Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #1  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Running with Patellofemeral Syndrome

I can be very sensitive about this topic, which I know is silly. But I have Patellofemeral syndrome, it was something that I have had since I was a child and is not exercise or injury related, rather... my bone structure is just a genetic curse. I have always seen women jogging down the street or through the park and on more than one occasion it has made me cry. I've always wanted to do that. But never have been able to.

Well. I want to. I feel like if I can run a 5k, then I truly can do anything. I've never run. I'm kind of afraid of it. But I went and bought special running shoes that will help, especially with my condition. I bought special ice packs that are specifically for the knees and strap on.

Now... where do I start? This is truly a couch to 5k moment! Has anyone had experience with never running a day in your life to starting?

Any advice? Pointers? Encouragement? And if you have PFS, how have you dealt with running?
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hey! I was diagnosed with Patellafemerul Syndrom as well..in my right knee..Ive had it since i was 16 years old. It made things really difficult for the longest time..sometimes i was even on crutches cause just standing really hurt...i used to ice it and use bandage wraps...But good news! Eventually 5 years later, i was able to start jogging..it took a long time to get to that point..i had to start with walking..but eventually i was able to jog..and it seems to be fine except when i overwork my knee..Get a good pair of runners if your going to jog and i suggest using a wrap on your knee for the first while, that will help. .Even some gel insoles for your runners to give them more cushion in your step would be good..Rememebr to ice your knee right after! and dont forget to stretch stretch stretch!!! Ive actually noticed that doing some leg exercises particularly with weights have helped strengthen the muscles around and that has helped too..Dont push yourself too much and overdo it..oh and make sure to use a pillow under your knee at night..keep it elevated a bit..that will help as well if your experiencing discomfort..you might even consider loading up on the pain killers and anti-inflammatories prior to your exercise...just a thought...On the days that it hurts real good..dont do a jog...take it easy and let it rest... As i said..it took me 4 and a half years before i was able to get back to doing walking and jogging..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #3  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi, I dont have any advice on patellofemoral syndrome but I have a condition that prevents me from running and jogging (for about a year now) and I cry over the limitations it brings on me. The best advice anyone has given me is to focus on what you can do and dont focus on what you cannot do. So if you try and find that you are unable to run, it is ok because there are still some things you can do.

Last edited by TiffNeedsChange; 06-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #4  

I think the knee issue is best addressed by a training or medical professional, not someone online who can't see you moving.

That said, given physical issues I'd strongly suggest starting SLOWLY and VERY GRADUALLY. See Jeff Galloway's beginners stuff (jeffgalloway.com) or the beginning runners section at runnersworld.com.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote