General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Kitty shopping woes

So my fiance and I miss the company of a furry child (we both had pets in our parental homes) and we've been tossing around the idea of getting a cat after we're married (so, in about 2 years).

We have our heart set on a Bengal cat, not simply for their looks but because their unique personality seems like a nice middle ground between a dog and a cat (you can teach it tricks, it likes walks and will greet you at the door, they get pretty big and athletic, they love children and get along with dogs). They're expensive but I come from a wealthy family and buying purebred pets has always been part of the pet owning process. The fiance loves the idea and loves the cat breed but the problem is his nosy, jealous twin brother who criticizes EVERYTHING we do ("you want to get married? that's a waste of money. If you really loved each other you wouldn't need a big party to prove it" "you're saving all your money for traveling instead of buying consumer items? that's stupid, look at my new widescreen computer monitor" "I hate it when couples hold hands or kiss in public, it's gross and unnecessary") He tries to put down his brother, my fiance, any chance he gets (he's insecure because he's still working the same job he did after high school and has made zero effort to better himself or his situation and has never had a girlfriend and my fiance is the first in his family to graduate university and the family makes a big fuss about it and our upcoming wedding).

Anyway, family drama aside, he's berating my fiance for wanting to buy an expensive what he calls "designer cat just to show off to people and show you've got money" instead of going to a cat rescue and picking one up for free like he did. And my fiance, although he KNOWS his brother is bitter, is buying into it. The FIL also thinks the cat is too much money, although he says if we want one we certainly will be able to afford one on two professional salaries and it DOES sound kind of neat.

What do you guys think? The breeder is a nice lady and we've visited her several times, she only breeds her cats once every year or two and there's a waiting list for the kittens and you have to interact with your chosen kitten under supervision before you can take it home just to make sure that you and the cat will match. Also, she has boxers, and we'd love to get a family dog (a boxer since we've both had great experiences with them) once we have some kids, so it's a nice bonus that these kittens get exposed to the very breed of dog we want to get.

Here's a picture of a bengal for those who dont know what one looks like:

http://meow-cats.com/wp-content/uplo...08/bengal2.jpg
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I'm not a cat person, but that is a beautiful bengal! It looks like a tiger!

I think its you and your fiances decision. If thats what you want, I say go for it.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

My friend bought a Bengal, he managed to get a discount on him because he's not show material, his ears are too big. So see what your options are regarding that. Maybe shop around for other breeders, too. My coworker bought a chihuahua from a website and the breeder shipped him here, so maybe that's another option.

To be fair, my friends and I gave our friend the same crap your fiance's brother is dishing out... we all have cats we either found as young kittens or adopted from a shelter/rescue. But you know what, it's wasn't our business if he wanted to spend $700 on a cat. That cat makes him very happy, he is exactly what my friend was looking for in a pet. So nuts to us. And nuts to your future brother in law. It's your money, it's your business, it'll be your cat.

PS: My friend's cat is really cool, lol.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #4  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Personally I am a fan of rescuing animals rather than buying from a breeder. There are just so many homeless pets out there that need homes. For folks looking for a particular breed, there are plenty of purebred pet rescues that could help out a person who wants a specific breed. Of course, that's just me but no one really has the right to tell you what to do with your money.

I have a purebred Norwegian Forest Cat that I got from an animal shelter. He has papers and everything. So for $20 I got a purebred and saved a feline life. That works for me.
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/177/140

Height: 5'6"

It doesn't matter what the brother thinks. Sad, but it sounds like he's jealous. It's not something you or your fiance can make better, change, or stop whatever action you take or choice you make; the brother has to do it on his own. And until he does do something on his own, if not the cat issue, he'll find something else to harp on. It's your life, your money, and your cat. That lady sounds like a great breeder -- having supervised visits before being able to bring a kitty home and spacing the breedings. There are also Bengal rescues, and the cats that come from rescues are just as good as those that come from breeders. Bengals are beautiful and so athletic! Make the choice that makes you happiest!

I have two dogs -- the first from a responsible breeder, the second from a rescue. Each was the right choice for their respective times, and I can't imagine life without either. :-) (Incidentally, my first dog found a lost Bengal kitten one day when he was a puppy. Ever since, he's been in love with cats.)

Last edited by Alegria25; 06-18-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Alegria25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #6  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

I'm a cat person. I have 2 Siamese, but would have a house full of them if that was practical. (ha which will never be)

I've also worked in a shelter and put animals to sleep, so I'm familiar with that side too.

What you really get when buying a specific breed is a 'more than likely chance' of getting a personality and a cat that you like. If you get a cat from the shelter, it's really a shot in the dark into what you will get. That's perfectly fine as well.

As for the dog, be careful what you do there. You don't have kids yet and a dog is just like having a kid. You can't leave a litter box out all day and expect the dog to use it while you're gone. Forget all weekend trips unless you find a place for the dog. I like dogs (have a sheltie) but he will probably be the last dog I have because it's so constraining.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Have you checked to make sure bengal cats are legal in your area. I've heard that they're banned in many areas (so you'ld have to call your local humane society and ask)?

As to what you spend your money on, there will always be people who will criticise. You have to make your decision based on what YOU believe, not what others believe, or what they'll say to you about it.

That being said, I'm very partial to purebreed rescues, especially when someone hasn't had actual experience with the breed they're looking for. I've seen too many people decide they want a particular breed, then buy a kitten or puppy and decide the breed isn't right for them (or the baby-stage isn't right for them).

Personally, I would recommend a breed rescue, but you and your fiance have to be guided by your own consciences not mine or your families'.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Bengals are legal,ocelots and Savannahs are not. That's why we've been visiting this woman, to see the cats as much as we can before we take one home.

As for the dog, we've both had boxers and are aware of the responsibilities. Hence why we're holding off until we're able to provide a more stable environment. My parents have an acreage and we've had 8 dogs during my childhood, dogs I can do with confidence.

Last edited by Katbot24; 06-18-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 110/189/110

Height: 5'4

i love cats :3
i33BabyGirl33i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #10  

I think you should get the cat you want and the **** with whatever anyone thinks. Bengals are absolutely fabulous. They are also social though so why not get a shelter cat as a companion? =) Two cats are wonderful together.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #11  

Height: 5'4.5

I have to say I am way more of a dog person - I have 2 cats bc an irresponsible family member was going to dump them off on craigslist when they had to move and w.e they're ours now. lol, I love them dearly.. but they will be my last cats.

I don't think there is anything showy offy about buying a pet tho.. I am by no means wealthy. i spent $1800 and drove 14 hours to pick up my pet quality great dane puppy from a top notch breeder and I will do it again. Bought me a healthy giant breed dog from health tested parents and an amazing breeder who would take a call from me in the middle of the night for the rest of my dogs life - and if anything ever happened to me, my dog would go back to her - by contract because she takes responsibility for all the lives she creates. So, the price tag means very little to me with a responsible breeder.

I don't know as much about cat breeding but I would say look for similar qualities in breeders. They're much healthier than dogs generally but you still want to buy from someone doing it for the love and betterment of the breed.

All of that said - I've also rescued danes and all my cats have come from rescue. I think both are important and I will do both forever. Have you checked out any bengal cat rescues? I saw a whole litter of the silvery bengals at petsmart last year! couldn't believe it. they were so striking! I would check out both avenues. Nothing wrong with either! Just make sure if you buy it is from a reputable breeder who requires spaying/neutering...it sounds like you are dealing with a good one though.
Harpersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: Current: 252/238/199

Height: 170 cm

I love cats, have a 13-14 year old and also a 1 year old approx who strayed in about 9 months ago. Personally for me, and its just my opinion, its not the money aspect because the years of happiness and relaxation an animal gives is priceless, its just my opinion I would like to try give a rescue cat a second chance at life. Often rescue cats make great pets because they appreciate the second chance. Could you get two cats?lol, or even just talk a walk through the local shelter and if one there catches your eye inquire.

I think its completely your choice, and as you said your BIL is just jealous, get what makes you happy, there is always begrudgers in life!!
irishlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

Get the cat you want. If you're marrying into this family, you're going to have to deal with this guy for the rest of your life...if you let him influence you, he's never going to stop acting like that. Maybe he will continue regardless, but you've got a better shot at getting him to stop if you show him you don't give a hoot what he says.
My mother always says: You can't control how others behave, you can only control how you react to them.
As for the whole breeder vs. shelter thing - yes, it would be ideal to rescue a cat from a shelter. But if you've got your heart set on this breed, and it's a good fit for you and your family and you can't find one at a shelter, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting it from a breeder.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/256.3/160

Height: 5'10"

Honestly, get whatever makes you and your fiancé happy and can afford.

DH wanted a Bengal for the same reasons you stated and I just wanted a cat! I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a cat and we really could afford to when there were more affordable options out there. We do have a Bengal breeder in the area, so maybe some day (they are super neat cats!!).

We ended up getting a cat from a local rescue. Odd thing is, he acts a lot like a Bengal. He is very vocal, very playful, and too smart for own good. He doesn't like water though! Our cat is very dog like. I fact, I'm pretty sure our cat is a dog in disguise and our dog is a cat in diguise!
KatTheAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Well,since I have 2 boxers...I say skip the cat and go straight for the dog But if you just can't yet...I say if you can afford it and want it,go for it.You'll never be able to please everyone,so don't even worry about what others will think of you.You can look into rescues to though...in case you wanted more then one option.I still say the boxer idea is better
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote