Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Default Working out with newborn and toddler

Simple q really. It was easy with 1, work out during the nap. But when do you find the time with a nursing newborn and 2 year old... Is it worth it to join a gym with childcare, because I have the equipment at home. My 2 year old never slept as a baby (really, 12 hours awake it was horrid) so I can't imagine this. Am i worrying for nothing
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #2  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

I didn't really try working out when my son was a newborn - I waited until he was a year old. When I did start working out, I joined a gym that had childcare (it was actually a big selling point for me), but I never used the childcare. Part of it was that I never felt like packing the kids up and bringing them with me, and part of it was not really being sure of... the "procedure" of using the childcare? (I REALLY don't like having to do something for the first time, because I might be mistaken about something, do something wrong - pretty silly, but there it is.)

What I ended up doing is going to the gym during my lunch break from work (I work full time) or dropping the kids off with my mother for a little while. Working out at home would have been a viable option, though - if I were motivated enough. There was "time enough" that it was a possibility, but I just haven't been able to maintain a home workout regimen since marriage and children. If you've got the determination, though, there is a lot to be said for the convenience of having your workout space merely steps away.
2sw33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Are you going to pump at all? I joined a gym with childcare a few weeks ago, so DS was just shy of 6 months old, so not a newborn, but I probably would've pulled the trigger sooner if we had the money.

I love having the childcare option at my gym and the hours are flexible (8AM-8:30PM). Since he's an infant I have to call and reserve a spot, but I can do that right before I leave the house. For a newborn, I would imagine he/she would probably just sleep in the carrier the whole time. I send a bottle with DS and they're usually giving it to him when I pick him up an hour later. You could always nurse him there right before you work out and that would cover you for a couple of hours, too.

The only thing that gives me pause is the germ factor. I stay home with DS and he did get a cold his first week. Not a bad one, but still a PIA. For extra fun, I got it too. So you might want to consider that he would be exposed to daycare germs at a young age.

There is no way I would be able to get a workout done at home with 2 little ones. Just no way. I would always get sidetracked with all the stuff I could be getting done during naptime (laundry, cleaning, dishes, etc...). You might be more motivated in that area, but the gym daycare is well used in this house! Plus, it gets DS used to people besides me. It really is very easy and our gym has the cost built in to the family membership so we don't have to pay every time.

ETA: And re-reading your post, I hope you get blessed with a good sleeper this time around! If you get another tough baby, getting away for an hour or two might be really nice.

Last edited by junebug41; 06-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

I've only got one of my own, she's just turned a year. Thankfully she is a napper and I can squeeze time in there, but the only way I can get out for a walk on my own is by getting up early. She already wakes up at 5 (yah... I think it has something to do with the napping) and husband is on duty, I get up, get dressed, and get out the door. That way daddy gets some time with the little one before work and mummy gets some time with no one but herself.

I don't know if that'd work for you, I can't imagine having been able to do it when mine was a newborn, sleep was too precious.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #5  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

You know that I had a newborn and one a few months shy of 2. I used the gym daycare for a while, until I realized that people don't care if their kids are sick. They want to get their workout in and drop them off no matter what. My kids were getting sick every couple of weeks - a real drag. I invested in a really good double stroller (Bob Revolution Duallie) and made walking my primary cardio. Then I'd do videos and/or weights before falling into bed at night or before they got up in the morning.

It's hard, and I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to do it with 2 toddlers and a newborn. But, I think the bottom line is that we just do what we have to to make it work. Super helpful, I know.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #6  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I don't belong in this forum (no longer pregnant) but the title caught my eye!

I have a 3 year old and a 17 month old. I began working out at the gym last spring when my daughter was just two months old. My husband was deployed and I'm a SAHM, so the gym felt like the only "me" time in the day. Unfortunately the gym in our last city didn't offer a childcare option (I would have loved that) so my mom was generous enough to watch them a few times a week. Now I'm a member of a gym that does offer childcare and we take full advantage. The kids love it.

There's no way that I am motivated enough to exercise during naptime (which my 3 year old no longer participates in) because at that point I just want to catch up on cleaning, or fall into the couch and take a break!
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #7  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Gym with childcare is a MUST for me. Mine are 3.5 and just over 1, and we go several times a week in between morning nap and afternoon nap. When the little one wasn't on an actual schedule yet, it was really hard for me to find time. It would have been a lot easier then to have a home gym... probably would have been a whole lot more consistent with my workouts.

Now that he's (mostly) predictable, it's just part of our routine.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #8  

Height: 5'0"

I bumped this thread because I'm in the same boat.

I've got a 4 & 2 year old. Elder doesn't nap. Younger one's naps are sporadic at best.

Joining a gym isn't financially feasible for me. Plus I, too, have all the equipment I need at home including a treadmill, elliptical, weights, etc.

Lately I've resigned myself to doing mostly videos or wii workouts. The kids kind of like to follow along, so I can do maybe 15-20 minutes while they're joining me.

I also have a double jogger stroller, which helps. I can't use it now (high risk pregnant and not supposed to heavy lift), but I did use it for both walking and jogging. My 4 year old is maybe too big for it, but oh well. I don't care if I get stares from strangers as long as I'm getting some exercise.

We do family stuff like walks and such on the weekend when hubby is home. He pulls them in the wagon.

And I do sprints with the kids in the yard. I set up different colored cones and then shout out a color, and we all run as fast as we can to the cone.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Thanks for all the help girls.

Thankfully little brother is nothing like his big brother in the sleep department (8 weeks old on MOnday). He sleeps most of the day and I can easily get in a workout. I'm a bit tired as he's a big chunk and nurses every hour overnight but considering how his brother was, I'm more than happy with what we have!!

I am doing Kettlebells at home, it's -20C and 3 feet of snow out

Last edited by sacha; 12-29-2012 at 08:26 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #10  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Just chiming in, during the week I would go running in the mornings at 5am with a group and would do my weightlifting class at 6am, before everyone gets up, leave hubby sleeping with the kid. By the time I worked out and showered everyone was just getting up. Great way to start the day. I plan on following this routine now that I am feeling good and #2 is 5-weeks old (she wakes me up at 5am anyways!).

Last edited by LizRR; 10-07-2013 at 11:11 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote