Exercise! - The Couch to 5K (C25K) Running Plan Thread #2

Pages : [1] 2

midwife
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi all! The last thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/243768-couch-5k-c25k-running-plan-thread.html) is very long, so I need to close it. Feel free to pick up your conversation in this thread.

Ronja
06-29-2012, 04:28 AM
Well, shall I start? :) I just finished W5D1. I had to take a week break from running as I was suffering with a bad cold and fevers. I felt quite apprehensive as for where to start after this break: should I repeat week 4, or move ahead? I then decided to try and move forward and boy am I glad I did!!

W5D1 felt great. I finally got a running app and it motivated me to run faster. In these three times five minutes I run 2k in total and I was SO proud, never thought I would be ever able to run. And what more, it felt quite easy! I feel so encouraged right now, it just really feels great to run like this.

Ronja
06-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Sophie seems our plans are exactly same! I used to run in the evening, but some days it's just too hot and other days I'm way too tired. So I moved my running days to Friday, Sunday and Wednesday when my husband can take care of the girls in the morning. Morning runs rock!

Swanz from what I heard, it is important to keep the days off, because it's when your muscles are actually getting stronger. While running every day would probably not directly slow down your loss, it might make running too strenuous for you. If you really want to accelerate weight loss, I would focus on diet and keep the calories down. Running is great to get you in shape but as a beginner you won't be burning too much calories. I run 2k today and burnt (according to my app) 180 calories. Not that much!

runthecontinent
06-29-2012, 08:11 AM
I have recently finished a Couch to 5k plan and can remember how amazing it felt when I managed to complete the first couple of "longer" runs. In the plan I did, it jumped from 8 minutes of non-stop running, to 20 minutes the next week! Is it like that in the plans you do as well?
Anyway, I was terrified but I turned out I could do the 20 minutes just fine, and building on that up to 30 minutes/5k was a piece of cake.

At this point, my runs average around 40 minutes and slightly over 5k. Jogging for longer seems to come easy to me, but I can't seem to keep up a faster pace. Anything faster than 12 km/h and I get exhausted really quickly. I want to work on that but don't really know where to start! I am now using the "Zombies, run!" app on my smartphone and I do increase my speed during a "zombie chase", but I can't seem to keep it up for very long. Any advice greatly appreciated! :D

Oh, and I've also been running about five times a week (in not-too-busy weeks). Very pleased with myself! Skipping my "day off" would have been hard for me in the beginning, but I'm fine now!

swanz
06-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Today is W5D3 for me.... Seems those longer runs are about to hit me hard. Looking at those numbers, Ronja, I think it would be too much. Thanks!

Lizz
07-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Hello Everyone, :-)

I have just started with the C25K program yesterday after eyeing it for about 2 years now and loosing about 20 kg before my apprehension about any joint troubles from running has decreased enough to seriously give it a go. It also helped to have moved to a place where there is a nice runner's track just within a half hour's walk from my home that allows to run on very soft surface.

I was not really sure what to expect as I used to hate running in PE classes, I was always slow, falling behind, out of breath, the typical symptoms of an overweight teenage girl and thus it has never been an experience that I associated with success.

So I was apprehensive of running, the other runners - the real ones ;) - who might get angry at me for using the track while not really being able to run yet and still concerned about joint issues due to the extra weight.

But I went and I am so glad that I did! :) Because my joints feel fine for now, I was able to do W1D1, there was no negative feedback or angriness directed at me that I would have perceived and a girl running by even gave me a thumbs-up. I thought that was pretty awesome of her. :) When I see people biking, running to that track, especially people who are not in perfect shape yet, I always think good for you, respect. But getting that kind of support from a complete stranger felt, very motivating. :)

So overall, I just wanted to share that starting out slowly and carefully can be a very good experience and far less intimidating than I had imagined and I would like to encourage anyone who might be reading this and pondering whether or not to give it a go.

My lesson's learned were the following:

Good quality sports bras are a very good investment - try different support levels, there is a world of difference there I would have never thought possible in the first place!
Water and some sugar tablets are essentials for me as a carry-on
It pays off to read up on what kind of shoes to get
And having shared about my plans with those close to me really helped to sway me into starting when my courage crumbled a bit
I can actually do this!

My goal is to complete the program by end of September, making it my summer fitness challenge. I wish everyone much enjoyment and fun in working on their own goals and look forward to participating in this thread with you! :hug:

taramade
07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Starting C25K today! Can't wait to start feeling more in shape!

Eliza31
07-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I just finished W5D1 and W5D2 today. I am so surprised that jogging for 8 minutes straight was easier than I thought it would be.

runthecontinent - I looked ahead to see the time for W5D3 and it jumps to jogging 20 minutes straight. I was kind of shocked because I didn't think it would start that soon. I see that the 20 minutes wasn't bad for you so I will be thinking the same. Thanks!

Lizz- I like your tips. I definitely need to get new sports bras.

Good luck to everyone else!

runthecontinent
07-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Lizz - Hear, hear! on the sport bra comment! I only have one (the best support level I could find as I'm pretty big-bosomed), and I cannot believe the difference. Will never run without one again. Also, how exactly do you carry water on your runs? I always a dry mouth when I run but never take water because I wouldn't know how..

Eliza31 - I'm almost sorry I told you about the 20 minute thing, haha. I remember how shocked I was when I heard they wanted to have me run for so long. But really: it should be fine.

I have found I manage much better or worse depending on what and when I've eaten. I try to have at least a decent snack (like a banana) about half an hour before a run and lots of water a like ten minutes before taking off. Afterwards I usually eat something, about 20 minutes after my run. I'm pretty fond of bananas before AND after actually. I eat lots of bananas.. to much probably. What do you eat before and after? I could probably use some suggestions for new workout foods. :D

tinneranne2
07-03-2012, 12:40 AM
I fell off the weightloss wagon for a few months (as has happened repeatedly) but now I'm back! I've known about the C25k program for a while now, but having found the App that tells me exactly what to do...I finally went out and bought some running shoes and socks (I wear skirts/dresses exclusively, so I honestly didn't own any socks). Now all I need is a sports bra and some bottoms. Do they make running skirts? Skorts? Must look into it.

My friend Andy is going to be doing the program with me, but he's in a lot better shape. I think hes just humoring me. He is getting new running shoes by next Monday but I think I should start Week 1 without him and he can jump in on Week 2?

Anyway, I look forward to sweating with you ladies!

Riddy
07-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Hi everyone!

I'd love to jump in here. I did week 2, day 3 yesterday. I have 2 bad knees (ACL repair and chondromalacia), and plantar fasciitis in both feet. I hadn't even considered running til a friend of mine gave me a friendly push. I got fitted for new sneakers, bought an industrial strength sports bra, a couple running skorts, and I'M DOING IT! :D:D:D

I did the week 1 workouts 4 times, and I plan to keep to that pattern. I want to take it slow on purpose, and not piss off my knees or feet. I don't care if it takes 10, 12 or 16 weeks - I'll just be thrilled to complete the program.

Yesterday I was shocked to see that even though I'm purposely not trying to go fast, I went 0.2 miles further than the previous workout. So I am improving! Yay me!!

Tinnerane, I got my skorts off ebay, but they're Land's End and LL Bean brand. I've seen other brands out there, but those 2 have bigger pockets so I can carry my ID and key and lip balm. My phone gets stuffed in my bra, though. ;)
eta - nice shirt! I'm a huge Young Dubliners fan.

Ronja
07-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Lizz that's a great summary of your experiences. I hope you enjoy the program as much as I do!

Tara welcome on the board. You will feel in a better shape in no time!

I remember I was TERRIFIED when I was supposed to run three minutes. And that's just three weeks ago! Today was my W5D3 and I was supposed to run 20 minutes. I however needed 23.5 minutes to complete prescribed 3 km. I am incredibly proud I did it. And it was not really all that difficult! It's just like weight loss: you don't see any difference from one day to another, but if you stick to in, one day you find out you lost lot of weight and you don't even remember how it happened.

starfired
07-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Hey guys.
How do you keep track of how far you have run? Do you use phone apps? I run with my mp3 player because I'm concerned my phone is huge and will fall out of my pocket. Maybe when I reach my next mini-goal I should invest in one of those arm sleeves for your phone... I have done the C25K programme on and off since October time, but don't think I've ever run for 30 minutes solid, managed 25 minutes on Monday, today's challenge is to reach the 30 :)

Ronja
07-04-2012, 08:01 AM
I use a phone app, but I do not have an arm sleeve for my phone so I just hold the phone in my hand and look silly. I should totally get one!

starfired
07-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Boom, 30 minutes run, total route including 10 mins walking came to only 3 miles though, need to work on speed!

Riddy
07-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I repeated week 2, day 3 yesterday, and I was back down to 2.2 miles total. So Sunday's longer distance was a fluke, or maybe I did better because it was cooler out on sunday.

Starfired, I am using 2 phone apps simultaneously - the C25K and Endomondo. Endomondo tracks my time, distance, and speed.

I wear a sports bra and a tank with a built in camisole - I tuck my phone in between the 2. I probably should invest in an armband. :p

On to week 3 tomorrow!

Eliza31
07-04-2012, 01:13 PM
I completed W5D3 today and was able to jog the entire 20 minutes. The gym is closed today so this was a nice workout.

Happy 4th to everyone!! Have a great day!!

Lizz
07-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Hello Everyone, :)

So, I completed the second day of week one. Took some effort in summer heat but I think it was worth it. I will be going shoe shopping for jogging shoes on Friday and look forward to that. Music really helps me zone out and forget about all the fit people running past me while I just walk or jog a little bit though having fit people around is actually great of motivation for me. :)

I was not aware that one should be tracking distance too though. Is there a predefined distance one should complete?

Perhaps this is a silly question that has already been answered countless of times, but is there anything that can help with blisters?

runthecontinent - I just took a small water battle in my hand, kind of a nuisance but worth it in serious heat for me. Plus I am still doing much more walking than jogging here so it is not really in my way. :)

Ronja - thank you for the well wishes, I hope you will be right. :) So far, I am still easing my way into it and try to convince myself that it should not cause joint trouble for me but it is very encouraging to know that you are ahead of me by at least a month and enjoying it!

Eliza31 - I hope you will discover a really good find and fit. It was kind of like a treasure hunt for me but definitely worth the effort. Best of luck to you!

Happy C25K for all! :carrot:

runthecontinent
07-05-2012, 04:36 AM
Lizz - about the blisters: normally, once you get good running shoes (Friday, yay!), you shouldn't get them anymore. Although I have to admit I still have one spot on my foot where I get blisters, strangely.
I tend to get blisters mainly when hiking and for me, those compeed blister patches seem to help IF I manage to apply them so that they stick! Because those things tend to come loose really quickly, especially when they rub against your sock or something (which is what causes the blisters in the first place, so yeah). You have to use them preventively on the spots where you tend to blister. Now apparently there's also something else, a preventive SPRAY against blisters. Might be more comfortable than the patches, if it works at all. Haven't tried it.

MariaMaria
07-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Blisters are more about proper running _socks_ than shoes IME. Treat 'em with a Spenco blister kit, way better than the "blister" bandaids.

Marchmallow
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Jumping into the C25K thread, because I'm loving these runs :D

I completed W3D2 today and I'm loving it more and more. I use Robert Ullrey's podcasts on my trusty Nano, and carry a bottle of water. If I run outside, I find it a bit more challenging. I can breeze through with barely a puff on a treadmill, and I also get somewhere to put my water and a sweat towel. :D

I can't wait to start week 4 and the longer runs - I'm getting a real sense of accomplishment out of it, and luckily have not experienced any blisters, strains or sore muscles. I must be doing something right!

Riddy
07-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Week 3, day 1 done!

I had to pause in the beginning - disappearing sock issue - but I survived the 3 minute runs just fine. Every workout I complete makes me more optimistic about being able to run the 5K eventually! :D

ArmyWife10
07-05-2012, 11:37 PM
I just started my first day today and I was so impressed with how well I did! Every time I have tried to do this on a treadmill I have given up halfway through. This time I made sure noone was by me so I couldn't blame being uncomfortable as a reason to stop! I also played a latin channel that I've never listened to and it really pumped me up. I'm excited to do it again.

So when does the love of running kick in ;)

Lizz
07-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Wow, I just love coming in here and read about all the positive experiences you guys are having. This is such a great motivation, thank you! :)

runthecontinent - thank you for the anti-blister tips. I got a really nice and comfortable pair of running shoes at a competent shop and can't wait to give them a go tomorrow morning. I hope they will also help with the blister problem.

MariaMaria - that is a new point for me, I have not really given socks much consideration. Just used the same ones I use in aerobic and zumba classes. Thank you for pointing that out. :)

So, I have not run since Tuesday. Work, family visiting me and the heat are my best excuses but I will get back on track tomorrow morning, before the heat rises and really look forward to testing the new shoes. :carrot:

Ronja
07-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Lizz I took a week break and then another in the middle of the program and I was able to get back on track without much difficulties. Sometimes life just gets too busy!

I tried W6D1 but I sadly had to give up before I finished. It makes no sense as it was way easier than W5D3, but I felt still tired from the long W5D3 run, and also I started of running too quickly and found myself out of breath before I reached the distance I wanted. I did run what I was supposed to run time wise though. I also feel my hips and knees, so I think I might have overdone it a little. I will take couple of days break, then do W6D1 again.

stronger4me
07-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Happy to be joining this group! I'm starting the Couch to 5K on Monday. Did it years ago but never completed the training. This time I've got people to hold me accountable and already picked a race in September to shoot for. Getting new shoes on Friday. Reading about what you all are doing is very motivating.

Riddy
07-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Week 3, day 2 done!

Re - socks - I just got the most fabulous ones at Target. They're Champion, the most expensive ones (about $10 for 2 pairs), and the left and right socks are different. I wish I kept the package, they're not on the Target or Champion website. They're no show, but with tabs front and back, moisture wicking, and comfortably thin for summer. Love them - must go buy more!

Lizz
07-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Completed my first week today. :) Starting week 2 on Tuesday.

The new shoes are great, it feels completely different and much more comfortable to move in them, even on hard surface. And no new blisters emerged so I am optimistic that they might have done the trick. I have also realised today that taking it slowly helps to avoid the small pains and had in fact a completely pain free workout today. :carrot:

Ronja - You are more than half-way through already, that must be a great feeling! I hope your aches will clear up with the couple days of rest and you can get back on track and tackle week 6 soon!

Happy C25K for all!

Aussieluver
07-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I am so glad to find this thread! I am on IP and just started using the Couch to 5K on my iphone. I mostly walked for now, but I did 1.56 mi in 19 min ... I know it's slow, but it is a start!!! I will be following this thread for extra support :O) It was sooooo humid last night, I couldn't breathe, so I missed my walk (darn asthma!) ... today should be my "off day" but I will be exercising instead.

Good luck to everyone!!

stronger4me
07-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Aussielover, that's great! I came in slower on my start today. Skipped the first week and went straight to the second week and did 1.41 miles at 25 min. I feel good about it though. Though not as fast as I hope, I did run longer than the prescribed 20 min. Going to try and finish this week at 25 min., then move up to 28 minutes next week. I don't like the big jump from 20 min. to 28 min. runs so I'm inching it up. No pain so far.

Good luck to the rest of you ladies!

tinneranne2
07-09-2012, 10:50 PM
OK! I completed the first workout of C25K. I'm really glad my friend is doing it with me, bc I'm the type to slack off and start walking when I get winded (and BOY did I get winded). It was kind of shocking to me, I can't even jog for a minute without puffing like a bellows! Survived though, stretched, and downed 24 ounces of water. :) Thought "Hey, I can totally have some ice cream thats in the freezer!"...bc my brain is made of counterproductive cells, apparently. Then remembered I had GoGurt in there too. Just as frozen, just as good.

Stronger4me Looks like we got started on the same day! Are you planning to use an app (or something) to track speed/distance? I didn't today, but I think I will next time. I'm not fussed about it really, bc I'm just trying to build my endurance...but knowledge is power, right?

stronger4me
07-10-2012, 09:26 AM
tinneranne, I'm starting out at the gym. Then will move to the gym's indoor track before going outdoors. I'm not keeping track of speed because I vary it throughout my run. I'm using 'C25K Free' app on my android phone, which has each day's run/walk built in and tracks each day of the training for me. I need to find an app that tracks distance for me, but haven't done that yet. I don't have an IPhone, that will be a gift to myself once I complete a race in September.

Ronja
07-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Tinnerane are you sure you don't go too fast? When I tried running with a friend, he went faster than me and I subconsciously tried to keep up with him, ending up really out of breathe. When I go on my own, I go slowly, and I complete what I should complete. It sounds as if you maybe should slow down. I read somewhere that answer to a question "How fast should I go when I am a beginner in running?" is "Slow. If you can run any slower, you are not running slow enough". Keeping up with that advice allowed me to get this fast :)

I competed W6D1 today. Was a struggle, but I did what I should do, and I am properly proud :) Already looking forward to a longer run in D3. 2.25 miles! That will be a great accomplishment.

tinneranne2
07-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Ronja I don't know if I'm trying to keep up with him...but I certainly wasn't able to finish the workout today. I did six of the minute running sessions and walked the rest. I feel a bit pathetic, but I'm just going to try W1D2 again on Friday. I've never really worked out or pushed myself before. When it feels uncomfortable...I stop. No more!

Lizz
07-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Hello :)

Tuesday I competed the first day of week 2. And very surprisingly it was not bad. Based on the first week I had some doubts if I could do even the 90 mins without stopping but as it turns out I could. Even if it included some games in my head like: lets see if I can reach that tree over there next to the track before the guy on the podcast tells me to slow down again. :D For the first time I also found myself looking around and not just at the ground in front of me, I think that also helps with giving a bit better posture and that feeling of: Hey, I am actually jogging. That is is pretty awesome! Great feeling!

Happy C25K for all!

Ronja
07-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Liz well done on enjoying your sun! I remember I felt SO WORRIED when I was going to run for 3 minutes straight for the first time. I did not believe I can run that long - now I am running around 25 minutes!

Tinneranne try to take it really slow, and see what happens. Though to be honest with you, if I stopped when it gets uncomfortable, I would never run as long as I do now. Sometimes I start feeling tired, but I push forward and in couple of minutes the feeling passes and I feel just fine again. The worst thing that can happen is being out of breathe, that is very uncomfortable and ruins a run. Going slow helps me with that.

stronger4me
07-12-2012, 10:49 AM
I need to take Ronja's advice as well. I've been pushing myself to go faster and I think I'd do better going a bit slower. Keep going Tinner! We can do this together.

I completed W1D2 yesterday, 1.64mi @ 25 min. This may seem like a silly question, but during this first week how many total minutes should it be? 20 min. or 30 min?

Marchmallow
07-13-2012, 02:25 AM
To everyone on week 1 or 2, I agree with the advice to go slow! It helped me. When I did day 1 of week 1, I was so unfit that I had to pause the podcast and lean against the lamp post to catch my breath and I walked through the last run interval! Now I'm on week 5 and I can run 8 minutes straight. :D

Ronja
07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Rainbow welcome on the board. I love your enthusiasm and honestly, I think the most difficult on all this is to START. I NEVER believed I could be a runner, but people on here inspired me, especially seeing that even an overweight person can start running and love it. So I did and I am so very, very proud. It's pretty much the only sport I have ever taken up and it makes me feel so cool to be a "runner" and buy runner clothes and all that, yes it is superficial but it's me, I love the feeling of being a part of the "fit (or getting fit)" group of people, not the fat one sitting aside thinking she could never do this.

Today I run 2 miles (W6D2) with a break in between them. First mile should have taken me 10 minutes, but it took me 13. Then 3 minutes break, and another mile, this time completed in 12 minutes. Yes, it was SLOW, but I finished the distance and run longer than I was supposed to, which in some way is good too. W6D3 will be 2.25 miles (3,6 km) without any break, and longer runs without breaks from there on. I am excited!

tinneranne2
07-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Take two of W1D2 was a success! I'm thinking it may take me more like 10 weeks to finish this thing...but if I ever run 5k it'll be a miracle. Finishing is the goal, not finishing in 8 weeks.

Despite the concern that running with someone could make me try to keep up...I can say its really helpful to have a running partner. Not only for the practicality (he drives us to the track) but also for the accountability factor. We set a time and hey, I can't just blow it off. Also, even though he's 300lbs, Andy is used to working out. He knows how to push himself and he's a good cheerleader for me. I am decidedly cranky about the whole "sweating and panting" thing.

Question: What other workouts/exercise are you ladies doing while you do the C25K? I'm not currently doing anything, my thinking is I've never really exercised before and I don't want to have any excuse not to do my 3X a week run....I may start doing yoga on my days off though, stretch out those sore muscles!

lizz Congrats on the first day of the second week! I'm apprehensive about the 90 second run too, but you totally nailed it!

Ronja I'm working on pushing through the discomfort. Controlling my breathing so I don't pant awfully seems to help a little. :)

stronger4me we most certainly can do it. more than that, we will do it. The app I'm using ranges from 25 to 40 minutes depending on the day (I confess I peeked at the later weeks).

Riddy
07-15-2012, 01:37 AM
So, I did W3D3 on tuesday and again on thursday (part of my plan to take it slow). Today I did W4D1 - and finished it! The 5 minute segments were a little long - during the last one I heard the voice prompt start and I thought "thank god I'm done running", and she said "1 minute to go". I thought "you teasing B*%^H!!!" :D But I made it through the last minute. I went 2.17 miles in 33 minutes - I walked a little while after the cool down ended.

I'm really pleased with my progress so far. At this point I don't care how slow I am, I just want to run. I want to sign up for a race, but I'm not sure how far out I should schedule it. There's one nearby Labor Day weekend - if I continue to progress on schedule it would be fine, but I'm a little concerned about weeks 5 and 6. I figure there's always the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, but I'd like to run a race before that.

ETA - Tinnerane, I do yoga the other days of the week. I started that at the beginning of the year, and like it a lot. I have the Namaste Yoga DVDs - it was the series on FitTV. Each episode is 22 minutes, and the focus is on linking the poses together with the breath. Got it on Amazon - a little pricey ($50 for 13 episodes), but I like it, so price per use is low. I also have The Biggest Loser yoga DVD - now that s*&t is HARD! I end that one arms trembling and sweaty. The Namaste yoga I can do in my pajamas and go straight to bed - it's very relaxing.

Ronja
07-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Tinneranne don't get me wrong, I think having a running partner is awesome and I sometimes wish I had one! The mutual support and accountability can be awesome. It's just when you mentioned running out of breath, I realized that was my problem when I had a running partner once. It was the only day when I didn't finish the run, so exhausted it left me. But it's just me being silly and always thinking I need to keep up with someone, grrr!

Rainbow what an amazing progress! I'm sorry but I don't really feel in a position to give any advices, but I would say if you're very overweight, or don't feel too fit, just stick with the time the program recommends (e.g. running one minute, walking 1,5 minutes) for now, because you can add the speed (and therefore distance) later. I started off that way, as I had no means to measure my distance. I got an iPhone around week 5, started to measure the distance and I felt fit enough to push harder and achieve the distance as well, not just the time. In fact, my time is still quite longer than recommended, because I run so slow. But I'm happy!

Today I finished week 6. I run 2,25 miles in total, without a break. It took me 25 minutes. I loved it, but longer runs to me impose a danger of getting bored. I think I'm getting an audiobook to listen to next time...or just new and cool music!

Lizz
07-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Hello, :)

I completed week 2 today and am so happy! I am really starting to enjoy the jogging parts and being outside and "one of the joggers" on the track, well at least during those couple minutes that I actually spend jogging. But this is much more fun than I had expected. :) I timed myself for the first time today: completed 5.3 km is 50 minutes so there is probably lots of room left for improvement in the coming weeks but I am starting to believe now that gradual approach is really worth it and does bring results that I can already notice myself in small steps.

rainbowsmiles - very happy that you are along and going about your running program in a gradual way too. I am only a couple days ahead of you and can say that even after a couple occasions there is notable improvement and I am really starting to believe that this gradual approach will bring very good results. The enjoyment factor is one I never really expected but is already starting to captivate me and I wish you the same. :-)

tinneranne2 - I go to a zumba class once a week and enjoy some light boxing-like home workout DVDs on the days off C25K and occasionally play table tennis, actually thinking about it, those offer some nice variety to the jogging. My goals is to exercise on most days of the week, which for now means about 5 days a week and take the other 2 for rest and recovery. That leaves me pretty tired though in the evenings and physical exhaustion is a wonderful sleeping pill but I look very much forward to when my body gets fitter and learns to handle that exercise regime without feeling knocked out as soon as my head hits the pillow. :-)

Ronja - Congratulations on completing your week 6! 25 minutes without stopping sounds amazing and I am very happy that your efforts have made this possible. I listen to audiobooks too sometimes on my way home from the runner's track and mix up the music weekly to help avoid it becoming too predictable. It is also fun to experiment that way with what tracks motivate me most in practice and to pack more and more of those onto my player. I found this list fun to browse too for some new ideas: http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=the_top_100_running_songs_of_all_tim e

Happy C25K to all! :)

tinneranne2
07-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Week 1 is complete! I'm averaging 2.45 miles each time out (including the 10 minute warm up/cool down time) which I feel is pretty decent. Trying not to get intimidated by the longer run times next week offers. Bring it!

A bit disappointed that I don't seem to have lost any weight this week, though I did have a couple days that I was massively beyond my calorie limit. Rest of the week was on plan, so I still should have (mathematically speaking) lost about a pound. oh well. I'll eat cleaner next week.

Hope everyone had an awesome weekend, keep running ladies!

Riddy
07-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Week 4, day 3 DONE! :whoo::whoo::whoo: And it's already 80 degrees out, so I was kinda slow, but I don't care how slow I am. I just want to keep going! My plan is to do this workout 1 more time before moving on to week 5.

Rainbowsmiles, I walked for a couple months before I started the couch to 5K. I wanted to start slow because of my knees and feet, and I also needed new sneakers and a real sports bra. I've read other posts who said it took longer than 8 weeks, so I'm repeating workouts on purpose. I've been repeating the last workout of each week so far. It's taken me 5 1/2 weeks to get to where I am. I really don't care if it takes me 10, 12 or even 16 weeks - I just want to finish the program and run that 5K!

Off to Target today to buy some more of the amazing socks. I'll save the package this time so I remember what they are. :p

Lizz
07-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Week 3 day 1 completed, so I am very happy. Should add though that it was difficult for me to do the 3 minute runs. In the beginning I tried a mantra of "I can do it and it is easy to do." that turned around minute two into an "Is it over yet? Is it over yet? Is it over yet?". :D

5.3 km completed in 48:28 though and I was proud to have improved my time a little bit compared to the last workout so that helps with motivation.

Also purchased a cute grey runner top a little by accident and can't wait to test jog it. :) The funny thing is, it took C25K program for me to allow myself to get and wear sleeveless tops again in public in ... I can't even remember, most likely not in the last 10 years.

Riddy - I really like your idea of repeating the last workout of every week one more time. Thank you for sharing that tip. I think I will wait and see how week 3 goes but think that if the 3 minutes continue to feel so very challenging perhaps I should consider taking it slower also and doing more of the same session, maybe.

Questions I have wondered about while jogging today: have you ever felt a turning point in your C25K progress, when the runner in you really kicked in or have your experiences been mostly of continuous and gradual improvement?

If you were to start the program again, is there anything that you would do differently? Do you have any special lessons learned?

Happy C25K for all! :carrot:

Ronja
07-18-2012, 04:08 PM
W7D1. 4k = 2.5 miles. It took me 29.5 minutes so I almost graduated from the program :))) I run on a new trail and there were some hills, so I had to stop and breathe twice. It made me feel like a failure, but I had to remind myself I do this to be happy, not dead exhausted and hating every minute. After breathing for about a minute I was able to continue jogging uphill. I will see in next two sessions if I can do it without a break, at any rate I won't be moving to week 8 until I can run 4 km non stop.

Riddy
07-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Questions I have wondered about while jogging today: have you ever felt a turning point in your C25K progress, when the runner in you really kicked in or have your experiences been mostly of continuous and gradual improvement?

For me, it's all been gradual. I watch my mileage with Endomondo, and I'm pretty consistently around 2.1-2.3 miles for the workout. I sometimes walk and extra minute or 2 at the end if I've misjudged my speed/distance and I'm not home yet. :p I haven't had any big "aha! I'm a runner!" moment yet. I just get to the point at the end of the week that the workout is less hard than it was at the beginning of the week.

And I bought more of the amazing socks yesterday - they are Champion C9 Premium Maximum Performance - low cut with heel shield. They come in packs of 2 pairs, white with magenta and dark grey trim on 1 pair, neon yellow and grey on the other. I am seriously in love with these socks - I hate hot feet, sinking socks, and toe seams. These have NONE of those issues.

I won't have a chance to run again til the weekend, so it's yoga the rest of the week for me. :yoga:

Happy learning to run, everyone!

Marchmallow
07-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Hello! I just finished week 5 today, and for those of you that are on week 6 or later that means a jump from an 8 minute run to a 20 minute run! It wasn't too bad! Looking forward to finally hitting the 5K!

Riddy
07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Repeated W4, D3 yesterday, and increased my distance to 2.22 miles. I'll take that as my sign that I'm ready to start week 5 - probably tomorrow. Since each day is increasing this week, I have to decide which day to repeat. I'm leaning towards repeating day 2 before moving on to the 20 minute run.

tinneranne2
07-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Week 2 is my B%^#+!!! I feel sorta lame that 6 1.5 minute runs totally had me winded. I like the "5K runner" app though.

Week 3 starts at 6am tomorrow. Bring it!

Riddy
07-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Week 5 Day 1 done! :yay:

My distance was back down a little, but oh well. I made it through all the running segments, and felt all right.

envelope
07-23-2012, 07:19 PM
This is my 3rd time doing C25K. I have enjoyed the challenge of it every time.

Summer 2010 - I had NEVER jogged further than a mile and could not understand why anyone actually enjoyed running...but my then 10 yo wanted to run a 5k, and I he was to young to go on his own. (Little did I know that he would finish in almost half the time I did, luckily we had neighbors and friends their that kept him company while waiting for me!)

Summer 2011 - I did not jog over the winter and needed to restart. Went on to jog a 1/2 marathon in Sept 2011.

Summer 2012 - I am going to do a double C25K :dizzy:
My 7 yo girls want to run in a 5k so I am starting C25K with them.
I want to increase my speed, so I am going to jog on the walk and actually run on the run. ;)

Lizz - There is nothing I would change any of the times I have done C25K. EXCEPT, if my first race were hilly (they all are around here) I would make sure I did some running on hills...I kept it flat and was shocked on my first hill! They are doable, but it is better to train for them. :cool:

Riddy - there are usually fun 5Ks around Halloween, I bet you could find one near you.

Rainbowsmiles - look at you increasing your speed!!!

AMS65
07-23-2012, 07:58 PM
So super happy to find this thread! I have been day dreaming of being a runner - again. Back in the day I ran daily and LOVED IT!! I will be starting the C25K this weekend. I need some good gear 1st.
Rainbowsmiles...I see you on the IP boards too....quick question - my coach told me I shouldn't increase my heart rate too much or I will be out of ketosis? sound right? either way, i'm gonna run!! can't wait to start and post my expereinces!!!!:carrot:

Riddy
07-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Rainbow and AMS,

I'm doing all this on Medifast, which I know isn't the same as IP, but closer than most other plans. From what I've seen on the MF board, they suggest adding 2-3 ounces of lean protein before running, if people notice their weight loss stop or reverse. I was having peanut butter in the evening on my C25K days, but then I gained 1.5 pounds, so now I'm adding a cheese stick before. Do you have an IP nutrition support or exercise support you can contact?

AMS65
07-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Rainbow and AMS,

I'm doing all this on Medifast, which I know isn't the same as IP, but closer than most other plans. From what I've seen on the MF board, they suggest adding 2-3 ounces of lean protein before running, if people notice their weight loss stop or reverse. I was having peanut butter in the evening on my C25K days, but then I gained 1.5 pounds, so now I'm adding a cheese stick before. Do you have an IP nutrition support or exercise support you can contact?

Riddy I do have a coach but she tells me if i increase my heart rate I may get out of ketosis. Sounds so strange to me though. How can exercise make you gain weight? Wouldn't it just be muscle anyway?? I may need to add another protein packet. I just feel they don't want me to work out at all!

gatorgirl6
07-24-2012, 11:50 PM
I just got back on the wagon - for both exercising and eating well consistently. I started the C25K program again, but on W3D3. I did that yesterday and didn't have much problem completing it. Today I did W4D1 and it was much harder (but I think I let my brain tell me I was more tired that I was). I figure since I am not starting at the beginning, I may take some more time on some weeks to build up, but I am going to give it a go. I have always had 'run the princess 1/2 marathon' on my bucket list (its a run through Disney's Magic Kingdom) so I guess I need to start running if I ever want to consider that. I'm glad I can come here for support and accountability to stay on the plan.

Good luck guys. Great job so far!

Riddy
07-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Riddy I do have a coach but she tells me if i increase my heart rate I may get out of ketosis. Sounds so strange to me though. How can exercise make you gain weight? Wouldn't it just be muscle anyway?? I may need to add another protein packet. I just feel they don't want me to work out at all!

I don't get it about the heart rate and ketosis. :?: Medifast just says to limit exercise to 45 minutes/day, and only after being on the program for at least a few weeks. But they DO want us exercising.

Sounds odd to me. I'm sure your coach believes it is correct, but is there an 800 number or someone official at IP you can email for a second opinion?

tinneranne2
07-25-2012, 01:01 PM
gatorgirl6 welcome back to the wagon! You dived right in to the end of the week I'm working on. The princess 1/2 marathon sounds like a great goal to work towards. :)

the 5K runner app has W3D1 as:

5 minute warm up walk
Run 1.5, walk 1.5
Run 2.5, walk 2.5
Run 2.5, walk 2.5
Run 1.5, walk 1.5
5 minute cool down walk

I wussed out on the last 15 seconds of the last run. Legitimately, I could have carried on. I should have sucked it up. I need to toughen up mentally. So, I'm doing W3D1 again tomorrow. Fairly certain W3D2 is the same as day 1 anyway, but thats not the point. If I don't complete, I repeat.

Part of me is disappointed bc I'm such a wuss, part of me is impressed every time I get up at 6am and dig out my sports bra.

gatorgirl6
07-25-2012, 02:20 PM
tinneranne2, Thanks for the welcome. It looks like the C25K is slightly different from your 5K runner app, but not significantly.

I tried to do W4D2 today, but my back was sore this morning and once I started the running portion I could tell that it was hurting my back and if I continued I would be lucky to get out of bed tomorrow morning. Instead I walked a brisk 1.5 mi. I probably wont be able to run tomorrow either, but I will get back in as soon as possible. I also did 5.5 mi on the bike. I normally do around 4 mi on the bike after my run cause it helps keep me from getting sore. My back hurts worse now than before my workout, so it still may not have been a good idea - but I will nurse it for the rest of the day and hopefully recover.

Riddy
07-25-2012, 10:20 PM
I did W4D2 today. I am so proud of myself - not just for running 8 minutes at a stretch, but for doing it AFTER work and BEFORE dinner. That is SO not like me!

Look at me, I'm running!!! :D:D:D:running::running::running::D:D:D

Riddy
07-26-2012, 09:01 PM
W2D2 23.04 mins
95 degrees outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i missed my target of getting under 20 mins...
however...i barely made it back home....its too H.O.T.T. :flame:
at least i made it home!! whew!!:cool:

lessons learned:

1. don't run in 95 degree weather!!
2. PB4UG
3. if it HURTS .... STOP!!!!!!!!!
4. there is always next time!!!:D

So you burned calories AND learned something - bonus! Yay you for keeping it going in that heat!

tinneranne2
07-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Riddy - working out after working all day? you deserve a medal dear! If I don't do it early in the AM, I don't do it at all.

Ok, due to weather issues/sickness I just redid W3D1 today. First time listening to an audiobook rather than running in silence. It was a lot easier today. Possibly because I'd done (most of) the run before, possibly because of the distraction of the audio book, possibly because I'm just that awesome. lol

Riddy
08-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Tinnerane, you most certainly are that awesome! :D

So I just got home from a mini vaca (since Saturday). I ran Saturday morning before I left, again on Monday morning, and today! Today I tried something different - at my friend's suggestion - I did my week 6 day 1 BAREFOOT, on the beach. MUCH harder! I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow, but it was a nice change.

I'm very happy I survived the 20 minute run Monday. I'm glad this week is back to the shorter intervals til day 3.

Keep running, girls!

tinneranne2
08-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I did W3D1 twice, W3D2 took three times to get it right. Having issues here, especially concerning mental toughness. I cannot imagine running 8 minutes, much less 20...30?! I'm struggling with 2.5 minutes at a time over here.

Riddy
08-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Tinnerane, have you tried listening to music instead? I find listening to songs I like, with a fast enough tempo, keep me going.

Here's a few on my "skinny B***H" playlist -
Adele - Rumour has it, Rolling in the deep
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen
The Elders - Raging Sea, Moore Street Girls, Ten pound Earhole, Story of a Fish
Enter the Haggis - Gasoline, One last Drink
Clapton - After Midnight
Flatfoot 56 - Black Thorn, Born for this, Smoke Blower, Stampede
Hair of the Dog - Paddy Murphy's Wake, Dooley, Papa John's Tree, MTA, Drunken Sailor
Johnny Cash - Cocaine Blues (Live @Folsom Prison version), Wreck of the Old 97 (live @San Quentin version)
Metallica - Fuel
the Tossers - Siobhan, Whiskey Drives me Crazy
Young Dubliners - Come on, Knickers, Brown Dog, Wash my Hands, Shame, Waxies Dargle, Father's Son, Howaya Girls, Rosie, If I Should Fall from Grace with God, Leaving of Liverpool, Backseatdriver
Dropkick Murphys - Never Forget

Hope this helps!

Off to do week 6, day 2 again tomorrow!

tinneranne2
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks Riddy! I'll give music a shot tomorrow!

I got up and walked four miles this morning on my off day because I felt like it. :) W4D1 is tomorrow (3 - 4 - 4- 3). Its crazy that after this week I'll be half way done!!!

Riddy
08-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Week 6, day 3 DONE! 22 minutes of straight running (well, slow jogging). :D

It was not easy - my legs were tired going uphill, and most of the last half, but I just kept running along to the music. I'm glad I have the app to keep me honest - left to my own, I'd probably quit too soon.

CelticHarpie
08-08-2012, 06:21 PM
You are all inspiring.

I just started C25K this week. I am running on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday mornings, so tomorrow is W1D3. I'm currently using the free podcast.

So far it's been really easy. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to do it. I know it will get harder, but I'm just glad I haven't been struggling immediately. I hate exercise and hate mornings, so the fact that I'm getting up at 6am to do this is really crazy.

I am really glad that I went and got properly fitted for running shoes. It helps quite a bit.

This is my 3rd time trying a new program. I'm currently just doing a higher protein, lower fat diet and seeing if I can stick with the exercise. They say the third time is the charm.... right?

EveLHaelf
08-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi, everyone!

The last time I completed c25k was over two years ago, and i used it to start training for my half marathon I ran. :D

Fast forward to now, I kinda let myself go for a while and gained about 60 pounds back from the 100lbs I had lost. I started c25k again and am on week 3. :carrot: I've been running with my dog, since we both could use some exercise, lol. I signed up for a 5k fun run scheduled for August 23rd and I am excited to get back into running. I had a blast doing 5k's and training for a half marathon. It feels good to be back!

Keep running! :)

Riddy
08-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Week 7, day 1 done!

I'm still quite slow - only going 2.4 miles including warmup and cooldown, but I kept going for the whole 25 minutes!

I think I'm close enough to sign up for a real race. I'm thinking late September, to give me time to get my distance up.

EveLHaelf
08-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Week 4 day ONE today! Wish me luck. :D

Riddy
08-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Week 4 day ONE today! Wish me luck. :D

Good luck! :goodvibes:

I'm tackling week 7, day 2 tomorrow morning. :running::running::running:

EveLHaelf
08-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Week 7! WOW That's awesome. :sunny::sunny:

The 5 minute runs kicked my butt tonight! OMG But I'm feeling good now that it's done. :D

CelticHarpie
08-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Well it had all been easy until today, and I'm only on W2 D2. It was overcast and dark out and my feet just felt so heavy. But I got through it. I'm not sure I'll be ready for Week 3!

Keep going...

Riddy
08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Week 7, day 2 DONE! I've now done 25 minutes of running (well, slow jogging) for the second time!

I'm really grateful for the app - I'm not sure I would have kept up with this without it telling me when to run and walk.

And I'm still planning on repeating a day of this week's workouts before moving on to week 8. I don't think I'll be running the 5K in 30 minutes by the end of week 8 like the app promises, so then I'll have to increase my time til I'm running the full 5K.

CelticHarpie
08-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Week 2 is done!

Not sure how I'm going to do next week. I've been feeling it more each day... But the good news is that I've lost 5 lbs in the last two weeks.

Hurrah!

Riddy
08-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Nice job, Harpie - keep it up! :yay::yay::yay:

EveLHaelf
08-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Last day of week four tonight! :carrot:

Riddy
08-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Week 7, day 3 done!

I'm still slow, but who cares - I'm running for 25 minutes! :D

CelticHarpie
08-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Question for the more experienced C25K'ers:

I am currently running a Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday schedule, however, with my grad school classes being on Tuesday/Thursdays (and I also work full time), I'm thinking of switching to Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. Since I already ran my first day of W3 today, should I run on Tuesday AND Wednesday, or just wait until Wednesday?

Riddy
08-19-2012, 01:24 PM
I *think* (and if someone else knows better, feel free to correct me) it's better to not run 2 days in a row when you're starting out; you want to give your muscles time to recover from this new activity. So I would wait til Wednesday.

I'm at the mercy of my rotating schedule of 4 - 10-hour days. So this past week, I only ran on tuesday and saturday. The week before it was sunday, tuesday, thursday. This coming week, wednesday and a weekend day for sure, but not sure when I can fit another one in. I'll figure it out.

Tonyia
08-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Just started this. I am on W1 Day3..about to do my day 3 in about an hour...I am glad I started this, I have been putting it off forever.

Now if I could just get myself on to a better eating pattern I'd be great!

CelticHarpie
08-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, Riddy!

Truth be told, my legs are already feeling a bit sore from this morning, so 2 days off might be ok. :)

lilmisschattabox
08-20-2012, 06:23 AM
I just started today :) I think I'm going to go check out some new running shoes tomorrow. I've had problems with my feet/shin splits in the past so I want to make sure I start slow and protect myself as much as poss. I'm excited to start though!!

Tonyia
08-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Finished week 1 last night. Starting week 2 tomorrow.

sept2012
08-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Do they make running skirts? Skorts? Must look into it.

I see women all of the time wearing tennis shirts to work out in. Hahaha you can get those and be in your comfort zone!

hahnj
08-20-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm starting week 1 day 1today! Woohoo! Excited!

Goddess Jessica
08-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Finished Week 2 Day 1 today. I've been doing this on a treadmill and doing the app and then once the app is over, doing a walk/run pace until I see 3.2 miles on the screen. This is usually a mile more than the program (at my current pace) so that my 3.2K is around 40 minutes (and I am DYING after that).

I've been doing this at lunch at work on MWF. Let me tell you, I am NOT a pretty sight afterwards.

I was thinking of signing up for a half marathon in January but that's more than 3Xs a 5K! I don't know if I could ever run that far. Walk, sure. But run?

Riddy
08-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Repeated week 7, day 3 today. :running::running::running:

I was originally going to run on Monday after work, but I almost passed out in the shower Monday morning (possibly related to Sunday's hot yoga class?) so I decided to pass on serious exercise and sweating. I did plain yoga instead.

Probably won't get another run in until the weekend. Oh well.

lilmisschattabox
08-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Week 1 finished today. Little nervous about upping it in week 2, but I think I can do it!!! Haven't even got to the hard weeks yet lol!!

Riddy
08-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Week 8, day 1 done!

I had been tracking my whole workout on Endomondo and was hovering around 2.5 miles, I didn't really know how much of it was actual running, so today I stopped and restarted it to get an idea of how far off I am from the 5K. My actual run was only 2 miles in 28 minutes, so I still have some work to do once I complete the program.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

colebear
08-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi, all! I just wanted to cheer you on and share a little of my story. I did C25k the summer of 2010 (I was getting healthy for my wedding) and ran my first 5k 9/11/10, then stopped all fitness later that week because my fiance was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

I repeated C25k the summer of 2011 as a remedy for depression (I started one week after my husband died) and ran a 5k 9/26/11 on what turned out to be a torn meniscus.

I had surgery for my knee in February of this year, did PT and spinning for a while before restarting C25K. I've finished the program and I ran a 5k last month and another one this morning. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I've finished a race! I'm still super slow. I jogged the whole run today and finished in 46 minutes exactly, which was 2.5 minutes faster than my race last month.

My point is, it doesn't matter how slow you run, you'll get better with time. I haven't finished a race in last place yet and everyone cheers you on no matter how slow you are. Runners are wonderful people.

I think it's awesome you are all doing this and I can't encourage you enough to pick a race, sign up for it and do it! My goal is to participate in an organized run every month for a year. I'm already signed up for 5ks for September, October and December and I'm eying a 10k in November and a 15k for March. You can find a list of races in your area at active.com or your local runner's shop website.

Best of luck all! I'm cheering you on =)

gatorgirl6
08-27-2012, 05:59 PM
I have been doing the c25k on an on/off basis for a while. My off times tend to be longer than my on ones. I was doing really well at it and then I got a back spasm that kept me from running (doctors orders) for about 2.5 weeks. I then did some running on my own without the program for a couple days. I have never gotten to a longer than 5 min run segment on the program. Last Wednesday, I decided to run again and I planned to run 1 lap and then walk some and repeat. After I finished the lap I thought I might be able to do a second without stopping. I ended up doing 3. I went past the end of the third lap and completed the straight portion of the 4th lap when my brain told me I was too tired. I am mad now, because I realized after stopping that I should have kept running - my legs and lungs were fine to finish out the mile. That is the furthest I have run in a long time and I didn't even realize I could do it. I went on vacation right after that and just got back. I am going to try again and see if I can do a mile. After that I am going to pick back up with the program and see how far I can take this. Yay for all the small victories that keep pushing us onward towards our goals. :)

Thedollylala
08-29-2012, 09:50 PM
I started today! It was exhausting and it was all a slow jog when I ran, and I was breathing heavy and crazy and I'm pretty sure I need a new sports bra but I still finished and did 2 miles in 30 minutes so that was fun then I did another 2 miles just walking briskly, can't wait to see where this 9 weeks gets me

CelticHarpie
08-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Did Week 4, day 2 today. I am finally getting into that headspace where I'm zoning out and thinking of other things while running. I used to think, "How many more minutes until I'm finished?" Now I'm thinking about what I need to get done at work, or what I'm going to do this weekend.

Thedollylala: Congrats! A good quality sports bra will make a world of difference. I got one of the Panache ones and they are fantastic.

colebear: I hope to run my first 5K in October-- it's a color run, so it should be fun and no stress :)

Thedollylala
09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
@celticharpie Ill look into that brand some!!

Today starts week two, excited about this! I'll also be incorporating 30 day shred I decided to not go to the gym this month and switch it up with that,

TheLauren
09-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I used to be able to jog 8 miles. This was 5 years ago, though!

Today I went to the track and walked a brisk mile. I downloaded the C25K app and next time I go to the track I'm starting the program. I'm excited to get my stamina back up. It's been daunting.

HealthyMeWannabe
09-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi folks! Last month I gave myself a fitness challenge to be able to run a mile and I completed that on Saturday 9/1/2012! :cheer: So now I am on to my next fitness goal, which is being able to run a 5K. I downloaded the c25k app to my phone today and hit the road. I really need to pick up my speed though! I read on the reviews of the app that the distance they calculate isn't necessarily accurate so I ran Endomondo (which I find to be very accurate) along with the c25k app. Endomondo told me that I ran/walked 1.58 miles in the 30 minutes while the c25k app put me at 1.99 miles. I'm going with Endomondo's number though. So I have to pick up speed to run a 5K in 30 minutes for sure!

All in all, I completed Week 1 Day 1 and feel good about it! After I finished that I went back home, leashed the dog, and took him for a 1.31 mile walk (tracked on Endomondo). So I've definitely gotten in my workout today! :running: I feel great! I'm really excited about seeing my progress over the next 9 weeks!

Thedollylala
09-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Congrats on starting healthymewannabe I noticed the same thing cause I run nike+ at the same time to track my calories and c25k showed more miles ran...

Did day week 2 day 1 today omg so exhausted I'm gonna sleep well tonight

HealthyMeWannabe
09-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks! :) I'm definitely sticking to Endomondo for mile accuracy, but I love the c25k app telling me when to walk and when to jog. That's very helpful! When I tried this program in the past (2006-ish) I didn't have apps so I kept having to look at my watch. It was more trouble than it was worth so I quit after week 2. But with the app I have someone else telling me when to walk and when to run! I know I can do it this time! :cheer:

Riddy
09-03-2012, 08:26 PM
I did week 8, day 3 on Saturday. I was away for the weekend, and woke up early, so decided to go for it. Did NOT realize how hilly the road was that I was on - my actual run was 2 miles, but my Fitbit said I climbed the equivalent of 38 flights of stairs! :eek:

Tried to run tonight after I got home. The warmup walk was fine, but when I started running, I just didn't have the energy. A few minutes later when I had to go up a small hill, I had some trouble breathing, and even started to sound wheezy. So I dropped back to a walk and walked right back home. Only got in 15 minutes, but oh well. Better luck next time.

CelticHarpie
09-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Just did W5D1. I am scared about D3 this week (20 minutes straight), but thought today was easier than last week. Today was the walk 5, run 5, walk 3, run 5, walk 3, run 5, walk 5 day. It seemed easier than alternating runs of 3 and 5 minutes.

When I get to D3, I will be away in Chicago. It will be interesting to run in a new neighborhood!

Riddy
09-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Repeated week 8, day 3 today. Logged just over 2 miles on the running portion. Next time I'll start increasing my running time to bring my distance up.

Oh yeah, I have the Panache sports bra too. Worth every penny for my DDD/E's. I love it so much, I bought 2 more. :D

mrsziggy04
09-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi all! I'm newish here...

I have been following weight watchers since March and have lost 31 pounds and have been doing ellitptical workouts 2-3 times a week for a few weeks. My ww buddy and BFF has been walking LOTS and started joggin so I thought, why can't I? So I did! I actually found a fun 5k to make a goal - but it's not till next June-it's a foam/mud run...LOL! Anyway, I started C25k on Monday. I actually did W1D1 twice because I switched to a different app after the first day. Today I completed W1D2 and I'm slow, but will get there...For now I am using the treadmill, once I can manage that, I will work on getting outside!

Hubby is my biggest cheerleader! He is planning to do the race with me in June, but I'm thinking maybe we should get another race in before the fun one...not sure...

IsabellaOlivia
09-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I completed c25k W5D3 today. I did it. I ran for 20 minutes continuously:D

CelticHarpie
09-07-2012, 03:33 PM
IsabellaOlivia - way to go! I tackle that run on Sunday. I just did W5D2 today.

I had the horrible problem this morning of forgetting to charge up my trusty iPod. Ended up having to time the run and go sans music.

I almost felt naked! It was strange to go running with no music.

IsabellaOlivia
09-08-2012, 11:41 AM
IsabellaOlivia - way to go! I tackle that run on Sunday. I just did W5D2 today.

I had the horrible problem this morning of forgetting to charge up my trusty iPod. Ended up having to time the run and go sans music.

I almost felt naked! It was strange to go running with no music.
It's really helpful to have someone instructing you on when to run and when to walk. I think I would have struggled if I were to do C25K without the podcasts.

IsabellaOlivia
09-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Completed C25k W6D1. I actually foud today harder than my previous run, which was the big 20 minutes straight.

Thedollylala
09-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm starting week 3 today I've gotta admit I'm nervous about running for 3 minutes, and excited as well, my knee was giving me issues but I've been wearing a brace and it's ok, I'm gonna look for some kt tape today and see how that goes, but it's mainly uncomfortable but I'm working on my form each time.

Thedollylala
09-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Oh yeah I got myself a panache sports bra well ordered one of amazon so excited to get it in the mail

HealthyMeWannabe
09-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Last week I only did C25K one day so I restarted tonight. Week 1 Day 1 under my belt, plus I did some additional walking afterward. I'll do this again on Thursday night and again sometime on Saturday. I think I'll make those my C25K days. :running:

Thedollylala
09-11-2012, 08:07 AM
So apparently you can't do c25k at the gym I tried and it just had me in one spot so I have to re do it so I have accurate readings on my app cause I'm a stickler for those things

CelticHarpie
09-12-2012, 01:57 PM
IsabellaOlivia: we're on the same schedule.

I just did W6D1 and I agree with you. It seemed harder to run the intervals instead of 20 minutes straight.

Had my weigh in this morning and I'm down another 1.4 lbs. I had a bad cheat weekend (tailgating: brats, guacamole, beer, yikes!), but redeemed myself. Also fit in an 45 minute power walk with a work friend on my non-running day.

It's weird. Even though I'm not breaking any speed records, I really am beginning to feel like a runner.

Oh and add me to the Panache Love Fest. I have been toying with the idea of ordering a few more bras from them, but want to wait as I'm starting to feel my current one is too big.

Riddy
09-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Decided to try and run for 35-40 minutes tonight to see how far I would go. I made it 40 minutes, and went 2.81 miles. I'm getting there! :D

IsabellaOlivia
09-14-2012, 04:19 PM
CelticHarpie:

I did w6D2 today. And again I experienced today's run was more challenging that the 20 minutes straight. I guess it's a mental thing.

Riddy
09-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I did it! Ran just over 40 minutes today, and when I went to turn off Endomondo, it chirped "3 miles", so I HAD to keep going. :D It took me 44 minutes, but I ran the 3.1 miles today!!! YAHOO!!!!!

:running::running::running::running::running:

CelticHarpie
09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Way to go, Riddy!

I finished Week 6 on Monday, but ran day 3 again yesterday. Today was W7D1 and I added about 5 minutes to the run (because I wasn't back to the location I usually time my run to stop).

All in all, it was really good. That extra 5 minutes felt great. I even sprinted a bit.

Mostly, I was running a bunch extra because I had to attend a family funeral over the weekend and traveled. Funerals = lots of family functions and lots of food. I tried to be good, but it was challenging. When I got home on Sunday night, I was up 4.5 lbs from my weigh in the previous Wednesday. By this morning, I had lost all that, plus another .8. I don't think I've ever been so happy to lose less than a pound in one week. LOL.

IsabellaOlivia
09-19-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm really nervous about w6d3. It's strange because I wasn't nervous about w5d3, but the 25 minutes is making me anxious.

Thedollylala
09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
I just finished week 4 day 2 ah I'm nervous about next week well I'm nervous about every week before it starts sadly the 2nd 5 minutes of week 4 is uphill where I run, it kicks my arse

Riddy
09-20-2012, 11:20 AM
If you're really nervous about a workout, repeat the previous workout to get your confidence up. I repeated at least 1 workout a week because I was concerned about my knees and feet. So it took me 3 months to complete the 8 week program, but I didn't care.

I ran the full 5k again today - yahoo! I even did it a little faster than Saturday - just under 44 minutes! :yay::yay::yay:

CelticHarpie
09-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Did W7D2 today, and it was HARD. I had worked 15 hours yesterday (didn't get home from work until 11pm) and it was really challenging just to get out of bed. Usually a little ways into the run I start feeling lighter and less heavy-footed. Not today. Today I felt like there were 15 lb dumbbells on my shoes. Yikes.

I'm in the last week of an eight week weight loss competition. I have been the leader every week save one. I'm determined to win the competition and the $180 that goes with it, so I'll be running every day until next Thursday. Wish me luck!

Riddy
09-21-2012, 08:06 PM
GOOD LUCK HARPIE!!!!!!

:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Thedollylala
09-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Finished week 4 day 3 much better than day one ah I get so nervous before every new week, but my knees feel like they are getting stronger and the pain I was experiencing before is barely there now after my run

IsabellaOlivia
09-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Completed W6D3 today. It was easier than D1 and D2 of this week.
I'm very happy I managed to run for 25 minutes straight.

MelodyLeigh
09-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Well, today I finally did it. I've put it off long enough. I splurged on some amazing Brooks for my poor plantar fasciitis prone feet. ;)

I began (I should say attempted) the first day of C25K today. For the first time, I experienced absolutely 0 pain in my right foot, ankle, and calf!

The bad news? I have not exercised regularly for, let me think... 12 years? And I'm 22. :dizzy: Needless to say, I was winded within the first 2 minutes on my treadmill. I was able to get to the 15 minute mark, but I was feeling light-headed, so I called it good for the night. I will continue to give it my all until I can complete day 1 of the C25K. I am not discouraged in the least. I knew going from zero activity to running would not be easy. Even if I have to repeat weeks on the C25K, I WILL get through it. I have always dreamed of becoming a runner. I have the right shoes, a great program, and copious amounts of determination.

My three C25K days will be Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I will keep everyone updated on how I do each of those days. I hope everyone is doing well with their running! :D

CelticHarpie
09-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks, Riddy! So far so good. I've run the past 3 days in a row.

Thedollylala, I experienced the same thing around week 3 or 4. Eventually it did go away for me as well. I think you're right: we're gaining strength.

IsabellaOlivia, week 7 is all 25 minute runs. I agree, it's so much easier.

MelodyLeigh, keep going! It really does get easier. When I started, I hadn't really exercised since I was 22... it had been 17 years! You can do it!

MelodyLeigh
09-24-2012, 12:41 AM
CelticHarpie: Awesome job with the past 3 days! Keep it up, you're an inspiration!

I went back on the treadmill tonight, and to my surprise (despite my legs especially feeling the burn this go-around!) I was able to add another jogging session to my time, making my time 17:30 now. An additional 2 and a half minutes? I'll take it! I will take a break tomorrow and then I'll be right back in it for Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I hope to be able to completely get through the first C25K workout by the end of this week.

The week after that, I will officially begin the C25K program!

I'm already itching for those 25 minute and 30 minute runs, but I will be patient... :D

IsabellaOlivia
09-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Completed W7D1. I couldn't run the entire 25 minutes because I hadn't eaten or had anything to drink. My stomach was growling during the run. I walked for five minutes of the run right after the 12.5 minute mark.

CelticHarpie
09-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Well, I almost made it running every day since last week. On Monday I woke up late and had to get my car to the shop. Didn't get an extra run in, but walked for about 15 minutes.

Ran an extra day on Tuesday.

Today was W8D1. 28 minutes of running. Not really that much of a jump from week 7, but that's probably due to the fact I added 3 extra days of running last week! I was really glad to move on to a new podcast with new music.

Had my final weigh in for the weight loss challenge I was doing the past two months. Was down 3 lbs for the week, and 15.8 total for 8 weeks. I was hoping for another .2 to make it an even 16 lbs loss. I'll know later today if I won the money. Regardless, I'm down nearly 16 lbs since I started this recent journey, and that's not too shabby.

None
09-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi Everyone.

I finished a coach to 5k plan a few weeks back and started a 10k plan, my question it feels like it is becoming harder to jog the same time as before? Like I'm getting unfitter. I know that's not true however does any one have some thoughts on this?

Thanks

IsabellaOlivia
09-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Celticharpie: I'm really happy for you and that all the hard work you've done have paid off.

I did W7D2 today and it was challenging, but doable.

Thedollylala
09-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Time for week 5 day 3 Saturday omg I'm nervous!! 20 minutes straight I couldn't run the 2nd 8 minutes straight today I did the first 8 ok around 6 minutes in I peeked at how much time I had left

MelodyLeigh
09-27-2012, 11:31 PM
I FINALLY GOT THROUGH THE DAY 1 WORKOUT! :carrot:

Every other day for the past week I've been trying to get through all 25 minutes, but I kept getting way too exhausted to complete it. Tonight, it just hit me. I CAN do this. I bought a C25K app and used it while Pandora played music. I covered the treadmill clock with a towel and I never turned the phone screen on to see the time. All I did was stare straight ahead, listen to the music, and follow the woman's instructions on the app.

I am SO happy that I completed it. I can't wait to keep gaining endurance with each workout!

Riddy
09-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Yahoo, MelodyLeigh!!!! :yay::yay::yay:

That's what I do, too - start the music, start the app, and just GO.

Keep it up - you can do it!

And don't forget - you don't have to run fast (in fact, try to run slow), just RUN.

Kitcherella
09-28-2012, 04:27 AM
Greetings to all. I am so excited, I have just finished W6R3. :woohoo:

I follow the NHS programme and as the speaker Laura says I may call myself a runner now!

Riddy
09-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Great job, Kitcherella!

I'm still amazed that I am doing this. I am so proud of myself. Just goes to show what a well designed program and a little determination can take you. ;)

Wannabeskinny
09-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi all. I just started a c25k program, I'm in the first week. I'm a little nervous about joint problems but I'm definitely being careful, stretching, and not pushing myself.

I'd like to know what you use to keep track of time/distance? I have a pedometer and a blackberry, but that doesn't work much for me. Right now I'm just counting paces.

Riddy
09-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Welcome, wannabeskinny! Does Blackberry have any couch to 5k apps? If not, how about looking up the workouts and setting alarms in your Blackberry for the run/walk times? It would be a pain to set up, probably, but it would work. I think some people use a stopwatch. That you would have to keep looking at, and remember when to start and stop.

Take it easy and go slow. I repeated at least 1 workout in each week before I moved on to the next week. I'm still a slow runner - my 5K time is just under 44 minutes.

You can do it!

MelodyLeigh
09-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi all. I just started a c25k program, I'm in the first week. I'm a little nervous about joint problems but I'm definitely being careful, stretching, and not pushing myself.

I'd like to know what you use to keep track of time/distance? I have a pedometer and a blackberry, but that doesn't work much for me. Right now I'm just counting paces.Have you tried any Blackberry running apps? The ones I've seen track your speed, distance, time, and even calories. I use a treadmill, so I go off of the speed and distance it gives me. I use a C25K app to know when to walk and run so I don't have to keep checking the clock. Good luck!

So, I finished another week 1 workout yesterday, and it was even easier than the last one! I am now comfortable with officially starting the program this Tuesday. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday will be my 3 running days. Bring it on, C25K!!

How is everyone else doing?

mandyleigh
09-30-2012, 07:26 PM
So happy to find this thread! I am starting W2 and will do W2D1 tomorrow after work. I'm finding that I'm actually looking forward to the workouts and proving to myself that I CAN do this! I have 3 apps running at one time - C25K, pandora, and runkeeper. Just looked over my "runs" last week and W1D3 showed that the best time and the furthest distance - woot!!

Looking forward to letting ya'll know how W2D1 goes tomorrow!

IsabellaOlivia
10-01-2012, 08:57 AM
I follow the NHS podcasts. They are free and you can download them from http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/pages/running-podcast.aspx

I ran W7D3 today. I managed the first 20 minutes very well, however during the last 5 minutes my pins was stiff as wood.

This week I hope to make Monday, Wednesday and Friday my exercise days.

Wannabeskinny
10-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I will look into an app but I'm not too tech savvy :)

MSEMDEE
10-01-2012, 10:19 AM
I am interested in doing the program and was wondering if anyone else has an HTC Android phone and what apps do you use. I am not tech savy but would like to try. Any suggestions would help greatly.

Riddy
10-01-2012, 11:50 PM
I used the Zen labs free couch to 5k app on my Android phone, and now I have the same app on my iphone. Works fine for me!

And I run Endomondo and itunes at the same time, too. ;)

CelticHarpie
10-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Ok friends. I learned a very valuable lesson: don't let time excuses stop your running! I did W8D2 today, a week after doing W8D1. I was out of town last weekend, and even though I brought my running gear, I just didn't make time to run.

Today I paid for it. It was a tough run. I did it, but it hurt a little.

Moral of the story? It's 40 minutes of your life. How many times do we waste 40 minutes watching TV or surfing the web? Just get out and do it!!!!

Riddy
10-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I try not to let more than 4-5 days go between running. Any more than that, and I will pay for it.

Interestingly, I ran yesterday. I was not really feeling it - my legs just felt heavy. I kept at it because I told myself I would. To my shock, I was a full minute faster than my time on Sunday! I guess "fake it til you make it" really does work! :D

Nayshal
10-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm going to do my very first workout tomorrow :D

CelticHarpie
10-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Good luck Nayshal!

Just remember that it only gets easier if you keep doing it. In a couple of months, you'll be able to run for 1/2 an hour straight without stopping! If I can do it, anyone can.

Let us know how it goes :)

Learning 2 Live
10-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I started doing the C25K last week. I had a jogging partner, but she just flew to India yesterday (she'll be gone for 3 weeks) and now I have no one to jog with. I'm on the second week but I'm just so supremely self-conscious that I can't drum up the courage to do it on my own.

I do Nia, Zumba and Circuit Training with a trainer during the week so I am sure to exercise 4 to 5 times a week. The C25K was to supplement the 2 to 3 days that I do nothing. An hour ago, I was trying to find out if there were any other fitness classes I can take today, because I'm so scared of jogging on my own.

I guess the real reason I'm writing this long post is to find out if other people out there are doing the C25k strictly by themselves. And if so, how do they motivate themselves to do that? Do you ever feel anxious and awkward about it?

Thanks,

L2L

Riddy
10-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Hi L2L,
I always run alone. I'm still pretty slow, so I'm glad I don't have the pressure of worrying about another person's pace. I just pop in my earbuds, start the music and Endomondo, and go outside and run.

I'd like to try a run with someone more experienced, but I don't want to shortchange their workout, either.

Yesterday I ran on my mom's treadmill for the first time. It was pouring, and I wanted to run. I was BORED silly. Even with music or tv, I was just staring at the display, watching the tenths of a mile tick off. I kept thinking "I could just stop the treadmill", but I kept going. Guess I won't go rushing out to buy a treadmill for the winter. :p

IsabellaOlivia
10-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Jogged C25k W8D1. It went fine, I ran a new route today with more hills, which meant I slowed down the pace to manage to get through the full 28 minutes.

Thedollylala
10-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Did week seven day 1 today it was tiring but I didn't stop I felt very proud of myself for achieving it! Yay!

Wannabeskinny
10-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Getting up at 6am is becoming really difficult for me now that the weather is turning cold and rainy and my blankies and pillows are oh so snuggly! Today I'm wearing my sneakers and waiting for my husband to come home and take care of the baby while I go out for a run. The late afternoons are usually my lowest point of the day (tired, hungry, low energy) so I wonder if doing a workout at this time will be good for that.

Thedollylala
10-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm really enjoying running, tho I'm sure I make noises and panting all crazy when I do cause I get stares

Kitcherella
10-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Hello all. I still can't believe I am running 25 minutes nonstop. :running:
And Thedollylala I am sure I do that sometimes. :D
I also raise my arms when I finish as if I am crossing an imaginary finish line. :cb:
I decided I should reward myself with a nice long-sleeve top for the winter. Any ideas/suggestions?

Riddy
10-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I also raise my arms when I finish as if I am crossing an imaginary finish line. :cb:
I decided I should reward myself with a nice long-sleeve top for the winter. Any ideas/suggestions?

I do that, too! :D

I think the important thing about a shirt is that it should be some sort of moisture wicking material. Beyond that, I'm looking for something in a color I really like. I want my clothes to make exercise a more positive experience, if that makes sense.

I haven't run since last Thursday - darn rain. I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Wannabeskinny
10-13-2012, 09:04 AM
I started doing the C25K last week. I had a jogging partner, but she just flew to India yesterday (she'll be gone for 3 weeks) and now I have no one to jog with. I'm on the second week but I'm just so supremely self-conscious that I can't drum up the courage to do it on my own.

I do Nia, Zumba and Circuit Training with a trainer during the week so I am sure to exercise 4 to 5 times a week. The C25K was to supplement the 2 to 3 days that I do nothing. An hour ago, I was trying to find out if there were any other fitness classes I can take today, because I'm so scared of jogging on my own.

I guess the real reason I'm writing this long post is to find out if other people out there are doing the C25k strictly by themselves. And if so, how do they motivate themselves to do that? Do you ever feel anxious and awkward about it?

Thanks,

L2L

What is it about running that makes you feel self conscious? If you're able to take a fitness class with other people surely you can work out alone. Just wondering because I feel the total opposite. I'm terrified of running with someone else because what if I can't keep up or I'm panting hard and I have to keep up with them?

IsabellaOlivia
10-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Completed W8D2.

Kitcherella
10-16-2012, 03:20 AM
me too IsabellaOlivia and I feel great! I was feeling fine, I didn't have to stop, I could continue. Can't wait till tomorrow to finish week 8.

CelticHarpie
10-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Congrats IsabellaOlivia and Kitcherella for finishing Week 8!

Unfortunately, my running progress has stalled. I was out of town for a work conference last week and this week I have been suffering from food poisoning. Also, the fact that it's dark so late in the morning kills me. When is daylight savings again? I'm hoping I can get out and run on Saturday at the latest.

I will be starting Week 9 when I finally get out there, though I hope I can manage it as I haven't been running in over a week :(

Riddy
10-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Nice work Kitcherella and IsabellaOlivia! :cp:

Hope you feel better soon, Harpie! :hug:

FWIW, I missed a week - ran on thursday the 4th, and then not again til last friday the 12th. My times were almost identical for the same distance. I did keep up with yoga in between, though.

Ran 5k again today, and was a few seconds quicker! :yay:

Now to rest and just do yoga til my first 5k race on Saturday. Wish me luck!

Kitcherella
10-17-2012, 03:52 AM
Good luck Riddy! Enjoy the race and the finish line!

Psyence
10-17-2012, 05:42 AM
Hi guys,

I'm doing the couch to 5k ... or at least I was. Since it's been raining practically every day here I've stopped - do you guys run in the rain or...? Should I just bite the bullet and do it? I'm worried it'll give me a cold!

Riddy
10-17-2012, 11:37 PM
I haven't run in the rain....yet. But there's a 40% chance of rain on Saturday right now, so I may get that experience whether I want it or not. :p

augeremt
10-18-2012, 12:42 AM
I'm starting C25k/C210k (haven't decided which one yet) tomorrow and I'd love to join this group. I've tried doing the program many times now but I can't seem to make it past week 5 or 6. I really hope I can stick with it this time.

I love running in the cold so it's one way to look forward to the winter.

When I did C210k last winter, I did a lot of the runs on my own and I did feel awkward at first. I live in a very thin town so I stick out like a sore thumb as is. But running around made me feel even more out-of-place. I especially felt like a pansy the first week or so because the program only had me running for a minute at a time and it seemed so little!

But once I got through that and was running for longer distances I was huffing and puffing too much to care what anyone else thought about me. For the most part, my motivation stemmed from not wanting to lose all the fitness I had worked so hard to get.

Each time I stopped the program I had a decent reason (shin splints the first time, cut off part of my finger another year so getting my pulse too high was extremely painful, and a knee injury last year stopped all forms of exercise for a couple of months). Getting restarted from scratch really sucked, and it took a long time for me to get to the point where I somewhat "enjoyed" running.

So not wanting to go through that beginning stage of suckage is motivation enough to keep going. Keep at it! Focus on your pace or listening to music and you'll be able to block out the feelings of anxiety.

I bought all my long-sleeves at Marshalls. They tend to have a decent selection of off-brand gear that is just as good as the brand gear. They sometimes carry Under Armour if you look carefully enough. I'd suggest looking there first.

IsabellaOlivia
10-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Completed c25k W8D3. Had a nice run in the rain followed by a Pilates DVD.

Thedollylala
10-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Almost done with week 8 I can't believe I'm almost done with the entire program! I plan to re-do it and see if I can make better time than this go thru

IsabellaOlivia
10-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Ran W9D1.

Is there a c210K program? I don't know how to keep up the running after I'm done with the podcasts.

CelticHarpie
10-20-2012, 01:46 PM
After 2 weeks off due to work schedule and illness, I just did W9D1. What a difference. It was hard, but I made it through and stepped on the scale to find myself down 1.2 lbs.

I can't wait for the time change so that I can run in the mornings again.

Riddy
10-20-2012, 02:16 PM
I ran my first 5k race today! :yay:

I was a little slower than at home alone, but I was caught in traffic, and with a friend who hadn't trained. I decided having company was more important than a good finish time. A few friends showed up to cheer me on, and I am so proud of myself! :D:D:D

And IsabellaOlivia, I know Zen has a couch to 10k app if you have a Droid or iphone.

Kitcherella
10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Hey all!
nice to hear you are doing well. This will be my graduation week.
Riddy - Good job! You were on mind, I am happy for you. I will run a 5k in April but today there was a night half marathon and a 5k in my city and I went to cheer on the runners. It was fantastic.
IsabellaOlivia there is also a 5K+ podcast series for Couch to 5K graduates for NHS.
Thanks augeremt.
Have a nice week :)

IsabellaOlivia
10-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Kitcherella: I checked it out. I think I'm going to attempt the NHS 35 minute podcast and also the speed podcast after this week.

Jogged W9D2 today.

Thedollylala
10-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Starting week 9 day 1 today! I can't believe I'm here! I plan to re-do it afterwards to improve timing and speed

augeremt
10-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Is there a c210K program? I don't know how to keep up the running after I'm done with the podcasts.

There is indeed a C210k program, although I don't know if they have podcasts for it. You may need to get a free interval app and add in the days and intervals manually. I've been following the plan this way and so far it's worked great for me.

There's also a Bridge to 10k program that is meant for people who have finished C25k and want to move onto a 10k program. It's 6 weeks long and uses the same principle as all the "Couch to..." programs in that it alternates running and walking.

Here are the links to Bridge to 10k (http://augeremt.blogspot.com/p/bridge-to-10k.html) and C210k (http://augeremt.blogspot.com/p/couch-to-10k.html) that I have on my blog. I don't remember where I got the plans from otherwise I'd link to them directly.

masterptr
10-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Good job everyone...
I only walk these days due to IT band injury and PMS... double whammie :(

augeremt
10-23-2012, 11:00 PM
I did W1D1 of C210k yesterday and it wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. I'm glad I started from the beginning, even with exercising pretty regularly the last few weeks and I'm actually looking forward to W1D2. Totally shocking because I dislike running.

Congrats to all you ladies finishing up!

eyre13
10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Hello everyone! I hope its ok to just jump in....

I started C25K a couple years ago, but injured a foot and had to stop. I decided to try it again now, and yesterday was my Day 1 Week 1. I'm so tickled that I actually made it though without a problem! I was sweaty, but I wasn't as out of breath as I thought I'd be. Really looking forward to keeping on track this time!

:)

IsabellaOlivia
10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
:carrot::carrot:

I completed the programme today!

On W1D1 after running 60 second straight I thought my final hour was upon me, thus I NEVER thought I'd manage to finish the podcasts.

It's funny because runnning 60 seconds straight that very first week was so much harder than running 30 minutes straight today. It doesn't make logical sense that the latter is easier.

Augeremt: I checked the links out. Too bad that they weren't ready made podcasts. I find it very convenient to be told when to run and when to walk so I can solely focus on my running.

augeremt
10-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Augeremt: I checked the links out. Too bad that they weren't ready made podcasts. I find it very convenient to be told when to run and when to walk so I can solely focus on my running.

That's a bummer they don't have podcasts! I thought they would since the programs are so similar to C25k.

And major congrats to finishing the program!!! That's amazing!

augeremt
10-25-2012, 03:07 AM
It snowed a few inches tonight and we're supposed to get a couple more tomorrow. I've always liked being outside in the snow/cold so if it's not too slippery out I'll give running a shot tomorrow. I'm hoping I won't have to wait until Friday.

eyre13 - Congrats on coming back to C25k! I just started on Tuesday so we're at about the same spot, and I, too, was pleasantly surprised by not being too out of breath during the runs. It was a good feeling.

Riddy
10-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Hooray, IsabellaOlivia! :yay::yay::yay:

Auger, I am SO not ready to run in snow yet. I'm not sure what I'm going to do over the winter yet. I tried running on my mom's treadmill a couple weeks ago, and I was bored silly. So I will keep running outside as long as I can stand it. :p

Eyre, that's great that you're starting up! I really wasn't sure I'd ever be able to run - ACL repair in 1 knee, chondromalacia in the other, plantar fasciitis in both feet, and really big boobs - but I found sneakers and a sports bra that allow me to run. :D I'm slow, but I'm running!

I think the universe rewarded me for staying with my friend during the race on Saturday. When I ran Tuesday, I knocked almost 2 minutes off of my time from last week.

I'm thinking of trying the c210k app. There's a big 15k race in Utica in July that ends at the Saranac brewery, and some friends of mine are encouraging me to go for it. The ones that have done the race said you only need to be able to run 10k to run the Boilermaker - the crowd pushes you the other 5k. :D I think for now I'm going to just run for 45 minutes at a time, and see how far that ends up being. If I can add 1k a month, I should get there by July.

Thedollylala
10-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Tomorrow is my last day for c25k! I can't believe it!

eyre13
10-26-2012, 08:46 AM
augrement: Thanks!

Riddy: Thanks! You have plantar fascitis - Do you wear a brace when running or anything?

Today is Day 2 for me. It should have been yesterday, but we had people over and they didn't leave until late. I'm actually looking forward to it... who knew I'd ever look forward to running?! The mind boggles....

Riddy
10-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Eyre,
My plantar fasciitis is under control. I did go to a running store to get fitted for sneakers before I started, because I HATE my orthotics. I have really flat feet, and I ended up with Brooks Adrenaline GTS. They are great for my feet!

I just fit my runs into my schedule, and don't worry too much about how many runs I get in a week. I aim for 2-3, but I've had a couple weeks when I only got in 1 run. But yeah, I hate planning on running, and then having life make me change my plans.

Paja
10-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi everyone! I couldn't find anywhere whether this thread is only for C25K proper, or whether people in "C25K-like" plans can join in. I'm doing an 8 week program that's similar but not exactly the same, and I could really use some encouragement/strict accountability to get through my last 4 runs (I finished W7D2 yesterday), as well as perhaps some help figuring out what to do next when I get there. And... maybe some pointers on running in the rain. ^_^

If it's okay for me to stick around, I think I will.

Riddy
10-27-2012, 03:17 PM
C'mon in, Paja! :wave:

I started running in June. I haven't run in the rain - yet. I'm not even sure I want to find out. :p

I was tired today, so it took me 45 minutes to run 3.14 miles. I'm looking to increase my distance, but as long as I get a full run in, I'm happy.

TheMeIwant2be
10-28-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm on week 6 of C25K and today I completed my FIRST EVER 5K!!!!! It was hard but I thought it was going to be awful. It was really fun. I may be getting hooked on running!

Paja
10-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Congratulations TheMeIWant2Be! I love the feeling when you accomplish a big milestone. It's a reward itself! And thanks for the welcome Riddy.

I finished W7D3 yesterday, which means I'm up for W8D1 tomorrow morning. I'm still adjusting to that 5-10 minutes in the late middle of the run where I feel like I'm dying. I remember it from when I used to run a few years ago, and I know it's not going to go away (it's not a fitness issue), so I just keep reminding myself that nothing can stop me and press on until it goes away.

2Dy2MrwAlwys
11-01-2012, 01:15 AM
I need to make a change to my exercise routine in a big way, and one of the things I've always fallen short with in fitness is running. I've never been able to run and I feel like tackling that challenge would be such a huge success and motivator for me. So! As of today, I am starting the C25k program. I have an app on my phone I'll use to help with timing and keeping track of my workouts, and I'll check in here each time I complete a workout. Wish me luck! :woops:

2Dy2MrwAlwys
11-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Well, I did it!! I completed my first workout and I didn't stop or slow down once! I had a little difficulty trying to figure out how to breathe, but I just kept running and now I feel FANTASTIC!! :carrot: I am so strong and I'm only going to get stronger with the help of C25K! Could anyone contribute some breathing tips for a beginner perhaps? I know we're all in the same boat, but I have a feeling at least a few of you are eons more knowledgeable than I on the subject. Please and Thank You!

Week 1 Day 1: Complete!

Paja
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM
2Dy2MrwAlwys - Congrats! Keep it up!

I'm in need of some major help (hence, the long post). I went out Tuesday on W8D1. To be clear, this is for me a 28 minute run following 27, 26, and 25 min. runs (all completed successfully on the first try). Nothing should be giving me difficulty at this point. On Tuesday, with about 7 minutes left in my run, I simply stopped running. (This happens to me sometimes, but normally my brain can override my body and pick it back up again before I've actually started to walk; that didn't happen here.) I walked for about 30s-1m, and then finished my run. I was disappointed in myself, but it's just one run, and I chalked it up to an off day.

Today, I went out to repeat W8D1. With 13 minutes to go, again, my body stops running. I walked for 30s or less, and started again. About two minutes later, bam, I'm walking again. That time I told myself that there was clearly something wrong with my motivation. I sat down on a bench and vowed not to get up until I was ready to run to a tall building I could see in this distance (it's about halfway into my cool down, so a bit of a challenge). I finally got up (wobbly legs from sitting), and I ran to that building because I had to prove that I could.

My disappointment from Tuesday is magnified tenfold. I'm angry at myself– both my body and my willpower, which I believe are equally responsible in this situation. I've never failed to complete the same workout twice.

Advice, hugs, commiseration are all welcome.

Also, a more direct question: for those of you who are morning runners, what do you do about breakfast? After struggling with feeling it sloshing around in there, I tried an experiment today with waiting to eat until after my run. Unfortunately, I think the stomach cramps I was getting throughout the second half may have contributed to my repeated stop-and-walks. I don't have time in the morning to eat and then wait for it to digest before my run. Again, any advice welcome.

2Dy2MrwAlwys
11-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Week 1 Day 2: Complete!

Well I tried to rush and squeeze all three runs into this week, giving respect to my rest day (Sunday) and my gym day with fiance and FIL tomorrow. So I did day 2 right after day 1, no rest for my still adjusting muscles. :faint: Bad choice. I wasn't too tired, but my calves and shins were very disagreeable. I decided to play it safe and go easy this time around to avoid injury. So I did W1D2, but it was a very light session. I'll probably repeat week one again next week.

Amanda1977
11-02-2012, 08:12 AM
New here! I just finished the 2nd week of C25K yesterday. I made it to week four earlier this year but had to quit after an achilles injury. (Injured myself in a fitness class, not running.) It feels a little more difficult this time around. lol

Question--Is anyone else doing the program on a treadmill or know someone who has? There's just no logistical way for me to run outside right now. I'm curious as to how difficult it's going to be to transition from treadmill to 'real' running, though.

Anyway. Just saying "hi"! I'm happy to see a C25K thread. :)

2Dy2MrwAlwys
11-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Hello Amanda1977! Good to see another fresh face here. :halffull: I'm doing C25K on the treadmill and was wondering as well if it was particularly hard transitioning to the "open road", so to speak. ;) Great to have you! Happy running.

Amanda1977
11-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Hello Amanda1977! Good to see another fresh face here. :halffull: I'm doing C25K on the treadmill and was wondering as well if it was particularly hard transitioning to the "open road", so to speak. ;) Great to have you! Happy running.

Thanks! A friend of mine is wanting to do what would be my first 5K 'run' at the end of the month. There's no doubt that I would not be able to run the whole thing (there would definitely be some walking involved!) but I just wonder how much of a shock to the system it would be. My running style is really more of a 'bounce-in-place' so I think it would take me much, much longer to complete a 5K for real rather than on a treadmill. :D

Riddy
11-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Hey everyone! :wave:

I am by no means experienced, but I can tell you my limited experience with c25k.

I started walking in May, started c25k mid-June. It took me til mid-September to finish the "8 week" course. I repeated at least 1 workout each week because I was concerned about my feet (plantar fasciitis) and knees (ACL surgery and chondromalacia). I run SLOW. My fastest time was yesterday - 40 minutes, 49 seconds to run 5k.

I was told to run as slow as possible at the beginning. If you can run slower, then you're running too fast. Seems to work for me - I've never had anything more than a little muscle soreness along the way.

I don't eat much before I run in the morning. I either have a hard boiled egg and a cheese stick, or a plain greek yogurt with 2 teaspoons of jam stirred in. Seems to be just enough to keep me going, but without feeling too full. In the summer, I took water on my run and took little sips if I got thirsty, but now that it's chilly out, I don't need it.

I've only run on the treadmill once - I was bored silly. I run outside - at least until it gets too cold out. ;)

Hope this all helps! I'm still kind of surprised that I am able to run a 5k. I never really thought it was possible.

Go run, chicks! :D

Thedollylala
11-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I finished day two of 5k210k I'm enjoying the training so far, my shin is killing me but they were bothering me before I started 5k 2 10k .... Plus I went to a Halloween party on Friday and may took a spill on my knee doing the cabbage patch eeep hopefully I didnt damage myself too much

2Dy2MrwAlwys
11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Whoops, forgot to check in. W1D3 completed on Saturday. :)

dstalksalot
11-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Starting intervals again after losing 60 pounds. My goal is to run a mile non stop within a 5 K. The last time I attempted I spent several months working up to about a half a mile non stop and reinjured my lower back. I am hoping NOT to do that again. I always go slow but still seem to reinjure my self.hoping to post here for inspiration.

Changergirl
11-07-2012, 06:26 AM
I've started C25K for the 3rd time, I haven't made it past week 4. Not because I've quit per se but in both cases I moved halfway around the world and just never picked it up once I got settled in. The two previous times I've started the program I ran on a treadmill but I don't have one here and gym memberships in my town are really expensive so I've been doing it outside. Hopefully the cold won't stop me in the coming weeks. I really want to finish this time but I'm just going to take it one week at a time.

Good luck everyone and let's do this!!

2Dy2MrwAlwys
11-07-2012, 08:07 AM
W2D1 done Tuesday.

My body felt strong and amazing but my lungs were burning so bad. It was really frustrating knowing my body could keep up with the pace I was at, but my lungs couldn't. It felt like I couldn't get enough air. :faint: I was also a little light headed after my workout. The only thing I could think of was that I may have been dehydrated. We ran out of water today so I almost didn't get any at all until my trip to the gym.

Amanda1977
11-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Riddy--I had not heard that about running as slow as possible. I will definitely keep that in mind. So far I have set the treadmill on the fastest possible time I can walk (3.5--any faster than that and I have to jog it) and have pushed the jogging part as hard as I could. I started having shin split-type pain last week and have taken a few days off because of it. (Plus I was totally rocking the mummy-look with my Ace bandages for a couple days. lol) I think that if I backed off on the intensity of the jog I will do better long term.

Thedollylala--Congrats on starting the 5K210K. I love the idea of training for a 10K so that program is on my radar. Are you planning to go beyond a 10K at some point? Or are you just taking it as you go?

2Dy2MrwAlwys--Congrats on getting into week 2! I have the opposite problem sometimes where my breathing/heart rate is fine but my legs just can't go anymore. I'm starting this at a pretty high weight, though. I don't do a very good job of getting my water in when we're out either. I know I could drink out of the tap but I just don't. I actually need to go exchange our jugs soon. Thanks for the reminder. lol

Changergirl--This is my second go-round with C25K. I hurt myself in a fitness class last time and stopped right after doing the first run in the 4th week. I'm in week three now and have my fingers crossed that I make it through. lol We moved from Germany to California in 2010 and then from Cali back to Germany in 2011--I hear you on the adjustment period. It's rough! By the way, I spent a little bit of time around Taegu, South Korea several years ago. I didn't get to see as much as I would have liked but it's a beautiful country.

I hope everyone is having a great week! :)

MariaMaria
11-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Hopefully the cold won't stop me in the coming weeks.

Think layers and wicking material. There's some really great warm-weather gear out there.

Riddy
11-07-2012, 11:35 PM
I ran yesterday in 35 degrees and breezy. A wee bit chilly in my current clothes - wicking undies and long leggings, sports bra, wicking tee and wicking compression jacket. Next time it's that cold I'll try my wicking long sleeve shirt under the jacket. I did pretty good, though - ran the 5k in 41 minutes, kept running for 45 minutes, 3.41 miles total.

I'm thinking of trying the 10k app once I get tired of just running for 45 minutes at a time.

I'm going to attempt a run tomorrow, but I am SO skipping it if it's snowing out. :D

augeremt
11-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Hi ladies. Lots of silence on my end because it's been so nice outside that I've been riding my bike more and more, and not running as much. I tend to save running for the cold and crappy days (I actually like running in the cold but it's just miserable on the bike), and with our weather being awesome lately I haven't had much incentive to run. I am exercising though so all is not lost. It's supposed to be pretty bad the next few days so I'll be doing the week 2 runs soon.

Keep up the running! You guys are doing great.

augeremt
11-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Auger, I am SO not ready to run in snow yet. I'm not sure what I'm going to do over the winter yet. I tried running on my mom's treadmill a couple weeks ago, and I was bored silly. So I will keep running outside as long as I can stand it. :p

I cannot handle the treadmill, which is probably why I "enjoy" running in the cold/crappy weather. It's the lesser of two evils and seems so much more preferable to the dreadmill. I get bored easily, practically fall off because I can't keep a consistent pace, and hate the thud sound I make with every step.

Anywhos, after a while you'll learn to love the cold. With enough layers, it's really fun.

augeremt
11-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Hi everyone! I couldn't find anywhere whether this thread is only for C25K proper, or whether people in "C25K-like" plans can join in.

I'm doing C210k so I'm also a bit different than everyone else. We're here to support each other going through a running plan so you are very welcome to join us!

I could really use some encouragement/strict accountability to get through my last 4 runs (I finished W7D2 yesterday), as well as perhaps some help figuring out what to do next when I get there

What distance will you be running at when you finish your program? The options are to go longer or get faster. So either do a program that works to a longer distance or do yours again with hills and intervals mixed in (jog during the walking parts and sprint/run faster during the running parts).

And... maybe some pointers on running in the rain. ^_^

As much as I mention liking running in crappy weather, I'm not a fan of rain so I have no good advice for you. You'll feel better once you're done? That's all I got.

augeremt
11-08-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm on week 6 of C25K and today I completed my FIRST EVER 5K!!!!! It was hard but I thought it was going to be awful. It was really fun. I may be getting hooked on running!

A very very belated CONGRATS!!! I hope I can get to the hooked on running part you mention. A lot of people mention that it comes to them after several weeks of running so hopefully I'm on my way there.

augeremt
11-08-2012, 01:24 AM
My disappointment from Tuesday is magnified tenfold. I'm angry at myself– both my body and my willpower, which I believe are equally responsible in this situation. I've never failed to complete the same workout twice.

Advice, hugs, commiseration are all welcome.

Massive commiseration from my end. When I did this program last year, I couldn't get through one of the weeks and would just stop mid run and pout. Most of the time, I would literally have a debate with myself about how much I didn't want to run but how I needed to suck it up and do it. I'm sure people around me thought I was crazy.

It seems to be a normal thing to feel that way. Maybe you're just having an off week. The great thing is that you finished both of those runs, even if you had to stop during them. That's a point of pride and remind yourself of how far you've come. It's awesome that you're able to run so far for so long, and one or two stops shouldn't take away from that.

Also, a more direct question: for those of you who are morning runners, what do you do about breakfast? After struggling with feeling it sloshing around in there, I tried an experiment today with waiting to eat until after my run. Unfortunately, I think the stomach cramps I was getting throughout the second half may have contributed to my repeated stop-and-walks. I don't have time in the morning to eat and then wait for it to digest before my run. Again, any advice welcome.

Perhaps have a little bit of food as you're getting dressed, like half of a banana, or the whole thing if you can handle it. I used to do that for swimming in the mornings, which I know isn't as jostling as running, but the little amount of nutrition helped me get through the hard workouts without the nausea I'd feel if I ate too much.

Nikel1979
11-08-2012, 08:28 AM
A very very belated CONGRATS!!! I hope I can get to the hooked on running part you mention. A lot of people mention that it comes to them after several weeks of running so hopefully I'm on my way there.

It took me about 2 months to stop hating running. Then over the next month, I started noticing that I was able to zone out and not think about running for every single step. I'm doing my own modified version of C25K, and I realized it was time to up my intervals again because I was running past the walk breaks, even though I have the cues over my music. The first 1-2 miles are still harder for me, but it gets easier each week.

Cattails
11-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Omigosh, last night I did W4D2 - I did it! And it wasn't quite as difficult as W4D1 two days earlier. I can't believe I'm running for a full 5 minutes at a time. I started C25K in September - obviously I'm taking it really slow, lol. But it is incredible to see how my fitness has increased - two months ago, 1 minute of jogging was really hard, and a week ago, 3 minutes was the hard part.

All of you are so inspiring. I keep thinking, "if those 3FChicks can do this, maybe I can too!" I hope I can get to the end and actually run a whole 3 miles at a time. It seems impossible but I never thought I'd get to Week 4, so maybe I can make it to Week 8 too! Reading these posts are really encouraging, so thank you everyone for posting!

Riddy
11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Anywhos, after a while you'll learn to love the cold. With enough layers, it's really fun.

I'm actually not as worried about running in the cold as I am worried about slipping and falling. I am a terrible klutz, and I'm terrified of falling on the ice. I fell on black ice at work several years ago and landed smack on my elbow - ruptured the bursa. I also tore my ACL slipping on beer on the floor (St Paddy's Day drinking & dancing incident).

But running through snow or while it's snowing doesn't sound much fun, either. ;)

Personal best today - all my miles were under 13 minutes, and my 5k time was under 40 minutes! 3.54 miles in 45 minutes total - yay me! :yay:

Changergirl
11-08-2012, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=Riddy;4522746]I'm actually not as worried about running in the cold as I am worried about slipping and falling. QUOTE]

That is a good point and something I didn't really think about!!! Now I'm more worried about this than the cold and I hate the cold. I think I have enough layers to get me through that and running warms me up anyway.

I ran wk2d3 last night and it sucked. I'm so embarrased by the fact that 90 seconds is killing me. I know it'll get better but right now it still sucks, I just have to make sure i don't quit. I'm going to go out again tonight and hope it gets better if not I may be stuck on this day forever.

I also have no idea how to quote someone properly, whoops :)

Paja
11-09-2012, 05:18 PM
It's awesome that you're able to run so far for so long, and one or two stops shouldn't take away from that.

Perhaps have a little bit of food as you're getting dressed, like half of a banana, or the whole thing if you can handle it.

Thanks for the support and advice, especially about eating. I gave it a shot, and I found that eating just a little and not drinking anything seems to be perfect.

After last Thursday's bad run, I skipped my Sunday run (I had a good excuse, operative word being excuse). Then when Tuesday came around, I realized that I had also skipped Friday laundry (I was out of town), and I didn't have anything to wear.

Wednesday I went back out for W8D1 (for the third time), and I finished it successfully! Today I went out and did W8D2; a little slower, but still a good finish. That means I'm on track to finish either Sunday (if I take my running shoes out of town with me) or Tuesday.

I had a major revelation in the almost-week that I took off; the biggest cause of my unplanned stop and walks was neither my body nor my willpower (at least not directly)– it was boredom. In his book "This is How" Augusten Burroughs talks about how discomfort and boredom magnify each other, and this is definitely what I'm struggling with.

I'm not totally sure how to combat boredom; the two most recent runs I did "backward" from my normal route, and that helped quite a bit, but after that I'm out of ideas. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Paja
11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm so embarrased by the fact that 90 seconds is killing me.

If it makes you feel better, 90 seconds kills me too, and I'm almost done with my program. I remember being shocked when I went directly from 90 seconds to 3 minutes and I found 3 minutes so much easier. It's almost like that's the amount of time it takes me to get in the right rhythm, and it's made worse when I'm also wondering if it's time to stop yet. You can get through it!

Nikel1979
11-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm so embarrased by the fact that 90 seconds is killing me.

Don't be! Back in Aug, 90 seconds was killing me too. Now I can run 7 miles using 5/1 intervals. I can run longer intervals than 5/1, but I can't maintain them for 7 miles. ;)

Like Paja, I find some of the longer intervals easier. If I drop down to 3/1, my legs kill me on the walk intervals.

And don't feel bad if you have to repeat weeks. C25K had me jumping up to 5 min runs too quickly. I just held firm at 3/1 until I felt ready to move on. If the longer runs never feel good, then keep rocking the shorter intervals. I'm training for the Disney Princess Half Marathon, and there are plenty of people planning on doing 1/1 intervals the entire way.

Dreamer2012
11-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Hey everyone :)

I'm wanting to begin C25K but not until the new year. I've been doing a bit of research into it and it confuses me on how it works. So, I was wondering could anyone answer any of my following questions please?

Is it simply following a plan like this (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) for 9 weeks?
Do you prefer to jog or run the 5K? (Once you reach the 5K)
Could you spend two weeks doing the same workouts?

I don't know if it would be cheating or not to alter the plan or not. I'm not sure if people follow a specific plan or just make up their own plans. Any help/advice would be appreciated :)

2Dy2MrwAlwys
11-11-2012, 06:46 PM
W2D2 done on Saturday. I'm going to repeat Week 1 come Tuesday.

tamiam
11-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi, y'all! I will be starting C25K next month (12/1) in preparation for my first 5K in February. I'm going to give myself a "soft start" until then by walking for 35 minutes 3x/week on the days I plan to run so that I get in the habit of getting out of the house for a few weeks before I actually start C25K. Reading about your progress is very inspiring. Keep up the good work!

Changergirl
11-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Hi guys, thanks for all the support, especially Paja and Nikel. It's always nice to know that other people had the same trouble but were able to get through it. I'm going to use both of you as inspiration.

I ran wk2d3 on Friday and found it a bit better. I was going to run it again last night but I was way too exhausted after a weekend away. I'm going to try and move up to wk3d1 tomorrow and see how it is. I can always go back if I need to.

Dreamer, I follow something similar to what you posted however I edit the schedule to fit my abilities. I usually will run each day twice so it's going to take me double the amount of time to finish. I know other people who have finished and they also altered the schedule to fit them better, just do what you can!! Good luck once you start.

Paja
11-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Is it simply following a plan like this (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) for 9 weeks?
Do you prefer to jog or run the 5K? (Once you reach the 5K)
Could you spend two weeks doing the same workouts?

I don't know if it would be cheating or not to alter the plan or not. I'm not sure if people follow a specific plan or just make up their own plans. Any help/advice would be appreciated :)

I hope you don't mind a long-ish answer. To give you some background, I finished the program a few years ago, and kept running until a bicycle accident took me out for about a year. After the year, I found I no longer enjoyed running, so I stopped. I've intermittently used various parts of the program on their own. I started again from the beginning at the beginning of August, and I'm on track to finish this week.

Yep, the plan that you linked to is the "official" C25K plan, so it's what a lot of people mean when they reference it. Other people do C25K inspired plans. (For example, I use the Ease Into 5K app, which alters the official plan to avoid copyright issues; having done both now, I like Ei5K a little better, but they're effectively the same.)

I prefer to never use the word "jog." I have a negative visceral reaction to it. I say if you're not walking, you're running. You may be running slowly or running quickly, but it's all running (provided it's not, you know skipping or some other human powered locomotion). I run between a 10 and 11 minute mile for the 5K, which is considered too fast by some people who are way more scientific than I am. It's comfortable for me, so that's what I do. Do what works for you to start, and if you need to bring science in to improve your performance or reduce injury, you can think about that later.

You can absolutely spend two weeks doing the same workouts. My rule has been that I repeat a workout until I complete it successfully (not walking during the runs), and then I move on to the next one. With three weeks out for sickness, the 8-week program has taken me about 14 weeks. I made it a rule to always try the next run if I successfully completed the last one (even if it was a struggle), because I often surprise myself with my abilities. But it would also be totally fine if you just decided from the beginning to do every workout twice, or whatever it is that makes you comfortable.

Finally, you can't really cheat on C25K as long as you're happy with your own progress (and you're not in some kind of competition or something).

Dreamer2012
11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks so much for the information and advice, Changergirl and Paja. I look forward to beginning C25K in the new year. It's just not a good time to begin a plan at the moment.

augeremt
11-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Jumping from 3 minutes to 5 minutes scares me a lot. Not gonna lie. And I've found that I usually quit at that point. I'm nowhere near those intervals (I still have a few weeks of 1', 2', and 3' intervals) but looking at that jump is already getting me a bit discouraged.

So thank you Paja and Nikel1979 for your advice and experience. Maybe I shouldn't be so scared of it.

I also struggle with boredom, even now with the 1 minute intervals. Any suggestions for fixing that?

As for my running progress...
I took a week off from running to bike and since I was just finishing up week 1 anyways I decided to start the whole thing over. Based on my times, I didn't lose any run fitness and actually got faster! I was able to get all my running intervals under a 10-minute mile pace, with most being well under a 9:30-minute mile pace.

I often struggle deciding on when I'm ready to move onto the next week so maybe this could be a good marker...repeating until I can get under a 10-minute mile pace. In the past when I was in worse shape than I am now, I was at 10 minutes or around 10:30 even for the longer runs, so this could be a good way to get faster and go longer. We'll see.

augeremt
11-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the support and advice, especially about eating. I gave it a shot, and I found that eating just a little and not drinking anything seems to be perfect.

After last Thursday's bad run, I skipped my Sunday run (I had a good excuse, operative word being excuse). Then when Tuesday came around, I realized that I had also skipped Friday laundry (I was out of town), and I didn't have anything to wear.

Wednesday I went back out for W8D1 (for the third time), and I finished it successfully! Today I went out and did W8D2; a little slower, but still a good finish. That means I'm on track to finish either Sunday (if I take my running shoes out of town with me) or Tuesday.

Congrats on finishing those runs and figuring out your pre-exercise eating! And good luck with this last week of the program. Sounds like you're on track to rock it!

augeremt
11-13-2012, 05:01 PM
You can absolutely spend two weeks doing the same workouts. My rule has been that I repeat a workout until I complete it successfully (not walking during the runs), and then I move on to the next one. With three weeks out for sickness, the 8-week program has taken me about 14 weeks. I made it a rule to always try the next run if I successfully completed the last one (even if it was a struggle), because I often surprise myself with my abilities.

Ooh, I like your two rules! I may have to adopt them for myself.

augeremt
11-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi, y'all! I will be starting C25K next month (12/1) in preparation for my first 5K in February. I'm going to give myself a "soft start" until then by walking for 35 minutes 3x/week on the days I plan to run so that I get in the habit of getting out of the house for a few weeks before I actually start C25K. Reading about your progress is very inspiring. Keep up the good work!

That's a great idea! Establishing a routine of getting out the door is a fabulous way to start. That's usually the hardest part for me, at least.

Paja
11-14-2012, 03:23 PM
To sum up the following paragraph in two words: I graduated!

Yesterday I finished W8D3, the last day of my program. I wasn't going to do it (I'm getting sick again, ugh), but I wanted to be able to say that I finished so bad, especially because I know I'm going to have to take some time off now that I'm sick. And it was great! Maybe because I knew it was a milestone, it was an easy run, and I definitely know I could have gone farther. I made a playlist especially for that run with songs that have motivated throughout the program; every one reminded me of a different run and what I was going through then, which was a lot of fun. This is actually the first run on my home route that I've enjoyed, and it makes me excited for what's to come.

Speaking of what's to come, I have a few ideas that I plan to work through after I finish being sick and keep up with running 5k three times a week for a little while, probably through the end of the year. I hope it's okay if I continue to hang out in this thread during that time (and maybe after if I pick up a similar program); I really like the attitude of C25Kers in general, and the people here in particular.

Establishing a routine of getting out the door is a fabulous way to start. That's usually the hardest part for me, at least.
Me too! Sometimes I have to tell myself that if I make it through the warm up and I still don't want to run, I can turn around and go home. I've never actually done it, though, because it was the getting out that was killing me.

Changergirl
11-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Paja

First off congratulations, that is an awesome accomplishment. I hope to get there someday and because of you it may happen sooner.

I really like your rule of moving on to the next run as long as you've completed the previous one. I always thought it would be better to try and perfect the run, either by going further or physically feeling better during the run. But you make a really good point, when you push your body it can do things you didn't think possible. If I stay on week 3 for 5-6 runs instead of 3 or 4 it's just going to slow down my progression. I'm really going to take that into consideration and I may alter my schedule and continue to move on unless I can't finish it.

I hope you keep hanging out here to give more sound advice and feel better soon.

Cattails
11-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Grats, Paja! It is so encouraging to read about other people's experiences here. I hope you're not under the weather for long.

I did W5D2 on Tuesday - two 8-minute intervals, woot! I continue to be amazed at my body accepting these challenges. The next step is a 20 minute jog - yikes!

Right now I'm recovering from a minor 'procedure' done on Wednesday, so I feel like I should let my body heal for a few days before resuming running. Just yoga and walking for now. Probably I'll redo W5D1 or W5D2 again when I start up on Sunday or Monday.

The weird thing is how much I like this running stuff. It is hard work, but I like the feeling of accomplishment afterwards. On run days, I wake up excited, anticipating late afternoon when I dress in layers, strap on the iPod, and pull on a knit cap to get to it. I'm determined to keep at this until running is easy, or at least easier. So that brings me to my question for everyone: what is YOUR motivation for doing C25K (or C210K)?

CelticHarpie
11-17-2012, 03:48 PM
I haven't been able to run more than once a week in the last few weeks. I'm technically still doing W9 (I've run it about 4 times). For the time being, that will have to do.

However, the great news is that my run today took me down to ONEderland! I weighed in after my run at 199.6.

For me, running has truly been the difference in the weight loss this time. Even when I have been off plan (as I have been for the last few weeks), I'm maintaining, not gaining, because I get running into my week. Even if it's only one time a week, it makes a difference!

So excited to continue to run, lose, and feel and look better. I even ran on a busy street today and didn't care about how I looked in my running gear :)

TechieTechie
11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Oddly enough, basically all half marathon to ultra running distances programs recommend that you increase your run workouts by no more than 10% each week. Mostly so that your soft tissue has time to adjust and to prevent injury.

It seems like there are huge interval leaps in these couch to 5k programs.

Not to say that people shouldn't use them...they can be a huge motivator. But those huge mileage jumps, IMHO, can be a prerequisite to minor injury if you don't listen to your body very, very carefully. Also, trail running, treadmill, asphalt and cement and all have differing amount of stress on your lower body...changing these can also affect how you feel.

But folks who are rightfully nervous about big jumps in running timing from week to week...I think it's okay to modify the amount of increase you do. Just as long as you increase....and you are consistent about it. Those are the important parts.

Good luck

Nikel1979
11-18-2012, 09:51 PM
It's not that it's a big distance jump though. In week 6, for example, you go from 2 10 mins runs with a 3 min walk in the middle to a 22 min run with no breaks. That is a 10% increase

TechieTechie
11-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Paja....previously recommended yogurt or bananas are often eaten....but you can also nibble a 1/2 slice toast (with maybe a bit of protein), a half granola/power bar, or maybe even peanuts. Typically your blood sugar level is at its lowest first thing in the morning, so even just a few bites (200 calories ish) of something easily digestible (that's not too sugary) will help keep your energy level up and stomach issues at bay.

Don't get discouraged. Even experienced athletes have to play with their nutrition schedule to get something that works for them. If you've ever watched a marathon...a lot of very seasoned athletes drop out due to stomach issues. So just think of it this way.....you're a hardcore athlete now! :carrot:

Good luck!

TechieTechie
11-18-2012, 10:03 PM
It's not that it's a big distance jump though. In week 6, for example, you go from 2 10 mins runs with a 3 min walk in the middle to a 22 min run with no breaks. That is a 10% increase

You are right, but it's a big change in terms of how much straight running there is. Some studies have shown running increases joint stress more than 300% over a brisk walk. So, if folks are struggling with their heart rate/breathing, have a history of joint issues or have a huge mental block, you could add a week where you run 15 minutes/1 minute walk/8 minute run...

....or, you could add two weeks that are

week a) 12 minute/2 minute/8 min

week b) 16 minute/2 minute/4 minutes

then pick up again at 22 minutes straight.

If folks want to push themselves and go straight to it, more power to them. Go for it.

I've coached age group and masters swimming for a long time...and I've had 4 surgeries on my lower extremities (which is a big reason why I am so heavy now). So, when coaching first time exercisers or those with a history of injuries (like me)...I've always gone the 'slow and steady' route. My philosophy is "better to keep them motivated and healthy rather than mentally beating themselves up for not finishing".

But every person approaches and responds to training differently. The most important thing is that you get out there and keep a positive attitude so that you keep coming back.

SDChickie
11-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi all!
I completed W5D1 on Tuesday, but threw in a new Zumba class on Wednesday night. Now I'm so sore, I can hardly move! :(
I just bought a Black Friday special treadmill since the temps are dipping here in the Midwest... so after some yoga this afternoon during which I stretched myself, I'm hoping to hop on there and at least be able to repeat W5D1... kind of thinking I'll need to spend a week on each day of weeks 5 and 6! :)

augeremt
11-28-2012, 05:04 PM
So that brings me to my question for everyone: what is YOUR motivation for doing C25K (or C210K)?

I love playing lots of sports and so every active thing I like doing requires running. So the C25k and C210k programs are a way to get fitter and faster and enjoy these sports even more, because it's much more fun to do things when you're not gasping for air all the time and/or the slowpoke at the end.

augeremt
11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
After a week off for vacation, I'm having motivation issues again. It's so much easier to exercise when there's a set schedule. But starting that schedule again after a week of pure relaxation has been so difficult for me!

It's also been very cloudy here the last few days and that just makes me want to stay lazy. I just have to keep telling myself that sitting around all day is not ok, because that is exactly what got me to this weight in the first place.

TheLauren
12-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Started the plan this morning! I did have to stop the last 15 seconds of one of the runs because my calf started to get really tight and I needed to stretch. Otherwise, I think it was a success. It wasn't easy, but it was definitely doable. I'm looking forward to my next morning out.

Cattails
12-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Good going, TheLauren! If you keep at it, you will be amazed at your progress.

I'm so happy that my 13 year old son has started accompanying me on jog days. He's a terrific sprinter so he really holds back to stay with me, but this program is helping him develop more endurance which he appreciates. And his company is so very welcome! We do simple word association games while we run to distract each other. :)

And with his companionship, yesterday I finally completed W5D3 - the whole 20 minute jog, woot!

Cattails
12-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Onward and upward: did W6D1 on Saturday and W6D2 on Monday. I'm excited about and dreading trying W6D3, lol. Ugh... I keep telling myself I'm building a beautiful, strong and healthy body - this is hard work but it is worth it! Right...? :D

SDChickie
12-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Onward and upward: did W6D1 on Saturday and W6D2 on Monday. I'm excited about and dreading trying W6D3, lol. Ugh... I keep telling myself I'm building a beautiful, strong and healthy body - this is hard work but it is worth it! Right...? :D

WTG, Cattails! You can do it! And yes, it's totally worth it! :D

I am now in W8... 28 minute run. Wasn't so long ago that I was shocked at being able to run 3 minutes straight! Crazy what this body can do.

Cattails
12-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Woo-hoo, 28 minute runs? Chickie, you rock! It is amazing what a body can do when pushed.

After a rest yesterday, today looked like a pretty light day exercise-wise. But then suddenly at 8 pm I felt kind of a thrumming start up inside me and an urge to...run! It didn't go away, so I bundled up and headed out for that W6D3. Unlike most days when I argue and cajole myself into trying to get through the whole run, this time I told myself "22 minute run - quitting is not an option!" Well, I did it! The way I feel right now, I think I just might get to those 28 minute runs too! Yay for us! Okay, I'm a little jazzed right now. :D

SDChickie
12-21-2012, 09:20 AM
THAT is awesome, Cattails! YOU rock!! Don't you just love endorphin highs? :D

I saw a meme on fb that totally captures my feelings about running perfectly... "The pain that I endure became the pleasure that I constantly crave."

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android

Cattails
12-23-2012, 07:49 AM
THAT is awesome, Cattails! YOU rock!! Don't you just love endorphin highs? :D

I saw a meme on fb that totally captures my feelings about running perfectly... "The pain that I endure became the pleasure that I constantly crave."

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android

Aw, that's nice! :o Yes, endorphins = good. Omg, that meme is wonderful! Thank you for sharing it!

Merry Christmas all! :xcheer:

SDChickie
12-23-2012, 11:16 AM
When you feel like crap, RUN. This is my profound thought for the day.

Decided to say, "Screw the last 1.5 weeks of C25K!" and instead decided to just graduate yesterday. I finished my first ever (running) 5K yesterday morning. Improved my distance, incline, AND pace in one fell swoop. I'm impressed that being in a funk was such a great motivator for me... and running is a HECK of a lot cheaper therapy than a licensed counselor! On the other hand, I hope that it doesn't take repeated funks for continued improvements!

Hope everyone has a blessed Christmas! :present:

Cattails
12-26-2012, 06:49 AM
That's awesome, Chickie! Gratz on a terrific 5K and way to kick the funk!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Pink Hurricane
12-26-2012, 07:33 AM
I am highly considering C25K while I am doing 30 Day Shred because I want to run 5Ks and a 10K in the new year!

Cattails
12-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Welcome to C25K, it is a great training program!

Brandibooxoxo
12-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Downloaded the app, but im just really nervous to start.