Goal! - What worked for you & how long have you kept it off? Pls: concise answers only.

aquilegia
06-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi everyone,

I started reading half a dozen goal stories, and was very frustrated by the lengthy posts, the up and down sagas, the break-up stories and weight gain, all the things that didn't work, etc.

Sorry, but I don't feel like reading the whole saga of someone's life since they were a kid.

I would just appreciate the bottom line: a bulleted list consisting of:

- How much weight you lost
- How long you've kept that amount off
- What you did (only a bulleted list of what you did, please NOT the long drawn out story!

Thanks. Looking forward to (quickly!) reading what worked for you!

carter
06-09-2012, 10:23 AM
If you are looking for a short concise road to weight loss, I've got bad news for you: there isn't one. The short version of how I lost weight and how I'm keeping it off is not very illuminating:

Eat less. Exercise more.

Hey, that's it - that is all you have to do. Easy, right? Why would anybody waste *your* precious time typing out more?

Well, the real work is in all the details, all the numerous approaches and strategies I worked out to achieve those simple ends, to make them feasible and sustainable and part of my routine.

Losing weight takes a lot of sustained effort - more effort than reading a few long postings and giving some thought to the details of how different people managed to eate less and move more. I hope some day you stop looking for a shortcut, bullet-point approach, because there really isn't one.

bargoo
06-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I agree with carter 100%, couldn't have said it better.

byugal
06-09-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm new, and I love the stories. I read some every morning and some every evening. It is inspiring to me. I don't have as much weight to lose as some people....but I am 65...so not exactly a spring chicken. I hope some day my story will be inspiring to someone. I am sure that every one of us is a diet expert. I know that I have been on just about every diet known to mankind, and a few that I made up myself. We all know there is no quick fix. It is diet and exercise, but when we can empathize with someone, because we have also had those same feelings, the same ups and downs, and read that they have been able to over come these things....it gives us encouragement to keep going. When the scale gets stuck...we especially need something to keep us motivated. So, I want to thank everyone for their stories and their goal pictures. Congratulations to each and every one of you. And to the people still on the journey...and really, it is a never ending journey, thank you for helping me along the way.

Diana3271
06-09-2012, 11:07 AM
I totally agree with Carter. The bottom line, no frills answer is to consume less calories than your body needs to maintain. Simple as that, or not. ;)

Exhale15
06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Realize that this is a lifestyle change that requires a mature assessment of where you are, what your toxic foods/people/situations are, and planning for how you are going to change what is not working for you. Cut out processed foods, and get in at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. As you lose the weight and feel better, you'll progress in how clean your food is and how much/what kind of exercise you're doing. See yourself as a work in progress, stick to your new habits.

seagirl
06-09-2012, 11:27 AM
I find that sometimes when I start a new venture (knitting, rock climbing, triathlons, running) I start to spend more time reading about other people's experiences with them then actually doing the thing! There is no magic message board post that is going to make me a better knitter, runner, climber, weight loss-er. I just need to work my weight loss, get out and run and pick up my knitting needles.

So maybe just skip the goal stories for now and take that time to work on your own goal.

free1
06-09-2012, 11:33 AM
The details are what make you successful....Agree with Carter...

Eat less, exercise more.

luckymommy
06-09-2012, 11:55 AM
* over 70 lbs.
* about 6 months
* Count calories
* Lose It app on my iPhone
* limit processed sugar
* don't drink calories
* exercise every day (30-40 minutes of elliptical, weights, walking the dog)

bargoo
06-09-2012, 12:09 PM
* over 70 lbs.
* about 6 months
* Count calories
* Lose It app on my iPhone
* limit processed sugar
* don't drink calories
* exercise every day (30-40 minutes of elliptical, weights, walking the dog)

I was impressed with this and looked at some of luckymommy's previous posts. Like many of us she has lost and regained and started over again..
I think that is a common occurence of dieters,, we are not always successful the first time and never have to diet again.

ValRock
06-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Don't. Ever. Give. Up.

The end.

snaggly
06-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm another who agrees totally with Carter.

