PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support - 2012 June PCOS Support Thread

View Full Version : 2012 June PCOS Support Thread

astrophe
06-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Let's hear it for those here in June! :carrot:

Let's round up! (The old May2012 thread is here. (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/258093-2012-may-pcos-support-thread-2.html) )

Who is here this month?
How are you?
How was last month?
How is your PCOS management last month?
What are you going to work on in May?

A.

t0rn
06-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Who is here this month? It is I, Gina, again. I'm always randomly popping up. I was around towards the end of last month, but didn't want to jump into the middle of the last thread.

How are you? Honestly, I'm well. I've been wanting to go to college since I was about 10/11, and I finally went this past January. I'm not going over the summer, but I start semester 2 in the Fall. :)

How was last month? Last month was great! Finished ^the first semester with some pretty great grades, and finally got back on the weight loss wagon.

How is your PCOS management last month? I finally started trying to take care of it again. I started back on metformin. Also, I haven't seen my endocrinologist since October 2010, so I FINALLY made an appointment to see her. However, I'm not getting in there til early/mid July. I've been wanting to go back for a while, but was a little embarrassed since I hadn't lost any weight and went off the metformin.

What are you going to work on in June? I will be working on losing weight. I want to stick to an exercise plan, try to remain within 1500-1700 calories, and avoid pasta, potatoes, and bread for the most part. I want to stick to taking the metformin as well. I'm hoping to be at least 10 pounds lighter by the time I meet with endo.

Hopefully it's a happy June for all of us. I'm also hoping I can stick to my plan throughout the month. I have a bad habit of letting my emotions get the better of me and giving in. I'd like to say it's different this time around, but I tend to say that every time. Here's hoping, though. :)

MrsH2132012
06-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Who is here this month? MrsH aka Sylvia, sponging up all kinds of weight training and calorie knowledge.

How are you?
I'm good just dealing with alot of new meds (anyone see my pity party thread? wow lol) but feeling good & no weight gain just slow loss but loss is a loss 

How was last month?
Great! Ordered our son's 1st Birthday invites and Grama picked a 5ft tall piņata in Mexicali! We're doing his room theme of Mario Brothers!!

Ok but June will be better

What are you going to work on in June?
Working out!! I set a goal of 1,260 mins and hope to meet it while dropping 10lbs 

Rana
06-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Who is here this month?

I am! This month for a little bit before I head out for more travel at the end of the month... enjoy while I'm here!!!!! :D

How are you?

Struggling to get back on track. Maybe it's a little de-motivation, but it's also that I've been sick for about 10 days now and that affects my ability to work out and eat healthy (no energy to go work out and no energy to cook meals for myself...)

How was last month?

To be honest? Terrible. I've gained like 2-3 lbs and this is driving me nuts. I can't keep gaining weight. In part it's the travel and the sickness, but still... It takes me so long to get weight off that sliding back, even if it's for "good" reasons is not good.

This part is good! I'm taking my supplements and eating low crappy carbs. Sadly, I've discovered that drinking a glass of wine lowers my blood sugar... I am not using this as a way to self-medicate my blood sugar levels, but it did "help" on some nights when I knew it was going to be on the high side if I didn't have that glass of wine...

But, really, if I am gaining weight, then my PCOS management isn't going that well, right?

I'm a little frustrated, don't mind me.
What are you going to work on in May?

astrophe
06-03-2012, 11:46 PM
T0rn -- welcome back! And pop in ANY time. There's no worry about fading in an out. Life gets busy. It happens! :)

MrsH2132012 -- Hang in there with the new meds! Glad you are feeling good!

Rana -- our resident jet setter! ;) Sorry you have been ill. Hope that passes soon!

My Check In:

It's been SO busy around here! Eldercare continues for my dad and my FIL broke his back so it's been a flurry of hospital.

But I'm doing GREAT! My own life is calmer, there's schedules now, my sister even commented on how she's enjoying medicated STABLE Dad much more and it has been YEARS since she enjoyed Dad. I hired two friends for PT house help so my own home is no longer neglected and crazy and I feel the improvement already. One is helping me deal with closet clutter and the other is doing small repair work my spouse has no time to do any more -- but the honey do list is getting done so yay!

My PCOS endoc visit went ok -- I took a short break to reconnect with spouse and be all date-y woo-y and now that we're home I can face my next chunk of PCOS diet-fitness and see how well I do at my next appt in August.

So go me! :cheer:

A.

Rana
06-04-2012, 01:44 PM
YAY for you, astrophe.

My boyfriend asked me for the one thing that is extremely difficult to give him -- not a threesome -- but to lose the 10 lbs that I need to lose in order to get one of my prizes.... which is a trip together. That I can't make, according to our agreement from a couple of years ago, unless I lose those last ten pounds....

*sigh*

And he wants it as a birthday present.

astrophe
06-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Odd. Can't you renegotiate the contract? Like...

"Take a trip to Mexico (ie: somewhere ELSE) but save the Hawaii one for the -10 lbs woohoo?"

DH and I make contracts for things but are open to negotiation because Life Is.

Boy, did last year with my dad's health probs EVER teach me that!

A.

Rana
06-04-2012, 04:34 PM
No.... I can't renegotiate... I mean, sure, we have traveled to OTHER places... we just haven't gone on this one, because it's exclusively for the 10 lb loss.

The thing is, how long have I been here trying to get these last few pounds off?!

Too long. No excuses. I can use the PCOS to account for slow weight loss... but the scale has been going up, rather than down. I can't deny that I've gotten slack, that even if I am eating nutritious food (I'm snacking on a mozzarella stick and 1/2 apple right now), I'm still obviously eating too much (you can tell from the exercise minutes thread that I clearly exercise enough!).

I don't know what's wrong with me. I think part of the issue that I do get tired of being so vigilant about portions... like with anyone here, it's that diet fatigue... I can't focus and do other stuff because all my extra time and energy is focused on this diet/exercise/losing weight.

The reality is that I have to watch what I eat. I am NOT one of those people who "forgets" to eat!

astrophe
06-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Ah, then if you have already been traveling and just saving this one special place (and not like putting off living your life) -- go for it!

I def understand the diet fatigue. But I'm buckling down again myself.

I bought new undies in a size smaller -- that was fun and remotivating! Yay, NSV!

A.

t0rn
06-06-2012, 04:54 PM
MrsH- Yay for Mario Brothers! Happy First Birthday to him! Good luck on your goals this month :)

Rana - That's a lot of pressure on you. :/ I guess him asking for it as a present is a bit of a motivator for you, but it seems like you try really hard to lose weight as it is.

Astrophe - That's awesome! I'm glad things are going well for you! :) Congrats on the NSV!

Getting bored of 30 Day Shred. I really wanted to stick to it all month, but I may end up switching to something else.

claristotle
06-07-2012, 03:36 AM
Who is here this month?
Clare! I'm completely new to this forum.

How are you?
Doing alright, can't complain too much. Busy with work and reading up on PCOS research articles. I've got a good 50 to read :dizzy:

How was last month?
Quite eventful, in both a good way and a bad way. I learned the hard way that I can't drink like I could when I was younger (curse you, Cinco de Mayo!).

Lazy on my end. I ate what I wanted, rarely worked out. I was better about taking my meds, but that still wasn't up to par. I still haven't received my refill for spironolactone, but it's my fault for doubling my dosage. Unfortunately, toward the end of last month, my hair started falling out at a concerning rate. We'll see if I have hair left by the end of the month lol

Working out...consistently. Five days a week. And my diet. I think I'm going to start the low amylose diet. Has anyone tried it?

PrettyMom09
06-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Who is here this month? I'm still here even though I don't post as often any more.

How are you? I'm doing well. Still trying to find a way to incorporate healthy eating and exercising to the rest of my busy life.

How was last month? Last month went by so fast. It was the last month of school for my kids, so there were a lot of extra activities. I also had to travel for work for almost two weeks, so that shortened the month even more.

How is your PCOS management last month? I had to cancel my visit to the endocrinologist last month because of work, but I do have an appointment for next Monday. I'm still taking Spiro, which is helping a little.

What are you going to work on in June? I am going on vacation next week. When I come back I'm going to look into joining either Physicians Weight Loss or the IP program. I've come to the realization that I need help planning my food intake.

Rana
06-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Hi ladies! Welcome newbies!

Yes, doing the weightloss for my boyfriend is a lot of pressure... part of me thinks I need it, otherwise, I get to complacent with the weight that I'm at right now.... We'll see how it goes. I had a dream the other night that instead of it being June, it was actually November and I was thinking that I had run out of time and I hadn't lost the weight... :(

I think that's why I need the pressure, I can sit here and exercise and eat "healthy" but still not lose.

Yesterday, I had a very high protein day -- by the end of the day, I had gone above my allocated protein in the day (according to MFP) and my carbs were just a few grams under my amount that's allocated -- and my blood sugar level this morning was actually lower than I expected.

I just don't know what to do with this... I don't know if I can eat that much protein in a day (and keep the carbs low) on a regular basis.

2phatinvictoria
06-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Who is here this month? ME i am finally

How are you?
Im going pretty great! three weeks in to my bootcamp and start 2 times a week in july!! Im really starting to get in to working out again\!! and I LOVE bootcamp!! I also just got my got fit arm band and Im so excited to use it!!

How was last month?

Well it was okay.. But This month will be better. My moods are good and im hoping to get another Period on my own!

I took all my vitamins.. but food wise was.. well Womp Womp.. not great.. but im getting better at it

Everything.. I cant wait to be stronger!!

Cemommster
06-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Who is here this month? I am here
How was last month? Better then this month has started, sadly
How is your PCOS management last month? Really good
What are you going to work on in May?Sleep and exercise.

Rana
06-09-2012, 12:02 PM
So, something weird is happening with my foot. I have a toe that's kind of numb, it feels weird. I went to the doctor yesterday and I got three types of diagnosis -- one is related to the whole diabetes/insulin resistance, which is that this is some how related (the numbness with the IR).

*sigh*

The other two are related to nerves, but the doctor said that I should have felt pain when she pressed here and there and the fact that I didn't, means that might not be it (unless my nerve is hidden somewhere else in my foot). The alternative to THAT is that I pinched a nerve in my back that affected my toe (how cool is the human body).

Of course, I want it to be either one of the two, but the first diagnosis is a reminder that having insulin resistance and PCOS can lead to diabetes and diabetes isn't JUST having high blood sugar.

It is also a bunch of other medical related stuff that is concerning, worrisome, and potentially depressing if left unchecked. I really hope it isn't related to that, obviously, but I just have to tell you all -- PLEASE, PLEASE, get healthy.

I didn't do it during my twenties, I just ignored my PCOS and who knows where I would be now if I had paid attention and taken better care of my body... I might have lost all the weight back then, when it was easier, when I had the time and the energy to do it....

I'm still relatively healthy. But I have friends and family who have diabetes and the long-term consequences of not managing it are terrible. It's letting PCOS and the IR (if you have it) lead to diabetes! It's not the early deaths that should scare you -- it's NOT dying, but having your toes or foot amputated because you haven't managed your blood sugar levels.

Sorry to be so depressing this morning. But it's annoying.

And keep your fingers crossed it's just a pinched nerve or inflamed nerve in my foot!!!!!!!

2phatinvictoria
06-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Rana- So sorry to hear about the toe numbness, Actually its like a light went off when i read your post.. When i was at my fittest 3 years ago (170lbs) when i would run my toes would actually go numb and tingly i never really thought about it...if it happens to me again ill be sure to go to the doctor... i hope its just a pinched nerve this pcos/ir stuff stinks

Kierra
06-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Who is here this month? me

How are you? ok but tired
How was last month? I lost 13 pounds :)
How is your PCOS management last month? I finally saw at least my pcp and started back on metformin. Also saw my gynecologist and had a yeast infection and bacterial infection that have plagued me for 18 months treated. My husband is appreciating the improved sex life now that my lady parts feel normal and aren't itchy.
What are you going to work on in June? Lose more weight.

astrophe
06-12-2012, 10:40 PM
t0rn -- I've seen it, but 30 Day shred is too advanced for me. I'm beginner/intermediate on DVDs still. And with kid at home on summer break, it's all about fitbit and steps clocked.
I do like Kelly Coffey (http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=instructor&search=Kelly%20Coffey-Meyer&setup=yes)-- tried her dvds?

claristotle -- welcome! Good for you reading. And don't hesitate to adapt the goal if 5 is too much to start -- 3 then 4, then 5 is fine too. You work that PCOS show and own it! :)

PrettyMom09 -- How was the endoc? Updates on the diet front since you were joining formal programs?

Rana -- Sounds like you are experimenting. Keep trying! How's the foot nerve? I've been having some nerve things in my wrist but I think it's related to PMS bloat affecting circulation -- fact of obesity. Sigh.

2phatinvictoria -- glad you are enjoying boot camp! Toe numb in running usually relates to having wrong shoes. I take a size larger in my sneaks than my street shoes. I need a wide toe box.

Cemommster -- sleep is soooo important! I've made my bedroom #1 on my hit list. Daily tidy, clean bedding, the whole deal. DH is also enjoying having a "sanctuary" in the chaos of family life. How's your bedroom? And you sleep?

Kierra -- Glad you saw your doc and the lady parts are doing well! The yeast thing is chronic for those with IR/prediabetes/diabetes -- might want to think about reducing the yeast happy foods -- sugar, starces, etc.

More in a sec... kid is hollering... :)

A.

astrophe
06-12-2012, 10:52 PM
My Check In:

I'm doing really well for mind/heart/soul buckets. And actually not bad in the body bucket either -- just not quite in the groove for losing the next 20 lbs. Which I want to be in.

I'm still only a few days into summer break and kid and I are trying to find our summer schedule for bedtime/awake and then her activities so I can fit my needs in there too. We're trying to get in some pool time and bowling time so I'm getting fitness and she's getting play and my main deal is remember to wear my fitbit because counting and improving my daily steps over summer seems like an easier deal than trying to clock minutes at gym or on DVD workouts.

A.

PrettyMom09
06-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Astrophe - My visit to the endo was not very enlightening. She said all my problems are because I'm fat and once I lose the weight, I will be normal. I know the extra weight makes my PCOS worse, but I had PCOS when I was at a normal weight. I told her this, but she insisted that if I lose weight, my periods will be regular and the facial hair will go away. She agreed to give me an appetite suppressant for 3 months to help with the weight problem. Also, she doubled my Spiro doesage. She thought I was already taking the Spiro twice a day, but she had only prescribed one per day last time I saw her. She said she does not need to see me until 6 months. I'm thinking I'll probably go see her in 3 months to make sure the meds are working. 6 months seems like a long time.

I'm still on the fence regarding joining a formal weight loss program. I keep thinking that I should be able to lose weight on my own. I'm thinking maybe a visit to a nutritionist would be a better option.

astrophe
06-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Hrm. I see my endoc 3-4 mos and get labs run 2 weeks before the appt.

Unfortunately my endoc is not well versed in PCOS nutrition. She is willing to listen though and prescribed Phentermine when I tried for a year plus with no significant changes. Fighting the night hunger thing was just killing my efforts.

A short run of that did help get me over that hump and my cravings are settled down to where I don't take it any more.

But for the actual nutrition advice I got the most out of The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertility

http://books.google.com/books?id=2bpWLux--uwC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

I've also been trying to get better organized and think about an online consult with PCOS nutritionist here. http://www.pcosnutrition.com/

I've got her books and she also seems more knowing -- I've been to dietitians in the past who don't really have a handle on PCOS. Diabetic dietitian is the closest I could get to.

HTH!
A.

GuiriGirl
06-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Who is here this month?
Hi! I'm new to 3FC. I'm Jessica, nice to meet you all!

How are you?
Pretty stressed (isn't that the usual for women these days?)

How was last month?
The past 10 months have been a whirlwind and I've had very little control over my schedule. I've felt guilty for not making it work (getting up for boot camp at 6 am for example), but I'm trying to look forward. Trying to add more workouts into my week.

OK, though I have been a little bit on edge lately, probably because of the stress but also could be hormonal.

I'm trying to eat a more balanced diet and avoid over-eating carbs (they put me in a sort of coma, I assume this happens to other PCOS ladies??)

Excited to be part of the forum! Good luck to everyone this month!

PrettyMom09
06-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Astrophe - Did you have any unpleasant side effects with the Phentermine? That is what my endo prescribed, but I'm a little afraid of taking it. I'm afraid that I will be super hungry once I stop taking it.

Thanks for the info on the nutritionist!

claristotle
06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
claristotle -- welcome! Good for you reading. And don't hesitate to adapt the goal if 5 is too much to start -- 3 then 4, then 5 is fine too. You work that PCOS show and own it! :)

Very true...but I keep discovering more and more interesting research articles every week! I just got done reading Dr. Shoemaker's book Lose the Weight You Hate. Very interesting. I've already lost 3 pounds in 3 days with his diet regimen (meh, it's probably water weight, but I don't care! I'll take what I can get! lol). There was one research article I have to find again because it sounded absolutely crazy. It was talking about how bacterial/viral infections (or too much bad flora in your body) induces PCOS and treating that will do away with a lot of the complications.

PghGal
06-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Welcome Newbies :)

I know I'm late to the party this month, but I am here. My job has been insane over the last couple of months to the point where I'm putting in 60+ hours weekly. It's taken a real toll on my gym time and the "me" time that I need in order to stay focused and motivated w/regard to my health.

I had this epiphany the other night as I was finishing up work at 7:30 PM ... I really am at the point where I need to take care of ME. I stopped going to the gym over the month of May because I was exhausted from my job and things going on in my personal life. I thought I was cutting myself some slack.

But truth be told, I did myself no favors. I have to keep telling myself repeatedly that I AM IMPORTANT ENOUGH to set aside ME time. As someone who suffers from chronic lack of self-esteem (a large part of it due to my weight), I am learning to be more confident and assertive in my own skin. I'm determined to make my 30s a new chapter in my life. A clean slate. Anyway, I need to make myself a priority. Period. This means taking the time to compose a thorough grocery list, going to the gym, getting in a good place mentally/spiritually/emotionally, taking the time to cook good food vs. ordering takeout, etc.

Sorry for rambling but that's what's been going on with me. :) This journey is far from over for me, but I feel I've already come so far. I'm scared sometimes that I will let it slip away and revert back to the "old" version of myself. Anyway, my point is that we all need to keep reminding ourselves that we are worth it & we need to make our health a priority!!

Ahem, that's all now. Carry on. :D

astrophe
06-13-2012, 11:06 PM
GuiriGirl: Welcome! Hope you can get the stress thing down. Yes, too many bready things get me sleepy. I rather save it for the night meal then the sleepy is what I WANT near bedtime.

PrettyMom09: I've never taken it before in my life so I was nervous about it too and put it off and put it off. But I finally had to suck it up and accept that not using a tool because of fear is silly. A whole pill made me feel nervous and jittery, so I called her up and she cranked me down to 1/2 pill. That was the only thing and once I toned it down to 1/2 pill I was no longer jittery.

I took it daily til the crazy craving thing settled, then I started taking it just when I felt like the night craving thing was coming back. By the time I saw her in person again at my next check up (we'd agreed on a short run of it just to the next appt)... I was down enough weight that I wasn't experiencing the crazy craving thing at night any more and was sleeping THROUGH the night.

She told me I was fine and now I'm trying this next 20 lb block without it.

It's not a magic pill and it won't work for all but for me it helped get me back to a place where I felt like I could DO it and not be fighting my own body. I'm guessing the lost weight and Metformin is further helping to crank that crazy IR hunger down to something I can deal with and not be driven nuts by it.

claristotle: Was it on yeast? So interesting...

PghGal: I'm with you! "Me" time is not being selfish -- it is self care and maintanence! Hope the work schedule settles down some for you!

My Check In:

This morning I went to my monthly massage appt. I missed the last two months or so but I wanted to get back to it. DH missed too but he told me not to wait and just get mine. I'm going to try to sched his in before the month is out. (We started doing this for stress with all the eldercare wacky last fall. )

Then I came home and kid had a friend over. I tackled laundry and my crazy living room boxes and cleared out 4! Go me! The kids played in the yard with the sprinkler and had a nice time.

I ended up crashing on the couch after dinner and just did a quick Wii Workout. ANYTHING goes in summer, right? I just want to nail it before midnight. I'm also trying to track fitbit steps.

A.

Rana
06-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Hello everyone!

Just a quick comment to see if anyone here has seen this before and I may post it in the other general boards to see if they have...

Anyway, yesterday was a weird day for food. Boyfriend wanted to make pancakes from scratch (no mix in the house, since I don't do a lot of processed foods). So, we found a recipe online, made them, I ate three and the result was that I was full all morning... through lunch... through the early afternoon... when I finally decided to eat string cheese. So, I did.

But I was eating it out of habit, not because I really wanted it or was hungry. Okay, no problem. Skipped lunch entirely. Around 4:30ish, I ate the fruit I had brought with me. I had eaten some caramels throughout the day -- again, not because I was hungry but in a weird way, I was trying to get my sugar to sky rocket so I could get hungry and eat (weird, I know, but I am so used to getting my three squares and snacks, not being hungry was bizarre).

Anyway, I finally had dinner around 7 PM and I was kind of hungry. Not ravenous. But hungrier than before.

I totally expected my blood sugar level last night to be crazy because of the weight eating patterns and high carbs. It was 88 when I went to sleep, the lowest it's been at night in AGES. So, I figured I would pay for it this morning... and it was 95, which is low for me, since I've been seeing 99 or 102 in the mornings when I eat super healthy!

What is going on? why would it be so low on a day I do NOT exercise and I eat weird? Does anyone know?

I don't want to keep trying because I know I was over my calories because of the dinner (I went out with the boyfriend to a nice restaurant).

I didn't drink wine, which lowers my blood sugar levels. No alcohol at all.

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is that maybe by only have two real meals a day I managed my blood sugar levels better than when I eat and graze all day...?

claristotle
06-14-2012, 10:45 AM
claristotle: Was it on yeast? So interesting...

It's actually about gram-negative bacteria (yeast is gram positive). The paper talks about how eating a poor diet (high in fat and sugar, low in fiber) causes disturbances in the bowel flora, called "Dysbiosis of Gut Microbia." This causes problems with the protective mucous lining we have, and it can actually allow gram negative bacteria into our bodies and start circulating! The immune system then gets involved, which messes up insulin receptors, and presto! The chain reaction of PCOS symptoms start occurring! The paper says this can account for the three main issues of PCOS (irregular menstruations, hyperandrogenism, presence of ovarian cysts). Crazy! :dizzy:

nina125
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't yeast a fungi and not bacteria?

claristotle
06-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't yeast a fungi and not bacteria?

You are correct. Gram negative/positive deals with the characteristics of a cell wall, mostly in bacteria, but can characterize molds and fungi as well.

Rana -- what were in those delicious, filling pancakes?!

GuiriGirl
06-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Astrophe - Did you have any unpleasant side effects with the Phentermine? That is what my endo prescribed, but I'm a little afraid of taking it. I'm afraid that I will be super hungry once I stop taking it.

Thanks for the info on the nutritionist!

Hey pretty mom!

I took phentermine and it was great, BUT I couldn't sleep. I would feel energetic during the day, I didn't have the PCOS cravings and I had some incredible workouts at the gym... but even after reducing my dose, taking half a pill, I still couldn't sleep and went off it.

I think astrophe describes it well, it can certainly get you started, but you'll have to wane yourself off of it and then go at it on your own (when you feel comfortable).

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!!

xx jess

Kierra
06-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Kierra -- Glad you saw your doc and the lady parts are doing well! The yeast thing is chronic for those with IR/prediabetes/diabetes -- might want to think about reducing the yeast happy foods -- sugar, starces, etc.

Yes, I am on a low carb plan and not eating any yeast loving foods like starchy veggies, grains or sugary fruit.

astrophe
06-14-2012, 11:56 PM
RANA:

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is that maybe by only have two real meals a day I managed my blood sugar levels better than when I eat and graze all day...?

Maybe. Or the fact that it was from scratch rather than from a box. I try not to bake at all any more but I know full well that 2 slices of from scratch sandwich bread is WAY more filling that store. Or from scratch pizza crust is way more filling than say, Boboli crust.

I had a nice day, but it was weird with the summer schedule. Kid's all amok with her sleep having a good time staying up late but it is screwing me up for meals (I want to eat WITH her) and for errands and taking my meds and things. I'm going to have to reel her in some and work with it better.

This always happens in summer and it takes me a few weeks to get into "summer mode" with her.

A.

Rana
06-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Rana -- what were in those delicious, filling pancakes?!

Flour (white), 1 egg, baking powder, baking soda, salt, milk, butter, and 1/2 t of brown sugar.

Didn't think it was going to fill me up....

Anyway, yesterday, I tried it again -- two meals, one in the morning, one at night.

My BSL (blood sugar level) was 106 last night, but again, back down to 94 this morning.

The 106 wasn't good... but I expected it to be higher in the morning, again.... and it wasn't!

So...

I'm going to try it again today.

Experiment of 1.

claristotle
06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Those ingredients don't seem super filling, but apparently they are! I'm curious about your experiment today.

Rana
06-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Experiment the next day didn't work as planned. So, the question that I am asking myself is whether I need to be eating more fats in my diet?

On the second day, I had a high carb dinner -- no animal protein, but I did have pinto beans -- and that dinner kept my blood sugar high. But I did skip lunch and had a snack in the late afternoon of a 1/2 apple and cashew butter before dinner.

Again, I don't know if my second meal needs/should have protein too.

Hm.

I'm traveling now, so I won't be able to work on this as much.

PrettyMom09
06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks Astrophe and Guirigirl! I made up my mind to try the pills. The doc prescribed 1 pill a day, but I think I'll start with half a pill since I have trouble sleeping as it is. I'll keep you guys posted.

GuiriGirl
06-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks Astrophe and Guirigirl! I made up my mind to try the pills. The doc prescribed 1 pill a day, but I think I'll start with half a pill since I have trouble sleeping as it is. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sounds great, PrettyMom!

Good Luck! ;)

astrophe
06-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Rana -- Fat takes 7 hrs to digest. Protein and carbs around 4 (according to my dietitian of that time.) So she was big on "mixed meals" where you had a bit of all in each meal so the fat would help it stick to your ribs longer and the protein would chill and balance the carbs. It was basic sound advice and I find it funny years later things like "Flat Belly" diet are going on about MUFAs and whatnot. Basically = pair up a nice fat like nuts or avocado or something in there.

See how it plays out for you. And hope your travels are great! :)

PrettyMom09:

Just take notes, take it easy. Report to your doc if anything is odd.

You might get thirsty. It tasted best to me hidden in a spoon of yogurt. Initially taking it plain made my mouth/tongue all weird numb "YUCK!" feeling. I'm not sure how to describe. It's bitter tasting to me like "ACK! Ugh!"

So I started hiding it in a spoon of yogurt so it's not "touching" my tongue as much. That helped a lot.

Hang in there!

MY CHECK IN:

Had a BIG reaction to my allergy shot last week so they toned my dose down this week. My arm got all puffy red and itchy like crazy -- this time not so much.

Things are chugging along -- enjoying summer bonding with my kid. Enjoying bondy time with my husband.

House declutter is moving slowly, but moving. Wish I could say same for my weight! This block of 20 lbs NOT on phentermine is much slower/harder to move. Sigh. Maybe I still need the help? I have to sit with that. My doc told me to just keep the pills since I never used them all up last time and work it like I need to work it since I did well tapering off.

Dad was ANNOYING today. Ugh!

But I keep telling myself medicated Dad being annoying is still WAY BETTER than unmedicated scary Dad from last fall. He was just acting out today a bit and being a fusspot. Not threatening anyone or throwing things or any of that AGGRESSION stuff. But being all argumentative fussy. Like "No, I don't WANNA!" like a little kid.

But he was a total pain in the butt today so I was relieved to come home after my time over there. Eldercare is mind boggling SO MUCH like toddler parenting.

Only you have the hope the toddler will outgrow their shenanigans whereas a mental patient like Dad is just gonna keep on the decline.

Overall nothing horrible -- he just plumb wore me out running around being him. Sheesh. Mostly mentally -- because I had to NOT REACT to his stupid. I could think it all I wanted to, but in caregiving you don't say it. With a toddler you can LOOK at the person and go "Oh, this is a kid all immature" and that helps diffuse your own inner "yargh!" because what can you do? Kid's a kid.

But when you are looking at an adult that looks normal it is easy to forget they are NOT normal. And we are all processing still I guess that Dad's just not the guy he used to be. Even him in there somewhere has to process that. It is easy to forget he is not Old Dad, he is Patient Dad.

And you WANT to get into it like he's some rational adult person.

Dad: I don't WANNA! WAH!

US: (tempted to say "Whaddaya MEAN you don't wanna? Stop being silly and be a grown up about it!" but can't actually say that) Alright. I hear you do not want to. But this is not a choice. This must be done. AFTER this we can do this that you like, ok? Let's go! Yay!

Round and round. Just like you would a little kid. Oy.

He can't just stop his bratty moments. He isn't a rational adult person any more. Sigh.

I ought to put one of my extra fitbits on HIM to see how much running around he does. LOL. :dizzy:

A.

GuiriGirl
06-22-2012, 06:10 AM
[PrettyMom09:

Just take notes, take it easy. Report to your doc if anything is odd.

You might get thirsty. It tasted best to me hidden in a spoon of yogurt. Initially taking it plain made my mouth/tongue all weird numb "YUCK!" feeling. I'm not sure how to describe. It's bitter tasting to me like "ACK! Ugh!"

So I started hiding it in a spoon of yogurt so it's not "touching" my tongue as much. That helped a lot.

A.

astrophe is 100% correct. The pills taste awful, so never take one without water.

Also, drink A TON of water. I'm talking at least 2L per day. Otherwise, you may get a sort of caffeine jitter. (This can help with the sleeping difficulty as well).

But on the bright side, you will have more energy and you won't have hunger cravings!

GuiriGirl
06-22-2012, 06:32 AM
Astrophe:

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I'm currently working on my PhD in adolescent psych, but I've worked a few years in a geriatric psychiatrist's office, and I've seen how hard it can be on younger relatives.

Have you thought of maybe doing a joint therapy session with your father? For example going together, then separating so that you each have time with the clinician? I've seen this help many families. Also, they might be able to bill your father's medicare insurance instead of your own.

As for your post-phentermine-weight-loss, I know it of feels like you've been unplugged! The worst.

What I did was I bought a mini food processor and started making my own juices. I know this sounds nuts, but the homemade juices really helped me feel more satisfied between meals! I have about 3 ready to go in my fridge at all times. (This may seem impossible with a small child at home, but you can make a bunch at a time and freeze them. They also make great popsicles... could be a fun summer project!)

I also started carrying a bottle of water and peanuts/almonds in my purse Keeps me eating batatas bravas on the regular haha.

Hang in there, astrophe! You're doing a great job!

xx jess

astrophe
06-25-2012, 12:01 PM
GuiriGirl: Thanks for the compassion and kindness. :)

I've offered, but I'm also not going to push it. You have NO idea -- the crazy last fall? I had to go to court to get a judge order so cops would pick up my dad for the 3 day involuntary mental health check. We discovered prostrate probs so they kept him longer -- and part of his dx is anosognosia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosognosia) Where he is ill but cannot and does not even recognize he is ill. So there's no way he'd agree to joint therapy for mental health cuz "what for!? I'm not sick!"

So much drama over the last year leading to it coming to a head and me putting my foot down. The aggression got so crazy that I consulted with my sister and told Mom off and said we'd go to court with or WITHOUT her. (She was frightened and being an obstacle.)

Mom and I have been to caregiver classes, Dad's got his doc line up and therapies which he agrees to go to because he has "stress" -- that bit he will own. You know. Because WE stress HIM out so. (anosognosia again -- he perceives we are different toward him but doesn't get why). So life here is MUCH better, and all are more stable. Still hard, but more stable with dad on meds.

But the rest of the picture he's clueless. Just acts out his frustration and WE know why, but he doesn't know why. So he flails about sometimes. I love him even when he makes me feel crazy. So I will keep caring for him and mom and we're working plan to move him to facility if he's no longer safe at home. Mom's kinda seen the light and is being more real and STOPPED being so obstacle.

Right now he's high functioning -- dress, eat, bathe, do small chores around the house, likes his cat, his TV shows, his music, his books, etc. I'd put him like a 12 year old. Old enough to be trusted with some things, not old enough to drive (we took away the license) and prone to bratty moments like a tween. But really some of his tantrums sometimes devolve into total toddler mode -- forget even the tween mode.

"But whhhhhhyyyy can't I? You are just MEAN!" type. :dizzy:

Oy.

Post phen -- ha! We had the same thought. I've been in smoothie making (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/261090-mix-match-green-smoothie-list.html)world with the vitamix.

I also have a thing of almond/cranberry mix in my purse for back up.

I also talked to a friend IRL who agreed to be my other check in person besides DH because I'm trying to earn a PALA again pedometer style. I'd rather do minutes or miles but formal workouts are unreliable in summer with elder AND kid afoot. Most days I feel like I'm running around after people or running around trying to clean things so my way of "go with the flow" is fine! Count the steps then. How MUCH run around? :D

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

A.

kc82
06-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Hi there - I hope you don't mind me jumping in and joining this group.

My name is Kari, I'm 29 and I was diagnosed with PCOS in August 2006. I was on Metformin for several years and lost weight with it (roughly 50 lbs) however after years of being on it I felt like I needed a break from it (and the side effects). Soon after I started regaining the weight.

This past January I decided to join Weight Watchers and I successfully lost 30 lbs. The last month and a half I have gotten off track, but this past week I have been back on plan and have lost 4.4 lbs. I am now doing Weight Watchers on my own (no meetings or e-tools) and so far so good. :)

astrophe
06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
kc82 -- :welcome2:

And good for you for taking care of you and getting support in the PCOS battle by coming here!

Jump on in! The water's fine! :)

A.

GuiriGirl
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
KC82: Welcome! Good for you for trying Weight Watchers, and 30 pounds! My goodness! Congratulations!!
p.s. when I was diagnosed I also took metformin. It didn't help much, also made my mind kind of fuzzy. probably better to go med-free!! =)

Astrophe: "Crazy" doesn't even begin to cover the year you've had! But hang in there! No family is "normal" and everyone passes through a phase like this at some point or another. Just hold on, prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and try to remember to take care you yourself, not just everyone else!

As for the workouts, I hear you! And I love my pedometer! It's so cool to see how much you move in one day!! The other day I walked 6 miles and didn't even realize it!

As for the smoothies, do you like vitamix? I just make mine with fresh fruit/veggies and occasionally ice or yogurt. (In spain, fruit is much more inexpensive!)

Maybe something fun you could do with your little one is a "mock" olympics! Exercise and entertainment (and then maybe nap time for everyone haha).

GOOD LUCK! I'm always here if you need to talk!

xx gg

astrophe
06-25-2012, 10:59 PM
GuiriGirl: Yup. Eldercare for parents has to come to everyone. Was sorta hoping to be in my 50's rather than 36 for mine but alas alack, Dad's early birdie with his issues.

I'm alright. Learning to manage and scale my expectations of him and myself (in managing my PCOS) to a more doable level. So WHAT if it takes me longer? I'm in it for me! So go me! I might have PCOS but it doesn't have to own me. Nyah! ;)

Vitamix is just a fancy pants blender -- not like an addition to the green smoothie. I like it fine -- I spent years saving up. That sucker mashes stuff up like nobody's business but I have my other blender for lower power uses still.

Had a nicer day today -- initially I wanted to be all "Grrrr! Not getting all i want to get done DONE!" until I realized I wasn't going with the flow.

So I gave it up (that mindset) and approached it more like "find my blessings" mindset and then I could relax and feel good about what DID get done.

One thing I learned last year was being more present in the moment and not rushing onward to future or look backward at past. Just be in the here and now...

Tend to my mind, body, heart, soul buckets better.

And it's bringing me a level of peace I need to keep on keepin' on.

It's actually pretty awesome when I stop to think about it. :)

A.

masondixonmousery
06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi! Brand new to the board...but not to PCOS.

I was diagnosed several years ago after having a heavy period for 5 weeks straight. I weighed 220 at the time. I was given Metforman 500 mgs. I stopped taking it after two months because of the nausia. After losing 20 pounds my period became normal again.
Now I have gained a bit of that weight back and while my periods are still regular, I have increased number of chin hairs (hides). Ugh.
So anyway, I am off to read more about this area in the forum to learn more. Thanks!

astrophe
06-28-2012, 12:38 PM
masondixonmousery : welcome aboard! read all over this area -- lots of good posts. :)

My check in:

Ate clean yesterday, but did not log, but pretty confident in portion correctness

And clocked 9128 steps so pretty close to the 10,000.

I'm not used to flying this loose, but fly I go. It's working the best in summer with kid underfoot. I keep telling myself to roll with the NOW, and then fall will change it up again when school in session so.... there I roll.

DH and I are enjoying a super tight time in our rship -- having a blast rekindling and wooing. Whee. :)

Don't mind it being summer ONE BIT.

Ha! ;)

A.

astrophe
07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Come jump over to a new month! The water's feelin' fine! :D

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/262072-2012-july-pcos-support-thread.html#post4390569