Weight Loss Support - 4 week Challenge!

View Full Version : 4 week Challenge!

Gennel
03-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Welcome! I love these challenges they keep me on my toes and help me maintain my current weight. The road to our goals is hard and difficult I wont lie to you! But if you want it ,truly want it
you wont give it a second thought and just do it.
If you'd like to join just post it here and let us know how many pounds will want to lose in 4 weeks. We weigh ourselves each saturday. Post how many lbs you lost so I can edit the chart.Or PM me and let me know.
This challenge ends 4/27/03

My goal?

Gen..Goal ..Maintain current weight of 130 lbs

Palm Ba, Granny..Goal 6 lbs

Kempyd ..Goal 2 % bodyfat

plb112467 Goal 8 lbs

Clarita..Goal 4 lbs

mbg..Goal 9 lbs

AngieMe..Goal 6 lbs..Loss 1 lb

melekalikimaka ..Goal 6 lbs ..Loss 2 lbs

Laney1733.Goal 6 lbs

grizzlyschick ..Goal 7 lbs

Angel26519 ..Goal 8lbs

Yoyomom ..Goal 4 lbs..Loss 1 lb

Jen519..Goal 6 lbs

EvasiveMarigold..Goal 6 lbs

jjules300..Goal 7 lbs

Choci..Goal 5 lbs

Shimmers ..Goal 6 lbs

194//130/@goal now

Kempyd
03-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Gennel I sent you a PM yesterday about the challenge. Just incase you didn't get it I want to drop 2% bodyfat instead of pounds. I think that would be better for me now that I am close to goal.

Palm Bay, Granny
03-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Put me down for 6 lbs.
Weight 192.

plb112467
03-27-2003, 12:57 PM
I enjoyed our last challenge, so I'm signing on for this one too! I am at 205 ( as of Monday ), so I will use that as my starting weight. I am going to go for 8 lbs again this challenge!

Thanks Gennel for keeping this going!

:grouphug:

Clarita
03-27-2003, 02:22 PM
I am ready to get back into the swing of things atfer my trip to New Orleans. I would like to lose 4lbs over the next 4 weeks. I am losing weight veeeeery slowly but I think a bit more commitment from me will kick me in the butt. You guys rock and are very supportive :)

Kempyd
03-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Clarita when did you go to New Olreans? You should have told me so we could actually meet. I live about 45 mins away from there. I think it would be neat to meet someone from the site.

MbG
03-27-2003, 02:59 PM
Hello,

Itís been about 6 months since I've been here to 3facchicks and although I've been trying to go to WW meetings I decided I needed something to motivate me into getting back OP, so I want to participate in your challenge. Iíll use todayís weight-in weight of 189 as my starting weight and set my goal at 9 pounds. I was looking back and Iíve gained back 14 pounds since last November and that upward movement stops here and now!

Marybeth
241/189/160

angieME
03-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Put me down for 6 pounds this month. My weight is coming off slower now that I am getting down there. My starting weight for this challenge is 153.5 pounds.

Gennel, I am so happy to hear that your house is moving right along. Are you getting a pool too? I love the ones in Florida with the screen rooms over them. I wished we could do that here.

laney1733
03-27-2003, 03:50 PM
Hello all! I'd like to join up again. Shooting for 6 pounds again. Starting weight is 165 as of last Sat. It seems like I'm getting here less and less. I'm still losing, I'm just so busy! My husband says he's never seen a busier, unemployed person in his life. My treadmill died. We got it only 6 months ago! But, we bought the service contract so Sears is replacing the motor, deck, and belt and it won't cost a thing.:D I knew when we were buying it that it wasn't a good, "gym quality" machine but it was all we could afford so I insisted on the service contract. Dh is pretty glad I did because we usually never buy those.
So I am now controled by the weather. Which has been ok for the last week or so, it's been nice to walk or run outside. But it is supposed to get nasty this weekend!:mad: I may be forced to do some mall walking which I hate!!
Gennel, you must be so excited, I can imagine how I would feel. When we bought this house, it seemed like it took FOREVER to get into it, And it was already standing!! Hopefully those months will fly by for you.:)
Good luck to everyone in meeting your goal this challenge. We are :strong: I know we can!!:df: TTFN,

melekalikimaka
03-27-2003, 04:16 PM
This is such a long and winding road...count me in once again this challenge for 6 lbs.

Starting weight this challenge: 178 as of 3/22/03

My girlfriend is getting married the Sunday after Easter, 4/27/03 and I would've liked to have been @ 170 but I'm not expecting any miracles. All we can do is try, try, try. :D Let's do it girlfriends.

Apple Blossom
03-28-2003, 01:15 AM
Hello again. Well, last month turned out to be...well...not so good. Put me down for 6 again this month and I'll give it one more shot. It is warming up around here and I've already found myself unwilling to take my jacket or sweater off because of my fat arms!! Just wait untill shorts and (oh dear) swim suits. My son has already asked to go swimming and the pool opens in just a few weeks. I am historically pretty pathetic in regard to the challenge. Hopefully I can take it seriously this time. And off I go to my Step Video. Bye!

grizzlyschick
03-28-2003, 04:55 AM
Hi everyone:) - Well I'm shooting for another 7. It seems like I have to work much harder now to get a loss since I'm closer to goal, but I figure hopefully shooting for 7 will push me to try.
Kempyd- going by body fat is a good idea. Once I'm closer to goal, I might consider doing that. By the way I like the new pic.
Angie- I'm glad you're here again. You're 10 pounds ahead of me, and everytime you hit a goal it helps me to know that if I keep on going, soon I will hit it to. You're an inspiration for me.:)
Everyone else glad to see you here. See you tomorrow.:D Di

Angel26519
03-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Hello Everyone!!!! I think I would like to join you guys...

My wedding date is May 3rd so this would be perfect for before the big day....

As of this am I am 200.5#

I would like to lose 8# this month.... (actually it would be great to lose 50# but I guess that wont happen...lol)

angieME
03-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Hey Angel, remember me? We did a thread together on the buddy up forum I think it was. How are you doing? You must be getting so anxious with your wedding right around the corner. Have you got most everything done. Welcome to the challenge. These women ROCK!!!!

Yoyo Mom
03-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Hello... Put me in for 4 pounds. Doesn't sound like a lot but frankly that's a lot for me to lose in one month. Anyway, it gives me something to shoot for!

angieME
03-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Hi YOYO MOM Welcome to the thread. You will find great support here.

Kempyd
03-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Wow this thread is really growing. I love to see all of the new poeple. It really means that we are working hard toward our goals.

Yeah for us! :cp:

jen519
03-28-2003, 11:12 PM
O.K.
I'm in too. I'll aim for 6 pounds again. My mini mini-goal is to get back to where I was in January. That's 226. Great to see everyone and some new folks too!

FrouFrou
03-29-2003, 01:06 AM
I hope you don't mind me jumping in, I am definitely up for a challenge!:cb: I weigh in every Monday morning, but as of today my current weight is 199.5 and will aim for 6 pounds. That doesn't seem like much but my goal is to take it off slow.

grizzlyschick
03-29-2003, 06:18 AM
Hi everyone! Welcome to all the new comers:wave:. Well it's early here, hubby woke me up to go fishing and then fell asleep:p ! Well I'm down 3 pounds this week. I really had to work hard to get it though. I guess the closer to goal, the harder it's going to get. In March, I lost less pound wise than in recent months, but more inch wise. With trying to tone up I guess that's more important for me right now, I'm just so anxious to get to goal:D Well I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday. Take care- Di

Yoyo Mom
03-29-2003, 06:31 AM
Hey, folks,

I'm hosting a my family's dinner/birthday party for my daughter tomorrow. My parents are bringing KFC (as always), though I plan on having some lower cal option. Any tips on making it through a get-together like this one without too much damage to one's diet?

Thanks,
-Deborah

angieME
03-29-2003, 10:03 AM
I lost 1 pound this week. I didn't have a slowdown like this in weight loss last time until I hit like 135. (I lost 8 pounds every month until I hit 135 last time) I wonder why it is slowing down now. I have been eating the same and walking 4 miles everyday. At this rate It will take me 6 months to lose the last 22 pounds.Hopefully next week will show a better loss for me. Oh well, gotta keep movin forward.

Deborah, if you are having KFC then I would get a tender roast breast and a small serving of potatoe and get your own veggie or something like that. I hope that helps a little. Good Luck!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

jjules300
03-29-2003, 10:30 AM
hi everyone. I'm brand new to this site and love it already! i'd like to join this challenge. My 4-week goal is 7 pounds.

choci
03-29-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi everyone,

I am back again. :) I weighed in at 260 this morning and I'm setting my goal small this time -- I still want to get down to 255 (which was my goal for the last challenge!!!).

I'm not sure what I am doing lately... I've maintained for about a month, give or take a pound, right around the 50-pound total loss. Each new week I keep saying that it's time for phase two (the next 50), but it hasn't happened yet.

I dunno, I've been feeling really good about myself at this point, and I guess that is why I am stalling a little. But, I do want to reach my ultimate goal eventually, even if it takes a while (and it's better that way anyway, right?)...

All that said, count me in again. One pound or so a week should definitely be doable, right????

Good luck, everyone! And thanks for being there...

melekalikimaka
03-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Challenge Goal 6#s; #s Lost = 2

Happy Saturday everyone. Welcome to all the new challengees and everybody returning. I'm glad to see a bunch of new people who can give and receive support. It felt like I was in a slump last month but dare I say, this month I think I'm gonna do great?

I am down 2 lbs this week, weighing in @ 176. :dance: Bringing me to 39 lbs lost so far! Yippie! I really think I'm gonna do it this time, no giving up. Thanks for the awesome support and positive examples all of you set. You guys are great.

Congratulations to all the losers and maintainers...have a great weekend!

jen519
03-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Hi everyone. I didn't lose anything this week. I'm not working very hard at it, either, so it's not surprising. Worked a lot last week and did a LOT of fast food. One night it was subway which isn't too bad, but also Macdonalds, Pizza Hut...you get the picture. Will do better this week. I HATE watching that scale act like it's stuck! I'll check in later this weekend. Hope everyone has a good one.

Jen
238/228/140

laney1733
03-29-2003, 07:34 PM
hi everyone. i'm not using caps because i have a sick baby on me. yes, she is sick again. she has dipped below the 10th percentile for her age and the drs want us to take her for blood work because she's always sick and isn't gaining. sorry, a bit off topic. anyway, my loss for this week is two pounds. i'm feeling great because i never thought i'd actually get this far back when i first started. i'm down 45 pounds. i'm shopping in regular stores! all of the pants at lane bryant are too big! i never thought i'd see the day!
grizzlychick, you kick butt! you are doing amazing work!! i'm so excited for you! and angie, i have weeks where i only lose1 pound too. in fact, it happens more often than not! you're doing great! and jen, i had wendy's this week and pizza! it is part of life. hang in there, you'll make it. this is the hardest thing i've ever done. and i have three kids! :lol: Have a great one everybody!! TTFN,

Gennel
03-29-2003, 08:25 PM
Got to work! But had to pop in to say hi! I added all the newbies and edited the chart for this week. I will officially do a new chart next saturday!
ttyl,Gen

Kina
03-29-2003, 11:19 PM
Well I won't be joining in this challenge but I will be keeping myself active. I have been trying to keep from going over the 200 marker. I am doing good on that part even without exercise just watching what I eat.

Today was my induction to the Alpha Betta Gamma Honor Society. It was wonderful and I had to keep myself from getting all teary eyed. But of course as soon as I looked at my mom and saw how proud she was of me I started to cry. What a baby! I tried to keep myself from getting all emotional throughout the whole thing but once I saw mom I knew that was the end of it.

I also dropped one of my classes, which is the online course. It was so stressful and it was keeping me from concentrating on my other classes and was bringing my grades down. So I dropped it without any damage to my GPA.

Anyway enough about me...I am glad to see so many new people joining the challenge. Many thumbs go up for the losers! Amazing is all that I can say! Gennel great to hear things are going well with the house. Di, girl you are just melting away...you are truly inspirational! Jen it's always hard to get the scale to do as it is told when life get's in the way...keep to your goals. Laney I hope the little one gets better soon. Angie, yiiippppeee to you, keep on going it will all fall into place. Kempy love your new avatar. Then of course all the new people that I have yet to catch up on...many of you have set your goals small and some feel that they aren't as significant but always remember that the weight did not creep on us over night, it was a gradual process and that is how we need to tackle the weight loss. Focus, water, and perseverence it is possible!

Talk to you all later.
Kina

Angel26519
03-29-2003, 11:20 PM
Hi Everyone!!!!

laney - I will pray for your baby! I hope she gets better soon....

Angie - 1# is Great!!!! Dont take the small successes for granted!!!! You are on the right track!

Grizzly- WOW!!!!!! You are definetely an inspiration!!!!

Well since yall weigh in on Saturday I got on the scale this morning and I am where I was on Thursday so count me in as 200.5 which was a weight loss from last week of 2#'s.

I am off to bed - way too tired to stay up!!!

Yoyo Mom
03-30-2003, 07:11 AM
Good Morning,

I'm down a pound this week, which puts me on track for my 4 pound challenge. Today is my daughter's birthday party so I'm glad I got that little boost to help keep me focused on my goal.

Serina, I am so sorry to hear about your sick baby. I feel just awful whenever my daughter is sick or hurt and it must be very stressful for you. I hope the doctors figure out the problem soon!

Congratulations to all you losers AND to all you pluggers who are not seeing results on the scale at the moment. It's great to come here and be inspired by those who are losing. But it's also great to see folks working at their goal even when the scale is being coy (I've certainly worked hard at times only to see the scale go up!). Stick to it, and the loss *will* come when it's ready!

Ciao,
-Deborah

FrouFrou
03-30-2003, 01:03 PM
Thought I would check in. I am totally up for this challenge! I normally weigh in on Monday morning and will do so tomorrow morning but will start weighing in on Saturday as you all do. I guess I missed that Gennel, not sure why, otherwise I would have weighed in yesterday.

You all seem like a GREAT bunch of ladies and I look forward to getting to know you. CONGRATULATION'S to all of you for the weight loss!:bravo: You all have done so well, I'm hoping to do the same.

Serina, so sorry to hear about your little one. I always hated seeing my children sick. I too hope the doctors find out what is wrong, take care.

Hope everyone has a GREAT day!

laney1733
03-30-2003, 01:14 PM
Good morning everyone. It is nasty here! After highs in the 70s most of last week, it is 29 today. YUCK! So there will be no walking in the park today.:( Thanks for the well wishes for my dd. Looks like we'll be back at the drs tomorrow. We're regulars! So I'm going to sit in this house all day. I'm going to paint my toenails. Doesn't that sound exciting? Take care everyone and happy losing!:)

plb112467
03-31-2003, 09:43 AM
I am a little confused!! I weighed in last week at 205. Used 205 as my starting weight for this challenge, and set my goal at a loss of 8 lbs! Well okay, so I did the same as usual on my eating all week last week, went a little over on my calories on both Saturday and Sunday, but I did not go crazy!! Didn't get as much exercise as I should have last week I admit that but why oh why did my scales read 207 this morning??????

I got a great workout yesterday, we did yard work from about 12:30 until 4:00PM. I was worn out last night! I don't get it!!??!!

Well, I hope everyone else is ding better than I am! Welcome Angel, congrats on the up coming wedding!!

YOYO Mom, I hope you don't mind but I would like to borrow your saying " Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!", I love that!! ;)

angieME
03-31-2003, 09:51 AM
Paula, I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I haven't lost weight well ever since either. I have no idea what caused it either.

Clarita
03-31-2003, 03:06 PM
Hi, Trying to get back on track here. I am signing up for classes at a Pilates Studio. I will let you all know how it goes. These classes are supposed to be great for toning muscles. We have lots of tempting treats in our office this week it is hard to resist. You guys are doing awesome. It's inspiring to hear all of your successes every week.
Claire

Kempyd
03-31-2003, 03:38 PM
I think I am going to have to make a cheat sheet with everyones names on it so I can keep track of everyone now. WOW this thread is really rockin' and rollin'.

I thought it might be good for me to test my body fat again today. Lets just say it wasn't a good idea so I will do it again next week to make sure that I was doing it right.

jen519
03-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Well...I had planned to have a bowl of soup for lunch, but the company where I work is buying lunch for everyone since it's one employees b-day. I guess they do it for everyone. Anyway, sometimes they give us a menu and we can choose whatever we want. This time, they're ordering chicken. I don't know what kind or what is coming with it. I just hope I can eat in moderation!
Unlike yesterday, when I took my daughter to the movies and we snarffed down mass quantities of popcorn, junior mints, and milk duds. I didn't realize just how bad I'd binged until dd said, "Mom, I only ate about 5 of those milkduds and now there are only 2 left." And we're talkin' the giant movie size ones. She only had about 3 of the junior mints! I can't imagine where the rest of them went:o
Here's to better days!

Jen
238/228/140

Yoyo Mom
03-31-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey all,

I did pretty well yesterday despite the party. I skipped breakfast and lunch which I know is dumb in general but I figured would be OK for a special occasion. I've sworn off sweets for Lent so the cake and ice cream were off limits anyway. Didn't have any KFC, but I did have a few ribs and a handful of Jax as well as some (well, OK, lots of) sushi. Sushi isn't the wonder diet food I used to think it was since I know white rice has a high glycemic index, but I gotta figure it's still better than KFC (as you can tell, I'm not a low-carber). Still, I don't know how many cals I ate total so I claimed yesterday was a wash.

For those of you whose scales are being uncooperative, that is why I count calories when I'm trying seriously to lose weight. I know my weight losses are completely overwhelmed by random water fluctuations depending upon time of day, time of month, recent salt or coffee intake, bulkiness of recent meals, etc, etc, etc. Also, by counting calories, I know the scale shows more early weight loss than is real and I try to set my expectations accordingly for the inevitable plateau or bump up in weight. When that happens, I can see my loss total according to my calorie calculations still climbing and the total I log has never yet caught up to what I was seeing on the scale (though I could be stalled for weeks if not months). So, in fact, although my goal for this month is 4 pounds, I'm really telling myself that the goal is a 14K calorie deficit according to my logging, and the scale be damned. That's what works for me; YMMV.

But even if you don't count calories, just stick to it and keep the faith. If you are eating less than you are burning, you will see results even if your progress according to the scale is bumpy. You have real weight loss success already to be proud of. Keep at it!

Paila, of course I don't mind your borrowing my sig. I got it from 3FC (and I also love the saying I heard here: "A year from now you'll wish you started today!").

Clarita
03-31-2003, 06:56 PM
I hate when people comment about my weight..be it noticing a loss or a gain. I just feel like people are invading my privacy when they ask me if I have lost weight. Is that weird?

angieME
03-31-2003, 07:36 PM
Clarita, I am the same way. When I lost all of my weight the first time I got so sick of people talking about it and pointing it out. I caught myself all the time covering my stomach when people would start to talk about my weightloss because it made me so self conscious.

The worst people are the ones who will go up to people and point out a weight gain to them like they don't know they have gained weight. It is so rude I would love to smack them. :lol:

Apple Blossom
04-01-2003, 02:40 AM
My sister-in-law cooked a huge awesome dinner last night and I totally binged. Yum. So today I tried real hard to keep calories low and I think I did alright. We have no sweets in the house right now, that helped. And no beer. I'd like to keep it like that for a while, although the kids will protest about sweets and DH about the beer. Too bad, family. I did make the mistake of skipping breakfast. I had a bagel for lunch and then at about 4:30 I crashed. My blood sugar must have been all messed up because I felt dizzy and sick in general. I had a BIG snack of good stuff like raisins and nuts and then I felt better. I think I've had way too much sugar in my diet lately so I'm going to concentrate on reducing that.
Bad news about my knee, it seems to be getting worse and worse. My husband thinks my miniscus is torn and is falling apart. Although at this point in my life it's hard to find time to run, it has been a favorite pass time of mine. I hope my running days are not over. I am seroiusly thinking about a triathlon at the end of the summer. 500 yds swim, 11 mi bike and 3 mi run. It's with in my reach, as long as the knee is OK. We'll see!

Yoyo Mom
04-01-2003, 07:56 AM
Claire,

It is *not* weird to feel awkward when people ask if you have lost weight. But try to cut them some slack; they are probably trying to be nice and/or supportive. Now, the ones who comment on weight gain have no such excuse. I've never had any of that (except from DH, and he has gotten as good as he's given) except the one time my SIL asked if I was pregnant (and I wasn't). :o

-Deborah

plb112467
04-01-2003, 09:48 AM
It's only Tuesday! I am ready for this week to go on by! Why I don't know, maybe it's because I was lazy again this morning and skipped my work out, slept right through it! Oh well tomorrow is another day!

I agree about people making comments about weight loss! In one way it is nice if it is someone who knows what you have gone through, and says it as a serious compliment! But if it is someone I barely know, it does make me feel funny!! Almost as if they are saying it's about time! It is a sticky situation!

Y'all have a good OP day!!

Kempyd
04-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Apple be careful with that knee. One of my members runns marathons and he has to get shots in his knee almost evry month b/c he wont stop running. His wife is worried that one day he wont be able to walk very well. I am just worried about you so take it easy.

Sometimes I think that the people who tell me that I look like I lost weight are just trying to find something to say. If they have top try that hard I would much rather them not say anything at all.

I didn't make my workout this morning either Paula. Don't feel bad. I am going to try to do something this afternoon. I did go for a walk yesterday but my shins were hurting so I coulnd't run. I only went around the subdivision once so that is a mile. I did have a major mess up once I got home though. Joe wasn't home and I had one of my bindging episodes. I am so upset at myself! I sat down with a box of chocolate covered macadamia buts and I think I must have had about 15, and these things were not the size of a M&M peanut either. I am trying not to tear myself apart because of iut because the damage is already done. I just can't beleive I was falling back into the same old habit.

Clarita
04-01-2003, 02:12 PM
MMM Chocolate covered macadamia nuts.
I am a sucker for chocolate of any kind.
I tried those *no pudge* fat free brownie mix and they were actually pretty good..they are really rich so you don't feel like eating too much.

Thanks for the comments about the weight loss comments. I know sometimes people are meaning to compliment you but it just comes off the wrong way.
Kempy: I am sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you in La. I completely forgot that you lived nearby! I was in town for a conference for a week I was working a booth.
:(

Hope you are all having a great week so far.

plb112467
04-01-2003, 02:27 PM
I will try to get a walk in this afternoon, our weather is beautiful today! Thanks Kempy! Don't worry about your binge yesterday. I believe that is something we will all have to deal with from here on out! That sucks I know; but I believe I will anyway! I think about food all the time!! I have some how (for the most part), taken control over my food desires since January, but with a few slip ups of course!! Just start over, I think I may have to start over everyday for the rest of my life!

melekalikimaka
04-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Kempy watch out for those mac nuts...they have a laxative effect if you eat too many (believe me, I know) . Picturing you w/a box of chocolate covered mac nuts makes me think of Christmas time at my house. We always buy a bunch of extra boxes (2 dozen a box) for emergency gifts. Some years we don't even give them away and when my sisters come over we go through a box a day until they're gone. :p I vow not to do that this year though.

Paula, I start over everyday and have to constantly remind myself that food is nourishment and I'm eating to live, not living to eat. It's hard, but we CAN and ARE doing it.

Clarita, where'd you find 'no pudge' brownie mix? Sounds interesting. I'm a chocolate fiend too, especially dark chocolate.

Kempyd
04-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Claire I would love to know where you found them too. I would probably eat to many of them though as i do with all chocolates.

Noelle I had no idea about those nuts being that way. That explains alot about hubby. :lol: His mom sends them from Cali and he will eat a jar in one sitting. Do I need to go on? :lol:

angieME
04-01-2003, 04:27 PM
I have seen the No Pudge Brownie mix at Shaws and Shop n Save supermarkets in my state.

Apple Blossom
04-01-2003, 05:26 PM
I think Trader Joes has No Pudge. I've never tried them though. My SIL made home-made brownies for dessert last week-end. Oh boy they were good.....
Kemp, thanks for your concern about my knee. As a stay-at-home mom, I really don't have the time to take running seriously anyway. But when the kids are both in school 5 days a week I'm going to be real itchy....I've tried walking as a form of exercise but I don't find it effective. I need to walk about 8 miles a day to lose weight and I don't have time. Maybe if I tried to walk FAST... I think I'm already doomed to have arthritus in the knee some time down the line...

Yoyo Mom
04-01-2003, 07:19 PM
They were giving out tastes of "No Pudge" brownies recently at Trader Joe's. I couldn't partake because it was during Lent, but my daughter (age 6) gave them a rave review. It comes as a mix and you add apple sauce (if I remember correctly). I've also seen recipes in the past for making brownies from scratch using apple sauce instead of oil.

I've found that the days *after* the party have been harder to stay OP than the actual day of the party (though I've been managing it barely). I guess it's partly the leftovers that have been calling my name and the fact that the party itself didn't last long, so I could keep my guard up easily enough then.

Well, the leftovers won't last much longer. DH is taking care of them.

Later,
-Deborah

Gennel
04-02-2003, 12:08 AM
Wow , I really have to catch up with all the new posts in here! .
Di I've said this a million times " YOU HAVE TO Send me Pics!" IF you think you just have to be at your goal before you do that I can understand! lol But trust me You have determination and I am so damn proud of you girl! I cant even imagine going as far as you've gone already! I lost 64 lbs and I thought the day would never come. You must feel like a whole different person.
Angie, it also bugs me when people dont give it a rest about " how did you lose all the weight?" comments. They all think I did some special diet and want me to write everything down for them. I think its more determination than any recipe you can write down , to lose this weight! I still feel self concious when I get all eyes on me now cause I look so different! And yet I'm just normal! I took my girls for some clothes shopping and my heart went out to my 11 yr old daughter. She's outgrown most of her clothes and sometimes ends up borrowing from my clothes. This week she couldnt find anything that fit , I looked everywhere in the store and everything tight on her. FInally I found some cute shorts and a skirt that fit her. By this time she was almost in tears. She's really not a "fat" girl. But she is thick and she is starting to notice that. I tried before to help her eat healthier and that was mission impossible. Every 30 minutes she wanted a snack,.like all she thought about was her next snack. But something happened yesterday that came from her. I asked her what she wanted for Breakfast and its usually 2 poptarts and a glass of milk. But this time she tells me " Mom I just want 1 poptart and lowfat milk. Every tuesday I usually get them Pizza Hut cause its $5 for a medium with 1 topping. Today after school she said " NoPizza! " She came home and got unsalted crackers and a slice of fatfree cheese. I didnt say a word to her but I wanted to cry cause , I dont know why ...cause I'm mom lol. I will be watching her closely though. She is the type to eat very little for dinner but then wants a bowl of icecream as soon as she tells me that she is full from dinner lol. Geeze I canremember being her age and just wanting to be like my other friends! They were all around 110 lbs at age 15 and I was 130 lbs at age 15!
I dont know whats wrong with my mailbox but I'm gonna delete a few of them so I can receive new messages! PLEASE , if I didnt put your weightloss this week send me a PM and I'll edit the chart .
ttyl!
Gen

shimmers
04-02-2003, 02:11 AM
Hello everyone!
Is it too late to join you? This is my first post to 3FC -- I really enjoyed everyone's enthusiasm and energy, and hope I can find a home with your challenge. I've lost 65 pounds (with 100 yet to go) and I've stalled out ... grrrr. But I am resolute and in this for the long haul, so instead of wallowing, I'm getting back on the treadmill with a goal of 6 pounds this month. It's spring in Northern Cal and the hiking trails are calling!

melekalikimaka
04-02-2003, 03:41 AM
Welcome shimmers. Glad to have you. First off, big congratulations on your loss so far! That is awesome :cp: . If it's inspiration you need you'll find it here. I'm finding it very motivating to have this online group of friends I can turn to when the going gets tough. I wouldn't have kept at it if not for finding 3FC. This thread has a wonderful bunch of gals, all of us in various stages of weight loss/maintenance. I'm sure you'll be right at home. So tell us a little more about you. What was your "lightbulb" moment that made you decide you wanted to get healthy? (Yeah I'm a nosy one aren't I :lol: ) Good luck and again, welcome to the challenge.

Aloha!

Angel26519
04-02-2003, 08:13 AM
Hi All!

I just wanted to check in and let you know that I lost 1/2 pound last week.... for me that is real good.... you know those horible hormones.,....

31 days till the Wedding!!!! Trying to get everything finished so that the last 2 weeks I can just relax (YEAH RIGHT!). The only thing I have to finalize is the videographer and the dj(we have hired them -just need to hook up). At the last minute yesterday I decided we were going to do an engagement photo. I know it is a little late but oh well... my photographer just does such incredible work I cant help myself.

I have done pretty good with working out this week. I am going and doing about 30 minutes on cardio and upper or lower body circuit training workout each morning - which is not as much as I normally do but have decided this month not to do too much or feel obligated to do too much that way I am not disappointed in myself..... I am also walking in the evening... all of this does help with the stress.

Anyway, I am off.... will chat with yall later.

jen519
04-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Welcome Shimmers. I'm interested in what got you started on a healthy track too. You and the other amazing women I've encountered on this thread who have worked so hard and continue to do so. I've lost a piddling 10 pounds and am JUST NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH. It's like I have no motivation at all. I'm not watching what I eat at all the last few weeks. Walking only from bus-stop to work and back. I did take the long way to the sandwich shop yesterday at lunch, but really not taking any of this seriously. What keeps people motivated? I'd be really interested in finding out. Maybe something will strike a chord in me.

Jen
238/228/140

choci
04-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone, and welcome Shimmers! I am in the same boat, just about... I have lost just over 50 pounds, with 100 some to go, and have stalled out in the past month. Forunately I have maintained, give or take a pound or two... but I am still determined to keep going to reach my big goal!

I started up again full force this week and feeling positive and hopeful. It's been a little tough, but I am sticking pretty well to my program and getting back to exercise, too. Unfortunately, like the beginning of every challenge, I have TOM and I almost never see a loss during my TOM week anymore.

Good luck, and glad you're with us!

As for the comments people make about noticeable weight loss, I have to be the dissenting voice here, I guess! I love it when people make comments about how I look... I never take it as a criticism. (Although, maybe I was a little rankled when my dad and stepmom said, "Oh! You're getting your figure back!"... but that's another story altogether...)

For a while I was disappointed that not many people were saying anything until one of my friends said that she hesitated to say something for fear of hurting my feelings! I see now, after what a lot of you have said, that she was correct in being concerned. :)

And, come to think of it, unless I was very close with someone, I guess I wouldn't just come out and hand someone a weight-related compliment, either. It can be a delicate issue!

~Amy

Kempyd
04-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Angel I am sure that you are so excited about the big day. I had alot of fun when I got married. And hey, 1/2 pound is nothing to sneeze at.

Jen don't give up. The fact that you keep coming to the site shows that you have determination. We are all here to support you in any way that you need.

Hi shimmer glad you could join in. I was hooked as soon as I found this place. Everyone is so helpful.

Gen I remeber what it was like when Iwas younger too. I was the heavy one of the group and I hated it. I could never where the cute stuff all of my friends were wearing. All I have to say is, thank goodness that the low rise pants that are out now where not in fashion when I was younger b/c I would never have been able to wear them.

I am going to ask my MIL to get some of those brownies for me. She has a Trader Joe's right by her house. They really do sound good.

grizzlyschick
04-02-2003, 09:27 PM
:) Hi all. Gen- I know I keep promising to send pics and will as soon as I hit goal. TOM is here and I've been on a plateau since the middle of last week- I feel like screaming!:p Losing the 1st 166 was nothing compared to trying to lose this last 24. I swear it feels like I have to fight to get every darn pound off! I'm praying that when I come of the plateau I'll have a good loss though. Clarita- the comment thing I can truly understand. People feel they have a right to ask me all kinds of questions from, " I bet you feel better with all that weight off", to my least favorite lately, " I bet the sex is much better now." I'm a semi reserved person and the last question has been asked by at least 4 different people the last 2 weeks. I just keep reminding myself that though the compliments are nice, the other comments I can just let roll of my back, because I'm doing this for me and no one else's opinion matters. It took a while for me to reach that point- but thank God I have:) Hi Shimmers- Welcome to the group:wave: Well everyone see you Saturday. I'm betting on still being plateau ridden, but I'm crossing my fingers for a loss. Take care all. Di

shimmers
04-03-2003, 01:57 AM
THANK YOU for the wealth of welcomes! It's truly motivating, especially after a long day of student conferences cutting into my walk time with my dog.

Before I say what worked, I have to say my stall has been as stall of about a year in a 2 1/2 year process that began in August 2000. In the past 3 months I've gained back 1 jeans size, but I still hold on to an optimism and resoluteness. I just tell myself I'm in it for life, that this IS a part of my life and who I am. AND I can still say I haven't had a fastfood burger or fries in 2 1/2 years. And I don't care if it's a long stall, I haven't gained it all back, so I'm Still in the good.

I started this as part of an overall life change. Ended a 2+ year relationship with a man who mushed my heart. Lost two lovedones. Had gall bladder surgery. and thought, "I'm 30 years old. This is Not what my life is going to be." Started getting my body and mind on the same page ... I really think fitness is about Total body, mind, spirit, relationship, career, family and home fitness.

When I'm at my best, I think attitude is my biggest ally -- I had always seen myself as a fat girl with fat habits (interested in books, friends, cafes and other sedentary things) and told myself a lot of junk about how I couldn't get out there and be active, how other people would see me as clunky and clumsy, how I was simply destined to be heavy. I was my worst head trip. So the biggest hurdle for me was Not the exercise hurdle, but all the defeating thoughts Before the exercise. "Stop thinking. Just do it and argue with yourself later. Like **** I'm not a jock -- I'm a hikerchick, dang it, a treadmill warrior. Let the critics Bite Me. Okay, so I'm tired, right now -- at 7pm tonight will I feel better about myself if I exercised today? Oh Yah." .... Lots and lots of talk-back to my inner critic.

That and 64 oz water, a strict boycott of fastfood, 5 x week exercise, a food/exercise journal and a modified food pyramid. When I'm at my best. I did it for 1 1/2 years, moved from Washington to California (my homestate) and just lost some focus for awhile. But I really like who I am on this journey and I don't want to fall back into berating myself -- it's wasted energy when it's so very possible to start each day as a new chance to be the person I want to be.

eek, a novel for my first real post ... I promise, more moderate posts (mostly) in the future.

plb112467
04-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Thank you for the motivation!! I have been needing it!! I had a tough day; day before yesterday, went a little overboard with my eating. But I had a great day yesterday, felt like I was right back on track!

I got ALL my water in, did my 30 minute cardio workout yesterday morning (and this morning), and got a nice 3/4 mile walk yesterday afternoon. So now I am trying to stay on track today!!

It is a struggle, but it is nice to know we are not alone!!!!! That is what I love about 3FC!

Noelle. your new picture is beautiful! :D

Hope everyone is doing well!

Gennel
04-03-2003, 10:03 AM
Welcome Shimmers! I just entered you in the challenge! I'm not here as often as I'd like to be but I love this place! I joined 3fc when I lost my first few pounds. It's truly been helpful to keep me motivated . We all started at different weights and sizes but we all have the same thing in common. We wanted to get the weight off! I talked to so many people online trying to find out which was the easiest way for me to reach my goal. Well I found out, there is NO easy way! I still dont love to do exercise but.....when I miss one day I feel guilty and like I'll gain all my weight back overnight. Later this month I am celebrating 6 months since I reached goal. It will be something to celebrate in October when I reach 1 yr at goal weight. I dont "hate" exercise , I only like it because I know that is one of the main keys to keeping the weight off. Its weird huh? lol

Well getting off the subject, our troops are 5-10 miles from Baghdad and are waiting for orders of what to do next. It's extremely hot there now and they will have to all get into those suits and masks once they get in there. Our prayers are with all of them and their families.

ttyl,Gen

Angel26519
04-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Hi Everyone-

Just a quick check in. I am too busy these days. I cant wait till this wedding is over and I can get my life back.....

Kemp - I am excited about the wedding (now) - I have been panicing lately but this week I think I have everything in order and can kinda coast for the next 30 days. (YEAH RIGHT!)

Paula - Where in Georgia do you live? I live in Covington. We seem to be in very close weight/goal situations.

I agree with Gen we all need to pray for those troups!

Kempyd
04-03-2003, 11:25 AM
Shimmer you have really made me take a look at myself and what I am doing about me. Not much is the answer right now. I always seem to do this to myself and I honestly don't know why. I did wonderful at the start of the year and now I am kind of falling back into the old ways. I guess I really need to sit down and evaluate what is going on inside me.

angieME
04-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone! My period messed with me really badly this month. I have wasted the last 4 days pigging out and didn't know why until my period started early. Anyways, I am back! I am ready to regroup and lose the rest of this weight! I am committed to doing it. I do feel bad at how much food I have consumed this weekend though. I don't understand how come I can't eat in moderation.

Gennel, You have done so well maintaining so I have a question for you. Do you ever just go off track for a couple of days and have to drag yourself back into the groove or have you been totally on track for the last 6 months. I can't understand how I can want something so badly and then go and screw myself up and fall into my old habits over night. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I can honestly say that I am ready to continue losing now.

plb112467
04-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Hey everybody!

Angie thanks for asking Gen that question about maintaining, I can't wait to hear her answer! I wonder if I will ever get to goal!! cause I have a LOOOONG way to go , but when I do I worry that I will not be able to maintain it! Because I am a food-a-holic!!!!

Angel, I live in Camilla, you may not have heard of Camilla (we are kinda small), but you have probably heard of Albany, we are 30 miles south of Albany on Hwy 19. very south GA. We have had beautiful weather here this week, perfect for walking!!!! We are close in miles and goals, I just wish I could get down there with you at 200!! Hopefully in a week or two!!!!

Y'all have a good day!!:)

Dips'n'twists
04-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Ciao Ladies,

I updated my avatar in support of my friends in the middle east. I want to say congrats to all the losers. And those who are not going as fast as they plan, just keep at it.

I miss coming here regularly but we are at war now and my duties don't allow me to be on the web enough to keep up woth you movers and shakers, but as I said before, I will be in and out regularly to say hi.

I am losing weight but it's all because of stress, but i'll take it how i can get it :)

You guys are doing great. I'm proud of all of you (even the ones I don't know) I hope I get better aquainted with some of you over the weekend.

Later Gals,

-Dips-

angieME
04-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Dips I am so glad that you posted. I was just thinking of you today. How are you holding up? Do you think you will be sent to Iraq? I hope not. I am glad to hear that you are still losing but it's too bad that that has to be the reason. We are thinking of you.

Dips'n'twists
04-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi Angie!!

I'm fine, it's my friends that I worry about. As far as me going to the dessert, I don't know, it's always a possibility.

But its good to hear from you as well. You've come so far and you are more determined than you give yourself credit for. It takes a lot of hard work to come as far as you have and I know how crazy the period can make us sometimes but you gotta stick with it girl, it's gonna get warm soon!

No matter what Angie, you are coming along just beautifully. I'll be online this weekend trying to play catch up. I also have monday off so I'll be home glued to the tv watching out for my buddies. I don't know if you've seen or not but the mass paratrooper jump that happened last week, were the guys I'm stationed with. A lot of them are my close buddies. I'm so proud of them.

And again I'm proud of you, Angie and everyone making a concious effort to get healthy. Before I write a whole essay, I'll leave it at that.

-Dips-

Kina
04-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Big Smiles to everybody. Lots of new people...big welcomes to you all.

I have been busy with school as usual but I think of you all often which keeps me in line with my eating. I have just a brief moment so I just wanted to come in here and say hello to all of you.

Big hugs go out to Di, Dips, Jen, Kempy, Angie, Gen, and all that I don't know by name.

I will talk to you all later.

Hugs & Smiles, Kina

Kina
04-03-2003, 03:34 PM
I love your avatar Dips.

Say hello to all your friends and tell them we send them big hugs with lots of kisses.

Love, kina

jen519
04-03-2003, 06:21 PM
Good to see you Dips. Love your new avatar!
I love it when I pop in and see so many new posts. It's great to hear how everyones doing.
Thankyou for writing that "novel" Shimmers. I'd love to hear more stories like yours from the others who have so much success behind them (as well as ahead). I think today, I'm going to start back on track by drinking my water. It's about the simplest thing I can think of, and I had completely forgotten about it. I've been doing diet soda instead! Not a great choice. Water cooler...Here I come!

Jen
238/228/140

Angel26519
04-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Hello All!!!!!

Dips - I dont know you but know that I am praying for you and your friends... I hope this ends soon! Where are you in Italy???
My wedding is in 30 days and our honeymoon is going to be in Italy... we are going to be there for 14 days and are doing Rome and North.... how long have you been in Italy? Do you get a chance to get out and see anything?

I hope everyone else is doing good....

Yoyo Mom
04-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Welcome, Shimmers! I'm glad to hear from people who have managed to become active. I'm not there yet, but at least I know it *could* happen!

Dips, my thoughts and prayers go out to all the troops, especially your friends in Iraq.

I have a little bit of news. I just got my cholesterol levels checked for the first time in about 15 years. Last time, I was about 40 pounds lighter, belonged to a health club (and went!) and ate a low-fat diet but I still clocked 210 (borderline high). I figured it was genetic and tried to ignore it. My new reading came in at 153 (abnormally low)!!! Not only that, but the HDL ratio was good, despite my currently sedentary lifestyle. My risk of CAD is 40% lower than average. Go figure! I was bracing myself for a statin prescription! I guess it's because I've been dieting. Hopefully, by my next checkup a year from now I won't be dieting anymore so I might get a reading that reflects reality. In the meantime, I guess I'm not doing any damage to my arteries.

Has anyone else experienced these swings in cholesterol readings?

-Deborah

P.S: I've been OP so far this week and an early peek at the scale looks very promising...

shimmers
04-04-2003, 01:23 AM
You all had such good days -- with good news, renewed resolve or positive actions ... it's wonderful to come online to read (and one of the benefits of coming online, like Noelle in Hawaii, hours behind the east coast). I'm going to Virginia next week and sooo looking forward to it!

Thanks for adding me Gen. 6 months at goal -- that's worth celebrating :)

Dips, I hope you remain safe and well over there. My nephew spent a few days in Italy, but is now somewhere near Baghdad with Fox Company 2/5 (being covered, thankfully, by a Nightline/ABC news reporter). Like you, my sister is watching the tv, looking for the faces of her son and his peers.

Thanks to you all, I took Kenji (my dog) on a 30 minute neighborhood walk, drank about 40 oz water, and ate moderately. Not a bad day.
~Shimmers

Misti in Seattle
04-04-2003, 01:31 AM
Hi... just thought I would toss my two cents in here also! Amy, I agree... I love it when people notice my weight loss! Sure not going to offend ME any!! :cb:

Sue

Misti in Seattle
04-04-2003, 01:35 AM
Hi Dips... and thanks for the great avatar! Just to say THANKS for your service and to let you know I am praying for you and all your friends!! You are appreciated! :cp: :bravo:

Sue

Dips'n'twists
04-04-2003, 03:59 AM
Ciao Ladies,

I want to thank you all for your continued support for me, my friends and the countless sons and daughters defending freedom overseas. Now i would like to address you individually,

Corina, aka kina- First, your latest avatar is awesome as well. You have such a beautiful face and smile. Thank you for your prayers, I feel them everyday when i wake up.

Jen- always good to see you too. I know drinking water seems like a simple thing but it really isn't. In fact in Boot camp at the end of the day we'd be ordered to hold our canteens over our heads and if the tiniest trickle came out we'd have **** to pay. So all day we're drinking away. So don't beat yourself up over it it takes major practice :)

Angel- Good to meet you. I appreciate your support and encouragement. I'm in Vicenza, that's no where near rome but venice is pretty close. Italy is just beautiful and the people are great, so is the food. You and your hubby to be will have a great time. Congrats to you and good luck

Yoyo Mom- I'm praying right along with you for my friends in Iraq. But they are doing well and they're keeping eachother in good spirits. Way to go on keeping the arteries clean :)

Shimmers- Another newbie to me. Welcome and thank you for your kind words. Your nephew is a part of an elite group and I Salute him and you for your dedication. Great soldiers come from great families and though i don't know him I'm honored to be serving with him.

Dance4joy- what a cool screne name! As you appreciate me i appreciate you, for it's the spirit of americans like you that make us soldiers feel honored to serve.

While you all continue to pray for the troops remember to go out and enjoy the freedom for which they are fighting. It's what they want for you, the great americans who make it all worth it.

With that ladies lets get to it and do well this challenge. We have our own battels going on if you know what i mean. Our troops will win theirs so make sure you win yours!

-Dips-

melekalikimaka
04-04-2003, 05:05 AM
Hey Dips, glad to hear from you again. I really hope and pray that you and every other soldier fighting on our behalf are kept out of harms way. I don't think we've ever "met" but I feel privliged to read your posts on this thread. I am so grateful that our military is so prepared and confident going into this war. My hubby was in the Army Nat'l Guard for 10 years but got out about 3 years back. In a selfish way I am glad he's not in anymore. I just wanted again to say thanks to you and all your comrades in arms for defending our freedoms. It is a privilege that most of us take for granted too often. Keep smiling and stay safe out there.

Aloha from sunny Hawaii :grouphug:

Kempyd
04-04-2003, 01:50 PM
Dips I love the new pic. Do you work for a radio station?

Shimmer thanks for the PM it really helped my day get going.

YoYo good work on the lower numbers. It is great when tests come back showing that you have been wokring hard.

I am not doing well (I don't think at least) My eating has been kind of bad so I am trying to kick myself in the rear to get going again. My gym is having a party tomorrow and we are honoring those who have done well and lost the most body fat % so maybe that will give me the kick that I need.

angieME
04-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Kempy, Have fun at the beach party tomorrow. That sounds like so much fun. You helped me so much while I was going through my week of bad eating. If there is anything I can do for you just let me know. KICK ( I )!!!! haha

Yoyo Mom
04-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Hey folks,

The weigh-in is tomorrow so behave yourselves tonight!

My hubby brought home some supermarket sushi for me and while it was a thoughtful gesture, it contained a nutrition panel that gave me a shock. The 8 pieces (which in non-diet days I would consider a snack) contained 520 calories!!! I had it for dinner but it put me 60 calories over budget for the day. Sigh. I was hoping to catch up today; I'm just a smidge behind on the challenge to date, calories-wise. The scary thought is what the total must have been for the party day. Oh, well, I'm not going to look back, but I'll be a lot more careful counting calories in the future!

Till tomorrow!
-Deborah

shimmers
04-05-2003, 12:37 AM
Weigh in tomorrow? and I just had Ben & Jerry's, argh. ... Took Kenji for a walk though and ate well otherwise though the day. Had a flattering moment when a friend I used to date introduced me to a friend of his -- a man he's been telling about me. ... I'm 34, a teacher and a happy dog owner. When will I stop feeling silly over little compliments?

Deborah -- 520 calories for 8 sushi? eek. Sounds fishy to me ;)

Kempy -- a gym that throws a party? That's great! Mine just collected my money. An good gym is vital -- it's gotta be one you want to go to, one you feel comfortable in. Sounds like you have that.

In addition to weighing in, do we track our inches lost too?

Night everyone!
Shimmers

jjules300
04-05-2003, 06:33 AM
Happy Saturday everyone!It is 5:20 here and i couldnt wait to get up and jump on the scale this morning. looks like i am down only a quarter of a pound this week, but "down" is the operative word here.heehee. I dragged my butt back to the gym on thursday(i havent been there in a few months) and it did wonders for my psyche. I wish I understood why i would so readily quit going somewhere that makes me feel so good. The hard part is getting motivated to go there. anyway, cant wait to hear how everyone does today, and congrats to those who have already weighed in.

Yoyo Mom
04-05-2003, 07:31 AM
Well, I'm an early riser too so I'm here to report that I lost 1.5 pounds this week (for a total of 2.5 pounds so far on this challenge). That puts me a half pound ahead of my goal! :cb:

I was down another half pound earlier this week, but that sushi (actually, it was maki) and soy sauce may be causing some retention. OTOH, according to my calorie logging, I only "deserve" to lose 1 pound.

Oh, Shimmers, that was a good one about the sushi! :joker:

I'm amazed that I can still be blind-sided by some foods that I assume are reasonably low calorie. I've gotten past the major gotchas, but I guess I have to stay diligent. I remember my brother once telling me he couldn't figure why he wasn't losing weight because he had given up munching chips watching TV and switched to lettuce... with a jar of full-fat dressing. I think this was in the days before standardized nutrition labels (and our awareness of them) so it wasn't as obvious then.

I hope the scale is nice to everyone today!

Later,
-Deborah

choci
04-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Good morning everyone!

I'm in good spirits today after having a pretty crummy day yesterday. Amazing what a good night's sleep can do for your perspective. Also, I managed to get exercise in TWICE yesterday -- an unprecedented move on my part. I sure kicked some butt, and reaped the benefits on the scale today -- I am down to 257.5, a 2.5 pound loss for the challenge so far, and halfway to my challenge goal. I'm psyched!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Keep up the great work!

~~Amy

Palm Bay, Granny
04-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Loss for this week is 3.5lbs. I think my fat is finally on the run!! :D

I've had a long hard time of it but having 3FC's for support is I think just what I need to keep me motivated.:cb:

Venetia:strong:

grizzlyschick
04-05-2003, 10:22 AM
:D Dips- great to see you again! I'm glad you're doing well. Well everyone no loss for me this week. TOM has really kicked my butt this week. That's the only thing I miss about being the size I was-TOM rarely visited:D I'm going to work extra hard next week to get a loss. For some reason when TOM is here it doesn't matter how hard I work nothing happens:( so I'm not letting myself get down- I'll just keep on truckin'. Shimmers I loved your post- boy that was motivational:) . Hi Kina:wave: hugs to you too! Well all gotta run. Take care. Di

angieME
04-05-2003, 10:59 AM
No weigh in for me today! I have been so bad for the last week and my period is here so that I know I am bloated up and I don't need to see just how much. :lol: I am back on track and trying to undo the damage so hopefully next week I can show a good loss.Time to stay away from the Chinese food! CONGRATS to all the losers! Those of us at a standstill, we will have better luck next week!

melekalikimaka
04-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Good morning everyone :spin: . I am weighing in @ 174 this morning, which means 2 lbs down from last week :cb: . Amazing considering I had a meltdown last Sunday and ate til i was stuffed to the gills. I stayed on track during the week and got my exercise in so maybe my body's just ready to shed some fat. I'm not complaining :D .

Venetia, 3.5 #'s gone! Go Granny Go :dancer: . Yeah, let's watch our fat run to some skinny person's thighs for a change :lol: .

Choci 2.5#'s gone & 2 workouts in 1 day. You go girl. :cb:

Yoyo I love eating sushi too :T , but I usually have it as as main course since I can easily eat 8 pieces of nigiri. Still, for the calories it's relatively low in fat and an excellent soure of protein. I know what you mean though about being blindsided by some foods that you would've normally thought "legal" . Well as the saying goes, knowledge is power. More power to ya. 1.5# is great.

jjules, i jump out of bed EVERY morning and can't wait to jump on the scales (a sick addiction I know :o ) . Hooray for any and all downward movement. Keep it up!

Di maintaining is great. TOM'll be over soon and next week you'll have another awesome loss. You're doing fabulously.

Angie you just keep moving forward and don't look back. We all have to 'let loose' once in a while (even though
I do it more often than I should :lol: ) and you've made so much progress already. Thanks for waiting up for me :devil: .

So Shimmers, what's the low-down on this guy friend? ;) You didn't tell him about Ben & Jerry did ya? :lol: Good luck on the weigh in today.

Gen thanks for keeping this going.

Everyone else (sorry if I didn't mention you ALL by name-- this challenge is big, it's GREAT) congratulations on all the efforts--losers, maintainers and even gainers. We're all trying and we rock! have a great weekend.

laney1733
04-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Hi everyone! Been crazy busy here this week! It was nice most of the week so I took my walking outside. It's been lovely! Now, however, it seems winter is back. Ugh!! I'm glad to hear that everyone seems to be doing well! I just keep plugging away. I mess up all the time but just start over again! Yesterday I had Panera Bread AND Taco Bell. IN one day!! I probably would have had a 2 pound loss if not for that! As it stands, I'm down one pound this week. I got my bike out this week and my friend and I went riding. We did 11 miles the one day. It felt so good! I forgot how much I love it. I also forgot what rude buttheads (edited!) most drivers are. I swear I almost died three times, on one ride.:mad: Anyway, I've got laundry calling my name. Take care everyone!!

Dips'n'twists
04-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Ciao Ladies,

Just checking it really quick.

I don't remember who asked ( I think Kempy) but Yes I am a deejay for an army radio station

Melekalikimaka- Its not at all selfish that you're happy about your hubby being home now instead of the gaurd, he gave many years of selfless service and I salute him, I know he still supports us and I appreciate that. I'm happy that during this time you can be with him.

Grizzlychick- WHAT'S UP GIRL!! HAven't heard from you in a while. Good to hear from you agin too.

Well, Everything is still good with me. And I see a lot of you are doing good so keep it up. I gotta go now but I should be back soon

shimmers
04-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Ben & Jerry are no friends of mine -- lost only a half pound. (Maybe since it's only been six days since my last weigh in, tomorrow morning and a nice round 7 days will be kinder to me.)

JJules, Deborah, Amy, Venetia, Noelle and Serina -- you Rock! Do you know you lost 10 3/4 pounds last week??

Di -- I've never liked TOM -- a shady character who always shows up with chocolates and makes me feel cranky and tired.

Angie -- good for you, saying no to the scale! If it's not going to be a friend, you don't have to bother with it. Hope you feel great next week.

Well, I guess I should go get in a walk if I'm going to hope for good things tomorrow. (Oh, and Noelle, as for the friend-o-the-friend, he has my number -- so we'll see :"> )

1257 calories in a meal with a whopper no-cheese, regular fry, regular drink ... did I hear someone say "Subway?"
:)
Shimmers

Gennel
04-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi Ladies!
I've been working the weekends as usual . I didnt get to the gym lastnight ,instead we stopped by the pet supermarket just to get a filter! Well I walked around for a while and fell in love with a new corner fishtank. We have one of the much older tanks that are rectangular 30 gallons. This one I saw is awesome!It's a 44 gallon but it only takes up half thespace since its tall and a weird shape. Ihave to take pics lol
Dont ask me why but we bought it lastnight! The tank,wood corner stand,and all theaccesories including some really nice fak coral decorations....ouch! $300! and today I went to get more fishies :) Its all up and running and looks gorgeous for the new house, I cant wait!!!!!!!!!
Since I did'nt get a "gym workout" I decided to really wash,wax and shine my suv today. That was a bit of a workout trust me! Then I got brave and offered a free carwash to my husband and of course he said " **** yeah!" lol Dont ask me why I asked lol. That truck is a monster in front of me! lol Here I am a 5'2" woman washing an F150. lol lol

Palm Ba, Granny..Goal 6 lbs..loss 3.5 lbs

plb112467 Goal 8 lbs..Loss 2 lbs

Clarita..Goal 4 lbs

mbg..Goal 9 lbs

AngieMe..Goal 6 lbs..Loss 1 lb

melekalikimaka ..Goal 6 lbs ..Loss 2 lbs

Laney1733.Goal 6 lbs..loss 1 lb

grizzlyschick ..Goal 7 lbs

Angel26519 ..Goal 8lbs

Yoyomom ..Goal 4 lbs..Loss 2.5 lbs

Jen519..Goal 6 lbs

jjules300..Goal 7 lbs..Loss 1/4 lbs

Choci..Goal 5 lbs..Loss 2.5 lbs

Shimmers ..Goal 6 lbs

choci
04-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Wow, everyone's done really well this week -- and yes, even those of you who didn't show a loss. I think just checking in an being accountable is an achievement in itself. If I hadn't kept that up during my "downtime" who knows where I would have been today? You know???

And yes, TOM is terrible. I sympathize completely... it normally wreaks havoc with my weight, too. I guess I got lucky this time around, but I paid for it in cramps and achiness. I wonder if there is a correlation there?

Anyway... here's to another successful week coming up. We can do it!!!

~~Amy

P.S. I keep meaning to mention, Noelle, that your new avatar is gorgeous! You look fantastic. Very inspirational!

jen519
04-05-2003, 11:06 PM
Weigh-in? I'm up 3 stupid pounds. No big surprise. I just need to get back on track. I have NO willpower. I'm not giving up, though. Glad you guys are all here and doing so well, in spite of your own struggles. It's important to me to have a place to be able to talk about NOT doing so well with my eating, water drinking, and excersizing. That way, I won't just decide to completely give in to the food-craving, destructive behavior. At least that's what I'm hoping.
Shimmers, I think it was you who mentioned no fast food. I think in addition to my vow to drink more water, I'm going to aim for that one. I actually bought some good sandwich fixins' for next week's lunches. Then if I can manage to eat ONE serving at dinner of whatever I make, I'll be on my way. I know how to do this! I CAN!
A big congratulations to all the losers this week. Sometimes I feel envious and think, "If only I was that lucky". But luck doesn't have much to do with it. It's determination and hard work and every loss is earned. You guys are great!!!!

Jen

Angel26519
04-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi Everyone!!!!

Well I got on the scale yesterday and was up the 1/2# that I was down on Thursday!!!! so that means no gain; no lose.... UGH!!!!

Jen I am with you - there are times that I get so discouraged seeing everyone else going down and here I am the same ole same ole.... I am proud and excited for the others but also wish I was with them... for me I know that I have lots and lots of hormonal problems from a hysterectomy that I had 3 years ago but still I know that I should do more....

shimmers
04-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Hi everyone!
How is it that the scale can vary so greatly from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning? I'm not complaining -- it dropped another 1.5 pounds -- it just makes me distrust the darned thing whenever it does that. I'm waiting for it to pop back on, as it has done a time or two.
I have to say, I find the scale to be the least reliable and least rewarding measure of my successes. I measure myself regularly and look for each quarter inch lost. And then I celebrate. I feel more comfortable in my jeans one morning (or better yet, discover I've dropped a size). And then I celebrate. I hear a compliment (and it often includes fitness side-note benefits like glowing skin or bouncier step). And then I celebrate. I notice that I have more energy, and celebrate. I reach the end of my day feeling positive about myself because I got in a walk or drank my water, and celebrate.
The scale sucks. And considering that muscle weighs far more than fat -- the scale misrepresents your success. And considering that fitness is far more than weight loss -- the scale just doesn't do it. I walked Kenji, drank lots-o-fluids, and posted to my fitness friends, so that's success.
Night All,
Shimmers

Apple Blossom
04-07-2003, 02:45 AM
:angel:
Hey Shimmers, what a great, positive post!!! You go girl!!!
I hope I can relish each little success just as you do and consider it a step in the right direction. My scale might not even be working right (I think I weigh more than it says I do) so I'm going to make a mini goal of not stepping on until Thurs morning. And it's going to be a great week!!!!
Think positive and pray for peace.

plb112467
04-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Well here is my Monday morning check in since my home computer is down.

Anyway I first want to congratulate all of the "losers", and say hang in there to anyone who didn't show a loss or crept up a lb or so!! I was so discouraged last week, because I went up two lbs from my challenge starting weight of 205 to 207. Well now this week I am down to 203!!!! I guess it was only water retention last week!! Anyway I am taking the 203! I got off the scale and back on just to make sure I wasn't crazy!!!!

So I guess I have a two lb loss for the challenge so far!! Who knows what the scales will show next week????

Take care!!:D

Yoyo Mom
04-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi, Folks,

Shimmers, your're right on about the scale. That's one reason I have an alternative goal (to log 14K calories lost) in case the scale doesn't deliver for me. The pounds come off so slowly that when you throw in natural weight variation a weigh-in can really ruin your day. I like the month-long challenges because they are *usually* long enough to show some progress if the timing isn't lousy (TOM, etc).

Congrats to everyone checking in (losers or not) and thanks for keeping this thread a happening place. It's one of the things that helps boost my motivation. A recent week of warm weather also helped me because of thoughts of summer clothing (even though it's cold again now). Getting a physical and have the doctor recommend I lose weight (oh, *that* was a surprise, but somehow the reality still helps). Feeling good about what I've accomplished so far (which isn't very much yet, but it's the right direction). Anyone else want to share some motivation boosters that maybe others can share? I'd like to here them!

Thanks,
-Deborah

grizzlyschick
04-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone. Something happened today that has put a smile on my face. I had a doctor's appt with a doctor I had never met, over that seizure I had in January. Turns out it wasn't a seizure. I blacked out and had a convulsion. Anyway, what made me smile is the doc asked if I had any body changes last year and I told him I had lost 166 pounds in the last year. He refused to believe that I had ever been big! He looked at me and kept shaking his head. He said, " I'm sorry but I can't believe you were ever that big." I didn't know whether to be insulted or flattered. I told him that I had my license picture to prove it ( I'm not changing it until I hit goal). He said that looking at me it was hard to believe I could ever be over weight:D I showed him my picture and he just kept shaking his head and saying how incredible it was. It sounds stupid but this is the first real time I've actually realized that I'm not as big as I apparently keep thinking I am. It was like one of Oprah's light bulb moments:idea: I had gotten so used to having docs tell me I was fat, when I was bigger- yes they used that word. That to have one actually tell me I am thin was just a shock. I am literally on :cloud9:
So many losses last week you go girls:high: Those of us who didn't have a loss or even gained- here's hoping for a loss this week:lucky: Well gotta run- laundry's calling my name! Take care all. Di

Kina
04-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Congrats! and Applauds! Go to you Di! :bravo: You are amazing and a wonderful inspiration! I am glad to be able to know a real life success story!

Big hugs to you!

Hugs & Smiles,
Kina

Clarita
04-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Wow this thread has been busy. I can hardly keep up! I am maintaining right now. But I have just started a new workout program so lets see what affect that will have. I went to my first private Pilates lesson on Saturday. It was a lot of fun but tough there is so much to think about at one time: Breathing, flexing, moving, posture. Phew! I was so sore the next day, in fact I still am. I have signed up for 4 private sessions and 4 group lessons over the next month. It will be an exciting change from my usual routine of cardio & resistance machines. I hope you are all doing well!
Claire

Palm Bay, Granny
04-07-2003, 06:38 PM
:cb: Hi GrizzlyChick,, I am so excited for you. It always brings a tear to my eye to learn about someone who loses so much weight. I would like to give you a hug..:dancer:

My sister died 2 years ago from diabetes and heart disease and she had struggled with her weigh forever. She must have lost a thousand lbs in her life but they always found their way back.

I wish I could have seen the Drs face. I love this story!!! What Plan do you follow, if you don't mind my asking?
Good luck on your last few pounds.

Venetia

angieME
04-07-2003, 07:14 PM
I can see how that would definately make your day! I bet you look great! I can't wait until you post a pic so we can all see your smiling face. YEAH DI!! I am so proud of you!:bravo:

Apple Blossom
04-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Yes, a tear welled up in my eye... congrats on such wonderful success!!!
I am amazed, especially when I am stuggling just to lose 10 or 15 lbs. I am looking out my window to see my apple tree in bloom which means it's been about a year since I joined 3FC. And I'm exactly the same as last year too. How's that for meeting goals????
Well, I had a great day today and if I can string a few together I can jump start this thing. I mentioned this before: I am not even ready for short sleeves, much less shorts or swim wear. And the pool opens this week-end!!! Help! My son is dying to go. So help me stay out of the fridge tonight!!!!

shimmers
04-08-2003, 01:36 AM
:flow1: Apple Blossom, spring in Sacramento is a beautiful time for getting outside ... don't be afraid of the pool. You have to get into the pool, to get that pool-body, not the other way around. Have a great time!

kudos, Di! What a Great experience!:goodvibes

I didn't walk today, but did drink lots of water, was very productive (handed back 90 tests), did some yard work, and posted.

Take care,
Shimmers

choci
04-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Well, I must chime in with kudos to Di for her wonderful doc experience! Those can certainly be few and far between, infortunately. Way to go!

Claire, I am getting into Pilates big time recently, with videos. I'm thinking about taking a lesson just to make sure I am doing things right... but I am thinking I'm going to wait until I've lost a little more weight (vanity, I guess -- I know, it's stupid!). I have very high hopes for the changes in my body I think Pilates can really move along. It's exciting!

Now it's time to toot my own horn a little... I know weigh-in isn't until Saturday, but I am pleased to announce that my scale showed me at 254.5 this morning, which means I've surpassed my (albeit little) challenge goal by .5 pounds! The rest is gravy, woo hoo! ;) I hate to sound to self-congratulating, but after that looonnng plateau, this is veryyyyy exciting! I couldn't have done it without everyone's support. You ladies totally rock.

I hope everyone has a great day.

~~Amy

plb112467
04-08-2003, 09:51 AM
This place is really jumping every time I check in!!

Di, I will ad my congrats to those of the other ladies, I am so happy for you!! You have come so far!!

And Amy don't worry about tooting your own horn!! You deserve it!!

:D

Yoyo Mom
04-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Di, WTG! :cp: I will visualize a doctor's appointment for myself in the future where the doctor doesn't recommend weight loss and is incredulous that I've been overweight! BTW, what did cause the black-out? Was it related to all your weight loss?

Amy, you rock! :cb: I love to hear about folks who stick it through a tough plateau and get good breakthrough results. It will help me to think about stories like yours when I hit my plateaus.

I'm taking our dog to the vet tomorrow for a followup Xray. About a month ago she ran into our van as my husband was driving up the driveway and got a slightly fractured pelvis. (Our driveway is extremely long, about 1/3 mile, so he was going at a fair clip and it was icy to boot.) Since then, no walks for her... and I am itching to get on the other end of her leash. So here's hoping she's all healed for both our sakes!

Have a good day everyone!

Later,
-Deborah

shimmers
04-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Congratulations, Amy ... lol...did you say, "gravy"?? The rest is cool water, popcorn, red apples, crystal light ...

Deborah, hope your pup is all better. I love my dog, love having him with when I go out walking and hiking and hate to think of going out without him.

Four days to my Virginia trip and very much looking forward to it. Spring Break, or as my students pointed out today, a break for teachers and a time for teachers to pile homework onto their students. At least I get MY break :D
Got a good walk with Kenji and had a good day.
Hope you all did too!
Shimmers

Angel26519
04-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Hi Everyone!

