Old 06-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Upset about Weight loss/illness

For the last 6 months, I've tried so hard to get back on track. I'll have 2-4 weeks of success and whammo! I'll get sick. Once I get sick, depending on the illness (colds, strep, ear infections), I head straight to my comfort food and I land straight back around 249ish. I work in a nursing home, I'm constantly stressed with two jobs and overtime. I understand I work in a germy environment but shouldn't healthy food help me feel better? I'm so close to giving up because of this. One of my friends says "push through it, your body is detoxing." But if that's true, my body is insane. It's not like I'm "making up symptoms/false colds/whatever" to have an excuse to eat comfort foods. I've had to go to the doctor numerous times. Maybe I'm unlucky? I've been struggling to get under 240 for 8 months. I haven't even stepped on the scale lately but I know it's bad. I'm thinking about 255 now since I stopped exercising due to the last illnesses I had two weeks ago.

I was pondering going back to WW thinking maybe I wasn't eating enough (I've been trying to eat healthy/calorie counting) which is why I get sick. Although I'd average out to be eating more than my sparkpeople calories but under my loseit! calories. Some days would be low and others above average.

Is this normal? Should I push through it? Could not taking a multivitamin affect my health when on a lower calorie diet that much? I know no one here is doctors but maybe someone might have these same issues/advice?
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #2  

First... You need to reset. Start over now. Get on the scale, and start from here. It is what it is and nothing you can do but make it better.

You need to make sure you're eating enough calories. I use my fitness pal. I eat my calories plus my exercise calories and I'm starving if I don't.

I know if I don't eat enough I won't lose. My body will hold onto every calorie.

Best of luck!
Neast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #3  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quote:
I'm constantly stressed with two jobs and overtime
In my opinion, I'd bet this is the cause of your health issues. You're just wearing yourself down. Did you doctor have any ideas about why you're getting sick so much?

A few questions..

Are you able to get enough sleep?
How many calories are you eating?
Did by chance the illnesses start the same time as your job at the nursing home?
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I agree with Vex, stress weakens your immune system, big time. Giving into comfort foods doesn't help, either, as your weakened body needs quality fuel, but getting enough sleep is crucial.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #5  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Stress and illness have been the biggest players in my weight issues. I have a lot of chronic health problems, but several months of stress will reliably erode my immune system to nada, and once that happens, it's a series of knockout punches (catching viruses, what have you) and then my body can't get up again.

When I'm in one of those phases, turning to comfort foods (and reducing activity) leads to weight creep, so I start doubling down on healthy eating and weight loss -- thinking I'll feel better with a few lbs less.

For me, this equation has never worked. It only leads to disaster. Operating at a caloric deficit is yet another stress to the body and only compounds my immune issues. Now, ymmv of course - but for me, weight loss and high stress/sickness don't go together. I admit, I haven't cracked the best way to respond to this. But I'd urge you to do everything you can to take care of yourself, support and nourish your body, and forgive yourself if the scale isn't where you want it to be right now. Focus on getting your body stronger first -- once it is not so burdened, the weight loss will be easier and less taxing.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #6  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

I was in this situation a few years ago and it let me to being hospitalized for a severe infection. I guess my question for you is: Do you really NEED to work two jobs? Are there things you can change so that you only need 1? Being stressed and overworked is a bad path. I had to quit one of my jobs after being hospitalized and things calmed down, in return I started ferling better.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Has your doctor taken your blood? I was sick for a week every month the beginning of the year, finally she drew my blood and found out I was massively vitamin D deficient which can affect the immune system. She put me on a prescription strength Vitamin D for 8 weeks, and now I just take a daily.

I'd visit your doctor.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #8  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

You're not going to get anywhere if you don't let your body heal. I have the same problem of not getting back into it after an illness injury. I let myself rest and then I hit it once I am able to comfortably (at least as comfortably as dieting and exercise can be). Don't give up!
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #9  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Quote:
Are you able to get enough sleep?
How many calories are you eating?
Did by chance the illnesses start the same time as your job at the nursing home?
1.When I'm actively trying to eat better, I try harder to sleep more. Even if I sleep a "solid" 8 hours, it's no where near restful since I work nightshift.
2. Looking at sparkpeople, I'd average 1500-2800 throughout the week. The days I don't work, I eat low because I'm not doing anything other than sitting and maybe a few minutes of hooping. My sparkpeople goal is 1800-2300. Although I always went over it at least 200. My goals are higher on Loseit! than spark people probably due to my fitbit being connected to the former. I was losing and well the last time but not excessive.
3. I've had this job for 2 or so years. Been on this unit for a year. It almost reminds me of the time where I kept getting sick at the daycare. After doing blood work, my doctor just told me I had bad luck and kept getting sick again from the new kids every week.

It's essential for me to have these jobs and the overtime is mandatory. Now that they've changed the mandatory overtime, it might be easier for me since my overtime is predetermined. Although now I've quit the other job and I've gained(?) another at a women's gym which is less hours than the other plus activity!

I think I will start trying again this week using multis. If I do get sick, even if it's a silly cold, I'm going to the doctor and ask them to figure this out.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote