Dieting with Obstacles - Getting Back on Track with Adrenal Fatigue

lola06
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
I lost 100lbs back in 2006, managed to keep it off for a couple of years and regained the weight after a series of injuries that left me unable to keep up with my routine. Now that I've recuperated from those injuries, I have been struggling with my energy levels for about a year and a half and I recently found out I have adrenal fatigue. I'm struggling to figure out how to get my energy levels up so that I can cook and do all of the things I did before to lose weight. I also have a small business and a full-time job, so my schedule is a lot more packed than it used to be but I can still make time for taking care of myself if I could just get my energy up.

I'm also struggling to figure out which plan to follow. When I lost weight the first time I didn't count calories or carbs I just cut out the processed food, cooked all of my meals and eventually became a vegan mainly to deal with really bad menstrual cramps. I think my mistake this time around is taking in too much information about dieting and weight loss. Although I've struggled with my weight for most of my life I never really dieted until I lost weight back in 2006. I've been trying all sorts of diets but I can't quite stick with anything.

I feel like I'm all over the place but I would love any tips on how to increase my energy levels so I can get back on track.

Violet73
06-21-2012, 03:38 PM
I know how you feel! Both on adrenal fatigue AND dieting. I think the diet you followed before is best with adrenal fatigue. I already follow a gluten free diet and limited dairy. I'm considering going vegan or at least vegetarian with fish and chicken. I think beef and pork are really bad for inflammation and fatigue.

I haven't been officially diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, but I have so many of the symptoms and tested positive for the flashlight test. I feel like a truck has ran over me in the afternoons. I started taking vitamin C with meals and I can tell it's helping! I've cut wayyyy back on caffeine from 3 cups of coffee a day to just a half a cup. I'm hoping to completely do away with it soon.

I think the key is real foods for nutrition and still watch those calories and carbs. Also, no sugar or white foods. This is the approach I'm trying now.

lola06
06-21-2012, 04:04 PM
It's good to know that other people have experienced this. I was following the Paleo diet for a while but the red meat was making my menstrual cramps worse, so I had to cut back on that. I'm taking Vitamin D but I think I may try adding in Vitamin C, thanks for the tip!

Violet73
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
You're welcome! Let's come here and chat about this and help each other out ok?

Regarding vitamin C, everything I read said to take up to 2000 mg a day, that you can take as much as you want because the body won't use more than it needs. If you have diarrhea, then decrease it. I've been taking 1000 mg a day and may increase it. I'm also on vitamin D cause my level was low.

Were you diagnosed by a doctor with this? What did they recommend?

I've also been told to increase my salt intake. I bought some sea salt and I'm adding that to lots of things, but should probably have more.

lola06
06-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Yes, diagnosed by a doctor. I was basically told to cut the sugar, lose weight, exercise, cut stress and rest. I was also told to take Vitamin D3, which I do.

Yes, I'll check in to see how things are going.