Ideal Protein Diet - New to site but not yet to IP! Need advice, kinda

aimeed3
06-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site (by joining) but being on different diets I have heard of it. I am going to a seminar on Saturday about IP. From what I've been reading it is a very good and successful program (of course if you stick with it).

I was wondering, for someone who has not officially joined IP yet, what would you tell me about it? What kind of success have you had?

I have close to 100 lbs to lose and I've pretty much tried a bunch of different diets out there.

thanks a bunch and I look forward to becoming a part of this group!
Aimee :)

wuv2bloved
06-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Its a wonderful program to follow BUT it will ONLY work IF YOU STICK TO IT......NO CHEATING!....I have been on it for almost 15 months now and have had success of losing 164lbs so far with another 20 or so to go. There is a variety of different foods to choose from so you don't get bored with it. Lots of recipes to look through and experiment with. Its up to YOU in how well you do on the program. YOU have to make the COMMITMENT to YOURSELF to make yourself better. You can't do it for anyone else but YOURSELF. Once your head, mind and heart are into it then you will have success. I BELIEVE in this program with my whole heart, I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to put forth the effort to change their lives for the better. I wish you all of the luck in the world.

aimeed3
06-21-2012, 04:13 PM
WOW!!! 164 lbs in 15 mths???? What an inspiration you are! Congrats to you! I see you are in Mississippi too. I am in Louisiana.

I do believe I am ready to make this commitment. thank you for replying are for your encouraging words.

sand5699
06-21-2012, 04:23 PM
I am like you, i've tried many different Diets, WW, South beach, many more and they would work for a bit then i was right back to eating my old way. I'm 4 and a half months into and down 70 lbs, would like to lose about 80 more and i believe/ i KNOW i can do it! I like this diet because it's very strict, my problem with the other diets is you had so many options it was very easy to cheat. This one is set in stone what you can eat and when you should eat it, and i love that! Plus what has helped me is joining this website, you have a very big support team if you need it. Everyone is so supportive and understanding. And there are so many threads with different receipes or different idea's people come up with so that is a big help so you don't get bored.
Hopefully that helps and like WUV said you can't cheat, and you have to be determined, and wow i never thought it would be me, but here i am 70lbs down, lightest i've been in 12 years and loving it!

aimeed3
06-21-2012, 04:34 PM
WOW sand!!! 70 lbs in 4-1/2 mths? You're an inspiration. I will be here in 4 mths saying the same thing! hehe

GrandmaKiss
06-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm new, so don't yet have the wonderful losses the others have spoken about but there are a few things I'd like to add.

This diet is STRICT, but the very strictness of it is a blessing. I managed to gain 150 lbs. by following my own instincts, so it is nice that my instincts are no longer involved.

This diet is not for pussy-footing around. I've dabbled in more diets than you can name, several of them many times. This diet DEMANDS committment. Yes, you will lose weight even with a cheat here or there, but weight loss isn't the only goal. Allowing our pancreas to rest and normalize so that we can be permanently successfull is the ultimate goal. If we're not following the entire diet as written all we are is hungry.

This diet is totally doable, you will not be hungry and you will be satisfied. The first week is T.O.U.G.H, but then again the first week's losses usually make you forget all the pain. You can cook and eat meals with your family one time a day and it won't be diet food, infact it will be BIG servings of meat and veg.

This diet will make you look at food and what your body needs in a whole new way. I thought I knew it all because of the numerous nutrition classes I've had, but this has been light-bulb moment after light-bulb moment.

This diet is expensive, but not as expensive as bad health in the long run, and even cheaper than many McDonalds/Starbucks habits.

Your weight loss coach will help you once a week. This group will help you any time day or night you reach out. Make us your friends.

Best of luck to you, I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

:belly: Kristina

snicker--- I did NOT write kitty-footing, I guess the p cat-word is not allowed.

wuv2bloved
06-21-2012, 04:56 PM
WOW!!! 164 lbs in 15 mths???? What an inspiration you are! Congrats to you! I see you are in Mississippi too. I am in Louisiana.

I do believe I am ready to make this commitment. thank you for replying are for your encouraging words.

Where in La are you from? we have a lot of posters from La especially the BR area

aimeed3
06-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Kristina - Thank you for putting that into perspective for me. I am so excited and cannot wait until Saturday.

Wuv - I live in Laplace, but I work in Gonzales (which is closer to BR)

wuv2bloved
06-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Kristina - Thank you for putting that into perspective for me. I am so excited and cannot wait until Saturday.

Wuv - I live in Laplace, but I work in Gonzales (which is closer to BR)

I know where that is, I pass the sign up every time I do to my mom's in Lafayette....lol

qsuzi1
06-21-2012, 06:47 PM
A key component is a very knowledgeable coach because there will be some side effects. Many people experience very few or they are mild and they can be resolved some easily. However, please know that there are a few who have several side effects, and some can be severe. Also really think about 4 cups of vegetables every day over a long period. There are many resources, including this site, with some great veggie and IP recipes. Another key thing is to know you can have a 4th packet which is sometimes needed if you experience dizziness or weakness. Some individuals are also carb sensitive and need to make adjustments to the diet selections so they are not stalled or have minimal weight loss. IP or any diet is not for everyone even when you are faithfully following the regimen. Another diet may be better for you. Lastly, don't be discouraged when you don't achieve a 3-7 lb weight loss weekly. Age, medication, health issues, etc. may result in a 1-2 lb weekly loss. Like any diet you can plateau, have weeks with very small or no weight loss, etc.

MiamiCajun
06-21-2012, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=aimeed3;4379209]
I was wondering, for someone who has not officially joined IP yet, what would you tell me about it? What kind of success have you had?

QUOTE]

Aimee! You'll love this! I just finished my first week and I was already prepared with my Walden Farm dressings as well as salad, natural sea salt, extra virgin olive oil and allowed veggies. I didn't feel bad the first few days but on the 5th I was dragging. I just found out i lost 13 pounds and I totally contribute it to all the water I was drinking! The more the better. Best wishes in your journey!

JellyMae87
06-21-2012, 08:48 PM
I think that the best thing to keep in mind is that this is what you want... We all "want" to be skinny, but we wont get there with the way you currently eat!!

usmcvet
06-22-2012, 12:50 AM
I saw a buddy who lost 55 pounds on IP. He looked great. I went to a the IP presentation the same night and joined the next day. I started IP 12 weeks ago today and 93.2 pounds ago. Go to the talk and check it out. Besides Marine Corps boot camp it is the only plan I've had any real success with. It works very well if you follow the plan. I have 250 pounds I want to loose and about 156 left to go.

aimeed3
06-22-2012, 09:37 AM
WOW!! You all are doing so good!! Congrats to everyone on your weight loss. Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.

I am like a kid on Christmas Eve. I cannot wait till 10AM tomorrow.

I am a little confused about the "packets". Everyone keeps talking about them and I have no idea what they are.

Hope everyone is having a great day so far.

greeniris
06-22-2012, 09:55 AM
The 'packets' are how the IP food is sold. Mix with water in a shaker and prepare according to directions or recipes found in various threads here. Try them all and determine which are for you. Even ones you don't like by itself may take on a new life when made into some of the recipes for it. Don't be afraid to experiment!

Good luck to you, and we all look forward to hearing about your future successes!

aimeed3
06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
So you basically drink your food??

evepet
06-22-2012, 11:20 AM
So you basically drink your food??

No, not at all. The various food items are just pre-packaged into individual packets.

We also must eat 2 cups of vegetables with both lunch and dinner. And dinner is 'normal' protein - beef/fish/fowl/etc. - 6-8 ounces.

Here's the Ideal Protein website - you can see for yourself that there are lots of product 'packets' that you will be able to choose from.

http://www.idealprotein.com/us/home

bttrhalf
06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
hello all I'm brand new to IP just started this morning, signed on last night. a bit scared and excited all at once. a bit confused on what i can eat when, I had the wildberry yogurt drink this morning and lots of water. wish me luck have a way to go

cscape
06-22-2012, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=aimeed3;4379209]

QUOTE]

Aimee! You'll love this! I just finished my first week and I was already prepared with my Walden Farm dressings as well as salad, natural sea salt, extra virgin olive oil and allowed veggies. I didn't feel bad the first few days but on the 5th I was dragging. I just found out i lost 13 pounds and I totally contribute it to all the water I was drinking! The more the better. Best wishes in your journey!

13 pounds!!! That is awesome.:dizzy: I am jealous! Today was my wk 1 WI and I lost 6 lbs. How do you like the Walden dressings. Our coach advised staying away from them as the artificial sweeteners still stimulate the pancreas

joysh
06-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi everyone,

Aimee :)

Hi Aimee! This is my ninth day. I lost 7.8 pounds the first week. I've got 70 pounds that I want to lose - need to lose - and I really like the foods. There is a variety, and they're pretty good.

I also read these forums the week before I started. There are some amazing people who have stayed committed, lost weight, and are a great support to one another. We're all on this journey!

Enjoy your introduction to IP tomorrow and welcome to the group! :wave:

wuv2bloved
06-23-2012, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=MiamiCajun;4379441]

13 pounds!!! That is awesome.:dizzy: I am jealous! Today was my wk 1 WI and I lost 6 lbs. How do you like the Walden dressings. Our coach advised staying away from them as the artificial sweeteners still stimulate the pancreas

Its SOOOOO crazy at the differences in coaches!!....my coach SELLS the WF stuff and encourages us to use it. Everything we eat either has sugar or an artificial sweetner in it just some of us are more prone to it than others. A lot of coaches say stay away from MIO, mine says go for it, some say NO GUM....mine says....if it helps you stay OP then go for it just make sure its sugar free. We all have to do what it takes for us to stay OP and if it takes me using a little WF dressings, chewing a piece or 2 of gum and having MIO in my water....by all means I am doing it and have been doing it for the last 15 months AND I will continue to do so until I reach my goal.

GrandmaKiss
06-23-2012, 03:05 AM
[Its SOOOOO crazy at the differences in coaches!!....my coach SELLS the WF stuff and encourages us to use it. Everything we eat either has sugar or an artificial sweetner in it just some of us are more prone to it than others. A lot of coaches say stay away from MIO, mine says go for it, some say NO GUM....mine says....if it helps you stay OP then go for it just make sure its sugar free.

I've noticed that too in these boards. It seems that IP literature is probably the same for all the coaches, but each seems to want to add or subtract from the IP plan.

Mine says no gum, no aspartame or sucralose, but splenda is OK. Which is strange because Splenda IS sucralose. I tend to take what my coach says with a grain or two of salt (sea, of course), and stick to IP literature.

Ellielou
06-23-2012, 08:21 PM
I lost quickly in the first few days, - 5 pounds, and on days 4 and 5 I felt pretty wiped out, then got a huge burst of energy. Then things seemed to stall. I may not understand exactly how to eat the four cups of vegetables. I usually have salad or steamed vegetable, but sometimes I've used the tsp. Pf oil to do a little sautee. I feel and look thinner, everyone says so, but the weight is not coming off. The scale is stuck. I had one cheat on our 32 nd wedding anniversary in my week 2. I also am Pretty 'irregular' since starting this, so I was told to try magnesium citrate. I he things accelerate.:?:

wuv2bloved
06-24-2012, 12:39 AM
I lost quickly in the first few days, - 5 pounds, and on days 4 and 5 I felt pretty wiped out, then got a huge burst of energy. Then things seemed to stall. I may not understand exactly how to eat the four cups of vegetables. I usually have salad or steamed vegetable, but sometimes I've used the tsp. Pf oil to do a little sautee. I feel and look thinner, everyone says so, but the weight is not coming off. The scale is stuck. I had one cheat on our 32 nd wedding anniversary in my week 2. I also am Pretty 'irregular' since starting this, so I was told to try magnesium citrate. I he things accelerate.:?:

What don't you understand about the 4 cups of veggies? Just so you get 4 cups in a day you are good. You can eat them whenever, its recommended that we eat them with lunch and dinner BUT if you need to separate them that is fine. Salad (lettuce) is unlimited so that does NOT count toward your veggies, just want to be clear about that. If you are having "Irregular" issues that will have something to do with it as well. Just hang in there, sounds like you are losing inches vs weight which is just as good :)

patns
06-24-2012, 01:06 AM

How long have you been on IP?

explore
06-24-2012, 07:20 AM
This is the only diet that has ever worked for me. It is the only diet that I can easily stick to. I can continue to be social and stay on the diet. I have hypothyroidism, and gained about 20 pounds 20 years ago when I was diagnosed. Since then, I have tried everything to lose the weight but all other diets failed me. I was not able to stick to a diet for more than a week. I was addicted to carbs and sugar, and I would regularly eat ice cream and chips for dinner. Ideal Protein has saved me. I'm almost 7 weeks in, and stayed OP 100% without a thought of cheating. I have lost 8 pounds which is a miracle for my body. I haven't been this weight in over 20 years. I am thrilled with the life style changes. Giving up wine was the hardest part, but I don't even think about what I can't have now. I look forward to what I can have. I can go on and on about how great this program is....It also helps that I love the IP food.

