Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/see tracker/110

Height: 5'1"

Default What causes you to binge, and what helps you prevent it?

At first, I thought that I binged just because I wanted the food. I only recently discovered that frustration with whatever was going on in my life was really driving it. Frustration kept fueling it throughout a binge as well, combined with all-or-nothing thinking. I'd overeat, get frustrated that I couldn't control myself, then give up and keep eating.

I haven't found the best system for actually preventing one yet. My binges were always very frequent because of that. While they varied in size, they happened practically every day.

I've gone through about 4 days without binging, a new record. I just haven't really gotten the urge. When I do, I think I'll just try to calm down and do something else I actually enjoy.

Last edited by CoffeeFueledUnicorn; 06-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.
CoffeeFueledUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Two factors for me: My monthly cycle AND eating too much sugar/grains/starch. I have been able to trace every single one of my binges to either of those things.

If I keep my diet low carb and high nutrient, it doesn't happen. If I start to slip, it's a slippery slope.

Your body may not work the same way... but it's worth a try? A switch to a whole foods (nothing processed) low carb eating plan, completely erases the desire to binge, for me.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/see tracker/110

ValRock: Actually, I have been considering cooking more of my meals instead of eating processed things. I don't know if it will affect my binging, but I think it's definitely a good change.
CoffeeFueledUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #4  

Makes me binge:
Eating anything other than veggies, fruit, or most meats.
Night time. (after 5-6 I've fallen into a habit of it)

Preventing:
Not eating (if I've binged I easily get back on track after a 24hour fast of everything but water and tea mix.) This may not be for everyone but it makes me focus on setting my mind straight again.

Staying out the kitchen/Premaking meals and eating upstairs in my room.

I say these things, but as far as binging my 'binges' they have gone from large amounts of food at once to mainly picking at a chip or two, a nip of this and a nip of that. However it is still compolsive and uncontrolable.

ETA: deff try cooking more of your meals.
It's amazing how happy you'll be when you can control everything that goes into a dish rather than all the guesses from processed food.
Plus..you may be able to look up low carb/cal versions to your favorite foods you try to stay away from.

Last edited by Yomp; 06-22-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Yomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #5  
Just watch me ...

Part of binging is definitely emotional. Over the months I have found that upping my nutritional levels - less junk food, more lean protein, greens, etc. has drastically lowered my number of binges. Now when I go 'off' plan it's due to lack of planning on my part, or just return of sloppy habits. But it has taken a while for me to get to this point. But it does happen that things get much better.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #6  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

The only way for me not to binge is to not eat even a little of trigger foods. I know for some people saying "never" is what makes them binge but for me I don't say "never", I just have don't pretend to myself that I'm going to eat just one donut. So if I don't want the calorie load of eating a dozen of them, I don't eat the first one.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 143/136/105

Height: 5'3

What makes me binge: pure habit. I've overeaten since I was a kid and it has nothing to do with if I'm sad or happy. I'm more vulnerable when I feel strong emotions, but they're not truly to blame.

How I avoid it: Whenever I want to eat but am not hungry I simply ignore it. No matter how tempting it is, bingeing is just a habit and it can't control me.
Sonia Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #8  
Started IPD 6-19-12

S/C/G: 316/298/175

Height: 5'8"

I binge when I start eating flour and sugar, when I'm tired, lonely, have PMS and sometimes when it's been too long since my last meal and I'm super hungry.
Barb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #9  
Started IPD 6-19-12

S/C/G: 316/298/175

Height: 5'8"

Oops, meant to also say; to not binge having a strict food plan helps me and completely avoiding those certain foods that always result in binges.
Barb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

I binge from emotional triggers, physical pain and boredom. I just joined here and made it through my 1st 3 days by running for my computer and this site. And when my son has the comp. I grabbed my nook and "shopped" hrs deciding on a new weightloss inspiration book to add to the 3-4 my sister put on my nook when she gave it to me, also music and puppy time helps. These are all activities I can't do and eat at the same time.
healthyginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 239/173/155

Height: 6'

I always try to think about how miserable I feel afterwards, because even if at the time the urge is so strong I know I will feel sick later...
raspberry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 317/292/150

Height: 5'3 ½

I don't know what causes me to binge. Tonight, I wasn't even enjoying the food. I remember looking at it, thinking this doesn't even taste that good. :/
livelaughlovesunshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia Banana View Post
What makes me binge: pure habit. I've overeaten since I was a kid and it has nothing to do with if I'm sad or happy. I'm more vulnerable when I feel strong emotions, but they're not truly to blame.
Well said. That's exactly how I view my former binges. They were planned and involved only gourmet food, but massive (several thousand calories in one sitting). It was just a habit I got into -- and eventually got out of.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #14  

Height: 5ft3

A number of factors for me, not really in order of priority:

1 Stress
2 Not having enough to eat at meal times puts me off plan - hence hungry when I shouldn't be so binge
3 Tiredness- if it's late I go to bed - but if I am caught miles away from home then it's binge time
4 Feelings of I have had a hard day and now deserve to binge
5 Travelling and not being prepared if I am hungry
Jalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 23stone/17st11/11stone3

Height: 5'6''

I spent way too many years trying to find out why I binged, and of course, it had everything to do with not being able to cope well with stress or emotions that I did not want to feel. Eating too much was a way to distract myself. Bingeing was a way to medicate, preventing a temporary relief. I had a mistaken notion that figuring out why would help me solve the issue. Nope.

What works for me is to learn the habits that guide me into the kind of life I like living. I learned to take hot baths or long walks when stressed. I learned to watch films, sit at the computer or (rarely) in front of a TV without eating. I stopped eating walking down the street, in the car, at my desk.

I learned what foods actually make me feel good. I practice eating from a small bowl to learn how much food my body really responds well to. The thing is, that I stopped following other people's advice and worked out what I wanted and needed. The biggest change I made was to constantly strive for feeling good and quit doing the things that didn't feel good.

Binges still occur, but far less than in the past and they are so much less in amount. I can't stand feeling full or bloated, so I stop sooner. I am learning to trust my body more, listen to it, honor the signals it sends when I pay attention.
mysleepingdragon is offline   Reply With Quote