100 lb. Club - How to handle the ignorant people??

Learning Curve
06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I find it hard to convince myself to go to the gym or to go ride my bike (my fav cardio activity) because people are so rude. When I ride my bike people yell rude things at me from their cars, or their front porches. For example, where I live there is only one hill. It's very steep, and riding down it was a lot of fun, but riding up it is killer. I was determined not to get off my bike and walk though, I was going so slowly I was almost going backwards, but I pushed myself and as I got to the top I was SO proud of myself and a truck with a bunch of guys in it pulls up to the light as I was waiting for it to change and yells at me a lot of very hurtful things I don't want to repeat and it killed the whole thing for me all I wanted to do was get home. Happens alot. I just can't bring myself to do it again :( but I really really want to...

seagirl
06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Ignore them. Or smile and wave. And keep riding!!! Losers sitting on their front porch yelling at you as you BIKE by them?! Keep peddling, smile and wave.

bargoo
06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
When I hear ignorant comments from ignorant people I imagine what they will look ike in a few years. I would think of those guys as having a beer belly, a bald head and dirty fingernails. I get a lot of comfort in that !

Learning Curve
06-26-2012, 09:56 AM
LOL that is pretty funny, thanks guys :)

fatferretfanatic
06-26-2012, 10:25 AM
When I was first starting running,that happened to me too. I great smiled and waved. My mother went through the same thing when she started walking/running at 300 plus pounds. Eventually, those same people will be seeing your dedication. My mother actually had someone stop and apologize to her for the mean things they had shouted. Don't let anyone get you down. You're awesome.

Brandis
06-26-2012, 10:54 AM
They are just realizing that they are fat@sses riding and you are riding. They are really just shouting at themselves for being so pathetic.

Dreamer2012
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
I agree with what everyone else have said. Best way is to ignore them. It can be difficult but it can be done. You are incredible for changing yourself and working for a better lifestyle. They will always be horrible people with horrible personalities.

When I'm out walking and I see people who I knew from school (who I didn't like), I do wonder are they looking at me and thinking that! But I think to myself, I can change my weight. They can't change their awful opinions.

Learning Curve
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
It's good to know it's not just me :) And I'm glad that at least one person matured a little and apologized to your mom that is really great :) I'm maybe a little too sensitive too so I'm sure that doesn't help lol but I'm going to try to stick more to the country roads and keep my mp3 player turned up loud and remember I'm not alone and I have a whole bunch of wonderful supportive people in my corner! I was up to about 11.5 miles in an hour before and I'd like to get back to that and maybe do even better this time!

calluna
06-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Don't ride with an mp3 player and earbuds...please? 'Tis dangerous!

As for the rude folks...it would hurt my feelings too. And I'd get mad. And then I'd come her to 3FC to commiserate just like you did! Good job! Jerks are jerks, but we'll be here to support you. :hug:

Shellbellster
06-26-2012, 11:17 AM
I'm also the kind of person that doesn't like to workout outside. When I was younger and out riding my bike I used to have people yell rude things at me and I stopped riding after that. I should just go out and listen to my ipod with the volume turned up loud so I can't hear people.

Steph7409
06-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Smile, wave, blow kisses! Jerks like that get off on making others feel bad about themselves, so don't let them. Try to replace that hurt with a smidge of smugness that you're working to improve yourself while those people are settling for being a**holes.

Sandi
06-26-2012, 01:41 PM
One of my favorite sayings is...

Let your Haters be your Motivators!!

I also hate it when groups of teens are around. I am always scared at what they might say.

Goddess Jessica
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
I used to commute by bike to my previous job. It had a lot of no-mo hills (no momentum, stop sign before the hill). It was rough. For every 5 horrible people that yelled mean things to me, one (usually female) person would yell something awesome. And I know when I pass bicyclist, runners, etc in my car, I want to yell out to them something awesome.

So remember there are cheerleaders out there. They're sitting in their cars and VERY happy to see someone their size out there being a strong, powerful person.

Haters gonna hate. Don't engage. You don't owe them that.

guacamole
06-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Good for you for getting on your bike and moving! Those ***holes riding in that truck are doing nothing to boost their metabolisms. I would bet that in a year you will be pounds lighter and fitter, and they will still be riding in that truck taking up even more space.

envelope
06-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I had someone make fun of me while jogging. It bugged me, but then I saw the following saying and now I think of this when someone says something ignorant.

It does not matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch.

EagleRiverDee
06-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I would be totally hurt too - mean people suck. But I wouldn't show it. Blow them a kiss! And keep going. Do NOT let these haters make you quit something you enjoy. They don't deserve to have that kind of power over you.

linJber
06-26-2012, 06:56 PM
It hurts, but just ignore it. don't engage them in any way - don't make eye contact, don't wave or blow kisses. My first impulse would be to acknowledge them, but I'm not sure that's ever a good idea where ignorant people are concerned.

I also want to tell you to not turn up the iPod. You need to be able to hear traffic. Just keep in mind the fact that one day soon you will be awesome and they will still be stupid, mean, ignorant, and hurtful. Guess who wins in the long run? Great job in doing what you know is best for you.

Lin

Scilla90
06-26-2012, 07:44 PM
I personally have no problem telling people exactly what I think. I would of been like ya, I might be fat but thats fixable. You're IGNORANT and theres nothing that'll help it!

Neast
06-26-2012, 07:49 PM
I personally have no problem telling people exactly what I think. I would of been like ya, I might be fat but thats fixable. You're IGNORANT and theres nothing that'll help it!

That's me too. My mother ruined my self esteem when I was a child over my weight. Thanks to my wonderful husband, i realized I am beautiful and worthy of acceptance no matter what I weigh.

Learning- good for you for riding a bike. It's over 100 degrees here or I would ride too.

Don't base your self worth on what others think of you. You are awesome. You are beautiful. You are an inspiration to others. you care enough about you to do something for you. Keep riding that bike with your head held high

Scilla90
06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Exactly Neast!!

NateC
06-26-2012, 09:30 PM
some ppl just love makin fun of others. Full props to you for getting out there and making some really positive changes in ur life!

astrophe
06-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Smile, wave, keep on keeping on.

Porch sitting hollerin' meanies? Well, even if you are the LAST of the pack of biking, you are waaaaay ahead of THEM in their development! They are trying to give your their ugly baggage?

That doesn't mean you need to take it on board. Eat my bicycle dust! ;)

A.

Learning Curve
06-27-2012, 08:41 AM
You guys are the most awesome chicks in the world! ILY all already lol

LaurieDawn
06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Some running guru wrote a post called "Hey Fat Girl." Google it, or PM me, and I'll send you the URL. (When I Googled it, it was the first result.) I will copy and paste just part of it, but I read it often, as I very occasionally get the kind of abuse you're describing.

Hey Fat Girl,

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you.

I absolutely believe most people feel this way. Me too. You're awesome for riding up that painfully steep hill, especially without stopping. Congratulations!

ALEKS
06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
They've obviously got insecurity issues themselves. (((hugs))) you're beautiful and I'm proud of you for getting up that hill...it's a daunting task. Go ahead, do it again. You'll get faster and faster each time and you'll be proud of yourself. Nothing can take away YOUR TRUE accomplishment!

Learning Curve
06-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Actually since you mentioned it I can't figure out how to pm anybody lol could you tell me how or maybe is my account too young?

PaulaM
06-28-2012, 06:21 PM
You realize that once you hit your goal those same stupid men will be the first ones to be "hitting" on you don't you? Keep it moving, and I wouldn't give them another thought.

LuvMyMr
07-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I too feared working out outside as I was terrified of someone saying something to me and hurting my feelings. I saw on Oprah that a woman was walking outside for weight loss and some young guy passed by and threw a bottle at her! She then started walking in a cemetary! She said at least I know that no body would bother me there. lol! I loved that. I have a big back yard and I recently decided to jog/walk and after scoping out park after park and being scared to the point of breaking down, I went out back yesterday and get something and said WAIT A MINUTE!! I can do my exercises here! :carrot:

I read so much about the rude and hateful remarks that people say and I am shocked. How stupid! I must admit that I like the replies that people posted that said blow kisses at them. I agree! :D