Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #16  
helpingrachel

Completed Closet one, organized all pillows and blankets. Sheets in one place.
Completed Closet two, organized all extra kitchen utensils in top of closet, have a full garbage bag of clothes ready for goodwill.
3/4 the way done with Closet 3#...stopping to sit and read in the sun, since it is going to hit 90 by 4pm. Will head back to it then.

Started simple.....basement is the clutter cemetery and will take me months. Will be thinking how I can chunk it out to do a little a day/week.

Last edited by helping rachel; 06-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #17  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile more de-clutterers! welcome!

A hearty to billblueyes and a big to helping rachel

It's great you've decided to join us. We are all off to such a great start. Hooray. This cleaning up/sorting/tossing/deciding and changing our ways stuff is hard to do, so *credits* to all of us for moving into the messes of our lives.

Lexxiss I'd have a hard time tossing the nutgrinder attachment myself, mostly cause I've never seen one for a mixer. I grew up with a nutgrinder that my grandmother attached to the table to grind walnuts and (maybe?) poppyseeds for special Hungarian-once-a-year-at-xmas baked goods--so perhaps this warm fuzziness clouds my projection onto your nut grinder attachment! You can see why I have a tough time with Things. But, if you have not used it in 20 years get rid of it. I actually would drop it off at the thrift/sally ann. They will know if it's a keeper or a tosser. I'd put it in a box and pass it on and let them decide. (The salad shredder I'd have no trouble tossing btw. Sounds like vegetable carnage to me.)

helping rachel wow way to go with the closets! Basements. I swear they are all like that. When we were moving last year I really broke it into small bits. And if it wasn't small bits I'd set a timer and walk away when it went off. I felt no guilt because I had a plan. I always, and still do, make a written list that I give myself big checkmarks on. I need all the encouragement can get.

billblueeyes Paper. It's real trouble. I am like a squirrel keeping all kinds of things: menus, flyers, art event postcards (a weakness for sure), magazines, papers to be read that are older than a week, a month, or a year, or from vacations long past, plus unopened mail (I do that a lot), stuff that I know I need to throw away but just haven't yet. That's the bulk of the clutter around the coffee table/picture window wall that I have not de-cluttered yet. It's next but I really need a system. Flylady says DO NOT WAIT deal with the paper/mail that day and in one designated space only. I think DO NOT WAIT is the key here, similar to Beck's get right back on track. *credit* for your paper-work.

gardenerjoy how's the cubby project faring?

I went to the farmers' market this morning with a stream-lined set-up. I have decided to simplify what I bring with me and even though I brought more artwork, and by taking the time to think it through and not rush so much and pack things carefully the night before, the whole booth looked better and my therefore my presence at the market was enhanced. My sales weren't all that but it's ok. It's a marathon not a sprint. I am pleased with what I am doing there.

In terms of de-cluttering, my only goal today is to put away the stuff I have packed in the car before I go to bed tonight. I found more space in the hallway against a wall to lean my market paintings for the week so this is good. The other things already have a home they just need to be brought in. I bought a floor mat for the cat food dishes today. I *credit* clean up after Their Highnesses every night now and they both push their wet food off the plate onto the floor. Neither cat has a good set of chompers so this isn't likely to change. After I cleaned the kitchen I realized this would help keep it clean. I also need a mat by the back door and a mat by the stove, maybe even something small to stand on to do those dishes. *major credit* to my DH last night who, after I mentioned I couldn't go to bed without having the sink empty, took it upon himself to make it so. Now that is real suport. He is happy I am doing this. Me too. I'm not even about it anymore! *credit moi*

Until tomorrow...
Old 06-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #18  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Lexxiss: It sounds like you really answered your own question. That's going to motivate me to throw away the attachments to the food processor that I haven't used -- and for even longer.

BillBlueEyes: two stacks down to one is definitely decluttering progress!

Welcome, helping_rachel! Great start on those closets!

onebyone: cool that you're seeing a benefit to a stream-lined market set-up. Good plan to get stuff in from the car on the day of the market.

I cleaned up three of the cubby holes today. I also made a map of what I want to end up with in each cubby hole. That's going to make it easier for me to clean and organize at the same time.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #19  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

BBE and helpingrachel! As our group grows we have new ideas and support for achieving our personal goals for decluttering, which for me has a direct correlation to my relationship with healthy food habits.

I have realized a major success this morning! On my "basement list" was ~finish old canning jars. Some of you may remember that I started emptying and reclaiming over 300 (full) canning jars left when my grandmother passed away in 1976 I was a teen, away at college, and it was a responsibility my mother never addressed. I could have thrown them all in the landfill but I chose to reclaim my GM's jars. I had 6 in the basement which I couldn't get open and several days ago I decided to bring them up one by one. I have the last one sitting upside down in water waiting for the rusted lid to let loose and I am done, (at least until I go back up to the cave and see if anymore are left).

I spent the morning reclaiming my kitchen...cleaning and putting stuff away. It looks fantastic!
~I had an idea several weeks ago of putting the dehydrator on the counter for drying greens but I'm not using it now so I put it back in the cupboard.
~I had a cotton wad from a pill bottle which had been sitting there for months....either take it upstairs to the bathroom or get rid of it. It's moved upstairs.
~I was going to move a few olives from a big jar to a smaller one...upon looking they looked icky so I pitched them...
AND
~sent the jar to recycle (I don't need to save every jar)
~I'm going (RIGHT NOW) to thin out the spice cupboard. There are things I just don't use any more.

And, related, I bought 3 nice plants at the greenhouse Friday. The only bed that gets watered all the time has several hollyhocks that I will dig out. I have hundreds in my yard and I don't need to save everyone. When I get rid of something I have plenty of I make room for something I now feel I'll enjoy more.

BBE, yay for moving that paperwork!

helpingrachel, you're off to a great start! As you progress, you'll come up with a plan for the basement....one item at a time, if necessary.

gardenerjoy, yay for moving ahead with your cubby!

onebyone, kudos for the solid steps you are taking to "maintain" your new space as you forge ahead!

Emotion: excited for change
Food: planned and on track

ETA-onebyone, I have an old fashioned grinder, which was my grandmothers. I use it mainly for chokecherries. I also have a beloved Cuisinart on my kitchen counter which processes nuts for me in a very satisfying manner. In order to "use" this nut grinder, I have to pull the mixer apart and it attaches to the hand part....however, in writing this, I recognize that it is a handy little gadget for spices AND I do have space right next to the mixer. I will keep the nut attachment but get rid of the rest TODAY

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-24-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #20  
helpingrachel

Good Morning, De-cluttering, Organizing Friends.

I have a basic question to help me with time management. How do you reply to everyone to be able to see what they wrote without having to scroll up and then back over and over. Any short cut tips. I am not on a forum very often but want to get into the groove of connecting and being accountable as I join each of you becoming competent in the area of Organizing. Thanks for any tips.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #21  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by helping rachel View Post
How do you reply to everyone to be able to see what they wrote without having to scroll up and then back over and over.
It works for me to select [Post Reply] into another window. Then I quickly swap back and forth between the two windows using [CNTL]-[Tab].
Old 06-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #22  
helpingrachel

Thanks billblueyes! I don't why I didn't think of this.....basic I know.

OneononeSounds like you have a good plan with the Farmer's market. I like your comment that it is a marathon not a sprint. Daily progress. I also like how you organized your first posts with a plan. I will borrow you plan and work on one for my own today. Will post it later tonight, no later than Monday am.

Lexxiss I love your insight on "Owning my Space" Taking the control back so you decide what it will be like. This made me think of being mindful of what is going in my body and what I am doing to exercise which does release stress. I also like your mantra. One step at a time, One item at a time.

I value everything has a home and like it when rooms are functional and decluttered. Gives me a sense of peace. I then take all the excess to the basement ......YIKKKES how long have I been doing that!! Will be taking committed action toward my goal of room by room, one project at a time.

Gardenerjoy I had to laugh at your first post of simply unpacking your trip suitcases. The reason is this....I went to KC last weekend with girlfriends home on Sunday. My husband flew to Japan and was home Friday and unpacked his suitcase and had all things put away and I was still tripping over my suitcase from the week before. Procrastination will get me every time.

I am grateful for like-minded -de-cluttering - organizing-becksters. Like my weight loss journey, it helps to have accountability and a place to write down daily movements toward my goals in this area.

Last edited by helping rachel; 06-24-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

I checked off two more cubbies today.

Lexxiss: you're making terrific progress in both the basement and the kitchen. Cool how one thing sort of leads to another.

helping_rachel: I use Notepad on my computer in a smaller window so I can have it on top while I type. Then I cut and paste the text into the posting window and apply any formatting.
Did you have fun in KC? We had a great trip there in March.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #24  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

I got rid of a huge stack of cardboard packing boxes from our basement. It felt like a big deal, even though we were keeping them just waiting for a person in need to show up. They did, so I take credit.

Each space freed feels like a gift.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #25  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi everyone!

I spent my morning in "maintenance". It's really important for me to continue to maintain those freed up spaces on a daily or at least semi-daily basis.

I started upstairs and put away laundry AND sorted through all the mail. Keeper stuff is filed and everything else went to recycle. I am so busy right now that there is NOTHING I need to save for later. I can find anything I need on the internet.

BBL...great job everyone!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #26  
helpingrachel

Working on de-cluttering in the present areas. A/C went out at 7pm last night and slept in 90 degree heat. Will be grateful for A/C hopefully by mid-morning. It is hot and humid.

Plan this week:
Clean Frig. and freezer organize food zones, veggies and fruit ect..

Call for quote to fix DH's mother hope chest. Take picture and email.
Make a list of returns to go out of house for errands on Friday.

Clean off Dining room table. Full of art supplies, glue sticks, magazines, several art projects. Will put away to original home in office.

Clean and organize Front living room, full of weekly files on class projects. Will organize the research books and place information in their labeled files and homes.

Purge my spice rack and pantry. This is done once a year. I need to think of what I want it to look like when done, before I start. I tend to throw more out if this happens.

Trip to Goodwill with one 5 lb bag of cloths.Done

Last edited by helping rachel; 06-25-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #27  
Green Tomatoes

I proudly recycled a complete run of Consumer Reports from 1999 to 2006 in the process of cleaning out two more cubbies today.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #28  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Default Progress not perfection

to all our declutterers/organizers!

I made headway in the basement and also took a detour to our front porch. Today is trash/recycle day.
~4 or 5 cardboard boxes came from the basement, one big enough to hold this weeks recycle.
~sisters junk clothing in trash
~veggie unit and dysfunctional VHS tapes in the trash
~old worm bin up the stairs waiting for daylight...destination trash(no recycle option)
~the final canning jar lid will not come off so I will reluctantly put it in the trash. I did the best I could.

I moved to our front porch, a space "holding space" for junk from my moms house. Several items need to go to the landfill so I moved them under the big spruce tree until I have a day off. Once everything was off the porch I hosed down all the accumulated dust/spider webs and moved our chairs and table to their original spot.

None of this took much time, just the willingness to move ahead. Credit for willingness today.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #29  
helpingrachel

Credit to you ladies for moving out the things that don't serve a purpose or function anymore in your homes.

Off to tackle the Front living Room. I will do the "act" first and then step in the value of having a clean and organized space for later this day.

Started a new 5lb trash can for donation and one for Goodwill. Goal to lose 10lbs of clutter by Friday.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #30  
GlenwoodHotSprings

helping rachel, I love your idea of losing 10 pounds of clutter! Best wishes today as you work at your goal!

After I posted, I went through my spice cabinets and merged and purged. Some stuff was no longer useful and I found other items I could consolidate. credit. My final act this morning was to haul a gigantic antique paned window down to the curb and put a free sign on it. The antique dealer wants it but never picks it up. Perhaps if I call and tell her it's going to go to the first taker she will finally complete her task.

Off to work....

ETA-The window was gone when I got home from work. My inner voice said, "it must have been valuable. I should have kept it and tried to sell it". Reality says it wouldn't even fit in my car and it had sat on the porch for two years. There is always another one. The absolute truth of the matter is that there are 3 of them in my DH's shop that are the same only bigger! It was ok to part with this one.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-26-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Closed Thread