Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/-/145

Height: 5'3

Arrow For Those Who Exercise At Home..

Hello everyone! I'm curious to hear the different ways everyone exercises at home, and has actually seen weight loss from it. So.. let's hear 'em
Belkis2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #2  

I have a homemade tread desk (Google it), and I do a lot of work from home on the computer, so that is the majority of my exercise. Two or three days a week, I take classes at my gym, too, but most of my exercise is walking on my treadmill while I work. It sounds corny, but my tread desk has changed my life. I feel as if this is something I could do for the rest of my life because, being a multitasker, I love the idea of getting something done while I'm exercising. I definitely believe the reason I lost weight faster than I thought I would is because I walked 6 miles, 4-6 days a week.

Last edited by lin43; 06-20-2012 at 01:40 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #3  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I have lots of home exercise equipment: an ancient home gym (a weight stack with a bench, pullies, bars, etc.), a recumbent bike, a rowing machine and a mini-stepper. The recumbent bike was a life-changer for me - I love it! It's comfortable and quiet, so I can peddle while I watch TV.

I have a small house, so the gym is in my bedroom and the other stuff is in my living room. The bike is a bit intrusive but I don't care. I really enjoy the convenience of exercising at home, whenever I want.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #4  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

I lost the first few dress sizes by workout out at home w/ 5 lbs weights, a mat and Jillian Michaels videos as well as Biggest loser videos, Jane Fonda, Jackie Warner, Denise Austin videos and Cathy Smith videos - I am addicted to workout dvd's now!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/114

Height: 5'3"

i have a yoga mat & a stability ball so that helps with some strength & core workouts. also, i do workout dvds like insanity where all you need is your own body weight (: i have 30-day shred too so you just need hand weights for those. theres lots of exercises that you can do just using your own bodyweight, so i try to do those if i don't feel like going to the gym.
delyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #6  
Too stubborn to quit.

S/C/G: 305/300/200

Height: 6'

I use my son as a weight if I'm doing any sort of lifting that I can incorporate him into. He thinks it's fun, and his 43 lb, 5 year-old self is definitely a big help. Like leg lifts, for instance. He also piggybacks while I do lunges. Try 3 reps of 10 with a heavy little monkey on your back. Whew.

Other than that, it's mostly just walking outside, playing soccer with him, swimming, etc.
InkPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #7  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I've exercised to DVD's at home for about 6 years now. I have a lot of weights and equipment as well as a Treadmill {which I don't use often}. I exercise in my living room so I try to hide as much out of sight as I can while still being available on a regular basis. I much prefer weight work to cardio. I use Leslie Sansone's dvds for cardio while using mostly Cathe Friedrich, Kelly Coffey-Meyers, and Margaret Richard for weights. I only have 5x8 space with a ceiling fan right overhead {got to be careful with overhead moves}, but I feel I can do a lot in that space.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #8  
Warrior Princess

5p hand weights, Jillian Michaels DVDs, and low cal diet.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have a fairly significant collection of equipment, which I've slowly accumulated over the past 6 years or so.

-Incline trainer/treadmill - Amazing! Goes up to a 30% incline so I can hill-hike, or up to 10mph to run.
-3, 5, 10, and 15 lb dumbbells
-Resistance tubes of varying strengths
-Large swiss ball
-Small playground ball
-20 lb kettlebell
-Pullup Bar
-Yoga mat
-Balance pods (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...leBase:2128381)
-Assorted DVDs (yoga, weight training, cardio)
-Wii with Wii Fit, Cardio Boxing, and Dance games
-Heart rate monitor
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I prefer exercising at home. I've got a treadmill and elliptical trainer, an exercise ball, a yoga mat, a chin up stand, foam rollers (for stretching), the Bowflex Selectech dumb bells, and many videos to follow including Ripped in 30, P90X, and Insanity.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I have a mountain bike and a quiet neighborhood, and Wii Fit (rarely use). Oh yeah, and one 10lb dumbbell. lol
But seriously, I love the bike. All it takes is that and my ipod and I can do 5 laps around my neighborhood in just under a half hour. (So far...)

The tread desk looks amazing! I used to have a treadmill but my parents sold it I'd love to have one of those.

Last edited by McMurphy; 06-22-2012 at 07:20 PM.
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #12  
Token Vulcan

I've tried various at-home things throughout the years and I find, for me, I've gotten better results from the videos/DVDs and the smaller equipment, mainly because they've held my interest more. Every large piece of exercise equipment I ever owned (elliptical, Jake's total body trainer, inflatable punching bag, probably a couple of others I've forgotten) has ended up in the garbage because of my eventual lack of enthusiasm (i.e.laziness). I've learned (somewhat expensively) that I do better following a tape or DVD rather than improvising or guessing how long, how much, etc. It's more interesting, I feel more pushed, I have more of an incentive, and I can see how I'm supposed to be moving. Plus, I'm able to use hand or wrist weights, resistance bands and kettlebells.

I had to deal with both an illness and injury both sustained about 3 years ago that have had longterm effects so I've only recently started exercising again. I've loved Leslie Sansone's DVDs...they get my heart pumping and my body sweating with low impact. And I bought a Wii Fit Plus a week ago and am enjoying the different exercises on it. I like that it's interactive, it tracks my progress, gives me routines and goals to work with. And it's fun.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 06-24-2012 at 11:14 AM.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I have a treadmill that I walk and run on, and I have a couple Jillian Michaels DVDs (30-Day Shred and Yoga Meltdown).

"Diet for weight loss. Exercise for fitness." --JohnP
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #14  
America's Sweetheart

I have been using a stationary bicycle everyday and its easy to do while I read or whatever and it apparently burns quite a few calories so that is good. I have am exercise ball that I use for core training and a set of 5 lb weights. I also just started "hip hop abs" today, I am not sure I feel it quite in my abs yet but I do know its a good cardio workout. I would like to get a treadmill in the future just to add something else to my work out so that I dont get bored.
Venusenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #15  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I do about 20% of my workouts from home.

I have a treadmill and listen to tunes. I have a home aerobic step and DVDs, but my kids get in the way. LOL I do like hand weights in front of the TV at night, or hitting up my hubby's bigger weight in our garage.

But my absolute favorite is riding my bike around the neighborhood! I run, too, but cycling has become a passion b/c it doesn't aggravate my hips or knees and I love zipping around and being able to see more than when I just run.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote