Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #1  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Have you ever hid food so they'd think you ate it?

So today this coworker brought in an amazing cake that he stayed up late and baked from scratch to share with everyone. He was so proud of it, and I didn't want to hurt his feelings by declining the cake.

Along with that, after recently being called obsessed because of my dieting efforts, I also didn't want anyone making any observations or saying anything. There are times when I could care less about the opinions of others. I've declined before claiming "I'm on a diet," "I'm not hungry" or "I'll have some later," but I just wasn't in the mood today.

I took the slice, ate a few bites and said how good it was along with everyone else. When no one was paying attention, I carefully scooped the cake off of my plate with a napkin and kept it out of sight until I could discreetly throw it away. Everyone saw the empty plate and had no comments, the guy was happy, and I didn't blow my diet for the day. I felt like it was win-win.

Anyone else ever done something like that?
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

No, I don't usually have people wanting me to eat though.

If I do have people offering me things I don't want I just say "no, thank you, I'm all set." "No thanks, I'm all set." "No, thanks, I'm all set." Repeat as necessary and then change the subject.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I, also, have never had to do this. I've never been in that kind of work situation though, can't say I wouldn't do the same thing if people were going to make a big dang deal about it. I don't know though!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #4  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

All the time. I work with a lot of food pushers, and my in-laws are food pushers who worry that I never eat. So, yeah... unfortunatley this happens 2-3 times a week for me. Someone brings in treats to work all the time or the cooks make pancakes for everyone for breakfast or my in-laws bought eclaires.... I usually try to just avoid taking anything or drawing attention to myself but I've learned who will just not give up and usually I'll just accept their offer, thank them, and then throw it away when they're out of the room.

I know that people are just tryting to be nice and I feel like if they dont see me eat or not eat their treats its a win/win. I dont get bugged about how I should loosen up on my "diet", no ones feelings are hurt, and i dont have to feel guilty about eating things I dont need!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #5  
Unicorn Princess

S/C/G: 168/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm not saying people who do this have a problem, but I used to do that all the time when I lost weight in a very unhealthy way a few years ago. I don't do that anymore because it reminds me of that time span! I totally get why people would, though. Now if it is an occasion like that I will eat some of the food and then re-allocate the rest of the day's calories or go an extra little bit at the gym.
Chartreuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

ive been in that situation before, in different settings, but same scenario...ive had people ask me over and over "make sure you get some"..."did you get some yet?"..."what do you think of it?" ...i try to take a little, eat a few bites, get rid of the rest...i've let the kids "sneak" bites from my plate, i've pushed it around with a fork so it looks eaten more, and then throw it away...stuff like that...i've been around people who can get very pushy and/or offended if i don't eat it...i hate being in those situations
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

ALL THE TIME!!! I thought I was the only one. I work with some of the worst hovering mother types and I usually take some of whatever it is, wait until everyone is busy, and throw it away. If that isn't working out, I will wait until the offending food pusher is looking, take a bite, exclaim how great it is, and then eat no more, throwing the rest away. That usually works. But I am much like you in that my workplace is full of people who are used to me eating a lot and now I don't so I'm obsessed and too skinny. Amazing how people suddenly get uncomfortable when you change. I just cannot eat cupcakes, bundt cake, brownies, pizza, taco dip, chips n salsa, pudding, enchiladas, and God knows what else every single day and still be on track and keep losing weight. I notice the skinny coworker who makes these goods never eats what she makes. Hmmm...
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #8  
present!

S/C/G: 200/174/145

Height: 5'3"

My old office continually brought in treats. The more whipped sugar and margarine with airbrush frosting the better. "Famous" cheesy chicken and rice casserole, etc.
I got very good at needing to grab a note or a book or check a phone message back at my desk with plate in hand. Come back with a bite or two left on the plate.
I'm sure the cleaning lady hated emptying out my trash bin.

Last edited by Spinach; 06-14-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #9  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

In my convoluted little inner world, the food doesn't care what happens to it, but people sometimes base their entire mood for the day on how well they can control other people, solicit compliments on their cooking, or even innocently demonstrate their way of caring, showing off, or how they like to spend their free time. We have so many rules and emotions and perceptions tied up with it, that I absolutely will do this to maintain the peace. It's one of the few things I don't ever feel guilty about, too!

Caveat - I have no people in my life that are actively trying to force-feed me, where this practice would mislead them into doing more of it. That would require a less passive-aggressive stance. Fortunately for me, I have a legitimate and visible bad reaction to food colorings, so I can use that to get out of most situations.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #10  
Overweight again...dang

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
If I do have people offering me things I don't want I just say "no, thank you, I'm all set." "No thanks, I'm all set." "No, thanks, I'm all set." Repeat as necessary and then change the subject.
Haha! Love it!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #11  
Overweight again...dang

I love the responses so far! Keeping the peace.... yes, that's a great way to put it!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #12  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Hmmm... I have the OPPOSITE problem... when they're (whoever "They" are) serving cake or whatever... I have a problem saying NO THANKS because I really want some cake! Sometimes I do tho. Most times, I eat it. ~sigh~
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: See ticker for pounds lost

I've experienced co-workers and even family members try to push food on me. I normally come up with some sort of allergy to something in the food (I have none though)

Oh no, I'm allergic to coconut!
No thanks, tomatoes break me out in hives!
I would but cheese doesn't always agree with me!

I usually get the 'ohhh, okay' and they keep it moving.

Vibrant
VibrantThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #14  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

All the time. Usually, only at work though. The people who are in the know about my weight loss, are okay with my 'no thanks!' but the big-wigs and corporate types do not care, and it is sometimes necessary to be all 'oh, so tasty!' and only have two bites and trash the rest.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #15  

Ahhh office socializing! I have to remind myself that comments about my food choices is their problem, not mine because I don't talk about what I eat or what they eat, so its not like I am judging anyone. I just got asked if I was vegetarian and I said no because its hard for me to outright lie, also its pointless because at work there are many unhealthy vegans and vegetarians. Its tough in staff outings when we all have to order. I have the issue where I don't want the food at all, so even a "lighter" version is a waste of cals. As I am winding down and in the vanity pound land, I have to make most of my cals "count" and its harder for me to say the truth if I am asked why I don't eat like everyone else - that I want to lose weight because I know that I'll get the "you don't need to!" comments.
I just say that I am eating out later with friends. I have to face these people everyday, so I just prefer to "keep the peace" and tell some white lies ha.
Another office thing is cake for people's birthdays. Thing is, I don't want any of the cake or any other alternatives, so I'll be doing the whole "pretend I ate it thing" where I take a bite and push around my plate and say I'll take a slice home. I can easily decline other people's cakes but my own birthday cake is tricky.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote