Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #16  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I repeated week 2, day 3 yesterday, and I was back down to 2.2 miles total. So Sunday's longer distance was a fluke, or maybe I did better because it was cooler out on sunday.

Starfired, I am using 2 phone apps simultaneously - the C25K and Endomondo. Endomondo tracks my time, distance, and speed.

I wear a sports bra and a tank with a built in camisole - I tuck my phone in between the 2. I probably should invest in an armband.

On to week 3 tomorrow!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 163.2/143.6/120

Height: 5'3"

I completed W5D3 today and was able to jog the entire 20 minutes. The gym is closed today so this was a nice workout.

Happy 4th to everyone!! Have a great day!!
Eliza31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #18  
Getting started

S/C/G: 260/tricker/159

Height: 5' 7''

Hello Everyone,

So, I completed the second day of week one. Took some effort in summer heat but I think it was worth it. I will be going shoe shopping for jogging shoes on Friday and look forward to that. Music really helps me zone out and forget about all the fit people running past me while I just walk or jog a little bit though having fit people around is actually great of motivation for me.

I was not aware that one should be tracking distance too though. Is there a predefined distance one should complete?

Perhaps this is a silly question that has already been answered countless of times, but is there anything that can help with blisters?

runthecontinent - I just took a small water battle in my hand, kind of a nuisance but worth it in serious heat for me. Plus I am still doing much more walking than jogging here so it is not really in my way.

Ronja - thank you for the well wishes, I hope you will be right. So far, I am still easing my way into it and try to convince myself that it should not cause joint trouble for me but it is very encouraging to know that you are ahead of me by at least a month and enjoying it!

Eliza31 - I hope you will discover a really good find and fit. It was kind of like a treasure hunt for me but definitely worth the effort. Best of luck to you!

Happy C25K for all!
Lizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Lizz - about the blisters: normally, once you get good running shoes (Friday, yay!), you shouldn't get them anymore. Although I have to admit I still have one spot on my foot where I get blisters, strangely.
I tend to get blisters mainly when hiking and for me, those compeed blister patches seem to help IF I manage to apply them so that they stick! Because those things tend to come loose really quickly, especially when they rub against your sock or something (which is what causes the blisters in the first place, so yeah). You have to use them preventively on the spots where you tend to blister. Now apparently there's also something else, a preventive SPRAY against blisters. Might be more comfortable than the patches, if it works at all. Haven't tried it.
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #20  

Blisters are more about proper running _socks_ than shoes IME. Treat 'em with a Spenco blister kit, way better than the "blister" bandaids.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Jumping into the C25K thread, because I'm loving these runs

I completed W3D2 today and I'm loving it more and more. I use Robert Ullrey's podcasts on my trusty Nano, and carry a bottle of water. If I run outside, I find it a bit more challenging. I can breeze through with barely a puff on a treadmill, and I also get somewhere to put my water and a sweat towel.

I can't wait to start week 4 and the longer runs - I'm getting a real sense of accomplishment out of it, and luckily have not experienced any blisters, strains or sore muscles. I must be doing something right!
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #22  
Shrinking Chick

Week 3, day 1 done!

I had to pause in the beginning - disappearing sock issue - but I survived the 3 minute runs just fine. Every workout I complete makes me more optimistic about being able to run the 5K eventually!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'1"

I just started my first day today and I was so impressed with how well I did! Every time I have tried to do this on a treadmill I have given up halfway through. This time I made sure noone was by me so I couldn't blame being uncomfortable as a reason to stop! I also played a latin channel that I've never listened to and it really pumped me up. I'm excited to do it again.

So when does the love of running kick in
ArmyWife10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #24  
Getting started

Wow, I just love coming in here and read about all the positive experiences you guys are having. This is such a great motivation, thank you!

runthecontinent - thank you for the anti-blister tips. I got a really nice and comfortable pair of running shoes at a competent shop and can't wait to give them a go tomorrow morning. I hope they will also help with the blister problem.

MariaMaria - that is a new point for me, I have not really given socks much consideration. Just used the same ones I use in aerobic and zumba classes. Thank you for pointing that out.

So, I have not run since Tuesday. Work, family visiting me and the heat are my best excuses but I will get back on track tomorrow morning, before the heat rises and really look forward to testing the new shoes.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

Lizz I took a week break and then another in the middle of the program and I was able to get back on track without much difficulties. Sometimes life just gets too busy!

I tried W6D1 but I sadly had to give up before I finished. It makes no sense as it was way easier than W5D3, but I felt still tired from the long W5D3 run, and also I started of running too quickly and found myself out of breath before I reached the distance I wanted. I did run what I was supposed to run time wise though. I also feel my hips and knees, so I think I might have overdone it a little. I will take couple of days break, then do W6D1 again.
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 251/235/sgw 220/lgw 150

Height: 5'5"

Happy to be joining this group! I'm starting the Couch to 5K on Monday. Did it years ago but never completed the training. This time I've got people to hold me accountable and already picked a race in September to shoot for. Getting new shoes on Friday. Reading about what you all are doing is very motivating.
stronger4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #27  
Shrinking Chick

Week 3, day 2 done!

Re - socks - I just got the most fabulous ones at Target. They're Champion, the most expensive ones (about $10 for 2 pairs), and the left and right socks are different. I wish I kept the package, they're not on the Target or Champion website. They're no show, but with tabs front and back, moisture wicking, and comfortably thin for summer. Love them - must go buy more!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #28  
Getting started

Completed my first week today. Starting week 2 on Tuesday.

The new shoes are great, it feels completely different and much more comfortable to move in them, even on hard surface. And no new blisters emerged so I am optimistic that they might have done the trick. I have also realised today that taking it slowly helps to avoid the small pains and had in fact a completely pain free workout today.

Ronja - You are more than half-way through already, that must be a great feeling! I hope your aches will clear up with the couple days of rest and you can get back on track and tackle week 6 soon!

Happy C25K for all!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #29  
Adult Member

S/C/G: 196/184/160

Height: 5'3

I am so glad to find this thread! I am on IP and just started using the Couch to 5K on my iphone. I mostly walked for now, but I did 1.56 mi in 19 min ... I know it's slow, but it is a start!!! I will be following this thread for extra support :O) It was sooooo humid last night, I couldn't breathe, so I missed my walk (darn asthma!) ... today should be my "off day" but I will be exercising instead.

Good luck to everyone!!
Aussieluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 251/235/sgw 220/lgw 150

Height: 5'5"

Aussielover, that's great! I came in slower on my start today. Skipped the first week and went straight to the second week and did 1.41 miles at 25 min. I feel good about it though. Though not as fast as I hope, I did run longer than the prescribed 20 min. Going to try and finish this week at 25 min., then move up to 28 minutes next week. I don't like the big jump from 20 min. to 28 min. runs so I'm inching it up. No pain so far.

Good luck to the rest of you ladies!
stronger4me is offline   Reply With Quote