suffering with no time and I hope to get back to it soon.

Later everyone!

Rie

pattygirl63
07-24-2012, 02:47 PM
A quick flyby. I am using DH pc as the adapter wire to mine was split somehow. So I have to use his pc since the battery went down on mine. I don't like using his too much. May not have the plug until Monday so I won't be wriing much.

Ruthie & Rie Enjoy your trips.

Bonnie Hope your foot is better soon.

I'm still babying my knee although it is a lot better. We still have two walkers from when DH Mother was living so I'm using that. DD worked for an orthorpedic for about 10 yrs so she has been telling what to do to take care of the knee. The kids are having to do everything for themselves also taking cae of the baby since I can't lift him. Mostly staying off of it. Great time for my pc to be down, but I will be doing lots of reading. I will be lurking until I get my pc back.

Hope everybody has a great week.

LadyKnight1
07-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Hi!

I have been improving my eating and activity levels and my glucose readings show it! DH has decided to go gluten free to see if his stomach issues improve and I am taking the plunge as well. This is a major leap for me. I don't like change coming from outside, and poor DH has heard about that! I have never cooked a meal intentionally gluten free, so I explored the grocery store this afternoon. I found a cereal, baking mix and pancake mix for DH to try. I changed dinner plans to accommodate this new diet.

Tonight: Chuck steak smothered with sauteed onions and mushrooms. I am going to use the baking mix instead of flour for the roux. Served with lean mashed potatoes and a vegetable.

Tomorrow: Boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into strips, seasoned and cooked on the griddle. Top with cheddar cheese and possibly bacon. Serve with a salad.

Thursday: Chicken Marsala with rice.

I have a plan, and I feel a bit better now. I am not a creature of change!

Wannabehealthy
07-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Trish - When I was in my 20's and 30's I had lost and maintained my weight by following Atkins, but I also did not follow it 100%. For the most part, I stayed away from starchy carbs, but did not eliminate them altogether. If I started to gain I would cut back for awhile to get my weight back in line. DH loves carbs, so since marrying him it has been harder to stay away from them and it shows. He wants them unlimited with every meal, so it's better for us to eat out where we can each choose a different meal.

I received my copy of the book a couple days ago. I started out by reading the segment regarding diabetes and then went through picking out chapters that interested me. Eventually, I will start at the beginning and read the whole thing through. I do know what to do, but I just need something to get me started again. I did well yesterday and hope to keep it up.

I would like to hear what pointers your DD gave you about your knee. My right knee is bad, with OA and fluid. I have an elastic knee brace that I wear when I exercise and if I forget to put it on I really pay the next day. I cannot use an exercise bike at all, even with the brace. When I went to cardiac rehab I told them that but it was part of the program and they made me do it anyway. I hated that and wished they would have altered my program with a little more exercise on something else. It might have helped my heart but really killed my knee.

Bonnie - There's nothing like a full length mirror to shock you into reality! We have one in our bathroom but I guess I'm so used to it I don't even look at it half the time. I had DH take a pic of me in my underwear and I saved it hidden on my computer. You really have to know where it is to find it. LOL I click on it and look at it once in a while to remind myself of my goals. Another thing I like to do is try on clothes when I'm shopping. It gets me back to my diet/exercise program every time!

Riemontana
07-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Hello Friends,

fbs at 91 this morning. I am low on groceries - not usual for me so I had eggs and a piece of whole grain toast for breakfast. Not as satisfying as my usual.

Trish I am interested in your DD's advice on your knee. It has been amazing to me that more activity helps my pain. Of course, I have also made your mistake and done too much too fast. I struggle with bikes and I really want to be able to ride a bike with my gs. Hopefully soon.

So Carol, what target are you setting for carbs? It has been really helpful to me that everyone in the house (except the little guy) has followed my eating plan.

Bonnie, just one day at a time, girlie. I know you can do it.

Ruth, hope you are enjoying the fair festivities.

Mad, are you still on holiday? How is your dad?

LadyKnight, yup, having a food plan is so much easier. It is a comfort.

Later!

Rie

pattygirl63
07-25-2012, 12:00 PM
The knee is a whole lot better this morning. DD just had me put ice pak on it for a couple of days. Then she told me to put heat on it to get circulation going... she said alternating hot/cold would be better, but that was too much trouble to me so I just used heat yesterday. The main thing is to stay off of it as much as possible. She did tell me to do foot exercises and stretch the leg from time to time during the day. She said that I need to baby it for about a week and I take ibuprofin for the pain.

Gina I don't think I've welcomed you. WELCOME to the group.

Making this short. Y'all have a great day.

fatmad
07-25-2012, 04:48 PM
hello gang, a short hello as I don't have internet at home for another week. (husband has the hub at the cottage). No weight loss this week again. Not happy about that, so will be working doubly hard next week. I am realizing I need a plan for certain things or I just won't get through the cravings, even when I am not hungry. This week has been good though, I have been out and about and gardening a lot at home. So all the activity is keeping me away from snacking. Maybe a woosh is coming my way.

pattygirl63
07-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Got the charger plug for my pc and I'm back online. Had a pretty good day. I just eat quick things right now so I don't have to stand on my leg. I think I'll be walking fine by Friday. Won't plan on doing the bike again until Monday and will be smarter with it this time.

geoblewis
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Yesterday I spent most of my time in food prep for an upcoming event at church. Someone said they'd provide lunch. I should know better and not trust that they will bring the best things for me to eat. What is it about church-sponsored meals? It's like we're going to be running a marathon. Carb-loading at it's finest! Have learned my lesson and am bringing my lunch today. And if the Overly Sensitive Lunch Lady is offended by that...well, she obviously wasn't considering my feelings yesterday!

I have lots of homegrown tomatoes this week and am really enjoying them! Having some in my eggs in a few minutes...

Have a lovely day!

Riemontana
07-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Hello friends!

fbs at 76 this morning. I still have problems from the skin infection but I am hoping that I will get better soon.

A little frustration: the nurse practitioner, who saw me on thursday because it wasn't getting better, made an offhand remark, "well, the diabetes is probably why this isn't getting better". Now, normally, she is very kind. But, this remark was made in a tone that said, "this is your fault". :( Since diagnosis almost 2 years ago, I have never had an A1c above 5.5 and I have no problems normally with wound healing. Even my after-meals bs readings rarely go over 110. I think that they haven't figured out how to handle this infection and just turn and blame the diabetes. What is it with health care professionals often treat diabetes as a character flaw? Sorry for the rant....

Georgia, I don't know why all those church dinners are so loaded with processed carbs. I think it is a combination of ignorance and the fact that pasta and other carbs are so cheap. :hug:

Mad, stable weight is better than climbing weight :o I plan to hit it hard with you when I return from my trip.

Trish, I hope your knee is improving.

Everyone else.... have a healthful and enjoyable day.

Rie

Ruthxxx
07-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Whew! Just finished my last official event at the Fair and decided to splurge on a fresh lemonade from Mr Lemon! (Yes, he wears a lemon suit and squeezes the stuff fresh!) was delighted to find he now does it sugar-free! People are learning!

I also won another food battle with the person who feeds the judges lunch after the morning of judging. She usually has the Church ladies cater which is really trite and very carby. This time I subsidized the lunch a bit and ordered a lunch of beautiful ww tortilla wraps with veggies, chicken, tuna and local cheese all beautifully decorated with herbs and borage flowers. Dessert was fruit skewers with yogurt dip and some excellent lavender shortbread cookies! The judges were delighted! There IS hope!

I have tonight's dinner (here at home!) ready to roll and will be able to eat healthy tomorrow. (I do an afternoon of scooping ice cream which does not tempt me at all when I'm working with it!)

Despite somewhat erratic eating, the weight has dropped a bit and BGL is steady as she goes!

Rie, let me know if you want me to come and beat up that insensitive NP. How dare she! And 5.5 is normal range around here at least.

One more day of Village duties and then I'm outta here. I am not at all concerned about food for the next week. We will be focusing on veggies, fruits and fresh seafood - Cottagebythesea (another MOD) is a vegetarian and an excellent cook! We will probably go out for lunch and have simple evening meals at home. This may be the time to learn to operate my new Canon camera which I've had for 18 months! Anybody seen the manual?

pattygirl63
07-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Knee was better this morning and then I went to Walmart and walked around and it got sore again. I had planned to use the riding cart but they were all taken. So I just kind of used the shopping cart like you use a walker, but I think the problem was walking on concrete. We have wood floors at home and that makes a lot of difference. I got an ice pack on it now. The pain moves around. Originally was above the knee cap, moved to the ligament behind the knee and last night it had become a twinge on the left side of the knee cap. It was pretty much pain free this morning but now it is under the knee cap. I forgot to drink my liquid glucosemine and chlorindroten (sp) for a few days so I'm sure that didn't help. I took some when I got home.

Rie From what my doc said, I don't think you could be experiencing anything caused by diabetes especially since you've had it under control for so long. Surely she was having a bad day and you got the brunt of it. I am so sorry about that.

Georgia I think a lot of people think all those carbs are good for you. I know when I went to see a nutritionist when I was first diagnosed told me she wanted me to eat at least 12 starchy carbs a day. I never went back as I knew she couldn't help me. It is ashame that so many people are made to believe that they are eating healthy when they eat all those carbs.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Riemontana
07-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Hello Friends

fbs at 81 this morning. I am up early and headed to the family reunion that I have organized. I am barbqueing about 80 pounds of chicken. My youngest son and his family are home. Tomorrow we will head for the mountains.

Ruth, thanks for understanding. Your luncheon sounds lovely and it was a great solution. Have a great vacation.

Trish, I hope the knee continues to recover.

Mad, Georgia and others, have a great weekend!

Rie

Wannabehealthy
07-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Since I cut way back on carbs my blood sugar has improved greatly. I'm not where I want to be, but much better than I was. Rie I don't actually have a target for carbs. I have pretty much eliminated bread, potatoes and pasta which are my main problems, eating protein at every meal and filling up on veggies. I have also started eating smaller meals. Unfortunately, I am not as diligent as you are. I know what to do, I just don't always do it. The thought of adding more meds gives me reason to try harder, but if I have to, I have to. I know people who cannot see or who have lost limbs to diabetes, and I don't want that.

pattygirl63
07-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Putting heat pad on the knee today and I think it is helping. I read something the other day in some newsletter I got about eating for the joints... pain relief. Can't remember who sent it and I've already erased it so I googled it. Fish and berries, flaxseed are good for the joints. I also think the article I got said that drinking plenty of water helps. I haven't been really good at that the past few days. However, today I'm working at keeping the carbs low again although not Induction low. I read on another site where someone who was just diagnosed T-2 Diabetic and her doc told her to keep her carbs below 150 but not to go lower than 135. Someone else on there said that South Beach is more like 60 carbs. So I think I could could keep my carbs between 60 and 100 easy. I don't think there is any reason to keep them at 135. In fact, I decided that just for the heck of it to count my carbs/calories today just to see how many I will have by the end of the day it comes out to just below 60 carbs and around 1000 calories. I know they say not to eat less than 1200 calories so may have to add 200 more. I could do that with a can of tuna to get the calories up and keep the carbs around 60. It might even make my knee happy as well.

Ruthie Great job the way you handled the food at the fair and you have your plan for your trip. Good for you. Have fun.

slmn11 Glad you are getting your bs under control. I'm working at that myself. I don't want the complications that comes from diabetes either.

Rie Have fun at your family reunion and time with your son and family.

Mad, Bonnie, Georgia and everyone else.:wave:

pattygirl63
07-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Went to bed at 2:30 this morning and slept until after 12:30 am. Did not even try to get up and go to church this morming. Leg was not hurting when I first got up. But once I started moving around it started hurting some. I think putting heat on it yesterday was a bad move so using ice pack today and staying off of it except to go to bathroom. It feels pretty much like it did before I went to Walmart so not going to do anything to keep it from fully healing this time. I've told everyone that I cannot be lifting the baby so they have to take care of him. This is one time that I have to take care of me.

Back on track with my eating too. I can't seem to get above 1100 calories but am eating about 60 carbs so not going to worry about it right now. i don't mind having a little bit of a jump start. My FBS is down from where it has been and I'm not on any meds for it right now. So I am so happy with that. Changed my ticker. I'm down another lb for a total of 8 lbs lost. I've changed my goal weight to 150 knowing I will have the option to go down
further if I want to when I reach the 150. DH always says since i looked so good at 165 lbs that he thinks I would look good at 150. So the new goal is his idea.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

geoblewis
07-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Ice that knee, Trish. Icing is good on everything!:D

pattygirl63
07-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Ice that knee, Trish. Icing is good on everything!:D

Thanx Georgia I did and it really has helped.

geoblewis
08-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, now it's my turn to apply icing to my leg. I kinda blitzed my quad again. I think it's cascade failure from the foot, because it has affected my knee as well as lower back. And this week, I worked out hard, two workouts per day. Yesterday afternoon, after Pilates, my body said, "Okay, girlfriend, that's it!" So I'm going to rest well over the weekend, curl up with a good book and a bottle of Motrin, and ice.

Sunday I'm going to Big Sur, on the California coast. Just read there's no Internet or cell phone service there...what a bunch of hippees! :D I'm going for a writing retreat, but there will be times when I will sneak off in my car back to civilization where I can get 3G on my HotSpot phone and get some work done for clients. I'll be gone a week. I'm bringing my workout gear, weights and bands, and I plan to get in some quality workouts on the beach!

Doing really well with the very low carb restriction again. I feel good!

Have a great weekend!