Diabetes Support - Diabetes Chat for June.

View Full Version : Diabetes Chat for June.

Ruthxxx
06-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Good morning and welcome to June - in case you didn't notice.

May was a bit of a wash for me as far as weightloss was concerned - up/down/up all month for a net result of 0. However, FBGL was stable except for one high mystery reading mid-month. I really hope to get more weight off in June. Right now I am exactly the same weight I was this time last year. That is NOT progress!

Part of my problem is living in this small town which seems to be the carb capital of Eastern Ontario. Because of all my volunteer involvements, I seem to end up at foodie events a lot. June is jammed with BBQs, fish frys, picnics and strawberry socials. And the July brings the Fair. I really need to go to a special gym class to stiffen my resistance muscle.

pattygirl63
06-01-2012, 09:00 AM
A quick flyby this morning. Got to run to the post office and go down to Aldi's to get me some fruit... I love their grapefruit and have one left. This is also my wash day so really busy. DH and DD are going laptop pc shopping this afternoon to find a nice inexpensive one for DGS graduation gift. He graduates tomorrow afternoon. We will take him out to eat and then come home and give him the gift. He has wanted one for so long and was disappointed when he didn't get it for Christmas or his BD. However, DH and I had always planned to get it for his Graduation. DD wants to give it to him so if we go in together on it then we can get a nicer one.

I can't believe this is June already. Hope June is nicer to us for our health.
Y'all have a great June 1st.

Riemontana
06-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi all,

Sorry that I have been MIA for a few days. I have just been overwhelmed, and maybe a little down. I am happy to say that my eating has stayed on track in the midst of a lot of stress.

This weekend I hope to get a few things done and maybe a little fishing.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Back tomorrow.

Rie

fatmad
06-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Hey everyone:
Well, yesterday started off well. I went to the chiropractor, and thats always a help for me. THen yoga, then lunch with a friend. After that did some shopping, got some shapewear to wear under my dress for the wedding. Also rechecked local stores for dresses, but think I will order one online instead. No local places had just what I wanted, and I can order one online that I quite like. I tried on some similar ones and they look ok, so I think I will do that today.
Last stop was costco. I go splenda packets in bulk, (so much cheaper than anywhere else, ) but also bought some granola bars. Just 3 points each, and a nice snack for work. Some frozen fish fillets too.
THen I went off the rails. GOt home, and had double servings of the fish for supper, and ate 4 granola bars. (They are really good!) Why oh why am I not satisfied with one. I wasn't even hungry. WHy to undo all that I have managed?
Carbs really get my carb cravings going. THis is where will power comes in.
OK, GOing super low carb for the rest of the weekend. That does it!

Ruth: I hear you with the foodie events. I don't know about changing your social life to get away from them, I like that you are an older woman on your own, but have a full and rich life. It nice to hear about, and think that aging doesn't mean loneliness. I have often looked to my father and love how social and active he is, for him retirement was truly a new lease on life. Are there things to focus on that don't include food? Is there a walking group at your church?

Rie: care to talk about what's getting you down and overwhelmed?

hope people are having a good weekend, we are getting more of the needed rain, but it now it looks we won't have much dry weather before the wedding, and thats not great either.
TTFN

Butterfly50
06-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Going threw My diabetic nutrition book and was ready where they say you can have 2 tbs of dried fruits > Does anyone do dried fruits and if so how do you handle them I thought dried fruits were higher in sugar from being dried but I would love some dried cranberries or raisins As I go threw and have anymore questions I will ask. I will be back

love2b150
06-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Good Afternoon Ladies. I am proud to say that my fbs this morning was 118. I am so happy to see that low number. I am looking forward to doing better and seeing only double digests like you all :D

Ruth wow that is a lot to resist, busy lady. :) That would be a challenge for me and a great one at that. If I conquered all of those outings then I would know I have this in the bag :)

Trish grapefruit is ok? I love grapefruit. How much of one do you eat in a meal? and I just left Aldi, didn't even look at them because I didn't know I was allowed without it causing havoc. Your DGS is gonna be thrilled :)

Rie sorry about the stress :hug: I hope you have a great weekend. Keep smiling :)

Madeleine you are busy busy busy. When you eat the granola does it spike your bs a lot? I am not a fan of granola or oats but if I could find something similar I'd be willing to give it a try.

Bonnie what book do you have?

Sorry for all of the questions today. I have one more do any of you eat bread? If so what is the best brand/kind to eat. I just want a good sandwich. Thanks

geoblewis
06-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Quick check-in here...hey girls! I'm still on vacation! Posting from Edinburgh where I've been having a wonderful time. Have only check blood sugar a couple times. I've stayed really active, walking 3 to 6 miles a day. I've done some Pilates in my room on occasion, worked out at the hotel gym too. All my success was in the fitness realm. Food is a different story! Not that bad, but I've been eating whole wheat bread every day, plus one dessert. I've made sure the bread had lots of butter on it and the dessert had lots of cream in it (ha ha!) and had plenty of vegetables and some protein with every meal. Just haven't eaten many meals. I have no idea how my blood sugar is doing, but I feel pretty great (except for how sore my legs are from all the hills and stair climbing).

I'll be checking back in by Wednesday or Thursday. Be well!

Butterfly50
06-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Rennie I have a book Choose your foods The Exchange list for Diabetes I got it from the nutrition center when I had my nutrition counselling I looked at several dried fruits man the carb content was out of this world and so was the sugars so I didnt buy any.. The book is buy American Dietetic association. Its jest a 64 pages that tells you information on the good and bads of foods and the amount to stick with.

Ruthxxx
06-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Oh my! Reality has struck! I tried on and bought a bathing suit yesterday morning. It was just as traumatic as it was before I lost some weight but I will survive. It helped me me resist most of the food at the afternoon garden party and have a very light salad supper. BGL up a tad this morning - not sure why. Weight is still the same.

Rain in the forecast again today and I have a "family" dinner tonight with some of my single gal-pals and their kids. (They are all in their 40's but I manage not to feel old.) Karen is doing a ham, Joanne a salad and Heather scalloped potatoes. I am hoping the salad is a simple one. Rather than make a rhubarb pie for dessert, I bought a DQ ice cream cake which the kids will love and I can resist completely.

On with Sunday - trying hard to feel strong.

fatmad
06-03-2012, 09:28 AM
I did well with the friends for supper last night. Made canneloni, not low carb, but with the meat stuffing not bad. Made an antipasta tray with cold cuts and cheese, (olives and artichokes too of course) to balance it off, and of course, a huge green salad. and for dessert, that ricotta cake I made at Dad's birthday in April. All in all went well, didn't totally pig out. The conversation was good.
A bit difficult to talk much with my friend about stuff that mattered. DD was with us for a while when we were prepping supper and didn't have the guys around, so it was later. She cried a little, having trouble with her DD and the fellow she has been seeing for 4 years now (who was downstairs watching the overtime hockey with my DH), family difficulties, She is having a crummy year, and I just want to be there for her. (she a was wonderful and non-judgmental during my own bad year with all the problems with DD) Good friends are worth a fortune, aren't they?

Georgia, I love holidays that involve lots of walking, it helps balance off all the great food we have. Only had a couple bad meals when I was in England and Scotland, most were quite wonderful. Continue to have a great time. The walking will of course help with the sugars anyhow!

Bonnie: remember the portions recommended with the dried fruit. 2 tblsp would be enough to put some raisins in your oatmeal, and not more.Or 2 prunes to help with constipation. Stick with fresh when you can get it. Also, a lot of the diabetes association diets are pretty high in carbs, and they are written to be the same for type 1 and type 2. Most of us type 2 find we do better with lower carbs. (the diabetes association diets usually have about 180-200g carbs/day, where most of us are doing about 100g/day or lower) but when you lower carbs, you have to get the calories and energy from somewhere, so increase fat and protein a bit so you don't get too hungry.

Love2b150, I stick to whole grain cereals when I have cereal. One serving of grains a day. So breakfast cereal, often fibre 1 or one of the kashi granola like cereals with either milk and fruit or greek yogurt and fruit. or sprouted grain bread with peanut butter and fruit spread. or later in the day, a granola bar. These are always whole grain, and the preventia ones have dark chocolate on the bottom, (supposed to be antioxidant!) and are delicious. You notice I said one serving/day of grains, and that night I ate several bars, so way too much. Kashi granola bars, or fibre 1 bars are ok too. The kashi and preventia ones are 3 ww points, while the fibre 1 are 4. Either way, they are dessert, as the sweetness is there. :devil:

Ruth, have a great time tonight, way to go getting a dessert the kids will love but won't tempt you!
I for one am going to do some planting today, and if the rain will not go away, will also get some tax stuff done. (haha, because I am self-employed, don't have to file until June 15!)
have a good sunday friends.

Riemontana
06-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Hello All!

Fbs at 75 today. My bs has been stable. Yesterday was a good day. I went for a 4+ mile walk, did some gardening and ate well. My weight is still high but I am hanging in there.

This week my challenge will be a trip to Sidney, MT - on the edge of the oil field development. Food choices will be limited and it is not safe to be out walking there. If I have wifi at the motel, I will post.

My stress has been a combination of work stress and stress at home with my ds hitting all at the same time. I am trying to maintain a more positive attitude.

Mad, when is the wedding? I can sure relate about problems with adult children. Most of the time my ds is really easy.... it has just been a hard time lately.

Ruth, swimming suits are brutal. On the other hand, buying swim suits for the first time last year was new for me. It had been about 20 years since I had even owned one. I guess that it progress.

Bonnie, I eat a couple tablespoons of dried cranberries or cherries on a salad sometimes. They are a sweet and tangy addition. Such a small portion is hard for me to eat as a snack but I do ok if I include them in a salad. I also like a few raisins mixed in with broccoli salad.

Georgia, your vacation sounds wonderful! Enjoy.

Love2b, your questions are most welcome! I eat a whole grain bread called Montana Wheat. It has 13 carbs per slice. I rarely eat bread. I tend to treat carbs as something that I "spend" like currency. Grapefruit is considered a low sugar fruit. I can also tolerate apples and berries - in reasonable portions Congrats on your new numbers. You are making great progress!

Trish, I am sure that your dgs loved the laptop. What a great gift.

Sorry I haven't been around much. I will try to do better. I always feel better after I have visited you here. thanks.

Rie

love2b150
06-03-2012, 07:02 PM
fbs this morning 155 ... I don't know why though but I guess I'll figure it out with time.

Georgia, why a lot of butter and heavy cream with the bread and dessert? Doesn't that make your reads higher? I'm just asking I haven't got a clue. :shrug: Still learning and love tips that can allow me to eat a piece of bread :D Good for you on getting your exercise in :)

Thanks Bonnie for the name of the book :)

Ruth my fbs was higher also but I was down .2 in weight not a lot I know but I just figured if one was high the other would be also :shrug: Hope you have a great day. :)

Madeleine glad your supper went well, and what a great friend you are :) Good friends are worth a fortune :) Thanks for the information to Bonnie. I think you answered my question to Georgia also :) Do you have a particular Greek yogurt that you eat? I bought some Alvarado St. Bakery - sprouted grains bread today. I ate two slices with some Smucker's fruit spread and some Peter Pan low sugar peanut butter. Not what I had in mind but it did satisfy a taste that I was needing I believe :D. I will definitely check out the granola bars, though I am not a granola fan. I need to learn to stop being so picky, huh!

Thanks Rie I was wondering about apples, thanks and grapes too? :)

Jane
06-03-2012, 09:10 PM
For Rie ---> :hug:

Riemontana
06-03-2012, 10:32 PM
thanks Jane - and everyone. I thought you might enjoy a peek at my mood elevating activity of the day. Fishing with the little guy late this afternoon. Low carb, too!

geoblewis
06-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Love2b, for my body, if I add some good fats to whole grains, blood sugar doesn't seem to go up as much. This is a recent discovery of mine. It also must go with meal timing. Can't do that in the mornings because blood sugar is already at an elevated level for me. Can't do it at night because my liver stores it all and dumps it in the morning. So if I've been walking/exercising a lot throughout the day, then I can have whole grain toast with butter for a midday snack or a creamy dessert with a late lunch. But I have to exercise on either side of eating like that.

I'm missing my old eating schedule, though. My friend and I have different body clocks and we don't usually feel like eating or getting to bed at the same time. And since we're so far north, sunset is much later and it never really gets dark enough. I am ravenous at lunch, not eating dinner so much, and I miss my vegetables. I am not drinking enough water either. And I've had more gin this week than I've had all year!

I fly back to the US on Wednesday. Tonight we go to the symphony! I've never been!

pattygirl63
06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
thanks Jane - and everyone. I thought you might enjoy a peek at my mood elevating activity of the day. Fishing with the little guy late this afternoon. Low carb, too!

:hug:Rie... that is what it's all about isn't it? Hope things are going good for you. I've decided that I have to step back and see what I'm accomplishing here and I realized that if I was as emotional as I was when the oldest DGS granduated, what will I be like if I live to see the youngest one accomplish the same thing. When I married DH there was no way that little boy would have made the accomplishments he has made. I didn't know enough about Aspburgers (sp) to know what he wasn't supposed to be able to do so I took all the good things his real "deceased" grandmother put in him and I built on that telling him he could be whatever he wanted to be. I stood at the graduation and remembered a little 9 yr old boy looking up at me and whispering "Do you know about my Meemaw?" And I told him "Yes, I know about your Meemaw and you can talk to me about him anytime you want. I was really close to my grandmother like you were with your Meemaw". We've been buddies every since.

No one works with getting baby to drink from a cup. We have a special cup that teaches him to drink out of a straw. No one has worked with him and the therapist will be here in the morning. I found a new straw and cut it to make it work for him. YAY!!!! I tried it with him after his nap and I am pleased to say that Jaxx actually liked drinking milk from a straw today.

So, I want to thank you Rie for helping me through all I've gone through and I pray whatever you are going through will work out good for you. We are doing what needs to be done and I think I realized Saturday at the graduation that the "Reward" is the results we see later down the road.:hug:

love2b150
06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
fbs was 140 this a.m.

Hi Jane :wave:

Rie what a great mood elevating activity. My boys go to the pond to fish (I'm not allowed) they go with there friends. Catch and release :)

Georgia thanks for the tips. For breakfast this morning I had a slice of rye/pumpernickel bread with real butter and fruit spread with an egg, cheese and ham omelet I made, my bs was 138 - 2hrs and 15minutes after. I was shocked. So that breakfast sounds like a keeper for me. Now I have to work on lunch. Dinner is pretty easy :)

Trish and Rie :hug: I haven't been here long enough to know what's what but it sounds like you all have made some great accomplishments. Keep up the great work and keep being you :hug: I hope that the whatever you are going through gets better/easier :hug:

fatmad
06-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Love2B, glad you are finding that some fat helps with the sugars. The balancing act comes with having the fats to slow down the absorptions of starches, (trying to make sure they are healthy fats if possible) and when we are trying to lose weight, making sure that calories are within the limits we want. Its tough for all of us, and its a learning process.

For my part, I am doing atkins again for a bit, the carb cravings are getting the best of me. We will see if I can make it through the first day, always the hardest. Managed to turn down the chinese noodles DH was having for lunch.
GOt to Yoga this morning.

Sad news, my uncle (Dad's brother) passed away yesterday. He has had alzheimers for a few years, and was in a nursing home, with an aunt and cousin taking most of the responsiblity for seeing him regularly and doing laundry for him. He was a terrific guy, comfirmed bachelor, a real womanizer, but also with no kids, he was more of a friend to his nieces and nephews, and treated us all wonderfully. I am trying to figure out a schedule change to go to Quebec for the funeral with my dad.

Rie: loved the pic. A great mother/son activity. Bet thats a great time for him to open up and talk about things weighing on that young mind, in between telling you about the sound an outboard motor makes. :D

Have a good Tuesday friends

pattygirl63
06-05-2012, 07:27 PM
:hug:Madeliene So sorry to hear about your uncle. All but one of my uncles are gone and I was never very close to him. Daddy wasn't raised with him. I'm cutting back on my carbs as well. Not doing Induction because of the Joint Juice that I drink, but I had to get control as I was craving sweets ALL the time which always is a good sign that I better get busy and get control. I actually have been hungry for the Atkin's food. Got the New Atkins recipe book. I know I would like to eat more low carb and thought they might have some good recipes in there. Haven't had time to look at it yet.

I've been dealing with swelling a lot too and I know low carb takes care of that so easily. In fact, I woke up this morning with leg cramps in BOTH legs at the same time. I hopped out of bed going "O God, O God". Didn't even wake up DH. LOL Can't really blame the Metformin at this point though as I'm really trying to flush the fluid out. I'm just trying to hit the protein and veggies more than anything else and not cook with much if any salt at all which is tricky since DH loves his salt, but I can make most of my foods separate from his.

Bonnie, Jane, Georgia, Ruthie, Love, Rie and Everyone:wave:

Ruthxxx
06-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Patty, I'm fighting the salt monster too. Weight is still up - 184 :yikes: and I'm wondering if I'm using salt as a scapegoat. I did have ham on Sunday, a marinated flank steak on Monday and sushi when in town yesterday but ...

Anyhow, I'm off to the gym shortly and have asparagus soup planned for lunch with three (count them!) wheat thin crackers. Not sure about dinner but it will include lovely chard and/or spinach from my garden. I also am loaded with leaf lettuce if anyone wants some. Coming soon - sugar snap peas and strawberries!

Hang in there chickies.

pattygirl63
06-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Ruthie I forgot that the main reason that I love low carbing is that it keeps that old salt monster from swelling up my ankles. I really didn't cut the carbs all that much yesterday and finally I can see my ankles. Not the way I want them, but they are way down from the way they've been in the past few weeks. And I think weight has actually gone back down and even a lb lower than ticker, but I'll wait a few days to be sure. I got in the habit of eating a lot of low cal/ff foods as well as a lot of prepared foods and of course they are loaded with salt. I'm trying to do more homemade things so I have more control.

