Atkins - June 2012 Atkins newbies and chat thread

ghost
06-07-2012, 02:58 PM
6 days into June and we now officially have a June Chat thread, lol! I am not very observant...I could have gone on for months posting in the May thread.

ultrapeaches
06-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Happy June! We're getting a Russian guest through our sister cities program tomorrow,and he is apparently a vegetarian, so I have no idea what I'm going to feed him. I'm going to feel so awkward making him separate meals, but so be it. Hopefully he'll be busy with his travel group most of the time. I at least need to buy some bread and milk...

happyrunner
06-07-2012, 05:05 PM
June it is!!!! Almost one month into Atkins I'm getting a bit bored with the food choice.... I want a nice cold fruit juice sooooo bad sometimes, tired of water!!!! :^:

Slimmer Down Now
06-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Yay June! hahaha

Ultra - does the guest eat seafood? You may want to ask.. that could make things easeir knowing how strict they are.. if they were vegan that'd be tough!

happyrunner - have you tried crystal light packets or something like that??

happyrunner
06-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Yay June! hahaha

Ultra - does the guest eat seafood? You may want to ask.. that could make things easeir knowing how strict they are.. if they were vegan that'd be tough!

happyrunner - have you tried crystal light packets or something like that??

I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners and last time I used I stopped losing weight... maybe I was drinking too much of it....it was at the beginning and I was in my sugar withdrawal :^: so maybe I was using to satisfy my sugar cravings :?:

I guess I could try again, but with limitations ;)

ghost
06-08-2012, 02:13 AM
I limit the artificial sweetners too. I think the rule of thumb is that one packet is 1 carb. My taste is changing though, sweetened things are too sweet for me now. Sometimes when I miss diet coke it's because of the bubbly so I drink a Perrier. Or I make iced tea using herb tea that has licorice root as a sweetner. Yogi tea has one called Egyptian licorice that is so flippin good, and spicy ;)

TempleBody
06-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Hey guys! I'm on Day 7 of Induction ... boy it has been tough. I cracked and a had a little diet soda and on one day I had an Atkins bar (induction ok). I found them both to be pretty gross!

ultrapeaches
06-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Temple, I'm not a big fan of artificial or prepackaged foods either, and you absolutely don't need to eat them on Atkins. I was luke warm on Atkins when my husband talked me into doing it with him, so for the first couple weeks he made me lots of fresh, decadent food that was atkins-acceptable, like steak, bacon, and guacamole (which we pile on to lettuce leaves.) I seriously ate a steak for dinner like the first 3 nights of induction. Starting a low carb diet is hard - treat yourself.

My Russian guest does eat fish, so that's great. I was dreading cooking 2 different dinners every night.

ghost
06-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Had a big fatty ribeye for dinner last night. Atkins...I love you. Lol!
Also made a pound of bac on this morning, but...the boys inhaled almost the whole thing, I only had a piece and a half.

happyrunner
06-09-2012, 11:34 PM
My sugar cravings are coming back....with a vengeance:mad:... And I couldn't hold on anymore and ate a bite size brownie...:( It tasted soooo good, it's sad! But lucky for me I'm still on ketosis; for now anyway! Went for a run this morning so I'm pretty sure that all the sugar was burned off! Went to get some Crystal Light and realize that it's made with aspartame, thought we're not allowed aspartame on Atkins so I got Nestle's which are made with sucralose and also got the new Mio water enhancer....and let me tell you that Mio thing is GOOODDDDD :D. Now I just have to make sure I don't overuse it :^: Weigh-in tomorrow...afraid I wont like what it will say...don't ''feel'' like I lost weight...

Astro
06-10-2012, 03:34 AM
Had a huge diet coke, kicking the sweet tooth is hard.

Brooklynn
06-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Temple I consider this to be day 7 for me. I was LCing before this but this is the first week I really was doing Atkins induction. I had to bring one of the atkins bars with me yesterday because a cook out we were at had very limited choices for me. I was not impressed. I did have a diet pepsi though and let me tell ya I missed that lol! But thats what I have been drinking my whole life.

My official weigh in today shows I am down 5lbs for the week (10lbs since I started LCing, 5 since I started induction). I am pretty pleased. anyway another cook out today but this time they said they would make me some plain chicken and a cheese burger lol. She also bought some induction safe veggies.

gapeach
06-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Congrats on the nice lose Brooklynn!

ghost
06-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Awesome loss Brooklynn!

This weekend has not been kind to. Me. Went out to dinner with friends and it turned out they wanted Thai. Had springrolls thinking that rice wrapper is like, paper thin...looked it up...holy shiiiiiii...I just ate like, 60+ carbs!!! Not happy.

everdeen
06-11-2012, 09:27 AM
I think the artificial sweeteners are doing me in. I have been using the Nestle sucralose ones now and then but more often the Equal which is aspartame which Dr. A isn't fond of but it just tastes so much better than Splenda to me. Like you happyrunner, I wanted something other than bleeeepin water. Maybe I'll try some tea this week (I think I'm coming down with another cold! My throat's all scratchy.)

Slimmer Down Now
06-11-2012, 10:13 PM
I think everyone reacts differently with artificial sweetners... it may not be your friend.

Have ya'll tried infused water? I LOVE to put a pitcher in the friedge with thai basil... tastes like licorice water... i love it. Or if you're not a fan of licorace.. fresh mint is good too... and a couple lime slices... (from waht I looked up, you can put fruit in the water and infuse it with flavor without adding carbs/calories.. just don't eat the fruit.. has anyone heard differently??)

ghost
06-12-2012, 01:09 AM
I love lemon water and cucumber water, always have a jug of one of them in the fridge. Makes it easier to drink my water everyday, especially the cucumber, it's so refreshing.

SilhouetteStarr
06-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post to the forum. A friend refered me to the site and at first it was a tad overwhelming. I've spent a week or so browsing through all the info on various diets, resources, etc. and am amazed at the depth of information here! I've been attempting Atkins for the last few months, but with some big changes in my family life has kinda taken priority. Things are now settling down and tomorrow will be my first "official" day. Today I did a pre intro, had a bananna muffin for snack time with my toddler.

I use the generic mio stuff from walmart, i LOVE the southern sweet tea. i also use the lemon flavor for me regular hot tea. has anyone tried the snapple half n half? I use that to splash a little bit in my tea also. I'm in hte middle of reading Dr Atkins 2002 book and it has really helped to clarify things for me. The atkins site left me confused and flustered. I used their little carb book so much it fell apart checking all my foods for carb levels. lol

ultrapeaches
06-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Welcome Silhouette! These ladies are super helpful, you'll like it here.

So... out of curiosity, I tried to put my old, size 9 jeans on and... I can totally button them! They don't fit well enough to leave the house in yet, but they no longer seem like impossible doll clothes I'll never wear. I'm really almost there!

gapeach
06-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Ultra, awesome with the jeans! You'll be wearing them out soon!

ghost
06-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Happy Thursday all! I went to bed super early and dreamed it was the weekend, almost slept in....but I came to my senses...darn.

I think I had a whoosh, pants are loose and my wrists look smaller but its almost TOM so I'm not getting on that scale, lol! I don't want to see a high number when I know it should be a low number. psychologically, this is better for me.

Slimmer Down Now
06-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Good for you not weighing!! :)

Didn't feel good today and ended up getting some Chinese food.. didn't eat the rice, but I dont know what was in the sauce that was on it... ah well

What do you guys get when you order take out? I also got some eggdrop soup!

ghost
06-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I get mongolian beef and ask them to sautee it dry (no sauce which usually has corn syrup). Then I eat it with not rice. But, I stay away from chinese usually. When I go out I have a few safe foods, the town I live in only has five restaurants so...ya. One place I eat either a meditaranian salad with grilled chicken, or I get the pan seared chicken or cod with steamed veg and the other places we go, a steak no sides, or buffolo wings if they are not breaded (they usually are not). I made the mistake of going to the thai place the other night with friends and I think I mentioned here that when I got home I looked up the rice wrappers for the spring rolls I ate and they were massively carby for paper thin little things.

SO, I've been officially LCing in induction for a month now (as the TOM counts). I started last month around "this time." I haven't weighed in a few weeks so I don't know how much I've lost but I FEEL GREAT. I'm going to wait for Aunt Flo to go home and then I'll weigh and report my losses. I kinda want to stay on induction until I'm at or very near my GW. I guess its less Atkins and more keto, but...I love it. This is the first time in years that my TOM has been bareable, usually I'm bloated...cranky, crampy...headachy...not this time. I feel a-o-k.

Slimmer Down Now
06-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Ghost, that's awesome!! You've got some great restraing, not weighing for a few weeks! I should do that too.. but I do get encouraged by the scale... I just know I should only weigh once a week or so. That's awesome your TOM isn't bad... I didn't know LC could help in that way? I REALLY HOPE SO.. I have the WORST TOMs (every other one is pretty bad)...debilitating cramps.

I don't feel like my clothes fit much better... I can see most of the change in my face... Guess time will tell. I need to get into the gym now that I'm a couple weeks in. Hopefully that'll get it going even more! Hope you have a nice week!

Rocki
06-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Hey ladies..hope you all are doing well. I lost 4 lbs in my first week and really, I'm discouraged. I guess I really expected to lose way more than that. It's upsetting b/c I'm still so freaking stupid I eat to make myself feel better. I've been totally off plan today. I'm working (on a little break now) and I'm holding my back and my sides and feeling gross b/c I have so much extra fat there.

Do you ever get to where you just don't understand why you can't stick to anything? I really feel that way right now. I have been *trying* to get on plan and stay there for 2 years now. Seriously I have been trying for a few months. I just can't seem to stick to anything. And I've tried everything. I've tried shakes, MRC, hcg, Atkins, WW, just watching what I eat, etc.. I don't know why I can't stick to anything. I'm disgusted with how I look and feel, and had such high hopes for this. I know I put too much pressure on myself, but I can't see any other way when I never follow through. No one else is going to make me do this. I lost 48 lbs 4 years ago and kept it off for 2 years. I've been struggling for the last 2 years and have managed to gain almost 40 back.

If anyone has any insight, tools, tricks, books, anything to help me.. I'd really appreciate it! I'm going to try and get back on plan tomorrow. I have less than 8 weeks before my trip (and my 40th birthday) and I really wanted to be thinner by then. :(

treadmiler
06-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Temple, I'm not a big fan of artificial or prepackaged foods either, and you absolutely don't need to eat them on Atkins. I was luke warm on Atkins when my husband talked me into doing it with him, so for the first couple weeks he made me lots of fresh, decadent food that was atkins-acceptable, like steak, bacon, and guacamole (which we pile on to lettuce leaves.) I seriously ate a steak for dinner like the first 3 nights of induction. Starting a low carb diet is hard - treat yourself.

My Russian guest does eat fish, so that's great. I was dreading cooking 2 different dinners every night.

Steak & eggs for breakfast... (swoon)

ghost
06-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey ladies..hope you all are doing well. I lost 4 lbs in my first week and really, I'm discouraged. I guess I really expected to lose way more than that. It's upsetting b/c I'm still so freaking stupid I eat to make myself feel better. I've been totally off plan today. I'm working (on a little break now) and I'm holding my back and my sides and feeling gross b/c I have so much extra fat there.

Do you ever get to where you just don't understand why you can't stick to anything? I really feel that way right now. I have been *trying* to get on plan and stay there for 2 years now. Seriously I have been trying for a few months. I just can't seem to stick to anything. And I've tried everything. I've tried shakes, MRC, hcg, Atkins, WW, just watching what I eat, etc.. I don't know why I can't stick to anything. I'm disgusted with how I look and feel, and had such high hopes for this. I know I put too much pressure on myself, but I can't see any other way when I never follow through. No one else is going to make me do this. I lost 48 lbs 4 years ago and kept it off for 2 years. I've been struggling for the last 2 years and have managed to gain almost 40 back.

If anyone has any insight, tools, tricks, books, anything to help me.. I'd really appreciate it! I'm going to try and get back on plan tomorrow. I have less than 8 weeks before my trip (and my 40th birthday) and I really wanted to be thinner by then. :(

Four lbs in your first week should not be discouraging. YOu don't have as much to lose as people who tend to lose more in induction. Yes, you are putting too much pressure on yourself. Atkins and LC diets are a WOL not a diet to move a few lbs and then switch plans. Just keep at it and the weight will keep coming off. People always expect LC to make them lose weight fast, but really, you lose the same as any other "diet" the differnce is its easier to stick to through the stalls.

I once suffered from diet ADD too, switching from one to another because I felt like they were not working. It does take patience to see results. You don't gain 40 lbs in a week, you can't expect it to all fall off in a week.

Rocki
06-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Thank you for the reminder Ghost..It does get discouraging though when you lose 4 lbs and 5 days later you're 1 lb higher and still only 3 lbs down total. Especially when you're eating eggs, meat, veggies and nothing else. Yes, I know this is a way of life and I need to stick to it, but I waited too long to get serious and now I have a lot to lose in a short period of time. I just wish I could lose a lot to jump start me and keeps my motivation up, kwim? Thanks again though.. I'm still working it today.

mustlose72
06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I use to think that way too, but you have to let it go. Stop worrying about losing so much by a certain date. Think more about it being a work in progress. Every day is not going to go perfectly and some days you will have to fight yourself. On other days, you have to give yourself a break and indulge in something that isn't too terribly bad. I am the type of person that wants instant and constant results. I have to keep reminding myself that it just isn't realistic and it is ok.

ghost
06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Just keep on keepin on Rocki, some weeks I lose nothing or even gain a pound or two, but its like my body is getting ready for the whoosh and all the sudden, 4 lbs in a week...like this week :)

Good news, I had to readjust my ticker again this morning after adjusting it yesterday morning too. After shark week I was 236 yesterday and this morning...oh a whim I weighed again...and I am now 234! Now a little history lesson on my yo yo history. 6 years ago I stepped on the scale and weighed 234 lbs. it took me four months to get down to 200. I hope I can do it faster this time, last time I was counting calories and was cheating a lot because I was never satisfied. This time I have to remind myself to eat because I can be sated for 10+ hours. Honestly, in the last 6 weeks I've only felt genuine hunger pangs a handful of times. This is why Atkins works for me. This is why I can be successful right now. I hope nothing about this WOE changes for me. I have no plans on climbing the carb latter till I'm at goal. I want to stay in keto, at induction levels of carb intake and feel this good.

Last night while driving to the store I was reflecting on a time in my life when my eating was out of control. I loved a block and a half from a cheesecake factory...and I would get a slice every day and eat the whole dang thing. I would start with a sliver and tell myself I would save the rest for my boyfriend when he got off work. There was never any left when he got off work and I'd hide the evidence of my gluttony in the bottom of the trash can covered with garbage. What is striking to me is that I don't have those cravings or urges to binge anymore. Another example is pizza. It is my trigger food. I can start with "I'm only going to have one slice." and an hour later the large pizza is gone. I havn't had pizza in over 6 weeks and I've not even wanted it. I know there are recipes for LC pizza made with cauliflower crust but I've not even wanted to make it...yet...I won't count that one out though. It does sound good. Point is, being in keto and the amazing feeling of control I have over food has really made the WOE and this WOL something I feel I can maintain indefinitely but its changed my perspecive on food altogether.

Happy Summer Solstice everybody!

Emmy501
06-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi all. I don't follow the Atkins diet, but I am counting carbs. I am curious to know if you count the "net" carbs or if you count the total carbs?

Rocki
06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Awesome story Ghost..thank you! I'm feeling a lot better the last two days and really feel like I have some control over my mind and my eating. I know it's only 2 days, but it's a start. Today I've been on plan (eating *taco* salad now). I'm trying not to obsess over the scale and really thinking of not weighing every day, but I hate to not know how I'm doing. :)

ghost
06-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Emmy: I'm doing 20 net carbs a day. I know some people who follow Atkins 72 and that is 20 total carbs a day. There are other differences also between new atkins and atkins 72 but I've never managed to obtain a copy of 72 so I stick with what I know which is what I've read in DANDR.

ghost
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Well, I've managed to maintain 234 for a few days now, I'm usually so up and down that I have to think this is a real number, lol! I hate scales, they are so fickle.

How is everyone else doing? Hope you are all on plan because its too easy to not be.

ghost
06-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Alright, so on my Sunday weigh in chart that I made a few weeks ago I wanted to be 235 by this morning and I weighed in at 235 exactly. I know I was lower within the last few days, but blips happen. So this morning in celebration of reaching my goal I'm having a cheat coffee ;) I used real coffee mate creamer with the vanilla caramel flavor, for 10 carbs. Mmmmm, so good!

This morning I got up and was getting ready to cook bacon for breakfast and my son said "I'm tired of bacon, I want lucky charms." so I had to send him to his grandmas to go eat cereal because I won't even buy that stuff anymore, lol! I'm more blown away by the fact that someone could EVER get tired of bacon though, lol! Who is this child and where did my bacon loving offspring go?

TiffNeedsChange
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi everyone! I am new to Atkins, still researching and I plan on starting Induction on Thursday. I am finding it hard to make a suitable meal plan because I used the Free Meal Planner and it included the Atkins shakes and bars but I read that those aren't really allowed in induction. Any suggestions? What were your Induction meal plans like?
EDIT: What book is everyone using? I don't have a book yet, I plan on checking out the local library first.

treadmiler
06-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi guys (chicks?) :) I'm on Day 10 of my not-really-Atkins-but-close to-it journey and I'm noticing a few things...

This is like quitting smoking. The craving for sweets, the longing to raid everything in the snack machine at work is ever-present, but so far manageable. I have set a firm DO NOT EAT list that I go by, and am allowing as much as I want of things that are "safe". So far I'm down 4 pounds, which is nice but still within the margin of error.

I find that I do not have the organizational discipline necessary to count carbs, points, calories, whatever. It's a strictly binary choice: can I eat this (yes/no)? Anything else and I am hopelessly lost.

I'm hoping the weird metallic taste in my mouth eventually goes away. Blech.

The past couple days I have come across an interesting phenomenon - I am feeling full on less food, even though that craving/hunger is still there. It's not like me to leave food on the plate, and it seems a little early along in the process for that to be the case.

Is this normal?

ghost
06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Welcome Tiffneedschange and Treadmiler!

Tiff: I have Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (oft referred to as DANDR around here). Meal planning is important becasue if you fail to plan you plan to fail.

Treadmiler, the beauty of ketosis is that it acts as a natural appitite suppressant. Also, eating Atkins style allows you a lot of satiating fats which help control appitite. People eating a SAD or a high carb low fat diet tend to be ravenous because of the boom and bust blood sugar surges and lows associated with high carb foods and insulin response. When you stop the blood sugar rollercoaster your appitite regulates itself better.

islandchick1
06-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Hello. everyone :wave: I thought I might join your thread :) I'm not new to Atkins nor to 3FC, but I'm rebooting on Induction. Hope to make some new friends along the way.

ghost
06-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Hi island chic! I think your avi is going to induce seizures, lol! Welcome back to Atkins induction!

TiffNeedsChange
06-28-2012, 01:49 AM
Hi Ghost! Thanks for the reccomendation of DANDR. My local library did not have that but I did get to rent "The Atkins Advantage" which basically explains Atkins in detail plus menus and advice on how to cope emotionally with the change. I bought everything I need today, tomorrow starts Induction for me.

How are you doing by the way?

islandchick1
06-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Thank you for the welcome Ghost :D