Well I had bad news yesterday... my fiance found out he is pre diabetes.... he has a very long family history on both sides... he needs to lose some weight - about 20-30#s which I know will come off of him if he thinks about it for a few minutes.... the doc says it isnt so much about how much he weighs it iis where it is - all in his stomach (apple shaped).... anyway the good news is that I convinced him to head to the gym with me in the morning instead of waiting until the evening which he ends up never going.... so he went this am with me.... YEAH!!!!! I am going to research this a little more.... I would like to prevent him from going all the way to diabetes and maybe have him around a little while longer since I am just now marrying him....

Everyone sounds like they are doing real good and I am proud of all of you.... you give me motivation and hope that i can do this!

Yoyo Mom
04-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Angel,

I'm sorry to hear about your fiance. It's never fun to worry about the health of someone you love. The good news is that they've caught it early and diet and exercise on his part might very well turn this thing around. In the mean time, you have good motivation to be a role model for him, and maybe a gym partner to boot!

My father is diabetic and on insulin. I'm glad you are planning on doing research. When you are checking into good eating habits for diabetics, make sure you look into the glycemic index and glycemic load of foods... otherwise some healthy-seeming foods might turn out to be bad for blood sugar. (I remember a diabetic acquaintance at work who ate a baked potato for lunch every day on the advice of her doctor... grrrrr! I protested, but I'm not a doctor.).

BTW, I'm incorporating some of those eating habits into my current plan, and I think that is part of the reason my cholesterol numbers were so good. My diet is NOT in any way low-carb, but it is low in processed carbs and I avoid potatoes and some other naturally starchy foods, even whole grain brown rice, which I used to eat in (over)abundance.

Good luck to you and your fiance,
-Deborah

Kempyd
04-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Angel one of my memebers is diabetic and he doesn't have to take insulin. He exercises and eat right. He is really healthy. I hope that will give you fiancee hope about his diagnosis.

All of this talk about dogs makes me miss mine. We are going to her last trial (thank god) Saturday. It is kind of like a graduation for her. She will finally be home for good. I think we have had her home about 5-6 months and we got her when she was 49 days old. Isn't that terrible?

I don't want to talk about the weight loss issue right now. Kind of touchy.

Apple Blossom
04-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Hey Kemp...what is going on with your dog? I'd like more details. Are you training her for something special? My dog just stole my daughters scrambled eggs off the table. I was out of the room because I was getting the dog food. And he knew it, the little sneak. Dog for sale...
;)
I knew if I stayed OP I'd get some results. I've banned the scale until tomorrow but a pair of jeans that were a little uncomfotable are now back to normal after just 2 days. I'm just counting calories, trying to stay btween 1200-1400. Isn't it amazing how quickly things add up???
Well, hopefully the scale will be kind tomorrow.

Kempyd
04-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Apple Echo has been going to duck training school. She is learning how to retrieve the ducks that hubby shoots. (when he hits one :lol: ) It made her very obedient too. She used to haul butt downt he street when someone would walk by and no she will just sit in he front yard and wag her tail. It is really nice not to have to run half way across the subdivision screaming, "she wont hurt you she just wants to lick you" Did I give everyone a funny visual or what.

grizzlyschick
04-09-2003, 07:51 PM
:D Thank all of you so much for all the encouraging words and congrats! I wish I could give each of you a big hug:grouphug: Having all of your support means so much to me. Kina and I have been in this since the start together, and I can't say how many times her encouragement and kind words to me have helped to inspire me to keep going- I'm very glad to have each of you in my life- you guys are great- you made my day:D . Thanks! Take care- Di

Angel26519
04-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement... I am hoping that we can nip this in the bud before we end up having to resort to insulin....

I did a pretty good workout today although food was not great this evening... which is my hard time.... oh well tomorrow is another new day....

shimmers
04-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Evening all ... no walk today, not much water either and while my eating wasn't overboard, it included ice cream and chips, so I can't say it was a Towanda day. It was productive in other ways, and I'm feeling pleasantly tired vs bummed -- And I did check in, which always feels good.

I used to be with ediets and in the challenges there, every day we reported whether we stayed with our food plan, drank 64 oz water, exercised and posted to the challenge, so please forgive me this repetive habit. It keeps me in touch with the four main parts of my fitness regimen.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the food pyramid? I've used it, but I'm beginning to get suspicious of the 6-11 or so grains they suggest.

Take care!
Shimmers

Yoyo Mom
04-10-2003, 08:08 AM
I am not a fan of the USDA food pyramid, either the original or the recently revamped edition. Dr. Walter Willett, researcher of a large dietary study and the chairman of the Dept of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, proposes an alternative pyramid, which I think is much closer to ideal. The basic idea includes avoiding refined carbohydrates and eating more good oils. (I go further and keep a tight limit on even my whole grain starches.) I think these changes in my diet have been the cause of my spectacular turn-around in my cholesterol numbers. He also proposes this diet for prevention of diabetes. Here's a couple of links...

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/living/special/sugar/21pyramid.html

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/21054/29837.html

I used to eat a very low fat diet that was high in starches, particularly brown rice. When I got my original (high) blood lipid numbers (years ago), my doctor recommended I reduce the fat in my diet. I told him that was virtually impossible and described what I ate. He didn't believe me. I brought my husband to my next doctor's appointment to verify my eating habits. I still don't think he believed me. My problem wasn't fat; it was all the starch (I think). But I am NOT low-carb now. Most of my calories are carbs from veggies and fruit with some amount of whole grains. I also make an effort to include as much NF dairy as possible in my diet; I've seen several recent studies supporting dairy but I don't have time to grab links now.

Anyway, that's what makes sense to me and seems to work for me.

Good luck!
-Deborah

choci
04-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Hi again everyone,

A belated thanks for all the kudos... I know everyone hates to "brag" about their achievements, but I say, why the heck not when you've done so much hard work? I love to hear about other people's success, so I don't feel too badly when I announce mine.

Anyway, thanks, thanks, thanks! You really help to keep me focused.

~~Amy

Actually, the day after my fabulous announcement, I ended up having a naughty day and overnight, I put on those 2.5 pounds I lost! Oh well... you can be sure I was OP yesterday, and though my scale was pretty wonky this morning, I'm pretty certain that I am back down to where I was. Phew! Daily weighing can make you crazy, but it sure does keep me on the straight and narrow when I need to be. :)

We still have two more days til weigh-in, so I'm planning on doing all things OP and see what I can achieve!

You guys are the absolute best!

Kempyd
04-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Shimmer I agree with Deb. I don't really follow it eaith. I record what I eat at fitday and I try to keep the carb, fat and protein at 40%, 30% and 30%. It seemed to work for me. I can say that everyone is different so you may have to play around with a few things.

Gennel
04-10-2003, 01:18 PM
I'm so proud of everyone in here. Just for being here . You dont realize what that means? Just showing up takes guts.
Di , I know it will take a long time before y ou are 100% sure that you are not "fat" anymore. You wont have a room of people stop what they are doing just to look at "the fat girl" as cruel as it seems its happened to me quite a few times with my hubby. You will just have people pass you by or simply think . That outfit looks really cute on her! Its so so strange sometimes. I cant say I relate to people with Bulemia or Anorexia. But one thing I can relate to is not seeing reality when I look at myself inthe mirror. It sort of healing itself. I look and many times I see a thin girl and then sometimes I see a person who could stand to lose another 5 lbs at least.The only truth I can see is in the mseasuring tape and clothes size.
I constantly catch myself looking at myself from a store window. As I pass by I see my reflection and sometimes stop in disbelief that its really me there! And thats a good thing.It sounds vain, sorry! But I think you all can relate fitting in that dream size and modeling around a bedroom with your doors locked dancing in front of a mirror? OR is that just me lol
well I better go!
ttyl,Gen

Apple Blossom
04-10-2003, 05:08 PM
I think if I followed the food pyramid I'd be eating way too much. I'm just counting calories and that seems to keep the fat low because I don't want to eat any big calorie items. It's also keeping my bread consumption low. Bread adds up quick too. Veggies veggies veggies.:yes:
I am a little confused about BMR. I've calculated twice, once on line where I just typed in my weight and physical activity level and one from a magazine where I did the math myself. Well, the totals were way off. One was about 1800 and one was 2200. A difference of 400 calories is huge!!! Thats like a whole meal if I'm staying in the 1200-1400 range. Know of any other calculators? Maybe I'll try a few more and average them.
I did get on the scale this morning and theer'e no change. I'm really disappointed:( , but rather than console myself with food I'm going to stick to it today!!! Maybe tomorrow the scale will come around.
:mad: :chicken: :rain: :moo: :m: (my daughter is playing with the smilies)

plb112467
04-10-2003, 05:35 PM
I am taking tomorrow off since my children have Spring Break and tomorrow is my DH's birthday so we will go birthday shopping for him.

Anyway I will not be back around here til Monday and just wanted to send:goodvibes to everyone before their weigh in on Saturday! I hope that we will all see a loss! :crossed:

I will check in on Monday morning and hope to loss after loss after loss!!!:D

angieME
04-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Have a great weekend Paula!!! I hope your DH has a great birthday!

Clarita
04-10-2003, 06:05 PM
I have my second pilates session tonight. I am still sore from the last one! I am trying to drink lots of fluids today as a glass of wine last night left me quite dehydated :(
Do many of you use fitday? Do you find it hard to update daily? It looks a little complex but it seems like it might give you an extra boost to see your goals every day and your progress...

Angel26519
04-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Apple-

You were asking for some bmr calucaltors.... one is on www.jimkaras.com - go to the bottom right hand corner of the screen and click on it....

also there is one on .... www.fitday.com

they do vary some - I always use the lower number to be on the safe side.

melekalikimaka
04-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Clarita I've used fitday though not religiously. I find it helpful to track my intake of not only calories but what the calories are comprised of (i.e. fats/carbs/protein etc). I especially like the feature which calculates how many calories were burned during exercises--it even has the totals for certain *ahem* indoor activities :devil: . The only drawback I've found is that the foods list is not as extensive as other sites, and being in HI we have a lot of ethnic foods, I have to keep looking up the nutritional info on other sites and then customizing the database to suit me. I tend to refer to calorieking.com more often as it has a more expansive database of foods, a lot of ethnic ones too. Just my 2 cents.

Paula :hb: birthday wishes to your hubby and have a great weekend!

Shimmers, Towanda day? Fried Green Tomatoes, no?

Everyone else, keep on truckin' to the weekend. :D

Gennel
04-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Angie girl, I gotta just tell you as also that your hardwork has paid off bigtime! You are already in your 150's! And well on your way to the 140's very soon. I know the feeling and its awesome!
Big congrat and ((hugs))) to you girl!

Everyone is doing good, just move that body. Find an excuse to burn a few extra calories tomorrow!If I dont go tothe gym I will wash my car or go outside and sweep the front.

Well it's getting sorta late and I'm yawning too much lol

nite folks,
Gen

shimmers
04-11-2003, 01:07 AM
What great posts today! It's so energizing to come here and see everyone ... and motivating too, when during the day I think about Not working out but then have to consider what I'll post at night.

Noelle, totally Fried Green Tomatoes! ... I try to keep in touch with my inner Towanda.

Kenji and I walked the beach over in Monterey today ... you know what? Some people have evil dogs and invariably those dogs are off-leash. Evaded a cujo down by the beach only to have one try lunging from a parked car (window wayyyyy rolled down) as we walked by on a roadside trail. Kenji's such a mellow old guy, he just eyes them cautiously, although he doesn't much like the directness of boxers or pit bulls and will bark and growl back at that. Still, mostly he wants to walk happily on his leash and smell all the stinky stuff.

I had a friend once who insisted on letting her dog off leash no matter what the rules or setting, insisting his dog just wanted to play. All I could think of was the number of people who paused on the trail until they could determine whether this dog was going to jump their kids -- gee what fun for them. Oh, and Thumper was having a great time too, running in terror from this 'friendly' dog. (Kempy -- I don't mean duck dogs! duck dogs chase with purpose.)

Sorry for the rant ... I just like walking my dog, but don't like being scared when I do it. :^:

On topic, though, walking in the sand was a nice thigh burner and felt very good. :p

Night everyone,
Shimmers

Apple Blossom
04-11-2003, 01:22 AM
I used to take my dog to an off leash dog park. It is a huge park with a river running through it. (Zack got his collar stuck on some reeds and in the current and nearly drowned. He's no duck dog...That was fun...)I NEVER saw a dog fight there (and it was frequently crowded) Dogs behave differently when they are on a leash as opposed to off. Of course, I'm no dummy, I'd never bring my rottie there, she'd try to kill any dog smaller than her and maybe the bigger ones too. She's a total alpha dog. I don't even like walking her on a leash just around the neighborhood because she's such a P.I.T.A. So when I do go for a dog walk, usually the other dog goes. Both of them have really suffered since I've had kids. Just another activity to add to my to-do-list once they are both in school 5 days a week.
I crept up to 1500 cals today. I'm really frustrated from my scale reading this morning but DH says just stay OP through the weekend and....

angieME
04-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Oh Walking dogs!! I have 3 and Rebel has been banned from town for grabbing a kids rollerblade when he was 9 months old. I volunteered to keep him out of town to stay out of trouble. He is a JRT.

Cappie we just adopted and he is a big baby BUT...when we are walking him if he sees another dog he starts barking and trying to back out of his collar so he can go over. Of course he sounds viscious but he isn't. He is a Keeshond. He actually was tested the other night. I went into my bathroom and heard someone knocking on the utility room door so I hollared out to Jay that there was someone here. The guy heard me yell to Jay and must have thought I hollared to come in so he just came in(I don't know him at all) Cappie heard that and went flying out into the utility room over the gate and right up to the guy. All he did was sniff him. I was so happy to see that because when we are walking you would think he is mean.

Candi is my other Keeshond and she is PERFECT!! Me and my daughter took her through town the other night and she was such an angel. I just wished all three would act like her. :lol: None of them are mean.

Gen, Thanks for the support. I seem to have slowed down to a pound a week but hey it is better than gaining. I actually got right back on track this week and lost all the bloat I had put on from my binge and will have a loss to show tomorrow. I actually got into my 10's now so I am pretty psyched about that. Just in time for the warm weather. YEAH!!!

Yoyo Mom
04-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Good morning!

Found out that my dog's hip fracture is not healed (calcified) yet and it will be another month before she could get a clean bill of health. In the meantime, no doggie walks for exercise :( . It's a big bummer for her, too. She loves her walks so much. I will have to find other ways to motivate myself to get outside and moving. Once the weather cooperates, there is a lot of yard work that could get done!

In the meantime, I've been doing very well on my food and I'm looking forward to the weigh-in tomorrow.

Later,
-Deborah

angieME
04-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Deborah,That must be hard trying to keep your dog calm. I hope she gets better this month. I think it would kill mine if we couldn't go for walks. I can't even spell the word without them jumping up and running around in excitement. Silly dogs. :lol:

We just got back from a walk and we ran into someone we know walking his dog so of course Cappie starts barking like a maniac. Jay asked if we could bring him over and all he did was sniff the other dog while the other dog growled at him and had his hair standing on end. Cappie is such a loud wimpy dog. haha. Although it is so nice to see that his only problem is with barking and not aggression. Whew!!!

Kempyd
04-11-2003, 01:21 PM
I really don't know whatit is like to walk a dog. :lol: Echo has been gone for so long I don't really remeber. When she was home for that week her foot was cut so we were trying to keep her calm. yeah right!

I am happy she will be back. Now that the days are longer when Joe is out of town I can take her with me and feel a little safer. I have nothing to worry about where I live but there is that serial killer in Baton Rouge. (45 mins away from me) :fr:

I am making myself move around at work today. I have lots of areas that have seemed to turn into junk rooms so I am trying to straighten them up. Burn baby burn!

jen519
04-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Wow! Is this thread busy or what? I don't know what to respond to. So many wonderful posts. Di, one of my favorite fantasies is hooking up with someone I haven't seen in a while and having them say, "Wow! You've lost a lot of weight! You look great!" and so on. You are such an inspiration. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen with the measly 7 pounds which is my net loss over the last year. Which brings me to Apple Blossom. I KNOW how you feel. We're still here though and haven't given up yet. Thanks for the kudos on that score Gennel.
I have a dog named Candy too. My daughter and I used to take walks every evening. She on her rollerblades with the dog on a leash and me walking. We haven't done that in a long time. I noticed the other day when my dd put on her rollerblades for the first time in a while, my poor dog got just as excited as if we'd pulled her leash out of the closet. I guess since summers coming and it's daylight when I get home, it would be a good time to start that up again. I have to change SOMETHING about my routine!

Jen519

jen519
04-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Oh...I forgot to ask. Clarita, do you go to that Pilates studio up on Fairview? I just noticed that one when I drove by on my way to work the other day. (Sometimes I just can't drag my butt out of bed early enough to catch the bus these days!) Are there any really heavy women there? I mean ones who have over 60 pounds to lose, since "heavy" is a relative term. I'm just curious.

Jen

melekalikimaka
04-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Jen 7 lbs lost is 7 lbs lost--that's 10x better than 7 lbs gained, don't you think? You'll find your groove and start losing again and yes, you always come back and post--that's something. You know I've wondered about Pilates too. I pass by the Y every day where they have a couple of classes but I think from what I've seen my stomach would get in the way :lol: . I guess we all have to start somewhere though.

Speaking of silly dogs, let me tell you about my sister's anti-social mutt-weiller who takes on an aggressive stance to ANY and ALL dogs while we're out walking. There's a fenced in house w/3 large mixed breed dogs and 2 little dogs who always bark furiously at us when we pass by. Her dog always goes crazy over there--he pulls and whines and then starts chomping and shaking his leash (which is leather so it can't hurt his teeth) straining to get to the fence. Well I tried walking him past this house one day since he behaves a little better w/me. He broke his halti-lead and his collar slipped off his neck. I'm standing there w/a leash and no dog, my sister is about 50 feet ahead of me. The dog rushes to the gate where the other dogs are and barks twice, then rushes away to my sister. What a wimp! Not that I wanted him to fight or anything, but for all the noise and effort he makes to get near them other dogs, is that all he does? That dog has no balls, literally :lol: (he's fixed) .

Kempy, serial killer still on the loose huh? Scary! We had 3 prison inmates escape about 6 days ago from the high security prison here, they finally were captured yesterday afternoon so that's a relief.

Sorry to write a novel, just started rambling...I'll stop here. :D

shimmers
04-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Hi everyone! I've sent my students off to spring break and now I'm home cleaning and packing ... tomorrow, that big jet airplane is taking me to Virginia.

I weighed in this morning since I might not be checking in during the week (probably I will, though, since Everywhere has computers). I've lost 3 pounds since beginning the challenge (I think that means 2.5 since the last weigh in, yay!) ... love when TOM goes away and my body becomes my own again. I'll try to keep on track while on holiday. Luckily, I've never heard of a Charolottesville cheese steak or Richmond hot wings. What food IS Virginia known for anyway?

Take care,
Shimmers

angieME
04-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Have Fun Shimmers!!!!! I hope you can check in this week. We will miss ya

grizzlyschick
04-12-2003, 08:09 AM
:) Hi everyone- Well I'm down 2 lbs- Thank God! I have a question yet again. Have many of you noticed how your appetite has changed as you've lost? Mine is nearly non existent now. For the last week, I've literally had to force myself to eat. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm even getting enough to eat to keep up with all the exercising I do. I do cardio 6 days a week, weight training 3 days a week, and toning tapes 6 nights a week. I've noticed that my losses seem to follow the days I ate more or had more protein, but if I'm not hungry how the heck can I eat more!:?: I'm noticing differences in the tape measure the last 6 weeks, and clothes are looser, but I'm beginning to wonder if the amount of muscle I have is what has my weight still up- or if muscle gain is what keeps the scale from going down sometimes. So I'm wondering what's better- having the muscles and being more toned, or having the scale read a lower number? Maybe it's just because I'm a daily weigher and I've made that darn thing into a little God- always praying for a smaller number. So tell me what you all think- is it more important to you to be toned and maybe weigh a higher number or have that scale read that blessed goal # we've been working for? I know I'm full of questions this morning! This has just been on my mind. According to one of the BMI calculators I am at the borderline for normal weight. According to the one on shape.com where you type in your measurements, plus weight I'm considered fit! It's just got me all confused:?: Oh well guess I'll go do some researching on here before hubby gets up. Take care all. Thanks again for all the positive reinforcement this week. I'm praying to see the 150's next week!:lol: Di

Yoyo Mom
04-12-2003, 09:06 AM
Grizzlyschick, I'm sure other posters, like Kempy, will be able to give you more information, but it sure sounds to me like you're fit! The BMI is a very rough guide intended primarily for those of us who are sedentary, light, or possibly moderately active. You seem very active to me. The BMI is known to be misleading for people who are very fit. You might consider getting your body fat professionally measured and then you would know for sure if you are still a little overweight or whether you already have a fab physique (I suspect the latter). Being fit is obviously better for you (both in health and looks) than reaching some arbitrary number on the scale. When I was thin (and somewhat active) my friend who weighed about 20 lbs more than me was the same height and she wore the same size as me. She was incredibly fit and the only thing I could do better than her was swim (she sank like a stone). Despite her extra weight, she looked (and was) fitter than me (and at the time I didn't look half-bad either!). At any rate, give yourself a huge, aerobic pat on the back for everything you've been able to accomplish so far.

Anyway, despite my current sedentary lifestyle, I have been able to lose weight through dieting. I am down 2 pounds this week, for a total of 4.5 pounds, which puts me over goal for this challenge! :cb:

Later,
-Deborah

laney1733
04-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Many congrats go out to Grizzlychick and Yoyo MOm!!!:high: :goodvibes :dancer: :dance: :hat: :cb: :bravo: Awsome job ladies!! I'm reporting in with a three pound loss, but only because I have strep throat and can hardly swallow!:cry: I'm praying this goes away soon, it is awful. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful weekend. I hope everyone gets out to enjoy it. Take care everyone!:D

laney1733
04-12-2003, 10:19 AM
I forgot to add that I definately think that it is better to be fit and a few pounds heavier. I will take the added muscle anytime! And, if you're fit, you can eat MORE and still maitain that clothing size than a whimpy skinny person. Rock on!:flow1:

angieME
04-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Weigh Day!!! I am down 1 1/2 pounds this week! That brings me down to 151. Maybe next week I will see the 140's!!!WOOHOO!!!!!

Congrats Di,Deborah and Serina on your losses!!! Way to go girls!!

Di, My appetite hasn't gone down at all! If I am bored I can eat non stop but if I am busy then it is better. When I hit 130 last time my appetite was huge. I have no idea why.

I hope everyone has a great weigh in!!!

jen519
04-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Thankfully, it looks like I've lost 2 of the 3 pounds I gained last week, so I'm only up 1 pound from the beginning of the challenge. DD and I are heading to Disneyland on Monday. I haven't been since I was 17 and she's never been there. I don't remember spending a lot of time eating when I went before, so it may be a great opportunity to lose weight with all the walking around and stuff.
Di, I'd like to think that my body fitness would be more important than the numbers on the scale, but it's hard to say at this point. I do remember when I was in my late twenties and lost 85 pounds, I was down to 128 and still EXTREMELY unhappy with the way my abs and tricep areas looked. I'm glad the scale was a bit more cooperative for you this week in any case.
Laney, I'm so sorry to hear about your strep throat. I've had it more than once and it's the sickest I've ever been. Glad you felt up to posting. Take your antibiotics and you'll feel better soon.

Jen

melekalikimaka
04-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Good morning chickies! Congrats all you early birds (well, early to me) for checking in w/your awesome losses :cp: . You guys rock!

I'm checking in this morning with a 1 lb loss, bringing me to 173. That's 5 out of 6 lbs lost for this challenge. :dance:

Di I'd definitely rather be toned, look good and have a higher number on the scale than to reach a "goal" # and be flabby all over the place (which is where i'm headed if I don't start some weight training :lol: ) . :strong: You go girl, muscle weighs more than fat so if that # is higher than you'd like it to be, just remember that. Body fat testing would definitely put your mind to rest I think. My appetite goes in cycles. Sometimes I get full from a normal skinny person's amount of food, other times I could eat 3x that much. I'm having to teach my body that satiated doesn't mean stuffed to the gills. Depends on what time of the month it is too though, for me.

Good luck everyone and have an OP weekend...all I can do is try.

Apple Blossom
04-12-2003, 05:27 PM
Hey Jen,
Bring your own food to Disneyland if you can, it will save you lots of $ and provide smarter choices. You can find healthy food there, but if it's crowded you might not feel like waiting on line or for a table.
I am so incredibly frustrated today. The scale has not budged and its been 5 days of really hard work. I think that's a record for me, but the last time I stuck to it for 4 days at least I saw some results. The positive side is that since it HAS been such hard work, I'm going to stick to it. A little splurge right now would make me feel so terrible.
Anyway, I'm going to wait for weigh -in tomorrow, maybe the scale will come around.

Palm Bay, Granny
04-12-2003, 11:42 PM
I think this Go DIET is working for me. I am down another 3 lbs this week. Took me a long time to get moving. Have you Girls heard about Dr Atkins? What a terrible thing.:(

:spin: Good luck to everyone on the scales.

Venetia

melekalikimaka
04-12-2003, 11:55 PM
Hey Venetia. Good job on the 3 lbs :cp: . I read about Dr. Atkins a few days ago and just found out that he's still in a coma today. Chances of a meaningful recovery are slim...very sad.

Apple Blossom, I betcha if you stay on track today tomorrow the scale will show you a sizable loss. I find that if I fill up on extra water for a couple of days that helps the pounds go down too. Keep it up!

I just got back from my walk and am feeling energized. :dancer:

Hope everyone's weekend is going well.

Palm Bay, Granny
04-13-2003, 01:56 AM
Hello Noelle,

How lucky you are to live in Hawaii. My husband took me there in 1999 after we got married. I fell in love. The flowers are so beautiful. I remember a tree called Angel Trumpet. So gorgous.

Someday I hope to go back. The Stock Market really hurt us but lucky for us my husband is Retired from the Military so we can go on a Military plane. It is such a long trip bur definitely worth it.

We stayed in the Military Hotel and it was really nice. Do you know where I mean, the name slips my mind right now, maybe the Hallie Koa. We had such a good time. Od, Lucy You. Were you born there? I could ramble on but gotta get some sleep. Bye Bye...

Venetia:)

Gennel
04-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Here we go!

Palm Ba, Granny..Goal 6 lbs..loss 6.5 lbs

plb112467 Goal 8 lbs..Loss 3 lbs

Clarita..Goal 4 lbs

mbg..Goal 9 lbs

AngieMe..Goal 6 lbs..Loss 2.5 lbs

melekalikimaka ..Goal 6 lbs ..Loss 5 lbs

grizzlyschick ..Goal 7 lbs loss 2lbs

Angel26519 ..Goal 8lbs

Yoyomom ..Goal 4 lbs..Loss 4.5 lbs

Jen519..Goal 6 lbs

Shimmers ..Goal 6 lbs

melekalikimaka
04-13-2003, 04:00 PM
WooHooo look at those numbers!! Come on everybody, just a couple more weeks. Let's see how many pounds we can lose together this month :cb: . Has anyone ever tallied the cumulative losses of a challenge? I think that would be neat.

Venetia glad you liked your visit to Hawaii--you gotta love the value of Space A if you've got the time. I love living here and it's the only home I've known. I was actually born in Little Rock, AR when my dad was in the Navy. He retired a year and a half after I was born and we moved here since this is where my mom's family is from. You were right about the Hotel, it's called the Hale Koa (Hale = home/house; Koa = warrior/courageous/brave, military etc.) We can use the facility too, their banquet halls and ballrooms are quite nice and 2 of my sister's have had their wedding receptions held there. The Angel's trumpet is a beautiful flowering tree, very poisonous though. If anyone visits the island of O'ahu, give me a holler. I'll also be vacationing in Maui during the 4th of July...ya'll should try it sometime. :D

choci
04-14-2003, 08:22 AM
Hi everyone! I'm late reporting my numbers... I was actually very busy this weekend and didn't spend time on the computer, except doing some research about moving possibly to Columbus, OH -- it's been taking up all my thoughts! Anyone ever live there and have advice?

Or does anyone have advice about relocating?

Anyway... I' submitting my Saturday weigh-in weight, which stayed at 254.5, 3 pounds down from last week and 5.5 total for the challenge! Woohoo!

Unfortunately, I had an all-out binge practically all weekend. I don't know why I do these things. I still have these compulsions to just eat and eat and eat every once in a while. It is such sabotage, I know. So I am going to avoid the scale for a few days and get back on track and hope for the best. And next weekend? NO BINGES! Grrr.

Looks like everyone had a good week, congrats to all!

plb112467
04-14-2003, 10:01 AM
As usual I am here to check in on Monday, but with GOOD news!! Even with TOM here I am down by 1 pound!!!!!!!!!!!:jig:

I am miserable (cramping)!! But happy to see a loss with Tom here! That puts me at a 3 lb total so far this challenge, I am at 202 so maybe if I am a good girl and get back in to the exercise groove this week maybe just maybe I can be at or even below 200 next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am ready, now if I can get rid of these cramps so I will feel like exercising!

Congrats to everyone here for making an effort, it's an accomplishment to make an effort, whether you are acheiving success right now or on hold.

Kina
04-15-2003, 02:22 AM
Wow! Lots of Losses and maintains but most importantly so much support and let us not forget focus! I am so proud of all of you! A BIG BRAVO to you ALL!

I may not be on the wagon but I am very motivated with your stories and positive posts. I plan to be there with you all in May! That is when the semester will be over and I can focus and commit to my regular exercise schedule. I can't wait!

Today marked my 30th birthday and it's not so bad. I got up and I didn't feel a day over 25. I didn't see a new gray hair, not a new wrinkle, and I realized 30 was just another number when I saw the couple of pimples on my forehead! I don't have a problem with my age because I certainly don't act my age...of course I have maturity but I giggle and joke like any other youngin'. At this time every year, I do wonder when age will become more than just a number...will I handle 60 just as well...I think by then I will be so occupied with grandkids that I won't even notice. Today was a wonderful day filled with balloons, cake, presents, hugs, smiles, friends, and last but certainly not least family.

Well it is getting late. I have classes in the morning...my kids don't want me to go they want to be off for my birthday but they know better than that. Anyway...I will talk to you all again!

Hugs & Smiles, Kina

melekalikimaka
04-15-2003, 04:56 AM
:hb: happy belated b-day wishes Kina :balloons: :gift: :dance: :grouphug: :hat:

I've got plenty of gray hair for the both of us, don't you be in a rush to get yourself any :lol:

Glad your day was happy!

laney1733
04-15-2003, 10:01 AM
Happy birthday KIna!! I'm glad to hear that you had such a good time! My 30th is coming up next Feb. In fact it's one of the reasons I started this "healthy lifestyle change" I'm not sure how I feel about being 30. Married 11 years with three kids doesn't make me feel old, but the number 30 might! How silly!!! Well, the baby's up and demanding attention. Have a great day everyone!

Yoyo Mom
04-15-2003, 10:34 AM
Hey, Kina, a big Happy Birthday to you! :hb: The thirties are awesome! Much better than the twenties or especially the teens, at least for me. So, jump on in, Serina. I can't say "join us" because I'm already in the forties but that decade is awesome so far also!

It's great that you *youngsters* are getting your weight under control now. It's better for your long term health and it does get harder to lose as you get older (but it's never too late ;) ).

Today is a beautiful day... I would love to go for a walk but today of all days I'm kind of backlogged with work. Arrg! I'll try to squeeze one in because there's no form of exercise I like better than a walk on a beatiful Spring day. Well, speaking of work,

TTFN,
-Deborah

Palm Bay, Granny
04-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Kina...

From experience:lol:,I can tell you that if you keep your laughter for 30 more years there will be a lot less gray hairs.LOL I was 60 in January and personally I still feel like 20. In my mind at least. I refuse to get old and gray haired.

I love life and want to keep my laughter forever. I am a jokester and love to laugh at myself and everyone who can throw a joke my way. Keep smiling. You have the secret. Those babies will keep you young for a long time.

Venetia:gift: :hat: :bravo: :hb:

Apple Blossom
04-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Happy birthday Kina!:hb:
I was a little sentimental about turning 30, but now that I'm close to 40 my age doesn't seem to matter. Who's counting?!!!
I haven't checked in because I was having some computer probs. I did manage to drop 2 pounds last week.:D
If all that work and frustration pays off with a 2 lb drop at the end of the week I will be very pleased. Actually I'm only trying to lose 1 lb a week. So I'm ahead of schedule. BUT....while yesterday was OK, it was not where I want to be eating- wise and today I have already cheated by indulging in a blueberry muffin and a latte. A friend and neighboor just opened a resturant so I had to stop by....:snail: :balloons: So I'll be careful for the rest of the day. Oh, and TOM is here too. As usual, just as I get OP it comes along to make it all the more difficult. :dizzy:
(daughter at the smilies again)

laney1733
04-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Wow, two posts in one day! It's like a personal record. Dh and I went for a walk at a new trail we discovered, it's paved which is nice for the stroller. But there is no shade to be found. And I am NOT a sun person. Anyway, we walked 6.5 miles. Then we went and bought tennis rackets, so we're going to do that tonight. I think I could get into tennis. Now, I'm off to go mow the lawn for the first time this year. How exciting! It is 80 out today! And 73 tomorrow. I'm going to take advantage of every second of it. Oh, and Saturday I bought a Pink Dogwood tree and a new lilac. I collect lilac bushes. I'm trying to buy a lot of differant species of lilacs so I'll have one in bloom for a long time. Now I have to figure out where to plant them!!! Have a great one, TTFN,

Zookeeper2123
04-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Happy Birthday- I too am looking at the big 50 and remember my 30's as the most fun marriage babies new house all those joys, but I also gained every year, don't let that happen- now I am weight challenged.

Enjoy your birthday whenever it is :hb:

I agree about laughter----smiling and enjoying your day sure do make the years pass better.

My favorite----

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."

:flow2:

Clarita
04-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Happy Birthday :D!

You all are doing so great. Pilates is going well for me although it is causing some very sore muscles! I have been maintaining for the past month so I think I need to get my butt in gear and lose these last 9lbs!
I have a new delicious snack. Genisoy Crisps BBQ Flavor. They are really yummy and satisy my craving for chips. They are like a cross between a chip and a rice cake....:D

grizzlyschick
04-15-2003, 08:25 PM
:balloons: HAPPY BIRTHDAY KINA:jig:. I'm glad you had a wonderful birthday!
I've had a good week so far both food and exercise wise, I'm hoping the scale continues to cooperate with me until Saturday's weigh in. It sounds like everyone's doing great! Spring seems to finally be here and I'm loving it! Well gotta run. Take care all. Di

angieME
04-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Happy Birthday Kina!!! I am glad you had a great day!!! I will be 31 in July.

Today was so awesome outside. Me and Jay walked 6 1/2 miles and we brought the patio furniture out onto the deck even though it is going to get cold again. It was so nice to eat supper outside in the fresh air.

I have been wanting to munch at night lately but hopefully I am not doing any damage and can show a loss this week. I am in between sizes. 12's are too big and most of my 10's are a little more snug than I would like.

plb112467
04-16-2003, 02:48 PM
Glad your day was nice Kina, hope the same for the year!!

As for me I am still hanging in food wise, but pretty much NO exercise lately!! YUCK! I am having a good day so far today so maybe tonight I will get to walk, but the past couple of days I have had an awful TOM! Really gross and NOT feeling good! Anyway maybe I am back on the mend now and get my behind in gear!

Y'all take care!

shimmers
04-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Hi Everyone!

Happy Birthday, Kina! I agree -- the 30's are great! I'm so much more comfortable in my own skin at 34 than I was at 28, 23, 19 or ever before. Hope you had a great day.

Virginia is Gorgeous, and so very vastly different from my California coast. Having a great time and walking my legs off, so I have high hopes for the scale next week.

Gen, I think I buried my losses-post in a long message last time, so I wanted to post that I've lost 3 pounds since beginning the challenge. :cool:

See you in a few days!
Shimmers

Kina
04-17-2003, 12:56 AM
Thank you all! I am so far feeling much better about life. I guess it's that age when you feel you have gone so far and have so much more to discover. I just wish I could have come further with my weight. Well I am going to start working on it very soon.

I have much to do with my homework project I must go.

Hugs & Smiles to you all, Kina

Yoyo Mom
04-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Good morning!

Unless I very confused, this Saturday's weigh-in is the last of the challenge. If so, then I just met my calorie goal (logged -14,000)!My actual weight loss has been running ahead of that, but I log conservatively. I don't think I'll blow it between now and Saturday.

Sunday is another story, though. I *still* get my own Easter basket full of really good treats! And with Lent over, they won't be off-limits! I'm trying to plan a strategy for success. Maybe pre-portion out small pieces (one a day). I guess that will work if I can stick to it. Well, I'll need another challenge to keep me OP! This one will be harder, though.

At least the weather is improving, so maybe I can do more on the exercise side of the equation. We had a preview of summer the last couple of days and that was good motivation!

Later,
-Deborah

plb112467
04-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Normally I have a late check in, due to not being able to post on the weekends! But this week I decided to do a switch and check in a day early!

I was glad I decided to jump on the scales this morning!! Because I was dead on 200!!!:cb:

That is down two lbs from last week!! YES! That puts me at a total loss of 30 lbs, with a 5 lb loss for this challenge!! So I only need to lose three by next Sunday (27th) to meet my 8 lb goal for this challenge!! I might not make it to 3 lbs but I will be happy to be below 200!!! My most important goal right now is to get below 200 and then to NEVER let myself get out of the 1's again!!
By the way I will weigh again tomorrow and report if there is a difference on Monday!

Well enough about me, how is everyone else doing? :crossed: Keeping um crossed that there will be LOTS of pounds lost this week!

See y'all Monday!

Kina
04-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Paula~~~I bet you are soaring on :cloud9: ! I know exactly how you feel I was once there. I got myself down to 195 and then I got lax and stressed out with school. I am so happy for you!:cb: :cb: Just keep focused and always positive it is going to happen! Remember! You are always in control! I am so happy for you...gosh I can't express that enough!:bravo: :high: Keep on going girl!

Hugs & Smiles, Kina

plb112467
04-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Thanks I am really happy to be so close to the 100's even if it is the 190's!!

I forgot earlier, hope everyone has a :grouphug: Happy Easter

Yoyo Mom
04-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Oh, oh! If the challenge runs through *next* Saturday, I may be in trouble. I had calculated that I met this challenge by totalling the calories since 3 Saturdays ago. But if it started two Saturdays ago, then *this* challenge includes Easter. Yikes!!! Oh, well, at least I won't have to face that right at the beginning of a new challenge.

Have a good weekend everyone, and a Happy Easter to those who celebrate it (including me)!

-Deborah

laney1733
04-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Good morning ladies! I'm about to jump on the treadmill but I thought I'd get on here for a minute first. I'm reporting in with a maintain for this week.. But that's ok. I still met my goal fo this challenge, 6 pounds. I started at 165 and I'm now 159. I can live with that. But, I am going to work harder next week! Just think, this next challenge will be the last before summer hits! It's going to be in the 70's here in oHIO TODAY! i AM GOING TO GET OUT OF THIS HOUSE AND ENJOY! I hate the caps lock button, sorry. I hope everyone has a very enjoyable holiday weekend. I am looking forward to spending it with the family. And dh's birthday is MOnday. I can hardly handle all of the excitement!!:dizzy: Have a great one, TTFN,

choci
04-19-2003, 10:23 AM
Checking in, checking in. Oh, and we have until the 27th for this challenge... I peeked on the first page. I'm somewhat relieved by this despite Easter, since somehow I gained back what I lost last week! I still am not sure how it started. *cry* So, I weighed in a 257.5 this morning, I am holding at a 2.5 total loss for the challenge. I *will* get back to 255 by the end of this one, I will! And I'll stay there!

I don't know, for the first time I think ever, I am not feeling bad about this. Maybe because even though it is by the tiniest bit, I am still ahead, I am still under 260, and I am still focused on doing this (though maybe not this weekend, we'll see... can you say sabotage, anyone?) ;)

It feels nice to not beat myself up. Man, I set a goal of 5 pounds for this challenge, and I can still do it. And that will be fine. I am still in the game.

I hope you are, too!

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

~~Amy

Palm Bay, Granny
04-19-2003, 10:56 AM
:strong:

It is just a maintain for me this week. Don't know why.. :shrug: Can't be Tom cause he hasn't been around since 1973.. Good luck to the rest of you..

Venetia :(

angieME
04-19-2003, 11:39 AM
I am checking in with a 1/2 pound gain!! It was 3 pounds on Monday HUH? and it went down to 1/2 pound this morning. I am pretty pissed because up until last night I have not messed up at all. I am so far at a total loss of 1 pound this month. Yipee! Bust my *** and that is all I get! I wouldn't be so upset if I wasn't in between sizes. My 10's are too tight and my 12's are too loose. Monday I plan to regroup and get back to the grind but this weekend I am going to enjoy Easter with my kids.

Good Luck to everyone else.

melekalikimaka
04-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Do little dance :jig: make a little love :love: get down tonight :cb:

I'm checking in with a 2 lb loss this morning, I am now down to 171, this despite an overindulgence of reeses peanut butter eggs on Thursday :ink: . That means I've exceeded my goal of 6#s this challenge (see, set your sights a little lower and do better rather than set them high and fail ?!?!--yeah, whatever works for me :lol: ) My metabolism is great right now and I'm riding this wave as long as I can. Walking for exercise 3.5 mi. daily and oh yeah, stress is a great way to burn calories too. I like this groove I'm in.

Congrats to all the losers, maintainers and even gainers since we're all in this together and that's what counts. 1 week to go, let's make it a good one. Happy Easter all.

grizzlyschick
04-19-2003, 02:45 PM
:D Hi all- I know I usually check in early, but can't seem to get my butt in gear:lol: I am finally- yes finally in the 150's! I had a 4lb loss this week which puts me at 158:D I'm hoping to make the challenge goal for this time which was for 7 lbs this 4 puts me at 6 off so maybe there's hope for me. I'm just so glad to be in the 150's that even if I don't make it I'll still be on :cloud9:
Congrats to all the losers and stay strong to all the maintainers. Angie don't worry- I go through those slight gains every once in a while and it's usually water or muscle gain and eventually in a few days it goes back down. You're so close to goal that's probably why it's getting tougher for you. My last plateau I felt like bawling because nothing I did worked and I worked a lot harder than I usually do. You've done so well, I know it'll start moving again:)
Well hope everyone has a great holiday. Hubby's rushing me out the door again! Take care all- Di
Only 18 to go to goal! WOO HOO!!!

jen519
04-20-2003, 12:49 AM
Lots of catching up to do. Just thought I'd pop in and catch everyone up on my life. Grandma passed away last Sunday, but everyone thought it would be best if my daughter and I went ahead to Disneyland since we had been planning it for several months. We had a great time (in spite of the pouring rain last Monday, leave Seattle for Southern CA and get soaked!). Grandma loved "It's a Small World" so we waited in line to do that one time. We told each other we were bringing her with us. A couple of sad moments here and there, but mostly fun times.
Had to get up around 5:30 this morning to be ready to catch the shuttle to the airport at 6:15. Had a stopover in Portland, so we didn't get in until 12:45. Grandma's funeral was at 3:00. We just got home from that and the graveside service and the family dinner after. It's nearly 9:00 and I'm ready to drop. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning. I don't expect to see much change either way.

Jen

Kina
04-20-2003, 02:50 AM
Jen...big HUGS to you and your family. I am so sorry but what a wonderful way to celebrate her life. Chin up honey...it's times like this that we look to memories to fill the gap and mend the pain.

Take care...

Hugs & Smiles, Kina

Gennel
04-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Everyone here is sick and now "it's mommy's turn " Horrible sore throat! I feel like I have broken glass in my throat! Plus TOM is here as well,drippy nose... My oldest daughter is finally pretty much over it ,my 6 yr old only felt mildly sick for less than 2 days! She never gets it that bad lol.

Jen((hugs))) and prayers to you and your family
Angie , I know what you mean about being in between sizes it really sucks I agree with you 100%!! But it will pass,you're very close to goal !
Mele...I know you must be on cloud 9 with Di! Congrats to both of you!

Update on my house! Well the worst and longest part of building is actually over! The lot prep took forever cause waiting for a freakin permit! The lot was cleared,land was filled,frame was put up ,all plumbing is done, the entire concrete slab was poured,the blocks are there and so are the roof trusses! so By this saturday the 26th I will actually have all the walls and roof trusses up. I cant believe it takes them two days to lay alll the blocks! The roof trusses takes no more than 3 hrs to do. I saw them working on another home and I was shocked how fast they did this! Builder didnt give me a specific day but is sure Iwill move in by first week or by the 15th of July definately! I feel like I'm expecting my first born lol. I have tons of boxes already in my office with all the stuff Ive purchased and made for the new house. I gotta take all this stuff over to my brother's house tomorrow! That will ease some of the moving headaches since we will be living 2 miles from each other.
Well here is the weigh in chart !

plb112467 Goal 8 lbs..Loss 5 lbs

Clarita..Goal 4 lbs

mbg..Goal 9 lbs

AngieMe..Goal 6 lbs..Loss 3 lbs

melekalikimaka ..Goal 6 lbs ..Loss 7 lbs

grizzlyschick ..Goal 7 lbs loss 6 lbs

Angel26519 ..Goal 8lbs

Jen519..Goal 6 lbs

Shimmers ..Goal 6 lbs

Yoyo Mom
04-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Just time for a quick checkin (late). Had an off-program weekend and I'm up a pound today (which puts me at only 3.5 pounds lost for the challenge). If I can get back OP today, I don't think it will be a real problem. But it's tough with all the chocolate in the house and without a prohibition on it! Later -Deborah

melekalikimaka
04-21-2003, 04:26 PM
(((((Jen))))) Sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. That was a nice way to celebrate her life though and I'm sure she was with you as you enjoyed It's a Small World.

Gennel I can feel your excitement for your new house. I can imagine that it would be like expecting a child :lol: . I came down with some horrible nasty flu bug on Easter Sunday and it had me down and out for most of yesterday. I'm well medicated today though and coping.

Wow Di, that's an awesome loss! 150's...I'll get there too one day. You've come so far.

Hang in there everyone we can do this!

shimmers
04-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm back home and soooo glad to be in my own bed, even though the week in VA was lovely. Can I post my week's (hopeful) losses tomorrow? Weighing in the buff in the a.m. is the Only way to face a scale.

While I walked in my first few days there, I admit to slacking off from Thursday to Sunday, which I don't think will speak well for me when it comes time to weigh in. Ah well, tomorrow is another day frought with healthy opportunities.:)

Have you read the new research on ephedrine (the stuff in Hydroxycut and products like it) showing how when combined with caffeine it taxes the heart? I've never used it, but I was recently surprised to find many of my students (18-20 years old generally) do. The effects are not surprising, but still an unpleasant reminder of the risks of diet aids.

Take care,
Shimmers

laney1733
04-21-2003, 10:31 PM
Hello all. What a weekend! I feel like a bloated cow! It's funny cuz I probably got 30 compliments on my weight loss, yet I spent the whole time eating! Everyone is probably wondering how I'm losing weight eating like that!! The kids had a blast, which was nice. I ran two whole miles Easter morning. I didn't think I'd ever be able to do that! And I am fitting into size 12 jeans, which I haven't worn since I WAS 12! All in all, I've had a great weekend, but it's time to get my butt in gear again. I want to see that scale moving again.
I'm sorry for your loss Jenn. I've not lost a Grandmother yet and I can't imagine. Take care of yourself.
I'm so glad to hear about your house Gennel! THat's wonderful!!:D
And congrats to Angie on your size 10's!! It's a wonderful feeling!! I'm off to put my little one to bed now. Have a great one all, TTFN,

plb112467
04-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Just dropping in to say "Hello!". Hope everyone is doing well!! :)

Jen, Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother! I am glad you and your DD went ahead with your trip; I am sure your grandmother would have wanted it that way!

I am still doing good with my eating; but having trouble with the exercise!!! Really the only time I have to exercise is in the mornings before work and for about two weeks I have not been getting up on time!!!:o

I am determined to get up tomorrow!! I want to lose and I know it will go faster IF I get my butt in gear!!

Clarita
04-22-2003, 02:52 PM
Jen, I am sorry to hear about your grandmother :(

Sounds like everyone else is doing well. I have been plateauing for way over a month. Something needs to change. Pilates is kicking my butt but I have been slacking on the cardio and letting a bit too much chocolate slide in. I am determined to finish what I have started!

angieME
04-22-2003, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone!! Jen, I am sorry to hear about your grandma too. I am glad you guys had fun at Disneyland though.

I am feeling better this week. I have been walking so much. This afternoon it started to rain so I guess I am stuck on the elliptical for my afternoon workout. But at least I got in 3 miles of walking this morning.

Gen, I am at about 1 1/2 pounds total for this month but hey maybe I can luck out and hit 3 by this Saturday. :lol: I have gone back to being strict about what I am eating. It sucks but it works in the end. I want to hit 140 because I am pretty comfy there.

shimmers
04-23-2003, 12:59 AM
Checking in with a 2 lb gain, argh. ... but I don't reckon I can ask 'why me' when I had chocolate easter eggs and didn't work out for four days and such. The answer is that simple and that hard -- get the heart rate up every day, drink water, eat right. I did take Kenji out for an hour on the coast today. It was beautiful out following a stormy morning.

Tomorrow -- the gym.
Shimmers

jen519
04-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Good morning.
Thanks for all the kind words. It's also great to hear people's determination in spite of missed goals, off-days, etc. I actually had a good day yesterday with food, water, and excersize. Mark that down on the calendar! It doesn't happen very darned often these days. I'm seeing if I can make it 2 in a row. Do we have until Saturday for weigh-in, or is the last day of this challenge midweek?
Jen

plb112467
04-23-2003, 02:11 PM
How is everybody doing??

Jen the official last day of the challenge is Sunday the 27th! So I guess Saturday or Sunday will work.

Well not much going on here, same old same old! Still doing good eating but not exercising! I think I am going to have to move my alarm clock across the room so that I HAVE to get up when it goes off!!!!!!;)

shimmers
04-24-2003, 02:05 AM
ohhhh for the April showers to end! I need an extended patch of pure sun for these post-holiday, mid-semester, can't-take-one-more-thing-on-my-plate blues ... *whimper* ... lol, okay, I overstate myself, which probably means what I need most is a good night's sleep.

See you tomorrow ... I'd put sleepy-smiley here, but I don't see one. Imagine smiley with a night-cap and a teddybear. That'd be me.

Oo! For wake up troubles, have you tried putting a gentle lamp on a timer and having it go off 5 or 10 minutes before your alarm? I like waking to light -- helps me a lot.

Night.

Yoyo Mom
04-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Hey folks,

I've been busy and AWOL diet-wise. I started slipping up last Friday (the temptations of an all-you-can-eat buffet), and it took until yesterday to get back OP. I had to slay several diet dragons (the jar of nutella is in the freezer, some candy went to work, the rest is at least out of sight). I want to stay OP for the rest of the challenge or I may snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

The real problem is that I still have a boolean switch in my mind: diet/no diet. And I can flip from diet->no diet in the blink of an eye. Even though when I am dieting I try to think that it will be a WOE change, it doesn't seem to stick. Oh, well. At least I have gotten back on the horse and Eater (oops, meant "Easter" there; must be a Freudian slip) has been dealt with. We'll see about the net damage on the official weigh-in.

Later,
-Deborah

Angie... since I'm editing this post I saw your response. The buffet was Chinese. I have the same weakness!

angieME
04-24-2003, 11:17 AM
I am the same way. On the days I know I am going to have Chinese food(MY FAVORITE) I intend to be good but once I eat my first bite I am a goner. I hope to conquer that some day. The important part is that we always get back on eventually and keep going forward.

I am hoping to get back to 151 by Saturday. I honestly don't know how much damage I did because I have refused to step on the scale. I don't want to know how bad I did. I know it was bad and I don't want to freak myself out and give myself another excuse to overeat.

How is everyone else doing this week?

Gennel
04-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Well I read buffet and I just remembered something! This past weekend I was up by where our house is being built .It was around 3PM and we were STARVING! There were no good food choices nearby and I ended up walking into a " No Win Situation"
We went to a Pizza Buffet restaurant! Can you imagine? lol
They had all types of Pizzas under heating lamps and youserved yourself any slice you wanted, also in another buffet there was baked ziti,garlic breads,cheese sticks,desserts and ummm a salad bar ...with all the yummy fattening dressings!I cant eat plain salad with no dressing! I did pretty bad that day! lol The slices are like half a slice actually , so I that made it possible in my mind to justify eating 3 slices! and 1 cheesestick. I can tell you one thing my stomach knew the difference right away cause within 30 minutes I was in a bathroom. I went like I took some sort of strong laxative! yuck. With all that I still was happy that I had my pizza believe it or not! lol ... I'm up and down with my eating but I dont maintain steady fatty food eating. If I pig out for lunch I'll eat something sensible for dinner.
Well today I spoke with my brother who already moved into his house over a month ago. The last time I went they just had the concrete slab and they had the blocks and roof trusses delivered . Today I spoke with my brother and he tells me that all the blocks are up so all my walls are up! Woo Hoo ! isll I can say lol Stores are pretty far from the house so that had me a bit sad just thinking of it. But today mroe good news. My brother tells me
that around two miles away from my house there is a huge lot that was just cleared and there is a sign just posted that says " Walmart Super Center " Coming soon!" I practically live in the Walmart near me now! So being able to do groceries and shop at thestore also will be great!
ok gotta go now!
ttyl,GEn

melekalikimaka
04-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Oohh, Wally World. We're supposed to be getting a Super Center here in Hawaii too but there's been so much controversy about where it's being built that it's been stalled--I don't know if it's a go or no go anymore. We are supposed to be getting a Best Buy right across from the current Sam's Club. It's exciting--Hawaii is finally getting some more "mainland" stores. All I want now is a Target, oh yeah, and an Ikea. Don't ask me why, I think I love those stores since we don't have them here :lol:.

Gennel I'm so excited for you and your new house! :goodvibes: Real estate prices are so outrageous here that I still don't own...I'm biding my time though and when it's right I'm sure it'll happen.

Anyways girls, have a good rest of the week and I'll check back w/ya on Saturday.

angieME
04-24-2003, 05:13 PM
We have a Walmart Supercenter about 30 minutes from here and I love it. We go every Saturday and do our household and grocery shopping.

I am watching Oprah right now. It is about huge weightlosses. I love those kinds of shows. Helps keep me motivated. I did have a good day today. I bought a shirt 2 years ago as incentive to lose some weight and I never wore it....Until TODAY!!! YEAH!!! Small successes.

Gennel
04-25-2003, 08:56 AM
Noelle,
My brother used to live in Hawaii with his wife. He had a 1 bedroom apt. and was paying around $750! And that was like 11 yrs ago! A house that would sell here for $70,000 would sell for $275,000 over there. That is why he wasnt a home owner over there until he moved here to Florida. His inlaw's home is a wood house with jalousy windows, is that how you spell it? lol Anyway thehouse is appraised over $300,000!!! The house I'm getting built would go for at least one million over there. Location,location ,location! Hawaii is beautiful . I'm still hoping to go to Hawaii on a second honeymoon one day!

ttyl,
Gen

shimmers
04-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Angie, congratulations! what a great feeling. I have a picture of me, my 'midway' picture, in my old jeans holding them wayyy out, like those commercials. I have a few blouses I'm still working on working my way down into.

Been walking, despite tweaky back that has me worried. I may have to change some of my evil computer ways :o ... no more hanging out and surfing for a while I think, although I'll certainly check in here.

Night everyone,
Shimmers

grizzlyschick
04-26-2003, 06:53 AM
:) Hi everyone. Jen I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, and sorry for posting about it so late. I can't seem to make time during the week to get on this darn computer anymore. Gennel- your house is going up so fast! Definitely send pics when they're done! Well for me I had a 3lb loss this week. It came 1/2 way through the week, after I started on another plateau. From Sat. to Wed. I weighed the same, so I had to make changes again. I noticed looking back in my exercise journal, how after cardio days which was an hour on the elliptical, I was gaining a pound for 2 days or not losing at all. As much as I love that machine, I had to make a promise to only use it for 30 - 40 min. The rest of my cardio is broke up into intervals on the treadmill of speed walking and running. I thought I was fast jogging until I asked other members of the gym what speed they were running at and most were much lower than my speed. Anyway the intervals worked and got the weight moving again! Woo Hoo!:D I'm hoping to lose 2 more pounds by the end of the month but don't know if it's possible. The intervals on the treadmill will help to get my speed up for my weekend walking around the tracks at the 2 parks I go to. Anyway 15 lbs to goal! Let's hope I can make it without pulling all my hair out!:lol: Well gotta run- need some new under clothes. My sports bra actually slipped off my breast the other day while I was running! Thank God there was only women in the gym. I realized when I looked inside at the size it was 4 sizes bigger than what my chest is now. I had noticed they were much looser, but didn't realize it had been that long since I got new ones. Well hope you all have a great day. Take care- Di:wave:

angieME
04-26-2003, 09:04 AM
CONGRATS DI!!! Good thing there were only girls at the gym. :lol:

I didn't weigh myself all week so I haven't watched my weight fluctuate. It was nice to not wake up and either be pissed or even happy. I think I will start to weigh in only ONCE a week to take the stress of the next 10-20? pounds off.

I weigh 150 even. WOOHOO!! Maybe next week I will see the 140's!! I lost a total of 3.5 pounds this month.

I hope everyone has a great weigh in

laney1733
04-26-2003, 11:09 AM
Congrats go out to Angie and grizzlychick, You guys are doing great!! You have so much to be proud of!!:bravo: :high: I hope weighing in only once a week works out better for you Angie. A lot of people seem to have much better luck with that.
I am reporting in with a two pound loss this week. I am very happy after my stand still last week! That puts me at an 8 pound loss for this challenge! I think that is the most I've ever lost in a challenge.
Di, I know I am a slow jogger!:lol: I jog at 4.6 to 5 mph usually. I can do 1-2 minute intervals at 6mph, just before I fall off in a pile of mushy exhaustion! I'm just happy to be jogging at all.:) I work out at home so I don't even have anyone to compare it too. That could be good, or bad!:lol: Omg about the flying boob!! I feel like that could happen at any time! I wear two sports bras, the one on top being a size too small. My dh likes to tease that you could bounce quarters off of my chest. I do feel like I can't expand my rib cage all the way, but I am a 38d, just down from a 40dd. Any they have a mind of their own if I don't reign them in!! I wouldn't want to hurt someone.:s: Good luck on your shopping expedition.
And good luck and congrats to all those who haven't yet reported in for the week!! Have a lovely weekend all, TTFN,

jen519
04-26-2003, 01:51 PM
Good morning all.
Glad to hear everyone up and reporting in with successes so far. This week I get to count myself among you (finally, even if it's a small one). I'm down 2 pounds from the last weigh-in, which brings me to a total of...drum roll please...1 whole pound for this challenge. You see, I was going the wrong way for a while. I'm still happy, though. It's possible if I work at it.
Anyone have great plans for the weekend? I feel like I want to do something fun and different, but it's raining and I can't figure out what. Maybe just going for a drive with my DD. We can load up on our favorite CDs and go whatever way we felt like. Haven't done that in a while, but we both love it. Oops! I forgot I have to be home between 1 and 3 so the hospital bed people can come and pick up grandma's bed. Well, maybe just a movie (NO SNACKS!)

Jen
238/227/140

Yoyo Mom
04-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Congratulations, Angie, Di, and Serina!!! :cp:
You all rock!

Hey, Jen, you too! You snuck in while I was posting!
It's great that you are on the right track!

I managed to lose the pound I had gained last week, which
puts my total weight loss for this challenge back at 4.5 pounds.
Whew! That was a squeaker! I was up a few pounds mid-week
due to my falling off the wagon :nono: and I got back on just in time :angel: .

My 6-year-old daughter has been motivating me to move today. She said whe would do 10 math problems every time I caught her, so I spent the morning chasing her around the house. Now I'm about to go off to the pool with her. It's funny that I don't want to exercise for my own good, but I will get off my duff for her!

BTW, I found a partial solution to my disappointment over the calorie count of sushi. One of my favorites is the tobiko roe. I
bought a package of the roe at an Oriental grocery store and
I put a couple of tablespoons on a salad (along with some
olive oil, but less than usual). The roe only has 20 cal/tablespoon
so I come out ahead on the calories and I get to keep one of
my cravings at bay. :T

Good luck :lucky: to everyone else wrapping up the challenge!

Later,
-Deborah

laney1733
04-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Yahoo!!! Congratulations to Jen and Deborah!!!:bravo: :high: This journey is so frustratingly long and difficult, you guys are doing some awsome work!!:) The whole family went to the park today. We played tennis, then the kids played with my dh while I walked 3 miles. It was great fun. Now dh is grilling some dinner. There is talk of having a bonfire tonight. Sounds l;ike fun, but that means the danger of hot dogs and smore's. I'll have to get some Wow Doritos to keep me busy!!:nono: I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend, TTFN,

angieME
04-27-2003, 12:03 AM
YEAH JEN, DEBORAH and SERINA!!!! YOU ROCK GIRLS!!!

grizzlyschick
04-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone- WOO HOO Jen- Way to go!:cb: Angie- 150- you go girl:D Serina- I couldn't believe when that happened! I bought better bras yesterday. My chest was originally a 58D now it's a 36C, the bra I fell out of was a 40C! My own stupidity or laziness for not buying another one sooner! The new ones are so much better fitting. Congrats on the loss- WOO HOO to you too! Congrats to you to Yoyo Mom:D Ladies I have something that pissed me off this morning, hope you don't mind if I rant. I went for my Sunday walk at the park. Since it's a gorgeous day all the fishermen are out. On my walk to and from the park I got beeped at, stared at as I walked by, commented on, and the worst was 3 guys at the park who walked behind me with their fishing gear and talked about me:mad: Yes talked loud enough for me to hear! About my speed, and my wiggling ***! Now since I was speed walking they were talking pretty darn loud for me to be able to hear their comments part way around the track. Don't get me wrong I like compliments, I don't like nasty comments, or a bank of fishermen, mumbling and leering every time I walk by. I'm patting myself on the back for not turning and saying what I wanted to say, only because I refused to mess up my pace for those idiots. Why do some men think they have a right to be like that? Am I over reacting? ARGH!!!:) Take care all- Di

shimmers
04-28-2003, 02:43 AM
Way to go, women! I'm so glad you let me join you -- your motivation and energy and encouragement are truly inspiring. I only lost 1.5 pounds all in all, but that's 1.5 that wouldn't have come off otherwise, and I'm down .5 inch, go figure.

So when do we begin again?
I'm raring to go.
Shimmers

Oh, Di, heck no you're not overreacting -- that kind of behavior is not only offensive, it's intimidating and deflating. How Can men of conscience and humanity act that way? Good for you for powering on and continuing your workout.

plb112467
04-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Well I am here for my late check in and I am proud to say that I am below 200!! Yes 199!!! I was thrilled to see that scale stop there and not go up to 200!! This 1 lb loss for this week puts me at 6 lbs for the challenge, so I did not meet my goal for the challenge ( which was 8 lbs), but since I have finally made it below 200, it does not bother me!!:cp: :cp: :cp: :cp:

Now my plan is to NEVER go back over 200!!

Lots of losses this week!! Congrats to everybody!! :D

Di I do NOT think you were overreacting about the comments those "guys" made!! How rude!! :mad: :mad: But don't worry about it; they are obviously idiots!!

Again congrats to ALL the losers!!

choci
04-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm checking in late also... no good news and no bad news, really. I'm holding steady at 257.5 so makes it a total loss for the month of 2.5. Hey, look at it this way: at that rate, it is 30 lbs a year! Not too shabby!

I've still got faith that I will get REALLY going again soon... I am happy that I remain under 260 with a total loss of over 50 pounds since the end of October. In that perspective, I really can't be anything but happy.

Congrats to everyone, and see you next challenge, yes?

YES!

~~Amy

melekalikimaka
04-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Hey everyone. I'm down a pound from last week bringing me to 170 even and 8 lbs lost this challenge :dancer: . This is the most I've lost in a month in a long time so I'm a happy camper. Downward into the 160's next.

I didn't have access to a computer this weekend because hubby decided to do some rearranging of our living room to accommodate his home gym...that meant disconnecting the computer and moving it and all the other stuff to the complete opposite side of the room. I had cables and cords hanging out of everywhere and even the desk was partially taken apart. We didn't have a chance to put it back together til late last night since we went to a friends wedding yesterday. So here I am and ready to get back to business.

Congrats on all the fabulous losses this challenge ladies, thanks for your support!!!

Di some men are :ink: . Good for you for not kicking their collective @sses :lol: . Can you believe some guys think catcalls, whistling and horn tooting will actually attract women? Sheesh, the more my insulating fat layer comes off the more exposed and vulnerable to the world I feel--but it doesn't mean I'm gonna keep it on. Let's go girls and get these pounds off. :cb:

Gennel
04-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Congrats to you losers and those hanging in there!!!!
Di the flying boob made me laugh because its happened to me!

plb112467 Goal 8 lbs..Loss 6lbs

Clarita..Goal 4 lbs

mbg..Goal 9 lbs

AngieMe..Goal 6 lbs..Loss 3.5 lbs

melekalikimaka ..Goal 6 lbs ..Loss 8 lbs

Laney1733.Goal 6 lbs..loss 8 lbs

grizzlyschick ..Goal 7 lbs loss 9 lbs

Angel26519 ..Goal 8lbs

Jen519..Goal 6 lbs..Loss 1 lb

Shimmers ..Goal 6 lbs..Loss 1.5 lbs

Gennel
04-28-2003, 02:39 PM
I'll start a new challenge link tonight! If my computer doesnt freak out on me !I have a virus and it keeps freezing up and shutting down the computer. My husband has fixed this problem at least 3 times already! I have Norton Antivirus but it cant delete this certain virus! It only quaranteens it for like 48 hours.

well gotta go,

Gen

Yoyo Mom
04-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Hey, Gen,

Hope your computer starts feeling better! What an annoying bummer!

Just a suggestion... maybe you could put the start date of the challenge in the title. That would help me, since I've lost track before, but it might also attract new people who see that the challenge has just started without having to read the thread.

Thanks for keeping up this challenge thread! I love it! I hope it helps you in your goal to maintain.

Later,
-Deborah

Gennel
04-30-2003, 10:45 PM
I'm a survivor! Im here ! My computer is giving me mega problems so my dear husband has to do a back up and install everything again. My computer is even making weird noises!

Here 's the link to the new challenge!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27203