Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #1  

Default Weekend woes

HELP!!!

This is my first post by the way so please be nice to me.

I am currently on the Dukan diet which I have had to start again on the attack phase as of today due to the usual weekend cycle.

During the week I have no issue sticking to my diet religiously and exercising almost everyday. I am a regular little power house, the perfect dieter......until Friday.

Then it all goes hideously wrong. The main issue without a doubt - wine. Come Friday evening after a hard week at work I would kill for a glass of wine.......or two, oh to **** with it what harm is a bottle of red on Friday night going to do. Well lots obviously!! I often binge after a few glasses of wine but must say I have been quite good about that really and the alcohol itself is my only real vice, but how can I stop myself going down this road EVERY weekend. I work so hard all week just to destroy it on a Friday night.

I am being to get VERY frustrated with myself. Can someone please give me some motivational tips to get past the Friday night booze fest? I must add that I did not drink at all for several years so why its so hard to give it up again for a while now I have no idea!

Must have forgotten how good it was
ocelot0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Pick a plan that doesn't make you feel like you want to cut loose from Friday night to Sunday night.

If you are having trouble controlling how much you drink (even if it is just on weekends) that's another issue and one you may want to explore with a therapist.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #3  

Er thanks for that......I would hardly say a few glasses of wine on a Friday night means I am quite ready rehab. But thanks for the somewhat severe and sanctimonious judgement of someone you know nothing about.

I was looking for a bit of motivation not a lecture about my lifestyle from a complete stranger.

How rude.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #4  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Seagirl wasn't rude at all. You posted asking for help and tips to get past your obstacle.

I think you're in good shape because you recognize what your triggering situation is - now you just have to decide how you're going to ensure you make different choices next Friday. If you can't stop with one glass of wine right now, then don't have wine in your house. If you know you'll feel drained and stressed after the work week, start planning something else you can do or consume -- build yourself a new wind-down ritual. A hot bath, hot tea, taking a walk -- whatever it is that zens you, make a date with yourself now to do it on Friday. Repeat it a few Fridays in a row, and you'll have a new ritual for yourself - so you don't feel deprived.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/114

Height: 5'3"

do you feel like your diet is really restrictive & that its hard to stick to? but i agree with the above poster in that maybe you could explore different things that will help you wind down instead of wine & or other foods/drinks. like she said, maybe you shouldn't keep wine in your house until you feel like you can control your intake? best of luck!
delyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #6  

Thanks for the responses and I see what you are saying about a ‘plan’. Not having wine in the house won’t work as my other half will open a bottle the minute he comes home from work and I will have to stand and watch him enjoy it (grrrrrrr) and whilst the long soak in the bath would be nice, we have the step children with us this weekend so if I get into the bathroom long enough to go to the loo I will consider myself lucky. I guess I will just have to try and think of something else.

Re the diet itself, well its Dukan so about as restrictive as it gets, no room for manoeuvre or treats at all.

To be honest at the moment, work is highly stressful, home life is equally stressful and top that with a highly restrictive diet by the time Friday comes along I feel like I need a break / something that I actually enjoy, which is why I turn to wine.

Perhaps I am just too stressed out at the minute.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

At the end of the day you're probably not planning on cutting out wine forever, so instead of beating yourself up about this why not try something that doesn't exclude something that you find enjoyable? You work hard all week you deserve to relax and have a drink.

I have a similar issue that when I drink I often end up binging. Not always but often. Alcohol lowers our inhibitions.

I don't follow a restrictive plan though so I can work the drinking in. I don't have any forbidden foods. I roughly calorie count/eat how I feel. I can tell when I've eaten too much etc.. but maybe you could try calorie counting instead? Are you happy with the plan you're doing? Remember that losing weight is a lifestyle change so it has to be something you can live with.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote