General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Am I crazy? Whey is delicious!

So, working at booster juice we sometimes are required to taste a sample of the smoothies we make to check quality. I try to keep this to a minimum (1-2 shot glass sized servings a day) but I've found myself really enjoying all of the smoothies with whey in them!

Is whey tasty in and of itself? Could I make "whey cookies"? Seems like a tidy way to get more protein in snacks.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

i dont find unflavoured whey to taste good at all...it just tastes chalky and like nothing.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Whey is delicious... in smoothies. You might be able to add it into a cookie recipe, but not as a main ingredient.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #4  

I think it tastes good due to all the chemical sweeteners and additives
beccawhite90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I buy plain whey powder (no additives or sweeteners - just the dried whey) from a local cheesemaker.

I find the flavor very bland, so bland that it can go into a lot of foods without there being a noticeable change in flavor. It does change the texture and mouthfeel though, especially if it's not well blended.

My one experience with making cookies was with a flavored/sweetened whey protein powder (I still have quite a bit of sweetened vanilla PureProtein, I'm trying to find uses for), using a recipe I found online. They were pretty horrible. The flavor was good, but they were so dry and dense, even milk didn't really help them go down.

I've had much nore success with the unflavored whey, but it's still not something I'd ever think of eating/drinking without other ingredients.

I do make a really good cheesecake substitute

1 small package sugar free pudding (any flavor)
1 pint plain yogurt or greek yogurt
1 or more heaping tablespoon of whey protein to thicken to desired consistency
(regular yogurt will usually require more whey than greek yogurt)

Stir pudding into yogurt (you may want to use beaters or a blender if you're using a thinner yogurt - but with greek yogurt, it stirs in with a spoon very nicely), add whey to thicken.

You may want to add more sweetener if desired. I've found that with some pudding flavors, I want a little extra sweetener, and with some I do not.

I also use whey powder (and/or xanthan gum) to thicken sauces when I want to make a low-carb sauce or gravy.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I would say it's the added sugar and flavors they're using in the whey protein that makes it taste good. Even the most "healthy" versions of protein shakes usually have one or more sweeteners and some sort of flavoring.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #7  

im with porthardy whey is disgusting i cant stand it but i love the health and weight benefits so i buy capsules and take 12g every morning which i guess is =to 1/2 a shake.
cancersuckseggs is offline   Reply With Quote