South Beach Diet - What's for dinner?

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

Xan
06-05-2012, 05:44 PM
This thread doesn't seem to be current, so I thought I'd start a late June/early Summer edition. I have found it very helpful in the past.

I'm really going to work on the vegetables this time, so tonight's dinner was 2 small summer squash and lots of mushrooms sauteed with onions (everything sliced) and spinach, accompanied by a small ground sirloin patty.

VermontMom
06-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Hi Xan :wave:

Chili - ground beef, onion, green peppers, red kidney beans, pink kidney beans, all kinds of tomato products. Maybe a hot dog thrown in there if I think I'm deserving :devil:

RiverGirl
06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Tonights dinner was homemade meatballs in spagetti sauce (with spinich) and a big garden salad.

Jenyfyr
06-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Leftover beef tenderloin with steamed broccoli and maybe some salad if I have any lettuce left in the fridge. Dessert will be raspberries with a few walnuts. Today is my first day of phase 2 - I've been looking forward to those raspberries all day! :carrot:

jekel383
06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Chicken and spaghetti squash scampi. I was out of shrimp so chicken had to suffice. Dessert tonight will be LF ricotta with strawberries and a little cocoa powder. The strawberry juices give it a nice flavor. Jen enjoy your raspberries!!

FabBy40Angel
06-05-2012, 08:55 PM
I made sloppy joes tonight but had to make my own seasoning mix. Did you know the first ingredient in sloppy joe seasoning is sugar?? WTH!! So in the grocery store I wrote down all the ingredients (sugar, garlic, onion, wheat flour, vinegar, chili powder, paprika, and salt) I didn't have paprika so just omitted that. I used splenda for the sugar (2tsp) and added cinnamon (1/2tsp) since I used to put brown sugar in mine too then 1/2 tsp salt a 1 tsp of the other ingredients. Then I added a can of diced tomatoes (pureed so my picky hubby wouldn't know he was eating veggies) and tomato paste with some water. It was yummy!

Anyway, also had a nice garden salad with caesar dressing.

Jenyfyr
06-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Chicken and spaghetti squash scampi. I was out of shrimp so chicken had to suffice. Dessert tonight will be LF ricotta with strawberries and a little cocoa powder. The strawberry juices give it a nice flavor. Jen enjoy your raspberries!!

Can I just tell you, those were the absolute most delicious raspberries in the history of fruit! I'm smitten :love:

CyndiM
06-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Any tilapia recipes to share? I just bought a lb for dinner and would love some new ideas. I'm making that with roasted asparagus and a salad of fresh greens

TwynnB
06-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Cyndi - I said something on facebook the other day re: tilapia, and they posted a whole bunch of recipes! Look on my wall, if you'd like. I think to look under the tilapia section of allrecipes.com would be useful too. (I'm trying to eat more fish, but don't know much about it...)

Xan
06-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm planning to do a pan-grilled sirloin steak and salad.

jekel383
06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Jen you would be In heaven here. We have six varieties of raspberries just waiting to ripen!

Tonight grilled London broil, salad with summer squash and zucchini. Dessert strawberries, cocoa powder and ricotta (new summer P2 favorite)

jenne1017
06-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Tonight, DW is going to a sleep study and has to eat "light" - I am thinking shrimp cocktail and a salad.

Jenyfyr
06-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Jen you would be In heaven here. We have six varieties of raspberries just waiting to ripen!

Tonight grilled London broil, salad with summer squash and zucchini. Dessert strawberries, cocoa powder and ricotta (new summer P2 favorite)

That does sound heavenly! Today I had my raspberries just after lunch because I felt a little more snacky last night than I did in P1. I felt fine today so I think maybe my fruits need to be a daytime thing & I'll stick with a veggie-heavy dinner/evening snacks.

Dinner tonight was a piece of lime chili tilapia from Highliner with a can of green beans. LOL, not exactly the veggie heavy meal I mentioned up there ^^ but I really wasn't feeling all that hungry tonight! The fish was quite tasty though and had a nice spicy kick to it!

Xan
06-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Tonight and last night is the same: baked salmon and asparagus.

CyndiM
06-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Broccoli Cannelini bean salad and a veggie burger, Strawberries & wine for dessert

jekel383
06-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Mexican stuffed pepper (was not hungry) ricotta with strawberries, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Eating out tonight (Saturday) not sure where uh oh

slimbysummer
06-09-2012, 07:33 AM
chilli
ground beef, can tomatoes, tomatoe puree, onion,garlic, chilli powder no beans DH has crohn's disease and can't have them

RiverGirl
06-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Tonights dinner was delish,

Left over chicken breast season with SBD 'Taco powder' (cubed)
Romain Lettuce (torn)
Cherry Tomatoes
Cucumbers (sliced and quartered)
Jalapenos (diced)
Green Onions (diced)
-All tossed together
Mixed Salsa with a small amt of Ranch to dress the salad.

It was wonderfully fresh, with a little kick of heat.

Xan
06-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Sliced portabella mushroom caps sautéed with onions, over spinach. Very good!

jenne1017
06-09-2012, 10:46 PM
I made homemade nachos (I used brown rice chips): RF cheddar slice, 1 serving of the chips, tomatillo salsa, guacamole and ground beef (92%) with my homemade taco sauce and fruit salad for dessert,

Jenyfyr
06-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Last night was beef tenderloin, roasted asparagus & salad. Tonight I'm roasting a chicken and will do steamed broccoli with sweet potato fries (using the toaster oven for them...I hope they turn out okay!)

jekel383
06-10-2012, 12:16 PM
last night chicken fajita wrap and salad, today going to a BBQ so I am at my family's mercy oh no!!

cottagebythesea
06-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Sliced portabella mushroom caps sautéed with onions, over spinach. Very good!

This sounded so good that I'm having it today with fresh spinach, green onions, and chard from my garden. :)

slimbysummer
06-10-2012, 02:06 PM
half a t bone steak ( they were too big for one meal) large salad, strawberries 2 tblspoons low fat whipped topping

slimbysummer
06-10-2012, 02:10 PM
jenyfyr how did you make your sweet potatoe chips and did they come out alright they sound good

Xan
06-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Tonight will be chicken tenders dipped in egg and covered with parmesan, with barely steamed broccoli.

Jenyfyr
06-10-2012, 02:33 PM
jenyfyr how did you make your sweet potatoe chips and did they come out alright they sound good

I haven't made them yet, but I'll let you know how they turn out!

Jenyfyr
06-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Slimbysummer - just popping back in to let you know I didn't end up making these tonight...it's hot enough in the house with the oven on, I really didn't want to turn on another appliance! This is the recipe I was going to use, in case you'd like to give it a shot: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/10/spicy-sweet-potatoes-fries-recipe.html

Lexxiss
06-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I've been serving raw sweet potato slices as a yummy and crispy garnish. I slice them really thin. We'll have a few tonight with;

~grilled wild Alaska Salmon
~broccoli florets drizzled with fresh organic lemon
~organic green salad w/cottage cheese and basil balsamic vinegarette mixed as dressing
~one serving, NSA vanilla bean ice cream (I use a scale to confirm my portion size)

The longer I follow SBD, the more my DH and I enjoy the really simple flavorings of "real food".

jekel383
06-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Debbie I couldn't agree more. I really enjoy a plate full of colorful food that I didn't order by number lol....tonight marinated grilled London broil and a large serving of yellow and green beans

CatMat
06-11-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm making a green bean, white bean, tomato and Ricotta Salada salad (you can also use Feta), and some sort of chicken. DH is doing either Quorn patties or Shrimp.

This post came at a terrific time! I was really trying to figure out what to eat!

Jenyfyr
06-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Had planned on the spicy shrimp & bok choy stir fry from the supercharged book but DH and I decided we weren't in a stir fry mood when he picked me up from work. Ended up having lean chicken sausages with tomato/cucumber/feta salad and green salad as sides. Also picked up some local strawberries - I can't ever remember having Ontario strawberries this early in the year! They are so delicious...if I'm not careful, I'll eat the whole pint tonight! :eek:

Xan
06-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Very busy day, so dinner was a quick one. 3 meatballs from Whole Foods, baked, and a bunch of brocolini,steamed. Iced tea, and a half cup of raspberries.

Xan
06-12-2012, 05:46 PM
I hope people are eating something for dinner!

I'm having the same thing as last night, see above.

CyndiM
06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Mom's birthday dinner - roasted asparagus and salmon cooked with pesto (garlic scape pesto!), zucchini slices, and tomatoes. Dessert is :censored: Let's just say there will be several days of lean protein, lots of veggies, and water to recover. Mom loved her dinner so it was totally worth it

jekel383
06-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Cydi that sounds great!! So glad you made it to NY for your mom's birthday. Tonight my dear friend (he is on P1 of SB), cooked an awesome dinner. Chicken piccata and steed eggplant (I don't know what else to call it) and tossed salad.

Ruthxxx
06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Yum! Scape pesto! I must raid Moel's garlic plantation.

I am having Salsa Chicken, roasted asparagus, sweet potato fries and delicious local strawberries with FF Greek yogurt!

I am thinking of making a wilted lettuce salad tomorrow using Canadian bacon and hot chicken stock or olive oil to make it wilt. Wish me luck!

cottagebythesea
06-13-2012, 06:00 PM
I should have invited myself to one of your homes for dinner. I had a boring so-so medley of black-eyed peas, diced red pepper & onions, and edamame.

Natalie'sMom
06-13-2012, 06:20 PM
I had grilled bell peppers with turkey bacon and a cup of tomato soup. :) yum!

Aldergrove BC
06-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Chicken Breast
Salad with tomatoes and cucumbers
Cauliflower Mash

And I always have home made veg soup on hand for snacking.

jekel383
06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Lazy leftovers lol SB chili recipe...but tomorrow night grilled chicken cutlet with mesquite seasoning with 1 piece bacon and slice of low fat Swiss on top and grilled asparagus... it is easier for me to eat before I leave work as I get home usually around 7 or 8pm.

cottagebythesea
06-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Baked red peppers stuffed with mashed sweet potato, spinach & green onion.

slimbysummer
06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
lowfat sausage , salad with a tbsp peanut butter
sf jello with a little half and half

Xan
06-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Sausage here, too! Chicken and basil sausage, mixed frozen vegetables (I'm cleaning out my freezer! I have bags and bags of vegetables in there)

cancersuckseggs
06-19-2012, 12:38 AM
scrambled egg cooked in 1/2 tsp icinb topped with 1/2 tsp. oil, roasted red potato with ketchup and 1/2 tsp oil, bout 1/2 c of steamed zucchini topped with crushed tomatoes and 3 c watermelon.

slimbysummer
06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
steak poivre as per cook book ,put the grilled peppers on a bed of baby lettuce, it was all very yummy

Thighs Be Gone
06-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Tonight I am making shrimp chowder--new recipe--ripped it out of the magazine at my hairdresser--ssshhhhhh! :). It is total whole foods and low-cal--can't wait!

Xan
06-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Quick dinner -- mushroom soup and a salad. Very glad others picked up this thread again!

FabBy40Angel
06-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Cheese steak tortilla (sliced london broil, sauteed onion and red pepper, and a slice of chopped tomato folded into a skillet warmed whole wheat tortilla with lf cheese and low sugar ketchup) and 2 cups steamed snow peas

Dessert: sliced strawberries with sf chocolate syrup and lf whipped cream with a cup of 1% milk

CatMat
06-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Pan seared Tilapia - light coating of Almond and coconut flour, salad with oranges, red onion, white beans (avocado wasn't ripe enough to use), and Cilantro Citrus vinaigrette over all (dressing is to die for!). Light sprinkling of Cotija cheese over all. I found the salad on Eating Well, but added the white beans. You can also do it as a main dish salad by putting grilled shrimp on top - instead of the tilapia on the side.

slimbysummer
06-20-2012, 06:28 AM
salmon chowder out of the sb cookbook

TwynnB
06-20-2012, 06:46 AM
catmat - is that viniagrette recipe on here somewhere?

littlechick
06-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Barley Soup for supper tonight. Should be perfect for a damp rainy day.

CatMat
06-20-2012, 07:46 AM
No, but I'll put it on this morning.

CatMat
06-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Alright - Orange Avocado salad posted, along with Vinaigrette recipe in a separate post. As I was typing it - I was thinking you could make it Phase 1 friendly by using all lime juice with a bit of orange extract and just a pinch of splenda. I didn't want to put it on the recipe because I hadn't tried it!

irinaelenav
06-20-2012, 08:34 AM
out of ideas .need a salad idea for tonight ty

CyndiM
07-06-2012, 08:13 AM
I had to resurrect this thread to share my frittata success. It was too hot to turn the oven on so I experimented with a crockpot frittata. I used summer squash, fresh dill, and some feta. It was great, ready when I got home from work, and almost no extra heat in my already too warm kitchen! I also made a salad with napa cabbage and fresh tomatoes and cukes. The dressing was chunky PB, a tiny bit of toasted sesame oil, and a splash of soy sauce. I'm making another one of those today.

TwynnB
07-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Mmmmm...just had a fabulous salad for a hot day. Took the black bean and corn salad, and mutated it. See the notes, it was DELISH!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/salads-phase-2/165755-black-bean-corn-salad.html

Xan
07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks for resurrecting the thread! It's 99 degrees here, so it will sound ridiculous to say:

chili! (lean ground beef, beans, tomato sauce, mild chili powder) and a salad, but I had the chili in the fridge and could easily reheat it in a toaster oven.