Ellielou
06-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Ten days. Used the Mg Citrate. Powerful, so staying close to home. I'm determined for this to work because I have felt so much better without all the carbs, sugar and alcohol and sleep a bot better. I do exercise and hope I don't have to stop. I am only 5'2" so at 182 now, I still have a lot of weight to lose. I lost 18 the slow way and it took me more than a year of WW and exercise programs and trainers, but I was a major cheater. I have not really cheated on this one.

Ellielou
06-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I think I have not used 4 full cups of veggies in addition to
Lettuce. That was not clear with my coach. :dizzy:

Perhaps this will help. I'm also looking for good ways to prepare those vegetables besides just steaming. Sauté could add fat calories.

wuv2bloved
06-24-2012, 12:16 PM

Perhaps this will help. I'm also looking for good ways to prepare those vegetables besides just steaming. Sauté could add fat calories.

Are you not writing everything down in your journal for your coach to review weekly? This is very important, write EVERYTHING and the amounts you eat in your journal so that she/he can review it to see where there may be a problem. Look at the recipe threads in the sticky's there are a ton of recipes there.

SkimmerRabbit
06-24-2012, 01:59 PM

You can saute! Remember you are supposed to have olive oil so use the recommended amount as your saute oil. I made the most delicious fish last night with a little olive oil, garlic and spices. Yummy. Use a non-stick pan and then you don't need much oil and can even use a flavored cooking spray instead. I have been prepping my veggies for several days in advance and put them in zip lock bags. Then I can grab whatever I want. Right now I am on a salad kick w/oil & vinegar dressing so it's really easy to get in the 4 cups of veggies with unlimited lettuce. Don't forget the salt either!

Hockeymom40
06-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi EllieLou,

Our stats are similar so I just want you to see how my losses have been. I do not lose a lot each week but over time it adds up. There are lots of ideas for the veggies in the recipe threads in the stickies which are on the 1st page of this forum. Also there is a Facebook page with Ideal Protein recipes. Just search for it. Keep reading the daily chat there are always ideas and the "what are you eatingt today thread" gives you ideas too.

Trish

Ellielou
06-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Thank you HockeyMom! It's so good to see someone in a similar "zone" and making the steady progress you have. I had a .6 loss in the last day or two, but I had actually gone up after the anniversary champagne and nibble of carrot cake. I guess we all need to redefine cheating.

My daughter is getting married on July 14th and I feel that any little loss before this will help my confidence.

I had a fitting for an outfit being made for me, and I admit it seemed a bit like a tent, but I didn't feel as bad getting into it as I was feeling a month ago before I decided to start this.

I need to search for recipes. I admit to not loving the packets, but a few of them are growing on me. I'll get to that sticky today.

I'm very grateful for your response. It helps me a lot. :hug:

Ellielou

Ellielou
06-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Are you not writing everything down in your journal for your coach to review weekly? This is very important, write EVERYTHING and the amounts you eat in your journal so that she/he can review it to see where there may be a problem. Look at the recipe threads in the sticky's there are a ton of recipes there.

I began making great saute's and had an extra shake when I was very hungry. I managed to drop down a pound again as of this morning. :carrot:

Now I just need to figure out how to get my weight ticker into my posts!:dizzy:

Thank you all for your support. I am so looking forward to my daughter's wedding. I was fitted Sunday for an outfit a dressmaker is making for me and it did seem a bit "tent-like," not what I was hoping to have for my girl's big day, but I'm still 19 pounds less than I was a year ago, and that's great.

With diligence and watching this site for good ideas and support, I may make it to 25 (or more) before July 14.

Ellielou

aimeed3
06-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi Ellielou,

From what I've been reading, in order to get the weight ticker you have to have been here for 20 days AND have made 20 posts. HTH!

YAY for another lb this morning.

Ellielou
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
:carrot: I am doing so much better. Whatever was stuck, is for now, at least, unstuck. I have lost a total of 10.4 pounds over three weeks. I feel great and motivated to keep going. Only Eleven days until my daughter's wedding. I had to have the outfit I had made taken in! :carrot::carrot::carrot: