100 lb. Club - Regainers Relosing. Get it off AGAIN! - Part 3!

Pages : [1] 2 3

patchworkpenguin
06-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Regainers, here's a place to stick together while we get it off...again! We can do this!

Arctic Mama
06-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Not a regainer anymore, I've since gotten that little bit off and more, but I'm wishing you luck, everyone!

LaurieDawn
06-17-2012, 08:30 PM
I wanted to post this here because y'all have been through my same experience - losing a lot, then gaining. I gained it all back and more, and now have about 120 (or more) to lose.

I lost it all in 2007-2008. Felt great. Looked great. Was super comfortable in my skin.

Gained it all back over a period of two years, and started law school somewhere in there.

I was not content to be this weight (or about 20 pounds thinner, actually - the 20 pounds were in the last year). So, I worked at getting it off again, using the strategies I had used when I was successful, and then would get distracted with a truly crazy schedule. I have 100 excuses, and 100 failures to match up to those excuses.

So, here's the problem.

I have a 2.5 mile path that I love to walk/run near my house. And it's the only path near my house, as I live slightly in the country. I keep getting flashbacks of the last six or seven times in the last few years I successfully lost 10 to 25 pounds, and then stopped and regained. I KNOW the problem was not the food I chose or the exercise paths I took. I have done my best to identify the problems and adjust for them, but every healthy choice I make seems to remind me of the "failures."

Can anyone relate? Anything you've done to get over the mental block? It's not stopping me (yet) from doing what I know intellectually is a good choice designed to support my efforts, but it's getting a little mentally exhausting to continually combat this particular brand of craziness.

patchworkpenguin
06-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Laurie, Those 'negative voices' in our head will get us every time. I read a book called Shrink Yourself which talked about the negative voices in our head and what to do about them. The suggestion was to give the voice a name, realize that this negative voice doesn't have you best interests at heart, and it want to keep you where you are. So when you 'hear' the negative voice reminding you of your failures you can realize that you are on the right path and its trying to 'scare' you off of it, back to the place of failure that you aren't happy with. Basically, its lying to you. Make a list of all the things you are doing right and go over it whenever you hear the negative voices.

Hoped that make some sense. & I would love to have some paths to walk on in our area.

Taryl, thanks for the shout-out!

Mimzzy
06-18-2012, 01:47 AM
I am in this to currently. I managed to get down to 130lbs, somehow I let old habits return. In the last 3-4 months I have basically eaten myself into oblivion and gained back 20lbs. I am now sitting at 150lbs.

I feel like a failure. I was doing so incredibly well and enjoying working out and then BOOM! However I am back on track now and am thankful it was only 20lbs now the entire 50lbs.

So here we go.... again.

ALEKS
06-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Just checking in, been a bit MIA the past week. I'm down 3.5 this week..so close to the 260s!

HealthyMeWannabe
06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm here folks. I has lost 40 pounds a couple of years ago. Got down to 230. Was looking much better and felt healthier. Then I let my motivation go right out the window. Gained back all 40 plus an extra 10. Now my head's back in the game and I am working to lose those 40 pounds plus the rest of my excess weight. I know I can do it!!!! :D

mahtha
06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Good morning everyone! :wave:

Welcome back Penguin, it's nice to see you! Thanks for starting the new thread to keep us all on track.

ALEKS, Congrats on the loss!

HealthyMeWannabe, LaurieDawn, Isis21, Welcome!

Arctic Mama, Thanks for your support.

I had a crazy weekend and ended up well below calories both Saturday and Sunday because life just got in the way. Saturday I helped a friend cater a wedding and a couple of hours turned into 8 and then I needed to be somewhere else so it was 8 pm before I actually ate anything aside from a few bites of fruit and a slice of cheese. Sunday was a graduation cookout and I saved for some splurges but ended up spending less than I thought. Back OP today with carefully planned choices so I can pass the -30 mark by the end of the week.

I hope everyone has a great day!

better health3
06-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Anything you've done to get over the mental block?

I think for all of us the solution is to realize that this is NOW, not back then. Just because we have done X, does not mean we will continue to be doomed to failure. Our strength is in this moment or second. We all need to focus on our inner strength and other assets. Sure, we may have fallen off the horse, but it up to us to choose to get back on and canter to the finish line. I hope to be screaming Wooo Hoo with everyone else.;)

For me, learning moderation is key. This past weekend is the first two days in six weeks that I allowed myself to eat more high caloric food than usual. Right now, I am back on plan. I have to have splurges every once in awhile, otherwise I will not be able to go the distance.

I think what distinguishes the winners of this weight loss game is to decide once and for all that you are worth the hard work, because you deserve to live a full life and not one wearing a fat suit.

patchworkpenguin
06-18-2012, 03:12 PM
I had some trouble getting on 3FC this morning. Hubby and I are going to go see the Avengers movie this afternoon.

LaurieDawn
06-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Penguin, I really LOVE the idea of naming this voice inside my head and externalizing it. I would never say these things to someone else, and I would never be okay with someone saying them to me. Great tip. Thanks so much.

Better Health - I absolutely agree with everything you've said. I love the NOW of this. My kids wanted to go to the park and play kickball after our Father's Day dinner last night. When I'm not working out and eating on plan (especially the eating, for some reason), I have a hard time doing even this slightly active activity. Last night, I was so into it! I will work on embracing the "now."

Did P90X this morning - with significant modification. I HATE having to do the significant modification, but let's face it - none of those people were doing regular push-ups with a 265-pound body! And my arms were burning, and now they're still spaghetti-ish, so I know I got in a good work-out. The lower my body weight goes and the stronger I get, the fewer modifications I'll need, but I won't get where I want to be if I don't start the journey. (The "now," right?) So, day 2 of C25K tonight, and tomorrow - day 2 of P90X. And more days of having more energy to keep my house cleaner and play with kids in addition to the job and the bar study. This is good!

EveLHaelf
06-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm back, again. Lost 100 lbs in 2010 then gained 60 back. Feel like a huge failure and have tried several times to get back on track only to let life get in the way again and fall back on bingeing habits.

I started Chalean Extreme today. I finished the program before and got great results so I am excited to get back to it. Spinning class tonight. Have to go update my ticker and FOCUS. I need to do this!

I love the idea of externalizing the voice. I'm going to call her "fat Patty" :p and I've had about enough of Fat Patty and her bad mouth! lol

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-18-2012, 07:41 PM
:welcome: back to our 3rd REGAINERS RELOSING thread ladies ~ boy, do I know how you all feel; as I explained, I am a former yo-yoer who successfully dieted many times (did most of the most common diets over the years). However, none of them addressed how to not regain the weight ... arrgh!!!

I didn't regain it overnight; it took some years of repeat dieting. After doing this I don't know how many times, I became a bit jaded and just stopped. I decided I wasn't going through all that again until I learned how to do it right (I mean permanently this time).

So, the big lesson learned is to continue using the same plan, the same methods, and the same strategies that I used to lose this weight. A successful maintainer here called BARGOO explained it this way so succinctly in the Maintainer's forum.

Plus, more importantly -- I have learned how to deal with my emotional and stress eating this time around. Today I had stress big-time, but I didn't turn to food -- I came in here instead and I did some singing while I was at it; and it worked. :D

I'm getting better at this. Yes, it does take practice, but as time goes on, you do get better at it. This time, I KNOW that I cannot go back to overeating unhealthy amounts of food; this time, I'm more aware. This time, I know that I must keep track of what and how much I'm eating -- all the time.

Good luck ladies; you can do it! Have a wonderful OP week ... :flow2:

patchworkpenguin
06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Avengers was good but it was 3D which drives me nuts. At least I didn't leave the theater with a headache like the last 3D movie I watched.

Laurie, glad I could help. In the book the inner voice is Harriet, but I think of mine as the Golem from the Lord of the Rings and getting me to eat is his Precious.

patchworkpenguin
06-19-2012, 05:20 PM
So today I've done 7 loads of laundry {one more to go}, knitted 3 hats {almost done with third} and walked 3 miles with Leslie from her 5DWP DVD; Red, Yellow and Purple. I think purple is my favorite mile due to the music.

HealthyMeWannabe
06-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Today I kayaked for 10.86 miles with my best friend. It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to going again sometime soon! :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-19-2012, 07:58 PM
WOW, HEALTHYWANNABE ~ that's quite an accomplishment; sounds like you had fun, and you likely burned a lot of energy too.

PATCH ~ I hung out some laundry today too; the weather was perfect for it. Boy, you must knit fast -- just like my mother did (and she was good at it too).

Just did stuff indoors as it was really too hot to do anything but water my plants today. Plan to get up a bit earlier tomorrow, and do some more planting in the cool of the early morn. Eating was good today; glad about that.

Have a wonderful, OP Wednesday, everyone ... :flow2:

patchworkpenguin
06-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Me Again! My parents gave us some more purple coneflowers so we went out tonight after the sun had set on that side of the house to plant them, then I got involved in dividing iris {slightly too early but they've bloomed and aren't doing well anyway}. Hubby was a big help! He helped me by digging some holes and killing the two SNAKES! Bear in mind we live deep in the suburbs, our house has been here for 50 years, and they were in the front bed, right near the steps in a 4x4' patch of ground! Eeeekkk! These are not the first snakes we've seen but its always a surprise! Needless to say we cut that gardening short! Mom asked for some of the iris so I've got most of mine planted but her's are in a box for her to pick up Thursday.

CutieCourt
06-19-2012, 10:45 PM
Hi all! I am new to this thread. Have just been reading and not saying too much. I always feel like I am having an internal battle with the fit me and fat me. It seems like the fat me keeps winning and I don't know why. Today I was really down on myself and I don't know why I keep treating myself this way. I would never tell a friend such mean things but I often think those things about myself. I'll do good for a month or two and just lose motivation.

I don't know what my issue is or how to solve it. I guess I just need to get out there and do it but I already feel like a failure. How do I get past this hump that feels like a mountain?

I weighed in this morning and I am officially back to my highest adult weight and it's depressing. That's enough of me ranting..I just had to get it out.

salsa chip
06-19-2012, 10:49 PM
A new thread? Part 3? So for all that we muse about being 'quiet', somehow we've managed to talk our way through two whole threads already? :D

Ok, my story in brief: a few years ago something went click in my head and in the space of about two years I lost and kept off almost 50 lbs - the first time in my life I'd ever lost a decent amount of weight. Then I moved house (a few times), started a new job, started commuting to said job, and lost all sense of proper eating and physical activity. I gained it all back...plus another 30 lbs or so.

So here I am, trying to get it off again, and for good this time.

One difference I notice in my attitude this time round - other than in general being a complete slacker - is that I'm a lot more intrigued by being healthy and fit, rather than losing weight per se. Over here we've got a footie tournament going on right now and a few times per week I've been watching games in which all these top atheletes can run around for three quarters of an hour at a time up and down this enormous piece of grass, because their bodies are in peak condition. What are they putting in themselves that means they can function (near) optimally? That's the kind of thought I've got running round my head when I think of my own body - but in general I try not to think of my own body, because, euh, eeew.

Anyhows, my sleeping pattern over the past few days has been right out of whack, so I've stayed up all night and am pottering about doing odds and ends before heading to work. I'm hanging on for the end of the year, when the holidays come and I can start investing some proper time in looking after myself. Manic! :dizzy:

ALEKS
06-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Thank you mahtha. :)

HealthyMeWannabe
06-20-2012, 05:00 AM
patchworkpenguin - Snakes? :yikes: EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! I don't like snakes either. YUCK!

CutieCourt - :hug: I totally understand that. I'd hit my highest weight ever at 280.4 and said, "I can't keep doing this anymore." I've got to get this weight off for good.

mahtha
06-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Good morning everyone :wave:

HealthyMeWannabe, kayaking is one on my new favorite pastimes! 10 miles is a lot, congratulations!

Penguin, Let me add my Eewwwwwwww to the snake discovery. I can deal with a lot of critters, but snakes send me running for cover!

Rosebud, Your heat is headed our way! It was cool and cloudy yesterday but it's expected to be in the high 90s today and tomorrow. It seems like it's been one extreme or the other this year.

CutieCourt, Welcome! You found a great group as we've all been down that road with you. Here's hoping it's the last trip fro all of us!

Salsa, Isn't it funny that it's feast or famine with activity on this thread? It's reeaaalllyy quiet, then BOOM! It's a flurry of activity! I think it's great that so many have found the thread a home on 3FC and canget such great support from others in the same situation.

I played hookey yesterday and made some bad food choices. I skipped breakfast aside from :coffee:, ate cheese and crackers with grapes for lunch, then had guacamole and chips with dinner. I finished the day almost 400 calories over goal so I've gotta get my hiney back on track today. I'm off to the grocery store on my way home and planning, planning, and prepping to have an OP week. I was really hoping to break the 30 pound mark this week, but that's clearly not going to happen with the food choices I've made!

I hope everyone has a fantastic day :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-20-2012, 08:06 PM
OK, like snakes make me think of the garden of Eden -- seriously, I stare at them (my heart pounding in my chest) and all I can think of is -- you know, the serpent in the garden. So I start this conversation, "Ok, it's you or me pal -- and guess what, it's you! You are outa here!" ... then I go screaming for my DH to come and get this dang snake and pitch it into the next century. :lol:

We had one that kept coming back to our greenhouse (when we lived in the country) becuz he liked it there and it reminded him of the Garden of Eden. So, the last time, I told DH to take it to the next concession and told "it" (the snake) that if it came back again, it would be tres, tres sorry -- ya, I did! I hate killing any living thing, but this guy was really pushing his luck! I told him that he wasn't gonna win this time. He never came back! ;)

:welcome: CUTIECOURT ~ yes, we've all waged a battle with ourselves; been unkind to ourselves; and been discouraged untold times; but we are now learning not to do that anymore. I believe having a positive attitude and making a commitment to oneself can achieve so much more. :hug:

The weather was much nicer today; it was cooler, so we went shopping today. Got a few groceries and some good deals; blueberries, veggies, some second-hand books & movies; and blueberry bushes all on sale today. Yes, it was a good day. I love deals! :yes:

They are predicting some thunderstorms for tonight and tomorrow; that's Ok, my plants, and veggies, and bushes all love the :rain:. Have a wonderful OP day tomorrow ... :flow1:

sonickel77
06-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Back again, after losing 27 kgs last year, then regaining 15 kg back......
I will prevail this time!

patchworkpenguin
06-20-2012, 10:28 PM
I did about 8 min of a kbox dvd but didn't like it so I pulled it out and did another 30 min weights instead.

No gardening today of course!

mahtha
06-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Welcome rebelle and sonickel77!

Ironically, last night when I went to water my windowboxes I was greeted by a nice big snake! Please...I think there was some confusion here. I wanted someone to send cooler weather, NOT YOUR SNAKES!!!!!!!

The scales showed I was up 2 pounds today, which is incredibly frustrating. I know it's not "real", but it seems like every time I get close to a mini goal I get very stuck. I want that nice round 30 and halfway there and on my way to 40 and I'm not in a very patient mood at all. <end rant for today>

I hope everyone has a great, OP day and can stay cool!

patchworkpenguin
06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Sue, your comment make me laugh! Eeeeek on your snake too!

sonickel, welcome, glad to have you join us.

Rebelle, I think your idea of being happy where we are is a good one. Focusing on the past can just be so negative.

Opps, my fellow knitter is here to pick me up.

healthyginger
06-21-2012, 04:06 PM
My first day on 3fc site, 2nd reply after lots of reading this just about has me in tears. Today is 2nd day back on for health diet-lifestyle program. I've gained and lost and regained hundreds of pounds in the last 40+ years-heck probably over a thousand by now and my daughter says well, at least you keep relosing some, what would you weigh if you never lost at all?
I started at yoyoing 10-30 pds in my teens and ended yo yoing 60-80 pds in my 40ties. I'm 61 now, in my 56-57th year I lost 72 pds down to 200. I have't been under 200 in 21years, Every time I get to 200 it's this huge roadblock. Last time loss was easy peasy-in fact happiest year of my life even had I lost nothing. It's only great physical, unrelenting pain that after 3yrs of painful health issues do I cry uncle once again, I can't sleep, can't figure out what exercise to do from my wheelchair way out here in the country. I need help and it looks like I might have found it.
Whew!! That felt good getting all that out. I have never told just how big I've gotten (279 last count) to anyone. I'm Only 5ft tall. I so want to be able to better play with my 4 grandbabies before it's too late. Sorry I vented so much here.But you just got me through cravings, Thanks

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-21-2012, 08:47 PM
:welcome: TO THE NEWBIES ~ SONICKEL77, REBELLE, and GINGER ... glad you joined us over here ... :)

GINGER ~ I hear your pain; and really know how you feel. It's OK to vent here; vent away. Our stories are very similar -- I'm sure I've lost hundreds of lbs in my life too.

I was put on my first "non-diet" in my teens by a parent & doctor. I lost the weight but gained it all back with interest the very next year. My Gram was concerned so we talked; and that encouraged me to lose some on my own over the next year, plus even more when I left home. The weight started to slowly come back on, so I joined a gym to counter that and it helped. I went to college twice in there but managed not to gain too much. Over the years, lots of stress & injuries & pain came into my life, so up & down I went like a yo-yo (literally) each time gaining more and so forth.

After I got married the stress increased, plus trying to please my DH -- I continued to gain until I was my biggest ever. I also started to have health issues plus had another very serious injury & more pain. Then I saw a picture of myself that helped motivate me. After I got sick, I started to lose -- then I decided to do some research on how not to regain (but couldn't find any); and how not to turn to food for emotions and stress: and had to learn all about that myself too.

All of us here have similar stories and experiences (more or less); we've lost and gained; and lost and regained. Now we are here trying to support each other; and learn new ways to lose and keep it off for good this time. I've been working on this for a while as you can see -- some physical limitations have slowed things down for me, but I'm still making progress despite them. My main goal is to be healthy again just as my moniker says, and that is what drives my commitment.

I AM COMMITTED TO DOING MY BEST EACH DAY!!! :D

salsa chip
06-22-2012, 05:45 AM
Morning everyone :wave:

I stepped on the scales now to see my weight at 122kg - 268.9, so I'm calling 269. Finally out of the 270's! Now I just need to make it stick!

Today I have to do some work at home, then I'm off to my new employers (new job next year) to meet people and find out which classes I'm getting. But first I need to find the energy to get out of bed and have breakfast...

Inspired by a friend of mine, I think I'm going to start doing some physical exercise each day. And because it's the most obvious one for me, it's going to be cycling (everyone has a bike where I live, and this place is as flat as a pancake, so it really is the most practical step). I can't really face going out for a run at my size :P So later on today I'm hopping on my bike and going exploring!

Big warm :welcome: to all who are joining in for the first (ahem) time and all who are also here from the other two threads. We can do this, yeahhhh! :carrot:

mahtha
06-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Welcome, Ginger!

Congrats on getting out of those pesky 270s, salsa! You go girl :cheer: Good luck with your meeting today and congrats again on your new job.

Today will be scorcher #3, I can't wait for some cooler weather and a good night's sleep. We defaulted to pizza last night for dinner due to the heat, but I still ended the day at 1204 calories. I'm trying not to fixate on the scale, but I have to admit I've not been very successful. I guess the good news is that I've come to terms with the realization that if I stay OP, EVENTUALLY I'll get there and every day is a step in the right direction. It may be a long time before I hit my goal, but he!!, at least I'm not gaining again!

I hope everyone has a great day and for those who are 3FC lite on the weekends, have a fantastic weekend.

patchworkpenguin
06-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Yesterday was fairly uneventful. I went to a knitting meeting in the morning then lunch with my parents. I was supposed to exercise but took a nap instead. Bad Penguin!

Today I get to clean house.

Ginger, welcome, glad to have you join us.

Salsa, good job getting on the bike.

patchworkpenguin
06-22-2012, 04:00 PM
I did 55min of kettlebells today. It felt good to push myself, since this is the hardest workout I've done in a while.

I finished the house cleaning, too.

GemIAm
06-22-2012, 04:11 PM
In January I weighed 278 lbs - heaviest ever! I have been a weight yo-yo my whole life. Now I need to get down to a healthy weight and MAINTAIN it... Really glad to have found 3FC & that this thread is here!

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-22-2012, 04:36 PM
:welcome2: GEM ~ glad you found us too; congrats on your re-success so far ... ;)

PATCH ~ kudos to you for all that exercise and getting the house-cleaning done -- they both burn calories.

SUE ~ good for you staying on plan with the pizza; I aim for the same results: I try to fit my favorites into my plan too, and that has helped me a lot. :D

SALSA ~ congrats on breaking into the 260's; and enjoy your bike rides too.

The weather is beautiful here (the last 2 days); in the 70's F, so DH and I took advantage and got lots of yard work done today. Burned a lot of energy and really enjoyed it too. I know that I will be sore tomorrow, but that will be my rest day this week. ;) Food has been good this week; having burgers & salad for dinner tonight.

Hope you all have a wonderful OP weekend coming up ... :flow2:

LoseToAll
06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Gone a few days and I get lost. Glad I found you guys again. I am camping right now so no scale. And I am eating off plan because I am with a group preparing foods. I am just trying to use moderation, make good choices and count calories. Hope it works

I love the name Fat Patty. I am going to adopt it for my evil voice. Makes me laugh and sounds evil.

Welcome all that are new. You will find the nicest ladies here that all have the same story. Glad you joined us. Lsfunky

salsa chip
06-23-2012, 03:27 AM
Gem - Hello, so glad you're here with us!

Justwant2Bhealthy - Good on you for getting out into the yard; I'm terrible at keeping house. My flat is a perpetual mess!

LoseToAll - Welcome back :) Preparing foods in a group sounds interesting. How does that work? Do you all sit together and chop veggies? (Because I think that'd be awesome, but then I get a bit lonely living on my own sometimes)

Oh my gosh it's the weekend and it's almost Summer hols! I left to go (by bike) to my meeting yesterday, and not half a minute down the road and the heavens opened and I got drenched. Five minutes later it was sunny again, but I still arrived looking like a drowned rat :D Then on my way back I took a wrong turn and ended up on the scenic route back home. It wouldn't count as exercise, but it was activity, so I don't mind that much.

Now, I'm going to have some breakfast and finish off some work! Have a great weekend everyone!

patchworkpenguin
06-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Ugh, I'm sore today. Somewhere between "I can't move' and "I can move, but I don't want to because it will hurt!" :p but then again I'm down half a lb, too.

I'm trying to finish getting a bag together for Goodwill, and I need to do some more work in my sewing room. I'm going to try to keep busy so I don't get stiff from not moving. And some cardio. ;)

Salsa, sorry to hear you got drenched then lost!

Losetoall, camping sounds like fun, glad you found us.

Rosebud, great job on the yardwork.

Gem, welcome glad to have you join us.

ALEKS
06-23-2012, 01:25 PM
I just got back from the gym and had an amazing workout!! I'm so fortunate to have a circuit training facility not only in my city but 5 minutes away! I've never seen results in a big box gym. This one is like having your own personal trainer everyday!

I just had a snack of 6 oz greek yogurt and 2 mini oranges.

I'm on top of the world! Sometimes, I hate going to the gym but I never regret it after and feel so amazing! :)

salsa chip
06-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm on top of the world! Sometimes, I hate going to the gym but I never regret it after and feel so amazing! :)

Haha, your enthusiasm is infectious! :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-23-2012, 07:20 PM
:wave: Well, the temps did get up there :hot: for a bit today, but we had a breeze for most of the afternoon and a quick splash of :rain: too. This has been very common so far this year; and I actually like it. I was reading while waiting for dinner to cook and it really cooled things down for us.

SALSA ~ I agree with REBELLE, that bike ride sounds like exercise to me too; any time you are in motion is exercise in my book ... ;)

ALEKS ~ that is so true about exercise and many other activities we hesitate doing; we always end up enjoying ourselves much more than we expect we will. Glad you did too .... :)

REBELLE ~ yes, it is best to check in regularly as I have heard others say the reminders don't always show up; don't know why though. :shrug: I agree that the humidity is worse than the actual temps. We do have an air conditioner/ humidifier that I hope to use if we can find the missing window panel; it got lost somewhere & we can't find it. :dizzy:

PATCH ~ sorry you are sore; that won't last too long, but take that half a lb ... :yes:

LSFUNKY ~ hey, you are camping; are they serving bbq? I would just eat the meat and salad/veggies; and go lite on the rest, but you do want to enjoy yourself a wee bit. It's about choices. I think some people don't realize you changed your name from LSFUNKY to LOSETOALL. I still keep referring to you as LSFUNKY too: I liked that name; it was different. :cool:

I made chicken & riblets in homemade BBQ sauce for dinner tonight, with a half ear of corn (saved the rest for tomorrow), green & yellow beans, shredded cabbage, with baby carrots & new potatoes. I am so full (but I eat only one plate). This is one of our favorites, so why don't I make this more often -- think I will this summer for sure. :D

Well, I was so pleasantly pleased that I wasn't too sore today; my back just a little, so I really took it easy and just did laundry (hung on the line), meals, and daily stuff (you know). I really try to take my time and do things that are within my range. I won't be running any marathons any time soon, but I like to think that my body is getting stronger as time goes on too. I just do what I can do ... :dance:

Hope you are all having a great OP weekend ... :flow1:

LoseToAll
06-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Aleks I wish that I felt that way about exercise. I just feel hot and sweaty.

All the meal talk with the fresh veggies and gardening make me jealous. I love to eat but hate to cook. I wish I could move in with you guys

I am back from camping and ate like crazy but better choices than I used to make. Back on plan tomorrow.

To answer question about cooking together on camping trip. Each family plans and buys one meal. Then we get together and help make it and clean up. It is a lot o fun and they had plenty of veggies and fruit which was good. My problem is the desert. Rootbeer floats, cookies and chips. I had some but I thought in moderation for me and I counted calories. So I was totally accountable about going over. I have less guilt somehow about going over for some reason. Maybe because I am accountable and I have never been before. Does that sound right? Anyway we were supposed to do a hike and my DH hurt his ankle so I got out of it. I was so glad, I am so out of shape that I was so worried about embarrassing myself. We do this trip every year with my church and next year I am going to be prepared for it next year. I promise it. And you guys are going to help me Thanks for all the support. Lsfunky

ALEKS
06-24-2012, 10:59 AM
salsa chip: heeh thanks. :) I don't always feel that way.

justwant2behealthy: I know, right? Why can we never remember that when we don't want to do these things?

LoseToAll: I hate cardio, but I love weights. The nice thing with circuit training is you alternate 30 seconds between a lifting activity and 30 seconds of a cardio activity. Sometimes 30 seconds doing a mountain climber or a burpee IS torture! lol I never like ANY gym until this one...it's efficient and you get a super good workout and results. I really think that makes a difference.

I use to hate sweating too, but it was more of a self conscious this...you know I'm fat and sweaty so people are going to judge me... the thin girls face stays completely dry. But, at the end of it...when you know you've worked so hard it motivates you to keep going and make the right decisions.

GemIAm
06-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Whoo-hoo...have stayed on plan since Thursday! Even getting all my water in...under 200 here I come!

ALEKS
06-24-2012, 06:12 PM
:carrot::carrot::carrot::D

patchworkpenguin
06-25-2012, 12:15 AM
By rearranging yarn, I emptied out two drawers in a small plastic dresser I have in my sewing room! So now I'm wandering around trying to find something to put in there:dizzy:. I have a lot of scraps and half used skeins that I'm trying to make hats to donate to our church's Streets Ministry this winter.

Hubby and I had a mostly lazy day. He did get some yard work and stained some trim for around the floors.

mahtha
06-25-2012, 10:01 AM

We had a busy weekend with graduation parties and another wedding. I'm happy to report those are all behind us now :) I made good food choices, but I really need to get strict again - I haven't seen the scale move in a while. Back to basics this week and we'll see what happens.

Have a great day, all!

calluna
06-25-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm another regainer relosing, I'm afraid. I lost most of my weight in 2010 very successfully. Last year, in 2011, I ran 2 triathlons. Unfortunately, my partner was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer and I kind of didn't handle that particular stressor very well at all. Things are still pretty rough in that part of life, but it is a bit more stable and he's still with us.

Probably the thing that irritates me the most is that I LOVE being fit. I loved being able to swim for two hours straight, to bike 30 miles, or run 5 miles. Or all three (in smaller quantities, though). I got used to not being fat and being able to do those things without looking like a whale on wheels, so to speak.

So, here I am again, sharing my pained embarrassment and commitment to getting back to where I was. I'm eating well and starting to work out again.

Martine
06-25-2012, 03:01 PM
I feel like a yoyo these days. One week I'm down, the next I'm way back up. Can't say that I've been staying on plan at all these past 3 weeks, but then why would my weight go down at all? It's like my body is taunting me and then the weight goes right back up, I am confused :?:

So we figured out that one of the reasons that my husband and I haven't exactly been eating well lately is because we are not doing the dishes regularly because of this Summer heat. Embarassing to say, but when dishes are piling up, we do not feel like being in the kitchen to cook at all, so we keep ordering out or eating toast. So after ten years of talking about getting a dishwasher, we finally bought one over the weekend. I have never in my entire 37-year existence owned a dishwasher, but this should help keep the kitchen organized and more inviting to cook. Now I'm off grocery shopping for some healthy foods for the week.

salsa chip
06-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Probably the thing that irritates me the most is that I LOVE being fit. I loved being able to swim for two hours straight, to bike 30 miles, or run 5 miles. Or all three (in smaller quantities, though). I got used to not being fat and being able to do those things without looking like a whale on wheels, so to speak.

THIS. Oh my goodness, this. When I first lost weight, it was the first time in my life I'd ever not been obese (that I could remember). It was awesome. The light-footedness (literally!), the energy, the stamina, the strength...I miss that so much.

So we figured out that one of the reasons that my husband and I haven't exactly been eating well lately is because we are not doing the dishes regularly because of this Summer heat. Embarassing to say, but when dishes are piling up, we do not feel like being in the kitchen to cook at all, so we keep ordering out or eating toast.

Yes, me too (though I don't have a dishwasher). Thanks for the prodding to get all my washing up done today....

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-25-2012, 07:15 PM
:wave: We had nice temps the last two days; in the 70's which is really nice, so we spent a lot of time outdoors just enjoying it. I read a little bit for a while too. Today, we had to do some errands in the AM. In the afternoon, I did some watering and dead-headed my peony bushes; then, we put up hangers for my climbing vines to climb skyward on. We made them out of wire clothes-hangers and that worked really well.

Eating has been going really well for me this month; and I am very happy about that. Tonight, we had shepherd's pie on green beans. We have that about once a month; it's one of DH's favorites, but I like it too. I love to have green beans as well as they have few calories and are filling.

Have a great week coming up, and be nice to yourselves ladies ... :flow2:

LaurieDawn
06-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Probably the thing that irritates me the most is that I LOVE being fit. I loved being able to swim for two hours straight, to bike 30 miles, or run 5 miles.

Quoting this as well, because I SO relate to it. I am slowly working back up to these levels again, and it can be frustrating because I want to be THERE instead of working up to there. On the other hand, it feels AMAZING to accomplish the small goals that will take me there.

Rebelle - I am so trying to have patience as one of my biggest weapons this time around. Because I want to know enough to make this sustainable long-term. Yay for you for getting this info!

Martine - Congrats on the dishwasher! I'm exactly the same way. I don't cook if I have to do dishes first, then it gets all cyclical.

Sue - Great job maintaining through graduation/wedding season. Exciting that you are doing the long-term thing and getting serious about the losses again.

ALEKS - I share your enthusiasm for the gym, and not to be boastful, but - I KILLED it at the gym today. Going in, I felt tired even walking from the parking lot to the door, and I thought it would be a "drag through it and just get it done" session, but after my warm-up, I felt AMAZING and ran for longer and faster than I have for years. So nice to have an unexpected easy-but-super-productive gym session!

I am so worried about long-term success, but for now, I'm celebrating getting through each day and establishing new habits and embracing new foods and exercise routines. I feel so much better when I'm nurturing my health!

patchworkpenguin
06-26-2012, 12:36 AM
We had errand running day today. Not very fun but stuff that needed to be done, and the heat sucked the fun out of everything anyway. I did find a beautiful dark green pashmina type scarf at Hobby Lobby of all places. A 40% off coupon made it $9 including tax!

Beverlyjoy
06-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi! I am still around. Have been struggling - but, am turning it around. I must learn that food doesn't solve stress, pain, frustation, emotions, etc. Also, that being out of town and going to celebrations isn't a liscene to eat just anything I want.

I got on the scale yesterday and was up three pounds. I got on the scale today and was down those three pounds. Am grateful for that. I am still ten pounds higher than in January.

I did a 'bend & twist' yesterday and have lower back pain. I also need to learn to follow my intuition about what I can actually do when it could impact my lower back. When it feels good... then I think, "oh I can do that". I guess I can't drag the hose over to the tomatos, even though I want to. Not fair...oh well.

I will move forward.

Thanks for your support.

patchworkpenguin
06-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm trying to come up with a newexercise rotation with kettlebells and kickboxing. I've been doing the same workouts for so long I'm bored, and I need to clean up my eating. A woman on my exercise forum posted a weekly rotation that I liked and may copy with a few tweaks.

I'm also thinking I may need some sort of gimmick to keep me interested or on track. Such as a daily list of things I need to do and check off. We did this in the Beck system, but its the Beck list, maybe I would do better with the Penguin list, LOL.

Joy, sorry to hear about your back, but I'm glad to hear from you.

calluna
06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Good morning, everyone!

Beverlyjoy, it is good to see you. Sounds like things are pretty rough on the lower back. Certainly I hear you on the food regarding stress, pain, etc. I need to develop some better coping mechanisms.

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-26-2012, 04:01 PM
BEVERLYJOY ~ yes, we are glad you have come by again; we miss your bubbly posts. I would be ecstatic to have gone through what you have and not gained one single pound! That's a great victory in itself! ^Prayers^ going up that your back feels better soon; look for another way to water those tomatoes that won't hurt your back. I get my DH to drag hoses and carry water jugs; he doesn't mind ... ;)

We filled up our half barrels with mixed soil this AM, and then I planted them today. I planted the last of the onion sets, 4 kinds of lettuces, and two kinds of green beans. I hope to have lots to put in the freezer when they are ready.

We're having WP salmon fish, veggies, and salad for dinner tonight; think I'll add in a brown rice mix to round it all off too. The weather is lovely again today; in the mid-70's which is really nice.

Have a great OP day ladies ... :flow1:

patchworkpenguin
06-26-2012, 04:41 PM
I did 45min of kettlebells. I started with 10lbs then moved up to 15. I might have gone higher but my next size up is 25lbs. Snicker, I might have to go shopping! I added on 25min of stretching because I don't want to be sore for the next few days.

patchworkpenguin
06-27-2012, 05:44 PM
I did 45min of Plyo cardio today. Hubby texted that he had to preform a 'surprise' inspection today so will be late again. :(

Beverlyjoy
06-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi coaches...friends.... Well I got through yesterday pretty well on plan. That's two solid days. I am grateful for that. My back is feeling a little bit better.... still have a way to go. Improvement is good.

Yesterday - my credits were that I wrote down all my food, planned my food (however, didn't write it down in advance), measured my food, logged my food, lots of water & a few gentle stretches.. It's a start to try and get to where I know I can find some 'peace' with food.

calluna - yes, it's hard for me and other's to face so many things without the food crutch. But, we keep trying!!

justwant2bhealthy -Thanks. I will absolutely get help with the hose and watering. This morning I gave the little boy next door a 'job'. He watered each plant...I told him to count to thirty two times while watering each different plants. I think it helped him give each veggie a good drink.

patchworkp - all the exercise is awesome. Big credit!.

kurisitaru
06-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Every summer, I lose 10-20 lbs, last summer before October I checked in at 145! YAY... and then school, and stress, and drinking and suddenly I balloon to 173, I'm stuck in this cycle of summer loss winter gains and it sucks! This year... I have a plan... sort of...

LoseToAll
06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Every summer, I lose 10-20 lbs, last summer before October I checked in at 145! YAY... and then school, and stress, and drinking and suddenly I balloon to 173, I'm stuck in this cycle of summer loss winter gains and it sucks! This year... I have a plan... sort of...

What is your plan? You sound very disciplined during the summer. Is it the holidays that get you? How do you lose during the summer?

LoseToAll
06-27-2012, 06:57 PM
My days have been sad. DH job is up in the air and insurance is now $580 a month we have looked into outside insurance and it is more and less benefits. It is terrible for us. We are barely making it. Too much stress on both of us and it is not good. I have stayed on plan for the most part I have chocolate integrated into my calorie counting which helps but I am up and down the same few pounds never breaking the 227. So frustrating. Well enough with my complaining. Thanks for listening. Lsfunky

kurisitaru
06-27-2012, 07:09 PM
My plan is the same. I always calorie count and bike / Shred.
Last summer was the same. I counted calories and would work out every day.
This year... I'm thinking that was too much to keep up with. I just need to work out 3-5 days a week and calorie count but maybe not so strict?

It's so sad doing so well and blowing it. It's stress of school and feeling like I don't have time to cook or work out that blows it. I also am a STRESS EATER! I love latte's and baked goods when I feel the heat of classes. It sucks, and maybe I need an activity when I'm stressed. I'm thinking of going to the counselor this year instead of a coffee shop.

patchworkpenguin
06-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Hubby was only 30min late so that was nice. I tried to make hot dog buns out of the part of the dough, they didn't turn out well, more like crunchy dog treats. Sigh. We found some turkey hot dogs with no preservatives, which are very good. I didn't realize they were turkey until I'd eaten a few. Hubby picked them out.

I just looked at my join date and realized June is my anniversary for joining 3FC.

Kuri, don't think of it as blowing it. Learn that you need to take more time for yourself. When we first started the Regainers Beverlyjoy pointed out that we all sounded mad at ourselves for 'letting this happen'. Learning to let go of the anger I felt at myself was a big step to getting back on track. The counselor sounds like a good idea.

Losetoall, I hope your Hubby's job is stable. We've already been told that in January Hubby's company is going to cut our insurance way back. We are hoping its not going to be as bad as it sounds.

calluna
06-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Well, today has been pretty good so far. Ate well. I do a lot better these days because I'm cooking healthy for my partner on doctor's orders. Going to the pool here in an hour or so for some laps!

patchworkpenguin
06-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Knitting meeting this AM, then my parents are taking me to lunch, and prehaps some shopping. Kettlebells for later.

mahtha
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Good morning everyone! :wave: Yesterday's college orientation went well. I was able to make good food choices but my water consumption is still too low. I find that really hard when I'm out and about.

Penguin, You've been a madwoman with those kettlebells lately, congrats on getting in all the workouts!

calluna, I hope cooking for your partner makes things easier for you. I find cooking for the non-weight concious in my family difficult. I don't want to put anyone on a diet, but I don't want to sabotage my own efforts either. Stirking a balance can he tough.

kurisitaru, Welcome! It sounds like you have a good plan in place to succeed! Keep hanging with us and we'll throw in some :cheer: to the mix.

Funky, I'm sorry to hear of DH's job uncertainty and insurance chnages. Those stressors can make it even harder to stay OP. I feel your pain bouncing around the same few pounds. I've been trying to break 196 for a couple of weeks now and I'm getting nowhere fast. I keep reminding myself that if I do the right things, the right things will happen. Eventually I'll convince myself that it's true :)

Beverlyjoy, I'm thrilled you've found a gardening assistant and can be sure all your hard work there pays off. Be gentle with yourself annd your back - you'llbe hancing again in no time!

Rosebud, We've had the same weather here but it's supposed to get hot tomorrow and staying the 90s for a few days. I'm looking forward to some kayaking over the weekend to enjoy the sunshine and get some sun on my face.

We have a work cookout scheduled for lunchtime today, I'm hoping there are healthy options available to keep me on the straight and narrow. I have dinner plans with a girlfriend and this day could go to he!! in a handbasket if I'm not careful.

I hope everyone has a great, OP day!

GemIAm
06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
I feel so much better when I'm nurturing my health! Oh Yeah! It is true isn't it?! :carrot:

Hi! I am still around. Have been struggling - but, am turning it around. I must learn that food doesn't solve stress, pain, frustation, emotions, etc. Also, that being out of town and going to celebrations isn't a liscene to eat just anything I want.
I love quotes, & I have to share a couple of my favorites that really work for me with both these issues that I also struggle with, emotional eating and cheating...
"If hunger isn't the problem...then food isn't the answer."
"Persistence and willpower pays off and the 'just this once' mentality will sabotage you over & over again."
*I have both these quotes printed and hanging in my office*

My days have been sad. DH job is up in the air and insurance is now $580 a month we have looked into outside insurance and it is more and less benefits. It is terrible for us. We are barely making it. You are in my thoughts...financial stress is the pits.

I just looked at my join date and realized June is my anniversary for joining 3FC.
:woo: Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad you are here! You were one of the first people to welcome me when I was a newbie :woo:

My good news: I am down 7.2 lbs this week - 2 lbs is the weight I gained last week from cheating, but I am "back in the game."

My stresses: Son who just started college, possible 3rd new boss in 1 year (re-orgs...gotta love them), Husband's job may require us to leave our 3 acres in paradise & move back to "DC Metro-****." I am trying to find new coping mechanisms for all the change I don't control and all the uncertainty. I keep telling myself "Things will work out as they are meant to be."

Happy Thursday All!

patchworkpenguin
06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Funny story: I send Hubby a text telling him about my workouts. Today's read "I did 45min of Kettlebells"

H: "after all you did earlier?"

"What did I do earlier?" {I've been sitting all day!}

"The other day...you did kbells"

"That was Tuesday...This is today!"

I should point out Hubby doesn't exercise.:D And unlimited texts exist to drive each other nuts.

Gem, I like your "things will turn out as they are ment" philosophy. I've spent some time this past year learning not to worry about things that may or may not happen. Great job on your loss!

Sue, Like you, I have a hard time getting my water in on days I'm away from home.

Beverlyjoy
06-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Hi folks... yesterday was a healthy food day - I am always grateful for that. I accomplished some of my goals: planned/measured/logged food, lots of water, always left a bite, watched my sodium, posted here & tried to taste the food.

My little water the garden helper came again this morning. He help watering the annuals, veggies and any newly planted plants. It's very very hot with little rain. Ugh... plants are stressed out.

I hope you are all doing well.

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Well, it was :hot: today, just like they expected; but we got up earlier to transplant the raspberry & blackberry bushes. Everything went smoothly -- too smoothly ... ;) I later discovered that we forgot one raspberry plant that was hiding amongst the blueberry bushes; and then read on a site that you shouldn't put blackberry plants near your raspberry plants or they could spread diseases to each other ... arrrgh!

So, tomorrow AM (early), we have to gently move the blackberry bushes farther away on the south side; then plant the other raspberry bush where they were. If we have time left, we will start putting in the blueberry bushes. It just delays us a day and adds more work -- oh well, what can you do? When you're 5'2" and your name's MAGOO? :shrug:

:welcome: KURI ~ your new revised plan sounds good; that may just be the change that works for the long term.

LSFUNKY ~ will send up some ^prayers^ about your DH's job; and your insurance issues. :hug:

BEVERLYJOY ~ glad that you found a little garden helper while your back heals. I count while I water too ... ;)

GEM ~ congrats on the 7+ lbs; that is always encouraging. Seems we all have numerous stressors in our lives that we have to deal with.

PATCH ~ congrats on your kettlebell work; your DH is probably shocked that you are doing it every day. Some spread it out to EOD to rest their muscles.

CALLUNA ~ glad you and your DH are getting healthier together.

We just had leftovers for dinner tonight; re-heated in the Microwave to keep the house cooler for the evening. Gonna go do some reading for awhile. Hope you all have a Fabulously OP Friday tomorrow ... :flow2:

better health3
06-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow. I've been gone for a few days and this thread is really rolling! Welcome all. I lost three pounds last week, for which I am thrilled! Every little bit helps.

We found some turkey hot dogs with no preservatives, which are very good. I didn't realize they were turkey until I'd eaten a few. Hubby picked them out.
I had an oscar meyer fat free hotdof for 40 calories and it tasted nothing like a hot dog-just chemicals! So, I tried a hundred calorie turkey hot dog, this was much better. Patchwork,your exercise looks great!

I was able to make good food choices but my water consumption is still too low.

Mahtha, I either us a rubbermaid 1 quart and fill it up 2x, a plastic 32 oz. cup and fill it up twice, or a 2 quart and fill it up once and drink that through the day. Good luck with school!

My good news: I am down 7.2 lbs this week

Gem, wow, that is wonderful. Keep it up.

calluna
06-28-2012, 11:49 PM
This is a pretty active thread, isn't it? That's great!

It poured rain today, so it was an indoor workout - picked up my weights again and spent a bit of time on the stationary bike. Ate well too, so I think things are pretty well in my world.

On a funnier note... most of the recipes in the Spectrum book that the doc recommended for DH are really good - spicy, filling, tasty, quick, and simple to prepare. I made one last night, though... I have to wonder what they were thinking, because my son who will eat anything just looked at me mournfully this evening when we heated up the leftovers. He waded through half his bowl before giving up. You can't win them all! I'll have to cook something tasty tomorrow to make up for it. :D

dgramie
06-29-2012, 07:56 AM
I am back on track again..hoping to stay OP this time. I lost 5lbs since monday this week but its the same 5lbs I gained last week.
I know the missing key is exercise ....

patchworkpenguin
06-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Today is housecleaning day, and I get to brush April's teeth; the 'doggie breath' is getting out of hand...or paw! Planning some cardio today. I was thinking kbox until I realized this is the day I clean house so it may be more like a Leslie. No brain or back required.

Hubby and I are both stress eaters. When we got upset by something that happened yesterday, we tried to talk about it, then ended up in a fight. I wanted to make a pan of brownies but settled on two cookies. So kinda a win there, credit for not making the brownies anyway!

Dgramie, great job on losing the 5lbs! Its still progress and a reason to be happy.

Calluna, I like the 'mournfully' comment. Hope the rest of the meals are liked by everyone.

Betterhealth, great job on the 3 lbs. I was really impressed with the turkey dogs too.

Rosebud, I really appreciate your looking out for me but I did do a cardio workout on Wed. Tues, Thurs, Sat are weights. Hope the transplanting goes well.

Beverly, our tomato plants {in pots} are looking so wilted we moved them back into a shadier place. I don't think we'll get any tomatos this year.

salsa chip
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Hello there Relosers!

Well now today I've had a very lazy day. I was updating my profile (down about half a pound! :carrot:) and for the sheer heck of it, took a look through my old threads that I had started The First Time.

It was such an eye-opener! Not that what I came out with was anywhere on on the 'Wisdom Scale', but the replies that the forum gave - so positive and encouraging. So here's a tip for you today: go back and look at your old threads or posts, recall the place you were in back then, and let it help you get back there now!

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-29-2012, 10:23 PM
We had nicer weather today; some :sunny: and some :rain: (like right now and it's so nice to cool off). We transplanted the other raspberry bush, but I'm still vascillating about moving the blackberries. I may just put up a wall between them as I am limited for southern exposure on this lot. We are thinking of putting a salad garden box there also; so we'll see. What to do ... what to do? ;)

SALSA ~ that's a good idea for those that were here when they lost weight before.

PENGUIN ~ just got the days mixed up; just like your DH. :) Yes, it's true -- some tomatoes don't like full sun; from my experience, they do better in partial shade, and they need lots of water. You may still gets some tomatoes yet depending on the kind they are.

DeGramie ~ wow, 5 lbs is still great even if it is a re-loss ... ;)

BETTERHEALTH ~ congrats to you on those 3 lbs; I bet that is very encouraging.

It is our Canada Day celebrations this weekend (July 1st being Canada Day). Just like you have your July 4th Independance Day as well. Hope you all have a lovely long weekend too ... :D

Just do your best ladies! :flow2:

LoseToAll
06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
I finally lost 1.5 lbs. it has been months I swear. Yesterday I ate everything before 2:00. Then had to not eat the rest of the night. I am such a mess but I have been religious about tracking my calories. Which I have never done before. Calorie counting is new for me. I have done everything else it just always seemed so hard but now it is what I do.

I had a friend from Japan call me yesterday it has been years since I have talked to her it seems like another life a skinny life. My self esteem is so low that I do not leave the house. Even church is hard and I love church. Maybe when I get down to 16's again I will feel better. Lsfunky

calluna
06-30-2012, 10:47 AM
LSfunky, I understand completely - after regaining I didn't want to dress well (of course, nothing FIT), wore somber colors, and almost canceled a visit from a family member because I didn't want her to see me like this.

In the meantime, our lives are going by.

Happiness helps with eating, with appearance, and with many other things... so, accept a :hug: from someone you don't know. Then, put something on and go out in public. Then do it again. Keep on track...but don't miss out on the joy in life because you messed up for a while.

calluna
06-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Forgot to add: scale down this week to 255.2, so I'm pretty pleased about that. Took an hour-long bike-ride yesterday, too...once I got past my whale on wheels mental image, I enjoyed myself enormously.

thelootlady
06-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Patchwork.. I am glad you started this post!

I had been over weight and obese my entire life but before I turned 40, I lost 120lbs in 2000 - and got fit while doing it. I became a runner and was doing things I never thought I could do, - including falling in love, 10k races, learning to skate and feeling sexy wearing size 10 clothes.
Life got in the way - as it usually does for all of us, My Dad became ill (eventually passing away from Cancer) I was in a comfortable relationship for the first time (married him actually) and the weight came back on and then some. I stopped taking time for myself.. for my health, and 12 years later I was over 300lbs, size 28 clothes and could barely stand up for too long in grocery store line ups. Furious with myself for letting it get like this.

So - what have I learned? We all have busy lives full of good and bad - but when we do not take time for ourselves, for our health, for shopping for good food, for thinking about what is passing our lips. The weight comes... through food, through inactivity, through stress and bad habits (or old voices... ) It is always a good time to start again, to make time for me. So yes.. lets make some new voices in our heads. Supportive - Directive Voices.

Mine is "Fit by 50 Carol" - I am back working out, started with swimming to build my endurance and now, have started to walk/slow run again after 10yrs. At 7am my old voice told me " You don't have to work till 10.. sleep in" My new voice tells me "Healthy people get up and exercise before work..and you are a healthy person" so that is what I do.

We all just keep going at what ever pace we can.. and I like hearing all your more positive voices rather than those old messages in my head.

patchworkpenguin
06-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Can you believe tomorrow will be July?

I had a hard time sleeping last night. I felt like a kid who gets to go to Disneyland the next day, my head was racing and I was all excited? I have no idea why, because nothing exciting will happen today. Around 3AM I decided to try to sleep again and managed to sleep for a while but kept waking up. I did put my night hours to good use. I knitted a sleeveless sweater last fall, and started a sleeve for it last night.

I never did the cardio but I did get April's teeth brushed and the house cleaned.

LootLady, welcome, glad to have you join us. I like your assertive "I am a Healthy Person!". I used to have "Who do I want to be?" written on my mirror. Do I want to be the healthy person who exercises or do I want to be the person who sits on the couch all the time?

LSfunky, what Calluna said! I'm trying to follow an exchange plan, which is very similar to counting cals but less work. Say you ate 1/2 cup applesauce, instead of figuring out the cals, you mark 1 fruit off your allotment for the day. I can give you the site I got most of the info from. http://frugalabundance.com/frugal_fat_loss/dietary-exchanges.htm I'm currently trying the 1400 vegan plan.

Rosebud, figured it was something like that. Who knew tomatoes were so finicky. We have them in pots so we can move them around to catch the sun,in our shady backyard. First, they weren't doing well in a shadier spot not they aren't doing well in the sun. I planted some lettuce once but the neighbor's cat started using it as a litter box and tore all the plants up.

Salsa, interesting idea to read the old threads.

kurisitaru
06-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Anyone else, on their 3rd... 4rth.. *cough* I lost count in my case... try realize it comes off more and more steady each time? Like your body knows what you're doing and it knows it's going to be better?

First attempt at weight loss and it was HORRID. Took forever, was really hard.

Every year after that, it's gotten smoother. I gain it back... which is a cycle I need to break, but it goes more steady, easier, doesn't suck as much.

patchworkpenguin
06-30-2012, 06:28 PM
I did 40min of kettlebells and my eating has been on track.

I guess you guys are all out having fun? :D

Kuri, for me it seems each time I re-gain its harder and harder to get the weight off.

