General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #1  
SciFi Geek Gettin' Skinny

S/C/G: 186 / 156.6 / 140

Height: 5'7"

Default Vitamins and supplements

I take...alot of vitamins and supplements. And I wonder what everyone else takes? Any recommendations? And do you think I take too much?

Morning:
Ulta Woman Daily Multi (it is a split dosage)
Stress B Complex with C 500
Omega 3 Fish Oil 1,000 mg ( x2)
CLA 1,000 mg (x2)
Fibrolean Konjac Root 500mg Glucomannan (x2) 30 min before breakfast.
Raspberry Ketone 300mg+ GreenTea 200mg
Green Coffee Bean 800 mg an hour before breakfast. (just testing these, seeing if they work)

Afternoon:
Ultra Woman Daily Multi
Omega 3 Fish Oil x2
CLA 1,000 mg x2
Fibrolean x2, 30 min before lunch
Raspberry Ketone plus Green Tea
Green Coffee Bean an hour before lunch
Calcium 500mg with 250mg Magnesium

Night:
Calcium with magnesium
mlgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I take a multi when I remember, which isn't often. Sometimes some extra vitamin C.

The only supplement I use daily is protein powder.

Idk if it what you're taking is too much, honestly! But I have no idea since I really don't take anything, even a few supps seems like a lot to me.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/222/150

Height: 5'8"

I take

Once Daily Women's Multivitamin (Once a day, obviously)
Milk Thistle 3x a day (morning, afternoon and night)

That seems like a lot of supplements, but then again I've only heard of about half of them so I'm not sure if they are all safe to take together. As long as they don't have negative interactions though I don't see why you shouldn't be taking them. If they help you and make you feel better, go for it!

I've heard really great things about fish oil and have been considering adding that. Have you been having a good experience with it?
AbstractSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #4  
SciFi Geek Gettin' Skinny

S/C/G: 186 / 156.6 / 140

Fish oil has so many good benefits.
Slight appetite suppression. Helps with heart health, lowering risk of stroke and heart disease. Can help with blood pressure. Can help with depression, adhd, etc.
I can't say I've noticed anything much, but heart disease runs in the family so I take it since it has such a wide range of benefits.
mlgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

It does sound kind of like a lot, but I don't really know much about these things... I might check with a doc, just to be on the safe side.

I take gummy multivitamins (lol), fish oil, and calcium+ vit d.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #6  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Do you eat fish normally? I try to get as much stuff as possible just from my diet. I talked to a Doctor about this before and she said we shouldn't need to take so many supplements in the first world, why are we deficient in anything? I suppose for weight loss a multivitamin might be a good idea though. Hey as long as it's safe I guess there's no problem
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i take a multivitamin daily...sometimes i take extra vitamin D since i live in a rainforest where we see very little actual sunlight...i also use protein powder daily...that's all that i take...
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #8  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Multivitamin, a Vit D/K/Iodine combo, LOTS of EPA/DHA, chromium, 7-Keto DHEA, and astathanxin. Looks to me like you stay up with the latest research on longevity and avoiding chronic disease! Unless your doctor is on the same page as you, I think I'd keep it off the table unless you're being prescribed medications or going in for surgery. With CODEX looming out there in the legislature, you won't have the freedom to make those choices much longer.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 174/T/140

Height: 5'3"

I had a consultation with a pharmacist whose practice specializes in women's health and hormone therapy. ( I went to them specifically because they DID NOT offer the HCG diet - which it seems every other type of this place does) It was very eye opening and helpful experience. Although I can't do the hormone testing until I am off Birth Control, she was able to recommend other helpful supplements for me right now. My pill box looks like I'm a serious addict Because I have HBP and heart disease in my family, I take Fish Oil , Magnesium, CoQ10, Super B Complex (this alievieated a really strange burning sensation I had that wouldn't go away), a Multi-vitamin, calcium supplement - whew ! She also gave me a book by Pamela Wartain Smith, "What you must know about Women's Hormones" that is very helpful as well.
BuddysBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #10  
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgibson View Post
I take...alot of vitamins and supplements. And I wonder what everyone else takes? Any recommendations? And do you think I take too much?

Morning:
Ulta Woman Daily Multi (it is a split dosage)
Stress B Complex with C 500
Omega 3 Fish Oil 1,000 mg ( x2)
CLA 1,000 mg (x2)
Fibrolean Konjac Root 500mg Glucomannan (x2) 30 min before breakfast.
Raspberry Ketone 300mg+ GreenTea 200mg
Green Coffee Bean 800 mg an hour before breakfast. (just testing these, seeing if they work)

Afternoon:
Ultra Woman Daily Multi
Omega 3 Fish Oil x2
CLA 1,000 mg x2
Fibrolean x2, 30 min before lunch
Raspberry Ketone plus Green Tea
Green Coffee Bean an hour before lunch
Calcium 500mg with 250mg Magnesium

Night:
Calcium with magnesium
Hello. I noticed you are taking Raspberry Ketones. Have you noticed any benefit? I didn't think one should take that much.

Last edited by Emmy501; 06-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Emmy501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

I will preface this by saying I am not an expert. But that does seem like a lot of supplements to be taking in a day.

It's possible to be perfectly healthy and not deficient in vitamins with a balanced diet (and as you're working on weight loss you're likely to be eating pretty healthily). Take your calcium, for example: do you eat dairy products? If not, and if your diet's lacking other sources of calcium, then by all means take a supplement, or even better, alter your diet to contain more food sources of calcium. But if, for example, you usually have a small glass of milk and one yoghurt in a day, then your one evening supplement's taking you over your daily requirements.

You also need to be aware that although vitamins = good, more vitamins does NOT necessarily = better. It's well worth researching each of the supplements you're taking. Look for studies investigating effects at various different doses. The food supplement industry has a vested interest in making you think you need their products, so a bit of healthy suspicion is a very good thing here.
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #12  

Height: 165 cm (5'5'')

I would suggest that you speak to your doctor and let them know the exact list that you have given us. Two main reasons: We do not know your medical history; and
If your are taking more than 5 medications, either over the counter or prescription (or a combination), the chance of there being a contraindication is dramatically increased.

The biggest thing I would suggest is SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!!
Why do I insist on this? There are new long term studies being published every week about this sort of over the counter medications and the potential long term side effects, and it information can be invaluable, but needs to be discussed with a doctor.

(I am training to be a pharmacist, just FYI )
Alwaysbeenbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #13  

fishoil, green tea, vitamin D
beccawhite90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #14  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Ya know, I USED to take a lot of vitamins/supplements. Then I started thinking: "Hey, I don't FEEL any different" than when I wasn't taking them. Is it doing any good at all? (or any harm?) And my annual physical with the doc didn't show ANY difference on ANYTHING - not blood pressure, not cholesterol, not weight, not bone density, I mean NOTHING was better OR worse...so...

I thought "Hey, I'm just wasting money here." So I quit. No more fish oil. No more Vitamins B, C, or D. One-a-Days. Etc. No more money doled out for something that I'm not even sure I ever needed in the first place.

And ya know what? No difference in anything.

However, two things I DO TAKE: Calcium (family history of Osteoporosis) and just plain ol'Magnesium pills. They help "move things along". Especially when I eat too much red meat.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 06-22-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/256.3/160

Height: 5'10"

I don't know how true this is, but I've read a couple articles recently that have said that if you take too much of certain vitamins you can increase your chance of cancer (but then again, so does everything else so who knows).

I used to take a muti-vitamin, but since I eat a lot of fruits and veggies I felt that taking one was overkill. I'd rather get the nutrients from my food than a processed little pill.
KatTheAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote