Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #1  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Fighting craving/urges?

So for the past week, I've been battling cravings like crazy. Like, right now, I REALLY want some hot and sour soup. So so so bad. Hot and sour soup with Olive Garden salad. How do you all fight your cravings?
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #2  

I like to think
Trees that don't bend with the wind, won't last the storm
I don't fight the cravings, I just sit through them and "suffer" The cravings pass and I am always so much happier that I sat through it. I remind myself I never make a happy post after "indulging" in junk food. There are many who can eat all foods in moderation and lose, but I prefer saying no thanks.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

If it is something I want badly for days on end and without ceasing I will usually give in to it, but plan for it and work it in to my plan. Especially if it is junk. If it is regular food, I ask if it could be something I'm craving for a reason, like a deficit or something. If that's the case, I eat it sooner. But I still work it in to the plan. My biggest downfall is garlic parmesan chicken wings. About Olive Garden: I had a gift certificate, and decided I was going to go and eat whatever I wanted. I was disappointed because I ate everything I wanted and I didn't think any of it was that good. And then I was just ready to get back on my regular plan, because the sudden reintroduction of all of the fat was not a good idea for my gi system, if you know what I mean. So just decide if you really want it, and plan for it, and get back on plan. Just make sure you REALLY want it.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

When I start craving some kind of food, I will literally say quietly, "stop it!". I try to tell myself that I need to stop obsessing because I have to keep on the straight and narrow.

If I'm hungry and have some calories to spare, I will eat a healthier food. I will usually feel better and stop craving.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #5  

I distract myself. I'll think of the reasons why I'm dieting to begin with, and try to imagine myself when I'm at my goal weight.

Another thing I do is when I'm craving something, I'll drink a cup of tea, eat one peppermint candy slowly, and if I'm still craving something I'll take a shower and brush my teeth.

For me, distraction is the key! I also watch movies...tv shows...take walks....call friends....anything to get my mind off food.

Although maybe you should give yourself one day a week or one day every two weeks to eat what you whatever you want for a meal (with portion control though!). That also helps some people fight those cravings...knowing they have a reward day.
chemistrygirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/114

Height: 5'3"

when i get cravings, i try to drink water or tea. most of the times though i'll chew gum, & my cravings usually go away (:
delyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

if it's something I'm craving for more than a few days I try to make a healthier/low calorie version. the things you are craving don't sound all that bad and are probably easy to make on your own..craving a salad is always better than craving pizza! maybe search around on google for copy cat recipes and adjust them if needed (use less oil, etc)!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Keep yourself busy. The more you think about food the more you'll think about food and then the more you'll think about food.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassiebby1124 View Post
So for the past week, I've been battling cravings like crazy. Like, right now, I REALLY want some hot and sour soup. So so so bad. Hot and sour soup with Olive Garden salad. How do you all fight your cravings?
To me Hot and Sour soup with a salad does not sound bad at all. There are worse things you could be craving. I would say have a portion of the soup and salad for lunch or dinner and work it into your plan.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #10  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I try to think about why I'm having the craving. I found out that these days, they're more linked to what my body needs. I.e. lately I've been craving pretzels like crazy, but I also have low blood pressure, and so I wonder if it's not my body just demanding 'salt' (I don't eat very salty foods in general). Or when I'm on the road and keep thinking "I want to eat at McDonald's", most often I end up just ordering a pack of fruits, because I was actually thirsty, not really craving junk food.

Some other times I give in, but if you do that, you have to be able to stop at that one cookie and not down the whole box, etc. It's particularly hard sometimes. ^^;
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 115/79.1/75kg

Height: 160

It is probably better to make a deal with yourself to only have a very small serving. A small serving will not leave you feeling guilty. Give yourself permission to have a small reward on occasions.
Goanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

If I'm craving something for days, I give in and plan my day around it.

I've wanted Panera for WEEKS (which, quite honestly isn't all that bad of a thing to crave) so I finally had some time yesterday and went. I was happy. Life moves on.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #13  

Height: 5'1

Definitely keep yourself busy. It is difficult but you can fight the urges. I recently heard that a craving only lasts for about 20 minutes before it goes away so when you think about it, you could fight those 20 minutes pretty well! I'd do things people suggested like taking a shower or drinking water! Anything I'm feeling the urge for something sweet (my cravings would be sweets, chocolate and crisps), I would have water beside me drinking it. It has been effective to me, I must say. Seems to make those cravings go.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #14  

As for me I don’t fight them off. I usually give in to whatever I crave, but with moderation. It is always the key. I hate depriving myself of the foods i love to eat, it just depresses me a lot.
iyah0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #15  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Keep yourself busy. The more you think about food the more you'll think about food and then the more you'll think about food.
Probably the most awesome post ever.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote