Support Groups - Atheist chicks!

View Full Version : Atheist chicks!

Marchmallow
06-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Since there's a forum for religious people, I thought it would be great if there was one for atheists/anti-theists/humanists too.

So here it is! Introduce yourself, tell us what your weight goal is, and how you're doing it! :D

Astrild
06-22-2012, 06:17 AM
I'm surprised nobody's replied. I call myself a naturalist usually, but that's just cause I'm a hippy.

I'm pretty close to my goal, but kind of trying to maintain where I'm at while slowly losing where I can. These last few are tough, so I can't quite decide what to do. lol Just calorie counting.

Astrild
07-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm seriously curious where all the atheist chicks are. lol Don't pretend you're not out there...!!

Jez
07-08-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm heeere. Anti-theist. My first goal is 139 because low to mid 130s was my normal for most of my adult life. and i realized recently that i havent seen 130anything in 7.5 years. I refuse to let 140+ be my new normal! So, I joined the Halloween challenge and am going to try to get to 139 by then. Im down 4.5, have 26 left. In 16 weeks I think that's very doable, I just have to buckle down and remain consistent. I just got back into weightlifting. I try to follow a mostly primal diet, and I am tracking my food on Fitday. I have had disordered eating issues for over half my life, and in the past few years it has turned more to bingeing than restricting. So, that will be my biggest challenge to keeping myself on track.

Eta: my ticker is currently set to fit my 10 Lbs Before August 1st challenge. I'll update it to the Halloween challenge numbers once the Aug 1 one has passed. I am hoping to blow 10 out of the water this month to get myself ahead of the game for the next 3 months.

Astrild
07-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi Jez! I'm in much the same boat. The 130s were pretty normal for me much of my life, but just keeps creeping up to the upper 140s time and again! I tend to just stop thinking about my weight for a while, and then bam, it blows up again. I also had disordered eating problems for a long time, but have worked through most of it just by doing the right things and changing my mindset. I guess I have somewhat high standards for myself, but nowadays it's more out of personal preference and cause you only live once! :) Good luck!!

Rye
07-11-2012, 12:02 PM
I dont think people are as willing to admit they are atheist as they are to admit they are religious....Its weird really. Ive had other atheists explain themselves as "religiousless" in an attempt to ease their way into saying atheists....
I dont blame them much, people in my town will jump down your throat with all kinds of bulls* if they find out you arent a jesus lover.

Im doing p90x, sadly though ive recently taken a break from it since I hurt myself (a totally unrelated injury cause by a trampoline). I want to get back into it.
I dont really want to focus on weight (thought 56 kilos would be nice haha) so my goal is more of an "appearance" goal. Im not terribly far, but it just seems to be taking for ever you know?

Astrild
07-11-2012, 06:12 PM
That's pretty interesting. I guess where you live can have an impact. This is kind of a quiet sub forum though. I post on another weight loss forum whose atheist thread is always bustling, so I assume there are plenty of us out there.

Atheism's a sharply growing demographic in my age group, so I've never felt worried about being outspoken. The only dissent I've encountered were a couple former friends telling me that they hated atheists. After I embraced atheism however, I don't think their attitudes changed towards me. That kind of thing just makes me want to identify even more openly, because many people just have a negative view of us, whereas I've been told I'm really quite nice. I don't want to fit into their mold of what an atheist is like... I want to change the mold and represent.

My only issue with identifying primarily as 'atheist', while it works for casual conversation, is that it focuses on something I don't believe in...and never even think about. It's like calling myself an a-unicornist. God just isn't a part of my mindset one way or another. Naturalism is 100% me and the way I think, even though they might basically mean the same thing to others.

Rye
07-11-2012, 08:52 PM
You've got a point.
Ive been told that I am "Too nice" to be an atheist. Even my own mother confused it with satanism when I first told her. (on the other hand I've often been surprised when I find out some of my friends are religious. So I suppose I have some pre-notions about religious people as well *.*')
But, just as there are christians giving other christians a bad name, there are 'atheists' giving people horrible ideas about us.

What is the other weight-loss forum you post on?

Jez
07-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Nobody seems to understand what Satanism actually is. I digress...

It'd be nice if people used some sense and realized if I don't believe in your god, I don't believe in your devil.

Astrild
07-14-2012, 08:26 PM
haha yeah... Or the notion that we just hate god. ...I don't believe in god, so how can I hate him/her/it? I guess it can confuse people who have based their entire lives on having a belief system... It actually confuses me that people take it for granted that we're born atheists. I don't see why it's so taboo, or why we have to explain ourselves... and yet they don't have to explain their beliefs.

What is the other weight-loss forum you post on?
I don't know if I can mention other sites...? It's associated with an app... (LoseIt!) There are plenty of overweight atheists in the world. ahha Just not here, apparently... :/

Garnet2727
07-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi all! I just joined this forum and I'm pleased to see a place for atheists. I'm an atheist. The kind of atheist who just flatly states that gods don't exist and I usually refuse to get drawn down the "but you can't know that" rabbit hole. :)

As for my weight loss, I started at 298, I'm currently at 245 and I'm using Weight Watchers Online.

LeilaJey
07-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Saw this the other day - I always liked the idea, you know about how many different gods there are and how many people believe in but I like his attitude, very light hearted.

http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/ricky-ger-ath-quote.jpg

Anyway, hi everyone! I just didn't see this post before and I haven't really looked in this section before, I just happened to see a 'new post'. Glad I found it, I think when I first joined I did a search for Atheism but not much came up.

Nice to meet you all :)

vixxi
07-16-2012, 04:17 PM
I am also an atheist!!! Hoping to get down to the 150's and beyond! I am doing the old Weight Watchers flex plan at home.

Rye
07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
@LeilaJey Wow I love that so much!
But I can see people freaking out on me "NO! I believe in THE GOD!"

Im stealing the picture

GobabyGoGO
07-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Another Anti-theist here. I have lost almost 30lbs by cutting out soda and juice, scaling back on the snacking, and walking a few times a week. I hope to lose another 25lbs by exercising more, eating more fruit and veggies, and just finding a general diet that can work for me in the long run.

Astrild
08-21-2012, 11:20 PM
What do you all think about the gender gap with atheism? I'd never thought about it before, and assumed it would be 50/50 male-female... but apparently not. I wonder if the relative quietness of this thread (as opposed to the other forum I go to) could be because there's mostly women here?

I found a blog (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/11/sex-differences-in-global-atheism-part-n/) that noted the difference between atheist males & females (as of 2010?) and the United States was as follows:

Males: Not Religious 28.9%; Atheist 6.0%

Females: Not Religious: 20.1%; Atheist: 1.2%

:/

Jez
08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Women as a whole are people-pleasers, I think. And are afraid of ruffling feathers or offending people.

theox
08-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I've moved farther away from identifying as an atheist and closer to identifying as an agnostic as I've gotten older. I've also recently developed an interest in Buddhism, but that's another story....

I haven't posted here before because I don't think my lack of belief in the existence of gods or necessity of religion has any direct bearing on my weight loss efforts.

everanderson
08-23-2012, 08:49 PM
another atheist checking in here, from the deep south no less. just found this thread - i'm a creature of habit with forums and just don't branch out often...

Restarting a long journey back down to a healthier weight. Lost about 50 pounds 3 years ago, which very quickly packed back on with new jobs, relocations, marriage, etc.

astrild - hadn't thought about a gender gap. in my area you are hard pressed to find another like-minded person, male or female. but I don't socialize much outside of work, and discussing such things is a little awkward for some in that type of environment.

in general, religion is such a non-issue in my world. fun fact, i only found out about a year ago that my mom was atheist!

coolacrity
08-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Hey all. :) I've been introducing myself and things in a few places around the forum, but I'd be happy to post a little something here, too. I'm glad I found this thread!

I am a straight-up atheist. And I've worked my butt off to...work some of my butt off. Eighty-five pounds to be exact. And I'm not gonna let myself down this time! I'm in it to win it!

@Astrild I think that there are many more female atheists out there, but not as many that are willing to be public about it (sadly, I am one in that number, due to several factors) as men are. However, when they are out and are an activist, they get stuff done!

Quantum Sheep
09-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Another atheist here. Doesn't look like this thread sees much traffic though.

my2cats
10-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Hey folks - just thought I'd join in. I'm also an atheist, although as some have mentioned above I don't bring it up usually. And you better believe if a stranger asks about my religion I'm going to say something like "Well, my family is blah blah blah" and just leave it at that.

Even my parents don't know - and they would flip, I am sure. Really only close friends would know, I suppose. I'm always wary of how it will affect my job and career since many of my coworkers are religious (my former boss, really nice guy, was also a super extreme right-wing Christian. Birther, etc. I was afraid for him to find out, because I wasn't sure 3 years of history between us would overcome his very real prejudices against the 'war on Christianity'.) (That said.. my current boss is also very Christian, but I think he knows and doesn't care, which means a lot to me and just makes me respect him more.)

Anyway enough chit chat - I don't know how much I'll post on here since I really don't care that much about atheism (I'm one, it is what it is, I'm not going to argue with anyone about it as I just don't care enough). But, we're around even if we're not vocal. :)

pluckypear
11-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Atheist here. Yes not always something that is well viewed.:) I used to be a born again christian in my twenties.

I have a lot of weight to lose and will take all the support I can get.

As an aside I really like the way Richard Dawkins writes and his theories are logical to me.

kisskiss
11-08-2012, 12:00 PM
hey all,
I'm more agnostic leaning towards atheism, but figured I'd say Hello :)

kisskiss
11-08-2012, 12:03 PM
I am exactly the same way. A lot of people just don't understand atheism and it does kind of have a stigma attached to it. I think there is more of us out there, but probably not many want to put that out there. and yes, I avoid religious topics at family gatherings. People get too emotional about some stuff, and I don't need the drama...

Hey folks - just thought I'd join in. I'm also an atheist, although as some have mentioned above I don't bring it up usually. And you better believe if a stranger asks about my religion I'm going to say something like "Well, my family is blah blah blah" and just leave it at that.

Even my parents don't know - and they would flip, I am sure. Really only close friends would know, I suppose. I'm always wary of how it will affect my job and career since many of my coworkers are religious (my former boss, really nice guy, was also a super extreme right-wing Christian. Birther, etc. I was afraid for him to find out, because I wasn't sure 3 years of history between us would overcome his very real prejudices against the 'war on Christianity'.) (That said.. my current boss is also very Christian, but I think he knows and doesn't care, which means a lot to me and just makes me respect him more.)

Anyway enough chit chat - I don't know how much I'll post on here since I really don't care that much about atheism (I'm one, it is what it is, I'm not going to argue with anyone about it as I just don't care enough). But, we're around even if we're not vocal. :)

ChickieBoom
12-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I identify as agnostic as well. I find that people prefer you to identify as either religious or atheist. It really seems to bother people that I won't flatly state that there is no God or that there is. I was raised as a Baptist so maybe that has something to do with it.

the shiv
12-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi, another agnostic here :) I think of myself as agnostic because how on earth could I know if there is a god or not? I just don't think I'm that smart ;)

I'm also new to the forum, at 212lbs looking to lose exactly 100 through intuitive eating & finding exercise I enjoy. I've been walking to my gym and back every day this week, and when I've got enough money and am in the habit of going there, I will go in!

Lovely to meet you all :)

Streudel
01-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Hi All,

I identify as an atheist, though I do use agnostic pretty interchangably. I'm doing Weight Watchers this go-round.

Tenoreo90
01-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Hey there! I'm an Atheist in the Bible Belt-anyone else feeling my pain? I used to be a very, very strong Christian, but once I started opening my mind up to the knowledge of the world, I found myself completely incapable of believing anymore.

As for my weight lost I've lost 20 lbs. so far, took a lot of time off, but I'm ready to get back in the game and lose the rest of the weight.

Garnet2727
01-07-2013, 01:43 PM
I was born in Oklahoma and most of my family still lives there. I feel your pain every time I visit. :)

fitwayoflife
01-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Agnostic here.

berryblondeboys
01-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Humanist, atheist, free-thinker, whatever you want to call me - that's what I am.

I'm also a sunday school director for a humanist/free-thinking Ethical Society.

emmablack
01-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Hi everyone! I am SOOOO happy to have found this thread! I am a very upfront Atheist. I am currently getting my Ph.D in Molecular and Cellular Medicine and so I try to "push" my science on anyone who will listen, lol!

I am also trying to lose around 60 pounds. Since I started Grad school (3 years ago) I have gained 45 pounds at least. I am really happy to find this group! Let's keep it up people (weight loss and Atheism!)

merilung
01-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Atheist/Anti-theist here! Husband and I are both non-believers and are fairly active in atheist/sceptic circles. We love mythology, ritual, and community, though, and I sometimes miss going to UU church (my Mom and I attended one together when I was a teenager). We've mulled over trying out a local Episcopalian church that's VERY socially progressive (admittedly we've considered this in part to seem more 'normal' during our adoption homestudies) but we're both pretty iffy about it at this point as we absolutely are not Christians by any stretch of the imagination.

On a side note, berryblondeboys, being the sunday school director for the Ethical Society sounds awesome! How fun! We have an Ethical Society here in Saint Louis but I've never been - I'm so lazy about travelling across town!

Nerdlass
02-04-2013, 04:40 AM
Hi, all. :> I'm a pantheist/atheist. I attribute my woo-ey feelings to something that's tangible: the universe! LOL Something so vast and unimaginable, the size being beyond comprehension? Pretty awesome stuff. But no supernatural, no deity, unless it just someday pops up to say 'howdy.' Nature's pretty super as is, I think.

Anyway... Good to know I'm not alone here. Nice to meet y'all!

pluckypear
02-27-2013, 06:51 PM
I recently tried a UU church because I read atheists sometimes attend and the precepts are set on values not beliefs. But it was still churchy in the not good way. Hard to describe. But on the plus side they are engaged in a lot of social justice work and I did not hear the word god once. But I will seek my sense of community elsewhere.

I will look into an ethical society.

MrsYoung0601
03-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Hey, fellow atheist here! I'm doing WW points plus, and trying to do some exercise at least every other day...

I am so glad this thread is here, even if it doesn't get as much traffic as others. My mother thinks I am destined for ****... I find it hilarious. I used to be a SUPER conservative christian (like, if I wasn't a christian, who was?), so it took a lot of deep thinking to say "oh my god there is no god". But now I am so sure that there is not, the remoteness of any possibilty otherwse is so insignificant that I wouldn't even consider agnosticism for a second.

My kids are being raised to be logical people, and are not being exposed to the bible or any other religion. They are not allowed to go to church, even with a friend or their grandmother. It may seem harsh, but I am not trying to raise my kids to be so open minded that their brains fall out.

It's pretty lonely, being a black female atheist. It's kind of sad, really, how african americans (and other minority groups) cling so fervently to religion and can't be convinced to even consider anything else.

Anyway, glad to be here...

pluckypear
03-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Young if I had children I would be the same way. :) I used to be a born again christian and also came to atheism in a very logical way. Reading Dawkins " god delusion" was helpful. I already had the inklings but nice to be able to phrase it scientifically.

AnnaKarenina
07-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Hello all.

I'm an atheist, and have hit a wall in the 12 step rooms with all the god talk / religious dogma, especially how it permeates the literature. Looking for some like minded people who need recovery from food / sugar addiction who can share in the journey. Anyone still around?

Mrs Snark
07-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Hey there AnnaKarenina, welcome! It looks like this thread is pretty quiet. I just so happen to be an atheist as well, you could come over into the Chicks in Control forum where there is a Food Addiction thread that doesn't have any religious overtones. :)

Here is a link Food Addicts Support (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-control/298046-food-addicts-support.html)

kurisitaru
07-30-2014, 02:43 PM
This thread certainly doesn't get a lot of traffic. Been dead for a while. I think it has a lot to do with what some of the posters said above about how atheists are treated, as well as we don't really need our lack of religion as a motivation to lose weight. I don't pray to a deity to help me gather strength for a run, I know it's all me baby and when I run a 5K, I did that. Me, my effort, and that feels FAR more amazing than imagining some thing helping me along. I would also find it selfish asking for help with a run if there was a God or Gods, because I'd much rather them direct their efforts to starving children then me shaking a pound off. Maybe that's just me.

I also think atheists do have a bad rap. There have been multiple surveys done in areas that ask about trusting people. The people decide that the "non-trustworthy" ones are usually Atheists. In fact, more people would trust a convicted felon than a declared atheists in some locations. Will M. Gervais, Azim F. Shariff, and Ara Norenzayan, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology ("Do You Believe in Atheists? Distrust Is Central to Anti-Atheist Prejudice") once which basically had one of the guys filmed coming into a school, hitting a car with his car, pretending to write down his insurance information for bystanders and then driving off after leaving a blank note on the car. Later he's seen taking money out of someone's wallet. The students surveyed were asked if they believed the unethical man in the video was a "Teacher" or a "Teacher and something else." Basically, if you think they are something else, it would show your prejudice against that something else. Like, if you think someone is a Teacher AND a biker in order to be unethical, you would think that bikers are generally unethical. Most people chose a "Teacher and an Atheist." I think 48% or something. Next in line were "Teacher and a Rapist" Like 46%. Muslim in third, and Christian were a whopping 4%. In other words, most people would think that to do unethical things, one would need to be an atheist first, worse than being a rapist by a small margin.

Many of these studies have been done and it's usually the same conclusion. Atheists are not trusted by the vast majority of society, in fact, we are often less trusted than convicted felons. Yeah, we are weary of mentioning we are atheists in most situations. It's also not true that Atheists are more untrustworthy in normal situations. Those stats have been shown as well. In shear numbers more than likely a crime committed is a Christian, but that's not saying ALL Christians commit crimes. I don't instantly point the finger because someone is in a group of people of color, faith, ethnic background, or Gender. I might be a little more willing if you chose to be in a gang or something, as statistically speaking those people DO commit crimes.

I digress a tad.

Anyway, I think most people don't step forward as Atheist in a weight loss forum because we generally don't need support as Atheist for weight loss, and it's possible we don't step forward because of the instant distrust others give us for simply not believing in their God or Gods.