Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/190.4/130

Height: 5'3''

Talking I did It!!!! Ran my first 5k!!!!

So I did it, much faster that I could never plan in my head!!! I went out this morning hoping to get my 25min non-stop jog in and next thing you know I felt I could go for a little more and a little more and a little more and next thing you know I jogged 3.89 miles in 1h02!!!! So I actually jogged non-stop from 0.25 to 3.35 miles walked the rest. I did it in about 52min. Man I am so so so so proud of myself. When you push yourself long enough you will reach your goal; I just did!

Now I have to do it over and over and over again and get faster at it! My goal is less than 45min for my first run in mid-august!

Didn't need to lose 50lbs to start running (really I'm jogging not close to running ) and didn't need to travel 3miles! I'm so pumped I can do anything!!!

I guess I can say that I graduated from C25K even if I didn't follow the program!

Have to say that my Garmin watch really was a plus to my achievement this morning, seeing where I was at each given time was so helpful!!!
happyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #2  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

Way to GO!!!! I too just completed my first 5K (on the tread mill) this week! Was this close for quite sometime (could get to 2.8 miles then mah brain would quit on me!) but dug down and did it a few days ago. Feels great, doesn't it? I'm worried that I'll putz out again and not be able to do it. Ugh, wish my head would just shut up.

Revel in your accomplishment and know that anything is possible if you put your mind to it!

Last edited by loose seal; 06-01-2012 at 02:03 PM.
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/150

Height: 5'0"

Congratulations, that's awesome!!!
aniela26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #4  

Congrats for your achievement this week Loose Seal!!! You are soooo right it's really a mind thing, I almost quit at least 4 times!! Then I keep telling myself that it's all in my mind; my breathing was fine, my legs didn't hurt, it was all about how long I was willing to hold on to and there it was: 3.89miles!!! And let me add I starting this journey on April 8th!!! to me that's more than AMAZING!!

I am a little worried about doing it again too, but the good thing is that I now know for a fact that I CAN do it...so why wouldn't I be able to do it again and again and again!!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #5  

Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyrunner View Post
I now know for a fact that I CAN do it...so why wouldn't I be able to do it again and again and again!!!!
If the distance is still difficult for you you might consider regarding the 3 miles as a long run, not a daily/regular mileage run for now. You've progressed really, really quickly, and too much too fast is an effective way to injure yourself. Just because you can do it once does not mean your legs are up to your doing it all the time yet.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Congratulations!

If the distance is still difficult for you you might consider regarding the 3 miles as a long run, not a daily/regular mileage run for now. You've progressed really, really quickly, and too much too fast is an effective way to injure yourself. Just because you can do it once does not mean your legs are up to your doing it all the time yet.
I figured I'll try to do it 2x a week. I didn't plan for the long distance, it's just that my son was still sleeping, it was nice out and the walk felt so good... Since I try to go out with my son everyday, I'll walk the next couple of days and try again... to tell you the truth even if I can't do it right away, I know it's possible, I will take my time, "cause it's true that it happened pretty fast for me
Old 06-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Congratulations!

What would be a short run if the 3 miles is a long one? Do you think hopping to do it 2x a week is too much?? What's the protocol, since now I want to get better at it????
Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5"4

Congratulations!! That is awesome. I hope to be able to work up to that soon.
NerdyNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #9  

Quote:
What would be a short run if the 3 miles is a long one? Do you think hopping to do it 2x a week is too much?? What's the protocol, since now I want to get better at it????
Do what feels good, feels easyish. Maybe that's 2.5? 2? You know your legs.

I don't think 2x a week is too much at all; for me, that's the minimum I need to maintain distance, FWIW.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 199/179/160

Height: 5'8"

Congratulations happyrunner!! I am doing the C25K program and I hope to one day be able to run a 5k(on the treadmill at least) completely. Short Term Goal, run/jog 5 minutes straight. lol

Keep it up!
thequietvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

WTG!!!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #12  

Happy Runner -- I did it again!! Whoo hoo, you can too!!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose seal View Post
Happy Runner -- I did it again!! Whoo hoo, you can too!!
You did!!!! Yo GO GIRL that's amazing!!! How long after the first time?? I went for a jog yesterday and had to cut it at 2 miles , but that was only 2 days after I did my first 5k... Maybe my body needed more time to recover...

I hope to get another 5k by the end of the week!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

HAPPYRUNNER....Congrats again!!!! I did my first 5K on Friday in just under 37 minutes. You made it to a 5K much faster than me!!!! YAY....We did it. Now on to the 10 K.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #15  

Quote:
You did!!!! Yo GO GIRL that's amazing!!! How long after the first time?? I went for a jog yesterday and had to cut it at 2 miles , but that was only 2 days after I did my first 5k... Maybe my body needed more time to recover...

I hope to get another 5k by the end of the week!!!
I did the first one on May 29 (last Tues) with the intention of trying again on June 2 (Sat) but due to time constraints couldn't. So I did the second one yesterday (June 4). Almost a week later. BUT I exercised nearly everyday, including a 45 min. incline workout on the TM (got the incline up to 15, which is the highest the machine goes; burns lots of cals) plus other days of lower body work ( lunges, squats, calf raises, etc) and several dog walks. I know that doing other leg workouts helps with the running.

I'll probably give it another go Thurs or Fri. Busy week this week so we'll see. I put together several playlists on my ipod and my goal is to finish the 5K within the 'running' songs. So far I've gone about 60-90 seconds into the first 'cool down' song. Little by little, eh?

Good luck and know that you CAN do this. One day at a time, one step at a time, one tenth of a mile at a time . . . eventually it all meshes together. And ok I'm just gonna say it ... if I can do this anyone can do this. Truly!!