I don't have a goal story on this forum but to answer your question:
- 20lbs lost this time
- kept it off around 2 months now (very short period still for me)
- what worked was eating less and exercising more and being mentally prepared to lose the weight.

sontaikle
06-09-2012, 01:09 PM
The long emotional posts are much more valuable than you think. The weight loss process is much more mental than it is physical; getting an idea of a person's headspace throughout the weight loss process can help you deal with your own mental issues and ensure that you're ready to lose weight.

Exhale15
06-09-2012, 01:44 PM
I find that sometimes when I start a new venture (knitting, rock climbing, triathlons, running) I start to spend more time reading about other people's experiences with them then actually doing the thing! There is no magic message board post that is going to make me a better knitter, runner, climber, weight loss-er. I just need to work my weight loss, get out and run and pick up my knitting needles.

So maybe just skip the goal stories for now and take that time to work on your own goal.

That's me, too.:o

kaplods
06-09-2012, 02:29 PM
1. I've lost 105 lbs so far, and have about 150 more to go.

2. It's taken me seven years to do it (after a life time of trying)

3. As to how I did it, bottomline?

- - Hundreds of books, years of study and research, and dozens of small
- - strategies & life experiences that you obviously don't have the time,
- - patience, or interest to read about - my most concise explanation would fill a book.

Exhale15
06-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I think that you can see that, while there are some similarities, people have different approaches. You have to find your best fit.

jessper17
06-09-2012, 03:52 PM
I lost 135 pounds and have kept it off for the last 6ish months.

I did Weight Watchers - followed the program, exercised a moderate amount. Ate all the points every day and used all the weekly and activity points. Never cut anything out except regular pop.

That's it.

Oh yeah and I never gave up - I am of the mind that you either want to be successful or you don't, so find something and stick with it. Consistency is key.

ChickieChicks
06-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Yikes. It must be just me, but the first post brought out my Momma Lion Mode! Don't be so snarky, especially when asking for advice! 3FC has been awesome for so many people during the whole journey. You came on here and basically told everyone how annoying we are, but to help you anyway, in your very demanding ( and demeaning) terms.

Good luck on YOUR JOURNEY.

Dorian5
06-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Glad it's not just me, chickiechicks. Couldn't help but feel offended, those goal stories mean SO much to me, all of them. Every single one. Those posts got me through days when "concise" weight loss facts could not, as this journey is SO emotional for so many. Felt like this was a snotty way to ask for advice.

Maybe I'm sensitive. :?:

sontaikle
06-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Yikes. It must be just me, but the first post brought out my Momma Lion Mode! Don't be so snarky, especially when asking for advice! 3FC has been awesome for so many people during the whole journey. You came on here and basically told everyone how annoying we are, but to help you anyway, in your very demanding ( and demeaning) terms.

Glad it's not just me, chickiechicks. Couldn't help but feel offended, those goal stories mean SO much to me, all of them. Every single one. Those posts got me through days when "concise" weight loss facts could not, as this journey is SO emotional for so many. Felt like this was a snotty way to ask for advice.

Maybe I'm sensitive. :?:

Totally agree with you both. I was offended but refrained from saying so. Perhaps I should have spoken up in a different manner than my original post ;)

Goal stories helped me see the emotional side of weight loss—which is probably the most important side. I think that the more people realize that weight loss isn't as much physical as it is mental and emotional then the "easier" it will be.

tonimaroni2
06-12-2012, 09:57 PM
To the 3 before me, agreed! A lot of those goal stories are inspiring enough to make me cry! Definitely what gets me back on track too...

berryblondeboys
06-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Well, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The tone was definitely in the "I dont' want to read other people's crap, just give me the low down" I cannot deny that, but if I look past that, she just wants to know what works so that she can start her journey and do so successfully - not just taking the weight off, but keeping it off.

However, I will say this, Anyone who is 100 pounds overweight or more didn't get fat by eating a bit too much. There is almost always mental stuff going on too and I hope the OP realizes that and will learn to address that when she gets to it (as she will). A person who isn't dealing with some mental issues with food wouldn't balloon up to over 100 pounds overweight - myself included.

BUT... what takes the weight off and keeps it off?

What's already been mentioned - portion control - either by counting calories, using WW or some other system. Exercise, while not necessary, helps move the process along faster for some and will result in a nicer looking body, healthier body and will help with keeping up the metabolism.

Then for me - the key is getting enough sleep and controlling carb portions. I'm not at goal yet, so I can't address how long I've kept it off, but I have been at it for nearly 18 months and haven't gained it back and have found ways to keep the weight off on months when dieting isn't really easy.

TiffNeedsChange
06-12-2012, 11:25 PM

I totally agree!! I love that everyone is so open about all of the ups and downs that they have gone through. The stories and advice give a more human side to weight loss. You have to be willing to do a lot of research to find out what works and I think that this website and all of it's users has been more help than anything else I have ever read on some website. I learn new things everyday! Maybe you're just a "TYPE A" personality but they way you posted came off as rude.

djs06
06-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Agreed. OP, in the future when asking for advice you might want to check your tone. If you hadn't come off as condescending as you did, you might have gotten more responses.. But then you'd have to weed through them, so maybe that was the point.

juliana77
06-12-2012, 11:40 PM
(I think sometimes tone does not come across as intended, so I'm willing to give OP the benefit of the doubt here.)

I've lost 117 lbs since Feb of 2011. I'm not done losing yet, but haven't plateaued or regained.

My plan is simple:

I count calories every day and stay under my cap (currently 1400 base + some exercise cals when I earn them) 99% of the time. I eat high fiber (35g) and average 45% carb, 30% fat, 25% protein. I eat whatever I want within these parameters.

I generally exercise 3-4x a week (but occasionally fall off the wagon and don't exercise at all for weeks/months at a time).

caramelkitty
06-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Honestly, I don't even feel like answering this but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and spare you my "long" story even though I'm not at goal yet...

Eat less, drink more water and exercise. There. As simple as it seems, that's all there is to it.

Other than that, maybe your "rushing through" personality is what will NOT work for you. Try being patient and finding what works for you.

And no offence, but you'll find a lot of inspiration and most probably one of those "long annoying" stories, will hit closer to home for you and you'll be able to lose weight the right way.

Anywho, I sincerely wish you the best of luck on your journey.

And for the ladies with the goal stories, I thank you for posting them, as you have been my motivation, and I read every single one, from top to bottom. Thank you.

Emama
06-13-2012, 01:52 AM
I have just completed my third week of changing my life to eat healthy and get healthy. I want to thank all of the courageous ladies (and men) who have shared their intimate stories with all of us. They have been touching and inspiring! Bless you.
I have lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. I calorie count 1200-1500 calories (with calorie cycling). I make my calories count my eating healthy (lean protein, lots of veggies, a little fruit, whole grains). I also write down everything I eat so that I can "see" what I ate each day. I do not expect to do this forever. This is to help me learn about portion sizes etc.
Good luck on your journey and know that there is a lot of wisdom here.

Tai
06-13-2012, 07:10 AM
The bulleted points don't really tell much about me but here goes:

* 145 pounds lost

* I've kept it off for 3 years and eight months

* I counted calories and was kind of strict with myself.

So much more went into it but it sounds like you just want the bottom line so I hope this helps.

mandalinn82
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
* 130 lbs lost (before I got pregnant, anyway)
* Maintained 4 years (again, before getting pregnant...baby is only 4 weeks old, so I'm not at goal at the moment)
* Ate less
* Exercised more.

In my experience, most people know HOW to lose weight, technically (that whole "eat less food, exercise more regularly" thing), so the goal stories are useful in that they tell you HOW normal people actually executed those things in their lives. In my experience, weight loss is one of those things that is easy in theory and difficult in practice.

Elliemar
06-14-2012, 06:43 AM
I for one love the "lengthy" stories - they tell me that I'm not alone in the battles I've faced and the problems and ups & downs I've had along the way and that's somehow reassuring. We all know how, but actually doing it is much harder in reality.

Bullet points? They don't tell you much:

- 70lb
- a year
- Ate healthier, moved more.

And, as some else so perfectly put it:

Never. Give. Up.

Ruthxxx
06-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Closing this thread. The OP has not been back online since she posted this thread. If and when she returns, she has a good selection of answers and comments.