Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #1  

Default How much do you spend on your "interim weight" wardrobe?

Just curious, how much would you spend on things like pants/jeans, tops, outerwear - when you are still losing?
I don't make much money and I pay so much money for rent (grrr nyc rent haha) and living expenses that I try not to spend too much so I can save up for goal wardrobe clothes. However, I am starting to buy some things. Right now, my limit for jeans at least $30-something or less. Tops-no more than $20. Bras - no more than $20. I'm not really a dress/skirt person.
While I am close to goal, since I am not very tall at 5'3'', even a couple lbs makes a big difference, so even if I buy clothes that just barely zip now, I suspect that when I get to goal they'll be loose...

Last edited by pixelllate; 06-25-2012 at 03:33 PM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!!! Don't get me wrong...i looooove clothes and i looooove to shop. But i just CAN'T invest in "large size" clothing (or let me just call it what i call it...FAT clothes!). I buy everything at Target. They have GREAT clothes for not a lot of money.
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeluver67 View Post
AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!!! Don't get me wrong...i looooove clothes and i looooove to shop. But i just CAN'T invest in "large size" clothing (or let me just call it what i call it...FAT clothes!). I buy everything at Target. They have GREAT clothes for not a lot of money.
Haha YES, that is very smart. I need to get better at resisting, I work near Loehmann's and Century 21, so I have to remind myself that the less I spend, the more I can afford the brand name stuff at my long-term goal size!
I just walked away from these (side note-this is a model, not me)
It was VERY TEMPTING, I love diamond embellishments!!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

At my highest weight I bought only 1 pair of jeans at a time, telling myself "this is the last pair I have to buy, I'll fit into my old clothes by the time these wear out". I bought the cheapest ones I could find and often they were of quite dodgy quality and not too flattering. I did this since December of last year. Each time, I'd wear this ONE pair of jeans every day and eventually rub holes into the thighs. I'd mend these holes until the jeans were just too unsightly to wear anymore and then buy another pair. I went through 6 pairs like this and it was embarrassing because I'd wear the same jeans every day and they really weren't too flattering to begin with.

I'd say invest in 2 or 3 pairs of medium quality jeans, ones that wont damage too quickly but ones you wont be sad about slimming out of, because you never know how long you'll need them.

Shirts last for freakin ever, so yeah, save on shirts if you can.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Heyyy you're not far from me! Depending on where I wind up getting hired I might be moving to one of the outer boroughs.

I spent AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE on my inbetween clothes. I shopped sales/clearance and stacked coupons. Old Navy was my friend because there were many times I would be spending very little and walking away with a lot of clothes.

I don't know if it's worth it for you to trek out there, but the Tanger Outlet in Deer Park is my favorite place to shop for some bargain clothes. The Old Navy there often has in-season clearance clothes, so I've been making out like a bandit on the shorts and capris.

Dots is another place that has cheap clothes and if you sign up for their email list, they send out coupons every other week. One opened up at Bay Plaza in the Bronx last fall and it's a really nice store! I got a bunch of nice things really cheap and a sundress for less than 10 bucks after I used my coupon!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #6  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I spend as little as possible whether I'm at my highest weight, middle weight, or goal. Maybe I'm just cheap!

I just can't seem to make myself spend more than $20 on a top (unless it's nice sweater) when I know they only cost a dollar or two to make. I have very rarely found any clothing made with enough quality to warrant a big spend.

I do, however, spend decent money on shoes - where I do seem to think paying a little more gets you a bit more quality.

Oh - I should add, I will buy quality bras, but will only buy them on sale.

Last edited by Vex; 06-25-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I bought all my clpthes at Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers and Consignment shops. Sometimes you can get brand new items and sometimes Designer Clothes. Jeans are probably about $3.00 , I got a beautiful , new , wool blazer for $$4.00.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I sell my too-big clothes at consignment shops, and buy most of my clothes at charity thrift stores. I will occasionally buy from the consignment shops, but usually only on clearance. I also shop bcoutlet.com and onestopplus.com clearance sales.

By being a super careful budgeter, I'm able to spend almost nothing on clothes (by that I mean that my "profit" for selling the clothes is usuallyl just about what my expenses are for buying new clothes).

It helps that I take good care of my clothes, and buy low and sell high. The thrift stores have the best prices, so I shop there. The consignment shops sell at the highest prices, so I sell there. As a result, I sometimes even make a profit.

I'm also able to buy much higher quality clothing than I could afford on my budget. I've found $200 sweaters for $4, then when I'm done with them, the consignment shop sells them for $20 to $30 and because I get half, I can actually "make a profit" on some clothes.

I've considered trying to make a business of it (buying clothes at thrift stores and selling them on consignment), but then I would HAVE to profit, and that would be more stressful. This way, it feels like a surprise gift when I profit.

I also buy clothes with an eye for sustainability. I just bought some knit capris and slacks with drawstring waists off the bcoutlet clearance rack (using an online coupon code of course) and bought 7 pairs for a total of less than $24 (including tax and shipping).

I've had this brand/style before, so I knew they ran big, so I bought a size smaller. They look nice (not tight) but they have a more fitted look. As I get thinnner I'll tighten the waist, and they'll have a more "drapey" fit. Right now they're new, and really cute and fitted looking. As they get bigger on me, they'll start looking sloppier. So instead of wearing them for casual every day, I'll start wearing them to the gym, and then finally as pajamas (unless I sell them to make money to buy something new).

I accidentally found a great transition bra. I was looking for a half-way decent bra for severe pain days (I have arthritis and fibromyalgia and other health issues). On "bad days" I can't get into or out of a bra without help from hubby. Normally not a big problem unless we're having company over (such as hubby's boy's game nights). Our apartment is small, so I wanted to have some clothes and a bra that were nice enough looking to do double duty as day clothing and pajamas. Finding a bra comfortable enough to sleep in, but supportive enough to feel comfortable wearing around our friends, has always been a challenge.

Then I recently bought a pair of "genie bras" from Walmart. I bought a size smaller than the box recommended because it was the largest size I could find. Turns out to be just right. Not the most attractive bra, but better than the average sports bra. I may have to sew the straps a bit shorter when I lose weight, but the stretchy fabric seems like it's going to "carry me" through at least two bra sizes (meaning I probably won't have to replace it as quickly as I've had to replace traditional bras).

I try to buy clothes with some stretch and drape (thinner fabrics that drape well look nicer longer, than stiff, tailored fabrics).

Even when I get to my lowest weight, whatever that ends up being, I will continue to buy clothes at thrift stores and sell them at consignment stores, because I'll have an even better selection in the smaller sizes. I love being able to wear clothes I could never afford, except by buying them on consigment (especially since it seems the uber-nice stuff usually has barely been worn, if it's been worn at all - I've bought so many items with the original tags still intact, it's ridiculous).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #9  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm spending as little as I can on my way down. No more than $15 on jeans/capris unless I'm desperate (only happened once so far), less than $10 on a casual top, up to $20 if I need a dressy top.

I've been doing lots of consignment store shopping and selling. That's how I learned I LOVE Gap jeans - I got 2 pairs for $8 each! I got cool new white J Crew jeans there for $11.50!

Kohl's and JC Penney are my new favorite places to hunt the sale racks. Penney's cheap tshirts are a much better quality than the Old Navy ones I was buying, for about the same price.

I'm learning to embrace my new limited wardrobe. Plus I don't feel bad getting rid of stuff once it's too big since I know I've gotten my money's worth out of it.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

Thrift stores! I spent $90 on 15 new pieces of clothing a few months ago (That means less than $6 per item). Basically bought a whole new work wardrobe (Working with all women I can't get away with 2 or 3 new pieces of work clothing, they will notice and comment) and several casual skirts and shirts. I did not care for the selection of jeans, so I didn't get any. But what I did get should last me a long time because I bought things from a size 6 through 10 since my current wardrobe is 15-11 and 14-12 (Got rid of my 17s and 16s already).

Edit: Several of the brands I bought I never would have bought in a regular store. Express, Calvin Klein, and Anne Klein are too expensive for me normally. You can find amazing things in thrift stores. My friend is great at digging through them and goes to rich area thrift stores to hunt. She has come up with what appears to be a legit Gucci skirt and a legit, though slightly beat up, Prada purse. The purse was $5 the skirt was $15.

Last edited by Daki; 06-27-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #11  

Height: 5'1"

Salvation Army and thrift stores were a life saver. Also TJMaxx and Marshalls for really good, cheap clothing. If you haven't tried the thrift stores you will be surprised. If you go to one and the quality isn't there, please try another one. Maybe a better area? I got like new jeans, looked like they had never been washed, for 5$. Lots of really great brand names. You won't be in them long, so don't spend a lot unless it's something you can't do without.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #12  

Ross is awesome. Target can be awesome (stuff doesn't usually fit me, but if it works for you, that's great!), thrift stores are GOLDEN sometimes

Each of these will get you shirts or pants for less than $10 a pop - or even less in the case of thrift stores.. like Out Of The Closet or places like that. H&M is nice a cheap too!

I think you should get at least a couple fitting things regularly as you're losing.. and get nice stuff that you'll feel hot and sexy in.. helps keep you motivated! And that's what it's all about
VickyK is offline   Reply With Quote