Exercise! - Taking Zumba and Hot Yoga on the same day?

FreeBird3
06-28-2012, 02:39 AM
Would it be overkill if I took a zumba class and a hot yoga class on the same day? There's a 6pm zumba class, which last 1 hour. Then at 8pm, there is a hot yoga class, which is 90 minutes long.

My thought is I get off from work by 5pm, go to zumba class at 6pm, finish there and get a light meal and then take hot yoga from 8pm to 9:30pm.

What do you think? I need to lose weight per my doctor's request. I want to lose at least 35 pounds by the end of this year....the sooner the better, but at a healty rate (i.e. 1 to 2 pounds per week).

Do you think this fitness schedule is an overkill?

brvsfan99
06-28-2012, 08:06 AM
I don't know if you have ever taken hot yoga before but it is intense (105 degreees, 40% humidity). Last time I did it I burned 903 calories over the hour and a half time period. I would not be able to get through class if I did Zumba or other exercise before hand. However there was a woman in there who did 2 hot yoga classes back to back. It can be done but if you and your body are not ready for it, it may do more harm then good.

FreeBird3
06-28-2012, 08:27 AM
I've taking hot yoga class before (about 1.5 months ago when I received a free 1 month hot yoga certificate). I'm not sure I burn that many calories in hot yoga. I did sleep better and feel better that month that I did hot yoga, but I really don't think I burned 500 to 900 calories per session.

I'll give it a try and see what happens. :)

brvsfan99
06-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Get a heart rate monitor/calorie counter then you will know exactly what you burn. You may be burning more than you think. I have a Polar FT40 and love it!

Ilene
06-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Go for it!! I often exercise twice/day, Group power class which is a very intense weight training class then a run a couple of hours later.... the first couple of times I was really tired that night, slept like a baby :lol:, but after a few times I was fine.... I often reverse it run earlier then do the class, which is much easier... I would think that doing the Yoga class after your Zumba would be very relaxing :yes:

Let us know how it goes...

puneri
06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Any idea how many calories you burn in 1 hour Zumba class?