Ideal Protein Diet - Tasty cucumber & celery recipes

View Full Version : Tasty cucumber & celery recipes

Chloe222
06-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi all,
Thought I'd do this for all of us who need new snack ideas. Cucumbers and celery are "free", so please tell us what you do with them that squelches your appetite, or better yet, satisfies cravings.

I'm pretty basic:
CUCUMBERS:
* Slice cucumbers into spears, spray with EVOO, sprinkle with Real Salt, enjoy with a big glass of water.

CELERY:
* Take 3-4" celery stalk, spread with WF whipped peanut butter. (don't really like the peanut butter by itself, but once on the celery, its better)

rainbowsmiles
06-24-2012, 03:07 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5151/7433913104_4cf6262410.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56800290@N02/7433913104/)

Celery and Cucumber Salad with Herbs

6 celery stalks
1 English cucumber (seedless cucumber), peeled, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
1/3 cup cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

Toss together celery, cucumber, parsley, mint and oil in a bowl. Season to preference with salt and pepper.

Jonsgurl0531
06-24-2012, 03:13 PM
I just eat my cukes with a sprinkle of salt and red pepper flakes. YUM!

rainbowsmiles
06-24-2012, 03:25 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7434030380_9624618b19.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56800290@N02/7434030380/)

Ingredients:

1 zucchini, sliced
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and drained
3 ribs celery, sliced
1 mini orange bell pepper
1 green onion, sliced
1 garlic cloves, sliced
1.5 cups chicken broth
Fresh herbs: parsley, dill, thyme
salt and pepper to taste
dash red pepper flakes
2 oz milk

Method:

Heat zucchini, cucumber, celery, orange bell pepper, green onion, garlic and herbs in broth until soft and the liquid is reduced. Puree veggies in batches in a blender until smooth. Add back to the pot and Stir in milk and salt and pepper to taste. About 1-2 servings

cinthia
06-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Sounds yummy,Thanks for sharing!

rainbowsmiles
06-24-2012, 03:47 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8019/7434193860_6c04c59e1c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56800290@N02/7434193860/)

4 ounces large cooked shrimp, peeled
1/3 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and medium sliced
1 large celery stalks, sliced thin
1 red onion ring diced
2 oz plain greek yogurt (this instead of your 2 oz milk allotment)
you can omit this if you want!!
2 TBSP WF mayonnaise
1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, curry powder and salt.
Add shrimp, celery, cucumbers and mix. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

hatgirlie
06-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I will try them! Get tired of the same ol' same ol'.

Chloe222
06-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Rainbow,
These are GREAT! Can't wait to try the soup!

LizRR
06-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Braised Pork Chops & Celery

The recipe I am working from: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/642684

Ingredients
4 cups chopped Celery (splitting with my husband, ~1 celery rib = 1/2 cup chopped)
Garlic
EVOO
Chicken stock
2 egg whites
1 lemon
2 pork chops

Directions:
1. For the braised vegetables: place the celery and 2 cloves chopped garlic into a large pan with some EVOO and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat for~5 minutes until the celery are slightly softened.
2. Pour in the chicken stock, just enough to cover veggies, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes over a low heat, or until the vegetables are meltingly soft. Keep warm.
3. For the pork chops: season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and add ~1-2 cloves chopped garlic. Add the pork chops and fry for 3-4 minutes on both sides, or until golden-brown all over and cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside to rest.
4. Meanwhile, remove the braised celery and onions from the heat. Spoon the egg whites over some of the cooking liquid. Mix well to combine, then add lemon juice and lemon zest (I like to use all of the lemon!). Heat through gently for a few minutes (make sure the heat is not too high or the mixture will curdle). Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. To serve, spoon the braised celery and onions onto plates and rest the pork chops on top. Spoon over the rest of the sauce.

LizRR
06-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I also roast 4 ribs celery with 1 head cauliflower & 4-5 cloves garlic at 350 for 25-30 minutes and purée for a nice 5 cups of deliciousness I add to my soups each weekday.

rainbowsmiles
06-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I also roast 4 ribs celery with 1 head cauliflower & 4-5 cloves garlic at 350 for 25-30 minutes and purée for a nice 5 cups of deliciousness I add to my soups each weekday.

i do this liz....and use it for "sauces" too or any time i want to thicken recipes!! i love the creamy roasted taste!!! :)

paulimapi
06-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Sounds awesome, thanks!
I didn't know celery was free.

LizRR
06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
You can also make cucumber noodles (similar to your zucchini noodles paulimapi).
Original recipe link: http://www.framedcooks.com/2012/02/marinated-shrimp-with-cucumber-noodles.html

Marinated Shrimp with Cucumber Noodles

INGREDIENTS
2 English cucumbers
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 lemon, halved
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon evoo oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
1 minced garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
18 chilled forks

DIRECTIONS
1. Slice cucumber into long noodles, using a mandoline and being Very Very Careful!! (or a veggie spiral slicer)
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Squeeze the juice from the lemon halves into the water and then drop in the lemons and add the salt. Add the shrimp and cook until firm, about 2 minutes. Remove from the water and set aside.
3. Combine soy sauce, oil, lime zest and juice, ginger, garlic and cayenne in a large bowl. Add shrimp and cucumber noodles, tossing to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Twirl a few cumber noodles on each chilled fork and spear a shrimp on the end. Serve immediately.

Lynnie63
06-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I had asked this in the FAQ sticky, but no one answered yet, so I'll ask it here.

I've read the new P1 shet and don't see where it says cues & celery are free.

Can someone please let me know where this info came from?

wuv2bloved
06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I had asked this in the FAQ sticky, but no one answered yet, so I'll ask it here.

I've read the new P1 shet and don't see where it says cues & celery are free.

Can someone please let me know where this info came from?

I still use the cukes and celery as part of my 2 cups of veggies, I don't count them as "free". I have eaten them for lunch for the past 15 months with success I am NOT changing it....I have not seen an updated sheet stating they are "free"

Chloe222
06-24-2012, 10:57 PM
OMG!! These are such amazing recipes!!

Thank you so much. Tomorrow night: shrimp w. cuke noodles. And maybe the zucchini soup for lunch!

:hug:

Hockeymom40
06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
My coach has never said they are free. I count them toward my 4 cups of veggies too.

redhead14
06-24-2012, 11:04 PM
By the IP Phase 1 sheet cucumbers and celery are part of your 4 cups of select veggies. Coaches may tell you to use them is you are having issues with hunger but not all the time.

Delgen
06-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Sounds awesome, thanks!
I didn't know celery was free.

I thought only iceberg and romaine lettuce were free.

redmomof4
06-24-2012, 11:47 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8019/7434193860_6c04c59e1c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56800290@N02/7434193860/)

1 red onion ring diced
2 TBSP WF mayonnaise
1 teaspoon curry powder
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, curry powder and salt.
Your recipe ideas are to die for. I know I can follow threads, but am looking for a way to follow your posts. I'm a Rainbowsmiles stalker :dizzy:

rainbowsmiles
06-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Your recipe ideas are to die for. I know I can follow threads, but am looking for a way to follow your posts. I'm a Rainbowsmiles stalker :dizzy:

hahahaha awww thank you....but you know what they always say....if you wanna good recipe ask the fat lady!!!! bwahahaha but this fat lady is gonna make over any recipe she can to make it to being less fat...cause i'm not sure i'd ever be skinny except in my dreams!! haha

MustangMolly
06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
I still use the cukes and celery as part of my 2 cups of veggies, I don't count them as "free". I have eaten them for lunch for the past 15 months with success I am NOT changing it....I have not seen an updated sheet stating they are "free"

Thanks, Wuv, I've been out of the loop a bit and hadn't heard of cukes or celery being free.

kikig3
06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
My coach said celery, cucumbers and dill pickles are considered free. I don't usually eat more than 4 cups but if I know I am going to be out running around all day or at baseball/soccer games, I always have a few celery stalks on hand just in case.

greeniris
06-25-2012, 10:12 AM
I asked my coach if celery is 'free' an she didn't think so. Said only lettuce is.

Thank you for the recipes! I look forward to trying the soup :D

kikig3
06-25-2012, 10:17 AM
What I think is nuts sometimes is how different coaches give different responses.

MustangMolly
06-25-2012, 10:35 AM
What I think is nuts sometimes is how different coaches give different responses.

I agree, it is amazing the lack of consistency from one coach to another.

wuv2bloved
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Cucumber lemon drink
Have a few too many cocktails last weekend? Feeling a little bloated or uncomfortable in your clothes? Try this immunity boosting, anti-inflammatory drink that will fill you up, flush your system and make you feel better in no time. Make a big pitcher of this, run yourself a hot bath and relax you will be feeling better in no time.
Makes a Pitcher-
1/2 Lemon thinly sliced
1/4 Cucumber thinly sliced- save 2 slices to place on your eyes
Ice
Water
In a large pitcher add the lemon and cucumber, then the ice and then water. Let sit in the fridge for a few minutes before serving. Pour into a large wine glass, put your feet up and relax. Once the water is down to only 1/4 full refill with water. You can do this several times, keep in the fridge.
The cucumber acts as an anti-inflammatory and the lemons boost immunity. Once you are done with your bath pop in your favorite Yoga DVD, you will be feeling back to yourself in no time.

Chloe222
06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Cucumber lemon drink
Have a few too many cocktails last weekend? Feeling a little bloated or uncomfortable in your clothes? Try this immunity boosting, anti-inflammatory drink that will fill you up, flush your system and make you feel better in no time. Make a big pitcher of this, run yourself a hot bath and relax you will be feeling better in no time.
Makes a Pitcher-
1/2 Lemon thinly sliced
1/4 Cucumber thinly sliced- save 2 slices to place on your eyes
Ice
Water
In a large pitcher add the lemon and cucumber, then the ice and then water. Let sit in the fridge for a few minutes before serving. Pour into a large wine glass, put your feet up and relax. Once the water is down to only 1/4 full refill with water. You can do this several times, keep in the fridge.
The cucumber acts as an anti-inflammatory and the lemons boost immunity. Once you are done with your bath pop in your favorite Yoga DVD, you will be feeling back to yourself in no time.

Wuv,
Love the idea of just relaxing in a hot bath with a big pitcher of this and some soft classical music. Thanks for this.

Hmmm, so celery and cukes aren't free? So sorry everyone!! Well, at least we have some new excellent recipes and I thank all for their input.

evepet
06-25-2012, 08:53 PM

1 red onion ring diced
2 TBSP WF mayonnaise
1 teaspoon curry powder
salt and pepper to taste

I used some of tonight's dinner protein allowance and made myself a 'starter' by mixing 2 oz of shrimp with the ingredients given above. It was delicious. And by adding on that extra course it made me feel like I was eating more..... took longer to finish dinner. :)

evepet
06-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Wuv,
Love the idea of just relaxing in a hot bath with a big pitcher of this and some soft classical music. Thanks for this.

Hmmm, so celery and cukes aren't free? So sorry everyone!! Well, at least we have some new excellent recipes and I thank all for their input.

I can't remember who the poster was.... but I distinctly recall someone reporting in at least a couple of months ago that their coach had been to a regional IP meeting, and came back with the news that either celery or cukes (or both) were now free. But it does seem like it's not universally 'known' by all coaches so I guess it's safer to err on the side of caution until one's coach actually passes along that approval.

Delgen
06-25-2012, 08:58 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7434030380_9624618b19.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56800290@N02/7434030380/)

Ingredients:

1 zucchini, sliced
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and drained
3 ribs celery, sliced
1 mini orange bell pepper
1 green onion, sliced
1 garlic cloves, sliced
1.5 cups chicken broth
Fresh herbs: parsley, dill, thyme
salt and pepper to taste
dash red pepper flakes
2 oz milk

Method:

Heat zucchini, cucumber, celery, orange bell pepper, green onion, garlic and herbs in broth until soft and the liquid is reduced. Puree veggies in batches in a blender until smooth. Add back to the pot and Stir in milk and salt and pepper to taste. About 1-2 servings

I had this soup for dinner and added my cut up steak to it. Wow, it was just so good! Thanks!

rainbowsmiles
06-25-2012, 10:38 PM
I used some of tonight's dinner protein allowance and made myself a 'starter' by mixing 2 oz of shrimp with the ingredients given above. It was delicious. And by adding on that extra course it made me feel like I was eating more..... took longer to finish dinner. :)

what a GREAT idea to have a little starter portion!!! i'm gonna remember that!!! thank YOU!! :)

I had this soup for dinner and added my cut up steak to it. Wow, it was just so good! Thanks!

didn't you just love the creamy goodness of it!! yum!!:)

i love making food that tastes as good as it looks!!

Chloe222
06-25-2012, 10:44 PM
I can't remember who the poster was.... but I distinctly recall someone reporting in at least a couple of months ago that their coach had been to a regional IP meeting, and came back with the news that either celery or cukes (or both) were now free. But it does seem like it's not universally 'known' by all coaches so I guess it's safer to err on the side of caution until one's coach actually passes along that approval.

I love making courses too, especially on IP. I'm one pf those who needs to feel full.

what a GREAT idea to have a little starter portion!!! i'm gonna remember that!!! thank YOU!! :)

Rainbow, again, thanks for these recipes. They are dynamite!

rainbowsmiles
06-25-2012, 11:50 PM
I love making courses too, especially on IP. I'm one pf those who needs to feel full.

Rainbow, again, thanks for these recipes. They are dynamite!

you are very welcome chloe :)

evepet
06-26-2012, 11:07 AM

I think your shrimp salad concoction will be a frequent 'starter' addition to my dinner menu. And I'm definitely making the zucchini soup. I've been looking for a good recipe - and there it is! Thanks! :D

cass2ander
06-26-2012, 03:07 PM

Does it matter what kind of broth??? Just wondering as some have a lot of salt, which ones are ok?

Momto2cs
06-27-2012, 12:22 AM
My clinic does not have them as free. I have also used 1 c cucumber as one veggie for a loooong time.
I do use pickles as free, but I don't eat them every day...

MustangMolly
06-27-2012, 10:17 AM
I love cukes, onions, and cauliflower all tossed in olive oil and vinegar with salt and pepper. (seasalt of course) Sometimes I will add some Italian spices, sometimes I'll add red pepper flakes. It's a great way to get in my veggies and olive oil. I will even pour it over spinach leaves to make a salad and the vinegar and oil serve as the dressing.