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-30-2012, 08:17 PM
:welcome: to the club, CAROL ~ I do toning exercises just after waking as I find I have more energy then and it's convenient for me; no putting it off for the whole day that way. It has actually become a good new habit that I miss if I skip it; and I do snipits of other activities throughout the day as well. It works well for me ... :D

KURI ~ same boat; different experience: I found it took a lot longer and I had way more plateaus than in the past. Of course, I was a lot heavier and older this time too; but I have also kept it off the longest this time as well, so something is better for sure. The weight came on and off differently this time as well; I have a different body shape now. So I would say to others, get it off when you are younger becuz things can change a lot as you get older.

CALLUNA ~ I think our mental image of ourselves is very important in this journey, as you have found. Glad you got out there and enjoyed yourself.

LSFUNKY ~ I think many of us have felt that way at some time or another, but like EZMONEY says ... "LIVE BETWEEN THE STEPS!" Don't let life pass you by waiting for the WL, get out there and enjoy life, and the WL may even increase -- plus you will be happier as you go along too!

PATCH ~ :lol: funny story about the cats using your lettuce as a kitty litter box. Not too appetizing for sure. I have to keep skooting my furry baby boy away from my berry bushes, as I didn't think about how far his lead goes in the back yard. I put up cages around them but we may have to put up a small fence too. All of a sudden, he finds those plants so interesting -- drats!

We had a huge thunderstorm last night, with hail even; had to quickly close our bedroom window in teh the middle of the night. It has been cooler today so we won't complain one bit; and I don't mind some help with the watering at all ... ;)

Have a great weekend everyone ... :flow1:

guacamole
06-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Hello, I don't know if I belong here because I have only had a regain of 4-5 pounds over the past few weeks, but I seem to have lost my groove and am wobbling. I have been forcing myself to log my calories and post here on 3fc, but I feel ashamed of my eating lately and feel like "disappearing" which I know is the worst thing I can do. I am trying to be more relaxed about my eating and not starve the pounds off, but now I feel like I am getting too relaxed about eating off plan foods. I want to make a healthful change by upping my calories a bit, but still eating lower carb and lower sugar. This week I upped the calories but with junk. So, I am trying to relose what I regained and do it in a healthy way.

LoseToAll
07-01-2012, 09:26 AM
I am trapped by the bread the last two days. Such a hankering for it that I made bread in the bread machine. Bad choice but I am going to offset my calories to make it okay. I am working hard but it is a struggle everyday, I have no willpower. And exercising is a joke. I wish I liked it like some of you do.

What is kettlebells?

Kuri I find it is just as hard and harder to lose. I am more knowledgeable than before that is for sure. I do not do the ten day diets or buy the pills but willpower is my downfall. If I lived alone it would be easier maybe, maybe not.

Guac. Relosers of all types are here and your insight and pain are the same as ours. Besides you are a success story. Look how far you have come. I hope posting here helps, it does me. Everyone are so supportive and they enlighten my life everyday.

We have quail here and they love the new sprouts of peas. One season I planted peas three times before someone at Home Depot told me what the problem was. We had to put up cages around them for the first month or so. I have not done a garden in a few years. We have found the water to expensive on the budget. But I miss the tomatoes. We tried everything to keep the cost down but we just can't afford the extra cost we shop the farmers market.

Well hope all are well. Lsfunky

patchworkpenguin
07-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Can you believe the year is half over, or for you optimists we still have half a year to go!

I'm going to try to get Hubby in the backyard with a few kettlebells and get him re-acquainted with the exercises. I thought that would be more fun than trying to follow a workout right off. Also I want to try a flip catch again.

LSfunky, a kettlebell is a metal ball with a metal handle used for exercise. Here's one. http://artofstrength.mybigcommerce.com/products/Punch-Kettlebells-24%252d40kg.html I don't think we are going to try to garden next year. Our backyard is shady and the front is full unrelenting sun. '

Guac, welcome, glad to have you join us. Don't disappear! I'll miss you! I'm trying to clean up my eating, too. I bought a package of cookies a few weeks ago and I went a little crazy. You guys know how one package of cookies leads to another!

sluggerbean
07-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Thank you penguin for inviting me over; I'll take you up on the offer! :D

So here's my back story: way back in 1988 I lost between 80-85 pounds; then I got married, pregnant and gained it all back plus 75. Then in 2005-06 I lost 60 of that which I regained plus 24 reaching my all time high of 319. So now I am back on the wagon and struggling.

I've read through this thread and realized most of us are in the same boat. It's one of the things I love about 3FC; we are accepted for who we are and where we are. I have managed to string together 3 fairly on-plan days so hopefully...

Penguin, it is so true about buying the package of cookies!!! My biggest downfall this past month was buying the salty chips and crackers and then eating all of them!!! What I try to do for me if I buy chocolate, my other huge weakness, is to put it away in the freezer. If it is out of my sight, then maybe I won't eat it right away and will be in a proper frame of mind to enjoy it instead of inhale it. ;)

Beverlyjoy
07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
We got our power back a couple of hours ago. :) That is my number one gratitude. We had a storm blow through Friday afternoon.. it was a micro burst - the sky got black & 80+ miles an hour winds. Things were flying through the air. We never expected or anticipated it. 300,000 households my area lost their power. Luckily my mom had power - so grateful for that.

At first the radio said our area wouldn't get power until July 3-7! To our happy surprise it came on a couple of hours ago. We kept our fridge and freezer closed - but, by the time we could find any ice it was too late for most of the food in our fridge/freezer. We threw away most of the food, except for some half thawed things in the freezer. Actually an unintentional way cleaning out the fridge. We will cook up those things today we could save.

It's all OK - we are all well. It was SO HOT & feel weary of this ordeal, though. We checked on mom and took a few things to her freezer. Spent time helping neighbors. We shot off some fireworks for the kids at dark. .

Our neighbor, however, came over yesterday morning with a dozen donuts for us and a dozen for four other families, each, on this end of the street. If find it fascinating that is what they thought DH and would need to get us through the heat and mess. Actually, it was something that didn't need cooking or refrigeration. LOL So, yesterday I ate 4 donuts and we found a restaurant for dinner where I had a salad. Today we will go to the store for fresh food and things we tossed out.

It was kind of a lost healthy food couple of days. But, I will move forward. Tonight DH is cooking up turkey tenderloin, pork tenderloin, hamburgers, turkey burgers, chicken breasts and hot dogs. A couple of families are coming over. We'll take some to my mom, eat some this week, and freeze any of the cooked food that we can.

I've learned that I am way too old and fat to live in 100 degree conditions without a fan... let alone not air conditioning. Of course, I didn't have either as a kid... But, I am a softy on it now - literally and figuratively. ;)

I hope you are all well, safe, & cool.

patchworkpenguin
07-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Peggy, good to see you here! I occasionally bake cookies or muffins then hide them in the freezer.

Beverly, I'm glad the ordeal is over and you have power again. We lost power after a storm a few weeks ago and lost everything in the fridge, also. I haven't bothered to restock a lot of 'regulars' just to see if I really want them.

Hubby had to go into work to help a new co-worker figure out the computer system. I'm working on sleeves for a sleeveless sweater I knit last fall, then determined I would be happier if it has sleeves.

One of the sites I buy my workout DVD's from is having a big sale. So I'm looking for new inspiration. I don't have many kettlebell DVDs so I'm mostly looking at those.

better health3
07-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Hi ladies. We had our power turned back on at 8:30 pm last night. WE are beyond spoiled with electricity. It is hard to sleep without fans.

How has everyone's diet changed from when they were just getting into this, vs. the "I'm serious about this, and willing to make these sacrifices...?" Thankfully, my bingeing is at a minimum--that in itself took 3 months to control it. I eat fruits and vegtables more than anything. More than not, I don't miss the extras that makes me feel yucky. There a is a significant difference when you truly are commited to the program than lying to yourself and messing around....have a happy day! :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-01-2012, 08:40 PM
:welcome: to all you NEWBIES that have joined us over here. It doesn't matter how much you have to re-lose, we are all in the same boat here. We all make mistakes and learn from them as we go along.

BEVERLYJOY ~ glad that you got your hydro back; and everyone is safe. Plus what a blessing to be able to salvage some of that meat for a huge BBQ. Yes, you can refreeze it once it's cooked. Yes, onward HO after that weekend ... what weekend? :lol:

FUNKY ~ I just grow a few things here; we get the rest on sale at two different places we shop. I love green beans and they grow so easily in little space, that's why I grow them. They are expensive to buy here fresh. I also grow a bit of salad stuff (lettuces, radishes, onions, & cherry tomatoes).

We had lovely weather here today; but we had a huge downpour the other night too with hail. Some :rain: snuck in our laundry room (I forgot that I left the window open in there to cool things down). The :hot: weather is supposed to return this week, so the A/C is going in tomorrow AM.

We had BBQ spit chicken this weekend; I had corn and salad with mine tonight. So I didn't have to cook and heat the kitchen up. Now I have to go plan what we can have for dinners for this week that won't be too hot -- salads, bunwiches, hot dogs, burgers, etc.

Have a great OP week ladies; and try to keep cool ... :flow2:

patchworkpenguin
07-01-2012, 09:44 PM
So I bought 2 DVD's: AOS Empire State and Lauren Brooks' Kbell Lightening. I'm thinking about AOS Newport but I'm not sure I need it.

I finished one sleeve of my sweater, now on to the next. Hubby had to go into work for a few hours after church, so I've been puttering around the house.

We did go out and play with the kettlebells. Hubby had been outside for a while, was already hot, and it was still 90* so we didn't stay long but it was nice to have someone to workout with.

mahtha
07-02-2012, 09:25 AM
WOW! I'm gone for two days and I think this thread grew 3 pages!

Welcome to all those who have joined us.

We had a busy weekend, but managed to spend a couple of hours kayaing yesterday. It was glorious :) I'm still really struggling with the scale. I've actually been under my calorie goal for the past few days and had all my water plus some. No loss in more than 2 weeks again. AAARRRGGGHHHH!

It's supposed to be hot, hot, hot here all week so I'm trying to plan healthy meals that don't involve heating up the house and I'm finding that challenging to do with any real variety. We had grilled chicken last night, there will be turkey burgers tonight, grilled shrimp tomorrow, steak tips Wednesday...then what? Do you guys have any favorites that are pretty low carb? (and don't involve salad since we all eat some version for lunch almost every day)

Off to be productive, I hope everyone has a fantastic day!

dgramie
07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
hint...you can make a cassorole and put in the fridge and just heat a serving at time in the microwave. I made a chicken one and hubby is eating on it. I am eating lots of fresh veggies and my tummy is kinda fussing at me for eating so many,LOL.
Its time for me to increase exercise..well start it daily!!

We got about a half inch of much needed rain last night and my grass is growing again. Guess we will have to figure a time out to mow and weedeat before it gets too hot.

patchworkpenguin
07-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Well, it didn't take me long to go off plan and eat some sugar. I made brownies last night. Then iced them. The good news is I subbed the applesauce for the oil and added some extra cinnamon to help counteract the sugar spike, at least. I only had 1 then froze the rest for a later date. TOM is this week so I blame that. :dizzy:

Hubby and I are shopping today. Fun stuff, then groceries and essentials.

Dgramie, adding coriander to veggies is supposed to help with tummy issues. It has a nice lemony flavor, and actually does seem to work.

Sue, I'm trying to eat less meat so I came up with bean tacos, I'd rather just leave the meat out than try to sub something like tofu. I start with onions/peppers, cook those down, add spinach, tomatoes, and corn. Let that heat through, then add black beans and taco season packet. I'm sure there's a lot of salt in there but I haven't looked for a taco season recipe yet. Hubby and his friend even liked it.

07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi, everyone! So glad to find this thread, I think it's just what I need. :hug:

I lost 45 lbs in 2008, then got pregnant, had my DD and immediately (within two months PP) got pregnant again with DD2. Two pregnancies in two years brought me back to my starting weight.

Then in early 2010 I started getting active on these boards. It really helped me get serious about eating well, and I lost 35 lbs within four months. AND THEN I had an emergency gallbladder removal and used that as an excuse to eat what felt "good" for a while. I avoided 3FC because I felt guilty about my choices and didn't want to face everyone who had helped support me to lose those pounds I was now gaining back. Before I knew it I was back to where I started from, plus a few extra lbs. for good measure.

I've learned a few things about myself:

1. I need to weigh myself every day. (Because I can't be trusted.)
2. I cannot go off plan for any reason. (Because I can't be trusted.)
3. I need to log my food daily. (Because I can't be trusted.)
4. I need to plan my food choices in advance. (Because I can't be trusted.)

I'm really hopeful that getting back to posting at 3FC will help me the same way it did before. I've eaten really well so far today, so that's an improvement! :D

LoseToAll
07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
I have already had pizza and chocolate this morning. I am going to have to restrict my calories the rest of the day. I am not hungry but I want to eat more just to make me feel better. I am an emotional eater and I am emotional for some reason today. I am staying close to my calorie count but not on. I know that if I eat the disgust, self loathing and disappointment will come. I know it but it doesn't make it stop.

How do you sub applesauce for oil? Is it straight across? Does it work for everything including box mixes?

Weather here is hot so we just stay in. Youngest son is a cub scout camp and my older son and I just came back from swimming lessons. Now I am doing laundry. Oh the everyday duties of a wife and mother.

4th of July is on Wed. And we are planning on going to the Avengers. We have saved up to go and we are glad it is still in the theaters. I am so excited to have my DH home. Taking days off is not an option for us because he has to take days without pay. But we will in a month or two to go to Idaho to see the King Tut exhibit. I am so excited. The kids are going to love it and so will I.

Well back to work. Have a great great OP day. Lsfunky

calluna
07-02-2012, 03:01 PM
One thing we are NOT having here this summer is a heat wave...it was sunny and warm on Saturday at 65F. Today it is cooler, though. No excuses for me to not get outside...

Weighed in at 254.2 this morning, so things are still going pretty well. Swam last night with #1 son, which is always fun and energetic.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I've learned a few things about myself:

1. I need to weigh myself every day. (Because I can't be trusted.)
2. I cannot go off plan for any reason. (Because I can't be trusted.)
3. I need to log my food daily. (Because I can't be trusted.)
4. I need to plan my food choices in advance. (Because I can't be trusted.)

:welcome: back, CITA ~ Yes, many people are learning the same thing; I must plan and log or it's a slippery slope. I prefer to stay on plan as much as possible; like you, I find it easier to stay on plan than to continually fight to get back on plan.

SUMMER MEALS ~ so far, I have come up with turkey sausages (bangers), subs or bunwiches, sandwiches, beef or chicken burgers, hot dogs (chicken), pork chops, steak, beans, omelettes, salads for me, re-heated leftovers, etc. Those meatless tacos and casserole ideas sound great too. I can get away with one micro-meal a week too (ravioli or frozen dinner, etc) for DH, but that's all. I'm thinking of cooking up some dinners in batches on the cool, rainy days and freezing them too.

guacamole
07-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Hello, everyone. Nice to see people on here conscious of the choices they are making. I am trying to be too. So far, I am on plan with my eating today.

Two things I am proud of today -

1. I went for a 30 minute walk even though it was starting to get mighty hot. I could have chucked it, but I didn't.

2. I was craving an ice cream cone and almost went out to my local shop to get one, but instead
I went for a Greek yogurt and some Kashi cereal. Still had sugars and calories - but I got a lot more nutritional bang for my buck and it kept me full longer than an ice cream would.

I am an emotional eater too, and I have been feeling emotional over the past 2 or 3 days. PMS time. I really do turn to food during this time, but I am trying to stay on plan.

patchworkpenguin
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Round 1 of shopping is over. We just got too hot to keep going and came home to rest before going to the groc store later. I remembered there's a used exercise equipment store that's I'd like to look for kettlebells. They've gotten more expensive!!!

Cita, welcome back. I remember you! :hug:

Guac, I'm trying to remember to stop and think about WHY I want to eat before I head to the kitchen. Then decided.

Calluna, no heat wave? can I come visit you!? Hubby asked the rhetorical question "why do we live here again?" as we stepped from the AC into the heat...I had an answer this time "Because you didn't like Seattle!"

LoseToAll, I sub 1/2c applesauce for 1/2 cup oil. I also use the applesauce instead of oil when I bake bread each week. Smashed bananas work also but perhaps not for sandwich bread? I had to let the brownies bake an extra 15min but its worth it.

sluggerbean
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Today has been a :crazy: Monday.

My alarm clock went off an hour late this morning, which meant that I didn't have time for my usual cup of green tea or to refill my water bottles or make breakfast. Then I had to rush out the door to make it to nursing class on time. Luckily there was very little traffic. I made a mad dash into a store to buy three 1-liter water bottles and a breakfast taco, but forgot to get tea. Mid-morning the caffeine headache struck so I bought a Dr. Pepper. :( Lunch was Wendy's Berry Almond Salad and a bottle of water. :) After class I went shopping for a new microwave because ours died yesterday. So when I get home DH has Church's Chicken for us and I gave in to temptation and had three pieces and all of the fried okra. So not exactly an on plan day. :dizzy:

Can I count being on my feet all day learning nursing skills as exercise???

I did drink all of my water for today though! :D

mahtha
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Hey everyone. :wave: I don't always check in at night but the thread is moving so fast I'm afraid I'll miss something!

I made turkey burgers with baked fries and broccoli slaw for dinner tonight. It was pretty darned good! I tried to buy turkey tips and flank steak on my way home and the store was out of both. I'm trying to increase my protein a little and really watch my carbs. I've got to do something to get the scale moving.

I walked on my lunch hour today and drank all my water. All on all a good day. I'll try to repeat again tomorrow.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Can I count being on my feet all day learning nursing skills as exercise???

Yes, I'd say so -- becuz as long as you are on your feet and moving, you are burning more calories ... :D

Well, I made the tacos tonight (since I had some shells), only I added a bit of very lean chopped center pork (about 4 oz) in ours; and even DH liked it. I added lots of veggies (chopped onion, zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, corn) and it made enuff for 8 tacos (we had 2 each). Have some leftover for another meal. :)

:cheer2: Congrats to those who had a good day -- and to the rest ... just keep going!!!

patchworkpenguin
07-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Slugger, I was in a pedometer checkin for a while. One of the ladies had just started her residency and was on her feet all day at the hospital. Her totals were close to 16,000 a day. She stopped wearing her ped because she felt knowing that made her feet hurt more. :dizzy:

Work is sending Hubby to NYC for a few days later this week. Neither one of us is real happy about it, but what can we do. Hubby figures he won't have any time to site-see or do anything fun, since he'll be there to train someone.

07-03-2012, 09:52 AM
PP - I remember you, too! :) Good to see a familiar "face"

I did okay last night, but not great. I had a dinner all planned (baked tiliapia and roasted asperagus), but by the time we got home DH was so hungry that he asked that I make something quick. So...leftovers it was. It wasn't too bad (Chicken chili with tons of veggies topped with low fat cornbread) but definitely not the low calorie meal I thought I was going to have.

I'm hoping today will go a little better. If DH claims to be too hungry to wait for dinner tonight I'm going to direct him to the fruit bowl and tell him that will have to tide him over until our fish is cooked. :)

I need to start walking again, too. But it's killer hot around here and it zaps all my motivation. Perhaps I'll get back into the grove with the 30 day shred? At least that can be done in air conditioning.

LoseToAll
07-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Perhaps I'll get back into the grove with the 30 day shred? At least that can be done in air conditioning.

Cita What is the 30 day shred? Sounds good with the fruit bowl idea.

Penguin. Hey I would still go to NYC and do the stuff myself. I have never been. I will go with you. You will have to get a big suitcase for me. Lsfunky

07-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Cita What is the 30 day shred?

In short, it's H-E-Double Hockey sticks. :D

It's an exercise video by Jillian Micheals from the biggest loser. Basically there are three levels of exercise (which I lovingly refer to as Hard, Harder, and Hardest) and the idea is that you do one per day over the course of a month, ratcheting up to the next level when you feel ready.

When I did it last time, I only did it five days a week, but I could really tell the difference in my fitness level after only a few days.

sluggerbean
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
So far so good today. Even with the craziness of yesterday, my weight did not change since Sunday so that is a good thing. I am planning on walking this evening when it is less hot.

What time of day do you all find it best to exercise?? I have done mornings and evenings. This time around I am finding evenings seem to work better for me. Thoughts? Opinions?

patchworkpenguin
07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I did 40min of high rep, low weights today

But then I ate 2 brownies with icing. I'm a bad Penguin. :( I am planning a healthy dinner so that will help a little. And NO snack tonight.

slugger, I don't really feel its important what time of day you workout, whatever is best for you and when you have time. Depending on my schedule, I workout morning, noon, afternoon, with the occasional night workout. Sometimes more than one short workout a day. If I do them in the morning I am less likely to put them off until I run out of time but some mornings I'm gone. I do notice than the later in the day I work out the less energy I have but its not a big difference.

LSfunky, I don't really want to go to NYC and its not like Hubby's work will pay for my ticket or expenses.

calluna
07-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Bike day or swim day, I ask myself...bike or swim? Swim, says I. No...I think I'll bike, says I. I haven't biked since last Friday.

So Calluna goes to get the bike with the freshly cleaned and lubed chain, puts on her little helmet and shoes, and off she goes. It is cloudy and 51F.

Mile 1: a drop here.
Mile 2: raindrop there.
Mile 3. Another raindrop.
Mile 4: pitter
Mile 5: patter
Mile 6: light rain
Mile 7: halfway point. deluge.
Mile 8-14: deluge. wind. truck with a 4th of july float stops in front of me. wind. rain.

Cold, wet calluna returns home, remarkably cheerful even after a soaking. :)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tP2-b53jSxWsqmZLZSFUie71SeJV1y5R6HRaIMJGdqw?feat=direc tlink

dgramie
07-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Happy 4th Everyone!!

patchworkpenguin
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Calluna, well, you could look at it from the point that you've biked and had your shower at the same time. ;)

I got my bread dough together this morning. FIL's Bday is tomorrow but that's the day Hubby has to leave so we are planning to stop by tonight, after I bake off the bread loaves. I know a woman who's sister just died from cancer so I'm knitting her a Prayer Shawl. I'll see her next week so I'm trying to finish it by then. Cardio for today.

mahtha
07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Good morning, everyone! :wave:

It's been a while since I was able to do personals so forgive me if I repeat myself.

Guacamole: You belong here if you feel comfortable here! I found this thread on the forums page and didn't realize until after I was posting for a while that it was in the 100 pound club. I don't plan to lose 100 pounds and I haven't gotten thrown of out the group :)

Sluggerbean, I'll second the notion that being on your feet all day counts toward your exercise. We always stress how important movement is - any movement to start - so you're ahead of the game!

Cita, I'm having a hard time exercising in the heat as well. I dont have AC in my house, so even the at-home variety is very unappealing right now. must.do something.

Rosebud, I made a chicken taco dinner in the crockpot yesterday. Nice flavor and very convenient with everyone on different schedules yesterday. It was esentially pulled chicken, tomatoes, kidney beans and corn. Served over rice it was filling.

calluna, I'm happy to hear the rain didn't dampen your spirits. :rofl: on Penguin's shower AND exercise comment! We've had a few good storms here over the past few days that have come out of nowhere. The flowers and lawns love it, the picnic and beach-goers not so much.

dgramie, I hope you and yours had a wonderful 4th.

Funky, I'll join you in NY! I love to wander the city and explore, but have to admit I'm also grateful when it's time to leave the hustle and bustle and go home to the peace and quiet of the country life. We've got to talk Caroline into being our travel agent and tour guide, she's had lots of practice!

I'm still really struggling with the scale and find myself slipping back into old habits. I'm once again not getting to my calorie targets for the day and I'm still not losing any weight. I blame some of that on the heat and lack of appetite, but starting today I'm going to be sure I eat 1350 calories a day no matter what. I think since I restarted this journey 2/1 I have gone 3 different 2-3 week stretches of not losing an ounce and last time it happened I was barely averaging 1000 calories/day. Overall, I think I have topped 1500 calories twice in the last 60 days.

I'm trying not to get discouraged, but this is incredubly frustrating. Create a calorie deficit and you'll lost weight, right? AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHH Nope :tantrum:

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Hope you all had a lovely July 4th weekend ...

... so I'm knitting her a Prayer Shawl.

PATCH ~ is that a kind of special shawl? I have heard the name, but what is it exactly?

The temps are nice here today; 78F in the shade & 72 F in the house with just a couple of fans on. We had 6" subs with lean ham & salami on wg buns last night for dinner (I had lettuce, onion, and tomato on mine too). Tonight, we have a choice of chicken super dogs or turkey sausages. I like to have mine with BBQ sauce, corn on the cob, and salad.

Hope you all have a terrific OP Thursday ... :flow2:

LoseToAll
07-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Mahtha. Sue. I have been doing calorie cycling for two weeks and it has helped with the plateau I have been stuck on. You set a calorie limit for the week, say 1500 and then plan the week to average out to 1500. Some days you eat 1200 calories and then eat 1500, then eat 1800. It helps to break the plateau and still lose weight. I have lost 2.5 in two weeks and that is a miracle for me who has lost nothing for a month. It is supposed to help metabolism and calorie stop (when your body gets used to the number of calories it is taking in and goes in to save mode - I am not sure what it is called.). Some websites say to go 14 days for 1200-1500 days then have 2000 for 1-3 days and some says to go 1200 for 4-5 dys then take a day with 200-300 calories more. That is what I have been doing the last 2 weeks and it causes havoc with scale but I am going down, I eat a liittle more on Sat or Sun and then it goes up for a few days but by Tues I am down a pound. It makes for a roller coaster ride with the scale but it seems to be working. I am going to continue to try this approach for a little and see how it works. I have only been doing this for two weeks so I am not sure about the long haul. The scale up and down is a killer but it is going down with a few days of angst. I have only been counting calories for a few months so this is new to me. MyFinessPal app has made it easy it has all the options to do this technique so I am glad to have the help.

Hope all is well with you all. Have a great day. Lsfunky

unstoppable
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I haven't gained it all back. I went from my lowest weight of 159 to 169 as of this morning. I would like to get back down into the 150s again. Good luck everyone.

unstoppable
07-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Btw. I will be leaving my tracker where it is because I plan on getting this weight off

patchworkpenguin
07-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Hubby left for NYC today. He had a brief layover in Detroit so the joke is he could try both Chicago and NY style pizza in one trip. My parents took me out to lunch, which was nice and broke up the day a little. The neighborhood kept up the fireworks until 1am then Hubby got up at 5am, so I got up with him for a few minutes, then never got back to sleep. Sigh. I did manage about an hour nap this afternoon.

I did 50min of kettlebells today and 40min of cardio yesterday.

Rosebud, the shawl itself can be any pattern or yarn i choose, but as I knit the shawl I pray for the person it goes to, by name if I know them, or just in general if I"m going to donate it to my church's ministry to be given to a member going through a rough time such as illness or bereavement. Just a reminder that they are cared about. Similar to the Cancer Caps.

Unstoppable, Welcome, glad to have you join us. Your name reminded me of Nat King Cole's song Unforgettable, which I'm now humming. :D

Sue, I know you are frustrated but hang in there!

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-05-2012, 08:18 PM
:welcome: UNSTOPPABLE ~ that's a nice, positive name; add in PENGUIN's "Unforgettable" and that's a force to be wreckoned with for sure ... good luck! :lol:

PATCH ~ that's a great idea, and I'm sure your friend will love it!

SUE ~ yes, you may have to increase your calories, and/or try cycling to get things moving again.

Oh, I just heard a bit of thunda; think a storm may be on it's way. That's good becuz the temps rose quite a bit later in the day and it would be nice to cool down for the night. We had turkey sausages for dinner tonight; I had an ear of corn and a romaine salad with my own cherry tomatoes in it. :D

dgramie
07-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Just - I have a window seal full of cherry tomatoes they are really good tasting this year. My neighbor gave us 2 tomatoes last night so that should carry me until I have more ripe myself.

My scales are ugly right now but Tom is here. I cant wait for him to leave for good. His visits are more frequent now and he is staying longer each time. Dr said welcome to the way it will be for the next few yrs. JOY!! He also said if I want to lose weight I need to do it now before Tom leaves because he says its so much harder after he leaves.

We have 2 more days above 100 and then a cool down is on its way. WooHOO

mahtha
07-06-2012, 08:49 AM

Welcome, unstoppable! It's nice to have you join us.

Funky, My issue is really getting enough calories lately. I haven't been particularly hungry and when I've saved up for a big meal or a splurge then not eaten it I end up way under goal for the day. I know I should probably spread my calories more evenely through the day, but I don't like eating much in the morning and I want to eat with the rest of the family in the evening. Let's see how upping my calories little does...

He also said if I want to lose weight I need to do it now before Tom leaves because he says its so much harder after he leaves.
Uh oh. This could be a big part of my problem TOM had been really irregular for a while and last Dr visit I had the blood test and the news "Don't be surprised if you never have another period again".

I am discouraged, but I'm not giving up. I finished yesterday at 1405 calories and did a 30 minute walk. If the weather holds today we'll kayak then have a late dinner.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Beverlyjoy
07-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi... I MUST get out of the 'tomorrow' syndrome. If not now, when? I know that's kind of trite... but, it's really true. I will keep trying. I made a plan for today. I am going to try to get 'with it' and push through to have a healthy day.

I am starting to 'fret' about a birthday party for a our little neighbor on Sunday. I need to get a plan in mind. I know there will be sloppy joes and bbq meatballs, cake, & ice cream. Probably more... hopefully, some veggies, too.

I will carry on. Thanks for listening.

thelootlady
07-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Hey Beverly - don't fret too much.. it sounds like you have a plan, just by talking about it.
The first time I lost all my weight - I worked at an indoor playground where is was birthday party, cake and pizza offerings every day, many times a day!
So - yes while tempting.. I would always think - IF I am going to spend some of my calories on something sweet - it will be better than kids cake or greasy Pizza. (like a glass of wine or good chocolate?) those thoughts would help get me through all the offers by being able to politely decline.

Beverlyjoy
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks, Lootlady. I think the most important thing when facing unhealtheir foods is to go in with a plan.

I found this today:

Sean Anderson (a three hundred pound loser) said:
'You're taking a stand against the patterns of the past. You're deciding in grand fashion to choose change. Your iron-clad decision is powerful, unbreakable and a true relief. This time isn't the others. When this decision is made and your transformation becomes top priority, suddenly you feel lighter. For me, it was the first time I took charge of myself. I was choosing change before change chose me and come what may, I was going to succeed. It was decided. It was chosen. It was a stand like no other because every excuse, rationalization or circumstance I allowed to shape me before, suddenly ran into a steel curtain zone where they were immediately rendered powerless.'

It says alot.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-06-2012, 09:48 PM
BEVERLYJOY ~ Thanks for sharing Sean's thoughts with us ... I agree that you must be -- DECIDEDLY DECIDED, CONSISTENTLY COMMITTED, and PERSISTENTLY PERSEVERE!!!

It was a stand like no other because every excuse, rationalization or circumstance I allowed to shape me before, suddenly ran into a steel curtain zone where they were immediately rendered powerless.'

... love that! It really spoke to me. I will remember this the next time I try to rationalize an unhealthy food choice, esp when I'm shopping. :o

patchworkpenguin
07-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Did I not post yesterday?

Hubby comes home today. He's been busy teaching so has had no time to site-see. My eating hasn't been as good as it could have been but I haven't been eating everything in sight as comfort as I have in the past. So I can claim a little progress. While I was cleaning house yesterday, I dropped the vacuum cleaner on the arch of my bare foot, despite the icepack it left a bruise and hurts a little. Any excuse to skip a cardio workout. :dizzy: And I'm up a few lbs but its TOM so hopefully they will disappear next week.

sluggerbean
07-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Good morning everyone! I didn't eat on plan yesterday so I am up a couple of pounds, but I did drink all of my water and I walked 2.5 miles. :D Every little bit helps. The hubby & I are heading out today to get an exercise bike for the house. I am excited!! My plan is to use it while watching tv. :ebike:

Have a healthy and happy Saturday!!

Beverlyjoy
07-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Yesterday was an on plan day. I am very grateful. I did plan and write it all down, left a bite, drank lots of water, did my exercises and avoided DH's candy.

I am giving myself credit for really wanting some of DH's candy last night - right at bedtime - BUT I used my resistence techniques for not eating it. I know it's down stairs in his office - in his desk. I would have had 'sneek' down to the basement and search for it. I just wasn't going there. I am very very grateful. You see.... I wasn't willing to leave that candy alone two days ago. But, I was last night. YAY

Judy Lynn
07-07-2012, 12:52 PM
I think I belong here with you ladies. I have lost and regained so many times I have lost count. The thing is, I know how to lose weight, I just can't seem to keep it off. It's depressing. :( I am currently about 255, 20 pounds less than my all-time high. I feel awful. I look awful. My knees hurt, and the stairs at work are a chore. I need to get back to feeling good - physically and mentally.

I am in peri-menopause and my hormones are all over the map. You never know what to expect. To add to that my Mom passed away in March, and I am still shell-shocked over that.

This morning I got my butt out the door and went for a walk, and that was a real pick me up. Just had a bowl of yogurt with fresh bluberries. I am going to get my weight back under control and learn how to keep it off. Last night I had a dream about a friend from about 25 years ago, which is wierd because I haven't heard from her or thought of her forever. Anyway, in the dream she was going to some sort of weight loss psychologist. so maybe that is something I need to do. Do they even exist?

I can remember what it felt like to be light, healthier, stonger, and I want to get back there.

calluna
07-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Hello, ladies! Welcome, Judy Lynn, and glad to see you join us. :D

Beverlyjoy, GOOD JOB! :hug: I am a total sucker for sweets, so I know how hard that can be.

Did my workout today - bike - and the scale was at 252. How is everyone this fine Saturday?

HealthyMeWannabe
07-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Hi folks! I lost 1.6 this week, bringing me to 19.6 lbs. total gone. I'm making progress but it's a good bit slower than I would like. I'm going to exercise more this week and see how that affects the scale.

patchworkpenguin
07-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Morning all!

With Hubby back home I thought I'd sleep well last night, but no such luck I had a hard time falling asleep then woke up about every two hours. Its threatening rain this morning, with a few drops here and there. I asked Hubby if he'd like to try another Kbell workout this weekend and he agreed. :D

I'm down about .6 since my TOM gain so I'm happy to see a downward tread again.

Yesterday I did 73min of circuit training.

calluna
07-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Good morning! I did an hour and a bit of biking yesterday - it would have been nice to go longer, since it was warm, but it was also raining and rain become tedious after a while.

Scale said 251 this morning - down 1. Total loss last week was 3.2.

dgramie
07-09-2012, 07:29 AM
My scales are at a new high...252. That means im only down 54lbs from my highest and it up 42 from my lowest. Im pretty upset and I know its time to straighten up and fly right. I dont want to go up to 300 again ever. My knees hurt again and I know its from the regain.

07-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Happy Monday, everyone! Hope you all had good weekends. Mine was...semi on plan? Definitely not my best, but I'm looking at this weekend as a new beginning.

I've spent a lot of time researching the Whole 30, and have decided to give it a try. I have a few issues like severe excema and low energy that I feel might be helped by elimentating wheat from my diet. Whole 30 restricts more than just wheat, but I'm also interested to see how my body does without sugar. DH is going to try it with me, which I'm excited about. We'll keep each other accountable!

Our 30 days starts as soon as I go grocery shopping, and once we finish up the last bits of contraband (bread, milk...can't afford to waste what I already paid for!).

patchworkpenguin
07-09-2012, 11:01 AM
The highs for the next week are going to be below 90* and its supposed to rain! sounds wonderful!

Hubby went out to My Parents house to work on the project car with Dad. Since I"m not an early bird I stayed home and slept late. I finished a sweater and am looking around for a next project.

mahtha
07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Good morning everyone ! :wave:

JudyLynn, Welcome!

HealthyMeWannabe, Calluna and Penguin, congrats on the nice losses! Seeing that scale is so motivating, right? Keep up the good work!

dgramie, I know the gains can bereally discouraging, but you're still down 54 pounds from your high. Remind yourself what you did when you were so successful before and begin adding those things back into your daily plans. You can do this. Go dgramie, go! :cheer:

Cita, I'm not familiar with whole 30 but I'm curious to hear how you do with it. I have pretty severe excema flares in the winter and never associated them with diet so I'd love to hear if that helps. It's nice that DH is onboard with you. A plan like that seems especially tough if you're going it alone.

I had a mostly OP weekend. Saturday involved a lot of errands and only 1064 calories. Sunday I was much better about hitting target at 1364 calories but it included pizza for dinner :O Still no movement at the scale.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day!

07-09-2012, 11:55 AM
PP - Yay for rain! We are desperate for it here. It's so dry we haven't needed to mow our lawn for over three weeks because it's brown and dead. A very strange occurance in our neck of the woods. And congrats on finishing that sweater!!

Mahtha - Whole30 is basically 30 days without grains, dairy, legumes, or sugar. The idea is that everyone reacts differently to different types of foods. For some, eating wheat might not be a problem, for others wheat might cause cellular inflamation which creates a whole host of issues in your body. The 30 days basically removes all potential problems from your system, then you can slowly (one at a time) reintroduce things into your diet to see how you react.

A girl I work with had excema that couldn't be controlled with steroid creams (same issue I have) and has been eating glutten free for over a year. In that year her excema completey cleared and hasn't returned. I figure it's worth a shot! Maybe I'll save money on special lotions. :)

dgamie - I know how you feel! I think restarting is harder than starting from fresh because it feels like you are "re-doing" the work. But 54 lbs. lost is SUCH AN ACCOMPLISHMENT! It shows you that you are more than capable of moving forward. I think it's easy to feel the guilt of situations like this, but not as easy to see that recognizing the issue and choosing to do something about it is a huge step in the right direction. That you caught it before you got too far is even better.

LoseToAll
07-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Sluggerbean. How is the new bike? Love to hear all about it.

Beverlyjoy. Awesome on the candy. I have no willpower when it comes to chocolate. Sometimes I get so obsessed with it I have to have it. Especially after meals. It must come from growing up with having desert every night. Not a great thing. And I have not repeated it with my own kids. But I sneak it sometines and I try to work it into my calories. That is new in the last three months I have never been accountable to myself like this before, it seems to be working. That is good.

dgramie. Look at how much you have lost and don't count where you were. Remember we are restarting not rebeating yourself up again. You have got let it go. Forgive yourself. Try something new. A new exercise or a new counting App. Then it will not feel like the same old thing and you will have something new to focus on. I think that will help.

I went over my calories Friday and Sat. My kids asked me to make cookies Friday and they didn't even need to talk me into it. Chocolate addiction again. I had two cookies Friday and two Sat. Sunday I was up two pounds. How can that happen. Now I will work for the next two weeks getting it off. Yeaterday I had no appetite so I was below calories that was good I think it was depression in the gain and the Mother-in-law over. I haven't gotten over her mean comments from the mothers day meanness. I wonder if I will this was the first time I have seen her or talked to her since then and she knows I was upset but does not care. Oh well I guess I do not need her right.

Hope everyone's day goes well. Have a great OP day. Funky

HealthyMeWannabe
07-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks mahtha! :)

I had a great weekend and was on plan even though I had pizza yesterday. I planned for it and it was yummy!

I work for a food distributor so there's ALWAYS food around the office. More often than not it's the unhealthy kind. I just started this new position a week ago. In 6 days now there have been doughnuts and muffins in the office 4 our of 6 days. :yikes: But you know something cool? I haven't been tempted to eat them at all. I have successfully avoided them! :cheer: this morning I ate my apple while everyone else was scarfing down muffins. Go me!

My office also has a gym on the property so during my lunch break I often will go up there to walk on the treadmill or ride the stationary bike. I did that today for a half hour with one of my co-workers. She recently had a baby and is trying to regain her prepregnancy shape. Me, I'm just trying to find a shape that isn't round. ;) But it was nice to have a gym buddy today!

calluna
07-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Good morning! Looks like lots of on-plan people here today. :) It has finally cleared up and is sunny out, though it is also pretty chilly this morning (52 now, so it's warming up).

Had a good workout day yesterday - running (okay...jogging in my case!) and swimming. Both fun, but I was surely ready to sleep last night at bedtime.

Healthyme, my office also tends to have a lot of junk food floating around. Sometimes it is really hard to fail to notice it is there. :|

gailr42
07-09-2012, 04:15 PM
"On the internet no one knows you are typing with your beak"

This has got to be one of the funniest remarks I have ever read...I know I must belong here...

Until I turned 40, I was very thin. Since then [the last 30 years], it has been a constant struggle.

Unless I am dieting, I weigh myself very infrequently. This time when I weighed, I was within one pound - 1 - of leaving Onederland!!! Ho-lee Smokes!

So, here I am again. I have read through all your posts, and I feel your joys and your pain. Let's hope we can do this together.

Judy Lynn
07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Hello all ... thank you all for the warm welcome. It helps to have a safe place on the net to call home, and share our struggles and triumphs.

I had a mostly good weekend. Except that we went to my Dad's for dinner and I indulged in dessert. It wasn't even that good. I should have asked for a tiny piece so as not to insult him. He is trying so hard with the household stuff now that he is alone.

I have walked three times now in the morning for 30 minutes. It feels so good and refreshing. It is just hard to get my butt out the door. I used to be a regular walker, and did 3 miles every morning before work. I want to get back to that.

Tonight my DH has golf league and won't be home until late. I am going to go home and work on some fun photography stuff, and make a nice healthy dinner. I already have some leftover chicken breasts, so I just have to whip up the rest of the meal.

Gail, welcome. If I am ever in Onederland again I will do a happy dance! it's all about perspective, I guess.

gailr42
07-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Judy Lynn, I don't know how to figure it out, but from my perspective at less than 5'2", you might be better off than I am! I would kill to be 5'10". Thanks for the welcome.

patchworkpenguin
07-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Gail I got my 'typing with your beak' line from someone on an exercise forum but they had a dog version. "On the internet no one knows you're a dog". I think it was originally from a comic strip?

Judy, it sounds like you have a good plan for the day. But what is it about desserts that I'll eat them even if they aren't that good? I'm not really enjoying it but I keep eating anyway?

sluggerbean
07-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Funky-I did 40 minutes on the bike this afternoon after dinner... I loved it!!! My DH & I are seriously thinking about participating in the Hotter 'n **** Hundred in Wichita Falls, Texas, in August of next year and this could really help me train. Tonight I did 9 miles in 40 minutes!! :ebike:

Yesterday & today were totally off-plan days for me & I didn't drink all of my water. I am doing some emotional eating because I am frustrated with some of the bureaucratic red tape crap for school. I am trying to let it go, but just when I think it is finally going to be resolved, I run into another obstacle. GRRR....:tantrum:

Have a great evening everyone!!

dgramie
07-10-2012, 07:25 AM
ok day yesterday..didnt drink enough water,calories were good.

dgramie
07-10-2012, 08:43 AM
:trampo: drug that old thing out and jumped for a bit on it, wasnt as long as I would have liked but I know Im out of shape and will have to slowly increase my time.

gailr42
07-10-2012, 09:55 AM
It is always hot in the summer in the desert [Duh! I probably don't need to tell you that]. Anyway, it is going to be really hot today - like 111*F. That is amost 44*C. I went out and walked this morning before the sun came over the hills.

I've been eating appropriately, drinking my water and this morning I did ten laps of my 200 foot driveway.

Exercise is the hardest thing for me. I can't say that I ever enjoy it, but as I get in better shape, I can tolerate it.

patchworkpenguin
07-10-2012, 10:42 AM
A nice lady is picking me up today, we are meeting some other women from Bible Study for lunch, then all going to the church to set up the rooms for Wed's Retreat and Luncheon.

I have to make something today to take to the potluck lunch, but I haven't decided what yet. Probably cookies. Kettlebells for later.

Gail, I don't mind the heat so much as I do the humidity, then when we get both together and get a crazy heat index, I just stop keeping track and stay indoors. You walk outside and your lungs don't want to breathe the air, you start to sweat but it never dries off because there's so much water in the air it has no place to go.

Slugger, I haven't been very good about sticking to plan either for the past week. I need to snap out of it.

Dgramie, Good job! I had a mini tramp for a while but I have horrible balance due to vision problems and I felt like I was falling off all the time. I gave it away.

gailr42
07-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Our low humidity definitely goes on my gratitude list. Although when it gets over 110, it's just hot. I always feel like I am breathing syrup when I go some place with high humidity.

I have to admit: since I have been eating better and getting a little exercise, I am feeling much better. I don't know if it is my age, or what. I never felt any different before when I cut out the junk.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-10-2012, 03:00 PM
:welcome: to the Newbies joining us this week ...

Gee, I posted last on Friday, and two pages have gone by. I had a glitch or something becuz a post I made disappeared last night then I couldn't get back into the site; but it seems to be working better today though. I had a bit of a munchy weekend, but managed to keep my total calories down with smaller meals, (thank goodness) but I don't want to repeat that again. Back on track yesterday (actually a bit low), but should be more normal today.

We have had some nice temps here -- in the 70's F and cool nights; it will be getting :hot: for the next few days though. WE planted some more bushes and beans this AM. DH also dug the remaining holes for tomorrow, then we are finally finished. We got fed up of waiting for the guy to bring the sand, but turns out there is lots of sand there already ... yeah!

Continue the good work ladies ... :cheer2:

Judy Lynn
07-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Just popping in to say Hi! I am getting back into the swing of things, although not perfect. I am enjoying my 6:00 a.m. walks. So peaceful out that time of day, and the dog likes it too. I think she is as out of shape as I am. So far DH has not been joining us. Have to think of a way to entice him out the door with us as he needs the exercise too.

I think losing weight should help us all with the heat, slim people don't feel it as much. Mnd you they feel the cold in the winter worse.

patchworkpenguin
07-10-2012, 09:02 PM
At church, we ended up re-arranging a room full of chairs. There were only 3 of us, I was the youngest, and one lady had just had a knee replaced. So guess who did most of the work? Its not like I don't need the exercise! ;)

I ended up making a pasta and veggie salad rather than cookies. I thought it was best to avoid temptation. My mother made brownies and it going to give me some of hers. :dizzy:

I did about 35-40min of kettlebells

Does anyone know if I can copy a workout off Youtube and put it on a DVDr so I can do it in the living room on the big TV rather than in the cramped office?

sluggerbean
07-10-2012, 10:04 PM
penguin - glad to hear you did not make cookies; those are my true weakness! I hope your retreat goes well!

gail - I am finding too that after being away from junk when I eat it I feel physically feel bad.

Stayed on plan today; drank all of my water; walked 2.6 miles in 40 minutes; and best of all I did not give into temptation!!!:carrot:

calluna
07-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Did well today - had a little sodium bounce this morning, but I think it will be fine tomorrow. Rest day yesterday (planned) and today ran (jogged) 4.5 miles.

gailr42
07-11-2012, 01:01 AM
My car thermometer said 99* when I pulled into my carport at a little after 9 pm tonight. Yikes! I might not go out and walk tomorrow morning if it is still that hot. If I do, my DH may find my bones bleaching in the driveway.

I went to dinner with a girlfriend. We had Salvadoran Pupusas which seemed to me to be kind of like a quesadilla. I looked it up and apparently they have about 300 calories each and I only had one which brings me in under budget, so to speak.

dgramie
07-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Thank God our heat wave broke, last week we hit 111 ( with no humidity,,unheard of in ky) and then the next few days 109 with humidity. THe 90s feel great after that kind of heat. I need to get out today and water the garden and do some pots. My poor pansies are done and mine normally last all summer long. Guess I will just wait for mums to come out in the stores. I love mums and cant wait to enjoy the bright yellow ones.

I did great yesterday and should be fine again today. I have company coming tomorrow and know we will eat out. Im asking for a box up front if we dont split the meal.
Going to jump again today and maybe even get some walking outside in today since its only about 90.

07-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Good morning, everyone!

Gailr42 - I know exactly what you mean about not enjoying excersise. I want to like it more than I actually do. Very jealous of those that love it! I haven't found anything yet that I don't dread doing. :(

PP - Yay for not making the cookies! I know that would have been WAY too tempting for me.

Dgramie - Isn't it crazy that 90 feels cool? It's the same way here, although I hear it is going to heat up again after today. *sigh*

I've been doing okay so far on Paleo. I have one little cheat each morning (having a hard time giving up my morning bagel. I don't like eggs and the idea of eating meat or salad for breakfast turns my stomach) but other than that, it's been much less difficult than I though not to have sugar, wheat, and dairy. It helps that my DH is doing this with me, so we both have a good support system.

I haven't been able to weigh in yet because my scale's batteries went kaput.
DH replace them this morning, though, so I'll start my daily weigh-ins tomorrow.

I might be imagining it, but I do feel a small difference already in the way my pants fit this morning. Very small difference, but nice to have since I haven't had a scale.

calluna
07-11-2012, 11:13 AM
yay! Sodium bounce went away! Scale is down a little bit too, which is pretty satisfying.

Your heat stories remind me of last winter here. We had a cold snap (Digression: why is heat a wave and cold a snap?) that lasted for weeks and had us at -20 to -30F. When it finally warmed up to 0F again we were all feeling like it was a heat wave!

angieand2girls
07-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi everyone! I know this thread has been up and running for a while, but I'd like to jump in here as a newbie. This thread fits me sooo well. I had lost it all and then gained it ALL back. I'm so embarrassed and disappointed in myself. But beating myself up wont' get the weight back off so here I am! I'm hoping to stick around and get to know all you wonderful ladies (and gents if there are any here lol). :)

-Angela

gailr42
07-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Cita, the one thing I have done that helps with the exercise is to listen to audio books while I am walking or whatever. Of course, there are some exercises where that wouldn't work. I think some people listen to music, but that isn't distracting enough for me. I totally don't want to know that I am exercising. LOL!

It is very hot again this morning. I slept later than I usually do, but I did make it outside and do ten more laps of my driveway. It is so much harder now that I am older. It's going to take a while to get back in shape. However, I am very proud of myself for getting out there.

Matilda08
07-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Hello everyone! Im hanging in there i Im at 230 today which is 13lbs away from my lowest.:)

patchworkpenguin
07-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Our Bible Study program was nice and the luncheon was yummy! Nice to see everyone and catch up.

Angela, jump on in! Very true, being angry won't help.

Matilda, welcome, glad to have you join us.

Calluna, good question! Wave vs snap

Cita, I'm not on Paleo but I'm not much of a breakfast person. I've discovered that I can have a glass of milk and/or fruit which tides me over for a few hours until more of a brunch, when I'm happier about eating. Maybe something similar would work for you,.

Dgramie, Here in TN, its raining and our heat index is even below the 90's. Feels much better outside, but I'm still hibernating in the AC

Gail, your dinner sounds interesting.

LoseToAll
07-11-2012, 04:48 PM
I am down a pound and then I messed it all up by eating a huge amount of ice cream with my kids. So much I do not even know how many calories to estimate. I am just going to have fruit for dinner and hopefully I can get over the damage tomorrow.

I hate exercise too. I always say I will do it and I never do. No willpower.

I have noticed that my sides feel thinner and my husband mentioned it today too. Isn't that great. What a nice thing to happen today. Other than the ice cream incident. Today has been great.

100's for the next few days then down to the 90's for the weekend. All the grass is brown but the bright side is there is no mowing. I have upped the watering but I am scared of the bill. I didn't put a garden in just for the fear of the watering bill.

Well have a great day. Funky

mahtha
07-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Hi everyone :wave:

It's busy busy here and I'm just popping in to say hi. No movement at the scale for going on 3 weeks. :tantrum: but I was in a group picture today and for the first time in many years I did not want to tear it up. Small victories, but a victory none the less.

Welcome to the newbies and congrats to all those staying OP despite all the challenges of life.

07-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Good morning, everyone!

Finally hopped on the scale this morning...looks like I've lost 4 lbs. so far this reset. I'm feeling good about that, but I know I'll never keep that level of loss going for too long.

It's going to be a busy day at work today. Hoping that keeps me distracted from the treats in the breakroom...

sluggerbean
07-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Good morning! :wave:

I was officially at 242.8 this morning which puts me up one pound for the week. I am ok with this, considering the total meltdown/binge of Sunday & Monday. I am happy with putting together two on-plan days in a row and trying to take it one day at a time. :)

patchworkpenguin
07-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Yesterday evening I did Jessica Smith's Barefoot walk off her website. http://jessicasmithtv.com/ I was able to do it in the cramped office, yay, but has to stop following the arm movements when I smacked a lamp and the shade went flying.:mad:

I decided to switch to my 'summer' schedule of 30min cardio and 30min weights every day either together or split morning and evening. I did miles 1& 2 from Leslies's 4RBM and Firm's Sculpted Hips, Butt, and Thighs with Tracie.

Beverlyjoy
07-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi friends... checking in. Food has been so, so. I did manage to lose some of the weight I put back on. I also hurt my knee somehow. This is discouraging. So I am doing RICE. If it's not better in a couple of days, I"ll check in with the doctor.

Take care now.

angieand2girls
07-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi ladies! Everyone is staying so positive despite the many obstacles we face and that's great! Good job everyone! :)

I'm heading to Chicago tomorrow with my two girls and my sister. The Taste of Chicago has started but I'll try to stay far away LOL. My oldest daughter is turning 6 so I'll be taking the girls to Navy Pier. That should be fun. I'm brining my computer and a workout DVD to do what I can in the hotel. I don't want to miss a scheduled workout!

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm bringing my computer and a workout DVD to do what I can in the hotel. I don't want to miss a scheduled workout!

Welcome, ANGIE ~ wow, now that's dedication; have a fun trip ... :)

Patch ~ I watched Jessica's video; it is fun & light. I could do the arm movements ... :lol:

I tried to post earlier but it didn't work so am trying again ... let's see if this works!

BEVERLYJOY ~ hope your knee feels better soon; is it me, or are you hurting yourself a lot lately. Are you overdoing it, like me? I strained my lower back today pruning my Peony bushes this AM, so I will be resting for the remainder of the week. What a pair we are ... :hug:

CONGRATS ~ to those who are losing lbs & inches; and to the rest, just keep at it ... our temps didn't get as high as they said (83F) and we have a nice breeze out there too. We just had a wee sprinkle of :rain: -- we'll take it. I hope the weather stays this way through the weekend. Let's all "BOO" the weather people -- I'm really trying hard to ^pray^ away the extreme heat for all us ... ;)

Oh yes, and my eating is much better this week -- yahoo! :flow2:

Judy Lynn
07-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Happy Thursday everyone! My office is so darn hot this afternoon, I thought I would take a break and post on here. Been watching the clock for the last hour anyway.

I managed to get DH to come on my walk with me this morning. :carrot: Makes the time go faster when you have someone to talk to.

We went to dinner at Tony Roma's last night, but I only ate half my meal and boxed up the rest and will have it tonight. Yay! No cooking. Not that I cook much anyway. I hate cooking dinner after work. I don't mind it as much on the weekend.

patchworkpenguin
07-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Last night, I went to a new Knit Night held at a local Panera and met some new friends. Always nice to meet people with a common interest.

Its still overcast with the occasional sprinkle of rain; at least the weather is cooler and the rain has a chance to sink into the dry ground as opposed to being dumped so fast as to cause a flash flood.

Cardio and housecleaning for today.

sluggerbean
07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Spending time out of town with the son. Send good thoughts my way so that I can stay somewhat on plan. :crossed: I brought my water with me and am planning on walking when we get home later this afternoon.

Have a great Friday the 13th!!!! :devil:

07-13-2012, 10:49 AM
PP: Yay for rain! Send some our way, m'kay? :)

Angie: Sounds like a great trip! Chicago is such a great walking town (at least, downtown) that you should be able to get plenty of excercise in. Have a great time!

JudyLynn: I hear you on not liking to cook once you get home! I've been trying to cook a bunch of stuff on Sunday so that I just have to heat it up once we get home. Leftovers are the best, and Tony Roma's sounds great. :)

I'm down a bit more this morning. Based on the number of times I've been in the bathroom over the past 24 hours I can tell you without a doubt that it is water weight. Even so, I'll take it! Busy day at work planned again for the day, then lots of work around the house over the weekend.

It's my oldest DD's birthday on Monday (turning 4 years old) and she's requested to go to Chuckie Cheese to celebrate. Their salad bar is just plain awful (think limp lettuce) so I'm thinking I'll pack a little snack for myself in my purse (nuts, maybe) so that I'm not tempted to eat more than one or two slices of pizza.

calluna
07-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Hello, all! Happy Friday! It has poured rain here for most of this week. I tried running in the rain with a friend last night, but it didn't work out so well.

Scale was at 250.2 this morning. Almost to a new decade. :)

My mom is flying in tonight! She'll be here for a week. I know she'll be supportive of my workouts and eating choices, but I still need to be very careful. #1 son has his birthday next week, too.

brwloss
07-13-2012, 11:36 AM
thanx :)

Matilda08
07-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I finally made it back into the 220s thank u jesus! Now I have to stick with it so that scale continues to go down:) Have a great weekend everyone

Elladorine
07-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Only 2 more pounds to go and I'll have officially lost all the weight I gained back last fall and winter (which was nearly 25 pounds)! :carrot: I'm hoping I can do it by the end of the month. :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-13-2012, 05:10 PM
:bravo: to ELLA & MATILDA ~ you both are doing fabulously, darlings -- I'm so happy for you and you know it ... ;)

Lotsa good stuff going down in this thread. We had a big :rain: last night too, so no watering for me today. My pain is all gone in my back; I know that some special friends prayed really hard for me and I know that helped too. Thanx ... :hug:

My eating went much better this week; stayed on plan and under my daily cals -- so happy for that ... phew! Been a busy week, but we are taking it easy this weekend; couldn't have timed that better with these higher temps. Didn't quite reach 90 F but was still bearable indoors anyways.

Have a FANTASTICALLY OP FRIDAY EVERYONE ... :flow2:

patchworkpenguin
07-13-2012, 11:37 PM
FIL had to go to the hospital today for breathing problems. They are doing so many tests he'll be there until Monday or Tuesday. No one wants to spend a week at the hospital. Since he has had a stroke if he's there MIL has to be there also, so she'll have to miss work. but at least he's doing better.

I was a bad Penguin and didn't do my cardio but we had to walk the length of the hospital twice each way to get to FIL's room. Then we got lost, ended up the on the wrong floor and took the stairs so I got some walking in, anyway.

sluggerbean
07-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Penguin-sorry to hear about your FIL; sending prayers up for him & your family. :hug:

Elladorine & Matilda-keep up the good work!! :carrot:

Well, I did not do so well yesterday. I did drink all of my water :), but DH ordered pizza (:devil:) for dinner and I have not yet mastered that demon. Then I felt slightly sick and didn't exercise. :(

But for the first time, I forced myself to log the overeating instead of just ignoring it :o, and realized that yes I went over on calories by 600, but if I had cut down on the number of pieces I had eaten and added a salad, I would have been within my calorie range for the day :fr:. I learned from this that I can enjoy pizza, but must make some wise choices with it. So now I am filing this knowledge to use when I am faced with the pizza demon again. :cool:

patchworkpenguin
07-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I did 40min upper body weights. I have 30 min of cardio planned for later because I just got too hot.

Slugger, I've started making pizza at home once a week from one of those roll out wheat crusts. Its healthier, I can control the ingredients and in my Humble opinion its much better. I switch out the ingredients from Italian, Mexican { black beans, corn, taco seasoning} or just add leftover chicken and BBQ sauce. But good job on your realization!

patchworkpenguin
07-14-2012, 06:33 PM
I did 33 min of interval cardio. I really prefer steady state but this was kinda fun.

Chubbygirl253
07-14-2012, 09:00 PM
My weekend is going great. I had an amazing 2 hour workout (50 mins on the :woops: and 1 hr 10 mins of water aerobics :swim: )

Diet is going really well too. (WW) :broc:

I'm just frustrated because I haven't lost a pound since tuesday! But I made the decision to start weighing only twice a week (sun/thurs) starting tomorrow :crossed:

My sis and I share a house and she is dieting too. But she's kind of fallen off the wagon and doing a lot of snacking. I don't judge but I need to remind myself I can't afford to eat the things I see her having that looks so yummy. She made some smores in the microwave and I had to walk away. Chocolate is my weakness!

Going to go make dinner now. Having cheese ravioli with diced tomatoes and zuchinni and a salad. yumm

Everyone keep enjoying your weekend and keep up all the good work! hugs!

gailr42
07-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I wish I could make myself leave the scale alone. It is sort of an obsession...

I have been sticking to my 1000 - 1300 calorie plan and doing circuits of my drive way. I am really, really out of shape.

Take heed, you cute, young things...if you don't keep up the exercise, you won't be able to do it at all when you get older.

dgramie
07-15-2012, 08:50 AM
struggling!! Had company and days off from work. I dont do well without my routine!! Too much freedom and too many choices when I am not at home. Back at it hard today!

patchworkpenguin
07-15-2012, 11:16 AM
FIL seems to be much better. A lot of his tests came back borderline, but he seems to be retaining fluids since they added another diuretic but its summer so everyone is pushing fluids so no one gets dehydrated. We'll have to wait for the rest of the tests.

Speaking of retaining fluids I'm down 1.6lbs overnight!

sluggerbean
07-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Stayed on plan yesterday, exercised, & drank all my water and was down only 0.2 pounds this morning. It is what it is. I just have to keep on keeping on. Have a great Sunday everyone!!

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Take heed, you cute, young things...if you don't keep up the exercise, you won't be able to do it at all when you get older.

GAIL ~ I understand completely. Sometimes, I want to shout from the rooftops to all these young folks who have the world by the tail, so2speak -- stop whining & complaning; get off your tuff; and start living your life. While you are out there enjoying it, you will get back into shape. DO IT NOW -- don't wait until your body starts hurting and/or you get ill. Anybody :listen: listening??? ;)

The temps are nicer today; in the mid-70's which is still good. I put some chicken & riblets with veggies in a homemade BBQ sauce in the crockpot for our dinner (so as not to heat up the house). Made enuff for two days so we can just reheat the leftovers up. It smells really nice in here ... mmm!

Eating went well this week & weekend; so happy about that. Back in my groove again -- yeah! Have a wonderful OP day ... :flow1:

gailr42
07-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Until I noticed that I am going to be 70 next month and exercise is getting a little more difficult, I thought I was invincible! Ha!

I did 11 circuits of my driveway, drank water, and ate on plan except for a handful of animal crackers. A handful turns out to be worth about 200 calories, and made me want more more more! I got out my step ladder and put them up on the highest shelf in the food cabinet. My DH can get them if he wants some. I know I can get them, but I am fairly easy to discourage.

We bought 20lbs of peaches at a pick your own orchard. They are very good and I have eaten lots of them. Personally, I didn't get fat eating peaches, but I did read on here where someone gained on fruit.

I bought this water bottle at Costco. They only had them for a short while. It has really helped me with the water drinking. I drink water anyway, but this makes it convenient.

http://www.amazon.com/INSULATED-STAINLESS-STEEL-WATER-BOTTLES/dp/B007DINXCY/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1342404325&sr=8-16&keywords=contigo

angieand2girls
07-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Hi ladies! Back from Chicago and uhhhh...well, I didn't do TOO bad LOL! I did a TON of walking (like 6 hours a day) and my butt, feet, and legs kill so I'm sure that helped absorb some of the extra calories I ate in the evenings at dinner. Breakfast and lunch was fine. It was just dinner each evening where I went a bit over board. Nonetheless I had a great time and I'm back on track tomorrow! I already did my grocery shopping. :)

dgramie
07-16-2012, 07:32 AM
I just cant seem to stay op. I do good a few days and then bad for a few more. I keep gaining the same weight back and forth. I have noticed that the lbs keep coming with friends and the friends dont want to leave.

mahtha
07-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Good morning everyone :wave: It feels like a long time since I've posted. My SIL's mom passed away unexpectedly last week so the week was a little more crazy than normal crazy.

I have managed to continue to stay OP with food and water, though exericise had been a problem with the heat. It's supposed to cool down at the end of the week after some record-breaking temps tomorrow and Wednesday so hopefully I'll be able to get back on track with my lunchtime walks. The scale did budge a little, but a 1.5 pound loss after 30 days OP doesn't feel like much to celebrate. I'm struggling to remind myself this is a marathon...

I hope everyone has a great, OP day.

GemIAm
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
After three weeks of tiny losses (.5 lbs, .4 lbs, .3 lbs) I am really trying hard to stay on plan. My daughter's "theater debut" (as an orphan in Annie) ended yesterday with a huge cast party just BRIMMING with yummy things I can't eat - I was good and had a baked KFC chicken breast on top of lettuce. Please, oh please let me see a decent weight drop at WI on Thursday. I want to be under 200 lbs so badly it hurts...and yet, I am a little apprehensive about it too. I know I hide under the shell of "fat, smart chick with glasses" - and honestly, as a size 16, I am less "invisible" than I was 70 lbs ago - but somehow people (incl. men) paying attention to me is somewhat strange & scary.

LoseToAll
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Dgramie. I can hear your pain. I know you can get over this. Just stay here and know that we are all in it with you. I am always losing the same lbs as well but I just have been staying on plan obsessively and it has helped. You can do this.

GemIAm. Why is it this way? What do we do about looking at ourselves and seeing ourselves as less worthy as others to receive attention. I love the attention my kids get, it makes me happy and it feels like attention to me but when it is directly at me I am embarrassed. How do we get over this? There are others (the ones on TV) that live for the attention are so proud but if someone mentions my weight lose I lose it and eat. I don't get it.

I have been obsessively following plan of 1200 calories for two weeks and have lost 1.5 pounds. No breaks with cycling calories as before. I could not handle the up and down of the scale so I will put it on hold until I plateau then try again to see if it works. It may not, who knows. I have been holding onto the weigh-in in the morning. I sit at night and think about that other than eating. I do not eat after 5:30pm and that has helped and I do not eat with the family. That is fine with me. It cuts on the seconds and I eat OP.

Thanks for listening. Lsfunky

Matilda08
07-16-2012, 01:37 PM
:bravo: to ELLA & MATILDA ~ you both are doing fabulously, darlings -- I'm so happy for you and you know it ... ;)

Lotsa good stuff going down in this thread. We had a big :rain: last night too, so no watering for me today. My pain is all gone in my back; I know that some special friends prayed really hard for me and I know that helped too. Thanx ... :hug:

My eating went much better this week; stayed on plan and under my daily cals -- so happy for that ... phew! Been a busy week, but we are taking it easy this weekend; couldn't have timed that better with these higher temps. Didn't quite reach 90 F but was still bearable indoors anyways.

Have a FANTASTICALLY OP FRIDAY EVERYONE ... :flow2:

Thank you and you are doing great as well! Keep up the good work!

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-16-2012, 03:12 PM
:hug:DeGramie ~ there was a period of time that I went through a similar phase; it was too much at Christmas that started it all. It took a while, but eventually the more I practiced eating OP, the better I got at it.

I tried many different strategies: changing the food I ate, when I ate, how I ate, how often I ate, how much I ate, what time I ate, when I went to bed, when I got up, and how I handled stressful people & situations, etc. I had good OP days and some off days. It took a lot of patience to keep going, but that was the most important strategy of all ... :D

I do not eat after 5:30pm and that has helped and I do not eat with the family. That is fine with me. It cuts on the seconds and I eat OP.

LSFUNKY ~ these are the strategies that work for you; that is what matters most ... :)

GEM ~ yes, attention can be scary esp if we don't feel comfortable in the limelight (me too). Bravo to you for skipping the junkies and picking something healthier!

SUE ~ 1.5 lbs is 1.5 lbs that are gone now; take it!

ANGIE ~ glad you had a fun time.

MATILDA ~ your welcome! :D

Eating went well this past week; and I am expecting good things for this one too. We have :rain: here today with nicer temps too. Have a great OP week, ladies ... :flow2:

patchworkpenguin
07-16-2012, 11:29 PM
FIL got the rest of the test results. He has congestive heart failure. They are putting him on another diuretic and something else, but we get the feeling that there's not much they can do, especially considering his after-stroke condition. He is home from the hospital at least. More news after we've had a chance to talk to MIL again.

My parents took a short trip up to St Louis over the weekend, they came back to find the new downstairs AC has stopped working while they were gone. So they are trying to get the company to come fix it SOON!

Then my Sis emailed Dad a picture of their backyard. A sewer pipe broke and they had to have it fixed, incliding the yard dug up etc. $6,000! Ack!

Other than the above we had a nice weekend just hanging out with each other.

salsa chip
07-17-2012, 12:25 AM
I've been having a tough time recently :( Lots of stress (and on my holidays too!) and insomnia throwing a spanner in just about everything. Didn't get a wink of sleep last night, so I went for a walk and am just updating everything in Fitday.

dgramie
07-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Had a good op day yesterday..now for day 2!!

HealthyMeWannabe
07-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Due to a lousy week last week, I gained back 5 pounds. :( It happens, especially if I'm not 100% diligent on my eating and exercise. Back on track this week though!

sluggerbean
07-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Good Tuesday morning everyone. :coffee: I am pretty wiped after yesterday's nursing class. I seem to be hovering in the 243 pound range this month so I am officially declaring a plateau. That is ok with me because I am struggling and am able to string together three great on plan days in a row. This week I am shooting for four on plan days in a row. I know that eventually I will have a whoosh and see some progress. As someone stated in another thread, this is a marathon.

salsa chip
07-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Ok, I'm doing a little better now - weighed myself and have tracked everything today! I'm about to have dinner, and then go and do some grocery shopping. Tonight I'm going to get to sleep at a decent hour!

patchworkpenguin
07-17-2012, 05:21 PM
I did 45min of interval cardio plus the weeks laundry.

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-17-2012, 07:01 PM
PATCH ~ sending up some ^prayers^ for your FIL and family; it must be a scary time. Life sure does like to throw us some curves, doesn't it? But the thing to remember is that they are learning curves. A/C's can be fixed; sewer pipes can be repaired, but lives are so precious, aren't they? :hug:

:bravo: To all of you Ladies ~ that have been struggling; I'm so proud of you for continuing the battle. Yes, this is a marathon, not a sprint -- and the ones who finish the race ... are the Winners! :D

We had :rain: overnight; and lovely temps and :sunny: today. Eating went OK; was hungry but stuck to my plan -- phew (my afternoons really give me a hard time). Have a wonderful OP Wednesday, ladies ... :flow2:

dgramie
07-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Temp is suppost to hit 100 here today with a heat index of 110. YIKES!! Guess I will go out now and pick the garden and then be in for the day. I miss being outside. I try and let the kids play out for a bit in the morning before it gets too hot.
Had a good day of eating yesterday even though I only had a milkshake for dinner. I had a sore throat and it felt good. Calories worked out fine for the day in fact a bit on the low side.

patchworkpenguin
07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
My parents are taking me to lunch today. Some sort of weights for later.

I haven't been doing very well this week, my eating hasn't been consistent and I've gained a few lbs back.

Dgramie, this is why I stop checking the weather in the summer. I just don't want to know the exact numbers, I just feel hotter. :p

Rosebud, thanks for your prayers.

mahtha
07-18-2012, 09:34 AM

The scale is still stuck and I so wish I had taken measurements when I started so I could point to some progress during times like this. Today I'm reminding myself that the dress I'm wearing was a little snug last time I put it on and fits perfectly today.

Today is supposed to be the last of the really hot weather before we return to mid 80s for the weekend. I'm really looking forward to some cooler weather and being outside again. I have a date with a beach Friday and a kayak on Saturday :)

I hope everyone has a great, OP day.

Matilda08
07-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Having a great week so far today i wi at 225. Hoping to get back into the two teens soon I hope everyone is doing great!!

LoseToAll
07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
I don't get it I have been obsessed with staying on plan and after awesome numbers I am up 1.5 lbs. I am going to stay on plan and see what happens. I have never done calorie counting before. I have done everything else but it always seemed so hard but with MyFitnessPal app it has been easy to count but staying on plan until these last two weeks has been so hard. I just committed to stay in 1200 calories and see what happens. I wonder if it will plateau and get stuck and I hope it has not happened so soon.

I would love to see a 16 again. That is what I am relosing for. I was at 203 a year and a half ago and I am at 224.5 as of this morning but yesterday it was 223. a little discouraging but I will keep trying.

Have a great day. Funky

thelootlady
07-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Hey Funky.. just keep on going. I plateaued for a month.. and I was pissed off about it. Your body may be adjusting.. if you are exercising.. you could be gaining muscles.. who the **** knows.. Just keep going. I remember being a 12.. that is my end goal. But I would love to see a 18 or 16 again too.
:)

Elladorine
07-18-2012, 10:36 PM
I've lost about 24 pounds since March . . . only a quarter of a pound to go and I'll have lost all the weight I gained back last winter! :D Anything under that I haven't touched in 12 years. :o And according to my memory (hopefully not too skewed, lol), the next 20 pounds is going to make a huge difference with the size and shape of my stomach (my problem area, which seems to be the slowest part to go).

I'm excited. :carrot:

Salgal
07-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Gained twenty pounds in the last year and I feel lousy... I try not to look in the mirror cuz I get so upset at myself. Kinda hard to stay away from the dang mirrors:(. Anyhow. I try every day and some days are harder than others. I guess I have to fight my way back to eating great and exercising daily. Funny how I can't find the energy that I just had only a year ago. Frustrating. Good luck to every one and never give up!

salsa chip
07-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Well, praise God, my sleep seems to be getting better, I'm writing down (or rather, logging with Fitday) everything I eat, and I'm trying to drink lots of water each day (around 1.5 litres at the moment, my goal is 2l each day). Yesterday I collected my bike from the shop - it needed some serious TLC - and then ran some errands which added up to about 4 miles together.

Anyhow it's just hit me that since February I've lost nearly 7kg (round about 14lbs). Which is, I think, pretty darn good!

I don't see any difference in my appearance yet, but I'm a numbers gal anyway. Buuuut what this is kind of about is my lack of self-confidence, and how I need to recognise my achievements and congratulate myself on them. If that sounds horribly like faffy psych-language to you, well, you're not alone. But it's what I have to do, so...

GO SALSA YEAHHHH :carrot:

Ahem. Back to your scheduled Thursday afternoon ;)

Rosebud - thanks for the encouragement :)

Elladorine - good on you! I remember you from before (with a different name, though?) and it's so inspiring to see you keep going!

mahtha
07-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Matilda, Congrats on the loss!

Funky, I'm so with you right now. I'm stuck and frustrated but so far haven't resorted to "screw it, let's eat fries". I had set a goal of 50 pounds by late August and now doubt I'll see 40 in that timeframe but have to remind myself that 40ish is nothing to sneeze at...

Lootlady, I dream of 12 again too! Or maybe even a 10 ;) My D17 is an 8/10 so that seems very unrealistic for me, but who knows?

Elladorine, CONGRATULATIONS! It's nice to feel the difference, huh? Push on, you'e doing great.

Salgal, take baby steps. Pick one thing and get it down pat then add the next. You can do this!

Salsa, It's great to see you dancing :) I'm thrilled you're sleeping better - that makes EVERYTHING easier in my world!

Nothing new here. I was hoping for the magical whoosh when the scale finally budged, but alas the budge was all I got. 1/2 pound more and I graduate from obese to overweight so that's something short term to look forward to. In the meantime I just have to keep plugging...

sluggerbean
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
mahtha & funky - even if it is a small amount, you're still losing! Keep up the good work. :carrot:

salgal - you can do this. Devise a plan and stick to it! We are hear for you. :hug:

elladorine & salsa - :woohoo: fantastic job!!

Official weigh in day for me: down 0.8 for the week! I have had 2 on-plan days in a row trying for 4 - halfway there!!

It has just hit me that I have been on this journey for 52 weeks now (364 days). Wow. :eek: Time has flown. During this past year I have lost 77 pounds!! :carrot:

calluna
07-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Hello, all! I've been MIA a bit this week - my mom is here to visit and we've been pretty active. There's been a lot of eating out, although I have been pretty careful with that and to get my workout in every day. I don't think I've dropped any pounds this week, but I don't think there'll be a gain either - all good!

The other day, my mom did the dishes and my son mowed the grass so there'd be time for me to get my bike ride in before the evening festivities. :cloud9: And our cold, rainy weather finally broke. It's been in the 70s and sunny for three days straight. :D

patchworkpenguin
07-19-2012, 04:58 PM
I had lunch with a friend, then did 50min of cardio/abs. I Need to shower before Hubby gets home, off to Knit Night tonight!

salsa chip
07-19-2012, 06:22 PM
How do you deal with late night munchies? I'm sitting here and should be tucked up asleep, but my tummy is growling :( Which is silly as I've eaten plenty today, and went for a good long bike ride, and drunk lots of water!

What's going on? Pah!

patchworkpenguin
07-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I can't sleep if I'm hungry so I drink some milk or juice or eat some fruit. Sometimes eat a mug of cereal

gailr42
07-20-2012, 12:07 AM
I frequently have the same problem. By bed time, I am hungry. I have one very thin slice of very lean ham lunch meat (30cal), and six oz. of skim milk. The problem is that puts me over my limit for calories. I guess it is better than waking in the night and going to the refrigerator semi-awake and vulnerable to eating everything there is!

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-20-2012, 01:18 AM
How do you deal with late night munchies?

I set aside some spare calories for that time, usually having a slice of cheeze/60 cals and/or a piece of fruit. Sometimes, I may have a mocha coffee or tea if I am thirsty too ... on occasion, if I am really hungry, I may have some cereal like PATCH.

Then I go to bed early, and read a book ... :D

sluggerbean
07-20-2012, 10:54 AM
If I get the munchies usually I will immediately go drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes to see if the feeling passes. Usually this does the trick; if not I try a piece of sugar free gum. If that doesn't work then I hit the celery sticks or baby carrots. Like Justwant2Bhealthy I set aside a few calories for a snack if I need it.

Happy Friday everyone!!

LoseToAll
07-21-2012, 12:44 AM
I am with Penguin, I go for fruit and skim milk. It helps me.
Funky

dgramie
07-21-2012, 08:37 AM
a string cheese gets me through the late night problem time..i rarely have it at night mine is more mid afternoon.

LuvMyMr
07-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I was going back and forth with my weight loss but I finally figured out why. Depression was eating me up and I mean that literally! I lost 70 pounds and regained it all with an extra 20 pounds. It was awful!! I went through therapy and now I am doing so much better. My motivation is back and I am excited about eating right and working out. I couldn't get into my 18s and that was terrible. Now my 16s are loose. So awesome! :carrot: I almost was up to 300 pounds. I finally started to get back on track at 294!! Now I am at 286 and my goal is to be a size 10 or 12 but no larger than a 12. I had a lot of emotional turmoil going on for years and years and through therapy and God's help, I am on my way to getting where I want to. I no longer feel hopeless and full of despair. I feel like I can finally do this. I had gotten down to 234 so I have small steps that I am taking and I feel very hopeful. :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-21-2012, 04:14 PM
:welcome: LUV ~ glad that you have found some help that is working for you. Sounds like you must be a tall lady too. This is a good place for you; we understand, and there's lots of support here ... :hug:

Well, would you believe after talking about the night muchines, that I got a craving for a peanut butter sandwich last night. Thank goodness, I had some spare calories and finished at about 1805 for the day; and it was my flex day too so that wasn't so bad. Now, it's back to my strategy of keeping the PB for my BF or Lunch instead ... :lol:

Oh, we all have those days, don't we? But it could have been a lot worse, and it wasn't, so that's a NSV in itself. Onward ho ... ;)

We had a big thunderstorm last night that woke me up in the middle of the night, so my sleeping was a bit fitful. I should probably sleep really good tonight though. Since it was cool, I baked some muffins for the week (put them in the freezer). We are having roast chicken and veggies for dinner with lots left over for tomorrow too.

Have a wonderfully OP weekend everyone ... :flow2:

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Eating went much better yesterday; maybe even a bit low, but better IS better ... :lol: Today is going well too, I 'm glad to say. Just gonna have a tuna-potato salad for dinner tongiht; cool & light.

It's a bit warmer, but the fans are keeping us :cool: as long as I keep the windows closed to keep out the humidity. Hope you are all having a good OP weekend; and keeping as cool as you all can down there ... :flow2:

LoseToAll
07-22-2012, 05:47 PM
So I went to church today for the first time in along time. I have been to embarrassed about my weight. But I have lost 13 lbs since May and I put on my dress today and the jacket was loose enough that I could button it up. It was a good thing.

Has anyone eaten delite pizza from Papa Murphy's pizza or is it just in my area? Delite is the pizza with the thin crust. I had a veggi delite pizza and it was good but I missed the bread. I will probably get used to it. Anyway I had pizza at half the calories. So I stayed in my calorie range.

Hope you have a great Sunday. Funky

patchworkpenguin
07-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I haven't felt very well the past few days so I've been taking it easy. Its rained off and on, the rain cools it off for a few minutes but then turns the city into a sauna. We get to go to the dentist tomorrow! So excited about that! :p

LUV, welcome glad to have you join us.

Rosebud. glad your better!

Funky, congrats on the dress/jacket fitting. We've never tried Papa Murphy.

TXMary2
07-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi Everyone- I am just getting in on this thread. In 2010 I went from 258 to 214 and since then I gained it back plus 2 pounds. Nine days ago I made the decision to make a lifestyle change and not just go on a diet, so I started the Atkins way of life. I have dropped 8.6 pounds in the 9 days, I feel tons better already and I am not having physical food cravings. My mind is the problem. I think about what I can't eat, but thankfully there aren't physical pangs to go with it and I don't run out and stuff myself.

I am really trying to make myself believe that I can live without a gross amount of carbs and sugars, but mentally I am not there yet. I am Type 2 Diabetes so I know this way of life is best.

Anyway, I don't know how often I will pop in, but I know the more I hang around the forums the easier it is for me to make changes.

Matilda08
07-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Welcome newbies!!

I am doing pretty well with sticking to my cal intake per day I have not been working out much but I was able to get a great workout in yesterday! Im working my way back down to 217 today I wi at about 225-226 so Im very thankful for that. Lets keep pushing I know we CAN do it

mahtha
07-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Welcome, TXMary2!

We had a weekend of getting everyone organized for college and our upcoming vacation plus another business trip for DH. My house is a mess, but with rain forecast for later in the week there will be plenty of time to take that on!

Food has been good; my few splurges have been within my calorie limits and I've been better about drinking water in the weekends. I got a couple of walks in, which felt good after all the hot weather keeping me inside.

The scale is moving little by little again and I'm longer obese! I had to drag out the sewing machine last night to take in some pants to get me through the rest of the summer. Even my "new" stuff is too big. When I restarted, I set a target of 50 pounds by 8/23. I've had two major stalls along the way, so that now seems unrealistic, but I'm hoping I can get to 45-ish in the next month. I know the fall and winter will be more challenging for me so I've gotta make hay while the sun shines!

mahtha
07-24-2012, 10:00 AM

I didn't make the best food choices last night because I was starving when I got home, but was was still within calorie range for the day. I did get in a walk but did not drink all my water.

I finished taking in the clothes I think I can salvage and have to say it feels really good to have more properly-fitting clothes. It's amazing how differently I feel not wearing baggy cover-up clothing all the time. On that subject: I do have a bunch of things I'm not talented enough to alter. Does anyone in the group wear a size 18 pants and/or XL/1X top? (I'm 5'7" and pear shaped) PM me and we can discuss shipping some stuff to get you through this part of your journey.

sluggerbean
07-24-2012, 10:08 AM
:wave: Good morning everyone!!

Last week I did meet my goal of stringing together 4 on plan days in a row! :carrot: Plus for the first time this month, I had a Monday where I was on plan, drank all my water, and exercised! :woohoo: So this week I am trying for 5 on plan days in a row. :D As I was on plan on Sunday (which is my planned rest day), I am now going for day 3 of 5 in a row!! :p

Have a great on plan Tuesday!!

calluna
07-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Way to go, Mahta and Slugger!

I had a GREAT time with my mom coming to visit last week. Thankfully there was no "damage" and I even showed a small loss last week. I am on plan with workouts and back to my regular eating habits. That's the worst for me - it is SO easy to wander off track when there is a break in routine.

Matilda08
07-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone and Happy Tuesday!!

Im making my way back to 217 wi today at 224.5:):)

Judy Lynn
07-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi ladies! (and gents if we have any)

I have had a real roller coaster the last couple of weeks. After Week One being back OP I showed a 4 pound gain! I was so depressed I had a big pity party and threw in the towel. Must have been hormones because it is gone now and I am back on track. Oh the joys of peri-menopause. ;)

Congrats to all of you that are doing so well. We have done this before, and we can do it again!

gailr42
07-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Yep, Judy Lynn, we can do it again! Maybe we could try to make this the last "again".

I quit smoking "again" in 1994. I think I got it this time. I read somewhere that it takes many people four tries before they actually quit for good. Maybe dieting is similar. Perhaps it may take four or more tries to get it right.

I have been eating the right things, but I think maybe too much. I ate almost 1500 calories yesterday, and I think maintenance for me is right about 1500 because I am so short and small [when I'm not fat]. I am trying for 1200, but by bed time I am starving.

patchworkpenguin
07-24-2012, 05:09 PM
I think I'm getting a summer cold, Yuck. I'm snuffly and just plain tired.

My checkup was fine but Hubby was told he needs to go see a specialist about potential bone loss! Not great news for him. :(

guacamole
07-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Feel better, Patch! I wish I knew where my motivation went off to, because I can't seem to find it. I am technically within my calorie range today, but didn't eat well - if you know what I mean. Lots of carbs and heavy foods. I did do better with my sugar intake, so that's something. Was going to bike with my husband, but he said it was supposed to rain, so we didn't. Of course, it didn't rain, and I got no exercise today. Feeling a bit down and like I will never achieve my goal. It's like I can see myself posting here how I got down to 150 and let myself get back up to 200lbs in 6 months or something. I haven't stepped on the scale in a few days because I am scared to.

Hope you are all doing better than me!

LoseToAll
07-24-2012, 07:26 PM
I was doing great and was so proud then yesterday I had my husband bring home Costco pesto turkey sandwiches I was only going to eat half and lost control and ate the whole thing. It was not so bad I only had 1450 calories rather than the 1200 I have been shooting for. I have a goal of 3 lbs by the end of the month. I am working to make my goal. I have never made a goal like this before. In my mind if I don't make a goal I do not fail. Right? I think I may make it. Cheer me on. Have a great rest of the day. Funky

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-24-2012, 09:03 PM
PATCH ~ thanks, this week is going better too! ;) I hope that you start to feel better and that cold disappears as well ... :)

Glad to see so many of you still fighting the good fight -- hanging in there, and pulling some rabbits out of your hats to stay on plan for as many days as you can. :bravo:

Just did stuff around home lately. We had nice cool temps today, but it is supposed to get a bit :hot: tomorrow (I'll be hybernating indoors I'm sure), then cooler again. It's nice to have these days of reprieve in between. Had cold salad plate for lunch today; then fish for dinner with salad/veggies, etc.

Have a wonderful OP Wednesday, everyone ... :flow2: