General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #1  
Amazing will be me

Default Herbal remedies for anxiety???

Does anyone know what herbal remidies are best for anxiety.

I have been suffering from anxiety on and off for months now , i dont get panic attacks its more of a steady on going thing.
Worry over things that havent happened or worry about things that have been and gone. Worry that ive turned all the switches off when i go out.
I get this dread feeling and hate going out with out my other half and ive never been like this ever, even given up on driving. Feel like my independance is slipping away.
Im self employed and work nearer the weekends and have been looking for work for the past year or so to do aswell as my self employment.
However in dec i got a job then they decided to decline their offer of employment due to unsatifsaftory references due to an illness 4 year previous, then in jan I got a job but again never started as the company ended up laying people off rather than taking on THEN i decided to apply for a job i did years ago but had to leave due to being poor pay and travel expenses. But i had my car so decided to apply , it was a new company but within the same building and my ex manager interviewed me , we chatted etc etc and to me it went great but i didnt get the job. I apply all the time for jobs and get nowhere its gone on so long now im suffering anxiety , feeling like im unemployable and not good enough to be in the working world. A few year back i havd a bit of debt but managed to get it sorted and im now debt free however I live in a block of flats and if someone comes in he door im panicing its someone coming for money ....even tho i know i dont owe anyone.
My mind races all the time, there has been no one trigger but certain things make it worse.
Feel like i have so much to give and cant. If i didnt have my partner and my business id go crackers.
The only think i feel in control of is my gym and diet plan which is great as im losing and seeing great results even tho its a slow process , just feel the weeks are flying by im getting no further forward and my anxiety is getting worse.
ive suffered from depression in past , but i wouldnt say i was depressed as such maybe a form of depression but more anxiety. Will go and speak to doc but id prefer to see if somik herbal and help relax me .
Any advice greatly appreciated
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #2  
Lost

S/C/G: 140/140/125

Height: 5'9

gah i know how you feel i've had bad anxiety since i was a child, i also worry a lot and have been jobless recently because ''i'm to shy'' i'm introverted .. so if you are to i suggest you get a job where you dont have to deal with people so much.. like garden work or working with plants in general or a data input job or programming,librarian,researcher,Scientist jobs.. or try going for a job to work with the elderly or younger children, they tend to not judge as much so you have less to fret about.

i find liquorice root helps me if i have to go to a interview or go somewhere that will cause stress and anxiety.. when i mean licorice root/wood i mean the actual root of a plant, which is in its purist forum..

stay away from the liquorice root pills they dont work well compared to the actual root.. it's a bit tricky to eat but eating just half of it reduces acid in my stomach and my anxiety seems to subside along with it.
before you go out somewhere or you feel like your about to freak out.. chew and swallow half of a stick and wait 15 min for it took kick in..

if your having a really bad day and your stomach is really turning because of your anxiety eat 1 hole stick (Chew the stick bit by bit until you can swallow it) it's very sweet and has a slight earthy taste

do not eat more then one stick or you will be running to the bathroom, if you eat to much of it ,it becomes a laxative...but if your going to the bathroom anyway because of anxiety then just take the root anyway cause it will calm your stomach as long as you dont eat more then one.

these are not to snack on only take them when you need it,treat it like it's medication not candy.. so that your body doesnt get use to ingesting it..so when you do take it, it will work more quickly and not build a tolerance to it.

you can find this root/wood, in most herbal shops and chinese or oriental supermarkets.
sometimes you can find them shredded/chipped (which makes it much easier to eat)

in england victorians use to eat it as a sweet.
this root has fixed my acid reflux and helped with my anxiety so i do swear by it.

also try loose chamomile tea (no sugar no milk) also try sweet Fennel Tea

you can get it at a large suppermarket or herbal/health food shop
1 heaping teaspoon for a cup for chamomile and a normal teaspoon full for a cup of fennel.
please remember to Steep this type of tea so place something to cover the cup for 2-3 minutes while all the goodness comes out of the herbs

if you cant find loose then remember you should still steep even if you use teabags.

Last edited by VioletRain; 05-30-2012 at 09:38 AM.
VioletRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #3  
Amazing will be me

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletRain View Post
gah i know how you feel i've had bad anxiety since i was a child, i find liquorice root helps me if i have to go to a interview or go somewhere that will cause stress and anxiety.. when i mean licorice root/wood i mean the actual root of a plant, which is in its purist forum..

stay away from the liquorice root pills they dont work well compared to the actual root.. it's a bit tricky to eat but eating just half of it reduces acid in my stomach and my anxiety seems to subside along with it.
before you go out somewhere or you feel like your about to freak out.. chew and swallow half of a stick and wait 15 min for it took kick in..

if your having a really bad day and your stomach is really turning because of your anxiety eat 1 hole stick (Chew the stick bit by bit until you can swallow it) it's very sweet and has a slight earthy taste

do not eat more then one stick or you will be running to the bathroom, if you eat to much of it ,it becomes a laxative...but if your going to the bathroom anyway because of anxiety then just take the root anyway cause it will calm your stomach as long as you dont eat more then one.

these are not to snack on only take them when you need it,treat it like it's medication not candy.. so that your body doesnt get use to ingesting it..so when you do take it, it will work more quickly and not build a tolerance to it.

you can find this root/wood, in most herbal shops and chinese or oriental supermarkets.
sometimes you can find them shredded/chipped (which makes it much easier to eat)

in england victorians use to eat it as a sweet.
this root has fixed my acid reflux and helped with my anxiety so i do swear by it.

also try loose chamomile tea (no sugar no milk) also try sweet Fennel Tea

you can get it at a large suppermarket or herbal/health food shop
tablespoon a cup for chamomile and a teaspoon full for a cup of fennel.
please remember to Steep this type of tea so place something to cover the cup for 2-3 minutes while all the goodness comes out of the herbs

if you cant find loose then remember you should still steep even if you use teabags.
Thank you so much for your response , thats very useful i will try and get some, it may even help as ive been suffering from constipation
Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi,

I think you need to use a product with Magnolia Bark Extract which comes in capsule form. Margnolia bark is also the primary ingredient in Relacore which helps with stress-related eating, but is rather pricey. I use Relcore (without the a) which also has magolia bark but is more affordable. Try taking one and see if it takes the edge off, or take two if needed. It really works for me, as I had stress-induced eating at night for some reason.

I also use it if I'm going to a function as it just helps me to relax and enjoy it more.

Last edited by WebWoman; 05-30-2012 at 09:35 AM.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #5  
Lost

ah you replied quickly xD i re edited the top part about jobs and being introverted
''i also worry a lot and have been jobless recently because ''i'm to shy'' i'm introverted .. so if you are to i suggest you get a job where you dont have to deal with people so much.. like garden work or working with plants in general or a data input job or programming,librarian,researcher,Scientist jobs.. or try going for a job to work with the elderly or younger children, they tend to not judge as much so you have less to fret about.''

also a pharmacy job would be good for a introvert.
i was a dispenser in a pharmacy and even though i was doing the job well they kept saying i was to shy when it came to selling the over the counter products to customers .. i left that job because it was to far away from my house but i really enjoyed it there i felt comfortable and i felt like i was helping people by giving them there medication. and it actually paid well.

i think you dont trust yourself and you need to gain your confidence back as well, i also worry about lights being left on or something being left on xD and i check the door is locked 3 times before going to bed.. and stuff like that , looks like we both have to work on it

Last edited by VioletRain; 05-30-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #6  
Amazing will be me

Quote:
ah you replied quickly xD i re edited the top part about jobs and being introverted
''i also worry a lot and have been jobless recently because ''i'm to shy'' i'm introverted .. so if you are to i suggest you get a job where you dont have to deal with people so much.. like garden work or working with plants in general or a data input job or programming,librarian,researcher,Scientist jobs.. or try going for a job to work with the elderly or younger children, they tend to not judge as much so you have less to fret about.''

also a pharmacy job would be good for a introvert.
i was a dispenser in a pharmacy and even though i was doing the job well they kept saying i was to shy when it came to selling the over the counter products to customers .. i left that job because it was to far away from my house but i really enjoyed it there i felt comfortable and i felt like i was helping people by giving them there medication. and it actually paid well.

i think you dont trust yourself and you need to gain your confidence back as well, i also worry about lights being left on or something being left on xD and i check the door is locked 3 times before going to bed.. and stuff like that , looks like we both have to work on it
Thanks hun< i wouldnt say i was an introvert ive always been confident and worked in customer focused jobs , my business is face to face with clients but i feel like its decreasing at a fast rate. As my business is beauty related and i only work when i get the bookings i feel like i need to be more busier and when im not i get these anxious feelings.
Has anyone tried kalms or rescue remidy?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/163/145

I have herd Passionflower is good for anxiety and is supposed to have a calming effect - I have been suffering from insomnia for weeks now, I tried the passionflower last night and it did nothing for me so idk.
ghlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #8  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

A lot of people think it's a bunch of hoo-hah, but I cannot stress enough how yoga & deep breathing exercises has helped me. The thing is you don't just do it when you're feeling anxious - it's something you practice - every day - like an athlete practices a sport.

Couldn't hurt to try.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #9  
Amazing will be me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlover View Post
I have herd Passionflower is good for anxiety and is supposed to have a calming effect - I have been suffering from insomnia for weeks now, I tried the passionflower last night and it did nothing for me so idk.
yeah i read up on the passion flower , let me know how it goes may take a while to kick in.
Im going to go and get some rescue remedy as it has some good reviews and see what happens , trying something has got to be better than trying nothing lol x
Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #10  
Amazing will be me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
A lot of people think it's a bunch of hoo-hah, but I cannot stress enough how yoga & deep breathing exercises has helped me. The thing is you don't just do it when you're feeling anxious - it's something you practice - every day - like an athlete practices a sport.

Couldn't hurt to try.
yeah can totally get that, my doc recommended that years ago to me i used to do it at home via dvd,
Thing is now im not sure if id be in to it, maybe just try relaxation techniques and breathing techniques.But can see how yoga would help. I have a gym routine i do weights and hiit training, not sure if my gym does yoga but will ask incase i change my mind x
Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #11  
Lost

Quote:

Couldn't hurt to try.
i agree with you when i was younger i use to do a lot of meditation and it really grounds you and you feel more at one with things and in better control, the hard part is making time in the day to actually make yourself sit still for 20min to do it.

-anyone tried kalms or rescue remidy?
no i've never heard of it before but i read that rescue remedy has brandy in it and thats really the only ''active'' ingredient and we all know any alcohol can calm someones nerves temporarily.. a lot of alcoholics tend to be alcoholics just to try and stop there anxiety or shyness so i wouldn't recommend rescue remedy

Last edited by VioletRain; 05-30-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #12  
Amazing will be me

Quote:
i agree with you when i was younger i use to do a lot of meditation and it really grounds you and you feel more at one with things and in better control, the hard part is making time in the day to actually make yourself sit still for 20min to do it.

-anyone tried kalms or rescue remidy?
no i've never heard of it before but i read that rescue remedy has brandy in it and thats really the only ''active'' ingredient and we all know any alcohol can calm someones nerves temporarily.. a lot of alcoholics tend to be alcoholics just to try and stop there anxiety or shyness
Brandy? Oh i didnt know that, may just try the kalms then for now, i havent been to the gym for over a week so im sure once im back in my routine i will calm down a bit, as i always feel goot and refreshed when im in routine.
Had a bit of a bad weekend , and my eating had been bad and ive had alcohol so think its all contributed and knocked me off track. Back to the gym tonight tho x
Old 05-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #13  

Vitamin B50 has really helped me. If you are low in any of the B vitmains, you tend to be more "on edge" and worrying. It has made a huge difference to me, better still, it's readily available and cheap to buy!!
Bijoux00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #14  
Amazing will be me

thanks everyone, i ended up getting some rescue remedy and multivitamins and im deff feeling more relaxed.

I didnt get the "instant" feeling with rescue remedy though that people rave about it took about 24hours before i felt a slight change it works but think its over rated a little x
Old 06-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Quote:

Couldn't hurt to try.
I was totally about to say just this!! I don't know about herbal remedies but I know yoga (especially gentle yoga with lots of focus on breathing) helps me immensely.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote