Metabolic Research Center - NwcGina- more bodyfat calcs for you

camaswa
06-29-2012, 09:12 PM
I was remembering a while ago when you did some stats for me. I am now 161 and 36.5% bodyfat. 160 was my original weight goal. I'm weight training consistently. How should I proceed to get my bodyfat to 30?

myriadangel
06-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Not to bad.

nwcgina
07-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Sorry I didn't see this earlier...
With those measurements about 103 of the 161 pounds is muscle/bone (lean body mass). The rest would be considered fat mass.

To get to 30% body fat at 160 pounds you would need to gain 9 lbs of muscle which could take 4.5-9 months with heavy strength training. By heavy strength training I would recommend 3 sets of 8-12 reps (when you get to 12 reps, bump up the weight on the next training sessions). You won't start to look like a body builder, but you will love the results. I've tried several kinds of strength training...and many make me strong, but consistently doing 3 sets of 8-12 reps and really challenging my weights has given me the best results.

I will tell you this...looking at your height and weight, I think it (the scale thing) may be measuring your body fat a little high. Generally at that height and weight you would be closer to 30% unless you have no muscle mass.

camaswa
07-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks- and interestingly, others have told me for a while that they suspect the center's scales are measuring me too high. I missed a recent opportunity to do a BodPod measurement but they will be back to my club at the end of the summer, so maybe I will try it then for more accuracy.

I do strength train, once a week with a trainer who pushes me hard, then two-three other more times on my own, alternating an upper and a lower body. I am too pressed for time to do upper amd lower on the same day, so i do about 20 min of walk/jog intervals on a treadmill, then about 35 minutes of strength, plus a little stretching. However I am not very systematic, and this makes me think it would pay off to keep records and really work to challenge the weights. Often I don't really remember what I did last time.

Meanwhile I will stay on MetaBalance another month. It sounds like the combination of diet and strength training will be helpful. Thanks Gina!

nwcgina
07-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Definitely keep a workout log to track your weights. I do so much better that way. In the summer I don't have access to a gym so I do more home workouts. Can't wait to get back to the gym and regain some muscle! Definitely get a BodPod measurement when you get a chance. It is one of the most accurate measurements. And the intervals you are doing are also perfect for building muscle, losing fat. Does your personal trainer have even a guess as to your body fat%...does he/she think the 36% seems high??

camaswa
07-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Yes, she does think I must be lower than 36%. . She used to have calipers but for some reason doesn't any more, and she doesn't believe in the Tanita thing. She is the one who told me about the Pod, I was unfortunately out of town when it was brought in. People signed up for a boot camp with measurements at the beginning and end. That would be fun and motivating, but didn't fit with my schedule.

Anyway, I am on the right track! Oh, and I also have a bowflex at home- I got it for $100 at a yardsale!

nwcgina
07-04-2012, 01:51 PM
That's awesome that you have a bowflex at home. I use my hand weights at home...mainly working out with Jackie Warner DVD's. They are challenging enough for now. Some day when we have a bigger space I want an exercise area with a treadmill or bike.