I love Chinese/Oriental type foods as I know you, Ruthie, do as well. I found a large bag frozen Oriental veggies at Aldi's and decided to try them. I make either instant brown rice or whole grain noodles and cook them up, take some kind of meat... beef, pork, chicken or fish (I like pre-cooked tail-off shrimp) and I cook those all separately. Nuke the veggies while noodles or rice cook as I saute the meat in whatever goes with meat I'm using and/or taste I'm in the mood for at that time. When it is all done, I mix it together and I have a nice healthy Chinese type dinner and little or no salt. I'm trying to learn to do this with a lot of foods that I/we like ready made.

I don't know if I shared with those of you here on this thread, but I'm reading a book "Why the Chinese Don't Count Calories" by Lorraine Clissold. Only read 2 chapters so far... message seems to be that we seem to think we've done a good "healthy" thing if we, example, eat a portion of green peas, drink orange juice and have a salad each day to get our 5 veggie/fruits in. And while we build a meal around a meat dish, they build a meal around loads of veggies. They eat the meat and carbs, but they are all mixed and blended together... unlike the Chinese meals where we want loads of rice and meat, I get the impression theirs is either balanced or they eat more veggies. They have no fear of any food as we do here in the western world. Also, they blend flavors of seasonings in their foods. From what I can tell, their way of eating is comparable to what I have read about Volumetrics way of eating. Also, helps me to understand more of what as well as why WW is trying to get dieters to learn to eat more veggies and fruits.

Yesterday I wanted fish. DH loves Long John Silvers, but there is no way I can match it. I've tried. I heated up some peanut oil. Salted a cod fillet for him and I had some Steelhead trout that I need to use and lightly salted fillet for me. Since I don't want the flour, I took almond flour and mixed with with a little corn meal to make my batter. I dredged fish in dry mixture and egg/milk mixture and dry mix again to coat well and fried it in the peanut oil just long enough to get the fish done. I think this could also be baked which I've done with just the almond flour, but wasn't sure with the corn meal thus the reason for frying it. DH thought it needed more salt, but other than that it was good and we had plenty of veggies so it was much healthier for us.

Madeliene I heard something on tv last night where someone had just stopped eating"wheat"... person hadn't changed anything else but cut out the wheat and said he had lost inches in his waist, no longer lethargic with that washed out feeling. In fact, he said that he felt better and had a lot more energy. Can't remember what was said about the weight loss. It seems he knew someome who looked great and told him they had quit eating wheat. He said he liked the way that person looked so much that he decided to try it. He only gave up foods with wheat in it which he said he found it in loads of food. He stressed that he still eats ice cream etc no other change but the wheat gone from diet. Don't know that I'm ready to totally get rid of wheat, but I could cut it way back and who knows may still cut it out completely if I can find satisfactory substitutes for some of the things I eat. I do eat more whole grains, but I'm not sure if it still has wheat in it or not so I'll have to check that one out..

Don't have to cook today as DH made his huge batch of spaghetti sauce last night. Haven't decided if I'm going to eat it on whole grain spaghetti or make loads of veggies and mix it. Have plans for both so will see which way it goes.

Y'all have a great day.

fatmad
06-06-2012, 08:39 PM
HI Friends:
fbs was 4.8 today after my atkins day yesterday. Weigh in was back to ticker tonight. I stuck with atkins again today.
Trish: I am not sure I will stay wheat free for long. I don't think it makes me feel fuzzy in the head. I definitely don't feel bloated with it the way some people do. But, I am doing better on carb cravings by having none for now. Seems to also lessen the food cravings in general. But I think the other part is that planning is simplified. I stayed for the meeting tonight and was reminded about that. I haven't been planning my food for the day keeping points in mind. will have to work on that, but I don't think thats likely until after the wedding. but the planning should help me get through my vacation times. My other goal will be to ride my bike, which I haven't been doing very often. Will be easier on the knees than running or lots of walking. so thats tonight's meeting, making goals and plans for the summer.
Hope everyone had a good hump day.

Ruthxxx
06-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Hmmmm. Weight is up again and I think it is definitely the carbs! I need to quit blaming salt.

Yesterday's planning went down the tube as other stuff interfered. I need to make MY plans a priority.

Here are the gory details:
B. 2 slices brown bread and one poached egg.
Snack - a cup of raspberries
L. bacon and tomato sandwich on brown bread
Snack - an avocado
D. pasta with pesto and parmesan plus a glass or two of red wine.

How's that for being waaaaay off plan?!!! Wheat city! I just may have to switch over to Atkins for a while and keep a close eye on my BGL.

pattygirl63
06-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Yesterday's planning went down the tube as other stuff interfered. I need to make MY plans a priority.

Here are the gory details:
B. 2 slices brown bread and one poached egg.
Snack - a cup of raspberries
L. bacon and tomato sandwich on brown bread
Snack - an avocado
D. pasta with pesto and parmesan plus a glass or two of red wine.

How's that for being waaaaay off plan?!!! Wheat city! I just may have to switch over to Atkins for a while and keep a close eye on my BGL.

Ruthie I think mine is a combo of salt and carbs, but I think mine was too many pre-packaged foods like I love those new $1 frozen dinners. DD takes them to work and I think when I ate them it made me want more salty foods. Just cutting the out the high salt pre-packaged foods in my diet. I also think you hit something on the head with "I need to make MY plans a priority."

I have done a lot of reading of people who successfully lose weight and keep it off and they learn to eat the way that feeds their lifestyle and the foods they like and I think the key to their success is that they make Their Plan their Priority. I'm not sure that I've ever made MY PLAN MY PRIORITY. I've always left room for fitting into other peoples plans. Maybe that is something to to think about... at least for me to think about.

Have a great day.

pattygirl63
06-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Madeleine I think that I have to give up the wheat either although I haven't checked to see if or how much wheat is in my whole grain foods. I had the WG spaghetti with the spaghetti meat sauce DH made and while I did have some swelling with the sauce it wasn't enough to worry about and neither was the WG spaghetti a problem as the 1 lb loss I saw yesterday seems to be sticking. I think I just have to change 2 things... cut the salt back to a minimum and drinking loads of water and tea will help that situation and second lower my intake of the starchy carbs but I don't think I will have to go to Atkins Induction low. I'm not sure it is the eating of wheat as much as it is "how much" we eat of it. What do you think? I'm not really counting cals or carb, IMetformin still not causing any cramps so I guess 1000 mg is safe for me, but the FBS is still up a little.

I read one time that the high morning number has a lot to do with how we feel when we wake up in the morning. Also read where a doctor said it was more important what the number is later in the day and that is always good. Personally, if my number has to be a little bit high in order for me to wake up feeling eager to hop out of bed then I can live with that. JMO

I'm not really counting cals or carbs, I'm just eating only the foods that I like that my body seems to function better on and I'm finding that I am better satisfied and hungry less. It's back to what I wrote to Ruthie about finding "My Own Plan" and making it "My Priority". I'm finding that it works for me because I'm sorry to say that I have a personality tendency of late to "rebel" against "diet" rules and this way I have found a way around that so maybe I can finally get food working for me instead of against. It is called Intuitive Eating.

You can learn a lot for kids. Youngest DGD usually eats ALL the time durning the school year. Last few days, I've noticed that she wasn't eating during the day so realizing that they used to get their meals free at school, I thought maybe they didn't have any food. So I asked her. She said, "Well, we haven't been to the store, but I've just been busy playing the X-Box". This morning I gave her some Eggo waffles if she wanted them. She said, "I'm not hungry right now" as she put them in the freezer of their fridge. I found that quite interesting because during the school year she left the house eating, came home and went straight to making something to eat and ate constantly throughout the day on Sat and Sun. What has changed? I'm not sure, but whatever the trigger was that made her eat constantly seems to have been removed for now. I will be interesting to see what happens when school starts again in the fall.

Everyone must be busy with "summer" things with kids out of school. Hope y'all are having a great day.

love2b150
06-07-2012, 06:56 PM
fbs yesterday - 214 due to some no sugar/gluten free pasta. I don't know if maybe my portion was too big or my body just didn't like it.

fbs this morning 162 due to me eating the top off a snickerdoodle muffin my son made

tomorrow will be better no off plan eating for me this evening. Just took my bs it was 89. A lady that I attend services with recommended "milk thistle" have any of you used this or heard of it?

Madeleine I am definitely definitely still learning. This is truly a learning process. Hope you're doing better with Atkins (cravings). I did it once and the carb cravings killed me not to mention the headaches. :) Sorry to hear about your Uncle. We just attended my Dad's youngest brother's funeral on Friday. He had being ill for some time, so even though we'll miss him we know he's in a better place. My condolences to you and your family :hug:

Trish I had a leg cramp one day last week. I haven't had one in forever. I didn't know diabetes caused them (oh not diabetes but the Metformin does?)

My husband use to douse his food in salt but not any more. It took some time but he got use to the way I season food without it. He will however put it in his grits, yuk :) I like the idea of making my own Asian dishes but the fear I have of carbs is just crazy (I know you wouldn't think it since I keep sampling them) :)
I never thought about it like that "fitting into other peoples plans" I think I am more of a convenient person. It's so much easier just to eat what I fix for my family and I cook for them constantly it seems (when I'm home). When I lost weight before I would fix myself something first and eat it while theirs was cooking. I just can't seem to get the back this go around. But I also did not work outside of the home either.

Our kids have one more week and at the end of the school year I have to remind them that this is not a free for all and they can not eat all day. :)

Ruth wish I could get some of that lettuce from you :) How do you make asparagus soup? Is cabbage soup good for us? I like it and can definitely eat it daily. :)

Butterfly50
06-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi Everyone it's me the Person who keeps falling flat on her face. I go good for a week and then I fall. I am trying to figure out why.. I am feeling pretty down cause it is making me upset that I can't get it togeather. Don't get it I try so hard and it isnt helping. This family here is making it so hard for me to do this too been thinking of how I can make this happen for me I dont know where my will power went but it seems to of disappeared .. I feel like a failure . I disappoint myself I was so strong before the move I was doing soo good and now I can't seem to find the path I need. I do feel like sitting down and having a nice long cry may be it will help me out here. No one in this house understands what I am going threw . I dont even have a friend who I can call on life sucks sometimes feeling alone and dont know where to go.

pattygirl63
06-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Hi Everyone it's me the Person who keeps falling flat on her face. I go good for a week and then I fall. I am trying to figure out why.. I am feeling pretty down cause it is making me upset that I can't get it togeather. Don't get it I try so hard and it isnt helping. This family here is making it so hard for me to do this too been thinking of how I can make this happen for me I dont know where my will power went but it seems to of disappeared .. I feel like a failure . I disappoint myself I was so strong before the move I was doing soo good and now I can't seem to find the path I need. I do feel like sitting down and having a nice long cry may be it will help me out here. No one in this house understands what I am going threw . I dont even have a friend who I can call on life sucks sometimes feeling alone and dont know where to go.

:hug:Bonnie I am so sorry you are going through this. I was concerned about y'all moving in there because I've gone through so much myself with so many living here. It isn't that the people around us mean to be difficult, but as you say they just don't understand. It isn't easy when you have to cook and do things around others... their schedule, way of eating and lifestyle. Visiting with someone when they come to see us or we go to see them is quite different from living with them.

I've just had to start taking care of me and you will have to find your way to do the same for yourself. It feels like they especially the children are mad at me most of the time, but I've had to find my way to get free from as much of the stress as possible. Here's hoping you :hug: can find your way to lessen your stress.

pattygirl63
06-08-2012, 12:34 AM
Rennie I've always had a tendency toward leg cramps even as a teenager, but when I went from 1000 mg to 2000 mg of Metformin they came back and was worse. When I took it with Fenophibrate (sp), I had muscle cramps in various parts of my body especially under my breasts. I am taking only 1000 mg Metformin right now and it seems to be working.

I've actually had a really good few days since I cut back on the carbs. NO CRAVINGS so far. Sure hope it keeps up like this. I'm taking advantage of it and hoping it will become a habit.

Jane Did I see on FB that you have a new Grandbaby? Is that your son's little baby?

Ruthxxx
06-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Did OK on keeping carbs in check until early afternoon. I failed to plan ahead, had no lunch and was attacked by a small bag of goldfish crackers when I was shopping in town. Better than a trip to the Chinese Buffet but still ... :( Dinner was great - lobster (!!!) and salad. The lobster is a rare treat since I'm so far from the ocean but there was a great sale. However, the white wine was certainly not necessary.

Completely forgot my meds last night but BGL is 4.6 this morning and two pounds fell off overnight. This whole thing continues to be a big mystery to me. :shrug:

Living by myself, I can make ME a priority but I really feel for those of you dealing with families and other angst. As women, we are inclined to put the needs of others first and it's hard to change that mind-set. I have no good advice but do empathize. Hang in there, chickies - it WILL get better!

fatmad
06-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Good morning all: yesterday was a sleep day mostly, had a lovely home birth in the night, but slept a lot. An amazing thing happened, I made ricotta cake for company on Saturday night, but had forgotten about the left overs! Realizing this, I took the 1/2 cake to the office yesterday and shared it with rhubarb sauce (ok, rhubarb cooked with splenda til it was saucy!) and now it is gone, and no longer a temptation. Did low carb yesterday, and will so it today to, then back to atkins induction for saturday and sunday. MOnday and Tuesday will be points days, as we will be at the mercy of the funeral directors, and I want to be able to drink wine or beer. I don't speak french very well period, and get self-concious about it if I don't drink. :o
Weight is down below 180 today, see if it sticks with me changing plans around. fbs was 5.1 so am pretty pleased I got through the sleep day without overeating and overcarbing as I am prone to do.
Trish: those $1 frozen foods are really frankenfoods, full of carbs and salt. No matter how convenient, was pay with our health! As a diet resister, I am with you sister, but however you are managing, make sure you are getting healthy foods and smaller portions. I do like the small plate trick to reduce portions.
Rennie: Its all a learning process for each of us, and some people can handle and enjoy foods that others can't. You fbs was fabulous, congrats! Don't forget extra calcium-magnesium and b complex for the leg cramps!
Ruth, sorry about the pirhanas, I mean goldfish attacking you. What nasty fish, you made up for it with the lobster eating I guess.
I got one of the retro dresses in the mail yesterday, and it does look great on me, but won't zip up the side well, a bit tight there. Plan to lose 5 more pounds in a hurry, (atkins induction to the max!) and sew it on if needed. Still another dress to come, but I definitely like the style and fit of the red one. Its from a place online called "trashy diva" and is a red full skirted tight bodiced shirtwaist style. Its the tight bodice that is the problem, may even take it to a dressmaker and get sewn in if needed for the wedding.
WELL off to work ladies, have a lovely June Friday, tgif

pattygirl63
06-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Good Morning Chickies

Weight is about the same. FBS is slowly coming back down, but still high. I really don't know what it was yesterday because I forgot to check it until after I had taken my vitamins and bp medicine. Don't know if any of it really affects it but didn't worry about it. FBS got up to 212 one day this week, but is back down to 187 this morning and NO LEG CRAMPS from the Metformin and the swelling has come down considerably which should help a lot.

Rennie Madeleine is the one who taught me what to do about the leg cramps. My doc says B is a vitamin that just flushes out of our system when we get more than we need so I take one B-100 in the morning, and a B50 or complex depending on what I can get at the time (get most of my vitamins at Wal Mart). I take a Magnesium/Potassium combo I get from a Vitamin store online and it has really helped get the leg cramps under control. I knew about magnesium because the doc had me take Milk of Magnesium 45 yrs ago when I was pregnant and had lots of leg cramps.

Madeleine...:hug: Big Thanks to you You are a real blessing to all of us and I personally appreciate your advice to us. It has taken me a long time to find my way in dealing with diabetes and you've helped me a lot by helping me understand why you do certain things etc. I read a book when first diagnosed a few years ago which said to educate yourself and take control of your diabetes yourself. There is so much info out there on the net as well as in books... some good some not so good. Some I can or am willing to do and others I'm not... that is why you have to make it a learning experience where you learn to do what works/is right for you and fits your lifestyle. According to my doc, those who do this are the ones who successfully control their diabetes.

Ruthie Had Lobster once at Red Lobster back in TX and hated it too fishy tasting. Everyone tells me it is because it was frozen and they swear that if I ever eat it fresh that I'll love it. Hope I get to find out someday. Fish is becoming a big part of my food plan these day... just because I love it.

Bonnie :hug:I pray you have a good day today. Try to take things One Day at a Time. This is what I have to do because I can't do this if I see it long term. I am trying to focus on the "goal" not the now.

This is my laundry day. Kids know it, but oldest DGS came through and asked if I was doing laundry. I've learned to speak up. I told him yes and reminded him that I get Mon and Fri mornings and they have the rest of the week to do theirs. Something came up yesterday and I asked him about something and his attitude has been crappy. So I took the opportunity to let him know that his grandad sees their attitude about things and just how "he really thinks about it". Of course, I didn't tell him/them (not my place) but he feels like they just want to walk all over him... tear up things and have no respect for our stuff and how we want to take care of things. The big thing for me is what I knew would happen when he got to feeling good again "NOW HE IS SAYING THINGS TO THEM" and I think they have heard him say things to me about things. I feel sorry for my hubby. He has always been there for his daughter and her family and his oldest grandson has told him he wants to move back to FL because when he has a family he wants to raise his kids around "his grandparents". Tony is his only Blood grandparent on his Mother's side. It really hurt Tony and he even told his daughter about it. We have thought all along that they were using us and will move back to FL so Tony came right out and asked her. Her only answer was "Tyler says dumb things without thinking". No I think Tyler says what he hears them say because I've seen what she has said on FB. I can see a heartache coming in the future for my hubby that I can't stop. All I can do is pray for him and be there for him. At least now I know what is going on. You know the crazy thing is that my kids, especially my little great grandaughter thinks Tony is the greatest. Strange isn't it? I don't know what the future holds, but I know somehow it will all work out. Sure has changed my attitude about a lot of things. It really helps when you know what you are dealing with. It's just LIFE!!!:dizzy:

Y'all have a great day.

Butterfly50
06-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone and Thanks for the kind words. Today is going on ok so far still feeling down though.

Was wondering is anyone taking vitamins or anything on a daily . Was wondering if I needed something extra in on a daily.

So was also wondering how do some of you handle carbs like bread and stuff like that ..

pattygirl63
06-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone and Thanks for the kind words. Today is going on ok so far still feeling down though.

Was wondering is anyone taking vitamins or anything on a daily . Was wondering if I needed something extra in on a daily.

So was also wondering how do some of you handle carbs like bread and stuff like that ..

I take a lot of Vitamins. Gave a list to doc and he approved it... removing some he said I didn't need and added some he said I did need. As for bread, I only use Double Fiber by Nature's Own. I don't eat a lot of bread very often. However, when I do keep a loaf around for those times when I really want a sandwich. Just me.

Hope you feel better soon.:hug: I know I feel down and depressed when I don't feel in control of my eating. I know I can't control other people, but feel that I should be able to control what I put in my mouth. So I really do understand what you are going through.

love2b150
06-08-2012, 11:26 PM
fbs this morning 138 and down 2.4lbs of junk that I swallowed ... I have been so good today that it has to be in range tomorrow, :crossed:

I've noticed that always after lunch feel like I want to eat. I have no idea why. I am full when I finish lunch but about an hour later I'm thinking about food and looking. Thinking what I can eat that won't affect my bs reading. I can't wait for my brain/eyes/stomach to settle down :D

Bonnie I have felt alone so many times. Even today I told my daughter it seems that for every step forward I am yanked two back. I don't know why that is but I lean on my faith. I have 5 children 4 are ages 8-14. I believe that they give me the will to keep on trying no matter how hard I feel that I have it. No one here can talk to me about what's going on with me either. All I hear is Mommy don't eat that, Mommy should you be eating that?, my husband doesn't say anything, my little patrols have it covered. That may sound like a support system but me being at the other end of the stick and watching them eat what they want makes me feel very alone. My baby asked me this evening could I eat pizza? I told her no, she said oh well I guess no more pizza for us. I told her you all have been eating pizza for some time now without me so you can still have pizza (she's 8 that made her smile). May I ask why you feel like a failure? We all (well I have fallen off the wagon so many times it's crazy). I got down to 165bs and got back up to the 190's all because I got lazy and comfortable. Even though I have lost some of the weight it is still not enough to wear 1/4 of my clothes without looking like they belong to my 19 year old. Don't put yourself down. Look in the mirror and tell yourself all of the great qualities about YOU. And then smile, my bathroom is my space to cry and smile. After crying for awhile and my face is all red along with my eyes I ask myself do you feel better. Nope, I've just got to keep on going. Can't change what's done, but I can sure try to make the rest of the way a little smoother. PM me it you'd like, I may not be able to give you any advice but I can sure listen. Sometimes/most times an unbiased ear is all we need :hug:

Trish this is 100% true! Visiting with someone when they come to see us or we go to see them is quite different from living with them. I've lived with my share of families so I totally agree. I use to have leg cramps often when I was in my 20's not so bad in my early 30's. I just thought it was from lack of water and all the partying I use to do. I don't get them to much now but when I do, oh my goodness. I wish I didn't have any carb cravings my life would be so much easier right now. This evening going past 7-11 I wanted donuts so bad. Then I went past McD's and wanted fries. It's crazy. I feel like the lion on Madagascar everything looks like food :( Trish wow, that is heart wrenching, I'm sorry your hubby has to deal with that and you also, but like you said now you know :hug: Mother of five here and I know for a fact kids say exactly what they hear, just mini walking recorders. You know the way the repeat it that it came from an adult perspective.

LOL Ruth I was attacked by a bag of goldfish about a week ago :drool: I ate too many of course even though I shared them with my daughters. :) I've been wanting some stir fry broccoli and chicken (no rice or noodles) if I can keep myself in check all weekend I may just treat myself on Monday to a lunch portion. :) Nice reading this morning :) and nice job on the two pounds down :)

Madeleine, forgive me if I am out of line but I'm trying to get to know you all if that's ok and what's going on here if that's ok. Are you a midwife? and did someone pass away? ... I love midwives (my last four were delivered by midwives) and my condolences to you on the passing of your loved one :hug: Nice weigh in and nice reading :) Oh and may I ask who's getting married? That dress sounds interesting :) I was told to get and take calcium 500mg 2-3 times a day and fish oil 1000mg a day but haven't picked them up yet. Dr. said I didn't need the magnesium because the Metformin has helped me go from constipated and once every 4-5 days to a comfortable every other day. She said the magnesium would probably give me the runs. Sorry if TMI.

Butterfly50
06-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Rennie Thanks a bunch. The reason I feel like a failure is because it seems to go good in the am then I crash and burn in the pm . I have been working on a few things and I am gonna start them today I am gonna post here everyday even if I have to post everything I eat and do to make myself countable. Then I see that they offer free diet blogs so I am gonna start one of them and write daily everything under the sun anything thats on my mind . I have three children my oldest one is 22 he still at home my middle on she is 17 and my baby is 14. They are all good about helping me but its the aunt that is the force field here. she is the one who is a diebetic and dont live like one she eats what and when and how much she always have to have sweets and Ice Cream in the house and she is always complaining for me to bake because she cant. I will figure this out here I will see myself that I get out of this rutt..

This morning blood sugar was 104 not bad . I will be back and check in . Thanks to everyone who lent me a ear I want to thank you. I will be checking on a million times.

love2b150
06-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Bonnie I too do well in the mornings and afternoons and them my daughter will come home around 9 with a movie and want to eat also. SO I'll start snacking. Once I start it's really hard to stop and I love junk food :(. You can't control how she eats. She obviously doesn't have an issue with her sugar and just goes with the flow of how she wants to live. YOU on the other hand want to do right and you and I can. It will just take planning and a lot of resistance :) We can do it. Oh maybe when you are baking for her, have your nutritional treat handy to snack on. Just a thought :) I had a bout with snickerdoodle muffins last this wee. I didn't like the way I felt after eating a half of one the next day so that experiment was a lesson learned. Won't ever eat anything sweet like that on an empty stomach. Bonnie I'm hoping you have a nice day :hug:

my fbs was 111 this morning. That is the lowest it has been since I was diagnosed. I am so happy to see that number. :) I post on diabetic forums and read last night that someone make French toast with 1 egg, 1 Splenda, 2 tsp of vanilla and cinnamon. I decided to make it this morning with two slices of my low glycemic bread that I found. I ate it with sausage. My bs was 139 so that is another meal that went over well.

I hope everyone has a great day :)

Butterfly50
06-09-2012, 02:07 PM
This is the first entry for my blog if you like to read Great if not you dont have to.

Thanks

learning the way to a new life
I was diagnosed being a diabetic for almost a year now. I have lost and I have gained and I am so tired of the ups and downs . I have decided to take it one day at a time and start doing something about it. I have dragged out all the videos and tapes and all the important papers of recepies and stuff that I have to get started.

I have tried to sole search and see where and why I have gotten like this and I have come to the conclusion that Its all me I am the one who picks it up and places in my mouth no one else does . I guess you can say I love Junk food and it is going to be a tuff break. I need to tell myself that it is ok to fall off the wagon as long as I get back up. cause I didn’t put this weight on over night and it isnt going to come off over night either.

I can sit here and say that when I was little I used to have to look for food I was lucky to eat lunch at school cause that was my main meal for the day. Their was many a day we used to pick potatoes and stuff after the tractors plowed the field jest to have food for us to eat. As I got older and I got around food I started to consume a lot of it cause I was so worried that I wouldn’t get any tomorrow then here comes the pounds and now I have a problem with eating food like sweets and junk food and it only has made me gain weight and become a diabetic. I in no means want to become like my Grandma and be a britel Diabetic or my sister who is a diabetic and has to stay in a wheel chair . I must take charge of the diabetic and start living my life cause face it I will have food tomorrow and I will be the one accountable for putting it in my mouth. I will be back to blog more over my struggles in my journey.

fatmad
06-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Rennie: you are definitely NOT out of line. Its a pleasure to have you join us and for us to get to know you too. I am a midwife, also a nurse, (in Canada, no nurse midwives, totally independent). My uncle recently died after years of alzheimers. My oldest daughter (age 25) is getting married, in just two weeks. I also have a 20 year old daughter, now in university and living away from home, but just 30 minutes away, and we had a hard time getting along her last 2 years of high school. Its much better now with her away, we visit and get along fine.

Rennie and Bonnie: the evening snack monster is definitely a problem and mostly a learned behaviour. We all fall victim to it sometimes. I do find that eating a good supper is key, and while for some of us, a snack in the evening helps the fasting blood sugars, snack is the key and must be small. In my youth, I could eat a whole bag of chips or cookies and not gain. I had terrible eating habits, and would happily do that again. There are times I slip and over eat and eat poorly. Don't beat yourself up when it happens, but as we read here about people with successes, they don't stop their proper diet plans when they mess up, the get right back to it. So I just want to encourage you both to plan how you will handle the evenings, but having a good and filling supper, and saving a few calories or points or food from whatever plan you are following to enjoy during those evening times. And Bonnie, blogging is a good way to start to sort yourself out, keep it up if you can. I started one, but its just not my thing and has gone by the wayside.

Trish: I just wanna :hug: give you a big ole hug, and hope things will turn out right. No matter what the outcome, (even if they move back to Fla) you will both have helped her and her family out, and gotten to know those grandkids much better than ever. In time, they will mostly figure out that you and Tony did your best, and that you are lovely, loving parents and grandparents. You will always have a relationship with them, even if they are distant, and temporarily ticked off etc. But do protect yourselves from the poorhouse and eternal squabbling so your marriage can survive this.

I am thinking about lobster quite happily Ruth, what a good idea, high protein, low fat (unless we dip in a LOT of butter) and tasty too.

Rie: enjoy the fishing and the weekend.

In the morning I leave for Quebec, will take my laptop but may not have the chance to use it. thanks for all the support friends, and I always enjoy reading about everyone, so a hello to anyone I missed today.

love2b150
06-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Bonnie good for you on getting it all out. I started a blog on here a long time ago and have no idea how to get back to it. I started one on the diabetic forum also its really easy to access so I'll keep writing.

Madeleine, I think you did mention your Uncle or someone did. I'm sorry for your loss. :hug: I had an Uncle recently pass also. Our 19 year old daughter is getting married on June 26th. :) When you snack what do you typically snack on? I'm open to anything.

Butterfly50
06-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Rennie and fatmad Thanks I am feeling better . Today has went well for me not 100% but almost. I hate getting up in the am and my stomach hurting cause I am hungry so I made me a flax seed muffin tonight .

So I have been testing before and after my meals looking at getting an idea of where my sugar is and several times now I have tested and my levels are 72. Does any one else do this? and I take metformin every night. Still have to get my meals laid out . I will get back I am jest gonna give it a day at a time.

pattygirl63
06-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Madeleine Have safe trip. Will you be able to spend time with your Daddy while there? Can't remember, you may be taking him with you. Thanks for the :hug:and kind words of encouragement. I'm actually glad we decided to help Tony's DD. Regardless how things turnout, I believe we did the only thing we could do because it was the right thing to do. What happens after is up to them. At least I know DH and I love each other and this is just one of those things couple have to go through and we will be fine when it is over. My Grandmother always said "Let your conscience be your guide". I'll have no regrets and neither will DH.

Bonnie:hug: I think the blog is a great idea. I also have a problem that you and Rennie have of loving junk food and I also have had the problem of being a nighttime eater. I have stopped the junk food eating finally... or at least for this week. The lower carbs has helped a lot. I also have gone through the experience of not knowing where my next meal was coming from although not to the extent you experienced. It took me a long time to convince myself that I have food in the fridge and the freezer and if I don't have what I want, I can get it. It took me a while but I think I've gotten over that one for the most part although I must admit that sometimes when money gets low or economy gets shakey that monster does have a tendency to raise its ugly head. Hope you can work that one out as well.

Well, I told DD that I want to take her Daddy out tomorrow after church so I would like for oldest DGS to drive the girls and himself to church since I'm sure the parents won't be going because the baby is sick. She looked surprised. You know, I think they all thought that we were just 2 old people who set around doing nothing. When DH feels good, we always get out and do things. Now that they live here and with us having to stay home with the kids while they work and go to school, I think DH and I need to get out and go do things by ourselves when they are home. They have a habit of leaving at least one child with us when they go somewhere. We never get any "us" time or "alone" time. Never have the house to ourselves at all. And that is getting old. So I'm going to start making some changes so we aren't "stuck" at home all the time. If they weren't here we would have planned a trip this past spring. I am ready to take a short overnight trip, couldn't take longer since we have to be here for the kids during the week, but just an overnighter or 2 nights out for us to have some nice quiet "alone" time would be very relaxing.

Didn't mean to make this so long. Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

Butterfly50
06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Hey How are things going for everyone?? For me today has gone great I havn't been able to work out been nasty here. The hubby bought me a bike this morning so I can get out and do something different.Now if the rain was gone I would be riding my bike instead of being coop up in this house. I will be back with more happy things.

love2b150
06-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Trish not long at all. I know about the me/us time. Unfortunate for me my husband doesn't like to do much of anything. He would prefer to stay home, me cook and then he naps off and on all day. It does get boring. I'm glad that you and your DH get to have "us" time. It does make a difference. Hope you get to do it soon. :)

Bonnie glad your day is going well thus far and congrats on the bike. My husband bought me one last year. I road it a little last year but we need a hitch of some sort to get all of the bikes to the nearest trail. :)

my fbs was 143 (I bought some sweet potato chips and decided to munch on them at 9:30pm). I had a pretty good day. I had a good breakfast with egg, cheese and ham and two slices of rye/pump bread. I took my reading 25 minutes before time (had to usher this morning) my bs was 182. I know it should be less than 180 but I didn't think that was bad considering I had the bread and it was earlier. I went for my first walk since being diagnosed. It was a 40 minute leisure walk. Not bad, hope it helps.

love2b150
06-10-2012, 09:20 PM
OK I just got a log book in the mail to log my bs daily. Well in it it says

~ less than 110mg before a meal
~ less than 140mg 2 hours after meals

I had read

~ between 70-130mg fasting
~ not higher than 180mg 2 hours after meals

What do you all do? Looks like I have been totally out of range even when I thought I was doing well :(

Riemontana
06-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Hi All!

I am so sorry that I have been out of contact again. I was in a small town with a terrible internet signal last week and I have been out fishing all weekend. I am heading back out of town for the next couple of days for work and then I should be back all the time.

Trish, good for you on planning some time alone. It is so important. I know that helping the kids is difficult and they don't always seem appreciative. I am reminded of my favorite saying: "it is precisely those times when we deserve love the least that we need it the most" :hug:

Bonnie, I am proud of you for sharing your feelings here. A bike sounds like so much fun! It will be a good stress reliever, too. Feel free to private message me if i can help

Rennie, as I read your posts, it seems as if some of your readings are in range. It took me about 4 months to start getting consistent numbers. Give yourself some time to get more steady blood sugar. I really felt that keeping a food diary and a bs diary all together sure helped me to gain some confidence.

Mad, good luck with the induction level eating. I know that you will drop some belly fat in a hurry and that dress will look lovely!

Ruth, white wine with lobster is ABSOLUTELY necessary! Actually, a little wine makes my bs drop. I am very aware of that if I am out. Good luck with your planning.

Jane, Hello!

I think I mentioned everyone. If I missed someone, I am sorry. Very tired.

Rie

Ruthxxx
06-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Another week and another official weigh-in. :( I am having major trouble with food - all good stuff but too much. Being back in the wine drinking habit is not helping! I have less than three weeks before my first wee "escape" of the summer and I sure would feel better a few pounds lighter. I know it's just a number on the scale but I don't like to feel my new pants getting tighter.

Patty, I am so glad you are standing up on your hind legs and taking "me and my man" time. It must be so very difficult having all that stress around. "this too shall pass" but survival skills are needed in the meantime.

Love2B - sweet potato chips! We can't buy them up here and it's just as well or I'd have another addiction. In time you will get a handle on this BGL thing and won't find it as stressful.

Rie, fishing sounds so wonderful! I live between two lakes and, since I sold my boat, don't get out on the lake to do that. I usually do catch and release since I'm not that fond of fish. It's not because I can't clean them - for a city girl, I'm an expert on that.

Bonnie, dear Bonnie, your blog entries really touched me. I can't imagine being short of food but do know that it is a reality. My kids talk about my first days as a single parent when we had oatmeal for breakfast and then cold fried oatmeal for supper but culled potatoes tops that! The bike sounds like a fabulous idea. Enjoy!

Mad, I know you are in La Bell Province today. Too bad you can't make a wee side-trip north of Kingston. Thanks for the reminder about wine dropping BGL - I must check that out sometimes. Maybe you can join me to monitor?

Time to crank up my day officially and get organized for the gym. I'm going to try for a lower carb day to get rid of this bloated feeling. Canadian bacon and scrambled eggs maybe? No way I can do Atkins induction with the local strawberries around!

Raising my coffee mug to a good week.

pattygirl63
06-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Had a good weekend. Set aside time to watch a movie as a family Friday & Saturday night. DH and I went out for breakfast after church. Youngest DGD asked me why and I told her I was taking grandad out on a grandad/nannie breakfast date. She liked that and said "Grandad deserves it". Then we made plans that next week for Father's Day we would take Grandad and Richard out to Ryan's after church. The girls will decorate and make a cake. Everyone seems to be excited about that.

I think I've been going through some "spiritual" growth. Told a friend at church that they would probably hear a testimony out of what I've gone through. I woke up yesterday morning and it was like the Lord was reminding me of a lot of things I had forgotten. When I married my 2nd hubby, I instantly became the mother of 3. I remember as we went through tough times that my Mama would tell me "Love is the Key". Wish I could say this miraculously came to me, but came from a recent sermon I caught on tv. I've been going through some soul searching and I've decided love is a choice. Also remembered an incident that happended when 2nd hubby and I moved into the country. We had a well for water and not long after we purchased the house and moved in the well went dry/caved in or something and we had to haul water in while they drilled a new well. You get a lot of favors when your hubby is a cop and there was a farmer who loaned us for free a huge tank and DH worked out a deal with the city and he would go get water in the tank for us to have water for baths etc. But I remember when I saw the farmer in town after we had returned the huge tank. I asked him how much we owed him for the use of the water tank and he said "You don't owe me a cent". I told him there must some way we could repay him and he taught me how "country people" do things. He said, "The way you repay me is when you see someone else have a need, you just help them with their need". I learned that country people greet new comers with a welcome visit and they always have a gift of homemade jam or something. I learned that country people help each other without expecting to be paid back or making you feel like you owe them something because they do it from the heart. I suddenly realized, I lost that somewhere along the way.

DH and I talked yesterday. We never knew if we were supposed to do this or not, but we did what we thought was right. DD will get her nursing degree and that is a good thing. I see a lot of things they should have learned from all this that we may have been a hindrance rather than a help so they still may have to learn those things and we will not be able to nor should we be the answer when they happen. However, for now, we decided that we ride this out and do not allow it to destroy our marriage or our relationship. I've learned where I have to draw lines and I do not cross them and I cannot allow them to cross them either. As DH wife, I will gladly be the Mother figure to his DD and Nannie to Grands, but I am not taking on Mommy/Daddy responsibilities to grands when they are home. Tony and I have decided to spend time with them, but they also have to respect "our" time to be alone. We will help them when we can, but we will not allow them to drive us to the poor house. We know the day will come when they will move... will they go back to FL, we don't know. But we will have done what we can and the rest will be up to them and we will trust that God will take care of it all because we did what we thought He excpected of us. I see DH feeling bad again (maybe ulcer) and I will not allow this to make him sick again.

So over all, everything is going good because it is good between Hubby and me.

Butterfly50
06-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Ruth Thanks for taking the time and reading my post. Yes I did have a hard life and that was jest a piece of it I have lived in a camp ground for 6 months cause my mother didnt feel the need to pay rent mean while all our possessions were being taking to the dump by our previous landlord. My mother wasn't much of a mother when I was little so I grew up not to expect much. My Mother passed away in 1990 from colan cancer and I always said that god would see to her when its her time and he did before she died she had a clear view of what she did to us children ( She had 12) and how wrong she was . But the past is the past and I know I must move on with the future . I all way tell everyone that what is done is done I have to be the one to change the future with my children .

Things for me today are going good here I woke up and my sugar was 89 and I tested 1 and 1/2 hours later and it was 135 . I had a Banana and 1/2 cup of Greek dannon yogurt. I sprinkled this Nature's path Organic Pumpkin Flax Granola with flax plus I took Dried cranberries and chopped a half bag and added to the bag of granola and I sprinkle a little on my yogurt it is wonderful add some texture to the yogurt.

Have to get ready to take my daughter to the dr and Hopefully will have time to get a walk in this evening. I know she will enjoy going for a bike ride with me this evening if the rain stays away it is listed for this whole week.

I hope everyone is having a good day will be back later Thanks for all the responses I do appreciate all the offer's to pm you guys. Till later

pattygirl63
06-11-2012, 03:02 PM
I just want to thank everyone on this thread for being such a super support group. It is wonderful how we can all share with each other our feelings and know we are accepted and get encouragement at the same time.

Rie You have been missed and we'll be glad to have you back regularly.

Ruthie I'm having to cut back almost to Induction to keep down the cravings. Darn food just tastes so good. I read that women over 60 stop dieting. Well, I don't plan to be a statistic.

Bonnie :hug:You truly have been through the worst of it, but you are very wise to stop the craziness with "you" so it doesn't pass down to the next generation. Also glad to see you don't want to go down the same diabetic road others have in your family. I feel exactly the same way you do about that. :hug:Prayers and good thoughts coming your way. Hope you have a great day.

Rennie, Mad, Jane and others:wave: Hello

Have a Marvelous Monday everyone.

love2b150
06-11-2012, 06:44 PM
fbs was 151. This made me mad because I ate right, I walked, and I got just a little less than 8 hours sleep. I did everything right. And I'm back in the high numbers.

Hi Rie, I use to log onto my fitness pal but haven't done so in a while. I wish I had some place I could log into and get net carbs. That would be truly helpful. Yesterday I did everything right and still failed. :( Your town out of town sounds so relaxing I need one of those weekends :) I said the other day, Calgon take me away and the kids looked at me like "what" :lol:

Ruth I can't wait to be less stressed about this. It's so disappointing when I log onto my morning monitoring thread on another site and see everyones seventy-something. I'm happy for them but I wish I could get a number close to it 90's would make me happy. :) I don't know if I have said this before or not but I've had two close family members die from diabetic complications and the thought of not being able to do for my children or not being here scared me like crazy. My 8 year old is such a burst of energy today we shot a few hoops that really made her day (mommy can't shoot). I can't miss those times. Sorry for the sob story, thanks for listening. Hope you had a great day :hug:

Trish I love Ryan's :drool: I fully believe that things will work in you and Tony's favor. :hug:

Bonnie you sound really good, I'm glad to hear that in your post (if that makes sense). I thought bananas and yogurt were off limits for diabetics. I would love to have a banana and a Greek yogurt :drool: that would be a treat to me after these last 3 weeks. :)

Butterfly50
06-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Rennie I eat Greek yogurt alot or I eat the light and fit vanillia that is the only flavor I will eat. I need a weekend away too With me all by myself sounds like a good energizer . I know what you are saying about being happy I am feeling a whole lot better.

pattygirl63 Thanks I have had a load in my lifetime I would never want my children to go threw what I have and Hope they never will.

As it stand come back from the dr with my DD and it is storming so bad our streets are ankle deep I know that cause my DD went out and stood in the middle of the road. So their went my bike ride I will see what I can do tomorrow. Although I will be baby sitting the baby tomorrow Grandma and mom has to work but I will only have her from 12 to 6 sounds good to me.

Thinking of cooking Swai fish tomorrow any suggestions. We usually do talipa but they were out of it. So I want to say I made a good choice tonight we had dinner and after dinner they broke out the Ice cream I rejected it totally when I thought of the ice cream the first thing I thought was how many calories is that I would be eating I will save them for a snack later I usually take my Metforum about 8 I get me a snack eat half take it and then eat the other half so it wont upset my stomach.

Well I have some sorting of ebooks to do since my hubby is going to get me a kindle fire for our 26 anniversary on the 29th of this month. Will check back later

I hope everyone is doing well.

love2b150
06-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Bonnie the Metformin use to make me quite nauseous but someone told me to take it after my meal not with it like the doctor said. And wouldn't you know it no more nausea :) I think I saw that fish at Aldi. I had never heard of it so I didn't buy it. Let me know how it turns out. I like to put my fish on the grill, comes out nice and flaky :) And Happy early Anniversary and Congrats on the Kindle :)

I took a 65 minute walk :) I'm progressing let's hope I can keep this going :crossed:

... gotta tell you all this ... I am sitting here on the sofa and I get this whiff of orange Hostess cupcakes mind you kids are sleeping, oldest is out and hubby is at work ... so where did that come from. I think it's a horrible craving that I am refusing to give into (don't worry I don't have any here, and I wouldn't dare mess up my exercise by going to the 7-11 and it's way too late) My son made brownies but I don't like brownie texture too mushy. I will only eat the edge that is hard and since I've been diagnosed the kids now eat them first :D Gotta love them. They use to leave the edge for Mommy. Hubby would say why didn't ya'll wash that pan, They'd say that's for Mommy ... looked like they were done. Ok that's my silly for the evening, Good night all, pleasant dreams, rest well.

Ruthxxx
06-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Great BGL this morning but the weight is a solid 185! I swear hat the pounds are growing tap roots now. Maybe when you lose them and then gain them back, they hang on more! All I can do is keep on truckin'.

Butterfly50
06-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Hey ladies jest popped in to say all is well my sugar was 102 this morning .

Rennie I am cooking the swai tonight I looked it up and it is catfish. I am going to try baking it. Will let you know how it turns out..

pattygirl63
06-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Rennie and Bonnie I think I've seen that fish at Aldi's but never tried it. DH eats nothing but Cod or Long John Silvers.

This will be a quick flyby. Today was my long day with the kids, but I had a little talk with the oldest DGS and also later with the DGDs and I think I just may have got through to them. Doesn't matter if I didn't, but we did have some really good GMother/GChildren time regardless.

I'm not hungry much right now so I certainly hope it stays that way and that the scales will be nice to me as well.

love2b150
06-12-2012, 07:52 PM
fbs 117 getting close to target. :) I like that. Went for my evening stroll but for only 30 minutes maybe a little longer. My friend had dinner in the oven and had to get back :)

Ruth good for you on the BGL :) I am a true believer that when you lose and regain it sticks around for good while. At least it does with me. I am finally in the low 180's again. I so hope to see the next decade this month. I have been in the 180's for a very very long time.

Bonnie, do let me do let me know how it turns out :)

Trish I didn't know what kind of fish that was so I passed it by. I like fried whiting but only have it when my Mom would come over and that's no more :( (on the fish) my Mom still comes over :). I like Haddock, Cod, Bass, and Rock fish also. I don't like the way catfish looks raw so I would never cook it :) Silly I know :) Glad you and the grands had some good quality time :). I don't when I'm not hungry in the evening when I know I should be eating dinner then later on I'm about to lose it because I can't eat, smh. Can't when sometimes :)

Ruthxxx
06-13-2012, 06:42 AM
Just checking in to keep myself honest. Yesterday was not a stellar day as I got sucked into a burger for lunch with a friend. At least I skipped the fries. My gym buddies bailed this morning but I am still planning to go and do my thing. Weight is still 185 but I WILL GET IT DOWN! I'm very grateful that my BGL seems to be stable.

Butterfly50
06-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Fish the was great I baked it with salt pepper and some cheyanne pepper and then topped it off with some light sour cream and dill as a dip everyone like it they all said it tasted like talipa so it is a winner will make is again I thought it was better then the talipa so will be doing it again the pieces are so big that we split them in half.

Good news son jest got the results from his ged and he has passed!!!!

love2b150
06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
fbs 125 :( ridiculous because the dog woke me up at 4 and I took my bs at 4:24a.m. it was 102 ... what gives :shrug:

Ruth, I'll bet that burger was good though. I don't know that I would have been able to pass on the fries. They are my true weakness, along with rolls :drool: But :bravo: to you for doing it :high:. Sorry your gym buddies bailed but it's great that you were still motivated to go :high: Good job on your BGL's :)

Bonnie the fish sounds good. :)

Trish, Rie, Madeleine Hope all is well :hug:

pattygirl63
06-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Quick flyby as I head to bed. I'll be back in the morning. Good day here.

Ruthxxx
06-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Weight down a smidge and BGL still good at 4.7. Realized yesterday that I AM getting into better shape as I was able to work for two hours straight in the garden, digging and weeding the wild area. Last year I could barely do a half hour! More of that on the agenda for today.

pattygirl63
06-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Ruthie So glad things are getting better for you. It is good you can see and feel the progress. I'm going to have to work harder at getting into better shape.

DSIL is off work today. Ticked DH because I was in ready to go to bed early and he came in and asked me "Did you know Richard doesn't work tomorrow?" I said, "No, no one ever told me. I was told that he was working Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun". Made Tony mad because he realized they weren't going to tell me. I wouldn't know it now if Tony hadn't asked him. I told Tony that it is his daughter and it is his place to say something to her.

I woke up early this morning so I brought my laptop in here and so I can be on it without having to babysit. Tony told them way back when they 1st came here that I am not babysitting when one or both of them are home. The oldest DGD only wants to be on computer in chatrooms, on you tube or sleeping... very lazy. I've started getting firm with the children. I told Tony... what are they going to do, get mad and move? I have no control over adults, but I do have control of some things that concern me personally and especially when it comes to the kids. I finally told them yesterday that it is not my responsibility to clean up and pick up after them. She will not do her "one" chore unless I go into their room and make her go do it which I had to do at 2am this morning. So I told her that if I had to tell her one more time to do her chore that I am packing up my desktop computer which I chose to let them use when they moved in and I am putting it in storage until they move. She has lived here for almost a year and if she cannot fulfill the one chore that I've assigned to her, then she will no longer have the privilege of using my computer. I'm really trying not to say much to DH lately because I notice that when I'm quiet, that he is starting to say things to me. Example, noticing they don't have the decency to tell me DSIL is off today. I don't remember what was going on the other night, but suddenly DH said "You know they have a lot of nerve. They really have it pretty easy. They sit upstairs and so whatever they want to do and pay nothing to live here and we are the ones who take care of their kids." He has a temper which I've only seen it a few times, but his DD knows he has it because it was one of the 1st things his mother warned me about. So I can see that it is taking it's toll and stirring up underneath and if I stay out of it, he will finally take care of it himself. DSIL is making a trip to FL next month to go to a wedding and see his son and he can't take care of his family here... we are the ones taking care of them. I don't think that is setting well with DH. He is already making little statements to his grandkids... I figure it won't be long until he has a lot to say to DD & DSIL.

Not sure what is happening today. DH talked about us going to NC. I put a thought in his head that I sure would love to go somewhere just the 2 of us for just a couple of days. He wants to go see his DS and grands in IN, but I don't see how we could be gone that long since there would be no one to take care of the kids. So it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Life is interesting to say the least.:dizzy:

Y'all have a great day.:)

Riemontana
06-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Hello Friends!

fbs at 85 this morning. my weight is still high and stable. My eating isn't perfect but I still think that I should be losing weight. I am talking to my dr today about the struggles.

Trish, I am just thinking.... As you may know, my ds and gds live in my basement while he is attending school. When I have plans, I simply inform ds and it is his responsibility to arrange for child care. Perhaps it would be good for you and Tony to simply take a trip. Just inform DD when you will be gone (as a courtesy) It might work.

Ruth, :carrot: Yay, this is about health! I have had the same realization that I can get around much better. So proud of you and it is a nice feeling to know that your strength / body are not holding you back.

Rennie, that bs is probably related to dawn effect or something. Our body raises bs a little in the morning to give us energy to get up and moving. You are doing great!

Bonnie, I really like swai. I think it tastes like sweet catfish. We mostly bake it with various seasonings. I like it with cajun seasoning, finished with a little mashed garlic or just lemon. Yours sounds great!

Trish, Mad and others..... Have a great day!

Rie

love2b150
06-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks Rie it was higher this morning :(

my fbs was 142 this morning. I'm gonna have to talk to the doctor if it keeps going up. I woke up at 4:22a.m. and couldn't fully go back to sleep. I have to be at work at 1p.m. and I don't get off until 9p.m. Pray for me Ladies.

Hope to catch up when I get home.

Have a great day Everyone :)

Butterfly50
06-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Everything here is going good sorry have not been able to write for a few days but been busy watching the baby. So I went on a walk this afternoon it was only a mile but I think I am going to go for a bike ride later when it cools off. hubby had to take it back and exchange it cause something was wrong with the wheel. I think I am going to go and take me a nap for a while r jest read my book for a while. More later..

pattygirl63
06-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Rie- I am going to start making plans even on my own and leave everyone to their own thing. 18 yr old got mad at me today because I was trying to get the living room cooled down. And we had words. When he returned and apologized, I let loose on him and hubby and I'm not sure who else was around. I feel bad because I want to be a Christian example about everything and yet, I feel I have to demand some respect.

I let them know that I had places to go and things I'm going to start doing with friends. Told DGS that he can start taking care of the baby and his sisters because I'm going to start going out to eat and doing things with my friends. I have friends who are always wanting me to do something with them but I don't do it because I'm busy babysitting. After telling them how I felt, I also let them know if they couldn't treat me with the respect that I deserve that I can move out and go where there are people who will because they obviously don't deserve me and all I do for them. Women in my church told DD when they met her that she was really blessed because they sure wouldn't/couldn't let their kids move in with them with or without their kids. I don't know if I was right or wrong, only know it just got to the point that I couldn't take it any more. I just don't think a person should be treated so disrespectfully in their own home.

DH asked DGS if DSIL is working tomorrow? We were told that he is. However, I knew I heard DD tell therapist the other day that she is off. So I asked and sure enough, she has no class tomorrow. I was a little nicer to her, but I let her know that I don't appreciate the fact that no one bothered to tell me Richard was off today. I asked her, "Was anyone going to even bother to tell me that she is off tomorrow?" I told her they need to start letting me know when he is working and when he isn't. I've decided that if they can't have the decency to tell me then they better get a babysitter, because it isn't going to be me.

I'm going to stay and keep trying to make things work here but I have made up my mind that I'm not going to be walked on any more. Life is too short to live what is left of it this way. Already told DH that I have plans tomorrow, but don't have a time yet. I know him. When he has to get up and do all that I do because I'm gone; he will feel just like I do and then he just might make some demands himself.

Eating has been great today. Haven't really been very hungry. I think I've dropped another lb. and fbswas a lot better this morning. Will see if it stays here until Sunday or Monday before changing ticker.

pattygirl63
06-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Good Morning Ladies

DH and I talked and he doesn't want me to leave but doesn't know what to do about his kids. I can understand that one. I reminded him that if I do leave that he will have to sell the house because half is mine. I gave up everything I had and he spent every dime I got from my home which wasn't much. So I'm not leaving. I'm going to try. However, I am taking control of "my life". I got up this morning and everything was a mess in my living room and kitchen and the message I got loud and clear is they don't intend to change anything. That is fine and that is their choice. I have a choice as well.

My previous hubby's Mother taught me a "whole" lot. She always knew her hubby was unfaithful, but couldn't prove it. One day she got her proof. He would go off for days even weeks. I tried to get her to leave him and she told me... "I'm not going to leave and let some other woman have half of what I've worked for all these years". Besides he was sick and found out that he had cancer and she said that it would be wrong for her to leave while he was sick. She stayed with him and rode it out with him but I later learned that she never "lived" with him as a husband once she knew that the woman he brought into their home as a friend was his lover. When he died, she was left with enough money to live comfortably the rest of her life.

So I told hubby that I love him and I want this marriage to work, but I'm not doing everything any more. I am going to "have" a life. DD is home and I'm doing my laundry and the few things I need to do. Then I'm going to go walk around at Wal-Mart and maybe the $ store. I've got to get to moving around more. I've decided that if everyone is going to waste money, they aren't going to waste mine. I'm going to make an appointment to see the doc, but still may wait until August as I'm doing some new things that I think will improve my health #s. I have a couple of friends who have been asking me to join the Y with them and start exercising. I've said I couldn't afford it, but maybe it is one of those things that I can't afford NOT to do. So I'm going to make arrangements to do that next week with one of them. Another friend has been wanting me to join the Eastern Stars and I think I'm going to do that to. I need a life and I need an active life and I'm going to take it. I just might even lose weight and get healthy at the same time.

DH says all this is making him sick again. If he is willing to sit here and let them drain him financially and ruin his health in the process because he hasn't got what it takes to at least talk to them, then that is his choice. However, my choice is that I want to live and I want to live healthy. If I'm going to end up a widow again because he won't fight for his, then I've got to do what I've got to do.

Thanks for letting me sound off.

Riemontana
06-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Hello all! Happy Friday!

fbs at 91 today. I think it is because I got very little sleep last night.:( I had a nice visit with my endo doc yesterday except for the fact that he wants me to have a scope procedure to examine my stomach. Bummer. Of course, the chronic stomach pain is a bummer too.

I did more than an hour of walkitout today. I plan to do some outdoor work and then spend some quality time playing with dgs on the wii later.

Trish, I am happy to hear you making plans to have scheduled activities and for standing up for yourself. If I may suggest.... make the rule that DD must ASK you for babysitting on a schedule. If they "forget", then leave your house even if you don't have plans. It won't kill her to miss a day of class because she failed to arrange for a sitter. It will only take a couple times of this for the behavior to change. It worked for me.

Rennie, I think it would be good to talk to your doctor or nutritionist. Do you have a scheduled appointment? It is often good to take a food diary along with your bs diary. It will help to find the patterns.

Ruth, how is that garden doing? I hope things are going well for you.

Bonnie, good for you. Every little bit helps. I was wondering.... who's baby are you watching? Keep coming here... It will help

Mad, I hope things are going well for you and that you are enjoying the summer.

Well, I am off to work and play. Enjoy the day!

Rie

Ruthxxx
06-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Checking in late after gym and running around the county for banking, groceries and dropping things off at the schools. Just has a delicious lunch of Greek yogurt and strawberries and am going to get started on the pies I need for tomorrow's fish fry. If I get them done today, I can garden in the early morning cool when Donna comes to clean for me. I've been using the fake knee a lot while digging in the wild area and it crabbed a lot when I was treading the mill this morning.

Just got a call inviting me for BBQ ribs tonight and I refused! I think a good fairy has inhabited my brain!

Trish, good for you in standing up for yourself. I know you are very spiritual and understand that respecting yourself and your needs is essential to being a good person. Do join the Y and the Eastern Star! Maybe your DH will stand up on his hind legs and deal with the kids who really should be HIS problem, not yours.

Now I'll shut up!

pattygirl63
06-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys for the support and suggestions. Yes, I am going to do it all. I lay in bed this morning and remembered a time in my life, I was about 46 yrs old, when I closed down emotionally to the point that I was so afraid of EVERYTHING. One day I woke up and realized that I was afraid to even get in the car and drive up to the bank drive thru window. I didn't know why but I was terrified of just doing a bank transaction. And I couldn't believe that I was gripped with such fear. I was never that kind of a person, instead I've always been the one who was out going not really afraid of anything. I was the one who would go out side to see what the noise was that I heard. Well as soon as I realized what I was feeling, I got dressed and started getting out of the house and the first place I went was to the bank. Not long after that I went to work in a day care and from there went to work as an office manager in a car wash that a friend of mine owned.

When I met DH and decided to marry him, I worked 2 jobs, taught a youth class at church and a friend and I had a small band and we went to nursing homes and sang for them besides all my other activities in the singles group. So I don't know when I became that "scared" person again, but this morning I realized that somehow I have allowed myself to get back into that fear again. I'm not going to go back to being that fearful life. So I called my friend and went by the shop to get an Avon catalog and then went to Wal-Mart. Didn't need much but just needed to walk around and be active. My friend told me that she is going to pick up guest passes for me for next week for the Y. She is already a memeber. We plan to go next week. She said they have water aroebics at the Y in Ft. Mill not far from here and wants to go. I can't swim but have always wanted to do water aroebics. Who knows, I might even get healthy enough to work again. I wouldn't mind working part time some where and get a little more money coming in. I think at almot 69 yrs of age that it is time I planned a future especially since I intend to be around for quite a while.:)

I can't believe how the eating is going. I forgot to check fbs but it has to be getting better. I am eating more like Intuitive Eating (NOT ON PURPOSE) and I'm eating what I want, but I'm only eating healthy because healthy is what I want. I've started listening to my body and when I eat something and my body doesn't seem to like it (example, experience heartburn), I just decide I won't eat that any more.

Ruthie, Rennie, Bonnie, Rie, Mad and others:wave:

Well, I hope everyone has a nice weekend. I intend to.

Ruthxxx
06-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Patty! GO GIRL! I wish we lived closer so we could do stuff together.

Good FBGL this morning - I'm glad I didn't do any sampling when I made pies yesterday. In order to fit them all into my fridge (I made eight instead of six), I had to clear out some produce and realize I have not been eating enough salads. Some of the refugees went into the veggie soup freezer bag. I wish I wanted soup more in the summer. Must check out cold soups.

Fish fry tonight which won't tempt me too much. The caterer is well known in the area and is doing cod fillets. I may settle for one piece and pass my other one to someone who wants three. There will be a delicious cole slaw for sure and it's easy to pass up pie when you've made it yourself. I just hope nobody made pecan!

Enjoy your weekend. Hug your father if he's around - and if not, hug the good memories.

Riemontana
06-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Hello Everyone!

fbs at 85 this morning. I didn't get in much of a workout because I have the little dgs. He was working til the wee hours this morning and I told him that he could sleep in a little for his birthday. Dgs and I spent the evening finishing up the planting and playing on the wii.

Today is a cookout for ds birthday at a local pond. We will be fishing with the little kids. It should be a good time.

Go Trish! :carrot:

Ruth, good job on not sampling the pies. The fish fry would be hard for me to resist. I love it. One of my tricks: EVERY supper must start with a small green salad. I get fresh veggies in and I think it helps me to be satisfied with smaller portions of other food. Of course, my "salads" are often simply some chopped romain with a scant bit of dressing. Also, when I am craving some treat, my rule is that I eat a bowl of lettuce first. It works.

To everyone else: Have a great day!

Rie

pattygirl63
06-16-2012, 01:58 PM
A quick flyby. I got my hair done this morning and beautician and I are going to a movie when she gets off work. Will meet her and her dgs at 5. Will take my bottle water and will plan for a small popcorn. Haven't had that much to eat today so I can.

Ruthie Good job staying away from tasting the pies and for having a plan for later.ch y

Catch y'all later.

Ruthxxx
06-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Fly-by this morning. I skipped testing and weighing since my four-legged terrors wanted out RIGHT NOW OR ELSE! Remembered after I'd had coffee and my smoothie.

Probably just as well since I did have some fish last night - it was absolutely yummy. Too bad it was battered and deep fried. I had a few chips too - first since February! Managed to avoid the pie although Cathy made real old-fashioned butterscotch. Today will definitely be a clean eating day.

I'm making a cauliflower and broccoli salad and will follow Rie's suggestion and have it over greens before each meal. I'm loaded with strawberries and some lovely NJ blueberries so there is no excuse not to eat healthy.

Be gentle with yourself today and remember "If you don't look after your body, where will you live?"

Butterfly50
06-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Hey everyone well I am gonna have to start all over here again tomorrow morning Cause it has been one **** of a week.

So the hubby's aunt 's daughter left her baby's daddy and things were going ok I watched the baby for them tues- thurs . well thursday night she decided that she wanted to move out of his house so hubby contacted his poice friend and asked what they could and couldn't do . They went and rented a uhaul friday morning and we went to their house and loaded up everything she wanted and we left while they were unloading her stuff at a friends house she is staying at He came beating on the door. I called her to make sure it was ok and known to her that he was their for the baby he came in cussing my 17 and 14 year old. So I went out cussing him he had my blood pressure up so bad that I thought I was gonna have to go to the er to get it down . I called my hubby and told him what happened and he called the boy and laid into him . So needless to say we are on a roller coaster of things happening and my last 4 days have been a big bad circle .so I must get back into my routine tomorrow and do what I need to do.

Well anyway thanks for letting me blow steam off here. Will be back to see how all is doing.

Riemontana
06-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Hello Chat friends!

I had a great day yesterday at the pond with a cookout and fishing with little kids in my family. I kept hooking little bluegills and handing the rod to them so they could bring in the fish. They would then pose for pictures with the fish they caught - wearing big grins all the while. :D

Fbs was at 76 this morning. I was surprised because I certainly ate my fill of broccoli salad (with raisins) and I didn't sleep well. I was still awake at 4am. I took a tylenol pm and slept until 10. It was frustrating because I was achy and to tired to work out this morning. I love weekends when working out for a long time is a luxury without a schedule. Oh well.

Bonnie, what a lot of stress! I hope things get better soon. Take care of you, ok?

Ruth, I would have given in to the fish, also. I really enjoy it. At least you didn't have the pie ;)

Mad, Rennie, and others.... Have a great day!

Rie

pattygirl63
06-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Bonnie:hug:What a horrible experience. Sure hope things calm down for you. This is a great group for allowing the venting and it helps sometimes to just get it all out. Here's hoping for a better week.

Rie I can see you doing that with the little ones and I know they will remember that experience with you forever. I know you missed your workout, but I'm also sure you must have needed the rest.

Ruthie I bet we could really enjoy doing some things together. I forget to check my fbs sometimes. I did take it this morning although I knew it would be high because of the time of the morning that I was taking it, but took it any way. I hope to join and start at the 9:15 class at the y in the morning. Just wanted a fbs starting point to keep track of progress.

Well, things are a little strained around here as I'm aware that everyone is upset, but I believe it is going to be better in the long run. They are learning that I don't make threats... I give warnings. Warned oldest that if she refused to do her one and only chore that she would lose the privilege of using my desktop. She did and I did. I couldn't take it from the room because the youngest DGD does everything I ask her to do. So I allowed the pc to be left in the room for her with the understanding that if the oldest ever uses it that it will be removed. That way hopefully they will learn that good behavior will be rewarded with privileged and bad behavior will not. They will also learn that when I say something that they can trust that "if I say it,I mean it" so listen up and/or pay the consequences.
Have a schedule for next week. DSIL is off Tuesday and Wednesday this week and DD is off on Friday. DGS will have to get up and take care of the baby tomorrow because I have an appt to meet my beautician at the YMCA Wellness Center to join and hopefully make the 1st class at 9:15 am.

Friend didn't get off work in time to make it to the movie, but I followed your advice Rie... I had told them I was leaving at a certain time but did not tell them where I was going. So when they decided they were going out for a while they had to take all the children. And when they came home, I was gone because I went shopping for a Father's Day gift for DH. DH and I have decided that we are going to ride this out and we are not going to let it put a wall between us or destroy our marriage. We went to church this morning and took DH out to Golden Corral for Father's Day dinner. I had planned to pay for it, but she payed for it.

I decided to sit back and say very little because I see DH doing some things differently. We went in her van to the restaurant and I was amazed that DH opened and closed the door for me. They know we have certain times that we watch certain shows. Last night we were watching our regular Saturday night program and she came in to ask us about something. The phone rang so I was on the phone with my DD who lives in AR. So he and his DD are talking and all of a sudden I heard him say... "this is the most important part of this show and we are missing it". She apologized and walked away. I left the room so he could hear the show and I could talk to my DD so I have no idea what happened after that. I took over the chore the oldest girl refuses to do and when the kids leave the doors open or a light on, we say nothing. Either DH or I get up and take care of it. I figure if I step back... only do what is necessary for me to do and start living my life that eventually DH will take care of the rest. I'm not sure it is going to take long either.

Well, that is the update.

BTW What kind of inexpensive shoes do y'all recommend wearing for exercising? I hope to get 3 days of exercising in this week, but may have to wait until I get some good exercise shoes.

pattygirl63
06-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Good experience about an hour ago.

I gave DD money to take DSIL out for Father's Day because he wasn't with us today since he had to work. She didn't want to take it... said that we do enough. I cried and told her that I love her and that I have no problem with them being here. And that I had been saving the money for quite a while to take all of us out for Father's Day. He daddy didn't want to go out again and I knew she couldn't afford to pay at Golden Corral for her Daddy and all of us and then pay for her hubby and everyone tonight. I put the money in a Father's Day card Tony had made for him and told her she couldn't refuse a gift. I told her that I love her and the children and that I do not have a problem with them being here. I told her, "All I'm asking y'all to do is to help me conserve and save on the utilities so we don't end up paupers when this is all over". Told her I would love for us to come out of this with a Mother/Daughter type relationship and closer not further apart. She cried and I cried and we hugged. I noticed one of the kids went out of the house and left the front door open and she went immediately to close it. So maybe we can all work together and make this work after all. I feel encouraged.

love2b150
06-17-2012, 08:43 PM
fbs yesterday 134 ... did record my foods so not sure why. Other than lack of sleep here lately. We have a ton going on.

this morning was 151. We had a couples function at church and there was nothing there that was suitable for me from breakfast to lunch. Then my friends daughter graduated yesterday and there was plenty of food there. I had a small piece of watermelon and a small piece of grilled chicken. The rest of what I ate was a complete :nono:

TOM started yesterday a week early

Bonnie good for you on the walk :) Wow Bonnie just when you were getting things in order, I'm so sorry you had to go through that :hug:

Trish good for you on all that you are doing FOR YOU :high: I'm sorry to hear about your time of fear, but I am glad to hear that you overcame it and refuse to allow it to defeat you again. :hug: Trish sorry you didn't get to the movies. But it really sounds like things like things are working in your favor. What chore is it that your granddaughter refuses to do? How old is she? You may want to put that one back in to the plan and show her that you are no longer waiting for her it must be done by her. Just a thought.

Rie I use to log everything into MFP then I stopped. I found MyPlateD recently but I have only used that a couple of times. I know it helps so I don't know what keeps me from logging on a regular basis. I don't have an appointment to see my doctor in the near future. Everyone that I have talked to on Diabetes Forum says that it takes Metformin a while to work fully so I don't want to seem hasty and end up having to pay out of the pocket. It will be a month on the 21st that I have been taking Metformin so I'll give it more time with full proper eating. Rie I use to start my meals with a salad or if I wanted something to eat I would make a salad but I haven't done that in over a year. I'm sure it will help to start it up again :D The birthday party sounds great :) I have a sonogram on Thursday to see what's going on with my lower abdominal area. Hope they can tell me something.

Ruth good for you on the fish fry, I love fried fish. Thank goodness it's my Mom that cooks it so I don't get it that often. She doesn't come out here like she use to and says her apartment is to small to fry fish. And I sure will hug my Memories of my DAD, he was the best :)

Madeleine I hope all is well :hug:

Ruthxxx
06-18-2012, 06:01 AM
Good FBGL this morning despite a decadent weekend. Weight is still up there but ... Feeling a tad sore and stiff this morning - guess I went at the garden a bit too hard yesterday. I am off to the gym at 7:30 to work it out.

Back later to read.

Riemontana
06-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone.

fbs up a little at 94 this morning. Probably the china buffet :( and a poor night sleep. I don't have much time this morning but I wanted to wish everyone a good Monday. Later!

Rie

pattygirl63
06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
I forgot to check my fbs today. But I am very happy to say that I joined the YMCA Wellness Center this morning. I couldn't afford for DD to go with me as it was going to cost me an added $31.00. So only joined myself.

I told the guy I how I had let myself get down and why no family details except for the crowding so I have no room to exercise. Told him if I went ahead and joined that I wouldn't be making excuses not to and that I wanted to start slow and build up my joints & muscles since exercise usually makes them stronger... explained some of my experience with walking at the collesium for DGS graduation. So he started me with about 10 minutes + a 5 min cooldown on the incumbent bike (I'll take something to read tomorrow). I told him that if I had been at home that I probably would have quit at one point, but of course I kept going there and I was really amazed at how much better I felt by continuing. You know it's that point where suddenly where you aren't sure you can keep going and all of a sudden this wonderful "energy" shows up and you could go forever:dizzy:. I think I will enjoy that one. I did what I think was called a leg crunch to stretch the legs and strengthen them and I was amazed that I could do the 12 count. I felt it but I didn't have the problems I thought I would have. Felt more awkward getting on the machine than anything else. Then he had me do 2 machines that strengthens the shoulder joints and upper arms etc. I did the 12 count on the 1st one, but he stopped me at 10 count on the last one. I told him that I had been counting and I knew he had cut me some slack. He just smiled. He said we will add more machines next time and I told him I will be back tomorrow. He said Monday is their busiest day and that less people are there between noon and 2 pm so that is good to know because I can put the baby down for a nap and go to the Y while he is sleeping. I plan to go Mon thru Fri. Although I could go on Sat since it is right around the corner from beauty shop, I'm not sure I will shoot for 6 days. I left there and went to Wal-Mart because I needed them to check my cell phone because I called 2 different people and they couldn't hear me, but I guess it was their phone as mine was working fine. Couldn't get them to hear me from my home phone either so maybe it was their phones and not mine. So I picked up a few groceries getting some more walking in and I still feel great.

Another big thing I've already noticed is that I've been experiencing a little bit of neuropathy in my feet lately. After using the bike and the leg cruncher, that has let up a wwwhhhoooolllot. So I am really thrilled with the outcome and proud of myself for making the decision to go.

Love you guys and appreciate your encouragment.

pattygirl63
06-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Didn't change the ticker. Ended up eating a taco salad I had the kids bring me last night and I forgot about all the sallt in Mexican food. Up 5 lbs so will leave ticker as is at least until next week.

Also, thought I would share my thoughts with the fairy avatar. I always said that my Daddy protected my Mama so much that she lived in a "fairytale" world and she had no idea what us girls faced each day out here. One day I realized that while I understand that the world is NO Fairytale that I had been raised with fairytale stories/thoughts. So when I was going through all this soul search the last few weeks or so I suddenly realized that I absolutely love Fairytales/Disney world ideas and that I needed to "wake up and smell the coffee". This life is really real and it throws a lot of junk at us to wearus out and get us to just give up and quit. So I changed my avatar to the fairy because I love the fact that you see her back (which I'm sure is done for the effect of the wings). However, to me personally it is a symbol that I am turning my back on the fairytale crap I've been fed all my life and loved so much.

In real life, things don't always have a Happy Ever After. I have to get back to working for what I want in my life. Happiness DOES NOT JUST HAPPEN!! WEIGHT LOSS DOESN'T JUST HAPPEN AND NEITHER DOES "HEALTHY". It takes work and I will do what is necessary to make it happen and the first step is turning my back on the fairytale world..

Don't know if that makes sense or if I'm making it clear or not.

Y'all have a great day

fatmad
06-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi everyone: haven't dropped in for a bit. Have been busy with wedding prep and unfortunately, haven't been eating as well as I would like. Too much junk and carby food. Picking up DD tonight in Toronto to bring her back for a few days of prep before the wedding. As well as practical details, I am treating her (and myself) to leg waxing tomorrow, massages on Thursday, and mani-pedis on Friday. The dress is ready, but I still need shoes and a belt, so will leave early for Toronto to find some. I found a perfect pair yesterday at a vintage shop, but they were a size too small. Maybe the big city will do better.
I have been reading a bit to catch up, and am worried a bit about the drama in the lives of some of our friends. I am barely coping with happy stressors, and am really sorry for the difficulties. Hope that we can each take the opportunity to learn to cope with these without diving into bad foods.
I am not actually tracking right now, and know I will regret it later, so will restart that today.
ttfn, will try to get back later this week.

Riemontana
06-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Hello Everyone!

Fbs at 84 this morning. I got in about 30 minutes of Walkitout. Not enough but I overslept and it would have been easy to convince myself that I didn't have time. At least I did some. My eating is on track but my weight is still high and stable.

I had my dr appointment last week and my dr did some extra tests for thyroid, etc. He called me on Saturday and told me that my results were "boring". Everything is normal, including bs. It was 88 about 2 hours after lunch. I was worried about thyroid, etc because my skin and nails are awful and I am still losing hair. At least I am healthy! I have been lazy about supplements lately. I need to get back on track with that.

Mad, I will be thinking of you this week as you count down toward the wedding. It will be a wonderful day. How lovely that you have included some pampering for you and dd in your plans.

Everyone else, sorry no more time for personals. I hope everyone has a great day.

Rie

pattygirl63
06-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Good Morning Chickies

Yes it does seem that all of us are having some sort of stress in our lives. Hope we can all get it under control. I am working at getting mine down as I am working on ME & MY HEALTH... putting me and my needs 1st for a change. It is really strange but since I blew up and let it be known how I feel things have been a little better. This kids still don't do all they are supposed to do, but I've decided they are just NOT GOING TO CHANGE so I do what I am willing to do and force them to do what I will not tolerate them not learning to do. DH seems to go along with me so that is good for me. They have no idea how he really feels about them. He says they are slobs and they enjoy being slobs. So things are better for me. I don't do anything with them or for them that I don't want to do if it is something that I don't HAVE to do. So as my sister would say, "I pick my battles and let go what I feel comfortable about letting go".

Well, I'm headed to the Y for day 2 of machines. I'll say one thing about that... it is a good stress reliever but it also was good for my sleep. I took my Melatonin since DSIL is home today and I didn't have to get up early. Got my laundry done before I went to bed and I slept like a log. I went to bed and went to sleep and didn't move even to go to potty for hours. Now if I'm good and eat right hopefully all will be better later health wise.

Y'all have a good day. Thinking of each and everyone of you although didn't mention any names.

Butterfly50
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Hey ladies sitting here on the stove cooking me up some meals I have some spaghetti going and a big tray of chicken in the oven I have decided that it will be worth me pre cooking my meals for a while so it will take alot of the confusing away and I wont have to worry about my food disappearing into someone else. I also am making Sugar free Jello with a dollop of sugar free cool whip and they making me some home made Ice Cream sandwiches . Use Graham crackers and some sugar free Cool whip and then some others will be doing good for me I also have decided to boil me some eggs and freeze servings of oatmeal and I wont have to cook jest pull out and heat it up will be on track for a while and after all this I will be walking and working out everyday and I am pledging to myself that I will be checking my sugar before and after every meal for a while to keep track of it and get back into the routine.

So I better be going have so much to do .. Check back later..

pattygirl63
06-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Hey ladies sitting here on the stove cooking me up some meals I have some spaghetti going and a big tray of chicken in the oven I have decided that it will be worth me pre cooking my meals for a while so it will take alot of the confusing away and I wont have to worry about my food disappearing into someone else. I also am making Sugar free Jello with a dollop of sugar free cool whip and they making me some home made Ice Cream sandwiches . Use Graham crackers and some sugar free Cool whip and then some others will be doing good for me I also have decided to boil me some eggs and freeze servings of oatmeal and I wont have to cook jest pull out and heat it up will be on track for a while and after all this I will be walking and working out everyday and I am pledging to myself that I will be checking my sugar before and after every meal for a while to keep track of it and get back into the routine.

So I better be going have so much to do .. Check back later..

Good for you Bonnie. You are going through some real stress things by others like I have. When I started standing up to everyone and taking up for myself, nobody liked it and they still treated me like crap. However, once I took charge of my life and showed them that I meant what I said IT IS AMAZING how they act now. I know they still don't necessarily like it, but you know what? They respect me and I don't know about anyone else but that is more important to me than anything else they could think of me. Had a landlady once who told me that "people (her kids included) didn't have to like her or love her, but by golly they were going to respect her". I decided right then that I liked that idea and adopted it. I'm saying all that to say this... Learn to take care of yourself and stand up for what you know is right for you. You can do that and still be kind to others, because whatever you do... you never go against what you believe is right. I tell the kids here that there are somethings I will compromise on and then there are things I will never compromise on because they are the right things to do. I told them that they don't have to like it, but since they live here and I am not going to compromise they they will have to learn to live with it. The little DGD only half listens and is slowly learning to come ask me what I mean... example they will not put a dvd back in the jacket and put it up. DH and I go to watch a movie and it isn't there and no one knows where it is. They have lost a dvd and can't find it. So I told them they could not take the expensive ones in their room to watch. Being 9 yrs old, she heard "you can't watch any movies in your room". Later she came to me and said "I looked everywhere and I can't find the movie. Do you mean I can't watch any movies?" I explained she can still take dvds and watch them but not the expensive blue rays and she has to watch a movie and take put it up before taking another one in her room. I suspect that since they may take several dvds to her room and then has to do a fast clean up mixes them and there are 2 movies in one jacket... one belongs and the other does not.

So they are learning to ask questions and treat me with respect. However, I have to admit it actually started when I started respecting myself. Bonnie, I really think you will get the same type of treatment as they see you respect yourself. Planning ahead as you did is a good place to start. I'm proud of you.

Butterfly50
06-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks trish . Yes I agree to I have told all that I am for myself I shocked everyone cause I spent the day cooking and When it came time for dinner no one was here so I decided that I wasn't gonna cook so they all came home and was like I guess it fend for yourself night I said that's right I am not cooking for people who are not home.

I showed them everything I cooked for myself today and I am not done I still want to do some other things I always want to have something good on hand all the time.

So I have the baby Tomorrow I will see what I can get done. ( The baby is My aunts Granddaughter) But I will get it done.

Will check back in the am Good Night for now.

Riemontana
06-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Good morning!

fbs at 80 this morning. I did an hour and 15 minutes of WalkItOut. I love that game. At first I feel a little sluggish and then when I am about 20 minutes into it, the endorphins kick in. It is great. Bonnie, I am on my 3rd island now... :carrot:

Bonnie, I am glad that you spent time preparing your food to have at the ready. I have learned that most of eating right (for me) is to have quick prepare or already prepared food on hand at all times. Good for you!

Trish, nothing is more important than simple respect. It sounds like you are teaching that lesson.

Mad, as I recall, this is the leg waxing day at the spa. Enjoy your time with DD and enjoy the female rituals. How healing and relaxing!

Ruth, how's it going this week? Are you still making it to the gym?

Rennie? Are you still here? I hope you are doing well and feeling good. Remember: the goal is progress, not perfection. :hug:

Well, I am off to a long day at work followed by pool leage.... Have a great day!

Rie

pattygirl63
06-20-2012, 01:25 PM
I got up this morning and felt like I must be an awful mean person. Kids are so rude. Dear hubby and I were getting trash together to go out that wasn't put out with the other. Since we only 1 pick up day, I freeze trash that would draw bugs and Tony had forgotten to get it. So I proceeded to put it in the trash that had not been taken out of one of the kitchen cans. Any way, DGS decided to put trash in a new bag and I told him not to get another bag as we were using the bag that needed to go out. Never knew if it was what I said or someone else because I thought any conversation going on was between DH & me. However, I think I may have missed something because of the way things went. I thought DGS was mad at me as they all usually are so I said "I know you are mad at me Tyler but you will just have to be mad". Then I saw him pickup a glass that belongs to the baby that still had some milk in it. I heard him say "Hey guys, I'm tired of this. I have spent the last 2 days finding and cleaning up these glasses with curdled milk in it". His mother said "Well let's just make this a ***** at everyone night". I just finished what I was doing and left the room. DGS was only saying to them what I felt because I used to be the one finding all that stuff. It's just that I used to clean it up without saying anything. Tony didn't like it, but as usual he said nothing to them. He did tell me that if I keep saying things I'm pushing them away from me and they will not want to be around me. At this point I don't care to be around them either. They are such ungrateful, lazy moochers. So this morning, I woke up and called the church and went to see the Pastor. Told him I was praying and trying to work this out on my own but I just can't. He wasn't aware that they were living her for nothing. I told him I felt like I was a horrible person, but he says I'm just frustrated. He that I have one of 2 choices if I want to keep my marriage. #1 Don't say anything to them about anythiing. He says they know what they are doing or not doing. At this point, he says anything I say to them will just be "Nagging" to them. #2 He said for me to make up a budget showing what is going out and then give it to Tony and let him do whatever he wants to do. He says I am not the one who has to work this out because they are his kids. So basically, I guess I am to stay out of it as much as possible. Pastor said it is true we are supposed to help others when we can, but he doesn't believe we are supposed to walk all over you. He was shocked to learn that Tony does the lawn. He said he just assumed that Tyer and Richard would help. I told him, "There are 2 trash cans in front of the house that need to be brought into the garage because they are empty. When I get home, they will still be there and I will be the one to take them in. They will walk right by them and leave them until Tony or I go out and bring them in." I told him, "That is the kind of people I'm living with". I told him I wasn't as upset about the fact that they can't pay as difficult as that is, it is the fact that there is no appreciation for what is being done for them. So, I have the Y to go to and I'm going back to Bible Study tonight. I'm going to find more things to do away from home and ride it out the best way I can.

Even my preacher said that "I need a miracle".

Ruthxxx
06-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Patty, your preacher is right. In a way, you are enabling them - for example bringing in the trash cans when they were supposed to do it. Hang tough. This too shall pass.

Well, from 188 to 185 in 48 hours so the gain was definitely water. Had a pedicure yesterday (big treat!) and the technician noticed my ankles were really puffy. I've been drinking lots of water and running to the potty a lot - good thing as we are in a severe heat wave - 97ºF is major up here! I'm sure it's even worse where Mad is in southern Ontario. BGL is staying stable and I am eating properly with lots of veggies and yummy local strawberries.

fatmad
06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi everyone: well things are going well. We had the wax day yesterday, I got the rest of the plantings done, and did lots of errands with DD. Haven't spent this much time together in years.
For comparison Trish: she helped make supper, did the dishes afterward as I was planting and cleaned one of the bathrooms and tidied a corner of the kitchen. I know she wants the house looking good for her wedding too, but I did find that after her first year away at university, she came home a better roommate in general. On the other hand, if DD and her family lived in a slovenly home, they probably rarely tidied up after themselves and aren't doing anything different. My daughter's apartment gets tidied at least for visits, and since its so small, doesn't tend to get too out of hand. I saw it on Tuesday, in what she said was a big mess after packing and getting ready for wedding stuff, and it was untidy, but not worrisome, and not very dirty.

Ruth, my weight is back down too after highs after the weekend, when I enjoyed hotdogs at the ballgame. Just have to be careful for a few more days, don't want to gain an ounce as the dress waistband is just slightly tight, and is ok at this weight, but not more. It is wicked hot even first thing this morning. Oh well, a little more painting and lots of cleaning today, before we go for massages this afternoon.

love2b150
06-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Rie I'm still here. Thanks for asking. Things are as well as can be. We have a ton going on here. Like Trish I need to go talk to my Pastor also. I feel like every time I talk to him about one issue and we pray through it another arises. My Pastor said I am one of those people that you would never know has any issues because I always appear happy and I am always smiling. (I seem to fake life's issues really well.)

Listening to all of what you all are saying here just reflects what I am going through here plus some.

My fbs have been in the 140's to the low 150's this week. My weight is up also. I am going into work 2 hours earlier since the kids are out of school. I'm not sure if that plays a roll in my blood sugar or not. I am going to bed an hour earlier so I thought it would average out. I forgot my Metformin on Tuesday and had my daughter bring it to me and yesterday I remembered to take it with me but it wasn't until before Bible study that I remembered I forgot my morning dose.

Bonnie and Trish good for you on doing some things for yourselves. Trish on the DVD's I am still having an issue with my kids putting them back in their cases. :)

Madeleine love hearing about the time you are spending with your daughter, enjoy :)

Rie what platform is walkitout on? If it's fun, I'd like to give it a try. :)

Ruth nice loss :)

I hope I didn't miss anyone, it so it's not intentional :hug:

pattygirl63
06-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Good Evening Chickies I decided to call a meeting with the grands this morning. Layed my cards on the table. I told them I decided to go to counciling yesterday and would go again if I need to. Did not tell them where I went or who I talked to... it isn't any of their business. Didn't tell them what I said or what the counsellor said. I shared with them what I learned and what I took from the counciling. I was very clear about how I felt about everything what I expected and what I will and will not do. Told them the way they act is what my grandmother always called heathenism, but I just called it being morons. Told them I was not going to say anything to them any more about anything because they know they don't do what they are supposed to do and they don't care. I told them they are manipulators who say whatever they think they have to say and then do as the please. Then explained how a manipulator is the same as a con artist. I worked in TX prison system and the only thing I remember learning at the academy was the con artist. Intervewer asked the con artist "Don't you feel ashamed of the way you do the people you con?" The guy said "Naw, it doesn't bother me. If they are stupid enough to fall for what I do, I figure they deserve it". Then used the situation at DQ when I had told them I was taking them for ice cream and they tried to trick me into buying more. They did talk me into a blizzard for DSIL, but I did not give in to the burgers. They were very ungrateful for the ice cream so I won't be doing that again soon.

You know I don't know why I didn't do this before. As I write this, I remember reading a book for step-mothers years ago and I just realized what I did today is what the book recommended. I told them, I am not your real grandmother so you don't have to like me or love me. I had hoped we would at least be like family, but evidently that is not what y'all want. That is fine. I can live with that. However, I am your grandads wife and I'm not going any where. I explained that when we let them move in, we changed a lot of things in our lives/lifestyle to fit around them, but I'm changing that now. They will work around my lifestyle... explaining this is my house and their grandads and this situation IS TEMPORARY and we can get through it as friend or foe and that was up to them. I explained to the oldest DGS that I had tried to help him because I saw how much responsibility he had, but once he started treating me disrespectively then he lost my respect and I will NOT be doing all the things for him any more . Told him the dirty bottles etc he griped to his mother about the other night is just one example of what I've been taking care of for a whole year. Told them grandad toldme not to clean up but I had told him if I didn't it would never get done. He looked shocked. Told oldest DGD "I only gave you one chore and you refuse to do it. Told them I never asked anyone to do anything I would not or could not do and I can do it 10x better and a whole lot faster. I explained to them what bordering is and how it works. Kind of gave them, especially the oldest, a quick lesson on economics 101 and who wants to be an engineer so he doesn't have to worry about money. I told him that if he doesn't learn how to handle his money that it won't make any difference how much money he makes because he will always be broke because you cannot live spending more than you make. (Really strange thing? I turned on tv after we finished talking and thought I was getting ready to watch one preacher I like and was shocked that I had another one I like. So I thought well I'll just listen to her instead. I ended up backing it up and calling DGS in to watch it as she was talking about how the Bible tells us to take care of our money and our stuff.) He watched it and said to me "Did you use to live next door to her or something? Only difference in what she is saying and what you tell us is she says amen while she is talking and you don't.) Strange huh?

It is really strange. I was so calm it even amazed me. At one point, it reminded me of when I'm making a speech at church. It didn't take me very long to talk to them and get my point across. I never felt any real emotions. I believe that it was the miracle and wisdom Pastor prayed for God to give me. When we finished, I told them that was all I had to say and asked if they had any questions etc. The youngest DGD looked at me and said, "I'm sorry". Oh I know this is long but I must share this about her. I took care of her from 3 months to 3 yrs old when we moved to SC. When at DQ she spilled her blizzard. I didn't realize what had caused it. She is flighty and I really didn't get upset with her accidents happened. But I had got made at her when she smarted off at me. Any way long story short, I found out from oldest DGD that Hannah was trying to copy her. Haley didn't have much left in her cup and turned it up, but evidently not upside down. I didn't see it... Haley told me about it. Hannah gets in trouble all the time by trying to be like Haley and Tony and I suspect Haley uses that to get Hannah in trouble although that was not true in this situation. It was genuinely an accident because Hannah didn't understand what she was doing was not the same as Haley and her blizzard was completely dumped.

Well, I think Hannah's flighty personality is because her daddy left when she was 3. I've seen children who lose daddy's at or around this age especially girls. She is alway acting for attention and love because she (of course she doesnt' realize it)misses that daddy relationship. I was able to take the opportunity to let her know that she is Hannah and she isn't supposed to be Haley.

Results -- They have been great. Don't really know what the oldest DGD has done, but the little DGD worked like a little housekeeper. Attitudes are great. They had problems with the baby. I told DGD, "I can teach you some things if you want, but I'm not going to force it". Then he asked what he should do. I told him how to handle the situation and explained to Hannah how what she thought was helpful wasn't. You know in the beginning we all thought they were here for me to be a real influence on the kids and now I see how that can be possible.

I know this is long, but y'all have walked through and supported me so much through all the horrible part of this so I just had to share the good stuff too. Is it solved? Knowing life probably NO, but we have overcome a hurdle and while I may never be "grandmother" since I'm not theirs really, maybe we can build a "friendship". At least, they know they can trust me to be who I am and they know I am on their side. And that will be worth it all.
Example, I remember one day when my daughter was a young girl came home from school and said, "Mama, I need you to say no". She never told me what it was about all she said was "Someone wants me to go do something and I don't want to do it. So I just need you to say NO". I said "No" and that was it. I hope I just showed the kids they can have that kind of confidence in me.

Thanks Guys.

pattygirl63
06-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Ruthie I am loving the strawberries here as well. You take care of those swollen ankles.

Mad I am so glad things are working out so great with you and your daughter. I think she just needed to get out on her own and get some experience on her own. I forgot when the wedding is going to be. Is it this weekend. I'm happy for you.

Rennie :hug:You know what? I am bad about hiding what is going on with me as well and it really took me a long time before I would go for help. As I talked with the DGC today, I realized that God was answering his prayer for me. I had peace when I left there and there was such peace when I set down and talked with the children. It is strange for me to say this because DH and I are in charge of the online prayer ministry for our church. We get the prayer requests that come in and then DH sends them out to our prayer partners in the church so I should know this first before anyone else. It is good to pray on your on and many times that is enough, but sometimes we need someone else to pray with us.

Bonnie :hug:Hang in there and keep doing nice things for yourself. I feel your pain of stress and prayers coming your way. Thank God these things don't last forever so focus on what is good for yourself. It is not selfish or wrong to make time for Bonnie.

Rie I think about you working with kids. You probably see a lot in your job with things kids go through and trying to help them is not easy but it is rewarding. I taught 5 year olds for a while, but I had a child that had lots of problems and at that time no one knew how to handle him. He was seen as a behavior problem, but I think he probably should have been in a special school for his needs. I ended up quitting my job because I knew I couldn't do anything with this child and my frustration was getting unbearable for me. DH oldest DGS was that type of child himself so to see him graduate and going to college on scholarships is wonderful. I always wondered what happened to the little boy in my class. I felt God gave me a second chance to help DGS get to this point in his life. So let me say that people like you who work with these kids are much appreciated. I wonder how many people are in jails etc because no one knew how to help them find their way because they were different and marked as behavior problems. Thank you for loving kids enough to help them like you do.

If I missed anyone, I'm sorry. Have a good evening.

Riemontana
06-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Hello Friends!

fbs at 77 this morning and my weight is still high and stable. BTW, I post my bs daily because it helps to keep me on track. Yesterday I woke up with terrible muscle spasms in my neck and shoulder. This happens about once a year.:( so, muscle relaxants and pain pills started last night. I am feeling much better but I still need the pills. Last night I couldn't turn my head and now I can turn it, it just hurts. ;) I can't take them today because I am headed for the mountains to go camping with friends. I am glad that my ds is going to load everything up for me. I will arrive at the camp about 5 hours before the rest. I will sit by the river and read the afternoon away. It sounds like heaven.

Trish, you are certainly teaching the grands well. Yes, I have spent 20 years working with troubled and delinquent teens and I have seen lots of tragedies. Also lots of victories. I really love my work but it can be discouraging. I always tell people, "If I can only save one kid in 20, it is worth it". But those kind of odds make me weary sometimes.

Speaking of the kids, do you happen to know what their house was like before they moved in with you? I ask because we often encounter kids with weird/poor habits. For example, the staff have complained about certain kids who don't flush the toilet. Well, some folks do not have constant (or free) running water so they don't always flush after each use. Is it possible that your DD's housekeeping was such that the kids haven't been taught to clean up after themselves?

Rennie, Walkitout is a game for the wii. Both Bonnie and I own one. Essentially, it is a video game that you earn your points by walking in time to music. It is available at game shops or online for really good prices. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Walk-It-Out-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002CZ7P04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340375484&sr=8-1&keywords=WalkItOut+for+the+wii It looks like a kids game but it is so much fun and a really good walking workout. I used to do walk away the pounds but this is much better. Feel free to pm either me or Bonnie if you want more info.

Ruth, I asked my dh to make strawberry and baby spinach salad with splenda. It is so good! I could eat a mixing bowl full! :o I am glad that your ankle swelling is doing better. Do you have fun events on your agenda this weekend?

Mad, in the final countdown for the wedding! Having been through a couple weddings of my children, I know that you are under a lot of stress. Enjoy the weekend!

Well, I will be out of internet range for a couple of days. I will check in here when I get back.

Rie

pattygirl63
06-22-2012, 11:33 AM
[Riemontana;Trish, you are certainly teaching the grands well. Yes, I have spent 20 years working with troubled and delinquent teens and I have seen lots of tragedies. Also lots of victories. I really love my work but it can be discouraging. I always tell people, "If I can only save one kid in 20, it is worth it". But those kind of odds make me weary sometimes.

Speaking of the kids, do you happen to know what their house was like before they moved in with you? I ask because we often encounter kids with weird/poor habits. For example, the staff have complained about certain kids who don't flush the toilet. Well, some folks do not have constant (or free) running water so they don't always flush after each use. Is it possible that your DD's housekeeping was such that the kids haven't been taught to clean up after themselves?

You hit it right on the nail.
Their mother is one of those people who cleans house to impress people otherwise no one cleans or picks up anything if they don't have to. Clothes are washed when they have to be and then just thrown in the middle of the floor. When they lived in their own home the girls room was always a mess and dirty. You would never have wanted to take a bath in the kids bath tub. DSIL son evidently told his mother how the house was because CPS was called out on them. Of course, they cleaned everything up for CPS and got out of it. And utilities were always being turned off. Tony and I payed to have utilities turned back on when we spent a week with the kids so she and hubby could go on a cruise for their honeymoon. So this is the norm for them. Hopefully the children will be able to learn a better way of life while here.

pattygirl63
06-22-2012, 11:37 AM
This is a flyby. Got to get to the Y. I have a habit of going at noon and don't want to get out of it as I know me. Trying to become more disciplined. This will get me 4 days done. I think next week I will plan on just going Monday thru Friday and get 5 days every week. Also plan to get on kind of a routine to go with it. Will try to get back later. If not y'all have a great weekend.

Ruthxxx
06-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Quickie to let you know the water weight seems to be draining away very slowly. 183.4 this morning. Now to get through a foodie weekend - birthday party tonight with Chinese food and a Strawberry Social tomorrow. The strawberries would be fine BUT it also includes ham, potato salad, that sweet cole slaw and the usual macaroni salad! :shrug: I am trying to think of a legitimate excuse to opt out!

pattygirl63
06-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Ruthie Good luck with the chinese and strawberry parties. Glad that water weight is coming off. Enjoy your weekend.
The talk I had with the kids has worked. My home is finally peaceful. I told the oldest DGD that I appreciated the things she was doing as I noticed she had done her chore. She said,"I'll try to keep it up and do it everyday". I believe she means it. It seems that everyone is working within the boundaries I have set. Even DD and her DH are better. I saw him coming down the stairs with his dirty dishes. The dirty dishes usually collect upstairs until one of the kids bring them down.

I just do what needs to be done when I find things to be done. It makes it easier on me and a lot less stressful.

Bonnie,Rie,Rennie, Mad and others:wave:

fatmad
06-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Hello everyone: well things got way too busy in the days leading up to the wedding for me to post much. I was really careful with eating though. End result was today's weight about 168.8 is still below 170! I am thrilled.
Not feeling my best, work up at 7 am after going to be late (about 2 am) but throat is sore and scratchy. Having tea and some breakfast, and a tylenol for the sore throat. Will be a bit off plan today I expect, then back on plan tomorrow and for the summer I hope. Today will be clean up in the afternoon.

WELL< the wedding was about perfect. As always little things (like not having a table cloth on the signing table) didn't seem to matter. The vows were beautiful, the minister did a lovely homily, and everyone was happy. The speeches were short and heartfelt, and not a dry eye in the house as DD described the watershed moment when she felt the need to start her own family after sitting at my mother's deathbed, as she wanted to be loved the way she loved her grandmother. I can only say seeing my lovely daughter's and knowing they are as beautiful on the inside as on the outside, was one of the proudest moments of my life. I feel unworthy to be so blessed.
DH was wonderful, and the bride's friends helping were just wonderful.
Even some of my ne'er do well relatives pitched in at times quite unexpectedly, and helped with little things so that the bride and groom didn't have to deal with small matters.
The food (a bbq) catered by a nephew's firm, was excellent, and the local made pies were a total hit for dessert (no wedding cake) and though they decided on no dancing, the games and campfire (including music, and a little dancing) were wonderful. All told, the guest seemed to have a lovely time.
DD has 4 more days of teaching before the end of school, then is a bridesmaid for a friend (who was also a bridesmaid for my DD) then a monthlong honeymoon in Japan. I think they will spend the rest of the summer up at the lake, and hunting for a larger place. They are not in a big hurry to move, but by next year at this time, was larger home, I am hoping it gets filled with a new baby by then too. Lots of jokes about this, I gave them some fertility beads, and the quilt they were given has been dubbed "the babymaker" (if you ever saw the movie "the proposal" with Sandra Bullock and betty white, you will get the reference). Lots of fun and laughs and tears.
My dress and makeup were great, the hair stylist did a great job with a retro look of a bun off to the side, which was perfect with the vintage dress.
Ok so enough about me.
I have been reading about everyone and won't do personals now, but will chime in more as the week goes on. Hope things are going well, and thank you all for the well wishes. It means a lot.
Love m
:hug:

pattygirl63
06-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Mad Thanks for sharing with us. Your description made me feel I was actually there and it sounds like your DD has really matured. I felt your joy knowing they are as beautiful on the inside as that will take them far in life. What a wonderful reward for all your Mothering... makes all the rough times worth it.

CONGRATULATIONS Mad on making it through all the preps and festivities and still being under 170. You have done a great job. I am so thrilled for you and thankful that you are so blessed because you are always such a blessing to all of us here on this thread. I know you have sure been a blessing to me.

DD and DSIL went out for a while last night while the grands, DH and I watched a movie. They put the baby to bed before they left and said it would be no different than it would be if they were in their own home. Oldest DGS would be in charge of taking care of all the kids. So DH and I could just spend time with the grands. It was good time with the childen.

Got up and went to church. The 3 older grands went with us. Came home and their Mom came in and talked to them while I was changing clothes. I haven't seen her today so don't know what she and DSIL have done or been doing, but the 3 grands have been cleaning house since we got in from church. It seems that there are some major changes and they a pleasant. Everything is still peaceful. Many things I've done for them in the past that I would be glad and love to do, I've learned that I can't do for fear that I will ruin things and we will lose the ground we have gained. Sermon this morning helped me to see that I'm a person who has a good heart that causes me to have a desire to help people when I see they have a need. There are times that it is good to help others when we can, but I realized that sometimes this causes me to set myself up to be taken advantage of. I must learn when I'm helping someone and when I'm being used. Just because someone has a need doesn't mean I'm the one who is supposed to meet it. In fact, there may be times no one is supposed to help because they have to learn from their mistakes. So we have actually become more like 2 families sharing one house and I'm not sure that is a bad thing.

My eating is good. No real diet per se, but eating healthy and not eating emotionally is a big help for me. The exercise is a great stress relief. I have a few friends who keep trying to get me to take exercise classes, but I'm not going to let them do that. I love doing the incumbent bike and think I will add 5 min to it this week. I have been wanting to do resistent exercises and realized that is what the machines do. I may end up doing those 3 days a week rather than daily as I'm thinking about eventually adding the treadmill to what I'm doing but not sure how soon I'll add that. I'm going to learn how to listen to what my body tells me. So for now, I'm very happy with what I'm doing.

Hope everyone is having a Super Sunday.

pattygirl63
06-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Good Morning Chickies,

DGS has orientation at college today and tomorrow. DSIL went with him for a while... not sure when he will be back. I got up to take care of the baby as this is what DGS does in the mornings and oldest DGD was up with him. She said she was told to get up and take care of him today and tomorrow. So I am free, but will not leave this morning as I planned although DH is here and asleep. I told them I would not leave until I go to the Y at noon so will keep my word. DSIL should be back then. I don't see DD and DSIL much and they are taking care of baby or having the children take care of him. I'm not sure if there is still manipulation (punishing me by keeping baby from me) or they aren't sure what to do since their power of manipulation has been removed. However, I told the grandchildren when I talked to them that was all I had to say on my part, so I have said all I'm going to say. I have known real grandmothers as well as step-grandmothers who refused to even do what I'm willing to do. I used to wonder why they wouldn't do more for their children and grands. Maybe I just found out why. When we had our family meeting back in the beginning of this year DH told them that they had to take responsibily for themselves and their children because that is not our responsibility. Regardless of what game they are playing by keeping the baby away from us, it doesn't really matter. It is forcing them to grow up and take responsibility for the things that are not mine. Hopefully it will cause them to mature and when they do get into their own home again they will be able to make it on their own.

So I'm going to the Y around noon. Wanted to get my nails done but wouldn't leave. Might do that tomorrow. DSIL should be back by the time I come back home and DH gets up so DH and I are going out to eat and then on to Costco. I'm looking forward to our time together.

Eating is good. My weight is up a bit, but I'm sure that has to do with exercise changes etc. I believe that as I keep eating the way I am and keep exercising that eventually my body will catch up.

Y'all have a Marvelous Monday!!!

Riemontana
06-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Hello everyone! Happy Monday!

fbs at 87 this morning. I spent the weekend in the mountains on a camping trip with some friends. It was nice. My eating wasn't great but I did lots of moving around, wading the river and fishing so I didn't gain any weight :carrot: I hope to be out next weekend, also.

I don't remember if I told you guys but I had bought a little 5th wheel camper last month. I didn't realize that I can't pull a 5th wheel with my truck unless I buy a really expensive ($2000) hitch. :( So, I put the camper up for sale. I sold it for $500 less than I paid. The good news is that I found a bumper pull type camper for even less money so I broke even. I hope to go pick up the new camper tonight. With the camper, I can get it loaded and go any time I want. I won't have to rely on others for the packing and unpacking of gear. Now, it will just be : load the cooler and head out on my own. I am really excited!

Trish, I am not sure from your last post what is going on. It sounds to me like they have stopped treating you like a built-in baby sitter. That is a good thing! I hope that you get to spend time with the little guy on your terms - not as an obligation.

Mad, thanks for sharing about the wedding. It must have been lovely and I bet you looked wonderful in your dress. After weddings in my family I always have a mixture of pride, love, and sincere relief that it is "over";) It is a lot of pressure. :hug:

Ruth, glad that the diuretics are working and I hope that everything is going well for you.

Rennie, Bonnie, and others.... Have a great day!

Rie

pattygirl63
06-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Trish, I am not sure from your last post what is going on. It sounds to me like they have stopped treating you like a built-in baby sitter. That is a good thing! I hope that you get to spend time with the little guy on your terms - not as an obligation.

I do believe they have stopped treating me like a built-in babysitter which is very good. Now that I have taken a stand, they have to remember that DH had told them back in Jan or Feb that we are not going to be full time babysitters and it was not our job or responsibility to raise their kids. He told when the kids start arguing etc, we would send them upstairs because we were having to correct them all the time. I notice that we seem to spend a lot of time with the other 3... watch tv, movies etc with them (which the children ask to do or we make plans with them to do so), but we don't seem to get much interaction with the baby. I don't mind babysitting when they are working or even at other times if they aren't constant. I just think they should take care of him when they are home and that is what DH and I told them. However, now even when they are here, I see they have transfered from using me for fulltime babysitting to the children being fulltime babysitters. However, I'm not sure that is all bad because the oldest DGD needs to be up doing something else or sleeping all the time. I had told them in the beginning that I want to be able to enjoy being grandmother.

I really don't want to be a fulltime babysitter because I do not want that job when they do move. Don't really want it when school starts as I'm not sure how my going to the Y will fit in and hopefully by the 1st of next year I would like to start some exercising classes. I would love to get into some yoga classes. Never thought I would say it but he really needs to be put in special day care so he can learn to be around other children. So we will see how it goes. DH and I would love to have our own life back so we will be free to do things we want to do. I won't mind being a back up babysitter, I just don't want to be "the" babysitter. Then we would actually be able to do "grandparent" things with them.

So I'm not really sure what is going on either. It may not be manipulation at all. It could be that they just don't know how to do anything but extremes and need to learn how to balance things out. After all, it is because of their crazy extremes that they lost their home. Hopefully these things will work itself out in time and I hope they will come out of this situation smarter having learned from their mistakes so they can have better lives for them and their children. Guess that is why they're here. Just hope it works.

pattygirl63
06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Rie 2nd hubby and I loved camping and going fishing. Hubby #3 says "been there done that". One time 2nd hubby borrowed friends camper and we took a trip. Kids and I loved it and always teased him because he was the one who got tired of it instead of us. You have loads of fun and enjoy your camper.

Truly enjoyed my workout. I added 5 min incumbent bike for a total 20 min with the cool down. I used to love reading romance books. Well, I found what is Christian romance book that has 4 stories in one. I read a chapter while riding the bike. Did all the machines, but may do 2 or 3 of them only 3 days a week. Will have to see. My fbs is coming back down. Just changed into my jeans to wear this afternoon and they are looser. So even though the weight is up this week, the inches :carrot:are down. So the diet and exercise is working.

Bonnie, Ruthie, Mad, Rennie and others reading :wave:

fatmad
06-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Hey all:
Trish, hope this lasts a while, it seems that you often have these "talks" and things are good a few days or a week, and then they can't keep it up. So stay firm!
Rie: I love this idea of you with an easy to use trailer, just load up the cooler for your trips. You are a genuine outdoors woman, and should just go with it. If it gets you out and into the world you love, enjoy!
We are heading up to the lake on Manitoulin Island tomorrow. Last full day at home. Have been doing bs again, fasting below 5.4 every day for 3 days, and hs was 6 last night. I did have a high on SUnday, (ate pie at a buffet) up in the 7s three hours after eating, and felt crummy, so did atkins induction yesterday and will again today. Not sure if thats what I will do on the island too, or will revert to low carb ww while there.
I have no plans except long walks, a little swimming, some yoga on the dock, lots of reading. Will take the internet and laptop with me, but not planning much for sure.
Also, DH is not overweight, he is one of those lanky guys, but had been getting love handles the last year or so. Between the long hours of work he was doing landscaping, (and really physical stuff) and getting overheated and not being hungry as a result, he lost 8 pounds over the last few weeks, and added muscle, I can see a 6 pack under there. DD lost weight with stress over the last few weeks of wedding planning. I am soooo jealous, and was just glad not to gain. I think our response to stress, by eating is the real downfall of us overweight people. DOn't know if I can change that, but am really gonna try.
Love to all

Riemontana
06-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Good morning friends!

fbs at 78 this morning and I did an hour of walkitout. I feel pretty good. I was able to get the camper last night so I am looking forward to spending the evening getting it stocked. I am happy to report that I was able to hook it up, tow it, and unhook it by myself last night. :D

Mad, enjoy the time at the cabin. You deserve it. Yes, it seems like everyone around me loses weight due to stress and hard work. My dr says that I am like Sakajawea - the native woman who traveled with Lewis and Clark. She reportedly maintained her strength and didn't lose weight when others in the expedition suffered from lack of food. ;) Lucky me!

Well Sorry that I don't have more time for personals today. I want to let you know that I have set a challenge for myself:

I promise that I will engage in moderate exercise at least 30 minutes per day, every day during the next month. Anyone want to join me?

Have a great day!

Rie

Ruthxxx
06-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Hi, Chickies. Just checking in. BGL running fine but weight is a roller coaster these days. I am still retaining water off and on but hope to find a solution soon. Luckily it's not affecting my blood pressure - just my attitude!

I'm off to New Jersey for a decadent weekend and plan to relax and just enjoy time with friends. Laughter is good for the soul. I hope you can find some.

fatmad
06-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Rie and Ruth, have a great summer get-away. I will for sure. The dog loves to come to the camp, she gets to run around off leash, chase the squirrels that she can never catch, jump into the water for a bit, and generally have a good time. She sleeps so well at night! Will be drugging her for the drive and ferry ride, after our morning walk. Catch you all tomorrow, as long as we have power, I should be able to use the internet.
Hello to rennie, trish, and everyone else.

Riemontana
06-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Hello everyone,

fbs at 82 this morning and I did 35 minutes of walkitout. A friend of my ds was killed in a fire yesterday. It is sad. We will not be heading to the mountains this weekend.

Ruth, enjoy your weekend getaway. Time with friends sounds lovely.

Mad, I smiled at your descriptions of your dog's enjoyment of the great outdoors. Very cute. I hope you can relax and enjoy the time.

Rennie, Trish, Bonnie and others.... Have a great day!

Rie

Butterfly50
06-27-2012, 02:08 PM
This last week has been so awfull for me . I have not been on plan and I need to get back into it. Things here have been in a up roar and now things have calmed down and Now I have to get back and get busy... Man I hate this up and down .I have to get something going again!!! I am so miserable again !!! But I will get it togeather!!!!!!!!!!

pattygirl63
06-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Rie - I'll join you. I will go to the gym Monday thru Friday.

Mad - I know how this bunch works and I'm trying to stay on top of things daily. Example, DGS went to colloege orientation and he was telling me I would have to figure out what I was going to do with my schedule with the baby when he goes to school. So I had to remind him that the baby, him and his family ARE NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY and that I would not be the one who would have to make other arrangements because those things are his Mothers and Richards responsibility. I told him that I may very well choose to make some different arrangements, but that I WOULD HAVE TO BE ASKED and I will see what we can work out. I told him that I DO NOT LIKE TI WHEN EVERYONE JUST ASSUMES that I am going to do what they want. It is like I have to retrain them almost everyday on some things, but I just stay on top of things and retrain where it is important. They are going to have to learn that I do have a life and it is wrapped around them. I am going to the gym Mon - Friday and work out about 20 to 45 minutes. They are going to learn that is not negotiable. I am going to meet a friend for lunch after my Friday workout. And I also think that stress can affect our weight. I remember a friend of mine who I ended up working for would buy us lunch. I ordered exactly what I wanted as she did and one day she said to me, "I don't understand how you can be overweight and I'm thin, because I always eat far more than you do". I remember one time when I was in OA and my ex-SIL found out that we always confessed, "My name is Trish and I'm a compulsive overeater". She and I spent a lot of time together and she said, "You're not a compulsive overeater. Why do you say that?" And I wasn't. Back then I could follow any diet plan perfectly, they just didn't always work. So I think for us stress has a lot to do with our weight.

Rie, Ruthie and Mad - Enjoy your vacation.

Bonnie - I feel your frustration and hope things get better for you soon. I know how it can effect our eating and everything else in our life.

Didn't check BS today, but it was still a little high but it was back down yesterday. Will try to remember to check it tomorrow.

BTW those of you who do the gym machines. I start with the incumbunt bike and then I do about 8 machines. I am doing all of them everyday. I'm pretty sore later in the day, but I'm hoping the soreness will go away if I keep doing them. And I'm afraid if I don't do it everyday and skip that it will be easy to skip. When you go regularly do you do all of the machines everyday? Thanks.

Riemontana
06-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Hello All! fbs at 77 this morning and 30 minutes of walking for the day. :carrot: I didn't get enough sleep because I had pool league and I had trouble getting to sleep :(

Trish, I am amazed that your dgs would tell you anything about the baby's care! You are correct that child care is the responsibility of the parents. I am proud of you for sticking to your guns.

Bonnie :hug: I am so sorry that you are struggling! Hang in there and I hope things smooth out for you.

Mad, I hope you are enjoying your holiday.

Ruth, Rennie and others.... Have a great day!

Rie

Riemontana
06-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Hello all!

fbs at 77 this morning. I have an active day with a walk then a long and active day of getting the boat ready and the camper ready. Hopefully we will be pulling the boat out to the lake tomorrow for fishing.

Have a great day!

Rie

pattygirl63
06-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm headed out today to meet a friend for lunch. We are going to Golden Corral. I have young friends who are young enough to be my daughters and wondered "Lord, why are you putting these young people in my life" and then realized that maybe they are helping me to stay young. One of them is my beautician who got me to join the Y. So they are good for me and I hope I will have a good influence in theirs. One of them just lost her Mom recently and she is the same age as my oldest son.

Rie I was surprised at how dgs is. I've learned that as good as he is at times, he is quite the manipulater himself; but then he was raised by his a manipulater. Even DH says she is an expert at it. I've also noticed that dgs is really arrogant. He is extremely smart and he knows it and I've noticed that he is very prideful and I cannot compliment him as much as I used to. He was gone for 2 days at college orientation and when he returned his 9 yr old sister rain up to him and hugged him and told him she missed him. He pused her away and said "I know". I think that was rude. He is going to FL fora 3 week visit with his daddy and family there. I pray God will use it show him what he has here, but I have to say DH and I have wondered if he would even come back. BTW on the exercise... I'm committing to 4 days a week.

Bonnie I hope things are going better for you today.

Ruthie I am wondering if you and I are going to have to go back to eating more SB/Atkins woe. I like somethings about SB except I don't like eating lf/ff stuff so lean more towards Atkins. 2 things I always loved about low carb is the way it naturally tones the body and it keeps the fluids off. I'm going to have to rethink this. My body and my tastebuds are at war with each other all the time.:dizzy::?:

Rennie, Mad and others reading:wave:

Have a great week end.

fatmad
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
I now remember why I so dislike DH's laptop, I keep losing posts if my wrist hits a button, but I don't know which.
Bonnie: I am commiserating with you, I am eating way too much, and will have to cut back and be careful if I don't want to come home with a lot of vacation weight.
Have not been sleeping well, probably due to having some beer and wine, and snacking too much, which is a bad habit for me when reading. So, identifying these issues now, maybe can manage for the next couple of weeks.
Rie: if you ever come east, we apparently have great brown trout fishing in the river that runs through our village. I am not a fisher, but I see lots of people in waders in the shallows and its a favoured spot here. But Ontario is a LONG way from Montana, no?
It is really hot and humid back home, and while it is hot and sunny here, humidity not bad, and I have a lake to jump into. Will chat later everyone.
Happy Friday!

pattygirl63
06-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Mad I don't know what happens to my laptop but I lose posts or my cursor moves all over the place and I type in the wrong place sometimes. I don't know if I hit a button that causes it or what. Pain sometimes. LOL:dizzy:

Rie Thanks for the challenge for us to commit to exercise so many days each week. Making the commitment to exercise 4 days a week got me to the gym today. My lunch with my friend went longer than I expected and when I walked out of Golden Corral, I thought I would skip the gym today. This is my day to just do the bike as I already had my 3 days of bike and other machines. When I came to the street to turn and go down to the Y, I couldn't resist it. I only did a total of 15 minutes, but I did do it so I have my 4 days of exercise for this week. Thanks for the idea.

Lunch at GC went very well. My friend and I have not seen each other in months so we had a lot of catchin' up to do. She is having her 1st grandchild, a girl, in August. Really enjoyed getting out and visiting with her. We talked so much that we didn't eat a whole lot so I did really good with the eating.

Weather is supposed to be 106 degrees today and I do believe it is going to make it as it is 102 degrees right now.

fatmad
06-30-2012, 10:11 AM
hey everyone, just a quick hello, as Saturday is the day to go to the dump, and we have last years trash to take in. DH left in a hurry as he was closing up for the winter, (a dear friend had died and he had to come back to prep the eulogy for his funeral) and he didn't get that done.
Trish, i hear you about the low carb. I really enjoy having more carbs on ww, but have to say, I am getting where I am overdoing the grains again, and that causes me to crave more of them, and my pc blood sugars are a mess, all up around 7 or more!
But sticking to atkins is a real pain. I did it for a day and a half after the wedding and before we came up here. Well, Maybe tomorrow is a good start for that.
Have a lovely weekend ladies, the weather here is beautiful.

pattygirl63
06-30-2012, 05:41 PM
WI today and weight is back up. Ankles are swollen so I know it is mostly fluid, however, I think I need to cut the carbs back for a while as well as the salt. I say that because when I low carb, I don't have the problem with retaining fluids. I don't want to go as low as Induction for low carb, at least not for a full 2 weeks. But I think the fact that I'm retaining fluid means that I need to be eating a lot less at least long enough to get that fluid off. I read the Dukan Diet, but I have a problem with cutting out fat so I've ditched that idea. However, on it they do a kickstart phase of eating pure protein for 2 to 7 days with an average of 5 days being done. So I think I could do a 7 day Induction or at least until until most of this fluid comes off and then switch to a range of no more than 40 carbs.

There are so many different ways of doing low carb out there that I some of them can be combined. In fact I've seenhow some successful low carbers kind of do their own thing. I guess that is where counting carbs comes in. I still don't want to do a daily counting, but I've done it long enough to kind of have an idea so as to sort of guesstimate. I think I've figured out that eating something off plan so to speak isn't so bad once in a while as long as I stay true to the way my body needs me to eat at least 90 to 95% of the time. I've even read that some even allow one meal a day (Carbohydrate Addict's), some like Dana Carpander have planned "special occasions" when they eat a meal with carbs. I also know that I've learned that I am not the kind of person who can live by restricting any food so as to say "you can't ever eat this food ever again". This sets me up for eventual failure. At least I know this to be true for me. And this is why I prefer to think of myself as an Intuitive Eater rather than a dieter although I do prefer to eat more like a low carber most of the time. It is all about learning what will work for me long term and what way of eating makes my body function better.

Mad I have also learned that the more carbs, especially certain carbs, that I eat the more I seem to want. I think we have to find the limit and balance of how much we can eat without setting us up to eat more. We will do it.

Have a good day.

Riemontana
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Hello friends!

fbs at 82 this morning despite the fact that I forgot to take metformin last night. (almost never - whats up? :?:)
I have been having a couple of days of activity. I worked my tush off (I wish) from morning till late evening getting the boat ready. (I own a 16ft aluminum fishing boat with an 80 horse outboard motor. It is set up with fish finding sonar, trolling motor, etc :) ) I woke at 4am and we headed to the Bighorn Canyon Lake. It stretches some 45 miles between Montana and Wyoming. It is miles of beautiful canyon walls and water ranging up to 500 feet deep. It was a glorious day and I had so much fun. My body is aching from too much sun and all the activity but it was totally worth it! Last night we dined like kings on fresh bass and trout - cooked on the grill. Fresh cucumber salad and some fresh fruit and I had an on-plan dinner to end the day.... (minus the wine :D) I have attached a picture that captures rainbow reflections from the sun in the spraying water behind my boat.

Doing all this stuff sure keeps me active. Instead of lolling around by the tv this week I will be getting the camper ready to go. Summer is here and time's a wasting! :carrot:

Trish, is the heat making your fluid retention worse? I hope you are drinking enough water. I was reminded yesterday how important drinking water is to our bodies. I drank 3 20oz bottles of water during about 7 hours on the lake and (sorry tmi) didn't need the restroom. My body simply used it up in the heat! I need to keep drinking more water. Whatever plan you use for eating, as long as it works for you, I think it will be ok.

Mad, it sounds like you are enjoying the time at the cabin. Sorry that bs readings are out of wack. I don't seem to be able to do grains much at all without cravings and more eating. My bs doesn't react much but I sure eat more. Interesting to me is that I can eat fiber one cereal (so much fiber) some fruits and both potatoes and sweet potatoes in their purest form - baked. I don't get craving or much bs reaction. But, if I eat bread, baked stuff, or refined flour - even "whole grain" it is a problem for me. <sigh>.

I also hear that the fishing is lovely in Ontario - it is a LONG way from me. ;)

FYI: Mad and Trish, you are probably hitting the touch pad on the bottom of the computer. When 3fc was acting up a lot, I got in the habit of doing my posts in WORD and then I highlight, cut and paste here on 3fc. The nice thing is: if you make a mistake in word.... Just click Edit - Undo and everything pops right back.... sweet.

Ruth, I hope you are enjoying your holiday...

Bonnie, Rennie, Carol and others.... Take care. Off to meet the day today. Laters!
Rie

pattygirl63
07-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Rie I really hadn't though of the heat causing the swelling as I didn't realize the body holds the water because of heat. I took one of DH lasix and didn't really go to the potty much, but since I don't like taking them any way, I switched to my herb teas and green tea and I did go more. Yesterday I did mostly lowcarb and I was down 4 lbs this morning because I peed all day and most of the night.

Thanks for the ecouragement Rie. I have a whole new attitude about my life. I skimmed through the Dukan Diet book my friend returned to me and I started reading the New Atkins Book (I know a lot of people don't like the New Atkins, but I think you shouldn't through the baby out with the water so to speak) and they just reminded me of all the good things with lowcarbing. While the New Atkins says you can start with higher carbs, it also makes it clear why Dr. Atkins recommended Induction and then building up to the place where you know how many carbs your body will tolerate. I also found a thread on another site what does lowcarb but not as restricted. I thought about the different things I've done and actually I feel good/thinner when doing lowcarb. One thing that the New Atkins pointed out that caught my attention is that lowcarb lowers triglycerides and improves cholesterol. Of course, we also know that it improves fbs too.

Today DH and I went out for breakfast after church since we were alone. I was so excited about the fact that I could get an omlet that I forgot that if DH orders hash browns that I'm supposed to order grits and one orders bacon and the other doesn't. Well, he decided last time that he doesn't like their bacon. So he ordered his eggs with hash browns. I ordered my all meat/veggie omlet and so proudly said no to the hash browns and grits. I did call the lady over to get the grits so DH got his grits. I forgot that they automatically put toast on the plate and I did eat a small piece, but I sure didn't have all the carbs I usually have when I go there for breakfast. I am proud of myself.

I want to make Sunday my WI day so thank goodness the ticker will show a loss.

Y'all have a Blessed Sunday.

pattygirl63
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
HAPPY CANADA DAY TO ALL OUR CANADIAN CHICKIES!!!

Butterfly50
07-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Sorry for being MIA for a while but been busy here . Had to take Aunt to the Dr Friday she has been having problems with her vision and its been happening alot lately so they think she is having mini strokes or TIA's so she has to see a specialist . Then me and the hubby celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary. Now we have spent all day in 100 degree weather to put a pool up for our kids so they wont be boarded any more this summer. NOw my feet and legs are killing me and my back is telling me off.

I hope to get back on plan tomorrow since now I have some time and all the thinga are done for the moment will let you know how things goo..