Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/140

Height: 5'10"

Default food and camping

So we're going camping for the weekend in July and I'm seriously planning ahead lol. But I need idea for breakfasts!! I normally eat instant oatmeal in the microwave. What are some good breakfasts that wouldn't have to be heated? The first thing that comes to mind if Poptarts and cereal, neither of which I'm going to be eating!! Thanks!
gracesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

will you have a stove to boil water?
I'd bring a big hunk of hard cheese, hard boiled eggs, peanut or almond butter and crackers, apples.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

You could prepare some healthy muffins in advance.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #4  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quaker oatmeal makes oatmeal bars that are pretty good. They say it's the same as eating a bowl of it.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #5  
It's a beautiful day

S/C/G: 235/209/165

Height: 5'8"

"diet" bagels(thomas' hi fiber, whole grain just really thin!) PB, LF cream cheese, fruits,greek yogurt--i take these all when we camp for short periods of time--also agree with the hard boiled eggs!! no added fat and good protein to keep you full!
caroline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/see ticker/140

Ooooooo! These are all great ideas! I'm somewhat new to camping. Do y'all think that the cheese and yogurt and stuff will keep in ice?

I love the muffin idea. I'll see if I can find some super healthy recipes!
gracesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I love the hard boiled egg and hunk of cheese idea or you could make ahead frittatas, or (crustless or regular) quiche. They can be eaten at room temperature.

Another option is making granola bars or some kind of oatmeal bar, or eating peanut butter on some kind of bread, some fruit, etc.

I eat sandwiches for breakfast sometimes, but when I'm camping, we usually just eat whatever we brought - veggie burgers, turkey burgers, chicken sausages, etc.

Oatmeal bars or granola bars are easy to make ahead of time and bring with you. Yum!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/216/150

This is my favorite camping breakfast: Ziplock omelets!

Take scrambled raw eggs/eggwhites/eggbeaters and put in ziplock bag. Add veggies/cheese/meat/seasonings. Freeze solid. Throw in icechest and take camping. In the morning, bring a pot of water to a boil and throw in egg baggies. About six minutes later, voila! Fluffy, delicious, personal omelets you can just dump out of the baggie and onto a plate. I've used them as far as two days after leaving home, though I think the third day might be pushing it unless you have a pretty solid ice chest situation going on. It's a really great way to cook eggs- they turn out delicious every time. Sometimes I even make some up to keep in the freezer at home. Hope you try it!
MarjorieMargarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #9  
Swim for your life!

S/C/G: 294/179/154

Height: 5'6"

Kashi Bars!!
Bridgettedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

If you're bringing a propane stove or will have electric for a kettle or be cooking over a fire (how else will you get your morning tea or coffee?!), then instant oatmeal should be no problem. It's a great camping food since it's so quick to make.

Are you car, camper, or wilderness camping?

For the cooler, freeze as much of the food you're bringing as you can (eg. any meat should start out frozen except for maybe the first night's meal). At minimum, refrigerate any food or drinks that you're going to be packing in the cooler so that it starts out cold inside. Big blocks of ice last longer than cubes.

Cheese would probably keep well in the cooler. When I did 10 day canoe trips, we didn't have coolers, but we still brought hard cheddar cheese, wrapped in cheesecloth that had been soaked in vinegar (and wrung out lightly) first. The cheese kind of de-ages over time, but it keeps fine.

Last edited by Only Me; 06-04-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #11  
Raw Ramp

S/C/G: 205/164/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracesmomma View Post
Do y'all think that the cheese and yogurt and stuff will keep in ice?
Yep! In my experience, ice packs and loose ice can keep things at safe temps for 3-4 days. Just keep your cooler out of direct sun and don't keep it in the car. Under a picnic table or large shady tree is the best. Watch out for sneaky animals like raccoons, you might want to put a heavy rock on top or get a cooler with handles that lock the lid in place. Also, as ice melts it can get messy so be sure to put things that may get soggy into plastic baggies.

One thing I like to do is make soup ahead of time and freeze it in a ziploc or tupperware. This helps keep the cooler cold, and you only have to heat it up in a pan. Of course, depending on where you're going it might be too hot out for soup

As far as breakfast goes, I usually have hard boiled eggs ready too - love the frozen egg omelet in a bag idea! You could bring some vanilla almond milk and some berries, then mix them in a bowl with loose granola - one of my favorite camping breakfasts. Have fun!
redvelouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjorieMargarine View Post
This is my favorite camping breakfast: Ziplock omelets!

Take scrambled raw eggs/eggwhites/eggbeaters and put in ziplock bag. Add veggies/cheese/meat/seasonings. Freeze solid. Throw in icechest and take camping. In the morning, bring a pot of water to a boil and throw in egg baggies. About six minutes later, voila! Fluffy, delicious, personal omelets you can just dump out of the baggie and onto a plate. I've used them as far as two days after leaving home, though I think the third day might be pushing it unless you have a pretty solid ice chest situation going on. It's a really great way to cook eggs- they turn out delicious every time. Sometimes I even make some up to keep in the freezer at home. Hope you try it!
BRILLIANT!!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #13  
It's a beautiful day

S/C/G: 235/209/165

Ziplock omelettes--great idea!! i am def gonna try these when camping!!
caroline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #14  
present!

S/C/G: 200/174/145

Height: 5'3"

More tips on camping in general. Instead of ice get those rectangular water bottles and pour out a few inches then freeze the bottles. You get long lasting ice blocks with no melted off water issues in your cooler and plenty of drinking water for the last day/ride home.
You can also freeze things like bottled lemonade if it's going to be hot and you can drink it as a slushy.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #15  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Height: 5'7"

Some great suggestions here! I'll add that you should try to pack as much as possible in ziploc bags so when the ice melts you don't get slimy cheese and soggy meats.
mahtha is offline   Reply With Quote