Old 06-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #1  

Default Ideas for using leftovers

Hi, all. I'm a newbie here and looking forward to getting to know everyone! I hope this question hasn't been asked a million times; please forgive me, if so.

I am making my meal plans for the next couple of days, and I am quite positive I will have leftover "Italian Chicken" (shredded chicken, pepperoncinis, and italian dressing mix). I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for using that meat in something else. In the past, I have made enchiladas out of flour tortillas and the leftover chicken, but I'm not so sure I want to spend the calories on those tortillas.

Any ideas?
MommaOnMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #2  
present!

S/C/G: 200/174/145

Height: 5'3"

Try something like farro and chop up the chicken to put in it. You'll get a lot more bulk for your calories (1/2 cup cooked farro is the about the same as a single corn tortilla but for me it fills me up for longer like oatmeal does). You can eat it warm or cold, so works well for on the go lunches.

Or just go with green salad or spinach leaves.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #3  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

You can still make enchiladas, just use either low calorie tortillas or corn tortillas. There are some AWESOME recipies around that I'm sure you could use the chicken in.

Do any of these sound tasty?

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/c...nchiladas.html

(these are delish!) http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/06/c...adas-with.html

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/03/c...nchiladas.html

http://www.food.com/recipe/low-fat-c...t-taste-252267

And try this:

http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/lo...ken-enchiladas

I love food.com.

Good luck!!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

I'm constantly using leftover meat from dinner on wraps. I use flatout flatbreads, although lately I've been making lettuce wraps and they are really YUMMY. Easy to make the night before and throw in a bag when you're leaving in the morning

Additionally you could make a salad with the leftover chicken and whatever veggies you have lying around. I've done this a couple of times and put it together with red peppers and find that it doesn't need any dressing.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

If you get the flatout bread, it makes a **** of a pizza if you bake it at 375 for 7 minutes, top it with toppings, then bake for another 7 minutes. You can either flavor the chicken with stronger flavors (like BBQ or buffalo) and top the pizza with that and veggies or use the chicken as is with veggies and tomato sauce.

I like to use Ole Extreme Wellness high fiber tortillas because they have 71 calories each. They taste great as enchiladas, quesadillas, or just as a wrap.

I love to take cabbage, braise it with onion, salt and pepper, and mix it with leftover chicken, sometimes 1/2 cup of barley, rice or whatever is around.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #6  

I was BLEEPED!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 244/218.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Additionally you could make a salad with the leftover chicken and whatever veggies you have lying around. I've done this a couple of times and put it together with red peppers and find that it doesn't need any dressing.
I second this. It's what I normally do with leftover anything. Nom
Northernrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #8  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

Stir fry some veggies and add your chicken and some canned tomatoes to it. Serve it over some whole grain noodles or brown rice.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #9  
It's a beautiful day

S/C/G: 235/209/165

Height: 5'8"

i second the lettuce wrap idea!! i love making them out of all kinds of leftovers--you get extra greens in your diet without all the calories of tortillas
caroline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #10  

The old standby noodle bowl is awesome too, or any kind of soup!

Noodle bowl: slice and saute peppers, mushrooms, whatever leftover vegetables you have (I usually have roasted broccoli), and I usually use "Asian stir fry" frozen veggies too. In another bowl, add 1-2oz rice noodles, boil until cooked, drain keeping some of the liquid, and put the noodles into the veggies. Add some of the liquid, any kind of stir fry sauces you have - I use sriracha, oyster, fish, stir fry, or whatever I have (even soy w/pb) - until saucy, and add in my cooked protein - I use fish, chicken, whatever - until heated.

Top with scallions and cilantro.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
If you get the flatout bread, it makes a **** of a pizza if you bake it at 375 for 7 minutes, top it with toppings, then bake for another 7 minutes. You can either flavor the chicken with stronger flavors (like BBQ or buffalo) and top the pizza with that and veggies or use the chicken as is with veggies and tomato sauce.

I like to use Ole Extreme Wellness high fiber tortillas because they have 71 calories each. They taste great as enchiladas, quesadillas, or just as a wrap.

I love to take cabbage, braise it with onion, salt and pepper, and mix it with leftover chicken, sometimes 1/2 cup of barley, rice or whatever is around.
I've been using flatout breads for years and I never thought of using them as a pizza...I have to try that!

I also want to try the Ole Tortillas!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #12  

Quote:
I've been using flatout breads for years and I never thought of using them as a pizza...I have to try that!
They're awesome! Here's a link Flatout Pizza. Oops, it's 350 degrees. Do not go over temp, you'll end up with a crispy nightmare
Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #13  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:

I also want to try the Ole Tortillas!
Seriously? That was the first thing I did with them because I love pizza! Hahaha. Do be careful with sauces and toppings because the "crust" isn't strong enough for a lot. Learned that the hard way I personally love using a mix of homemade pizza sauce and BBQ sauce then topped with spinach, caramelized/sweated red onions, roasted bell peppers and chicken. Sort of like CPK's BBQ chicken pizza but with more veggies.

I use tortillas as pizza crusts too. If they are small tortillas, I can have 2 personal pizzas along with a huge salad.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Do be careful with sauces and toppings because the "crust" isn't strong enough for a lot. Learned that the hard way
Do you bake, then top, then re-bake like their website says? After I tried that I never had another problem

Last edited by Munchy; 06-06-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #15  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Do you bake, then top, then re-bake like their website says? After I tried that I never had another problem
Ah no, I will try that method. I just always thought it was me because I like my pizzas "saucy" with a lot of toppings, I mean a LOT where it's basically a pizza salad on top. Thanks!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote