Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #1  
Started IP 09/05/12

S/C/G: 203/160/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Citalopram

Good afternoon!

When I started taking Citalopram (Celexa) 9 months ago, I never thought I would gain weight, as it initially got rid of all my cravings. I thought it was a miracle! Unfortunately, that was pretty short-lived... and I ended up gaining 20 pounds between August 2011 and April 2012. That put me over the 200 lbs mark and it was a slap in the face. I had to do something about it, and in the beginning of May I started Ideal Protein. Having pretty great success with it so far, down 20 lbs (ironically, my Celexa weight gain). I'm also on BCP since April, which is also known to cause weight gain.

I am wondering if the BCP has an impact on my weight loss at all, and I would also appreciate if some people could share their stories of weight loss while on citalopram. The diet is making me horribly anxious and moody, since I no longer have food to fall back on as comfort. And will I lose some weight eventually just by going off citalopram (in 1 year)? If so, that would give me something to look forward to

Looking forward to reading some of your stories!
Kikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've ony been on citalopram a little under three months, but I've been on other antidepressants, and a lot of other drugs that list weight gain as a side effect including birth control and prednisone.

I find that only prednisone causes weight gain independent of calorie intake/expenditure (some drugs make me hungrier, and some drugs make me lazier, but if I continue to count calories, watch my carbs, and exercise I do lose).

With prednisone there's also water weight gain and some metabolic slowing, and hunger so intense I call it "rabid hunger" (which I also call pms hunger, but prednisone hunger is even worse).

I can even lose weight (even slower than my normal super slow pace) on prednisone, if I keep carbs low enough.

For me my reduced-carb exchange plan is the key. If I stick to my food plan, I don't gain and lose consistently (and if I stop losing, which sometimes does happen, then I have to tweak my foodplan, either reducing the calories or the carbs, or sometimes just trading some of my "bread/starch" exchanges for veggie exchanges (for example, I was able to break a plateau by changing my food plan, trading one bread exchange for three veggie exchanges - same approximate number of calories and carbs, but the veggies are digested more slowly - at least that's what I'm guessing).

As for birth control, because of my insane pms and tom hunger, I actually lose weight better on birth control than off. Food planning and journaling are still key though.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #3  
Started IP 09/05/12

Wow, on all those meds and you still lost 105 lbs Thank you for your story, it helps me stay motivated! It made me a little angry that I have to make so many efforts to lose weight I gained in a relatively short time while on that med. It made me a **** of a lot hungrier than I ever was, despite the stories I've read of people who lost weight with antidepressants because it cut down emotional eating... everyone reacts differently I suppose. And I was afraid it would hinder my loss at some point because of slower metabolism or something, as I know Ideal Protein focuses a lot on ketosis and metabolism of stored fat.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #4  

It's ironic that I've been able to succeed (slowly) with all these obstacles (health issue and medication related) when I wasn't able to succeed most of my life (I've been very overweight AND dieting since kindergarten).

The difference is in hunger (low-carb allows me to manage hunger) and in patience, I suppose (I switched my main goal from weight loss to "not gaining" and losing is a secondary goal - it means I get to celebrate most days, and I never have a reason to feel discouraged enough to quit because I'm always celebrating the weight I have kept off - even during the weight fluctuations. If I gain a pound, I still can celebrate the 104 I have gotten off).
Old 06-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #5  

I've lost well on it. Stalls are common with weight loss but you are not stalled unless you remain the same weight for 6 weeks. A diet high in refined foods and carbs leads to hunger. Protein is the most satisfying food, followed by fat. I'm down 200+ lbs.

Its rare for Citalopram to cause weight gain but there are exceptions to every medication.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #6  
Started IP 09/05/12

Wow guys that is awesome! Thank you for the motivation! Great job!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 172/162/145

Hi Kikie,

I have anxiety and finally made a doctor appointment to see if there was anything I could do about it with medication. I tried Propranolol to manage the symptoms of anxiety, but I had an issue with sudden weight gain and a voracious appetite. I made another appointment with my doctor and she suggested Citalopram (Celexa).

I have been on it for several weeks and decided to start watching my calories and trying to exercise on days I am not at school or work all day. I have lost about 4 lbs so far and am grateful that I am not constantly snacking to fill some void in my life like I have done for years. I think the anti-depressant has really helped in starting to balance out certain feelings and emotions that were out of whack before.

BTW I take 20 mg each night. I was taking it in the morning and felt like I was really dazed during the day so I switched to 10 p.m. and feel such a difference.

Best of luck with your journey.

-Tigerlilly6
Tigerlilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/143/130

Height: 5'4"

I was on citalopram for five weeks but found I wasn't sleeping and having difficulty reaching orgasm, so my doctor pulled me off of it. But in that time I lost 10 pounds and felt very calm and happy, so I was not happy to have to change meds. Have any of you taken citalopram long enough where those sorts of side effects go away, or do they stay the entire time you're on it? Thanks!
citygirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl89 View Post
I was on citalopram for five weeks but found I wasn't sleeping and having difficulty reaching orgasm, so my doctor pulled me off of it. But in that time I lost 10 pounds and felt very calm and happy, so I was not happy to have to change meds. Have any of you taken citalopram long enough where those sorts of side effects go away, or do they stay the entire time you're on it? Thanks!

I'm on several medications that affect serotonin/norepinephrine and each has had a unique effect on mood, energy level, sleep, and libido/sexual function. Sometimes the effects were temporary, and sometimes permanent.

Any of these meds can have opposite reactions for different people. Even if a drug makes most people sleepy, it can give others insomnia. Which is why antidepressants all have the possible side effect of making depression worse.

Citalopram actually gave me back good orgasms. Now this might not be true if I weren't on the other serotonin-affecting medications, because sometimes it's the drugs interactions that can cause some of the drug effects (both positive and negative).

All I know is that every time my doctor added a new medication that affected neurotransmitters, whether it was to replace a drug I was on, or added to what I was already taking, I experienced some change to mood, energy level, and sexual drive or function.

It felt like a crapshoot, because I never knew what combination of effects I would get. Would I get great pain relief, but lose my libido. Would I get a libido boost, but lose the ability to orgasm (that's a bummer, let me tell you to be on a drug that makes you horny all the time, but takes away the ability to enjoy it).

The drug "cocktail" I'm on now is absolutely perfect in that regard, but if I ever have to change any of those drugs or their dosages, it would be back to the crapshoot.

Neurotransmitter-affecting drugs just have that side effect. Sometimes switching drugs helps, sometimes changing the dosage or combining meds helps, but it's one big, crazy Frankensteinian experiment in the meanwhile.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #10  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

celexa was brutal for me.. i gained a ton of weight on it and headaches like crazy amongst other things..effexor was way better for me..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/143/130

@kaplods you are so right. if you don't mind me asking, what combo of meds are you on, or the combo you feel help you the most? it's so frustrating and tough on the body to keep trying different meds and failing.

@porthardygurl I definitely have to do some research on Effexor, I'm glad that was better for you!
citygirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

My doctor actually told me that citalopram is used for binge-eaters to prevent the desire for binging. That is, with the extra seratonin, you might feel less need to overeat to feel good. I was told that it's also not usually associated with weight gain. Clearly not working for some people here, but my experiences were positive.

Last edited by kelly315; 12-02-2012 at 05:24 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl89 View Post
@kaplods you are so right. if you don't mind me asking, what combo of meds are you on, or the combo you feel help you the most? it's so frustrating and tough on the body to keep trying different meds and failing.

Most of my serotonin/norepinephrine affecting meds are prescribed primarily for my fibromyalgia for pain relief and/or sleep. Those that have helped pain, mood, sleep, and energy level are

fish oil - 2,000 mg in the morning and 2,000 mg at night for inflammation

Vitamin D 2,000 mg in the morning

Tramadol (a pain reliever) 50 to 100 mg three to four times per day as needed for pain (in the dead of winter, I usually use the maximum. When the weather is warm and stable I use half or less.

Cyclobenzaprine - a muscle relaxant. 10mg at bedtime (I can take up to three doses a day, but I usually only use one at bedtime).

Amitriptyline - 5mg at bedtime (mostly for sleep, the doctor says it's too low a dose to treat depression)

Citalopram in the morning 20mg.

I include the fish oil and the Vitamin D, because both have anti-inflammatory and antidepressant effects. Vitamin D is actually a hormone, and vitamin D deficiency can cause depression, so it really should be the FIRST thing doctors prescribe, but doctors generally aren't trained to think that way.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-02-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #14  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I agree with Kaplods... Out where i live, we get lots of rain and not much sun...so i started taking 4000mgs of liquid vitamin D.. and my mood and my well being has been doing much better. I find myself more awake, less sluggish and more energy..definitly try adding some vitamin D into your day...though i dont reccomend a high dose like mine, inless you also lack sunshine where you live.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 333.5/306.5/200

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikie View Post
Good afternoon!

When I started taking Citalopram (Celexa) 9 months ago, I never thought I would gain weight, as it initially got rid of all my cravings. I thought it was a miracle! Unfortunately, that was pretty short-lived... and I ended up gaining 20 pounds between August 2011 and April 2012. That put me over the 200 lbs mark and it was a slap in the face. I had to do something about it, and in the beginning of May I started Ideal Protein. Having pretty great success with it so far, down 20 lbs (ironically, my Celexa weight gain). I'm also on BCP since April, which is also known to cause weight gain.

I am wondering if the BCP has an impact on my weight loss at all, and I would also appreciate if some people could share their stories of weight loss while on citalopram. The diet is making me horribly anxious and moody, since I no longer have food to fall back on as comfort. And will I lose some weight eventually just by going off citalopram (in 1 year)? If so, that would give me something to look forward to

Looking forward to reading some of your stories!
I am taking Celexia now and have been for almost a year. Interesting to read that one of the side effects might be weight gain. Since I started taking Celexia I have noticed a trend toward losing weight. But that may be because before taking this drug I was eating almost constantly whether hungry or not. I ate because of depression.
meandu is offline   Reply With Quote