Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172.6/158.8/139

Height: 5'4

Default Summer Frustration! Little rant

Hello!
Hope everyone is having a beautiful sunny day wherever they are.

So I went for a walk with my friend who is probably a size 2-6. She's beautiful and if I could ever be in the same shape as her I would love it! It bothers me so much cause she always says we are the same size, which we are not, I'm like 6 sizes bigger!! And so on the walk i mentioned how when summer time comes along for me it gets hard (emotionally, physically) to wear shorts as it is embarrassing for me. My legs have always rubbed together..something I wish I could change and so my shorts are constantly riding up my legs. I've always had bigger legs as I've always been athletic andhave more muscle tone with extra fat overtop lol.

Anyway, I was just very sad today because this is the first time I've worn shorts in a year and I feel so uncomfortable. And to top it off my mom comes home with a new pair of shorts for me (thank you mom) but they are the biggest size I've had to wear yet and not the style I want I just want to wear shorts and feel sexy and confident!

I'm just so frustrated with myself that I let myself get to a place where I am always uncomfortable with my body. I want to find a exercise plan that will melt my thighs
withinmygrasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/222/150

Height: 5'8"

I completely understand your frustration. I am way too self-loathing right now to wear shorts or short-sleeved shirts. However, even though I don't follow this advice, I'm going to give you some.

Don't be afraid to wear whatever you want. You are barely overweight, and I am sure that you think that you look much bigger than you actually do. There is no reason to punish yourself, or feel embarrased to wear shorts if it is hot outside. You don't have to 'suffer' for your weight. Believe me, that is a dangerous path of thought to follow, and you should try your best to shake it if you can.

On the subject of spot-reduction, unfortunately there is no type of exercise that will immediately remove fat from your thighs. Your body will lost weight from different areas depending on how it stores that weight to begin with, and spot reduction is a myth. Now, trying to build up muscle in your legs could help make them more firm, but once again, unfortunately spot-reduction just doesn't happen. : C Just stick to a healthy eating plan and exercise, before you know it you will have the sexy legs you always dreamed of.
AbstractSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #3  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I remember those days when I couldn't wear shorts because they'd ride up. My closet was full of capris and shorts that were cut barely above my knees.

I know how you feel! I know how you feel because I remember those days. And I know how you feel because I had a fat day today. It started great. I looked great. I felt great. Then my husband took a picture of me that wasn't too flattering. The rest of my day, though fun, was tainted, and I felt frumpy, and lumpy and fat and ugly. I kept scanning rooms and comparing myself to the other women there. Yuck. I hate that.

Anyhow, you're at the beginning. Take this and use it to drive you forward. Just make sure that this really is the biggest size you will ever wear. With a little work, you'll feel so much better about yourself by the end of the summer, I'm sure. You're going to get there and I can tell you it will feel so good!

I don't know that there's anything you can do to target and shrink your thighs in particular. However, I notice that people who do yoga are really strong but their muscles aren't really huge. Maybe you could try yoga and stretching exercises along with walking and other exercises. That might help to tone your body without adding bulk.

Last edited by twinieten; 06-03-2012 at 08:55 PM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I can definitely relate. Capris and extra long shorts here. Sucks living in Phoenix and not wearing shorts, but the same happens to me (and has as long as I can remember, even at my lowest weight of 143 6 years ago). I hope to be able to wear shorts one day. Maybe I'll start wearing skirts!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/193.2/155

Height: 5'8

I completely understand! I love winter clothes because they cover any extra bulk, but those damn summer outfits! Im not fond of showing my arms, or thighs, and am dreading the day I need to put a bathing suit on.
kristindawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: LW/SW/CW/GW: 107/121/119.4/113

Height: 5'2

I've been a size 14 and a size 2 and my shorts have always ridden up and my thighs have always rubbed together. From this phenomenon, I've learned two things: 1) My weight and my confidence to wear shorts in public have nothing to do with one another. Confidence has to come from the inside. And 2) Body Glide is amazing and makes shorts/skirts SO much more comfortable to wear.

I really hope you're confidence comes to you because you deserve to feel great in all of your clothes.
butterfliesinhereyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Agh, the shorts question!

Mine rubbed together painfully until I was about 140 lbs. Running helped a lot - feeling the muscle and strength increase was incredibly motivating and I think changed my actual gait.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #8  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I simply don't wear shorts. I've never liked them and don't find they suit most people anyway. They're such a difficult item to wear and look right in for most body types that I don't think you should beat yourself up that hard because you don't like the way you look in shorts specifically.

Depending on your body type, it may be difficult to ever have an easy time with shorts unless you get your weight pretty low. If that's your goal, don't give up. But don't also let shorts define your self-esteem or progress. Remember they're a tough item for most people, kinda like bathing suits.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

You can rock shorts if you want to, you just have to be confident in your decision. If you decide to wear shorts and feel awkward in them, you're going to look awkward.

My thighs rub and I've got a whole mess of cellulite but I still wear shorts. It's freaking hot, damn it! I deserve to be cool in the hot weather just like anyone else. If someone doesn't think it's appropriate for me to be wearing shorts, well nuts to them. I'm not forcing them to inspect my legs.

As for the thigh rubbing issue, I use deodorant on them. Cuts down on sweat in the hot months and the rubbing doesn't get painful.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 172.6/158.8/139

Height: 5'4

Wow, thank you everyone for your replies. Each one calmed down my anxiety and made me feel better. I hope I can find the confidence within me to be able to be able to wear shorts without being so conscious that I am wearing shorts.

I really do appreciate every reply. It's nice to find somewhere to go to when you're feeling down about health and body issues. And thank you all for all the tips
withinmygrasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #11  

Girl. First of all, you're beautiful. Second of all, shorts are evil. They are just one of those apparel items that taunt those of use who are not designed to wear them. Like skinny jeans. Seriously. Like some other responders said here, I remember when I was younger and MUCH skinnier still complaining about how my shorts rode up when I walked. Capris are my jam. HOWEVER, that being said I just bought a pair of shorts at Old Navy on Saturday. Why did I do that? They look fine when I'm immobile, but I know that the minute I start walking with those puppies on it will just be destruction. Oh well. I guess we are all learning here! Be well!
kk2323 is offline   Reply With Quote